Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Yes I would expect that since it's a LOT more than Netflix and it's just sports really. Google would not be hurting supporting this niche of users. My opinion of course.

They do have a large select of sports (which is a plus for some), but there are a lot more channels than just that. Everyone watches different things, of course. The only channel I miss is the History channel.

More importantly ... if I download this app ... does it permanently replace the standard Youtube AppleTV 4 app that shipped and is currently installed on my AppleTV?

It's a separate app.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
None of this really matters when most of us have no DirecTV DVR.

It's a DVR *in the cloud*, as with all of these services. Not a box.

Some of them include it, some of them treat it as an option, some of them treat a higher storage limit as an option.

Any concept of "storage limit" really has little meaning, since they aren't making a copy for you - they're just ticking a box (bit) telling them that they can't delete that show because at least one subscriber wanted it saved. As a practical matter, they need to keep almost everything for whatever period they are committing to saving your recordings for.

You can try any of these services for free for a short trial term. So, then, you WILL have a DirectTV Now (or Hulu TV, or Playstation Vue, or SlingTV, or....) DVR.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Youtube TV works extremely well for me. In the Portland market, they have more local channels available than DirecTV does, so that was the decider. I find that Youtube in general streams very well, and their TV service is no exception. YMMV

I'm planning on activating my 1 week trial soon, but I'm curious if you watch soccer. Do you know if you can watch most of the Timbers games? I don't follow them, but my dad does and I've been trying to help them cut the cord and move away from their monthly $100+ cable tv bill.

Does this come with the YouTube benefits (no ads on YouTube)?

No, Youtube Red is a separate subscription.

robmorgan78

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2002
Portland, Oregon
Youtube TV works extremely well for me. In the Portland market, they have more local channels available than DirecTV does, so that was the decider. I find that Youtube in general streams very well, and their TV service is no exception. YMMV

Also in the Portland market and YouTube TV works well.

Reactions: DaveOP

Allards

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
If it's $9.99 I would consider, $35 never! Or does this include Netflix, Prime and HBO?

soheilk

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2014
It's a DVR *in the cloud*, as with all of these services. Not a box.

Some of them include it, some of them treat it as an option, some of them treat a higher storage limit as an option.

Any concept of "storage limit" really has little meaning, since they aren't making a copy for you - they're just ticking a box (bit) telling them that they can't delete that show because at least one subscriber wanted it saved. As a practical matter, they need to keep almost everything for whatever period they are committing to saving your recordings for.

You can try any of these services for free for a short trial term. So, then, you WILL have a DirectTV Now (or Hulu TV, or Playstation Vue, or SlingTV, or....) DVR.
We have DirecTV Now and don't have the DVR option. If I remember correctly the DVR option is still in beta and only available to a few lucky customers
[doublepost=1517561315][/doublepost]
We have DirecTV Now and don't have the DVR option. If I remember correctly the DVR option is still in beta and only available to a few lucky customers

Yes, DVR will be rolled out this spring: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/31/directv-now-new-features-coming-spring-2018/

etop8222

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2016
I switch from DirecTV satellite to it a few weeks ago and have been pretty happy with it. I tried the one week free trial first - that's the only way to see if it will really work for you. I tried the Hulu trial before that and my wife was lost by the user interface so that was a non-starter.

dhershberger

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2018
Ohio
I am a satisfied YouTube TV customer because it offers most what I want: live local channels, live local sports and live cable news - though it doesn’t offer all I want. For the most part I desired live broadcasts along with local channels and, until recently, most offerings were everything but that. $35 to drop cable? In a heartbeat.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Anyone here using Playstation Vue? Tried all of them (Sling, Youtube tv, Hulu tv, Direct TV now) but they seem to lack that overall tv/cable experience (Especially when it comes to DVR). Highly recommend PSVUE.

Vue user here since shortly after it first rolled out and quite happy with it. Its channel lineup fits our family's viewing habits best, it was the first with DVR functionality, its guide is most similar to traditional cable/sat (important for my family's transition to it ). Our market has all the locals that carry NFL games and best regional sports coverage for our area as well (a must for hockey here). I've tried all except YTV and this was easily our favorite. The availability of an app helps but YTV's channel lineup doesn't match up well for us.

Reactions: Fruitblaze

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
What kills the whole service for me isn't the lack of certain channels, it's the terrible policy on DVR'd content. Once a show is available on-demand (typically withing 24 hours of airing), your DVR'd version of it gets replaced with the on-demand version. What this means is now you can't fast forward through commercials. No thanks YouTube. Not paying you money to be forced to watch 8+ minutes of commercials per half hour show. No wonder DVR storage is "unlimited", because they reserve the unlimited right to remove your recorded content and replace it with versions that have commercials that can't be fast forwarded.

Reactions: tbayrgs

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm planning on activating my 1 week trial soon, but I'm curious if you watch soccer. Do you know if you can watch most of the Timbers games? I don't follow them, but my dad does and I've been trying to help them cut the cord and move away from their monthly $100+ cable tv bill.

No, Youtube Red is a separate subscription.
I moved here in July of last year, and actually attended quite a few games, but never watched them on TV. We do get Fox Sports regional, is that what the Timbers are broadcast on? We are hoping to go to a bunch more games this year, so have not really looked into TV coverage yet.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
What kills the whole service for me isn't the lack of certain channels, it's the terrible policy on DVR'd content. Once a show is available on-demand (typically withing 24 hours of airing), your DVR'd version of it gets replaced with the on-demand version. What this means is now you can't fast forward through commercials. No thanks YouTube. Not paying you money to be forced to watch 8+ minutes of commercials per half hour show. No wonder DVR storage is "unlimited", because they reserve the unlimited right to remove your recorded content and replace it with versions that have commercials that can't be fast forwarded.

I don't care for this either but 35 a month for this is a steal. I don't watch much tv as in live tv channels or shows as it is but this does the trick. DVR, locals, 6 user accounts or so, and some pain on commercials vs around 100 a month for directv?

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Pretty sure the commercials are part of the live tv stream and not additional ads on top of them.
That is correct. I have been using YouTube TV for about 3 months and it works well for me. I was an early cord cutter (about 5 years ago) because I travel a lot and didn't want to pay for a cable package at home when I was gone so often. YouTube TV along with an unlimited data plan on my iPhone and iPad allows me to watch live TV anywhere and I like being able to "record" as much as I want to watch later.

This is a great service for my needs but as others have pointed out, it lacks 4K support and a few other features so it may not be the best solution to everyone.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I don't care for this either but 35 a month for this is a steal. I don't watch much tv as in live tv channels or shows as it is but this does the trick. DVR, locals, 6 user accounts or so, and some pain on commercials vs around 100 a month for directv?

Not all on demand shows have commercials. It varies based on the network.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
$35/month with commercials!? No thanks.

And why wouldn't there be commerials? ABC, CBS, NBC, ESPN, etc, etc, etc. So you want to watch all these channels live without commerials? Three minutes of a black screen instead? There ain't no free lunch.

$35 or a tad more than a buck a day. Sounds like a great price to me IF you don't need DVR ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Scrip

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
That is correct. I have been using YouTube TV for about 3 months and it works well for me. I was an early cord cutter (about 5 years ago) because I travel a lot and didn't want to pay for a cable package at home when I was gone so often. YouTube TV along with an unlimited data plan on my iPhone and iPad allows me to watch live TV anywhere and I like being able to "record" as much as I want to watch later.

This is a great service for my needs but as others have pointed out, it lacks 4K support and a few other features so it may not be the best solution to everyone.

Then again, most tv isn't in 4k is it? I'd say it looks better than the directv I had which is only 1080i or so. Using LG OLED tv. Not sure on the sound but probably not surround.

Reactions: DoctorTech

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
I'm not claiming it's a good or a bad deal financially, I'm just stating that the DVR policy is a total dealbreaker for me. I'd rather pay more for the ability to save 16 minutes of my life for each hour show. Ain't got time fo' dat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.