Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube has delayed its YouTube TV apps for Apple TV and Roku devices until the first quarter of 2018, a company representative told CNET today. The over-the-top service's Apple TV app was initially planned for a launch before the end of 2017, so with less than two weeks left in the year the company has officially pushed back the app's launch to next year.

youtube-tv-app-2-800x447.jpg

Around the same Q1 2018 window, YouTube will also debut apps for older models of Samsung's smart TVs, as well as Sony TVs using Linux-based operating systems. YouTube TV launched earlier this year on the web, iOS, and Android in five U.S. cities. The app eventually expanded to Chromecast, Xbox One, Android TV, and newer Samsung and LG smart TVs across more than 80 cities.

The $35/month service offers subscribers the ability to stream cable network television shows on ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, CW, Disney, ESPN, FX, USA, and dozens of other major channels. YouTube TV is a competitor to similar services like Sling TV, Hulu with Live TV, DirecTV Now, and Playstation Vue, all of which can be viewed on the fourth and fifth generation Apple TV models. In addition to streaming live TV, YouTube TV includes content from the $9.99/month YouTube Red service.

Article Link: YouTube TV Delays Apple TV App to Q1 2018

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
So far these live streaming TV services aren't offering anything over cable as far as I can tell. They cost just as much as a cable TV plus internet bundle. They eat up your monthly data allowance. You have to wait for video to buffer and quality can drop under heavy load. You still don't get a la carte.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
So far these live streaming TV services aren't offering anything over cable as far as I can tell. They cost just as much as a cable TV plus internet bundle. They eat up your monthly data allowance. You have to wait for video to buffer and quality can drop under heavy load. You still don't get a la carte.

A la Carte is already available. Open iTunes and purchase only the content you want to watch.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

I am saving money with playstation vue, even before rental box fees. With 4 tv's including the rental box fees there is significant savings ~$60. Fortunately my cable provider does not have data caps. DVR/tv also works out of home, cable was in home only, box req for DVR.

Surprisingly my wife is completely on board and prefers vue over cable.

Havent tried youtube tv yet, the lack of set top box support holds me back. I also heard youtube replaces dvr content with on demand pretty quickly and forces ads.

stereo audio is common, dont believe any streamer has 5.1, aside from some dtvnow rumors - biggest con IMO

Last edited:

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016

YouTube has delayed its YouTube TV apps for Apple TV and Roku devices until the first quarter of 2018, a company representative told CNET today. The over-the-top service's Apple TV app was initially planned for a launch before the end of 2017, so with less than two weeks left in the year the company has officially pushed back the app's launch to next year.

youtube-tv-app-2-800x447.jpg

Around the same Q1 2018 window, YouTube will also debut apps for older models of Samsung's smart TVs, as well as Sony TVs using Linux-based operating systems. YouTube TV launched earlier this year on the web, iOS, and Android in five U.S. cities. The app eventually expanded to Chromecast, Xbox One, Android TV, and newer Samsung and LG smart TVs across more than 80 cities.

The $35/month service offers subscribers the ability to stream cable network television shows on ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, CW, Disney, ESPN, FX, USA, and dozens of other major channels. YouTube TV is a competitor to similar services like Sling TV, Hulu with Live TV, DirecTV Now, and Playstation Vue, all of which can be viewed on the fourth and fifth generation Apple TV models. In addition to streaming live TV, YouTube TV includes content from the $9.99/month YouTube Red service.

Article Link: YouTube TV Delays Apple TV App to Q1 2018

JUST GET THE YOUTUBE APP TO SUPPORT 4K AND HDR ALREADY! JESUS CHRIST, WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY AN APPLE TV 4K IF THE LARGEST VIDEO HOSTING SOURCE ON THE PLANET DOES NOT SUPPORT 4K ON IT!

Reactions: ErikGrim

SoundJudgment

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2017
dont believe any streamer has 5.1, aside from some dtvnow rumors - biggest con IMO

Uhhh... pretty much they *all* do, broadcast and streaming, as long as the show was encoded with it. Welcome to the 21st Century.

Last edited:

jst_testing

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2017
So far, DIRECTV NOW has been offering the best channel line up for price, and they've improved on their buffering issues that they had at the beginning.

I really want to like YouTube TV coz of how fast it loads, but if they can offer the same level as Direct TV NOW (and I'm on their grandfathered $35/mo deal), I will consider the switch

Mi1lion

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2017
Twin Peaks, CA

I've never had any buffering issues with YouTube TV, even over AirPlay.

If you have a fast Wi-Fi network, you'lll be fine with any live streaming service. YouTube TV offers almost all the channels I want, except for A&E.

starkmj

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
Uhhh... pretty much they *all* do, broadcast and streaming, as long as the show was encoded with it. Welcome to the 21st Century.

I actually think you're wrong. All I've heard is the Directv Now has SOME on demand content that's 5.1, but none of the live channels are broadcast in 5.1.

Reactions: wasima

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC

1. What other content is there then whats Cable Sat or streaming?
2. Considering the taxes, per box fees, broadcast fees and contracts, cable can not touch streaming.
3. You are going to have internet even if you don't have cable or streaming.
4. if you have an unlimited data plan for your internet, no problem
5. Buffering is for the most part unstable wifi within your environment.
6. Basically streaming gives you 99 percent of the channels you want to watch then the 10 percent you
probably only watch in a cable tv package.

Reactions: wasima

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
This is not as long of a delay as it sounds like. It could be a delay of around 10 days. I am sure it will be longer than that but it could be. It will be a delay of less than 100 days. I understand that if you are waiting for the app, that even one day seems too long. But some more time to maybe be able to do what the other providers don't would be very much worth it from my prospective.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011

I use Hulu Live and pleased with its performance. Occasionally there is some buffering when starting up but it much of an inconvenience. I dropped cable and only subscribe to data. I am saving $50/mo.

One element streaming offers over cable that you’re overlooking is the elimination of the cable box and no coax wiring location limitation. The televisions are wireless and I can put them whereever I want.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I use Hulu Live and pleased with its performance. Occasionally there is some buffering when starting up but it much of an inconvenience. I dropped cable and only subscribe to data. I am saving $50/mo.

One element streaming offers over cable that you’re overlooking is the elimination of the cable box and no coax wiring location limitation. The televisions are wireless and I can put them whereever I want.

I use a Cablecard with a TiVo Bolt and minis so it’s $17.50 for my fees. I also wired my house myself. All cable and Ethernet outlets are exactly where I want them. I think my service includes streaming but have no need for it.

My internet fee will go up if I drop my cable tv. It will go up a lot if I want unlimited data. Which I would need.

Last I checked. Switching to live streaming would cost me more each month than I pay now. Due to increased internet costs.

With the demise of net neutrality. Streaming costs may go up for everyone.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I use a Cablecard with a TiVo Bolt and minis so it’s $17.50 for my fees. I also wired my house myself. All cable and Ethernet outlets are exactly where I want them. I think my service includes streaming but have no need for it.

My internet fee will go up if I drop my cable tv. It will go up a lot if I want unlimited data. Which I would need.

Last I checked. Switching to live streaming would cost me more each month than I pay now. Due to increased internet costs.

With the demise of net neutrality. Streaming costs may go up for everyone.

I might be a special case because I only watch a few news channels weeknights and a few sports on weekends. Otherwise I don’t need live television.

I had a bundle of data and cable for three tv’s which was running right at $200/mo. I was being over served though.

I dropped to data only (up to 150 mbps), 1T/mo for $95/mo.
Added Hulu Live $40/mo.

I see YouTube Live is coming out on Apple TV Q1/2018. I might test drive them to see which product I prefer.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
stereo audio is common, dont believe any streamer has 5.1, aside from some dtvnow rumors - biggest con IMO
Netflix
YouTube if you arent on AppleTV
HBO
AmazonPrimeVideo
And more.

ITunes movie rentals also.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I pretty much just signed up for 2 years from directv satellite and will reevaluate at that point (mostly for family and saving data cap as i could live without it). Pic quality isn't the best but new genie is wireless and it's not worth cabling for the one 4k channel. At least the sound is 5.1. However, DTV just changed their UI and it's not for the better imo. CW was yanked off the air in Nov and doesn't seem to be coming back in Louisville. If i could go back, I'd probably cancel. I may try to do so anyways.

The streaming apps are still a mess. That said, I preferred youtube tv out of all of them (35 a month you can't beat that if you can avoid the on demand crap but still good enough for me to get what i need and compliment netflix). I believe xbox already has the app that's coming to apple tv if you want to test it. Personally, i could have lived with this one but family just wouldn't use the phone apps. I'm mostly a netflix/amazon watcher or a 4k movie.

andsoitgoes

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
They should make the regular YouTube app suck less

They could take a monkey with diarrhea and no hands, stick him in a locked room and produce something better than what we’ve got.

The app is an embarrassment that hasn’t been updated in almost 2 years, it’s a bloody joke that my POS blu Ray player has a significantly more current and functional version of the bloody app. It’s also a joke that a bottom of the barrel no name android STB gets access to a much higher quality version.

Listen, google, I’m not going to buy a chrome cast. If I use anything, it’ll be the fire stick that cost me $30

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.