Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube today sent out emails to customers who are subscribed to its YouTube TV service through Apple's App Store, letting them know that App Store subscriptions are going to be discontinued in March.

youtube-apple-tv.jpg

From the emails:
You're currently subscribed to YouTube TV through Apple in-app purchases, so we're writing to let you know that, starting March 13, 2020, YouTube TV will no longer accept payment through Apple in-app purchases.

YouTube TV members will still be able to watch YouTube TV content on Apple devices.

You'll be billed for one final month of service and then your in-app purchase subscription will be canceled automatically on your billing date after March, 13, 2020.
There's no word on why YouTube is ending YouTube TV subscriptions through the App Store, but Apple does take a cut of all subscription purchases, so avoiding in-app purchases will allow YouTube to skirt that fee.

When it comes to subscriptions, Apple takes a 30 percent cut of the subscription price paid by each subscriber for the first 12 months, and then if a subscriber remains subscribed, Apple's cut drops to 15 percent.

The YouTube TV app will need to remove all references to subscribing and signing up from its app when in-app purchases disappear, as Apple does not allow apps to link out to third-party subscription purchase options.

Apps that offer subscriptions on Apple's platform have complained about Apple's cut for years. Some apps raise their subscription prices through the App Store to compensate for the fee, while others choose not to offer subscriptions in Apple's apps.

YouTube TV users will be able to continue using the YouTube TV app on Apple's platforms, but will need to sign up for a subscription on the website.

(Thanks, Kyle!)

Article Link: YouTube TV Ending Support for App Store Subscriptions in March

Last edited:

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
When I signed up about two weeks ago, I could not do so through the app store, even though I wanted to and tried to, so this may have already been in effect for some.

Also, yes Google=Youtube. I reluctantly came from Vue when they shut down.
[automerge]1581624197[/automerge]
15% cut just to facilitate billing is ridiculous.

I'd happily pay a 15% premium to keep my personal data personal.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
Apple disabled my app years ago and refused to allow any new builds until I implemented In App purchasing. I had been handling everything via PayPal. If YouTube can get away with not paying the Apple premium, then why should I have to?

Varking

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Its because anyone who wants the service on iOS can just sign up online and save money and then login to the app. There is no reason to use the App Store for this subscription to cost yourself more money when two minutes of the website signup will save you money every month. If you go to the YTTV reddit theres always been people telling everyone to avoid signing up via the app store due to this.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Apple disabled my app years ago and refused to allow any new builds until I implemented In App purchasing. I had been handling everything via PayPal. If YouTube can get away with not paying the Apple premium, then why should I have to?
YouTube, Netflix, Spotify, etc. don't allow you to subscribe in the app at all, or even give you a link for where you can sign up. Thems the rules.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
YouTube, Netflix, Spotify, etc. don't allow you to subscribe in the app at all, or even give you a link for where you can sign up. Thems the rules.
That is how my app was working as well. People had to create subscriptions outside of my app via an email they were sent (or log into the website). They made me quit doing that, because I'm not YouTube, Netflix, etc.

happyprozak

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
That is how my app was working as well. People had to create subscriptions outside of my app via an email they were sent (or log into the website). They made me quit doing that, because I'm not YouTube, Netflix, etc.

That's news to me, I've never seen someone claim this before. There has to be another reason because there are countless apps that use app subscriptions outside of the app store.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
People actually pay for YouTube?
yes too many adds can be pretty annoying, specially when listening to ASMR videos.

what i found pretty dumb right now is still paying for Apple Store music lossy files when qobuz hifi is already here with lossless files....sigh.....Not in my country though.

repoman016

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Ohio
Its because anyone who wants the service on iOS can just sign up online and save money and then login to the app. There is no reason to use the App Store for this subscription to cost yourself more money when two minutes of the website signup will save you money every month. If you go to the YTTV reddit theres always been people telling everyone to avoid signing up via the app store due to this.
Im pretty sure spotify had this same issue and tried to fight apple over it

Reactions: coolfactor

mdorais

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
I understand this decision. Cord cutting services are having a hard time making a profit as it is. Channels ask for exorbitant fees and these providers need to find a way to package all of them at a price that makes sense. Apple taking its own cut out of that makes the situation even worse.

Youtube TV is most likely subsidized which is why they can offer their excellent channel lineup, however, it's still a good decision to not take further cuts out of what they make from it.
[automerge]1581625670[/automerge]
People actually pay for YouTube?

This is about Youtube TV, not the Youtube site.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
For stuff like this I am surprised they didn't stop paying Apple sooner. Just dumb to cough up 30% to Apple for a subscription like this. Way to expensive and Apple can't justify a 30% cut. Apple fix your ****!!

Reactions: motulist and ddtmm

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
I mean, were you sending them the e-mail as a function of the app? Or did you have a link to your website in the app? Because those are both no-no's.

Reactions: Plutonius

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012

If you don’t mind my asking...

Were these existing customers of yours who went to the App Store and downloaded your app? Or was your first contact with them, and the way you got their email addresses, through the app?

Reactions: CarlJ

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
I predict we'll see a flood of such announcements from other companies over the next 18 months OR so.

Logging into a company's website for services will soon become the New Norm.

I suspect we'll hear from Netflix in the next 1-2 weeks, & they will follow YouTube's lead.

Kkspire

macrumors regular
May 19, 2016
So I should go setup my shop at the mall, tell customers go outside to pay and come back in, so that I don’t have to pay my landlord their rent because they charge based on your volume in their store? Wow. YouTube TV sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.