Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RealBob

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2019
Well, I'm glad I was not apart of the cord-cutting group. As I stuck it out with my Cable bundled with the Internet [150MB down 15MB up] which gives me HBO,MAX,SHO,Stars for $165 while I do have NetFlix and signed up for Disney + with the 3yr promotion awhile back...
I pay less than that for 1Gbps fiber internet, and TV including HBO, Sho, Max, Starz.
It sounds like you're overpaying.

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
I hope this and PSVue leaving altogether shows everyone finally that it’s not the Cable company gouging you. It’s the content owners that are raising their prices and this that is passed to customers.

This is the main reason Netflix started owning content and everyone else is doing the same.

No, the cable companies gouge *plenty*..

Renting customers 4-10 year old equipment for about $20/mo .. and that's not even a DVR... The DVR will be $45/mo to rent and they'll add a DVR "fee" to the bill too! Oh, and that's per TV.. not per household/account.

For many, streaming is still going to be the cheaper option, especially if they have multiple TVs, and like to time shift most of what they watch. The price difference is currently shrinking, but there will probably be another correction when ATSC 3.0 is widely rolled out, and people realize they can get 4K TV OTA with a $50 antenna and new $150 ATSC 3.0 DVR... only on-going cost will likely be for guide data and commercial skip functions.

Reactions: 2010mini

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
always blows my mind how much you guys have to pay for TV in the US. I pay 50 Euro for internet and the complete SKY HD package combined

1Gb Internet and more channels than Youtube for about €50 here....Oh, I almost forgot..+ a landline with unlimited calls to Local numbers(same country)

A $25 hike in a year, that's a 62.5% hike, that's a joke.
Higher cost my A$$

DanTheMan827

macrumors regular
May 9, 2012

Renting customers 4-10 year old equipment for about $20/mo .. and that's not even a DVR... The DVR will be $45/mo to rent and they'll add a DVR "fee" to the bill too! Oh, and that's per TV.. not per household/account.

For many, streaming is still going to be the cheaper option, especially if they have multiple TVs, and like to time shift most of what they watch. The price difference is currently shrinking, but there will probably be another correction when ATSC 3.0 is widely rolled out, and people realize they can get 4K TV OTA with a $50 antenna and new $150 ATSC 3.0 DVR... only on-going cost will likely be for guide data and commercial skip functions.
For me, standard boxes are $5.99 and DVR is I think $14.99 (but I pay $2 instead to use my own DVR)

Service is $99 for TV, Internet, and Phone + tax give or take

I never understood the appeal of YouTube TV when it's 2/3 of what I pay for all three services... add to that the fact that if I cancel TV, the price of my other services increases, so I'd be paying more for less

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
It's live TV. How would you skip ads unless you watched a feed delayed by at least a few minutes?

I don't want live TV, I just want a YouTube subscription with no commercials, I wouldn't expect to get live TV for $5.
[automerge]1593635076[/automerge]
There are lots of browser extensions for that, although if you are on iOS you're stuck with ads.
I'm not trying to use an extension to keep YouTube from making its money or hurting companies that pay for the ads. I'm wanting to legally pay out of pocket instead of paying by watching an ad. I don't think that I watch $5 worth of ads.

mzubb

macrumors member
May 20, 2010
Canceled. Philo is $20 and covers most everything the wife watches. Amazon Prime I have anyway. Antenna is free for locals. Live sports I'll worry about later when it's not so troubled.

Reactions: Zen_Arcade

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I'm still grandfathered in at the $9.99/month from back when it was YouTube Red. I watch a lot of YouTube and to me it's a bargain - I'm always shocked at how many ads there are when I try to watch on a device that isn't signed in.

Nope. You’re talking about YouTube, this thread is about YouTubeTv, a streaming tv service.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I don't want live TV, I just want a YouTube subscription with no commercials, I wouldn't expect to get live TV for $5.
[automerge]1593635076[/automerge]

I'm not trying to use an extension to keep YouTube from making its money or hurting companies that pay for the ads. I'm wanting to legally pay out of pocket instead of paying by watching an ad. I don't think that I watch $5 worth of ads.

I think you’re confused. This post is about YouTube tv, an streaming service for live tv channels that’s a competitor to cable.

You’re talking about YouTube, which became famous for cat videos and unboxing videos.

I know the names are similar but they are totally different services.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
I think you’re confused. This post is about YouTube tv, an streaming service for live tv channels that’s a competitor to cable.

You’re talking about YouTube, which became famous for cat videos and unboxing videos.

I know the names are similar but they are totally different services.
Agreed, I was was just commenting on YouTube services in general, that I don't need a TV service, just wish they had a commercial free service. But I should have been more clear in my original comment. Thanks

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
For me, standard boxes are $5.99 and DVR is I think $14.99 (but I pay $2 instead to use my own DVR)

Service is $99 for TV, Internet, and Phone + tax give or take

I never understood the appeal of YouTube TV when it's 2/3 of what I pay for all three services... add to that the fact that if I cancel TV, the price of my other services increases, so I'd be paying more for less

Nice! You're lucky! Our local cable co is still renting those boxes for so much more... and they're all unreliable PITAs... Long before cutting the cord, gave up on the Cable Co DVR and switched to Tivo after needing to swap the Cable Cos DVR 4 times in 6 weeks. SMH...

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

I am so ready for ATSC 3.0. I dropped pay tv over a year ago and installed a $40 Yagi. Super clear free tv that I use with channels app. I will never go back to paying for live tv.

Reactions: jwdsail

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Nope. You’re talking about YouTube, this thread is about YouTubeTv, a streaming tv service.
Yes I know. The post I quoted said he hoped that they didn’t also raise the price of YouTube Premium. I was making the point that YouTube Premium grandfathered people when they raised the price from $9.99 to $11.99. For the YouTube TV increase, they’re giving very short notice for the increase and no grandfathering. I have YouTube TV as well if that makes you feel better.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Google being expensive and Apple giving it away for free (if you buy a product). Who'd have thought... ;)

not an apt comparison.
Google is rebroadcasting content from existing channels. They’re at the mercy of those providers.

Apple owns or licenses their own tv+ content.

daved2424

Suspended
Sep 14, 2018
Nobody in the US would settle for an European paycheck either. Median household income in the US is nearly 2x that of the EU. Things necessarily cost more.

Perhaps, but we all have free hospitals for when global pandemics hit....it’s not the size of your member that counts, it’s how you use it!

• Haha
Reactions: Nütztjanix

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
Man, I remember when Direct TV NOW offered a free Apple TV 4k for pre paying 3 months @ $35.

What a deal!

To think I'm using that free Apple TV 4K for YouTube TV now....or at-least formally. The $15 hike isn't worth the new Viacom channels. Part of Google's problem is just having one package for it all instead of a cut-down like the others.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Yep, their costs just went up big time because of the licensing ViacomCBS is now requiring. Sucks and some will drop the service because of it. Hulu, Sling and all the other services are going to get hit with the same thing when their contracts come up for renewal.
Why is licensing with Viacom "required"?

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
And just like that, summer 2020, Youtube TV became more expensive than the equivalent cable package.
They just replicating everything cable did wrong... charge too much for channels nobody wants.

At least, it saved me money for 2 years.

I'm still saving $100 per month. My cable TV & Internet package was $245, an absurd amount of money considering I did not have any fancy movie channels. After YouTube TV price increase, I will be paying $145 combined: $75 after tax for Internet, and $70 after tax for YouTube TV.

Granted, I am not happy about paying an extra $15 (plus tax) for a bunch of garbage Viacom channels I will never watch. But I'm still saving money compared to where I was when I dropped cable TV service.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Why is licensing with Viacom "required"?

It has been reported that they will no longer offer any providers the CBS channels by themselves. If someone wants to carry CBS, they have to carry all of the other channels as well and it isn't cheap. This is the reason for the big price increase and others will be forced to do the same as their licenses come up for renewal.

It sure seems like we will never truly get the a la carte choices that so many of us want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.