Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
My geekbench score of my 1 year old Mac Pro

My Mac Pro
Mac OS X Leopard 64-bit
Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core (8-Core)
4GB of Ram
512MB 8800GT
1TB Of Hard Drives
Two 16x SuperDrives
AirPort Extreme Card (Wi-Fi)

Geek Bench Score- 8782

The i7 Windows PC computer 8094

got owned by a Mac

Don't know if the new Mac Pro's are going to use the new Intel i7's but I owned that Windows i7 PC just check out my youtube video 34skyline below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lNsctq1wXk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geA8w9h9efE&watch_response

Seems unfair. A Mac with two workstation processors versus one Core i7?

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Hmmm, I just ran Geekbench 32 bit on my MacPro:

2.8Ghz Quad x 2
6GB RAM
ATI 2600 HD 256MB
320GB, 500GB, 2 1TB

My score was 9094
:Integer - 8725
:Floating Point - 15076
:Memory - 2619
:Stream - 2404

Why is my 2.8 getting a better score than the OP's 3.2? Amount of Memory?

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Hmmm, I just ran Geekbench 32 bit on my MacPro:

2.8Ghz Quad x 2
6GB RAM
ATI 2600 HD 256MB
320GB, 500GB, 2 1TB

My score was 9094
:Integer - 8725
:Floating Point - 15076
:Memory - 2619
:Stream - 2404

Why is my 2.8 getting a better score than the OP's 3.2? Amount of Memory?

I think there is something we don't know about what went on in the OP's test. Anyone disagree?:confused:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I think there is something we don't know about what went on in the OP's test. Anyone disagree?:confused:
Hopefully they had enough sense to kill as many background processes as possible for an accurate benchmark and run it several times for an average result.

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Hopefully they had enough sense to kill as many background processes as possible for an accurate benchmark and run it several times for an average result.

I hope so. But did they do it on both machines? Remember... the i7 is running Windows!!!:D:D This test can't be fully accepted because of the different OSs. OS X handles background processes a hell of a lot better.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I hope so. But did they do it on both machines? Remember... the i7 is running Windows!!!:D:D This test can't be fully accepted because of the different OSs. OS X handles background processes a hell of a lot better.
What's the point of a cross platform benchmark then?

Ramashalanka

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2008
Lanka Ravi Shanka
How so? 8 threads.

No. Eight threads on a quad-core (even with hyper-threading) will be slower than eight threads on an eight-core, all else remaining equal, so it isn't a fair test of the difference between the core 2 and core i7 technology. We'll see that comparison most directly when there is a Gainestown Mac Pro to compare to my current Harpertown.

In the meantime, the geekbench results for an eight-core core i7 Hackintosh look promising at:

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/96514

Though, as always, differences in clockspeeds etc cloud the issue.

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
No. Eight threads on a quad-core (even with hyper-threading) will be slower than eight threads on an eight-core, all else remaining equal, so it isn't a fair test of the difference between the core 2 and core i7 technology. We'll see that comparison most directly when there is a Gainestown Mac Pro to compare to my current Harpertown.

In the meantime, the geekbench results for an eight-core core i7 Hackintosh look promising at:

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/96514

Though, as always, differences in clockspeeds etc cloud the issue.

And operating system...:D:D

Ramashalanka

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2008
Lanka Ravi Shanka
And operating system...:D:D

Absolutely :), that was in my "etc". Amount and speed of ram are other big ones. As Eidorian correctly says, a big issue will be how careful the test has been with background processes and multiple trials:

From the videos, it looks like the test results are from a single run.

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Absolutely :), that was in my "etc". Amount and speed of ram are other big ones. As Eidorian correctly says, a big issue will be how careful the test has been with background processes and multiple trials:

From the videos, it looks like the test results are from a single run.

And speed of hard drive...

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Geekbench is CPU only.
Really?! Are you sure? I didn't know that.

Then all of the above postings would be irrelevant. If what you say is true, then any Geekbench testing would be hard to believe because when you are testing two machines, operating system, ram, hard drive speed, etc. are all important factors in overall speed. Do you see what I am saying? Would you agree?

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Yes geekbench is cross-platform, and CPU only. The entire point is to make a fair benchmark no matter the OS, and one that does not even factor in hard drive speed.

I've benchmarked Geekbench with Linux, OS X (10.5 hackintosh) and Windows XP on the same PC, and scores are a little different but fairly close. Memory scores are higher in OS X, and a lot worse in XP curiously enough.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Pointless.

Agreed. If they wanted a windows vs osx test they should have installed them on the same computer. If they wanted a hardware test they should have installed the same OS. There are to many variables here to draw any logical conclusion.
The whole test is a fail.

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Agreed. If they wanted a windows vs osx test they should have installed them on the same computer. If they wanted a hardware test they should have installed the same OS. There are to many variables here to draw any logical conclusion.
The whole test is a fail.

My point exactly. It just doesn't make sense.

Ramashalanka

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2008
Lanka Ravi Shanka
Really?! Are you sure? I didn't know that.

Then all of the above postings would be irrelevant. If what you say is true, then any Geekbench testing would be hard to believe because when you are testing two machines, operating system, ram, hard drive speed, etc. are all important factors in overall speed. Do you see what I am saying? Would you agree?

I agree that geekbench is pointless, but I don't see why you decide this due to your surprise that it's CPU only. Geekbench is not affected by hard drive speed, but is affected by operating system, RAM size, RAM speed, motherboard (and many other details) as well as CPU (I'm certain that is what Eidorian meant by "CPU only").

The problem is that it is affected by so much (including about two percent variation between successive runs), not by too little (no hard drive speed). Also, the idea of doing a bunch of tests and assigning each of them some arbitrary importance to come up with one number is an oversimplification.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I agree that geekbench is pointless, but I don't see why you decide this due to your surprise that it's CPU only. Geekbench is not affected by hard drive speed, but is affected by operating system, RAM size, RAM speed, motherboard (and many other details) as well as CPU (I'm certain that is what Eidorian meant by "CPU only").

The problem is that it is affected by so much (including about two percent variation between successive runs), not by too little (no hard drive speed). Also, the idea of doing a bunch of tests and assigning each of them some arbitrary importance to come up with one number is an oversimplification.
Yeah that is what I meant. Just for raw hardware the CPU impacts integer and floating point performance and there are memory and stream tests as well.

The best I can manage on my G31 board is about 5500 on Geekbench under Vista Ultimate 64.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.