Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
This is a weird bug, and I think a picture explains it better than words. When I view a video in Safari on my MacBook Air (current version of Sierra), I see the YouTube controls layered over the Mac native HTML5 controls. The ones underneath are "blocked" and the UI elements can't be clicked, but they're there. If you look closely at this screenshot you can see them there at the bottom.

pQS42gD.png

As the video plays in full screen, the YouTube controls fade out but the HTML5 controls stick around, like this:

w5i0wHZ.png

Anybody have any idea what's causing this? I'm not seeing it on my iMac, which is running the same versions of Sierra and Safari.

thanks

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
If you right-click on the video you'll bring up YouTube's options menu. While this menu is open you can right-click on the video again to bring up the options menu for macOS. The top option there is "Show/Hide Controls", which toggles the operating system's video controls. Try toggling that and see if it helps, you might have clicked on a video a few times and accidentally enabled the controls.

burner24

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
Am I really the only one with this problem?
Nope ignatius345, I have it too. Unfortunately, headlessmike's approach didn't work for me on YouTube, and I'm also seeing it on video from other sources. I've attached a screenshot from Twitter.

Thanks for any additional suggestions!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 12.17.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 12.17.39 PM.png
    832 KB · Views: 142

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Those controls are Quick Time Player ones.

Don't you have a Safari extension that somehow interferes with the YouTube controls ?

Try disabling it and see what happens then.

(extensions such as ClickToFlash or ClickToPlugin made YouTube videos to be played in QuickTimePlayer)

burner24

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
That's a great suggestion Bruno09, and exactly where my thinking went when I saw this, because I have had Safari extensions that block Flash/force HTML5 video in the past. But I have uninstalled all of those previously when I got rid of Flash entirely in Safari, and have tried disabling and deleting all Safari extensions (both in the Preferences pane and also the /Library/Safari/Extensions/ folder) to no avail.

Maybe there's a way that a rogue extension could stick around/leave functionality behind? I have recently installed the latest version of Sierra, and know that you can't easily "reinstall" Safari, so I'm not sure what else to do.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
If you right-click on the video you'll bring up YouTube's options menu. While this menu is open you can right-click on the video again to bring up the options menu for macOS. The top option there is "Show/Hide Controls", which toggles the operating system's video controls. Try toggling that and see if it helps, you might have clicked on a video a few times and accidentally enabled the controls.
Interesting. This seems to be helping for me, though it does cause some weird things to happen, like sporadically sending the video into full-screen mode. Also got this weird little glitch, which later went away -- the video went full-screen with YouTube controls, but in this one section of the screen. I did later get it to work more or less as expected

kQQGe38.png

Also, not using any flash-related extensions. I'm only running Pocket, uBlock and 1Password extensions -- all of which are running on my iMac which is not having any video display issues.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
...aaand my experience is still very erratic. Sometimes I get a message in YouTube's control layer that says the video can't be played, sometimes a message that full-screen is unavailable -- and sometimes clicking on YouTube's play button brings up the video full-screen with Quicktime's controls. It's a huge mess. I really wish I could just "reset" Safari somehow.
[doublepost=1495478720][/doublepost]
Maybe there's a way that a rogue extension could stick around/leave functionality behind? I have recently installed the latest version of Sierra, and know that you can't easily "reinstall" Safari, so I'm not sure what else to do.
Same here. I'm stumped!

Reactions: burner24

burner24

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
I followed the "manual approaches" instructions here to "fully reset" Safari, and it solved my problem! https://www.macissues.com/2015/06/22/how-to-fully-reset-safari-on-your-mac/ No more strange hidden/duplicate video players.

Working backward and bringing settings/cache/preference files back, I think there's a chance you will be able to get by just erasing ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist ... though I wasn't able to test conclusively. Obviously, back up before you start messing with preference and system files.

As the author of the post warns: "Keep in mind that this approach will fully reset Safari and clear out your history, local bookmarks, and other settings, so be sure you make a backup of your system before doing this."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.