Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Glad to see I'm one of the non crazy Android people here lol. I've got more respect for iOS than Android. Sad to say Android people can be ridiculous and immature towards the Apple crowd
It goes both ways. The other day I was looking at an Android Wear article, and there was a user trolling about how the Apple Watch is the best smartwatch on the planet, that the sapphire display is scratch proof (although stories here say otherwise), and that it will be a smartwatch that lasts for several years unlike Android watches that are good for a couple months.

If you are an Android fan, there is no point in trolling iPhone forums, and the same goes for Apple fans.

aKansasKid

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
Among my wife and I, our two daughters and their husbands, I'm the only Android user, a Galaxy S4. My wife has the iPhone 5 I used until she decided she wanted an iPhone. So, yes, I consider the reverse switch every day - back to iPhone. The urge is strongest when I take an indoor picture; the S4 can't seem to decide what to focus on too often, even when you touch the spot. And it can't quite get enough light inside. Oh, and Verizon is abysmally slow with updates, if ever for anything more than a year or two old. But as soon as I try to type anything on my wife's iPhone, the lack of punctuation on the main keyboard screen is a killer.

Like I suspect many of us over, say, 50, I primarily use my phone for web browsing, texting, email, and Facebook. Two and a half of those entail a lot of keyboarding. And did I say my S4 has a removable battery?

Still, I'm the lone holdout, and I know I'll be cruising again on Swappa tonight.

Reactions: iApple_man

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I've been on android for ages. Never used iPhone, but have the same conclusions as you. I've had enough of random lag, slow updates. So i'll be ordering once the new 6s+ is out...
You think that does not happen with apple stuff? Still waiting for the keyboard fix a year later. I have had laggy on the 6+ too

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Other than being integrated into the Apple ecosystem (along with Continuity and how my Apple devices work so well together), the bigger deterrent that has prevented me from switching to Android has been my friends that DO have an Android phone.

Every time we talk about phones, they seem to have an endless amount of complaints of how "crap" their phones are. One has a Galaxy S3, one an S5, and the other a HTC One M8. I mean, my iPhone 6 isn't what I would call a perfect phone, but man these guys could go on for hours about how they hate their phones and can't wait to get rid of them.

I've had my fair share of Android phones in the past, and I've never had THAT many problems as my buddies claim. Still, hearing them rant on about how frustrating using their phones has become keeps me from switching.

Reactions: iApple_man

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Strangely enough, access to Google Apps has kept me on the iPhone vs going with an Android device. For example, to send multiple and different files, I use Google's Mail app. I find both Google's Maps and their Waze app more useful than Apple Maps. And I buy my music, books, and movies from Google because it allows me to log into any computer and stream the content. I want to go with an Android device, but since I'm so used to updating to the latest OS on my schedule vice the carrier's or manufacturer's, my only Android choice would be a Nexus phone. And I've not been very impressed with the Nexus phones.

Well let's be fair, iOS is hardly the 'most advanced operating system'.

You can't even attach two different file types to one email; there is no way of cycling back through apps as the iOS sandboxes everything and developers are constantly having to trick the phone into doing what they want it to do.

For example, opening a link in twitter is achieved by using an in-app browser because they know there is no intuitive way of going back to twitter once the link is opened. In Android, you open a link, chrome displays the page and a press of the back button takes you back.

IOS is simple, but so simple that it can make ordinary tasks complicated.

Reactions: Broadus

Darryjr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2013
New York
I'm gonna be honest here. For years i have been bashing the iPhone. I am one of those who spend ridiculous amounts of money on every Android flagship that comes out. Been doing this for years, wife wants to kill me, Lol

I purchased an iPhone 6 for my wife back in February. One day I was bored and decided to putz around with the phone. At the time I had the htc one m8 and lg g2. After playing I gave it back and thought I was done. So a week went by and I found myself in best buy purchasing myself the 6plus. Figured let me spend a little more time and see how I felt, figured I had 14 days to return it. So, after that time u wind up keeping the phone to my surprise. I sold my g2 and flip flopped between iPhone and my htc. Something still had my going back to Android.

Fast forward , I purchased the galaxy s6 and s6 edge because I have a problem, Lol. I used them both ,and switched back to the 6plus. Two weeks later back to the galaxy. One week after that back to the iPhone. Sold both galaxies now just have the 6plus.

I apologize for always bashing you guys, this is best phone I ever owned, and I've had them all, believe me. IPhone , out of the box, no tweaking needed, works flawlessly, Android you need to adjust tweak just to get mediocre battery life. I am shocked at this stage in the game these Android phones still lag and stutter the way they do. Many reasons made me leave Android,but like I stated above the amount of tweaking and shutting down services to make a phone work is quite bothersome. I use my phone for a lot of emailing and texting. In my Android you hit send and just watch the wheel spin, and wait and wait. 6plus, send , and poof,sent. Much more but regardless wanted to share a bit of my experiences.

The phone won me over. Thanks Apple.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Bloat ware is about the only thing keeping me away honestly, I had issues with iOS 7 up until 7.1.2. Now all the issues with iOS 8 (except the build I am on 8.3, a few hiccups here and there)

...Oh, and Apples customer service Samsung was complete sh** still waiting for a call back about my smart tv (14 months) now.

Honestly if Android device manufactures could give the customer service Apple can I would be able to suck up the bloat ware issue.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Bloat ware is about the only thing keeping me away honestly, I had issues with iOS 7 up until 7.1.2. Now all the issues with iOS 8 (except the build I am on 8.3, a few hiccups here and there)

...Oh, and Apples customer service Samsung was complete sh** still waiting for a call back about my smart tv (14 months) now.

Honestly if Android device manufactures could give the customer service Apple can I would be able to suck up the bloat ware issue.

It won't happen for a while imo. Even now each carrier puts their bloat ware on phones, or lock boot loaders and restrict features like Verizon.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I'm gonna be honest here. For years i have been bashing the iPhone. I am one of those who spend ridiculous amounts of money on every Android flagship that comes out. Been doing this for years, wife wants to kill me, Lol

I purchased an iPhone 6 for my wife back in February. One day I was bored and decided to putz around with the phone. At the time I had the htc one m8 and lg g2. After playing I gave it back and thought I was done. So a week went by and I found myself in best buy purchasing myself the 6plus. Figured let me spend a little more time and see how I felt, figured I had 14 days to return it. So, after that time u wind up keeping the phone to my surprise. I sold my g2 and flip flopped between iPhone and my htc. Something still had my going back to Android.

Fast forward , I purchased the galaxy s6 and s6 edge because I have a problem, Lol. I used them both ,and switched back to the 6plus. Two weeks later back to the galaxy. One week after that back to the iPhone. Sold both galaxies now just have the 6plus.

I apologize for always bashing you guys, this is best phone I ever owned, and I've had them all, believe me. IPhone , out of the box, no tweaking needed, works flawlessly, Android you need to adjust tweak just to get mediocre battery life. I am shocked at this stage in the game these Android phones still lag and stutter the way they do. Many reasons made me leave Android,but like I stated above the amount of tweaking and shutting down services to make a phone work is quite bothersome. I use my phone for a lot of emailing and texting. In my Android you hit send and just watch the wheel spin, and wait and wait. 6plus, send , and poof,sent. Much more but regardless wanted to share a bit of my experiences.

The phone won me over. Thanks Apple.
Same with me, but the 6s will likely be my first iPhone since the 3G!

techguy15

Suspended
May 24, 2015
May I add a side note on here for the Apple folks? I actually get honest replies from you all on here. I posted a simple question about my device issue on a popular and well visited Android forum days ago (after attempting to Google search the issue myself) and got no response. Funny I go on here as an Android user and get active and fair replies. I know there's fanboys on both sides and we don't always get along but it's nice to be able to go on here and get fair advice and good treatment. Just wanted to say thanks in that regard!

Other side note: I've been searching local craigslist ads in my area for a budget iPhone, even maybe a basic iPhone 4 since I'm on a budget still. The prices I've seen range from $60 for Verizon to a whopping $275-$400. Yes, 400 for a 4! I need an unlocked model since I'm on Metro PCS. Can't believe these prices. Hoping to snag one cheap in good shape.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I have thought about switching but what has always held me back is the lack of updates. It seems like every week a new Andriod bug is found, the concerning part is the lack of communication about whether the phones will be updated and when. Seems like any phone older then 18 months won't receive the small incremental bug fix updates and sometimes receives the large systems updates but it's never consistent or quick. Even when a new bug is identified and fixed, it will still be months before you phone will be patch. iPhones will be fixed for shot security issues within a week or two. That stagefright Andriod bug is fixed but no one has the update yet because the manufactures have to update their systems, and then carriers have to make sure their bloat ware still works before the update even has a prayer of getting released. iPhone, bugged fixed and updated pushed out.

Safety and security are what keep me on iPhone and will continue to keep me here for the foreseeable future.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I admire android and always have, they were my first venture into the smartphone world officially(I won't count the one symbian device!) they make subtle changes but a slowly coming round to the apple way and following suit with certain things.

I moved to iOS because I hated them but always wanted an iPhone to try it and see how they could be the best. Thing is I didn't look back.. They have they're quirks and flaws yes, but what doesn't? The os is well optimised and despite negativity of lack of RAM well I've never noticed my 5c being horrifically slow. Yes my wife's 5s is quicker but mines still darn good!

Without doubt what I admire the most, is apples customer service and even the actual experience of service when you get issues with your device. No sending it away, you get a technician looking at the device pretty much while you wait and on some cases no charge for work done. Don't see Samsung or htc offering similar!

Yes I've been tempted to switch back but then I think.. Why should I? It just works and all my apps will happily sync to my next device. Can't wait till upgrade time!

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
When the topic of switching to either iPhone or Android came up, one of my friends who has an iPhone replied: "I don't flip burgers. If I wanted to get a Galaxy, I might as well get a job at McD."

Staying on the topic of the forum - I thought of switching to Galaxy many times. However, the connectivity features (ecosystem) between Mac and iOS devices have now become too necessary to ignore. Sure, Google also has calendar, address book, etc., but iOS devices manage them better. Or maybe I've become too used to iPhone. Are there Android features that would make me want to switch? Sure. I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1, and SIM-less Galaxy Note 2 (mom gave it to me after contract expired), and there are certain things Android devices do better. But for now, or at least for the next 5 years, I am sticking to iPhone.

josborne6

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2014
For all of you that ha e reservations of moving to Android because of itunes, Google play music manager imports all of your itunes content to your Google play account.

Reactions: fsfty and Broadus

TheMacApple

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2015
Chicago
For all of you that ha e reservations of moving to Android because of itunes, Google play music manager imports all of your itunes content to your Google play account.
Gonna switch to 6s soon, but on note4...keep my itunes library, dragged and dropped from my macbook zero issues..album art and everything came with it. Stay away from google play music...they charge out the wazzsul, and its hard to play if your offline

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Each time I sync my iPhone 5 through iTunes on my Mac, I consider Android for my next phone instead of the iPhone 6s.

However, the quality of 3rd-party apps, mark my words here, SUCKS on Android, and most importantly I develop for iOS (regarding that, my new game will be out in a matter of hours if it passes the review !!! :D)

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
Each time I sync my iPhone 5 through iTunes on my Mac, I consider Android for my next phone instead of the iPhone 6s.

However, the quality of 3rd-party apps, mark my words here, SUCKS on Android, and most importantly I develop for iOS (regarding that, my new game will be out in a matter of hours if it passes the review !!! :D)

That's because it's so hard to develop on Android. Xcode makes it really easy to make good looking apps.

Black05Hemi

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2015
My nexus 6 is every bit as good as my 6 plus. The screen on the nexus is actually better
I've had both of these phones, and i'll disagree about the Nexus being better. The Nexus screen colors are way off from what is considered accurate color display. The 6+ isn't nearly as exaggerated with the color display, and is definitely more accurate. Now, if you like the popping colors, that's a different story.

What is "Better" is all relative to personal preference. Personally, I prefer accurate color display, which the Note 4 did beautifully. Too bad about the stupid lag.

techguy15

Suspended
May 24, 2015
Well I'm finally putting my money where my mouth is. I work with a guy who's selling his 4S 16gb in near mint condition for $40. Sure it's not the fastest, biggest and I know iOS 9 won't bring every feature to my phone, but I'm coming back to iOS and I'm looking forward to it! I tested it out and looked it over. It's updated to 8.4.1 and running fine. I was shocked a phone from 2011 had zero lag compared to my newer Galaxy Light. I get it next week and he also set me up with a buddy at a local wireless shop to unlock it for cheap. Like i said, not the newest and greatest, but for someone on a budget who wanted to get back into iOS, it works for me!

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Well I'm finally putting my money where my mouth is. I work with a guy who's selling his 4S 16gb in near mint condition for $40. Sure it's not the fastest, biggest and I know iOS 9 won't bring every feature to my phone, but I'm coming back to iOS and I'm looking forward to it! I tested it out and looked it over. It's updated to 8.4.1 and running fine. I was shocked a phone from 2011 had zero lag compared to my newer Galaxy Light. I get it next week and he also set me up with a buddy at a local wireless shop to unlock it for cheap. Like i said, not the newest and greatest, but for someone on a budget who wanted to get back into iOS, it works for me!

I did exactly this with an iPhone 4 to see how I'd adapt to iOS without getting into a contract so tried it for 3 months and loved it. It was slow on iOS 7 but I dealt with it as I knew my upgrade was due. If it wasn't for the charging port going odd I'd have kept going till Christmas/new year with the 4.

2 years on and I'm still on iOS with the 5c and couldn't be happier. Can't wait to look at what's on offer upgrade time!

There's a part of me not ruling out android. But there's a part of me that's sensible and saying stick with iOS no hassle, apps I know and love are on my device already and all will hopefully be seamless! Intrigued by the look of the Samsung edge but against Samsung! Also intrigued by HTC but when I've had one before (Wildfire) i couldn't wait to get rid! Nexus I like the sound of but the 6 is just way too big for my child like hands! If I were (and I'm not) looking for a phone that size I'd go for the 6 plus!

The one for me will be the 6. It's bigger and faster than the 5c and looks quite a bit nicer too.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I've been on android for ages. Never used iPhone, but have the same conclusions as you. I've had enough of random lag, slow updates. So i'll be ordering once the new 6s+ is out...

Really? What phone are you using? My Nexus 6 has no lag and pretty rapid updates.

planetf1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
Hampshire, UK
Galaxy s4. Also used 2 prior nexus device tho not the 6. Occurred at varying levels on all, and in the case of s4 with aosp, stock, cm. Also seen it with family on nexus 7, 1plus1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.