Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Glad to see this thread is still going. I hope ZAGG has been following it. Thanks to the Internet, consumers spread the word much faster about terrible products. And if companies are smart they would monitor these Internet complaints and make the adjustments to their products.

I'm not seeing anything to indicate that ZAGG gets it yet. They still advertise the Zaggsparq 2.0 as providing 4 full charges to the iPhone. This simply is not true, at least not for the current iPhone 4.

They are also listing this product as charging the iPad up to 60%, like that is something consumers desire. Who only wants a 60% charge on their iPad for crying out loud?

Hey ZAGG do us all a favor, either fix the Zaggsparq or remove it from the market. It was a huge failure!

DarrenHD

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
How do you short the USB pins?

I have got no doubts that they work but the QC is definitely not there. I am requesting that they replace my replacement unit as the LED button is defective but I will have to pay for S&H for shipping it back to them and full cost IF they didnt receive my package.

No matter how I see it, I am at a loss here.

My father gave me his "defective" Zagg Sparq, which he didn't need anymore since he was sent a replacement one.

But this one also didn't work most of the time, it used to work then just stopped working.

Anyway, shorting the the USB ports DID FIX my ZAGG Sparq!

Here's how!

1) Fully charge it
2) Use metal tweasers - Put one leg of the tweaser into each USB port. Make sure the metal tweasers touch the metal pads inside the USB ports and/or the metal sides of the USB ports.
3) Your LED's will die on the Sparq, if you press the button they won't come on. So you've just verified you shorted it.
4) Plug the Sparq back into a wall socket
5) take it out, test LED's - all 4 should come on.
6) Charge your device and smile :)

That worked for me anyway!

Thanks for the tip.

Darren

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I received a free Zaggsparq 2.0 the other day. I was excited because then I could charge my iPhone and iPad with the same thing at night while it was plugged into the wall and then use it again in the day when my iPhone needed more power.

For me it looks like you can't charge the ZAGGsparq and charge devices at the same time. If it's plugged into an outlet and a device then the Zaggsparq will charge the devices but not itself, and then just die and your devices don't fully charge. Do I have a defective unit or is this actually how it is supposed to work, I wouldn't think so though.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Got myself a ZaggSparq 2.0 last Wednesday, works great on my iPad but refuses to work with my iPhone 4 & iPod Touch 4th. The devices just keep switching from charge to battery icon several times before reporting the accessory is not compatible.

All devices running iOS 4.3.5, tried both ports (same thing) and two Apple USB cables.

droidiot

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
redeemed

I have to say, I sent an email to the "president" and they called me within 2 hours. They replaced my device by rushing it to my travel destination and it was fully charged for me on arrival. Their QA process is obviously horrible, but I'm willing to forgive them and wish them well. Thanks for this thread!

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I'm opening up this thread again because of a recent issue with my Zaggsparq 2.0. It had been working for the last few years, even though it never recharged an iPhone for the rated 4 full charges. However, yesterday one the outlet prongs on the device snapped off. Apparently they are molded in place by plastic.....smart move ZAGG, and eventually the plastic will crack and then the prong just pops off.

I'm contacting ZAGG to see what they can do, but I'm not holding my breath, since it's way outside the warranty. Anyone have any ideas for a suitable replacement portable iPhone 5 battery charger?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
golfgrouch, thanks for the link, at 9000mAh this is a great deal so I ordered one!

benhollberg, the new Zaggsparq is still limited at 6000mAh, the external design just looks terrible and not worth $100. ZAGG's lost my business this time.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
golfgrouch, thanks for the link, at 9000mAh this is a great deal so I ordered one!

benhollberg, the new Zaggsparq is still limited at 6000mAh, the external design just looks terrible and not worth $100. ZAGG's lost my business this time.

Let us know how it works out, it looks pretty nice. Good small size also.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
The Monoprice 9000mAh external battery arrived today. The units level of charge LED's are not green as shown on the Monoprice and Richard Solo sites, they are blue just like the ON 5V indicator LED. I don't like that once you turn it on, you have to wait for it to automatically shut itself off, but I guess that prevents me from forgetting to turn it off. I also don't like that it doesn't come with a plug in wall adapter. I don't have a spare 5 volt plug adapter or USB car adapter, so the only way I can charge it up is via my computer's USB port. But then again, since it's 9000mAh it should last a long time when on the go without my computer.

All in all, it's a good replacement for my old Zaggsparq 2.0.

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA
Anyone have any ideas for a suitable replacement portable iPhone 5 battery charger?

I went with the New Trent iCarrier.

I'm sure there are many who won't consider this "portable". I do.

I'm writing this on an iPad and haven't figured out how to post pictures otherwise I would.

I'll post a review next week. Sandy slowed delivery. Oh well.

Specs
- Capacity 12000mAh@3.7V (44.4Wh)
- iCarrier Recharge input Time 8 -10 hrs
- Life recharge Cycle > 500 Times
- Input: 5V / 2A
- Dual Outputs: DC 5V/2A and 5V/1A
- Charging time for iPhone 5/4s/4 0.4 -1hr
- Dimension: 2.9x2.8x1.1 inch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.