Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DualShock

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Does anyone know of a Mac compatible webcam that also works well in Windows (Boot Camp), that has an adjustable zoom angle through a manual zoom ring on the lens, or included software?

I had recently purchased, then returned, a Logitech Quickcam Vision Pro for my Mac Pro. I returned it because the picture in iChat was almost pitch black (but was fine in Photo Booth), but more importantly, the zoom angle was way too wide.

The zoom angle of the isight of my early 2009 uMBP 17" is the perfect setting. But then I realized that my Mac Pro's display is toward the back edge of my desk, so therefore it would naturally have a wider zoom angle. If using my MBP, it's typically toward the front of the desk.

(Note, I'm aware of iglasses, but it's Mac only, and I'd rather not pay for extra software just to get a zoom angle right.)

iamcheerful

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
Have/Will you considered using a DV camcorder?
If so, you are pretty much spoilt for choice, but you may not be able to easily mount it on your display. You can have it on a tripod behind your display though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.