Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello to you all. I just got myself a new Air 4. Love the thing but to my surprise and after zillions of searches, I can't find the solution to this little annoyance: how to turn on the shutter sound of the camera. I know there's no sound with LivePhoto but there should be sound with Photo only. Web has only answers to how to turn off shutter sound. Me, I want to turn it on. Coming from an Air 2 that was on ipadOS 14. BTW, I'm very pleased with the 4. Don't mind the new 5. Bought it at Apple refurbished as I always do. Truly came in as new.
Thanks for the cues

Reactions: bondr006

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Glad you are enjoying your IPad Air 4, it’s a great device, basically like a computer when used with a magic keyboard. The Air 5 is even better with its M1 chip and 8 GB RAM. I got to admit though in all the time I have had my Air 3 and 4, I have never used the camera, not once. Rather just use my iPhone and then have the image available on my iPads via photo stream. I guess if your in a situation where you don’t have any other camera but your iPad, one might use the iPad camera then.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello and thank you for your answer but unfortunately it doesn't answer my concern. Take a photo with your iPad 3 and then with your iPad 4 and then tell me if you hear a shutter sound. That would help me a lot. I suspect there is no shutter sound on the Air 4 running iPadOS 15. If so, to me it's a bug. No one should take for granted that all users don't want to hear a shutter sound when taking picture and make it mandatory.

Reactions: snipr125

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Hello and thank you for your answer but unfortunately it doesn't answer my concern. Take a photo with your iPad 3 and then with your iPad 4 and then tell me if you hear a shutter sound. That would help me a lot. I suspect there is no shutter sound on the Air 4 running iPadOS 15. If so, to me it's a bug. No one should take for granted that all users don't want to hear a shutter sound when taking picture and make it mandatory.
Ill test them both out and get back to you, although neither of them are on IOS 15.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Hello to you all. I just got myself a new Air 4. Love the thing but to my surprise and after zillions of searches, I can't find the solution to this little annoyance: how to turn on the shutter sound of the camera. I know there's no sound with LivePhoto but there should be sound with Photo only. Web has only answers to how to turn off shutter sound. Me, I want to turn it on. Coming from an Air 2 that was on ipadOS 14. BTW, I'm very pleased with the 4. Don't mind the new 5. Bought it at Apple refurbished as I always do. Truly came in as new.
Thanks for the cues
I have no camera shutter sound on my M1 iPP 11 either. Googled and found solutions, none of which work. From my search, there is supposed to be a camera shutter sound on iPads. I just can't get it enabled. Never really thought about it before, but thanks to you, I am aware I can't hear it. Will drive me crazy now...o_O:p

PS. On the phone with Apple Support right now..:D Hour later(12:49pm) and still no solution.:( Will get a call back next Saturday. Hopefully with a solution.

Last edited:

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
It is quirky for me too. It may be obvious, but in Sounds make sure "Change with Buttons" is toggled On. Then increase the "Ringer and Alerts" volume just above it to max. Then before starting the Camera app, increase the physical volume button to max.

• Love
Reactions: bondr006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.