Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IT Troll

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
Definitely seeing it on the 11" at low brightness levels in dark rooms on greys. It is like a dithered colour effect, which I guess is what it is at a subpixel level. You do have to be close to see it. I first noticed it on the on-screen keyboard; initially I thought they had added a subtle texture effect to the keys! Perhaps it has something to do with the management tricks they are using to prevent OLED burn in.

Last edited:
Reactions: twinpeaks_sf

technoholic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
Had my replacement 13 arrive today. The grain is effectively gone now, exact same viewing conditions. I can’t believe the difference.

However the yellow tint is there still, comparing a black and white image across the iPad, phone and MacBook and the iPad just looks completely different.

Going to have to try to dial it out with tinting in accessibility.

IMG_1256 (1).jpeg

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Had my replacement 13 arrive today. The grain is effectively gone now, exact same viewing conditions. I can’t believe the difference.

However the yellow tint is there still, comparing a black and white image across the iPad, phone and MacBook and the iPad just looks completely different.

View attachment 2379332

That looks pink to me

Reactions: IT Troll

technoholic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
That’s just the photo but in real life it’s more yellow/red. But the photo shows the difference at least

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
How do you find out the manufacturer of the display? For those with nano displays that don’t have this issue can you check who the manufacturer is?

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008

View attachment 2379332
It looks like the iPad just has a warmer white balance. This happens across different Apple display manufacturers and devices.

technoholic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
It looks like the iPad just has a warmer white balance. This happens across different Apple display manufacturers and devices.
Which would be understandable except in the store, comparing my old one next to the display one was like 2 completely different devices, not all the screens are the same it seems

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Even though you reckoned the 13" wasn't any bigger for video than the 11"?

I didn’t say it wasn’t bigger. I said it wasn’t that much bigger and not a deal breaker. I got the 13 inch due to deciding to just wanting the bigger screen, being lighter

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
11" also seeing it. The green tint in sunlight is more annoying but hopefully the grain issue can be fixed via a firmware update.

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
11" also seeing it. The green tint in sunlight is more annoying but hopefully the grain issue can be fixed via a firmware update.
the chances of that are VERY low, as it is a hardware issue. especially as only select units seem to be affected. if it is noticeable during normal use I‘d get a replacement while you can.

lowimpact

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2012
I have an S24 with this issue and only see at extremely low brightness levels where it's hard to see anyways. Definitely most visible in grey areas.

For the new iPads Pros what are the odds this OLED issue is just unit variation that Apple has deemed "acceptable" (like the S24) where there is a reasonably good chance of either getting a unit either without the grainy display issue or where the issue is minor enough to be manageable if you're willing to deal with 1-2 returns?

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
the chances of that are VERY low, as it is a hardware issue. especially as only select units seem to be affected. if it is noticeable during normal use I‘d get a replacement while you can.

Hmm ok. It doesn't bother me a huge amount so I'm not sure if the hassle of getting a replacement will be worth it. I'll test again tonight when it's dark and see what I think. Thanks for the heads up.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Hmm ok. It doesn't bother me a huge amount so I'm not sure if the hassle of getting a replacement will be worth it. I'll test again tonight when it's dark and see what I think. Thanks for the heads up.
Compare it to a non OLED iPad or your iPhone. I thought I saw it at times but looks the same in my old iPad and iPhone

Reactions: zakarhino

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

I seem to have a "good" one. But we don't know if there even is an issue, some say that's normal for OLED. The fact some people have a "good" one may merely be people who aren't as sensitive to these issues. I still can't see jelly on the Mini 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.