Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Might be weird question but I end up carrying my iPhone Plus and iPad to different rooms, depending where I want to chill.

Then on top of that, I have an OLED Steam Deck (highly, highly recommend btw).

I end up feeling like I’m lugging around 3 sizeable devices, not knowing which one I really want to just carry around.

I want a new iPad Pro, but my 2018 iPad is ‘fine’, and be honest, the Steam Deck gets most attention, so I’m taking that into the living room, bedroom, etc as a priority.

Do you leave a device in a specific room, or take multiple around the house with you?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I used to move a lot so it usually depended on the house layout. If I had a multi-level house then usually the laptop/desktop would stay in my office while an iPad would stay in the living room or downstairs area. A single-level home means most of my tech stays in the office. I walk around with my iPhone since I need to be buy a phone 24/7 for works purposes.

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
I carry my phone around, and leave other devices where I think I'll wind up using them the most (a desk, by the couch, etc).

Reactions: G5isAlive

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Do you leave a device in a specific room, or take multiple around the house with you?

The day I start worrying about carrying electronic distraction boxes from room to room like My Precious is the day I need someone to hit me on the back of the head with a shovel. When I'm home and around my family, I try to stay off my phone and my iPad. I check in on information or distractions during the times (and when in the places, in my home or elsewhere) I've set aside for that behavior, not the other way around. YMMV, of course, and to each their own for what works best for them.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Most of the time I’m reading so it’s almost always the Mini 6. If I’m mostly browsing, I’d carry the 11”.

The iPhone just stays on the charging dock or purse. I pretty much never use it at home.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Almost always have my phone but my work requires me to be available, not to worry they pay for that privilege. My iPad mini stays next to my bed, my 13 inch iPad Pro in my office and the 11 inch by the couch.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I leave my iPad by my recliner in the living room, as that is where I read and watch TV. Often I'll want to look something up for more on what I've read or seen/heard. But the iPad sometimes is needed upstairs at the computer desk, and for convenience, in (Ahem!) another room. My phone stays in my pocket.

u2u2

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
GTA
I can relate to the OPs question as every day I balance what I want to do with the area I am in and the space, lighting, and comfort issues that result. No happy ending as there is always too much of a compromise on something and, as often as not, device size and screen abilities are a big factor. Solution, for me, the 11” M4 iPad Pro with magic keyboard. A downsize from my previous 12.9” but it packs the needed power, fits into more scenarios, and does most tasks needed. The screen is to die for. Working on leaving the phone behind… so only one device need travel around the home.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Unless I'm about to go to bed I almost never touch my iPhone when I'm at home. I carry around my iPad.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
I cannot relate to the question. The benefit of the iPad is that it is portable! So I will carry it up or down stairs as needed. It’s generally in either my office or living room but I don’t have to prioritise anything or decide what to use where. If I need an iPad I will pick it up.

Reactions: stanza.richi

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I cannot relate to the question. The benefit of the iPad is that it is portable! So I will carry it up or down stairs as needed. It’s generally in either my office or living room but I don’t have to prioritise anything or decide what to use where. If I need an iPad I will pick it up.

I guess it becomes a problem when you have multiple devices.

I certainly don’t carry all my iPads with me around the house. I agree that “prioritising” is a weird way to put it. I just carry the one I’m using or I plan to use depending on what I’m doing.

NikkiAngel

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2015
Buffalo, NY
My iPad 11 goes with me all over the house. In the kitchen it’s my TV, on the couch I’m browsing sites and reading. In bed, TV or browsing/reading. For work it’s my “laptop“.

My iPhone 14 max goes with me all over the house. Not really sure why though, because i don’t really get phone calls outside of work hours and I can answer texts from my iPad or my watch. Maybe tomorrow, I’ll leave the phone by the bed after work and see how it works out.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
I would rather carry around a 55" TV to around the house than an iPad for the much bigger screen size alone.

Reactions: 3Rock

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
My iMac sits on the desk, my ageing MBP next to the bed, and the iPhone lives next to my keys and only comes with me when I go out. I don't see a need to carry any of them around the house with me.

Reactions: MisterSavage

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
I guess it becomes a problem when you have multiple devices.

I certainly don’t carry all my iPads with me around the house. I agree that “prioritising” is a weird way to put it. I just carry the one I’m using or I plan to use depending on what I’m doing.
I don’t see a need for multiple iPads (for myself, I mean). I got it as a portable option so I could switch from MBP to iMac. So computer lives on my desk, and I usually carry the iPad when it’s needed. My phone is always in my pocket.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
  • Haha
Reactions: Webcat86

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
I guess if you want, you could buy one of these carts, place all your gadgets inside, and push it around the house.

Then you have the choice of whatever device you want at any one time.
or...

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
In our house, it’s more about: “Where did the 4 year old or 1 year old put the iPad they stole and dropped in a random location?”
Find my location is so helpful in those situations. Also try to put them in a place where its harder for them to grab but toddlers are very creative and like to climb so lol.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I usually have my IPP + MKB upstairs next to my work computer since I work from home. Once I’m done work, I usually bring my iPhone and MBA downstairs with me. But it’s usually the iPhone that goes with me everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.