Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_head

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
There's this wallpaper bug in IOS that has been around like forever. When I setup a custom wallpaper and then swipe from the lockscreen to my homescreen, the color of my wallpaper shifts...it's really annoying.

I've tried restarting my iPhone but nothing seems to fix the issue – Is there a workaround?

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
Could you post a screen recording of that issue? 🤔
I never heard of it ever. And neither me nor my wife are seeing this behavior on our 14 Pro Max iPhones and we both are using custom wallpapers since forever.

Also on my old 11 Pro I am using custom wallpapers without any problem.

mac_head

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
Here's a screen recording of the issue. You can see how the colors are "shifting" as soon as it is unlocked.
It's a JPG image...

Reactions: Populus

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I see it on mine, too. Almost like the color profile changes. There's a drop in color saturation but until you pointed it out, I had never noticed!

Reactions: mac_head

Acid Gambit

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2021
There is also a bug with blur effect applied to home screen wallpaper. It oversatures the wallpaper a lot.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I have watched it about 10 times now but can't see it, maybe I don't fully understand what you mean.
Is it the whole background that changes colour?

Reactions: HDFan

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I have watched it about 10 times now but can't see it, maybe I don't fully understand what you mean.
Is it the whole background that changes colour?
It desaturates ever so slightly. Check out my son’s bright orange hat. As I engage the Lock Screen the color saturation gets boosted. I almost feel like it’s a stylistic choice on Apple’s part.

Last edited:
Reactions: HDFan and mac_head

mac_head

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
It desaturates ever so slightly. Check out my son’s bright orange hat. As I engage the Lock Screen the color saturation gets boosted. I almost feel like it’s a stylistic choice on Apple’s part.

View attachment 2377900

Great example! That‘s exactly what I meant. I’ve seen it on any of my wallpapers and highly doubt it’s a stylistic choice by Apple

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Ah, now I can see it.
Who knows, trying to think that IF its a stylistic choice it could be that the lock screen is supposed to look like a "filter" on top of the pic that gets swiped away.
But then I would imagine it would have been seen in earlier releases.

Any idea of when it started appearing?

mac_head

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
Ah, now I can see it.
Who knows, trying to think that IF its a stylistic choice it could be that the lock screen is supposed to look like a "filter" on top of the pic that gets swiped away.
But then I would imagine it would have been seen in earlier releases.

Any idea of when it started appearing?

I think for me it started with iOS 16.6 (or even earlier). I remember hoping iOS 17 would fix it, but here we are...

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
This has been happening to me for a while. If the Home Screen wallpaper is blurred, the colors aren’t affected. However, if you don’t blur the wallpaper, then the colors are dull, so to speak. I have to perform a hard reset on my iPhone and that usually helps with ensuring the colors don’t change when going from the Lock Screen to the Home Screen. Definitely frustrating for sure that Apple hasn’t fixed this bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.