Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SzPeter77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2021
I have set the camera app taking photos with "vivid" filter and in the settings under "Preserve setrings" the "Creative controls" so I take all pictures with "vivid" filter. It's okay for me. But I realized its size takes double of storage because the camera app saves two versions: the original photo as a HEIC image and a FullSizeRender.jpg rendered image with the filter. The original is 1,5MB in size and the rendered is 1,3MB. So it takes almost double storage. (You can check it with an app like Metapho)
If I take a lot of photos it will consume a lot of space in my iPhone storage because all images are stored with duplicate originals. Is it a way to keep only the rendered images to save space? I think there should be an option under the settings "keep filtered images only" or "delete originals after X days" because I don't want to edit old photos after eg. one month so I don't need the originals which takes a lot of space. I don't want to buy a new iPhone with larger storage because of this.

Attachments

• 6D109CCB-250A-4D69-9079-1EA2656BA9B6.png
    6D109CCB-250A-4D69-9079-1EA2656BA9B6.png
    1,000.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.