Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strelok-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2024
I‘ve been paying around with watching HDR content on my new iPad, and I’m quite confused regarding how iPadOS handles HDR playback.

Am I supposed to set brightness to 100% to get the artistic intent? Or use reference mode? Most OLED TVs and monitors lock brightness when you watch HDR and handle tone mapping appropriately. iPadOS allows brightness to be changed at will during HDR playback.

I’m assuming 100% brightness will tonemap the highlights to 1600 nits?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Just play an HDR video and let it do its thing. There’s more to HDR than brightness levels. Reference mode is something different and requires calibration input from external equipment.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I‘ve been paying around with watching HDR content on my new iPad, and I’m quite confused regarding how iPadOS handles HDR playback.

Am I supposed to set brightness to 100% to get the artistic intent? Or use reference mode? Most OLED TVs and monitors lock brightness when you watch HDR and handle tone mapping appropriately. iPadOS allows brightness to be changed at will during HDR playback.

That’s my question too and I couldn’t find the answer. On OLED TVs, you set the backlight to 100 for HDR, because HDR tonemaps in nits, not in percentages and that will only raise the brightness of highlights, not overall brightness.

On iPads…. I have no idea. I feel like maximum brightness makes the picture too bright. I watch HDR movies at roughly 70% brightness in a dark room. But no idea what setting provides the correct tone mapping.

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
You need to set the brightness to 100% for HDR content otherwise it will display correctly.

I wish it would do it automatically like TV’s do.

Wind30

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2024

From my experience with the miniled, I think it is automatic. It seems to work pretty well

xsmett

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
I dont think the brightness settings on iPad affect the HDR highlights.

My LG and Sony TVs have a separate setting for HDR Peak brightness. Sometimes I don’t put this on max, because i find some HDR Highlights in some movies way too bright. Wish iPad OS would have a explicit setting for HDR Brightness.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
A few years ago, HDTVTest site said to do the following when talking about the iPhone HDR:
Turn off True Tone
Turn off auto brightness
Turn brightness to 100%

I wish there was a short cut that would do that in on step but I haven't found it.
I also wish there were a Dolby type setting that I have on my LG OLED.
Once Dolby Vision or HDR is detected, it is flagged that is on and a reference setting is automatically applied.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.