802.11n WiFi
Aluminum back
VGA front-facing camera w/ FaceTime
Microphone
iOS 4.1
iWork for iPhone/iPod touch shipping to be released later this month
16GB 3rd gen - $199, 32GB 4th gen - $299, 64GB 4th gen - $399
POSSIBLE BUT UNLIKELY: 5MP rear-facing camera w/ 720p video capture

Updates to nano (touch screen? 32GB?), shuffle (1" touch screen?) and iPod classic capacity bump to 250GB

iTV

99¢ TV show rentals
Possibly some sort of Hulu-plus-esque subscription
Slimmer/more portable form factor
Flash storage
$99
Update to Remote application for iOS 4/iTV control/iPad support

iTunes X

Cloud-based streaming
Minor interface improvements

iOS 4.1 for iPad

Exposé multitasking
Folders
iAds
Run iPhone 4 applications at larger size without pixel-doubling
Beta release today to developers
Public release in late October
POSSIBLE BUT UNLIKELY: iLife for iPad

I know there have been similar threads, but I thought I would contribute my in-depth predictions now that we are only a week away. Post your predictions below!

Peterson8765
Aug 25, 2010, 11:33 PM
Nice thread. Agreed on the iPod touch, but I still think it will stick to 256MB RAM. The iPod nano needs to get 32GB this refresh around, and I think it will happen. I also think a 3MP rear cam is going to be on the back of the touch this year, as well as a gyroscope and a high chance of a retina display and FaceTime camera.

AceFernalld
Aug 25, 2010, 11:48 PM
Nice thread. Agreed on the iPod touch, but I still think it will stick to 256MB RAM. The iPod nano needs to get 32GB this refresh around, and I think it will happen. I also think a 3MP rear cam is going to be on the back of the touch this year, as well as a gyroscope and a high chance of a retina display and FaceTime camera.

Thanks! :D
I'm saying 512MB RAM because the iPod touch is marketed and thought of by Apple as a gaming device, and increasing the RAM to that of the iPhone 4 would make it function better as a gaming device with loading times and graphics. Plus, it's inexpensive and the RAM of the iPod touch has always been the same as the iPhone (first gen 128, second and third 256). Just my 2¢ though :p

sarmo187
Aug 26, 2010, 12:46 AM
I really hope they get all those features on the new ipods, i would be fine with a 3mp cam, as long as there is the retina, rear camera, mic, and gyroscope im pretty much ecstatic :D :D :D :D

lbro
Aug 26, 2010, 12:48 AM
I'm saying 512MB RAM because the iPod touch is marketed and thought of by Apple as a gaming device, and increasing the RAM to that of the iPhone 4 would make it function better as a gaming device with loading times and graphics. Plus, it's inexpensive and the RAM of the iPod touch has always been the same as the iPhone (first gen 128, second and third 256). Just my 2¢ though :p

Nice little post Ace! I agree, the RAM will most likely be bumped to 512MB. If it has been 256 for two gens than it must change.

AceFernalld
Aug 26, 2010, 01:02 AM
I really hope they get all those features on the new ipods, i would be fine with a 3mp cam, as long as there is the retina, rear camera, mic, and gyroscope im pretty much ecstatic :D :D :D :D

Hah, same! By far my most desired feature is the Retina Display, how about you? :)

sarmo187
Aug 26, 2010, 01:04 AM
Hah, same! By far my most desired feature is the Retina Display, how about you? :)

Yea the crispness is honestly amazing.. i walked into an Apple store.. i had a wow moment it was SOOO clear it blew my mind. If they dont put the retina :/ its going to be a hard buy for me -_-

AceFernalld
Aug 26, 2010, 01:13 AM
Yea the crispness is honestly amazing.. i walked into an Apple store.. i had a wow moment it was SOOO clear it blew my mind. If they dont put the retina :/ its going to be a hard buy for me -_-

Same here! When using an iPhone 4 demo at my closest AT&T I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped. Such clarity in text, home screen icons and webpages. Haven't seen video or photos, but I'm sure they would also be amazing. I viewed MacRumors and fully zoomed out I could still read all of the text, try THAT on a 320x480 display! :D

P.S. I'd say it would be a hard buy for me as well, but unfortunately I'm currently using a 1st gen touch, so any improvements are extreme ones. :)

sarmo187
Aug 26, 2010, 01:32 AM
Same here! When using an iPhone 4 demo at my closest AT&T I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped. Such clarity in text, home screen icons and webpages. Haven't seen video or photos, but I'm sure they would also be amazing. I viewed MacRumors and fully zoomed out I could still read all of the text, try THAT on a 320x480 display! :D

P.S. I'd say it would be a hard buy for me as well, but unfortunately I'm currently using a 1st gen touch, so any improvements are extreme ones. :)

To be honest I have never bought a touch -_- so this is going to be the first time, i would have bought the last one but no cam lost me :/

AceFernalld
Aug 26, 2010, 01:52 AM
To be honest I have never bought a touch -_- so this is going to be the first time, i would have bought the last one but no cam lost me :/

You'll be amazed with the experience! :)

sarmo187
Aug 26, 2010, 02:14 AM
You'll be amazed with the experience! :)

Yea im sooooo excited i saved all my birthday money (august 19) and i even am getting christmas money in advance from my dad just to get it.. ive downloaded over 50 apps.. im really excited i hope they pull through with a great product

AceFernalld
Aug 26, 2010, 03:22 AM
Yea im sooooo excited i saved all my birthday money (august 19) and i even am getting christmas money in advance from my dad just to get it.. ive downloaded over 50 apps.. im really excited i hope they pull through with a great product

Wow! My birthday was the 17th and I saved up all of MY birthday money just to get this and iTunes money for songs/movies/apps. Really weird similarities :p
Just curious, did you turn 15 too? :D

GregR
Aug 26, 2010, 09:17 AM

ya, I should really to to an apple/AT&T store, and actually hold an iPhone 4 lol. I reguraly read macrumors on my iPod touch, and I don't even have to zoom in. And I'm not even wearing my glasses. You may need to get your eyes checked out or something lol...

I'm a first gen too, and I am sooooo looking forward to this update. It's and improvement on EVERYTHING! this will definately NOT be a hard buy for me.

sarmo187
Aug 26, 2010, 11:38 AM
Wow! My birthday was the 17th and I saved up all of MY birthday money just to get this and iTunes money for songs/movies/apps. Really weird similarities :p

Nope :D i turned 16 :p but yea still very similar

ralts
Aug 26, 2010, 05:02 PM

I turned 15 on the 15th! :D And saved some of my birthday money.

My predictions for the iPod Touch 4:

A4 and 512MB/RAM because the iPod Touch's have always had the same processor and RAM specs as the iPhone, and having lower specs than the iPhone would mean either the apps wouldn't work as well on the iPod Touch (which Apple doesn't want) or that the apps wouldn't take full advantage of the iPhone 4 specs because the devs want it to be compatible with the 'Touch.

Gyroscope, because its main purpose is for gaming, and that's what the 'Touch is marketed as.

3MP rear-facing camera, because, well, it's going to have a camera, and the 3 gen prototypes had the iPhone 3G (2MP) camera.

Front facing camera with Facetime, because Steve jobs said "millions of Facetime devices by the end of the year" and the email based Facetime thingy.

Retina Display, maybe, since it is a media/gaming device

Microphone? Probably, unless they want to target Facetime to only deaf people :p.

iOS 4.1 with Game Center (is that what it's called?)...

802.11n WiFi, obvious update.

Aluminum back - They haven't update the 'Touch's design in forever, and have always had the chrome back. They love that chrome. But I hope they change it.

Guzzy
Aug 26, 2010, 05:19 PM
I agree with everything about the iPod Touch, but I'm going with the 512MB RAM and the 5MP camera.

I'm also still holding out for 3G. And they better get rid of the annoying chrome. Sure it looks nice, but scratches too easily and look's ugly after awhile.

pukifloyd
Aug 26, 2010, 05:45 PM
i hope you're true :)
been waiting for the new touch for a long time now :rolleyes:

AceFernalld
Aug 26, 2010, 07:10 PM
ya, I should really to to an apple/AT&T store, and actually hold an iPhone 4 lol. I reguraly read macrumors on my iPod touch, and I don't even have to zoom in. And I'm not even wearing my glasses. You may need to get your eyes checked out or something lol...

I'm a first gen too, and I am sooooo looking forward to this update. It's and improvement on EVERYTHING! this will definately NOT be a hard buy for me.

You'll see what I mean when you see a Retina Display. :D

Can you really read the links on the left of the page?! I have 20/20 vision and I can't. Everything is just so clear on the iPhone 4.

I'm getting my iPod touch 4 on September 3rd I can't wait! :)

fel10
Aug 26, 2010, 07:26 PM
Retina Display
Rear Camera
Built in Mic

And I will be the happiest man alive!!!

AceFernalld
Aug 26, 2010, 09:03 PM
I agree with everything about the iPod Touch, but I'm going with the 512MB RAM and the 5MP camera.

I'm also still holding out for 3G. And they better get rid of the annoying chrome. Sure it looks nice, but scratches too easily and look's ugly after awhile.

Yup I'm thinking 512MB RAM as well, and hoping for that awesome 5MP camera, but I know in reality they probably won't give it to us until the 5th generation. I'd advise not holding your breath for 3G, that's a huge distinguishing factor between the iPhone and iPod touch.

I turned 15 on the 15th! :D And saved some of my birthday money.

My predictions for the iPod Touch 4:

A4 and 512MB/RAM because the iPod Touch's have always had the same processor and RAM specs as the iPhone, and having lower specs than the iPhone would mean either the apps wouldn't work as well on the iPod Touch (which Apple doesn't want) or that the apps wouldn't take full advantage of the iPhone 4 specs because the devs want it to be compatible with the 'Touch.

Gyroscope, because its main purpose is for gaming, and that's what the 'Touch is marketed as.

3MP rear-facing camera, because, well, it's going to have a camera, and the 3 gen prototypes had the iPhone 3G (2MP) camera.

Front facing camera with Facetime, because Steve jobs said "millions of Facetime devices by the end of the year" and the email based Facetime thingy.

Retina Display, maybe, since it is a media/gaming device

Microphone? Probably, unless they want to target Facetime to only deaf people :p.

iOS 4.1 with Game Center (is that what it's called?)...

802.11n WiFi, obvious update.

Aluminum back - They haven't update the 'Touch's design in forever, and have always had the chrome back. They love that chrome. But I hope they change it.
Very well said. I'm going with 100% on the Retina Display, out of all the new features that is the one that would improve the iPod touch's gaming capabilities the most! :eek:
Plus, that leaked LCD/digitizer was very similar to the iPhone 4's, meaning it probably had a Retina Display. :)

GregR
Aug 26, 2010, 09:19 PM
You'll see what I mean when you see a Retina Display. :D

Can you really read the links on the left of the page?! I have 20/20 vision and I can't. Everything is just so clear on the iPhone 4.

I'm getting my iPod touch 4 on September 3rd I can't wait! :)
Ok well not the left side of the page. If o have zooomed in and read it before, I can tell what is what, but barely, I really need to see a retina display...
Retina Display
Rear Camera
Built in Mic

if the rumors are true, then you are going to be one happy man

AceFernalld
Aug 26, 2010, 09:42 PM
Ok well not the left side of the page. If o have zooomed in and read it before, I can tell what is what, but barely, I really need to see a retina display...

All of it is crystal clear on the Retina Display. :D
I just can't shut up about how awesome it is! :o

Come, my beautiful 64GB 4th gen iPod touch, come to me now! :p

Peterson8765
Aug 26, 2010, 10:17 PM

Yeah I think theres a 50/50 chance. Anything is possible.

Padraig
Aug 27, 2010, 03:44 AM
Anyone who thinks that Apple is pulling out an iPad - even the rumoured 7 inch model - with a 300+dpi panel is deluded.

AceFernalld
Aug 27, 2010, 03:55 AM
Anyone who thinks that Apple is pulling out an iPad - even the rumoured 7 inch model - with a 300+dpi panel is deluded.

Very true. As far as I see it there are no advantages to a 7" iPad, so I don't think they will ever introduce one.

mediaseo
Aug 27, 2010, 04:05 AM
Retina Display
Rear Camera
Built in Mic

:Dhahahah great..very well said...

Ipodize
Aug 27, 2010, 04:07 AM
Very true. As far as I see it there are no advantages to a 7" iPad, so I don't think they will ever introduce one.

I agree. And I'm 99.9% sure apple agrees too.

hotchson
Aug 27, 2010, 06:33 AM
I agree. And I'm 99.9% sure apple agrees too.

I would not be surprised if Apple decided to give away one or more games for free!

I definitely want to buy the new ipod touch, how long does it take before we have the reviews and and everything? When do the start shipping to Australia?

SlovakApple
Aug 27, 2010, 09:33 AM
OP, I would love to see an iPod touch like you have described it.:D I am hoping for a retina display and FaceTime. Especially the latter would be awesome!!

Dr Kevorkian94
Aug 27, 2010, 10:04 AM
i agree but not with:

1) iOS 4 for iPad- they always seed the upcoming update like a month before to developers. i think they will give us a preview and a date.

2) iTunes- they cant do cloud now if you have read articles on this site apple doesn't yet have the support from the music labels. they will probably say that its in the works and yada yada yada.

other than that i think you are spot on :D

lukefinch
Aug 27, 2010, 11:40 AM
The new devices will continue to be hugely hyped up until they are announced on the first.

On that day, Steve will announce something that half lives up to the expectations but doesn't really have everything we were all hoping for.

Following this, everyone will say that it's awful and pointless then when we finally have chance to get our hands on one, it will be another instant hit as you can guarantee it will be brilliant regardless of what it is or isn't.

Just like the iPad :D

Peterson8765
Aug 27, 2010, 01:02 PM
The most anticipated feature of the touch for me is a rear camera. A retina would be really nice as well.

Methalius
Aug 27, 2010, 01:15 PM
Following this, everyone will say that it's awful and pointless then when we finally have chance to get our hands on one, it will be another instant hit as you can guarantee it will be brilliant regardless of what it is or isn't.

Agreed. I'm trying to not set my expectations too high. I'm just hoping for more storage space. Anything else will be gravy. I have a feeling that it will be as similar to the iPhone 4 as possible just without the ability to make phone calls.

It seems like the first few Touch's have been mirror images of the iPhone but again, without the ability to make phone calls.

ademuth93
Aug 27, 2010, 01:53 PM
I'm just hoping for more storage space.

I think the consensus is that we won't get more storage space. There's a chance, but not much of one. Sorry:(

puregutsxc
Aug 27, 2010, 02:51 PM
my thoughts-

retina display
2 cameras, rear with same flash as iphone
gyro (not the sandwich)
512 ram
same capacity
aluminum back similar to ipad (liquidmetal anyone??)
iOS 4.1 with gamecenter
itunes 10 with cloud streaming coming later this year
iPad iOS 4 announced, coming later this year
229, 299, 399 prices

oh and steve jobs will wear a black turtleneck, jeans, and white sneakers.

Biker
Aug 27, 2010, 02:58 PM

where did that info leak from!!!:D

sarmo187
Aug 27, 2010, 03:06 PM
where did that info leak from!!!:D

Steve is such a geek but i love that guy ;D

iSpaghettiCat
Aug 27, 2010, 03:08 PM
my thoughts-

retina display
2 cameras, rear with same flash as iphone
gyro (not the sandwich)
512 ram
same capacity
aluminum back similar to ipad (liquidmetal anyone??)
iOS 4.1 with gamecenter
itunes 10 with cloud streaming coming later this year
iPad iOS 4 announced, coming later this year
229, 299, 399 prices

^ This.

Although I think Apple will do the same thing as last year, in terms of device pricing: $199 for an 8GB (or 16GB, not sure whether Apple wants to go that route) 3rd gen iPod touch, same as the current generation in terms of hardware; and then 32GB and 64GB 4th generation for $299 and $399, respectively.

JoshJosh117
Aug 27, 2010, 03:19 PM
I swear if the touch has the same shiny metal back I will not buy it. I want to be able to use it without a case, but the back gets scratched and smudged with finger prints no matter what you do to it.

sarmo187
Aug 27, 2010, 03:21 PM
I really want a 64gb but I don't think i can cough up the $400, its honestly worth it but i cant afford that considering i want to get the whole 9 yards of accessories. :o

battlekid
Aug 27, 2010, 04:19 PM
I wish they threw in a GPS though.... I really want a GPS in my ipod. On another note, ill buy the new ipod when i return from canada on the 5th or so (currently visiting family)... I have the money, so ill buy the 32GB iPod touch 4, then sell my 32GB iPod touch 3, iOS 4.0, good condition. $225 seems fair. Lol, anyone want to buy it? :D SHSH is already backed up, iOS 4.0 and iOS 4.0.2 SHSH saved. Anyways.... I think it'll be:
"retina" AKA HD display
gyro (gaming device, cant leave that out :D)
A4 (doh!)
rear facing camera, maybe 3GS one or 3G one....
maybe front camera for facetime
802.11N (cant WAIT!!!!)

battlekid
Aug 27, 2010, 04:25 PM
It's funny though, my father is retired but he knows a *****LOAD of crap about the tech industry. He's spoken at WWDC (years ago). He told me that iPad was always known as "project cr@pper" (steve wanted a small computer for the toilet :D). He tried to explain the concept of a iPod touch/iPhone to me a few years before it came out. He had prototype photos of the iPad in his office at work. He met steve, but said that he was a bit of a character (and a bit of an @ss). Funny times.... Well, its fun having this kind of parent.... lol.

4DThinker
Aug 27, 2010, 05:20 PM
My prediction for the new Touch? Half what anyone expects. Apple always leaves features out that everyone is expecting.

battlekid
Aug 27, 2010, 08:02 PM
My prediction for the new Touch? Half what anyone expects. Apple always leaves features out that everyone is expecting.

I totally agree! Lets hope for a lot :D

AceFernalld
Aug 27, 2010, 08:18 PM
OP, I would love to see an iPod touch like you have described it.:D I am hoping for a retina display and FaceTime. Especially the latter would be awesome!!
I personally don't see an overwhelming appeal to FaceTime, I think a lot of people will end up never using it, but I may be wrong. :)

i agree but not with:

1) iOS 4 for iPad- they always seed the upcoming update like a month before to developers. i think they will give us a preview and a date.

2) iTunes- they cant do cloud now if you have read articles on this site apple doesn't yet have the support from the music labels. they will probably say that its in the works and yada yada yada.

other than that i think you are spot on :D
I completely agree with #1, that's why in my post I said:
"Beta release today to developers
Public release in late October"

As for #2, I don't really have that much confidence with cloud-integration coming to iTunes, but I think they may offer an option to stream our iTunes libraries from any computer. We'll see soon! :D

229, 299, 399 prices.
Well, Apple already said that $199 was really a magical price point where many people could afford it, so I don't they will raise the price back to $229. I'm saying $199 16GB 3rd gen, $299 32GB 4th gen and $399 64GB 4th gen.

...but the back gets scratched and smudged with finger prints no matter what you do to it.
Too darn true! Cheers for aluminum! :D

sarmo187
Aug 27, 2010, 08:18 PM
I totally agree! Lets hope for a lot :D

I honestly think for SURE they are going to put the retina and gyro, front cam is extremely likely as well.. and im reallllllly hoping for a rear HD cam :o

AceFernalld
Aug 27, 2010, 08:25 PM
I honestly think for SURE they are going to put the retina and gyro, front cam is extremely likely as well.. and im reallllllly hoping for a rear HD cam :o

The way I see it the Retina Display and gyro are necessary to make the iPod touch a better gaming device, which is what Apple's main focus of the iPod touch is. So those two are guaranteed. I'm really hoping for the same rear cam as the iPhone 4, but I know it'll probably just be the same one as the 3GS. :(

puregutsxc
Aug 27, 2010, 08:34 PM
if you have been following engadget, there have been leaks of a front assemly that includes a front facing camera, cases with a hole for a rear facing camera and flash, and the screen was recorded to be almost exactly the same as the iPhone 4's (although not exactly the same, which is interesting). I think for sure we'll see at least a near-retina display, and the two cameras are just about a definite. Apple wants your iPod touch to replace your Flip.
edit: and since this is marketed as a gaming device, gyro is definite.

Liam8
Aug 27, 2010, 09:24 PM
I don't think iLife will be included except they may have an iPad compatible iMovie and a new Garageband app.

Or who knows maybe the super secret new iLife app they keep talking about will be on iPad too :):apple:;)

unchecked
Aug 27, 2010, 09:30 PM
You missed one.

Mention a bit on product streamlining. Classic will eventually phase out. Nano and Shuffle will merge into the new Nauffle.

AceFernalld
Aug 27, 2010, 09:50 PM
if you have been following engadget, there have been leaks of a front assemly that includes a front facing camera, cases with a hole for a rear facing camera and flash, and the screen was recorded to be almost exactly the same as the iPhone 4's (although not exactly the same, which is interesting). I think for sure we'll see at least a near-retina display, and the two cameras are just about a definite. Apple wants your iPod touch to replace your Flip.
edit: and since this is marketed as a gaming device, gyro is definite.

Yup, I love Engadget! I think the screen size on the leaked digitizer was the same as the iPhone 4, but the actual faceplate was a little bit thinner and shorter. I don't think there's a possibility of a "near-Retina" display for three reasons:

They wouldn't be able to advertise it as having the same Retina Display that the iPhone 4 has
If it went under 300ppi they wouldn't be able to call it a Retina Display, and it's already hugging the edge at 326ppi
They won't introduce another new iOS screen resolution because they want App Store fragmentation at a minimum

My 2¢ once again. :D

AceFernalld
Aug 27, 2010, 09:52 PM
Curious as to which model you guys plan on getting (based on these assumed specs), if any?

I'm going for a 64GB! :D

lbro
Aug 27, 2010, 09:57 PM
Curious as to which model you guys plan on getting (based on these assumed specs), if any?

It really depends on what the prices will be. I want the fastest one but I don't need a lot of memory. I can make do with 16GB but I would love a 32GB version. It would be nice if I could buy a 16GB for $199 with the fastest speed over the whole line of iPod touches but I don't really want to be spending more than that.

Ipodize
Aug 27, 2010, 10:56 PM

32GB, my budget doesn't extend to a 64GB :(

SoraLimit
Aug 28, 2010, 01:20 AM
I'm slightly past the 16 GB point of content, and have to selective of what content I want on my current iPod. I'm definitely getting a 32 GB.

Ds92
Aug 28, 2010, 01:41 AM
My predictions:

Front facing camera
Retina display(possibly)
3 mp rear facing camera with video capabilities only
A4 processor
Better battery life and wifi
Gyroscope

I'm think the rear camera will be as such since it would require lesser space and still set it apart from the iPhone

sineplex
Aug 28, 2010, 03:44 AM
3G for data and you're SOLD !!

AceFernalld
Aug 28, 2010, 07:41 AM
3 mp rear facing camera with video capabilities only ... I'm think the rear camera will be as such since it would require lesser space and still set it apart from the iPhone

Well I think it'll be 3MP, but I think it'll have photo-taking capabilities as well. I don't think they would put the limited, video-only capability in the iPod touch.

WLS
Aug 28, 2010, 11:04 AM
3G for data and you're SOLD !!
Me too! I could see a 3G Touch becoming the iPad Nano with a yet to be announced 7" iPad mini in the works.
Apple would have a line that would pretty much own the tablet market
That's why they would do it- it's called vision and strategic planning.

Peterson8765
Aug 28, 2010, 12:06 PM
Hopefully there is a rear cam on the touch, a ton of rumors are saying its just going to be a FaceTime cam on the next touch.

MCIowaRulz
Aug 28, 2010, 12:43 PM
I want a 128 GB iPod Touch
I've blown past a 64 GB

Salacion
Aug 28, 2010, 12:51 PM
It's funny though, my father is retired but he knows a *****LOAD of crap about the tech industry. He's spoken at WWDC (years ago). He told me that iPad was always known as "project cr@pper" (steve wanted a small computer for the toilet :D). He tried to explain the concept of a iPod touch/iPhone to me a few years before it came out. He had prototype photos of the iPad in his office at work. He met steve, but said that he was a bit of a character (and a bit of an @ss). Funny times.... Well, its fun having this kind of parent.... lol.

EGO 101

(a.22) Relatable name dropping pronounces your lack of self esteem.

sarmo187
Aug 28, 2010, 12:56 PM
EGO 101

(a.22) Relatable name dropping pronounces your lack of self esteem.

^ Jealous :D

AceFernalld
Aug 28, 2010, 01:15 PM
I want a 128 GB iPod Touch
I've blown past a 64 GB

Same here! I have so much more content than I can fit on my 64GB iPad. Unfortunately, we probably won't get 128 gigs until sometime next year. :(

macabouttobe
Aug 28, 2010, 03:28 PM
Wow, it's been tough but my son turned 10 in May. Told me he wanted to put his birthday $ toward an iPod Touch and be like his friends who already have them.. I had to walk him through a few threads on this board and the buying guide to get him convinced that it may not be such a great idea to run out and get one, seeing a few months from then there could be a newer version..

He stayed plugged in to the iPhone 4 release and I explained that the Touch has typically followed iPhone's lead with features et al.. He was convinced it'll be worth the wait.

I'm sure we won't be disappointed, would be happy with whatever updates that will be announced. Ordering it as soon as they are accepting orders!

sarmo187
Aug 28, 2010, 04:14 PM
Wow, it's been tough but my son turned 10 in May. Told me he wanted to put his birthday $ toward an iPod Touch and be like his friends who already have them.. I had to walk him through a few threads on this board and the buying guide to get him convinced that it may not be such a great idea to run out and get one, seeing a few months from then there could be a newer version..

He stayed plugged in to the iPhone 4 release and I explained that the Touch has typically followed iPhone's lead with features et al.. He was convinced it'll be worth the wait.

I'm sure we won't be disappointed, would be happy with whatever updates that will be announced. Ordering it as soon as they are accepting orders!

Wow your son must have a lot of will power -_- i know how he feels, considering most of my friends had iphones and itouch's, but i waited and i saved up enough money to get this years release :D

jimbothehobo
Aug 28, 2010, 04:48 PM
I hope they update the whole ipod touch line and not just make the 3rd gen the entry level. Like they did from the 1st gen to the 2nd gen.

sarmo187
Aug 28, 2010, 04:52 PM
I hope they update the whole ipod touch line and not just make the 3rd gen the entry level. Like they did from the 1st gen to the 2nd gen.

SERIOUSLY... that was such a kill last year:mad:

AceFernalld
Aug 29, 2010, 03:05 AM

Unfortunately, because of cost reasons & the precedent they set with the iPhone 3GS & iPhone 4, you can probably expect the $199 model to be a 16GB 3rd generation.

Plutonius
Aug 29, 2010, 07:58 AM
iPod touch 4:
A4
512MB RAM
Gyroscope
802.11n WiFi
iOS 4.1
More Expensive

and on Macrumors
- People will vote with more negative votes on the announcement then positive.
- There will be many threads complaining about missing feature or the cost.
- There will be many post telling everyone not to buy one since they heard Apple will upgrade it soon to add a certain feature.

AceFernalld
Aug 29, 2010, 08:59 AM
iPod touch 4:
A4
512MB RAM
Gyroscope
802.11n WiFi
iOS 4.1
More Expensive.
I agree with everything except the more expensive part, Apple is not one to raise the price of their products. I can't even think of a situation off the top of my head where they have done so.

- There will be many threads complaining about missing feature or the cost.
- There will be many post telling everyone not to buy one since they heard Apple will upgrade it soon to add a certain feature.
So true! :D

jamied95
Aug 29, 2010, 09:14 AM
Might 4.1 have the iPad support? And that's already in Beta isn't it, so it could be GMed on 1st Sep and then released week after or something?

AceFernalld
Aug 29, 2010, 12:11 PM
Might 4.1 have the iPad support? And that's already in Beta isn't it, so it could be GMed on 1st Sep and then released week after or something?

Actually, they haven't even released 4.0 or 4.1 betas for the iPad yet, unfortunately. :(

uuaschbaer
Aug 29, 2010, 05:50 PM
How can the iPod Touch be upgraded with a gyroscope but denied a compass? It would be a waste to fit it with only one of these things. (Although, at the moment, less of a waste if it lacked a gyroscope since there aren't many gyroscopic applications yet.)

MCIowaRulz
Aug 29, 2010, 06:44 PM
What do any of you think about iTunes X for features?

TorontoLRT
Aug 29, 2010, 06:50 PM
Increased social integration, a better interface, etc.

jcharley
Aug 29, 2010, 08:20 PM
Statistics on # of iOS devices, App Store sales, iPad sales, iPhone 4 sales

iPod touch 4:

A4
512MB RAM
Gyroscope
Retina Display
3MP rear-facing camera w/ VGA video
802.11n WiFi
Aluminum back
Microphone
iOS 4.1
iWork for iPhone/iPod touch shipping to be released later this month
POSSIBLE BUT UNLIKELY: 5MP rear-facing camera w/ 720p video capture

Honestly, everytime a new iPod Touch may be released, the words "camera" and "iPod Touch" are associated. I think the only thing that might come out of this is more RAM, an A4 processor, a new body disign and more battery life.

sarmo187
Aug 29, 2010, 08:27 PM
Honestly, everytime a new iPod Touch may be released, the words "camera" and "iPod Touch" are associated. I think the only thing that might come out of this is more RAM, an A4 processor, a new body disign and more battery life.

Well a compass and gyro would be very nice and useful ! :D

jaw04005
Aug 29, 2010, 08:43 PM
I agree with everything except the more expensive part, Apple is not one to raise the price of their products. I can't even think of a situation off the top of my head where they have done so.

Say what?

Maybe their iPods and iOS products, but Apple’s Mac products fluctuate in pricing all the time and have forever — Mac mini, Power Mac/Mac Pro and the 13” MacBook being all prime examples.

Peterson8765
Aug 29, 2010, 09:12 PM
I think cams are going to be a main feature on PMP's like the iPod touch this year and next year.

Salacion
Aug 29, 2010, 09:17 PM

See, this is the problem with our society: keeping up with the Joneses.

Last time I checked, it was good to be unique.

AceFernalld
Aug 29, 2010, 09:18 PM
Say what?

Maybe their iPods and iOS products, but Apple’s Mac products fluctuate in pricing all the time and have forever — Mac mini, Power Mac/Mac Pro and the 13” MacBook being all prime examples.

Hm? Their Macs seem to stay at constant (or lowered) price points while they are given incremental updates every few months. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I seem to remember it being for at least the last 3 years.

Silofolous
Aug 29, 2010, 09:43 PM
See, this is the problem with our society: keeping up with the Joneses.

Last time I checked, it was good to be unique.

Must of been a long time since you checked last, my friend. Conformity is in, sad to say.

I conform to one thing, and its not my friends, trust me.

hotchson
Aug 29, 2010, 09:57 PM
Must of been a long time since you checked last, my friend. Conformity is in, sad to say.

I conform to one thing, and its not my friends, trust me.

So , will we see a similar design to the iphone 4 or a completely different design?

Silofolous
Aug 29, 2010, 10:56 PM
So , will we see a similar design to the iphone 4 or a completely different design?

I'm hoping for the iPhone 4 design. After getting a good feel of it at an Apple Store a week ago, I definitely love the design. If they don't want to give it the glass back, then fine, but I just love the feel of it.

I'm thinking it'll take the iPhone 4's processor, RAM, Retina Display, built-in mic, two cameras (I'm really hoping for a 5MP camera, and thus making the unit thicker, but if it doesn't happen it won't be terrible), no 3G, iOS 4.1 (maybe), gyroscope+accelerometer, and probably what has become standard which is only the 32 and 64Gb versions, with a new 3rd gen 8Gb or 16Gb. I think prices will stay the same.

Plutonius
Aug 30, 2010, 07:10 AM
Hm? Their Macs seem to stay at constant (or lowered) price points while they are given incremental updates every few months. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I seem to remember it being for at least the last 3 years.

Nope - Take a look over the last year. Prices have been going up but they do give you more.

Peterson8765
Aug 30, 2010, 09:48 AM
Game Center is probably gonna be awesome on the new touch, Apple will probably make available to the new "4G" touch though.

skiltrip
Aug 30, 2010, 09:56 AM
Game Center is probably gonna be awesome on the new touch, Apple will probably make available to the new "4G" touch though.

I don't see why, if iOS 4 is available for, and full functional on the iPod touch 3g, that GameCenter won't also be available for it. Not to mention the entry level iPod touch this year will probably be a 16GB 3g model. I can't see them running different software. Hardware difference, yes, but not software.

Derkatwork
Aug 30, 2010, 11:39 AM
I'm thinking it'll take the iPhone 4's processor, RAM, Retina Display, built-in mic, two cameras (I'm really hoping for a 5MP camera, and thus making the unit thicker, but if it doesn't happen it won't be terrible), no 3G, iOS 4.1 (maybe), gyroscope+accelerometer, and probably what has become standard which is only the 32 and 64Gb versions, with a new 3rd gen 8Gb or 16Gb. I think prices will stay the same.

I doubt that that entire list (maybe not even half) will come true. I think the only thing holding Apple back from giving all of that (aside from them doing very incremental upgrades) is the cost of parts, since they want profit over all else. They are a company that looks out for itself first, then the customers. We can always hope for all that though.

I don't see why, if iOS 4 is available for, and full functional on the iPod touch 3g, that GameCenter won't also be available for it. Not to mention the entry level iPod touch this year will probably be a 16GB 3g model. I can't see them running different software. Hardware difference, yes, but not software.

Never doubt that Apple can do something, or at the same time won't do something. Why can't a 2G Ipod touch get a background screen? How hard can that be? I think that they will keep that for the 4G. I don't care since my 1G is 95% dead, so an upgrade is a must.

Guzzy
Aug 30, 2010, 12:09 PM

It's something that's needed on there. It's a personal music player sure, but it's also much more than that. With all the apps, and social features it has, such as Twitter and Facebook, it would make sense to add a camera. It's something almost everyone wants on their iPod wants, plus the nano has one....If the nano can have one why can't the iPod Touch, a more high class and upper level product in their iPod line?

I would willing to sacrifice thickness and have a good 3 to 5MP camera. After holding the iPhone 4, I loved the weight of that thing. It was still extremely thin, and had a 5MP. Why can't we get that on an iPod.

Another thing I really need to for them to get rid of the Chrome. Make it look like the iPhone 4 or something close to it. The Chrome just pisses me off because it looks like **** soon after you get it.

As for prices, I wouldn't be surprised if they lowered the prices alittle. They for the most part have always lowered their prices of their IPODS (re: IPODS), since it's release. Even if they keep their prices of last year, putting the 16GB has $199 would be a safe bet. I sadly would have to go with a 32GB since I already past 16GB of music. (16.2 GB)

A drop in price for the 32GB wouldn't surprise me, since they always find ways to lower the price by costing the cost of production.

I guess we will see on Wednesday

Derkatwork
Aug 30, 2010, 01:40 PM
It's something that's needed on there. It's a personal music player sure, but it's also much more than that. With all the apps, and social features it has, such as Twitter and Facebook, it would make sense to add a camera. It's something almost everyone wants on their iPod wants, plus the nano has one....If the nano can have one why can't the iPod Touch, a more high class and upper level product in their iPod line?

I would willing to sacrifice thickness and have a good 3 to 5MP camera. After holding the iPhone 4, I loved the weight of that thing. It was still extremely thin, and had a 5MP. Why can't we get that on an iPod.

Another thing I really need to for them to get rid of the Chrome. Make it look like the iPhone 4 or something close to it. The Chrome just pisses me off because it looks like **** soon after you get it.

As for prices, I wouldn't be surprised if they lowered the prices alittle. They for the most part have always lowered their prices of their IPODS (re: IPODS), since it's release. Even if they keep their prices of last year, putting the 16GB has $199 would be a safe bet. I sadly would have to go with a 32GB since I already past 16GB of music. (16.2 GB)

A drop in price for the 32GB wouldn't surprise me, since they always find ways to lower the price by costing the cost of production.

I guess we will see on Wednesday

Agreed. Technology is going new places. Back in the day, phones didn't have cameras. They also couldn't text. Everything gains new features over time; like how refrigerators now have screens and advanced settings. Ipods are no different. They too must grow and add on new items. But, I highly doubt that any prices will drop below last years. Technology gets cheaper to make over time, but adding too many features (camera(s), A4, 512RAM, more GB, Retina, new design) gets expensive very quickly.

Peterson8765
Aug 30, 2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah and if Apple adds all of these things quickly then what are they going to add to next years model?

Black Belt
Aug 30, 2010, 02:31 PM
They can add the stuff applicable to next year - like new gadgets, more memory, etc. Seriously, Jobs tendency to screw users by doling out features over years is terrible. The old Apple would never do that, you got an insanely great product from Day 1 with everything you could want. Now the releases are a bunch of disappointments due to greed and screwups. It would be nice to see products without holding things back, they would sell more! And they'd look more competent.

smirk
Aug 30, 2010, 04:19 PM
Seriously, Jobs tendency to screw users by doling out features over years is terrible. The old Apple would never do that, you got an insanely great product from Day 1 with everything you could want.

You mean like a black & white Macintosh with no expansion slots or the ability to add more memory? Sorry, the "old Apple" is just like the current Apple. Which is the same as any other for-profit company in the world.

Derkatwork
Aug 30, 2010, 07:25 PM
They can add the stuff applicable to next year - like new gadgets, more memory, etc. Seriously, Jobs tendency to screw users by doling out features over years is terrible. The old Apple would never do that, you got an insanely great product from Day 1 with everything you could want. Now the releases are a bunch of disappointments due to greed and screwups. It would be nice to see products without holding things back, they would sell more! And they'd look more competent.

They couldn't even get all of the features into the first generation ipod touch. Now they should add more, but up until now it would not have worked as well.

AceFernalld
Aug 30, 2010, 09:12 PM
Yeah and if Apple adds all of these things quickly then what are they going to add to next years model?

Well, what are they going to add to next year's iPhone?

Derkatwork
Aug 30, 2010, 09:59 PM
Well, what are they going to add to next year's iPhone?

4G capability? Maybe Verizon? Aside from that, specs increase is the only big thing I can come up with.

sarmo187
Aug 30, 2010, 10:12 PM
4G capability? Maybe Verizon? Aside from that, specs increase is the only big thing I can come up with.

The iPhone 4 JUST came out and you guys are making predictions.. cmon guys :rolleyes:

Edit: BTW :D :D :D It is 1 day, 13 hours, 39 minutes and 39 seconds until Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 10:00:00 AM (Los Angeles time)

Ipodize
Aug 30, 2010, 10:46 PM
It is 1 day, 13 hours, 13 minutes and 13 seconds until Wednesday, 1 September 2010 at 10:00:00 AM (Los Angeles time)

Can't wait!:eek::D:eek:

AceFernalld
Aug 30, 2010, 10:50 PM
The iPhone 4 JUST came out and you guys are making predictions.. cmon guys :rolleyes:
Well, I wasn't making predictions, I was just responding to someone who said if they add all of those things to the iPod touch 4, then what are they going to add to the next gen iPod touch. And I countered by saying well they already added all of those things to the iPhone 4, so they must have some features up their sleeves that they can add to the iPhone, which can trickle down to the iPod touch. (except condensed) :p

SoraLimit
Aug 30, 2010, 10:51 PM
It is 1 day, 13 hours, 13 minutes and 13 seconds until Wednesday, 1 September 2010 at 10:00:00 AM (Los Angeles time)

Can't wait!:eek::D:eek:

lol Watching that clock seems so torturous. Every second seems so slow. :p:p

sarmo187
Aug 31, 2010, 12:24 AM

Try going 5 minutes.. no joke you'll die.. it IS torture. :(

tadad1
Aug 31, 2010, 12:26 AM

LOL, I know your pain, I have had my desktop widget counting down for a month now.

http://a.imageshack.us/img594/3707/captureksz.jpg

Ipodize
Aug 31, 2010, 12:49 AM
LOL, I know your pain, I have had my desktop widget counting down for a month now.

http://a.imageshack.us/img594/3707/captureksz.jpg

I've had mine for 3 days now...

In exactly 1 day, 11 hours, 12 minutes and 50 seconds, it will be useless. :D

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/1513/picture2bq.png

vanzantapple
Aug 31, 2010, 06:49 AM
1 day, 5 hours, 11 minutes :eek:

Derkatwork
Aug 31, 2010, 07:57 AM

Edit: BTW :D :D :D It is 1 day, 13 hours, 39 minutes and 39 seconds until Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 10:00:00 AM (Los Angeles time)

Those aren't predictions, I'm just saying that Apple still has things to give out. I'm sure we should wait for more definitive proof before speculating something that is a full year out.

AceFernalld
Aug 31, 2010, 09:01 AM
Those aren't predictions, I'm just saying that Apple still has things to give out. I'm sure we should wait for more definitive proof before speculating something that is a full year out.

+1

And we're almost at the 24 hour mark! :D

Derkatwork
Aug 31, 2010, 10:04 AM
+1

And we're almost at the 24 hour mark! :D

We should all just log off and go do something else. Mostly because the forums are full of all of us just posting how many hours left and how excited we are. :D

AceFernalld
Aug 31, 2010, 11:10 AM
We should all just log off and go do something else. Mostly because the forums are full of all of us just posting how many hours left and how excited we are. :D

It kills me inside that I have my first day of school tomorrow. SO. EXCITED! :D

Derkatwork
Aug 31, 2010, 11:29 AM

The defense rests. :D

deepdvd
Aug 31, 2010, 05:57 PM
Statistics on # of iOS devices, App Store sales, iPad sales, iPhone 4 sales

iPod touch 4:

I seriously doubt this. They aren't currently selling a 16GB 3rd gen, so why would they start producing them now?

sarmo187
Aug 31, 2010, 05:57 PM
18 hours, 2 minutes and 49 seconds until Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 10:00:00 AM !!! :D :D :D

dhlee528
Aug 31, 2010, 05:58 PM
I seriously doubt this. They aren't currently selling a 16GB 3rd gen, so why would they start producing them now?

it's like iphone, they didn't have 8gb iphone 3gs but they are selling now

SoraLimit
Aug 31, 2010, 05:59 PM

Before the iPhone 4, they weren't selling an 8 GB iPhone 3GS.

It's possible that the new iPod touch may have 16 GB or 8GB. It could go either way.

dball4
Aug 31, 2010, 10:14 PM
My Predictions:

Retina Screen:Given since they want to equalize the iOS market and the app store

Facetime Camera:given

5mp rear camera:Reason why, something tells me they want to go after the pocket cam market and this would hurt the sales from Flip cameras.

A4 processor:Keep up with the iPhone and the app store

No 3G:why would they do this because they already have one, it's called the iPhone

sarmo187
Aug 31, 2010, 10:17 PM
14 Hours ! :D

Peterson8765
Aug 31, 2010, 10:38 PM
13 Hours until we know the future of Apple's iPods.

AceFernalld
Aug 31, 2010, 11:49 PM

Keep in mind they weren't producing an 8GB 3GS either, before the iPhone 4. It doesn't take much to change. :)

AceFernalld
Aug 31, 2010, 11:51 PM
12 hours, guys! This is probably my last post from now until the event (I have school at 8AM tomorrow, FML) but let's all wish for awesome things. :p

Everyone come back afterwards and we can talk about what we accurately predicted, what we love and what we hate about the update!

Thanks so much for bringing this thread to over 100 replies! That's awesome! :D

~Austin

Djlild7hina
Sep 1, 2010, 12:07 AM
i'm hoping for a new nano and come on.... white iphone 4 release date announcement! haha and maybe a 128gb ipod touch... that's my wish list haha

sarmo187
Sep 1, 2010, 12:19 AM
12 hours, guys! This is probably my last post from now until the event (I have school at 8AM tomorrow, FML) but let's all wish for awesome things. :p

Everyone come back afterwards and we can talk about what we accurately predicted, what we love and what we hate about the update!

Thanks so much for bringing this thread to over 100 replies! That's awesome! :D

~Austin

ME TOO -_- WOW 12 hours.. and i have to wait another 2 hours after school to see the keynote :(

aalu91
Sep 1, 2010, 12:29 AM
This thread reminds me of inception...and its totally freaking me out. What if we are in a dream state and the conference is only 10 seconds away in reality but we are being tortured by being put in a dream state...wtf idk even know what i am talking about

Plasmolyze
Sep 1, 2010, 03:16 AM
That sucks I dont start school until September 20th. ;)
I also can not wait only a few more hours!!!:eek:

seong
Sep 1, 2010, 06:15 AM
God goodness gracious! Merlin's Beard!
If the iPod Touch 4G doesn't have Retina Display, A4 chip, Two cameras, 512 MB RAM, Better Battery Life, and Design change (no ****ing chrome back!), then I'm pretty sure Macrumors are going to be full of hatred for Apple, Brian Tong giving Bad Apple, Google news filled with critics and disappointment, etc etc. You know what happens.
Oh, and maybe iPod Touch 4 Hitler Parody?????:D

C'MON APPLE!!!! I'VE BEEN USING LISA AND MAC FROM THAT POINT ON! IT CAN'T TAKE MORE THAN 3 YEARS TO INCLUDE A CAMERA!

Ds92
Sep 1, 2010, 07:25 AM
I keep telling myself to lower my expectations but it doesn't seem to be working!

Derkatwork
Sep 1, 2010, 07:59 AM
So is it going to be crushing waves of cheers or the internet going ablaze again? Personally, I think I'm going to enjoy today since regardless of what is/isn't included, I still win. Go 1G users! We have made it a long time (in technology standards).

seong
Sep 1, 2010, 08:52 AM
YAY! GO 1G USERS!

Man, I've been with this device for quite a long time.
Thanks mate, and new iPod Touch 4G will ARRIVE!!!!!
less than 4 hours! I MADE IT! YOU MADE IT! WE MADE IT!

Derkatwork
Sep 1, 2010, 09:44 AM
YAY! GO 1G USERS!

I heard elsewhere that the ipod touch will not be available for sale for about a week. I thought that it was usually available on the same day as the reveal.

lukefinch
Sep 1, 2010, 09:50 AM
I heard elsewhere that the ipod touch will not be available for sale for about a week. I thought that it was usually available on the same day as the reveal.

It was in the past:confused:

mattk3650
Sep 1, 2010, 10:02 AM
YAY! GO 1G USERS!

A fellow 1G user. Apple is forcing us to upgrade because of our inadequete RAM. I'm getting a Droid X if they don't loose that chrome back (UGLY) and give me at least two of the other fancy features that that guy listed.

Peterson8765
Sep 1, 2010, 10:11 AM
Droid X's have an awesome feeling in the hand, I wish the new touch got a soft touch finish.

Derkatwork
Sep 1, 2010, 10:22 AM
Call me a fanboy, but I will stick with Apple. I know that Droid is a worthy competitor and they have impressive features too. And I know Apple does things that defy reason from time to time. There is just something about it that works for me. Also, I like the smaller screens more than the big ones. I saw someone yesterday with a touchscreen phone (not sure which one). The screen was massive. I like the how the touch sits in my hand, and in the end, that's all that matters.

lukefinch
Sep 1, 2010, 11:07 AM
The store is down... Only 53 minutes to go!;):D:o:):cool::rolleyes::apple:

Derkatwork
Sep 1, 2010, 11:13 AM
The store is down... Only 53 minutes to go!;):D:o:):cool::rolleyes::apple:

Two things.

1) Awesome multi smile effect. :D

2) After just getting off the phone with my local Apple store, according to what I was told (we don't know about any new products being announced at this time), is this their canned message? There is no way they could have a new product sitting in the back without knowing it. There are days where I curse their secrecy. Unfortunately, I'm aware that I'm playing right into their hands since the secrecy makes me even more interested.