Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

045610-printing_20100901.jpg

Apple has posted a dedicated page detailing the new features coming to the iPad in November. iOS 4.2 is the unifying release that finally brings the iPad and iPhone in feature sync. The iPad was originally launched with iOS 3.2 and has since fallen behind the iPhone and iPod touch's iOS in features.

Besides multi-tasking and folder organization, iOS 4.2 also brings some brand new features including:

- Printing: Print mail, photos, web pages, and more directly to a printer on a wireless network.
- AirPlay: Wirelessly stream videos, music, and photos from iPad to the new Apple TV, and stream music to AirPlay speakers or receivers, including AirPort Express.

The iOS 4.2 release will be be released for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch in November.

Article Link: Apple Details Features in iOS 4.2 for iPad

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
I wonder if the video streaming will work for all Quicktime video (like the dock output does now). I would love to wirelessly stream BBC iPlayer to the TV.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
The iPhone and iPod touch get it so the ipad will become more big iPod touch like. Should keep some features different like the phone on the iPhone then printing on the ipad

nos

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Leuven, Belgium
I hoped for more app icons per page, and more in the dock.
There is enough screen real estate available. Folders ask for more touch. ;)

MacbookAlum1536

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Did anyone else notice the mention of a find feature on 4.2 there or is that currently a feature of iOS?

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
The iPhone and iPod touch get it so the ipad will become more big iPod touch like. Should keep some features different like the phone on the iPhone then printing on the ipad

I agree, but I'm sure they'll be a few little differences. Also, I wonder if a new iPad will be out by then. Steve did kind of slip and say HDR photos on the iPad or something...

Even though it's obvious now that the next iPad will have Facetime.

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
Did anyone else notice the mention of a find feature on 4.2 there or is that currently a feature of iOS?

Finding a word in a webpage will be fantastic - I have had numerous occasions of wanting to search for text on my iPad and missing the Laptop.

I am sure that many will say that 4.2 is what the iPad should have been upon launch, however that's what you get for being an early adopter.

dz-015

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
*sigh* Still no To Do Items with MobileMe sync, then? Jesus Christ, Apple, I can't be the only person who wants this. How much longer do I have to wait???

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Multiple pages in Safari - stop reloading

How about leaving pages open in Safari instead of the program reloading each page again when over 3 pages!?

Or Tabs over spreadsheet design in Safari. Would make the experience more organic, less frustrating, and more like using the desktop versions. The iPhone can do it and so should the iPad.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Few more features ...

In addition to allowing multiple pages to remain open with more than 3 pages, couple of smaller features ought to be addressed.

• iTunes cover flow - again, the iPhone has it and so should the iPad, particularly with a much larger screen to appreciate the graphics

•*shuffle button in iTunes - should be predominant. Open a playlist or touch on an album and it should be there - the shuffle button. It's there for some music parts, but not the above mentioned

• information for each photo. Ghost the details at the bottom or top, same way the next or previous buttons illuminate. Date, time, location (I know there is the locations feature in photos, but the pad needs to connect to the net & load), would be a bit more interesting with some info added.

• <------- a small detail it may be, but this little dot in Notes on the iPhone is a handy icon when making lists, etc.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I hope the wireless printing works well. It was a nightmare to set up on my mac (with a canon pixma wireless printer) so I'm not that confident about it on the ipad.

mainly looking forward to folders to reduce the number and clutter on screens, so I can finally have most media items grouped together etc. That and printing (if it works) will do me. Don't really care about multitasking.

Airplay *to* the ipad would be way more useful for most people I'd think. we have plex 9 now and air video, but a solution that supports apple DRM content for digital copy and purchases would be great. The ipad is a limited storage device, so surely you'd have all your content on a computer in the house already - the large screen is perfect for streaming to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.