Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad City Court

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Madison
Apple Details Features in iOS 4.2 for iPad

As much as I want a new iPad I am going to wait for 2nd gen to come out, where we will see many new features. :) I'm glad Apple worked out a way to print through a simple software update, but I don't know why the ability to print was not included in the original release. Nice device for college students to read texts without having to carry 40 to 50 lbs of books all day.

Stelph

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
I wonder if the video streaming will work for all Quicktime video (like the dock output does now). I would love to wirelessly stream BBC iPlayer to the TV.

I have the same question, it will be interesting to see what you will be able to stream to the Apple TV from the iPhone/iPad because the iPlayer app, TVCatchup app would all be great to stream.

Also how about videos stored on dropbox ect? Will be interesting to test these out

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
As much as I want a new iPad I am going to wait for 2nd gen to come out, where we will see many new features. :) I'm glad Apple worked out a way to print through a simple software update, but I don't know why the ability to print was not included in the original release. Nice device for college students to read texts without having to carry 40 to 50 lbs of books all day.

With a finite number of resources to code, printing was probably not their number 1 priority. Why is it so hard for people to understand this concept. I'm sick and tired of hearing people complaint that Apple product A doesn't have XYZ features. Give it time people.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
That's Good news, but Apple is slacking on there iWork for iPad Apps. Looks like we won't see any new updates until next year for that.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
snip I'm sick and tired of hearing people complaint that Apple product A doesn't have XYZ features. Give it time people.

This is a personal issue. People can express whatever they want within the rules of the forum. If you really are that sick and tired, create your own internet and invite only people who think like you.

On another note, I hope the multitasking works well.

Coukos34

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
I agree, but I'm sure they'll be a few little differences. Also, I wonder if a new iPad will be out by then. Steve did kind of slip and say HDR photos on the iPad or something...

Even though it's obvious now that the next iPad will have Facetime.

Since HDR is really just a processing effect, I think that this is not a feature that actually requires a camera...They probably will add it so that you can edit photos you have taken from another source.

mjt2810

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
London, UK
You can....

I've always wondered why u couldn't stream your iTunes library music to your idevice.

... if you have a NAS drive with iTunes server running, which is attached to your router.

I use an app called PlugPlayer that connects straight to the NAS via WiFi without the need for my MBP running iTunes.

It's great, and now that AirPlay can stream to my Airport Express units around the house, even less need to switch on the MBP.

Great stuff! :D

Zorrow

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2010
Since HDR is really just a processing effect, I think that this is not a feature that actually requires a camera...They probably will add it so that you can edit photos you have taken from another source.

Humm... If I recall correctly, the process involve taking 3 picture, 1 regular, 1 under exposed and 1 over exposed and the they mix the 3. Or I didn't understand properly (I am not a photo expert...)

If this is true, the Ipad would need a camera or a picture that has been taken with HDR and inported into the iPad.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I agree, but I'm sure they'll be a few little differences. Also, I wonder if a new iPad will be out by then. Steve did kind of slip and say HDR photos on the iPad or something...

There are a couple of HDR apps for the iPhone that allow you to combine pictures that are already in your photo library. I imagine this is how it will work with the iOS 4.1 built-in HDR feature, and therefore it would work with photos stored on first-generation iPads.

That's not to say that the second-generation iPad won't have a camera — like you, I'm sure it will. But I doubt Apple will release it before the holidays.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
In addition to allowing multiple pages to remain open with more than 3 pages, couple of smaller features ought to be addressed.

• iTunes cover flow - again, the iPhone has it and so should the iPad, particularly with a much larger screen to appreciate the graphics

•*shuffle button in iTunes - should be predominant. Open a playlist or touch on an album and it should be there - the shuffle button. It's there for some music parts, but not the above mentioned

• information for each photo. Ghost the details at the bottom or top, same way the next or previous buttons illuminate. Date, time, location (I know there is the locations feature in photos, but the pad needs to connect to the net & load), would be a bit more interesting with some info added.

• <------- a small detail it may be, but this little dot in Notes on the iPhone is a handy icon when making lists, etc.

The whole way that iPod.app works is flawed IMHO. It seems like Apple punted on it and made it just a big version of the app on the iPhone, without taking advantage of the extra screen area.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I'd be willing to put money on that fact that it won't!

Hummm.... not so sure about that... competition is heating up and it would be almost a year. Plus Apple does have a habit of updates in this time frame, so it would make sense that 4.2 would coincide with an iPad 2.0 update too. I would think a simple camera and USB connection would be in order.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Hummm.... not so sure about that... competition is heating up and it would be almost a year. Plus Apple does have a habit of updates in this time frame, so it would make sense that 4.2 would coincide with an iPad 2.0 update too. I would think a simple camera and USB connection would be in order.

I believe there'd be a big Keynote on it if another iPad was going to be released. One of their new hit products.... I doubt they'd just 'release' it.
But hey you never know, it's Apple! :apple:

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Did anyone else notice the mention of a find feature on 4.2 there or is that currently a feature of iOS?

How about leaving pages open in Safari instead of the program reloading each page again when over 3 pages!?

Or Tabs over spreadsheet design in Safari. Would make the experience more organic, less frustrating, and more like using the desktop versions. The iPhone can do it and so should the iPad.

Atomic Browser already does this stuff.... and more, including full screen mode and swipe to navigate (and other multitouch gestures).

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008

You're in a thread talking about wireless printing - what possible use can there be for a USB port? And where is the iPad expected to get the drivers for all the hardware you want to plug into it?

Gravedrinker

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
So about that streaming, will I be able to stream my itunes library to my iPod Touch? Or is it again some crippled that-way-but-not-this-way thing?

Also unrelated question: Is it likely that we see a new iweb or other significant updates to Apple programs this year, or where the rumors I read about the fall music event, and since it didn't turn up there nobody has a rumor anymore?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Competition is not "heating up".

I really don't think we'll see an iPad refresh until a year is up, no matter how much you want one sooner. Th iPad is still selling well- they've just caught their supply up to demand (ships in 24 hours). I think Apple will keep all of their iDevices as annual updates.

JS77

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Apple will definitely be gearing up for an iPad 2.0 release sometime soon... if not this year, then almost certainly January 2011.

iPad 2.0 with 512mb Ram , Front and Rear Facing Camera for taking pictures and FaceTime, and possibly the rumored 7" version (Since the competitors all seem to be releasing around the 7" screen size).

Having played around with my friends iPad, I love it... but I'm prepared to wait until Revision B ;)

notromeel

macrumors regular
May 19, 2009
Baltimore, MD
iPad needs more

Printing and folders... Woopty do.

While I agree when the iPad was released to keep a similar UI was the best decision, I think the time has come to step it up. The same iPhone UI and layout is NOT appropriate or the best usage of iPad's almost 10" screen. It's getting old and I feel like this layout is made for senior citizens. From the weird spacing with the unlock screen, to all the Apps spread out.

What about something 3D? What about widgets? What about something feature rich like bumptop? (I'm not saying this solution, but this is an example of something RICH)

Interactive. Engaging. Feature rich.

I've had it since the day it came out... and I'm bored, man. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.