Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Alright, so if I were to use an iMac G5 (second to last revision, just before they got the iSight camera built in) as a main/secondary PC (Macbook/Air would be the other) how long does it have left?

I mean, it can only go to Leopard so how soon until Apple stops updating iTunes etc. for it. Basically I want to have a laptop as my main computer but I want an always-on computer for Apple TV etc. And I may have a chance to scoop an iMac up for nothing.

I don't speed is a huge deal since I just browse the web/email/iTunes anyway. Thoughts?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
A G5 imac'll be great for what you need! Leopard is the latest OS that works on it, but I'd imagine it would be some time before they stopped iTunes updates for it. And even if they do, you'll be fine with the current version of iTunes, won't you? :)

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I would imagine iTunes and Safari support for PowerPC will continue for some time. Probably until 10.8 comes out as Apple is still doing a good job at supporting Tiger even today.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I would imagine iTunes and Safari support for PowerPC will continue for some time. Probably until 10.8 comes out as Apple is still doing a good job at supporting Tiger even today.

When Lion comes out I think they will ditch all support for Tiger with iTunes. But they will continue supporting Leopard for ages, since it is very similar to Snow Leopard - their current OS.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
thats what they did with SL iirc, dropped support for 10.3.

Makes sense. No one uses Panther anymmore. Around 90% of Mac users use Snow Leopard or Leopard, and the remaining 10% use Tiger. When devs make modern apps, there is no point in making it support OS's earlier than Tiger. Maybe even just Leopard and up if supporting Tiger is too much trouble.....

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Makes sense. No one uses Panther anymmore. Around 90% of Mac users use Snow Leopard or Leopard, and the remaining 10% use Tiger. When devs make modern apps, there is no point in making it support OS's earlier than Tiger. Maybe even just Leopard and up if supporting Tiger is too much trouble.....
yeh totally agreed there, however i do like that certain coders still code for Tiger, Panther etc because quite often i will want my iMac G3 to work in a certain way, blaablaa. i guess they are legacy apps though.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
yeh totally agreed there, however i do like that certain coders still code for Tiger, Panther etc because quite often i will want my iMac G3 to work in a certain way, blaablaa. i guess they are legacy apps though.

Yes I'd like it if most apps still supported Tiger, as it is quite widely used. 10% isn't that much... but hey! Its 10% of the market your missing out on if you don't bother making your apps run on Tiger...

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I'm using OS9 right now!

BTW, isn't OS8 pretty much the same as OS9?
:eek:

BLASHPEMY!!! IVE NEVER HEARD ANYTHING SO INCORRECT AND RUDE!!!! ;) :rolleyes:

nah, OS9 was the first to truely implement multitasking, OS8 and OS7 were only "fake" in the sense that the idle apps were halted in computations - much the same as iOS HAHA.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
:eek:

BLASHPEMY!!! IVE NEVER HEARD ANYTHING SO INCORRECT AND RUDE!!!! ;) :rolleyes:

nah, OS9 was the first to truely implement multitasking, OS8 and OS7 were only "fake" in the sense that the idle apps were halted in computations - much the same as iOS HAHA.

What, so if say, you were on Macrumours on OS8, and you had an app/game loading in the backround... would it pause till you switched to that app?!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
What, so if say, you were on Macrumours on OS8, and you had an app/game loading in the backround... would it pause till you switched to that app?!
yes i believe so, never actually tried it - but thats what ive read :)

i dont think the main OS supported a feature known as forking, so each app was put into a hold state. or maybe OS8 was the first, im getting confused - in anycase its one of them haa

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
yes i believe so, never actually tried it - but thats what ive read :)

i dont think the main OS supported a feature known as forking, so each app was put into a hold state. or maybe OS8 was the first, im getting confused - in anycase its one of them haa

Well thank god I've got OS9 on my iBook then! As I'm always downloading stuff, then installing/unzipping it in the backround while I'm on the net. Plus I play games while downloads are in progress etc...

It'd be hell if something paused when I went onto another app!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Well thank god I've got OS9 on my iBook then! As I'm always downloading stuff, then installing/unzipping it in the backround while I'm on the net. Plus I play games while downloads are in progress etc...

It'd be hell if something paused when I went onto another app!
oh wow yes that would be quite annoying! is that a clamshell ibook? if so - JEALOUS!

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Thanks for the input (initially anyway ;)) Can you add a small SSD in old G5 units? Most of the music/pics etc will be on a network drive anyway so a cheap way to boost performance on the old systems would be a reasonably priced SSD no?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Thanks for the input (initially anyway ;)) Can you add a small SSD in old G5 units? Most of the music/pics etc will be on a network drive anyway so a cheap way to boost performance on the old systems would be a reasonably priced SSD no?
i thikn that will work fine, as long as the iMac uses SATA power and data cables :)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

Yes, I suppose it would. The older iMacs take 3.5 inch hard drives I would imagine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.