Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

091411-20101124_082045_ssjm1125hp90.jpg
Late last month, it was revealed that Apple had purchased HP's 98-acre campus in Cupertino, California, located across the street from a 50-acre parcel Apple had purchased in 2006 and just a few blocks from its main campus on Infinite Loop. As picked up by MacStories, Spanish business newspaper El Economista is now reporting [Google translation] that acclaimed British architect Norman Foster has been selected to design the new campus.

According to the report, environmental issues are being included as a key aspect of the campus design, with all roads reportedly being placed underground to allow for a maximum amount of open green space on the campus. The design will reportedly also incorporate the latest in building materials and renewable energy capabilities.

In designing Apple's campus, Foster is reportedly drawing on his experience with Masdar City, a new sustainable community under development in Abu Dhabi designed to house up to 50,000 people in a car-free, zero-carbon environment powered entirely by renewable energy sources.

Foster, working with his firm Foster + Partners, is among the most highly-recognized architects in the world, having been awarded the premiere Pritzker Prize for architecture in 1999 and twice won Britain's Stirling Prize. Among Foster's most well-known works are the Millennium Bridge and 30 St Mary Axe ("The Gherkin") in London, Hearst Tower in New York City, and his reconstruction of the Reichstag in Berlin, including the addition of a glass dome offering a panoramic view of the city.

Article Link: Norman Foster to Design Apple's New Cupertino Campus?

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Hmmm... underground roads in California. Good thing they don't have earthquakes out there. ;)

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I saw something about the Abu Dhabi city on one of those construction shows. It was very interesting. It will cost a few bucks....

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
It's being based on Masdar, in Abu Dhabi, I wonder if it is going to achieve being emission-less as well.

This is a big step for corporate adoption of sustainable business practices.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Long term my guess is that the 'old' Apple campus will transition to offices for just executives, lawyers, and marketing people.

The new space will take on the engineers, designers, and programers.

This reminds me of the company I work at 20 years ago. We had an office that combined HQ with a call center. As they grew, they eventually built a new building an hour south of here and moved the phone center and other "real work" jobs down there while the HQ building used up all their new space for new executives and staff-support type departments.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The nickname will now be “Pruneridge” instead of “Infinite Loop.” I like it!

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
And how much carbon is produced by building this then..?

The Green Haze.

Just like all those fools thinking that buying new, green cars actually helps.

Cameron Hood

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Yikes!

I hope it's not a gigantic phallic 50's bejewelled rocket-ship like his London tower is...

http://tinyurl.com/28umcxy

It might be innovative and all that, but, I'm sorry, it is just plain butt-ugly. Looks like it was designed by a 10 year old in 1958 who was struggling with gender issues.

If Liberace had a skyscraper, this would be it.

Frightened,
Cameron

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004

The Green Haze.

Beats doing nothing.

I don't understand how people can be so proud of doing nothing, as though inaction is an achievement.

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
I hope it's not a gigantic phallic 50's bejewelled rocket-ship like his London tower is...

It might be innovative and all that, but, I'm sorry, it is just plain butt-ugly. Looks like it was designed by a 10 year old in 1958 who was struggling with gender issues.

Frightened,
Cameron

It's known as 'the gherkin' by the residents of London. From what I hear they're fond of it but then again they don't have as many hangups as some folks

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco

Frightened,
Cameron

I have seen this building in person many times. It is stunning!

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
Foster's work is awesome. Don't forget the HSBC Bank in Hong Kong...although it's not a recent work and isn't up to his current standards...it looks way cool.

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK

Frightened,
Cameron

Cameron, Don't rage against the world because you are fighting your inner turmoil. Come out of the closet and be proud of your sexuality. Nobody these days will hold it against you. Be free to enjoy your collection of ABBA and musical talent shows. Be frightened no more ;)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

The Green Haze.

I'm sure apple will do absolutely nothing to offset the carbon from construction. :rolleyes:

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007

Ooookay. Maybe this says more about you than the design of the building.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
The skyscrapers are a red herring. If you want to see the kind of thing Norman Foster might do for Apple, take a look at the Mclaren Technology Centre.

Edit - skip to 4:55 in that video and you suddenly hear exactly why Foster is such a good match for Apple. They could almost be talking about Steve Jobs rather than Ron Dennis.

Last edited:

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Why are they stopping?

They should just buy Valco ('scuse me, Cupertino Square) and pave that too. In the pantheon of dead malls, Valco is second only to Sunnyvale Town Center.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
The ultimate palace, funded by the Apple Tax we've paid to own Apple products.

I can imagine the uproar if this was Microsoft instead of Apple.

No worries, Gates is busy giving back, while Steve builds a monument to further bolster his ego.

All hail the Supreme Leader... :)

Last edited:

Durendal

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
I forsee a lot of pressed hams and fruit baskets flying back and forth between the Apple and HP campuses...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.