Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Durendal

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
The ultimate palace, funded by the Apple Tax we've paid to own Apple products.

I can imagine the uproar if this was Miscroft instead of Apple.

No worries, Gates is busy giving back, while Steve builds a monument to further bolster his ego.

All hail the Supreme Leader... :)
Oh noes! A company with tons of money that makes "trendy" products is building a fancy new campus! HOW DARE THEY SPEND THEIR MONEY??

And did you forget that Gates built a 40+ million dollar house? And that he's funding his foundation with his OWN money, not Microsoft's? And that nobody would give a crap if MS decided to expand their corporate HQ with some nifty new buildings?

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
My First Negative

This is my first negative at Macrumors. It is now apparent what Apple wants to do with all of its cash: instead of returning it as a dividend to shareholders, make a palacial headquarters for its employees.

I guess they deserve it...now if I could only get my iPhone to stop dropping calls...

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Oh noes! A company with tons of money that makes "trendy" products is building a fancy new campus! HOW DARE THEY SPEND THEIR MONEY??

And did you forget that Gates built a 40+ million dollar house? And that he's funding his foundation with his OWN money, not Microsoft's? And that nobody would give a crap if MS decided to expand their corporate HQ with some nifty new buildings?

Nice try...

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

I can imagine the uproar if this was Miscroft instead of Apple.

No worries, Gates is busy giving back, while Steve builds a monument to further bolster his ego.

Why would there be an uproar if MS expanded to the point that it couldn't fit in its HQ anymore?

You realize that Apples HQ is nearly 20 years old right? I'm surprised they haven't been forced to move earlier given the crazy rate Apple has expanded in the last decade.

blahblah100

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009

I can imagine the uproar if this was Microsoft instead of Apple.

Um, Microsoft just finished a major build out at their headquarters (I believe the costs were close to a billion). Their was no uproar, to my knowledge.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Actually, in this case, it doesn't. Buying a green car is less green than not buying a car at all (i.e. doing nothing).

I'm not talking about cars, it was related to this building and how sustainable the design will be.

I refuse to treat individual effort as though it is a game of all or nothing.

Buying an SUV is more helpful than buying a Bentley. Buying a sedan is more responsible than buying an SUV. Buying a hybrid sedan is more responsible than buying just a regular sedan. Riding public transportation helps more than a hybrid and cycling is even better because it's healthy and low impact.

I'm not going to fault people because they haven't moved into a 350sqft apartment and don't ride a bicycle everywhere. Doing something helps far more than doing nothing at all.

At the same time, the people I find most annoying are the ones who do nothing at all while criticize others for doing anything at all.

Durendal

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
There's nothing to debate, Steve gets what Steve wants. The dream of every three year old child.
That's because Steve took a company that was bleeding money and turned into a ridiculously successful enterprise making monstrous boatloads of cash. And I somehow doubt that Steve is going to be the only one on this new campus.

But by all means, continue crying that a company with tons of cash is actually going to spend it on a new corporate HQ as they are outgrowing their old one.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Apple I

So Jobs want to tear down the building where Woz got the parts and maybe used a lab bench to design what became the Apple I?

And what will become of the "historic" barn on the property?

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Watch our for the big one

Fine, should be pretty... as long as this Brit understands something about earthquakes. Particularly with underground roads.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
So Jobs want to tear down the building where Woz got the parts and maybe used a lab bench to design what became the Apple I?

That would require Steve Jobs to tear down the garage of his parents' house.

blahblah100

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
That's because Steve took a company that was bleeding money and turned into a ridiculously successful enterprise making monstrous boatloads of cash. And I somehow doubt that Steve is going to be the only one on this new campus.

But by all means, continue crying that a company with tons of cash is actually going to spend it on a new corporate HQ as they are outgrowing their old one.

Something to consider is what effect this has on the employees.

No employee (at that level) wants to work in a cramped space that is outdated. Given the competition and poaching in the area, it might have the side benefit of giving top employees a really nice place to work, thus increasing morale and productivity.

It's Apple's money, if you don't like the way they are spending quit buying their products, and if you are a shareholder, then sell your stock (but let's be honest, people on this forum like to give the image of being a major shareholder, I highly doubt that Apple cares if you sell your 18 shares of stock).

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
There's nothing to debate, Steve gets what Steve wants. The dream of every three year old child.

did Jobs initiate the acquisition of land and new building? I'm not saying that he didn't, but I just found no mention of Jobs in the article... I thought it was Apple was just growing out of space in it's old HQ, and needed to make a new campus.

P.

Cameron Hood

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Come on, now....

It's known as 'the gherkin' by the residents of London. From what I hear they're fond of it but then again they don't have as many hangups as some folks

I have seen this building in person many times. It is stunning!

Cameron, Don't rage against the world because you are fighting your inner turmoil. Come out of the closet and be proud of your sexuality. Nobody these days will hold it against you. Be free to enjoy your collection of ABBA and musical talent shows. Be frightened no more ;)

Ooookay. Maybe this says more about you than the design of the building.

it looks like a stained-glass ****-plug designed with a spyrograph. It's absolutely hideous.

Cheers,
Cameron

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
This is my first negative at Macrumors. It is now apparent what Apple wants to do with all of its cash: instead of returning it as a dividend to shareholders, make a palacial headquarters for its employees.

So you'd rather they run out of space to hire/retain key employees, lose them all to google/facebook/startupx, and have the stock go back down to the days when Apple wasn't touted by the press as being a year ahead of everybody else?

Plus, maybe they'll have room now to put in their own full-sized wind tunnel, so in addition to their anechoic chambers, they can create a really fast new antenna design that gets them even more free publicity...

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
Hmmm... underground roads in California. Good thing they don't have earthquakes out there. ;)

Exactly! hey i'm going to drive underground to work and hope the campus doesn't crush me. maybe i'll be home later, maybe i won't. :apple:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So you'd rather they run out of space to hire/retain key employees, lose them all to google/facebook/startupx, and have the stock go back down to the days when Apple wasn't touted by the press as being a year ahead of everybody else?

Many posters here would love that. :mad:

More seriously, I think Apple is a company and Steve Jobs is a CEO who doesn't like to waste money. So I think the result would be, if the rumors are true, something that is very beautiful, and at the same time very useful, and worth every penny. And it would have to meet some pretty high standards in both respects. If you look at the bigger Apple Stores, Apple has created some that are really beautiful while being really practical at the same time.

To the guy who thinks Steve Jobs wants to set himself a monument: Steve Jobs has plenty of monuments. They are called "Apple II", "Next Cube", "Macintosh", "Mac OS X", "iPod", "iPhone" and "iPad".

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.