PDA

View Full Version : 'Death Hug': Verizon iPhone Demonstrates Antenna Attenuation Issues

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Feb 8, 2011, 04:11 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/08/death-hug-verizon-iphone-demonstrates-antenna-attenuation-issues/)

With the GSM version of the iPhone having received considerable attention for issues with loss of cellular signal when held in a "death grip" position, observers have been interested to see whether a similar issue affects the Verizon iPhone with its modified antenna design.

iLounge reports (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/verizon-iphone-4-antenna-problems-persist-video/) that not only has it been able to demonstrate loss of cellular signal strength with the same "death grip", but it has also been able to hamper Wi-Fi reception by subjecting the device to a grip dubbed the "death hug".As seen in this Verizon iPhone 4 antenna attenuation video, the CDMA iPhone 4 can still lose substantial cellular signal strength when held in the prior "death grip" position, as well as Wi-Fi signal when held in a different position, in each case noticeably slowing or completely stalling the reception of data.

The problem with Wi-Fi reception appears when the device is held snugly in landscape orientation with two hands. Prior to the Verizon iPhone 4's launch, sources told iLounge to be on the lookout for the issue, which was being referred to as the 'death hug."

It's not clear if such a "death hug" is of any practical concern.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs famously referred to the antenna problems with the original iPhone 4 as a "non issue", telling a customer to simply "avoid holding it in that way".

All phones do suffer from some attenuation when gripped tightly in certain ways, a phenomenon caused by the human body's natural ability to absorb signals in the range used for cellular and wireless networks. Critics of the iPhone 4, however, argued that the effect was seen by some simply by bridging the iPhone 4's antenna with your hand. The video makes no effort to see if this antenna bridging remains a factor on the Verizon iPhone 4.

Article Link: 'Death Hug': Verizon iPhone Demonstrates Antenna Attenuation Issues (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/08/death-hug-verizon-iphone-demonstrates-antenna-attenuation-issues/)

Vantage Point
Feb 8, 2011, 04:15 PM
No iPhone yet but I think I'll stick with AT&T when I get one. rollover minutes (better value) and talking and surfing at the same time seem worth it.

Ballis
Feb 8, 2011, 04:15 PM
here we go again...

gkarris
Feb 8, 2011, 04:16 PM
Free bumpers for EVERYONE!!!

:p

7o7munoz7o7
Feb 8, 2011, 04:17 PM
UGH!!!! IM sooooooooooooooooooooooo SICK of seeing that CRAP.....we ALL know that phone will do it....you arent cool because you say some big a$$ words to describe what happens when we ALL know and have ALL seen it with a bunch of phones NOT just the iPhone....so **** with this already!!! :mad:

Small White Car
Feb 8, 2011, 04:18 PM
Ugh.

Same phone design works similarly to other phones of same design.

People are shocked? Surprised?

It's time to move on...everyone should know about this by now.

shadowbird423
Oh lord, here we go again...

Dandrews524
i am trying very hard to replicate these results with my verizon iphone and all i lose is one bar, if that. when i had an at&t iphone, all i had to do was THINK about holding it wrong and it would drop to one or no bars. dont be too swayed by this anti-verizon propaganda, i think your local coverage might have something to do with it

coolaaron88
Time to dig into the bumper budget again eh?

xD

jeffy.dee-lux
Everything is amazing and nobody's happy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk)

Moyank24
Feb 8, 2011, 04:19 PM
Welcome back June/July 2010.

Oh, how I missed you.

deputy_doofy
iLounge must need some hits. Hasn't it been proven that all phones do this to some extent? Or are we ignoring signal degradation when it happens to other phones?

gkarris
Ugh.

ha, ha...

How are the screen colors? :eek:

;)

jtalbert
Come on! Who holds their phone like that in the first place? Sure if you let your hand have sex with your phone by totally molesting it, you will have signal issues. I have been using an iPhone 4 since the day it came out, and I have never encountered anttenaegate...

chris617
Feb 8, 2011, 04:20 PM
I know we all love our iPhones, but seriously here... just hug and squeeze the thing a little less vigorously and you won't lose any signal. Despite Apple's engineering prowess, they can't defy physics and make antennas that don't suffer attenuation when "death gripped". Neither can Nokia, Motorola, LG, Siemens, etc.

thetaylor13
Feb 8, 2011, 04:20 PM
this she-ite has officially become annoying.....again

Merthyrboy
Feb 8, 2011, 04:21 PM
It doesn't sound at all threatening called the death hug. I wonder if it drops bars inside a lead cage?

xnu
Feb 8, 2011, 04:21 PM
"Death Hug".... funny. I still think Steve Jobs is right, non-issue. Only the most lonely of people hug their phone. Ok, I have done it once or twice, but still not a issue.

tigress666
Feb 8, 2011, 04:22 PM
*insert eye roll here*

Yeah... you cover up an antenna, it's going to lose effectiveness... gee duh!

You want a better phone design that helps alleviate that? Bring back the phones that had antennas that stick up above the phone where you wouldn't be holding it. You want your nifty small phones that don't have antennas that stick out... well, you'll have to worry about where you hold it might cover up the antenna.

Even my old Nokia phone had in its manual "do not cover this area" on the area that had the antenna. I think that's Apple's biggest mistake. If they just put that in the user's manual, people would just take it for granted it was normal operation and quit raising a stink over something that Jobs had it right, "don't hold it like that!" The only thing wrong he did was forget that he's PR for his company so he can't be so blunt about it. But he had a point!

goinskiing
I'm surprised (well perhaps not really) that people are surprised about this. Wow.

lifeinhd
Next we'll have the "death walk," where if you stand on top of your iPhone, it breaks :eek:

JAT
Feb 8, 2011, 04:23 PM
Oh, crap. And I'll bet if you smash it on the ground, the glass breaks, too.

WillJS
Nobody holds the phone with that exaggeration of a death grip. His palm covers a fourth of the screen! Yes, it has an antenna issue, we've known that for a while now. Re-position your grip on the phone and ! suddenly it's issue free! :rolleyes:

r2fa3l
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

don't hug it like that.

camophone
There is no issue. Mine is working perfectly and my wifi connection is sooo much better then when I had my Droid on the same wifi network. I'm EXTREMELY happy.

deputy_doofy
Feb 8, 2011, 04:24 PM
Next we'll have the "death walk," where if you stand on top of your iPhone, it breaks :eek:

You selling that PB G5 by chance? :p

NoExpectations
Feb 8, 2011, 04:25 PM
Verizon....there goes your Dropped Call advantage. I guess T-Mobile or Sprint can claim that going forward.

baryon
Well if I touch the antenna of my 2nd Generation iPod Touch even just lightly, the WiFi connection instantly drops. I have to be careful not to touch the black antenna part at the back. I think it's a normal thing, the same way, you don't put your finger in front of the camera lens when taking a photo, and you don't put your finger on the microphone when you're on the phone. Sometimes you have to be careful to avoid these, but that's just the way it is I guess.

Jay42
Guess what? I just found out my new Verizon iPhone 4 loses signal when you encase it in cement!! Who wants to join my class action suit?

Menge
Feb 8, 2011, 04:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Gosh! People expected this one to have absolutely no attenuation? Any radio is going to have attenuation when you wrap it in your sweet, sweet flesh.

arn
Hmm....

The AT&T iPhone 4 had two separate "issues".

1. Death Grip -> happens on every phone.

2. Bridging the antenna, but not holding it too tight -> this affected some locations and people disproportionately.

I'm disappointed the video didn't address #2. Most people will admit that #1 will cause problems on every phone. The #2 was the main issue that got clouded by #1, imo.

arn

NoExpectations
Now where did I put my iGlove? :D

lifeinhd
Verizon....there goes your Dropped Call advantage. I guess T-Mobile or Sprint can claim that going forward.

When the PHONE's at fault, not the NETWORK? You can put the phone on a network where it's the only phone, and if you hold it wrong, it'll still drop the call.

-.-"

ComicJ27
Feb 8, 2011, 04:27 PM
Shut the *uck up already with the "death grip" whining. So if you hold it in your hand like you're trying to crush it, it might not get amazing service. NOBODY holds it like that. Did you know if you squeeze your hands around somebody's neck, they don't talk the way they usually do? BECAUSE THAT'S NOT THE NORM. I hope he sends you a free bumper with a steaming hot dump in the box.

slicecom
Where's all the people who were calling me and others naive idiots for believing Apple changed the antenna because of the different requirements of CDMA and not because of the attenuation issue?

pwned.

New-Muadib
Look, I love ilounge.com but come on - who holds their phone like that? I've had a iphone 4 since Sept here in greece and have never had a single dropped call or signal issues. I'm sure if I was to wrap it in tin-foil and put it under water, something might happen. It's a phone - treat it as such and learn how to use it.

devwild
His first death grip wasn't the classic death grip at all, which just involves shorting the gaps on the lower part of the phone with your fingers, even if your hand isn't around the phone. He firmly and closely gripped the entire phone with his hand... That'll weaken the signal (especially since he had low reception to begin with - 3 bars is pretty weak in practice) even on my old plastic LG dumphone, not to mention my current phone - the Droid. Same for wifi - every PDA I have owned won't get a reliable signal if you cup the whole thing.

This is nowhere near a demonstration of the concerns with the AT&T version, which were somewhat overblown to begin with.

ravensfan55
Feb 8, 2011, 04:28 PM
Preinstalled feature at the request of Verizon so users can blame Apple if VZW's network gets overloaded.

lifeinhd
Feb 8, 2011, 04:29 PM
Hmm....

I'm not so sure. I have a Droid Eris, the same one Apple used in their video to cover up their antenna issues, and try as I might, I cannot get it to drop more than one bar. Even when I "hug" the phone, covering everything except a little strip at the top of the screen so I can see the signal, I only drop a bar.

...Other than that though, the phone's crap. But don't say it happens on every phone.

Dandrews524
Feb 8, 2011, 04:30 PM
now that i have my iphone and it works perfectly fine with no issues whatsoever, i couldn't care less about this site or what anyone on it has to say. thanks for getting me through the last month of anticipation guys, take it easy.

WiiDSmoker
Feb 8, 2011, 04:31 PM
Say what you want, but the only way my iPhone 4 behaves properly with signal strength is when wearing a case. I despise having cases on phones at all since I baby all my gadgets, but I'm forced to wear one with the iPhone 4. I've owned 3G/3GS and never have I had these problems. And before you say anything else, I haven't moved. I haven't changed jobs. Everything else is exactly the same except for the different phone.

Prof.
Who the hell holds their cell phone like that?! If you hold it like that you're an idiot.

ArtOfWarfare
The fact that it took this a few days to surface suggests to me that this seriously is a non-issue. People would instantly have been on the lookout for it after all the publicity the GSM iPhone 4 received for it.

I've noticed that my iPhone 3GS similarly will lose signal when I hold it in either of the described "death hug" or "death grip" positions. I'm thankful for knowing the positions so that I can hold it differently and have my internet connection resume, as otherwise I'd probably just be pissed off that my phone is so slow.

Possibly Apple should add a message when your phone signal begins to drop along the lines of "You're holding it wrong."

Or maybe it should just have a mild taser built in so it can shock you when you hold it wrong.

chrmjenkins
Feb 8, 2011, 04:32 PM
Hmm....

The AT&T iPhone 4 had two separate "issues".

2. Bridging the antenna, but not holding it too tight -> this affected some locations and people disproportionately.

I'm disappointed the video didn't address #2. Most people will admit that #1 will cause problems on every phone. The #2 was the main issue that got clouded by #1, imo.

arn

Don't worry, we'll meet back here promptly in 4 months to have an anguish circle jerk over the iphone 5 dropping signal when submerged in water.

ghostlyorb
haha. I feel bad for the person from engadget who said they couldn't recreate the effect.

anberlinairlift
This is beyond ridiculous. My phone is working just fine, in every way possible. I'm tired of seeing this crap, MacRumors should be ashamed of rehashing the same b.s. over and over again.

Yamcha
I think the reason we are seeing this issue is because in the video his thumb is covering up that opening.. Could potentially be an issue to some people.. But at this point I mean its to be expected, all phones have an issue with this, maybe they may not be as bad as the iPhone 4, but I think its just a design flaw, and hopefully in the future Apple will have it officially resolved.. But either way reception is going to be an issue, it is a phone after all

iStudentUK
Feb 8, 2011, 04:33 PM

You're hugging it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone

-------------

Surely this can't be happening again, can it?!

notabadname
Feb 8, 2011, 04:33 PM
here we go again...

+1

Please make it stop . . .

lev312
Feb 8, 2011, 04:34 PM
I haven't used a cdma Iphone 4, but after dealing with my Att Iphone 4 its more of just a death touch then grip. The signal goes way down when something barely touches and bridges the two antenna sections on the bottom left, even just the touch of the side of a finger, but it doesn't have anything to do with a strong grip. Makes me wonder where that term came from.

rpc33
No one holds their phone or squeezes it like that anyway. If you walk around squeezing it like that in the video than you got problems.

axual
I just put the death grip on an old Samsung, run of the mill cell phone and guess what ... SIGNAL DROP.

This is all a bunch of nonsense ... a waste of time. If you don't want attenuation problems with your phone, go stand under a cell tower and talk. There are more important things to talk about than this.

pmonahan
Feb 8, 2011, 04:35 PM
Who the hell is going to hold a phone like that ?

Just tested iLounge.com against other web sites and it's a painfully slow server. Almost 7 times slower than other sites tested. Sometimes their server times out, so maybe they should check THAT out and make a video about it.

Interesting too that they make a "hit piece" and then disable comments on YouTube.

vincenz
I'd like to see someone play a game like that in landscape mode. Unless you're being strapped to a flying 747, you shouldn't be holding the phone like that...

slicecom
I'm not so sure. I have a Droid Eris, the same one Apple used in their video to cover up their antenna issues, and try as I might, I cannot get it to drop more than one bar. Even when I "hug" the phone, covering everything except a little strip at the top of the screen so I can see the signal, I only drop a bar.

...Other than that though, the phone's crap. But don't say it happens on every phone.

It all depends on the strength level. Bars are not a unit of measurement, and every phone displays them differently. You're obviously in an area of good signal strength. If you take your phone to an area that has lower strength, but still enough to show full bars, then do the "hug" test, it will drop more than one bar.

NoExpectations
Feb 8, 2011, 04:36 PM
A case works....which means that there is a "touch of death" for the wifi somewhere on the Verizon model.

garoto
Feb 8, 2011, 04:37 PM

Are you serious?

Who in the world would hold a phone the way thar guy is?

Unbelievable. Enjoy your iPhones and stop whining.

FearlessFreep
Feb 8, 2011, 04:38 PM
:rolleyes:
You knew this was going to happen - someone eager to prove that there was still a problem with the antenna.

Waiting for the day when Apple does away with the 'bars' display altogether because of idiots like this.

rickdollar
Feb 8, 2011, 04:38 PM
Everything is amazing and nobody's happy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk)

That's great:D Thanks.

gkarris
Feb 8, 2011, 04:39 PM

until they get the iPhone... (LOL)....

Any T-Mobile unlocked iPhone 4 users yet? Do you have any issues (I have an old original one).

yukong
Feb 8, 2011, 04:39 PM
Ugh.

And in an unrelated story, the nation is shocked and saddened today by the news that President Abraham Lincoln was mortally wounded last night while attending a play at Ford's Theater in Washington DC. Authorities have named John Wilkes Booth as a person of interest in their investigation.

NoExpectations
Feb 8, 2011, 04:40 PM

When the PHONE's at fault, not the NETWORK? You can put the phone on a network where it's the only phone, and if you hold it wrong, it'll still drop the call.

-.-"

True. My point is that it still counts as a "dropped call" on the network. AT&T's dropped call rate spiked after the iPhone 4 was released but then it went back down 2 months later when the cases were released. Verizon sat back and laughed....now it's their turn.

Rend It
Feb 8, 2011, 04:41 PM

Concisely,

1) Tightly gripping ANY smartphone will cause attenuation of incoming and outgoing signals. True for wifi and cell connections.

2) The observable effect of such attenuation will vary greatly, depending on your proximity to cell tower or wireless router, and the traffic load at that access point.

3) This effect was more readily apparent on AT&T because their coverage is not as consistently good as Verizon. Thus, it was relatively easy for people to drop calls or data connection simply by bridging the infamous gap with a single finger.

Time to move on.

yodaxl7
Feb 8, 2011, 04:42 PM

Saw the video. He need another verizon iPhone side by side. Plus wifi speed varies. My Internet speed varies from edge speed to 11 Mbps. In the video, he had 3 bars that dropped to one. For me, I get 3 bars and it varies down to two without touching the phone. He had to make an effort and focus. ilounge is the least visited site. If he had a second phone doing simultaneously may prove it. Otherwise they just want attention and his source is a troll.

Dagless
Feb 8, 2011, 04:42 PM
when will Apple learn.

jclardy
Feb 8, 2011, 04:43 PM
To be honest I'm a little skeptical...in the video his hand runs up the entire side of the phone, is the problem the same as the AT&T version at the bottom left or is it because he is bridging it at the top left? Or does it only happen if you bridge both at the same time? He never makes it clear in the video of course because they are just trying to get hits to their blog of course.

And the "death hug" is just stupid, when does anyone grip the sides of the phone while it is in landscape like that...

boncellis
My favorite comments from last time were those saying Apple would have to issue a recall. Just hilarious. Apparently signal attenuation is on the same level as a phone bursting into flames or causing some other bodily injury.

The new design is right around the corner, don't panic.

BriChi
there's an antenna issue on the iPhone? :D

mingoglia
Let me point out that although I'm a big Apple consumer (MBP, 2 Mini's, 3g ipad for myself and some of my employees, various ipod's, etc), I'm not an iphone owner however. I'm a blackberry user. I happen to be on AT&T because I like the full size Bold.

I say this because I don't want to seem like an iphone fanboy when I say, COME ON GUYS... if you grip a phone over the antenna it's going to potentially cause issues. It's not a design flaw, it's a fact. The alternative is to either put an external antenna on them like phones from 10 years ago, or put a plastic bumper around it to reduce the problem. Why do people think this is a design flaw? Yeah, they could probably make the iphone out of a non-metallic material and help with the problem, but then there would be complaints about the fit and finish of the phone. Everyone always has to complain about something.

aristotle
Feb 8, 2011, 04:44 PM
If it is the phone's fault then why do Canadians not have a problem with their GSM/HSPA iPhone 4? *HINT* It is the network and congestion on the network. It is also dues to OCD people making it fail on purpose.

You can cause attenuation by holding it a certain way so that you deliberately bridge antennas. Calls will be dropped if your signal is marginal to begin with but if you have a strong signal, the call will not drop.

There are various other phones that can exhibit the same behaviour if you grip in in a particular way with a particular amount of pressure.

Get over your OCD already and enjoy your phones.

MacLawyer
Feb 8, 2011, 04:44 PM
Any radio will suffer reception degradation if you touch or grip the antenna or the leads.

Now, if Apple has promised that the antenna was positioned in such a way that you couldn't interfere with the antenna or leads, then shame on them. Does anyone know what kind of claims have been made by Apple or Verizon on this subject?

tekkyn00b
Feb 8, 2011, 04:45 PM
Death Grip for my Verizon iPhone --> eh, okay, yeah, I had a problems with data, but I only went from 4 bars to 3 bars, and I was also able to hold a call while death gripping.

Death Hug (really?) --> Could not replicate that. As difficult as it was to contort my hands into that Death Hug grip, I managed to do it, but lo and behold, loaded absolutely the same. No difference at all. Tried it at least 5 times.

Not that big of a deal. Hold it like a normal person and it's fine. Hold it like a journalist that needs to get something before the end of the work day, then yeah.

Dagless
Waiting for the day when Apple does away with the 'bars' display altogether because of idiots like this.
Idiots? Because they're highlighting a hardware flaw? Yeah, lets gloss over hardware faults and see where we end up.

kas23
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

I love the flood of Verizon fanboys on here defending their defect phone they received after waiting 4 long years.

saving107
Feb 8, 2011, 04:46 PM
The return of the boo-boo fixer.

http://hifi3d.squarespace.com/storage/HIFI_antennaid_new.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1280199618358

j-a-x
I already know after using my iPhone 4 for all these months that this will not be an issue.

Constable Odo
:eek: This will probably do as much damage to iPhone 4 sales as Antennagate 1.0 did. Zero damage. :D

aohus
Feb 8, 2011, 04:47 PM
attenuation exists for the iPhone4. deal with it. its a design issue, and i guess it won't go away.

http://i.imgur.com/sYxOH.jpg

lifeinhd
True. My point is that it still counts as a "dropped call" on the network. AT&T's dropped call rate spiked after the iPhone 4 was released but then it went back down 2 months later when the cases were released. Verizon sat back and laughed....now it's their turn.

Okay, understood and agreed. I'd really be interested in seeing the number dropped due to death grip vs. lack of coverage, but of course it's impossible to say :o

JGowan
"iLounge reports..." -- That's a huge joke... "reports" -- wow! What reporting they are doing. More like: iLame.

Explorz
Feb 8, 2011, 04:48 PM
Don't hold it that way!

gkarris
Feb 8, 2011, 04:48 PM
The return of the boo-boo fixer.

http://hifi3d.squarespace.com/storage/HIFI_antennaid_new.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1280199618358

this makes me want to buy an iPhone 4...

(eyes start watering....)

Cleverboy
Feb 8, 2011, 04:50 PM
I'm amazed and saddened that people tend to obsess about things that are actually quite weird. Both the "death hug" and "death grip" shown in the videos are highly unnatural positions for anyone to hold a phone... moreover, different phones have "optimum" methods for getting the attenuation to happen. So, whether its losing "only one bar" or many, isn't even logical to hold up, as each vendor may choose to display bars differently.

I'm listening to the way the guy in the video is speaking, and I can tell he seems to think this is a very important issue. What this is, unfortunately, is an excuse that may cause someone not to purchase the best phone they've ever owned... because they think this will affect them. I even feel that Consumer Reports, in an attempt to sound objective (given its history of glowing reports on Apple) felt the need to push in the opposite direction simply to help its "street cred" with what was likely an extremely vocal group of non-Apple customers.

Kind of sad. I'm still convinced many of the early complaints were more about issues with the proximity bug making calls hang-up by errant touches to your face. All fixed now though...

~ CB

NoExpectations
Feb 8, 2011, 04:50 PM
Did the first Antennagate have a Wifi issue? This might be new. Is there a 'touch of death' for the Wifi on this one?

briguy21
Feb 8, 2011, 04:51 PM
Sure ATT put this guy up to making this video. However the main difference is that with my Verizon phone I have yet to drop a call, with the iphone 4 on ATT I dropped them all the time. I am considering the issue fixed.

Yeah, the signal does go down one or two bars, but never once have I had no service, like the ATT iphone.

beany boy
Feb 8, 2011, 04:53 PM
I got naked, stood on my head and put straws in my nose and guess what. I lost 2 bars!

briguy21
Feb 8, 2011, 04:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

I love the flood of Verizon fanboys on here defending their defect phone they received after waiting 4 long years.

Atleast I can actually keep a call going! :)

cybaster
Feb 8, 2011, 04:54 PM
now I don't know if the wifi issue is of concern
and let me make it clear that I am not trying to blame any network carriers. And yes, the iPhone 4 design seem to have a higher level of signal attenuation than other phones, meaning that a design flaw is not out of the question.

But when I was in Hong Kong, I asked around and EVERYONE told me that there was NO antennagate issue. This is because the signal strength is so high that the attenuation effect is minimal.

That is why we also have varying reports of some showing the grip of death and some don't.

Hmmm let's think for a second... when you have low signal strength and the signal is attenuated..... the signal goes kaput? that's "news" to me!

rmhop81
man this is hilarious news!!! HAHA to all those people who thought they would be better off on Verizon network.

I have never experienced a problem with mine on AT&T, i just find this to be hilarious.

lamina
Seven minutes to show that?

rmhop81
Feb 8, 2011, 04:55 PM
Atleast I can actually keep a call going! :)

you must live in the boonies. here in Dallas, i never have an issue with AT&T.

dopey423
Feb 8, 2011, 04:56 PM
also tried to replicate this movie and no luck. i lose maybe 1 bar at most, otherwise wifi and 3g are all good

flottenheimer
Feb 8, 2011, 04:58 PM
This is stupid.

writingdevil
it's unbelievable that this site, tho it is "rumors", has to stoop to re-propagating this kind of drivel. i don't know ANYBODY, including my Pops, my Grandpa or any of their aged friends, who holds their phone like that. NOBODY.

Nobody my age, under or over holds it that way, and I have friends who game while they're boarding. This is such nonsense and I'm sure ATT loves it/supports it/made it. The guy talking sounds like he's trying to be SOOOO objective and scientific it reminds me of old government films on utube.

CMON MacRumors.

Noisemaker
I haven't read the thread, as I don't really care. I just wanted to chime in and say that I got my Verizon iPhone today and can't recreate either of the two antenna issues claimed, even while gripping like I'm trying to smother the thing. :p

tatonka
Feb 8, 2011, 04:59 PM
Jeez ... that guy in the video is a genius. Covering the entire phone will lead to a signal drop .. big whoop and as arn said, this has really nothing to do the death grip of the original iPhone 4 ..

T.

BC2009
Feb 8, 2011, 04:59 PM
I tested placing the iPhone 4 in a 4-inch thick lead box and then encasing the box in concrete with a camera to record the iPhone screen positioned inside the box. I then dropped the concrete block with the lead box inside and the iphone and camera into the ocean. I later retrieved the concrete box with a submarine and after chiseling the concrete away and opening the lead box I found the camera had recorded footage of the signal on the iPhone dropping to zero bars.

I call this the "death entombment" and iPhone 4's antenna is not powerful enough to maintain signal in such cases. To date no other smart phone has been found to have this issue, but then again nobody has bothered to try. Maybe Apple should create some videos of other smart phones with the "death entombment" and see how they hold up and then post their findings to youtube.

NOTE: If you try to replicate my test make sure to set the iPhone 4 to not go into screen-blanking mode. My first attempt was wasted as the camera simply recorded the screen shutting off to save battery power. If you are able to replicate my results please post your findings to youtube.

Mikael K
Feb 8, 2011, 05:00 PM
In related news, covering mic on the iPhone makes it hard for people to hear you and covering the speaker makes it hard to hear other people. Also not pointing the screen at your eyes causes terrible performance of the graphics! And you actually have to put the earbuds in your ears for those to work! Geez

rockosmodurnlif
Feb 8, 2011, 05:00 PM
There goes the Consumer Reports recommendation for the VeriPhone

eddieairplanes
Feb 8, 2011, 05:01 PM
Good God, that video was 6 minutes longer than it needed to be. zzz

Feb 8, 2011, 05:02 PM

You know, I can't reproduce this on my AT&T iPhone - but that does not mean it does not happen for other people in other locations. I think it depends on many factors, including your location (and the signal strength there). I guess I could fly to NY and try to reproduce. So maybe you should grab a friend with an iPhone and you sit next to each other and try to death grip the phones (works of course only if you are also on AT&T) - and also trade the phones between you and your friend for tests since everyone might hold it different (even when following instructions for death grip).

Anyway, I hope this is not getting blown out of proportions as last time.

Angelchild
Feb 8, 2011, 05:03 PM
who the fu*k in the world grab the phone in that mode??? that's completly unnatural and false.

In everyday usage there is ANY (ANYANYANYANYANY) problem.

So this is all about page rank and ********s.

Noisemaker
Feb 8, 2011, 05:04 PM
I tested placing the iPhone 4 in a 4-inch thick lead box and then encasing the box in concrete with a camera to record the iPhone screen positioned inside the box. I then dropped the concrete block with the lead box inside and the iphone and camera into the ocean. I later retrieved the concrete box with a submarine and after chiseling the concrete away and opening the lead box I found the camera had recorded footage of the signal on the iPhone dropping to zero bars.

I call this the "death entombment" and iPhone 4's antenna is not powerful enough to maintain signal in such cases. To date no other smart phone has been found to have this issue, but then again nobody has bothered to try. Maybe Apple should create some videos of other smart phones with the "death entombment" and see how they hold up and then post their findings to youtube.

NOTE: If you try to replicate my test make sure to set the iPhone 4 to not go into screen-blanking mode. My first attempt was wasted as the camera simply recorded the screen shutting off to save battery power. If you are able to replicate my results please post your findings to youtube.

Generic ATT iPhone user post.

STOP HATING ON VERIZON!

:p

makingdots
Feb 8, 2011, 05:05 PM
who will hug their iPhone like that will using it? really not an issue

definitive
Feb 8, 2011, 05:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dVs5h.jpg

Xenomorph
Feb 8, 2011, 05:10 PM
attenuation exists for the iPhone4. deal with it. its a design issue, and i guess it won't go away.

3GS for the win.

Where did that chart come from?

lifeinhd
Feb 8, 2011, 05:12 PM
Sure ATT put this guy up to making this video. However the main difference is that with my Verizon phone I have yet to drop a call, with the iphone 4 on ATT I dropped them all the time. I am considering the issue fixed.

Yeah, the signal does go down one or two bars, but never once have I had no service, like the ATT iphone.

How'd you get a Verizon iPhone already without being a prior Verizon customer? Just curious :)

MacFly123
Feb 8, 2011, 05:15 PM
I swear this is so ridiculous! Show me one person on earth who actually holds their phone like that lol! This is not an issue. It hasn't even ever been an issue for me on AT&T either. Get over it people! :rolleyes:

iPhysicist
Feb 8, 2011, 05:15 PM
The thing WHY there was no signal drop during the hands on on the Verizon iPhone announcement is that they had a strong signal. So even if the detuning of the antenna affects the reception the bigger problem is the hand that covers the antenna completely. The damn signal strength is reduced by the flesh of the hand. Is this that hard to understand? Why do they have to exaggerate it by covering the phone (in an uncofortable way of holding it I never seen before) in a way it makes it unusable?

Expectations not met? Just return it but don't blame the seller for your attempt to use it while covering the phone completely with your hands.

Ever tried to use a phone in a Faraday Cage? NO? Why not? You know it wont work? Ahhh, I see common sense but why cant you use your common sense here? Ahh I see you want to get attention (and sell your ads).

Great!

whatever
Feb 8, 2011, 05:18 PM
I discovered that when I place a "death grip" on my Verizon iPhone, my AT&T iPhone actually gains an additional line for every line that the Verizon iPhone loses.

The same thing happens with the Verizon iPhone when I apply a "death grip" on my AT&T iPhone.

What's even stranger, when I hold both iPhones in each hand and apply the "death grip" the lights in my house dim and my computer reboots.

unlinked
3GS for the win.

It is very similar to one in http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/07/iphone-4-anandtech/ so it probably came from a different wired article.

A shame to go from the best phone to the worst phone.

space1nvaders
Who holds a phone like that?

beany boy
Feb 8, 2011, 05:20 PM
I discovered that when I place a "death grip" on my Verizon iPhone, my AT&T iPhone actually gains an additional line for every line that the Verizon iPhone loses.

The same thing happens with the Verizon iPhone when I apply a "death grip" on my AT&T iPhone.

What's even stranger, when I hold both iPhones in each hand and apply the "death grip" the lights in my house dim and my computer reboots.

I screwed 2 lightbulbs in my ears and when I do the death grip they light up.

mgrisham
Feb 8, 2011, 05:25 PM
"Death hug" is the silliest yet. Whenever I use my iPhone in landscape I wrap all my fat fingers so far around it that I can't see the top or bottom half inch of the display.

-AG-
Feb 8, 2011, 05:25 PM
*NEWS FLASH*

Experts at iLounge have recently found that if inserting ones iPhone into ones anus could result in dramatic signal loss and inability to send or read text messages!!

iLounge are demanding Apple CEO offer free trained Gerbils with flashlights strapped to their heads to all iPhone customers to reduce this tragic oversight.

"Gerbil-Gate" as it is being referred too by some rival companies, seems like it could affect other branded phones too.

The HTC Mozart is also meant to be suffering similar issues, but on further testing studies proved that it was in fact just a piece of crap.

[Update]
Google has officially stated that they too will be offering free gerbils to customers but unlike Apple theirs will not need the flashlights, because as we all know the sun shines out off Android users asses.

manu chao
Feb 8, 2011, 05:26 PM
Nobody holds the phone with that exaggeration of a death grip. His palm covers a fourth of the screen! Yes, it has an antenna issue, we've known that for a while now. Re-position your grip on the phone and ! suddenly it's issue free! :rolleyes:
But you have completely overlooked the display issue of the iPhone, if you hold the way done in the video, you cannot view the whole screen. :D

beany boy
Feb 8, 2011, 05:26 PM
Mystified , I sat down down with my Ouija board and asked......WHY?

It spelled out D-O-N-T H-O-L-D I-T T-H-A-T W-A-Y

doctor-don
Feb 8, 2011, 05:33 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/08/death-hug-verizon-iphone-demonstrates-antenna-attenuation-issues/)

with the gsm version of the iphone having received considerable attention for issues with loss of cellular signal when held in a "death grip" position, observers have been interested to see whether a similar issue affects the verizon iphone with its modified antenna design.

ilounge reports (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/verizon-iphone-4-antenna-problems-persist-video/) that not only has it been able to demonstrate loss of cellular signal strength with the same "death grip", but it has also been able to hamper wi-fi reception by subjecting the device to a grip dubbed the "death hug".

It's not clear if such a "death hug" is of any practical concern.

Apple ceo steve jobs famously referred to the antenna problems with the original iphone 4 as a "non issue", telling a customer to simply "avoid holding it in that way".

All phones do suffer from some attenuation when gripped tightly in certain ways, a phenomenon caused by the human body's natural ability to absorb signals in the range used for cellular and wireless networks. Critics of the iphone 4, however, argued that the effect was seen by some simply by bridging the iphone 4's antenna with your hand. The video makes no effort to see if this antenna bridging remains a factor on the verizon iphone 4.

Article link: 'death hug': Verizon iphone demonstrates antenna attenuation issues (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/08/death-hug-verizon-iphone-demonstrates-antenna-attenuation-issues/)

duh!

Fraaaa
Is this what Verizon ment with their ad when said, "It begins"?

gkarris

I don't see "hug" in this chart... :eek:

;)

beany boy
Feb 8, 2011, 05:34 PM
AG I hear inserting the phone into your anus is ok as long as you use a case.

DemNoir
It's always been obvious the MacRumors editorial team are **********. But I didn't think you where DUMB **********.

I was wrong.

doctor-don
*NEWS FLASH*

Experts at iLounge have recently found that if inserting ones iPhone into ones anus could result in dramatic signal loss and inability to send or read text messages!!

iLounge are demanding Apple CEO offer free trained Gerbils with flashlights strapped to their heads to all iPhone customers to reduce this tragic oversight.

"Gerbil-Gate" as it is being referred too by some rival companies, seems like it could affect other branded phones too.

The HTC Mozart is also meant to be suffering similar issues, but on further testing studies proved that it was in fact just a piece of crap.

[Update]
Google has officially stated that they too will be offering free gerbils to customers but unlike Apple theirs will not need the flashlights, because as we all know the sun shines out off Android users asses.

UPDATE: Don't hold it that way. Keep it out of your poop chute.

opticalserenity
Feb 8, 2011, 05:35 PM
Why is this news? Really Macrumors? It's stupid to report stupid "news."

Every radio telecommunications device can be attenuated. This is how radio works! Don't like it, walk around with a wire connected to the world!

Also, my iPhone 4 has worked great since day one.

TigerWoodsIV
Feb 8, 2011, 05:36 PM
lol...this again

doctor-don
Feb 8, 2011, 05:38 PM
I don't see "hug" in this chart... :eek:

;)

So whose data are these?

If they are from the phones' reported signal strength, then they can be all over the place due to differences in the manner in which the signal strength is calculated and / or reported.

Further, are they all on the same network?

MacNewsFix
Feb 8, 2011, 05:39 PM
3GS for the win.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

In the article, while some criticisms, the authors' concluding statements include:

The iPhone 4 is a tremendous improvement over the previous phones from Apple.
If you're an existing iPhone user you'll want to upgrade. It's worth it.

kicko
no one holds a phone like that.. is this really an issue? the AT&T iphone did get covered by your thumb a bit but its moved out of the way with verizon.

file this under "making trouble out of nothing"

NoExpectations
"I can hear you now.....if you don't hold your vPhone in your hand" :D

reden
Let me explain this as simple as possible. Apple stated it was never an issue and that was true. The issue for them was placing the gap where users commonly place their finger and cause the signal to drop. In this updated version of the iPhone, the gap was placed elsewhere, where the chances of a person holding it as weird as they are in this video are extremely minimal. Conclusion, it was never an issue with the phone, just the position of the antenna, get over it.

gramirez2012
Feb 8, 2011, 05:41 PM
Hahahahahaha!

hexonxonx
Feb 8, 2011, 05:41 PM
I swear this is so ridiculous! Show me one person on earth who actually holds their phone like that lol! This is not an issue. It hasn't even ever been an issue for me on AT&T either. Get over it people! :rolleyes:

Correct. I've been using my AT&T without a bumper to make calls on for the past four months and have not had one failed call. I don't pay attention to how I hold it either.

NoExpectations
Feb 8, 2011, 05:42 PM
Can you hear me now?

How about now?

Now?

Wait...how about now?

dang...

Now?

wait...putting on my iGlove....

How about now?

mKTank
Feb 8, 2011, 05:43 PM
From the previous thread:

Quit your bitching. It's how the phone is, so either live with it or go get another damn phone. Millions of us use this phone just fine, and just because it's your spoiled ass you think Apple should spin it's orbit around you? You sound like a 12 year old.

I paid them 600 dollars for the damn phone. I expect them to jump through hoops whilst juggling mercury let alone make a phone capable of making calls for that amount. Stop being so apologetic. Apple clearly made a mistake with this design and they themselves admitted it. You sound like a fanboy.

Why is this news? Really Macrumors? It's stupid to report stupid "news."

Every radio telecommunications device can be attenuated. This is how radio works! Don't like it, walk around with a wire connected to the world!

Also, my iPhone 4 has worked great since day one.
I must have tried this death grip with dozens of phones. None of them had a problem. Well one or two might have dropped a bar if held with a 20lb grip, but if all it takes is a finger to COMPLETELY lose signal on an iPhone 4, I think you shouldn't keep trying to say "BUT BUT ALL PHONES DO THIS." No they don't. Stop believing everything Apple tells you. Judging by their screwup here, they're the last company that you should trust to make calls (lol pun) on how other phones on the market behave.

xraydoc
Feb 8, 2011, 05:44 PM
Correct. I've been using my AT&T without a bumper to make calls on for the past four months and have not had one failed call. I don't pay attention to how I hold it either.

Yep. I don't have any issue in my location with the VZW cellular signal strength or wifi strength no matter how I'm holding my phone. Not saying others can't make it happen, but for me it's a non-issue.

Glideslope
Feb 8, 2011, 05:44 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Wait, yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!! :apple:

beany boy
Feb 8, 2011, 05:47 PM
From the previous thread:

I paid them 600 dollars for the damn phone. I expect them to jump through hoops whilst juggling mercury let alone make a phone capable of making calls for that amount. Stop being so apologetic. Apple clearly made a mistake with this design and they themselves admitted it. You sound like a fanboy.

I have been trying to teach my phone to drive me home when I've had to many.

Plymouthbreezer
Feb 8, 2011, 05:48 PM
Really?
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/7290/screenshot20110208at652.jpg

This is such a non-issue; no one holds their phone like this, and if you do, you're an idiot, as one should know that attenuation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attenuation) happens.

I'm trying in vain to replicate these "issues," to no avail (that said, I'm using an Incase sleeve on the unit).

apladdict
Feb 8, 2011, 05:49 PM
I am so sick of hearing about iPhone death grips. Did you see how this screwball was holding the phone in order to reproduce his claims? Who in the hell holds any phone like that? Hey guess what...If you hold anything in a bear hug its not going to work right. Nice journalism loser. Go back to community college, retake the basic journalism course and pay attention to the part where the professor says that you should remain objective.

Slix
Feb 8, 2011, 05:55 PM
It's annoying that people are bringing it up again, but who really holds their iPhone sideways like that?

DELTAsnake
Feb 8, 2011, 05:56 PM
This is stupid, if you death grip any phone you block the wireless signal. I've tried it on all my iPhones and on a few feature phones. It's not the iPhone's problem it's just fact that your hand blocks wireless signals.

Glideslope
Feb 8, 2011, 05:59 PM
Really?
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/7290/screenshot20110208at652.jpg

This is such a non-issue; no one holds their phone like this, and if you do, you're an idiot, as one should know that attenuation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attenuation) happens.

I'm trying in vain to replicate these "issues," to no avail (that said, I'm using an Incase sleeve on the unit).

Attenuation Happens!!

Like it, has a kick to it. :apple:

applefanDrew
Feb 8, 2011, 06:01 PM
Anyone else think that it is only when the top left slit is covered that it slows down wifi? Just like bottom left slows down 3g and kills signal.

nickmccally
Feb 8, 2011, 06:01 PM
My Verizon iPhone4 does have this issue bad. I can be on a phone call with 5 bars and hold the phone as I normally would and drop to 1 bar.

Called apple got a free bumper. I'm hesitant to use it considering I heard it scratches the iPhones antenna band.

aristotle
Feb 8, 2011, 06:02 PM
Idiots? Because they're highlighting a hardware flaw? Yeah, lets gloss over hardware faults and see where we end up.
It is not a hardware flaw. It is a network issue that is highly localized and variable based on location and a bunch of OCD people following directions that they see online showing how to make almost any phone lose signal.

@nickmccally: Does your self worth depend on how many bars you phone has? It drops one bar from 5 to four? Does it drop a call? No? Then your phone is fine and you need to see a shrink about your OCD. Every phone will lose a bar if it is on the edge between bars. You cannot change the laws of physics.

NoExpectations
Feb 8, 2011, 06:04 PM
My Verizon iPhone4 does have this issue bad. I can be on a phone call with 5 bars and hold the phone as I normally would and drop to 1 bar.

Called apple got a free bumper. I'm hesitant to use it considering I heard it scratches the iPhones antenna band.

Wow...free bumpers from Apple already.

Try Ghost Armor. www.ghost-armor.com

It includes protection along the sides.

manu chao
Feb 8, 2011, 06:05 PM
Apple clearly made a mistake with this design and they themselves admitted it.

Who said they maid a mistake? They likely made a deliberate choice. Of course it seems they underestimated how much people would care this. So, one could argue they made a mistake in underestimating this.

But then again, I guess, Toyota underestimated how much Americans would care about the gas pedal issue. But unfortunately it is not really possible to take out an insurance agains media panic.

See, some people don't like the weight of the iPhone 4, some don't like its vibrating sound, some don't like that it has for them a somewhat higher rate of dropped phone calls. In all cases, this concerns only a very, very small minority of customers. As a manufacturer you just take the phone back, smile at the customer and forget about the issue as you still cannot make enough phones as you could sell.

PeterQVenkman
Feb 8, 2011, 06:16 PM
But can he reproduce that while wearing Chewbacca gloves?

viewfly
Feb 8, 2011, 06:20 PM
I think the reason we are seeing this issue is because in the video his thumb is covering up that opening.. Could potentially be an issue to some people.. But at this point I mean its to be expected, all phones have an issue with this, maybe they may not be as bad as the iPhone 4, but I think its just a design flaw, and hopefully in the future Apple will have it officially resolved.. But either way reception is going to be an issue, it is a phone after all

Yeah, iLounge really cheated on this one. They clearly were hitting the new 'hot spot' at the top of the phone, while saying nothing about it. Nor did they display in dB, instead of bars, nor did they do a data speed test. All these things make sense to perform, instead of a lame video.

Hugging a phone so tightly that you block the phone's screen? LOL

Let's see how many dB it dropped and then try a location where you are at 5 bars...3 or 4 bars is not a 'fair signal' it is near the bottom.

pretty sad. Maybe he should try the same death grip around his neck...and see if he can still breathe! Did your air intake go from 5 bars to 1? Complain to your parents that you are defective!

Geeks
Feb 8, 2011, 06:21 PM
If I put my phone into a faraday cage, the signal is crap!

Seriously, don't cover every inch of the antenna and expect it to work.

michaelsviews
Feb 8, 2011, 06:23 PM
Either return it and go with a droid or something else.

Or

Suck it up and deal with it.

Maybe it was that over priced wedding band you had on your finger that interfered with the reception...................

mKTank
Feb 8, 2011, 06:24 PM
Who said they maid a mistake? They likely made a deliberate choice. Of course it seems they underestimated how much people would care this. So, one could argue they made a mistake in underestimating this.

But then again, I guess, Toyota underestimated how much Americans would care about the gas pedal issue. But unfortunately it is not really possible to take out an insurance agains media panic.

See, some people don't like the weight of the iPhone 4, some don't like its vibrating sound, some don't like that it has for them a somewhat higher rate of dropped phone calls. In all cases, this concerns only a very, very small minority of customers. As a manufacturer you just take the phone back, smile at the customer and forget about the issue as you still cannot make enough phones as you could sell.

http://www.148apps.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Picture-33-600x271.jpg

twoodcc
Feb 8, 2011, 06:25 PM
well hopefully the iPhone 5 won't have these issues

Mr Fusion
Feb 8, 2011, 06:27 PM
Wow...free bumpers from Apple already...
Those wooden nickel's worth of rubber and plastic should be shipped inside every iPhone box. Cheap ********... :rolleyes:

Tymmz
i couldn't watch the entire video. what a joke!

i know the antenna issue exist, i experienced it myself on my iphone 4; but the way these guys strangle the phone is ridiculous!

dammyonline
oh for ****** sake, get over it!!!....you don't have to buy the damn phone!

stupid article

mKTank
Feb 8, 2011, 06:31 PM
Also, it doesn't have to be a 'hug.' It's the same as the AT&T iPhone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_P-wQUqyPI&feature=feedu

MrNomNoms
Feb 8, 2011, 06:32 PM
The question I want to know is why people are holding it like a gorilla in the first place.

Manu Chao said the following (spelling mistakes corrected): "Who said they made a mistake? They likely made a deliberate choice. Of course it seems they underestimated how much people would care this. So, one could argue they made a mistake in underestimating this."

Maybe Apple assumed that the vast majority of people wouldn't hold their phone like gorilla, man handling the device to the point that it is sucked into the folds of their fat hands. When you design something you make assumptions and if all the people you test your device with hold the phone like a phone should be handled rather than some knuckle dragger then you assume than the design works. If you've got more than three fingers holding the device and it is sitting in the palm of your hand then you're a gorilla.

mKTank
Feb 8, 2011, 06:34 PM
The question I want to know is why people are holding it like a gorilla in the first place.

Manu Chao said the following (spelling mistakes corrected): "Who said they made a mistake? They likely made a deliberate choice. Of course it seems they underestimated how much people would care this. So, one could argue they made a mistake in underestimating this."

Maybe Apple assumed that the vast majority of people wouldn't hold their phone like gorilla, man handling the device to the point that it is sucked into the folds of their fat hands. When you design something you make assumptions and if all the people you test your device with hold the phone like a phone should be handled rather than some knuckle dragger then you assume than the design works. If you've got more than three fingers holding the device and it is sitting in the palm of your hand then you're a gorilla.
Again, all it takes is the touch of a finger. This 'hug' crap is wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T90RwVaWfqo

jeff33702
Feb 8, 2011, 06:35 PM
Steve: "It's going to cost how much to redesign the antennae? Leave it alone, that way, it's not like we're confessing that the AT&T version was actually a huge cluster."

PeterQVenkman
Feb 8, 2011, 06:39 PM

Hulk like tiny phone. Hulk hug phone.

cgc
Feb 8, 2011, 06:40 PM
I hear when you hold the iPhone in your hand it significantly degrades your ability to see the screen...no mention of this affecting other phones.

(of course I'm kidding...can't see screen because your hand is in the way)

ndpitch
Feb 8, 2011, 06:40 PM
So wait, if I completely smother my iPhone with my hands, and hold it as if someone was trying to steal it out of my hands and run away with all of my personal information, the signal gets weak? No way!!

Moving along, moving along. There is absolutely no news or rumors here. Terrible post by MacRumors.

ToxicMan
Feb 8, 2011, 06:42 PM
Argh! We're told if you hold your phone in the death hug, like this...

I'm told if you submerge your phone in water, like this...

I'm told if you place your phone on its edge, then drop it like this...

I'm told if you insert the phone into your rectum, like this...

I'm told if you hold the phone over your head, say three times, Steve Jobs has been cured of cancer, suddenly gold doubloons spill out of the dock connector and rain down on your head...

I'm told...

manu chao
Feb 8, 2011, 06:43 PM
http://www.148apps.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Picture-33-600x271.jpg
And so what? They never said they maid a mistake (and never would have even if they had made one).

But when you have to deal with a media panic, you have to do something. Even if that means appearing in front of congress and apologising in a language you do not fully manage.

manu chao
Feb 8, 2011, 06:48 PM
Steve: "It's going to cost how much to redesign the antennae? Leave it alone, that way, it's not like we're confessing that the AT&T version was actually a huge cluster."
So, if 0.01% of all customers feel bothered by this, your product is a cluster? I guess there are more that are allergic to some of the metals used in the metal alloy of the antenna. But somehow that topic was not sexy enough.

lilo777
Will the Verizon customers (with iPhone 4) see dropped calls for the first time in their lives?

rmiller065
Hey Everyone, when I drive under an over pass or parked in my garage, I sometimes lose my satellite radio signal. Like who will ever hold their phone like that! Ridiculous

ndpitch
Feb 8, 2011, 06:49 PM
I'm told if you insert the phone into your rectum, like this...

rofl

citi
Feb 8, 2011, 06:51 PM
Did you know if you squeeze your hands around somebody's neck, they don't talk the way they usually do? BECAUSE THAT'S NOT THE NORM. I hope he sends you a free bumper with a steaming hot dump in the box.

I actually laughed out loud on that one!

BigJayhawk
Feb 8, 2011, 06:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

New Class Action Lawsuit in the making . . .

My new iPhone is so lonely (apparently) that I am enticed toclasp my hands on it in a HUGGING MOTION that keeps me from getting ANY work done at all on WiFi!!!

SERIOUSLY???

This is like saying when parking your convertible UNDER THE TRAILER OF A SEMI-TRUCK that the convertible top does not provide me with an appropriate level of SUN.

The IDIOTIC PEOPLE at iLounge should have the "little i" in their name REVOKED for being UNWORTHY!!!

zenio
Feb 8, 2011, 06:54 PM
well hopefully the iPhone 5 won't have these issues

You're right, besides the iPhone 4 is old now. Soon Apple will have another chance to see if they can get it right. After all, it's only a phone. So many people getting upset over nothing.

hugo7
Feb 8, 2011, 06:57 PM
Free bumpers round 2!

But seriously 'death grip'? 'standard death grip'? 'death hug'?

For anybody employing the death hug, please return your phone now. You don't deserve it.

And that 7min alarmist video?... 5 mins too long.

zachunter
Feb 8, 2011, 06:58 PM
Who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DotComName
Feb 8, 2011, 06:58 PM
Here we go again... If you squeeze any phone that tightly where the antenna is, you will get attenuation. This happens regardless of the phone. Is that not the conclusion we all reached the last time?

lilo777
Feb 8, 2011, 07:01 PM
Here we go again... If you squeeze any phone that tightly where the antenna is, you will get attenuation. This happens regardless of the phone. Is that not the conclusion we all reached the last time?

No. One can not touch antenna on other phones therefore the tightness of the grip does not matter on them.

xIGmanIx
Feb 8, 2011, 07:03 PM
i am surprised apple hasn't charged for this feature yet and it appears to be part of their superior design....talk about bravado at its best

Thadon
Feb 8, 2011, 07:03 PM
Ok honestly... I've sat here trying to reproduce this for the past 10 minutes. Coming from a Motorola Droid, the iPhone TO ME has a lot better signal. Ah well, if I'm able to get a free bumper out of this I'm all for it.

aristotle
Feb 8, 2011, 07:04 PM
No. One can not touch antenna on other phones therefore the tightness of the grip does not matter on them.
Touching the antenna or no, GOOGLE IT YOURSELF. Other phones (both GSM and CDMA) have the same attenuation when you do a death grip.

Go seek professional help for your OCD.

Dr McKay
Feb 8, 2011, 07:06 PM
Having the antenna on the outside, is still one of the most ludicrous design features I have ever heard of for a phone.

It had better be gone in iPhone 5.

Yes other phones can do it, not as badly though, and you have to squeeze the phone in both hands, I can cripple my phone with 1 finger.

No Im not going to get a different phone, I feel this negative is out weighed by the positives. And yes, I hold my phone 'Different' now. :D

alexanderbrooks
Feb 8, 2011, 07:06 PM
Come on people, did you see how he is holding the phone?

What retard :eek: would hold thier phone like that? He is holding it as if he is holdding on to it for his life...

LarryC
Feb 8, 2011, 07:18 PM
I have been really curious about something. Why is it that so many Mac users act like a brain-dead, kool-aid drinking cult follower. So many of you act as though apple and steve jobs are the same thing/things as God? No man is perfect and no company is either. And any time that there is any mention or report of a problem with either steve jobs or with any apple product/decision, you guys freak out like a bunch of militant islamic fundamentalists? I really have come to believe that it is a cult! And those of you who are cult members are a bunch of brain-dead, mindless, dangerous followers. Get over it people. steve jobs is just a man. I will admit that he is a very intelligent man, but still, just a man. Put down the kool-aid and the mouse and back away. Go find yourselves a really good shrink with experience in dealing with people like yourselves. You guys could just go to guyana and buy some land... create yourselves a compound and a church. Instead of Jesus, Buddha, or Mohammed, you guys could have sj as your saviour. Maybe you could have a secret handshake. Maybe your church could be in the shape of an original iMac. But whatever it is that you do, get help!

DotComName
Feb 8, 2011, 07:19 PM

That's not true. They may not be on the exterior like the iPhone 4's is, but they can only be as far away from the hand as half the thickness of the phone (if it's in the very center).. Squeezing over wherever the antenna is will result in the SAME attenuation.

adamcwelch
Feb 8, 2011, 07:26 PM
Who actually holds their phone like that?? All I have to say is...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIcaejkpD4

whatever
Feb 8, 2011, 07:28 PM
My daughter just dropped my Verizon iPhone three feet and the glass broke! Why didn't Apple fix this!

Oh wait she dropped my AT&T iPhone, so that explains why the glass broke.

Crap, she just dropped my Verizon iPhone three feet and the glass broke too!

I may need to file a glass-action suit against Apple, anyone want to join me?

vidoc2
...and when the phone is placed in a pelican case, submerged in 500 feet of water in the Northern Pacific...c'mon, first of all who holds their phone in that "death grip" position? Who are these geeks making these videos, I want their job!!!

nooaah
Jailbroken AT&T iPhone with fake carrier.

ast03
Feb 8, 2011, 07:29 PM
omg please dont start this crap again..

zenio
Feb 8, 2011, 07:31 PM
Apple loves to be famous.

Now they will forever be known as the company that discovered the Death Grip.

They proved their competitors came equipped with the same wonderful feature.

Case sales soared and everyone lived happily ever after.

Well maybe not everyone :eek:

Apple Inc... what a hilarious bunch

viewfly
Feb 8, 2011, 07:33 PM
Again, all it takes is the touch of a finger. This 'hug' crap is wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T90RwVaWfqo

Here we go again mKTank. With 5 bars it works just find, even with one finger on the phone.

Just to prove you wrong and illustrate the nature of the problem here is the video again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf5-sMP2ed0

Shows lack of antena-gate, when iPhone 4 has good 5 bars or -54dBm and -68 dBm ( 2 examples). No loss in signal (dB) or data speed stoppage. Also shows result with Bumper on. 5 bars begins around -78dBm and goes up to -40dBm (approximately). I found that weaker signals than -72dBm ( i.e. 4 bars) will show antenna-gate in loss of dB ( 22dB) and stoppage of data speeds.

This explains why some see antennagate and others do not.

ghostface147
Feb 8, 2011, 07:34 PM
Having the antenna on the outside, is still one of the most ludicrous design features I have ever heard of for a phone.

It had better be gone in iPhone 5.

Or what?

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 8, 2011, 07:43 PM
Déjà vu

krustofski
Feb 8, 2011, 07:43 PM
great job iLounge! i can replicate this death hug /wifi effect even with my ipod touch.

by the way, was there ever a media/blog tsunami about this: http://bit.ly/eCJxjA

inhalexhale
Feb 8, 2011, 07:45 PM

haha....gave me a good laugh, thanks

ten-oak-druid
LOL

more of this bogus antenna business.

puckhead193
I've had no issues but then again i use a case...

Kauai
Feb 8, 2011, 07:51 PM

Thank you! That was hilarious. :D

EddyP
Feb 8, 2011, 07:54 PM
The thing WHY there was no signal drop during the hands on on the Verizon iPhone announcement is that they had a strong signal. So even if the detuning of the antenna affects the reception the bigger problem is the hand that covers the antenna completely. The damn signal strength is reduced by the flesh of the hand. Is this that hard to understand? Why do they have to exaggerate it by covering the phone (in an uncofortable way of holding it I never seen before) in a way it makes it unusable?

Expectations not met? Just return it but don't blame the seller for your attempt to use it while covering the phone completely with your hands.

Ever tried to use a phone in a Faraday Cage? NO? Why not? You know it wont work? Ahhh, I see common sense but why cant you use your common sense here? Ahh I see you want to get attention (and sell your ads).

Great!
Well said.

MacOSX Fan
Feb 8, 2011, 07:58 PM
I love how people are taking the iPhone and completely coverings it antennas and expecting it to work as if there was no obstruction. For those of you that blab and complain about how the design is flawed need to do your homework. As Steve Jobs has shown if you cover the antenna of any smartphone the signal is going to degrade. On top of that being a computer engineer and working with antennas and wireless signals I completely agree with him not because I am an apple fan but because its thats are the types of results you should see with any smartphone when covering the antennas completely. Do me a favor all you that want to complain and bad mouth it, DONT BUY THE iPHONE!!! Buy a brand that has no complaints about it (good luck) and just stay away because your all annoying with your stupid "death grip" reasonings. As a side note: Apple your doing great at everything you do and I cant wait for the next line of macs to come out and def cant wait for the next iPhone.

zim
Feb 8, 2011, 08:00 PM
ugh! so my samsung cell.. I sat on it and guess what.. I lost connection!!! guess that will teach me for trying to talk out of my :rolleyes:

QuarterSwede
Give it a second! It's going to space!

It may be ludicrous but the reception is a crap load better that way. As long as you aren't holding in a way that attenuates it (or you put a case on it) then it's freaking great.

kayno

This guy is a moron. No one death hugs their phone like that.. And his version of the death grip covers the top black bars.. He should consider doing something more
constructive with his life.. Moron!

Fresh1
Feb 8, 2011, 08:05 PM

This guy is a moron. No one death hugs their phone like that.. And his version of the death grip covers the top black bars.. He should consider doing something more
constructive with his life.. Moron!

Yeah, if you hug it like that I would expect signal loss, but seriously, who the hell would use their phone on a daily basis like that?

nooaah
Feb 8, 2011, 08:07 PM
I put my iPhone in the microwave and it stopped working. Give me a bumper!

EddyP
Feb 8, 2011, 08:23 PM
I put my iPhone in the microwave and it stopped working. Give me a bumper!
And mine doesn't work under water. What a POS!

Mobster Sauce
Feb 8, 2011, 08:25 PM
I find it funny that people were expecting Apple to fix the antenna design for the Verizon iPhone.

Didn't Apple say it was a non-issue? If Apple believes it's a non-issue, then there's no reason for them to "fix it" because it was never broken in the first place.

That being said, I have the same problem on my AT&T iPhone. I have to be careful not to cover the tiny line on the side because if my finger even touches it, no more data can get through.

NO DATA CAN GET THROUGH IF I SO MUCH AS TOUCH THE LINE.

Show me another phone that does that and I'll be satisfied.

Sofabutt
Feb 8, 2011, 08:33 PM
here we go again...

Again...

Haha see what I did there?

Just kidding.

The news media is trumping up the next big story, again.

Ulfhednar
Feb 8, 2011, 08:34 PM
In a startling discovery, we've discovered that if you seal the new iPhone 4 into a lead box, ALL signal is lost—ALL OF IT!!! We call this: the death box.

We are currently experimenting with signal loss inside of a gorilla. We call this: the death stomach. We'll should have that report out in another day or two (depending on how well smooth move tea works on simians).

jtrenda33
Feb 8, 2011, 08:34 PM
Who in the world holds their phone like that?

nickmccally
Feb 8, 2011, 08:42 PM
It is not a hardware flaw. It is a network issue that is highly localized and variable based on location and a bunch of OCD people following directions that they see online showing how to make almost any phone lose signal.

@nickmccally: Does your self worth depend on how many bars you phone has? It drops one bar from 5 to four? Does it drop a call? No? Then your phone is fine and you need to see a shrink about your OCD. Every phone will lose a bar if it is on the edge between bars. You cannot change the laws of physics.

I lose 3g signal and get the little circle. Don't preach to me, its a problem. I buy from Apple, but no I can't name a phone that has the problem to this extent.

You might see a shrink due to your major defensiveness due to a known and accepted problem. I wouldnt have bought the phone had I been terribly worried about it.

I've got MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Apple TV, had iPhone 3g, I've bought 4 iPod Touches, an iPod Nano, and a ton of the smaller products from them.. Like 5 sets of in ear headphones.

I am a Apple fan boy, yet I am able to accept IT IS A PROBLEM.

ThomasJL
Feb 8, 2011, 08:43 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how fanboys get upset whenever people have legitimate complaints about functionality flaws in Apple products. I like my Apple products, but Apple really needs to stop compromising functionality in favor of form factor. In regards to designing professional and consumer electronics, functionality should always be prioritized as far more important than form factor.

DirtySocks85
Feb 8, 2011, 08:46 PM
Who actually holds their phone like that?? All I have to say is...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIcaejkpD4

I was just about to post the same thing. Here we go again.

c0l3a5h3r
Feb 8, 2011, 09:10 PM
how long are we going to hear about this.

Bilbo63
Feb 8, 2011, 09:15 PM
Oh for crying out loud...Not again!

This was already blown massively out of proportion once. My so-called "faulty" iPhone 4 has worked flawlessly. I waited in line on launch date, snagged a 32gb version running on Rogers in Canada. Never looked back. Best. Phone. Ever.

froggie22
Feb 8, 2011, 09:20 PM
Not all this again...
If you have a problem (like the other 0.1% of whatever it is) then don't by the phone! Simple. Miss out on what everyone on here loves.

I've never had a problem with mine and no one else I know has either.

barefootpanda
Feb 8, 2011, 09:26 PM
This guy has to be inside a metal box. I've NEVER seen Verizon signal so low AND a WiFi signal that low in "a residential area"

My iPhone (AT&T) always has fantastic WiFi signal in my home (not huge, around 3000ft/sq)

Why would you take a bad or degraded signal and purposely make it worse? What kind of idiot would do that? If the signal is good, it will stay decent even if gripped. If the signal is bad then yeah, it get worse. You're wrapping the antennas in a bag of flesh, liquid and bone. Obviously that won't work!

POOR demo

Honestly - look at how you HAVE to hold the phone to force a weak signal to be weaker.
http://www.ilounge.com/images/uploads/verizon-iphone-4-death-hug.jpg

ravensfan55
Feb 8, 2011, 09:27 PM
Why doesn't Apple just make an antenna like the ones found on the ol' DynaTacs and plug it into the headphone jack?

mKTank
Feb 8, 2011, 09:35 PM
Here we go again mKTank. With 5 bars it works just find, even with one finger on the phone.

Just to prove you wrong and illustrate the nature of the problem here is the video again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf5-sMP2ed0

Shows lack of antena-gate, when iPhone 4 has good 5 bars or -54dBm and -68 dBm ( 2 examples). No loss in signal (dB) or data speed stoppage. Also shows result with Bumper on. 5 bars begins around -78dBm and goes up to -40dBm (approximately). I found that weaker signals than -72dBm ( i.e. 4 bars) will show antenna-gate in loss of dB ( 22dB) and stoppage of data speeds.

This explains why some see antennagate and others do not.
My video was also showing 5 bars. Yeah yeah it goes up to -40dBm, but I still don't believe that such perfect conditions are common enough to label this a non-issue.

Pink∆Floyd
Feb 8, 2011, 09:39 PM
"DEATH HUG"???

Really guys?

Who in hell holds their iPhone 4 like that? Seriously? Why are people making videos about this? If you hold it like an idiot and cover the seams, of course you are going to lose signal, it's not rocket science.

Just hold it like a normal person would and that's that. There is no need to hold it like that.

Stop with the stupid videos.

iGod 2.0
Feb 8, 2011, 09:41 PM

For real!!!!! I'm sitting here like "seriously??? F---ing seriously??"

iGod 2.0
Feb 8, 2011, 09:44 PM

iLounge must be desperate for some hits on their site. Pathetic. Just like Gizmodo

paige.findley
Feb 8, 2011, 09:53 PM
…well I've heard that if you put it in a vice and crank down hard enough it can break.

MacPhilosopher
Feb 8, 2011, 09:54 PM
This is an over-hyped internet/media creation. I have much better reception with my iP4 than I did with my previous iPhone. Again, I have much better reception with my iP4 than I did with my previous iPhone. Again, I have much better reception with my iP4 than I did with my previous iPhone. I used to drop dozens of calls a week in my home which is a perfect storm of signal blocking structure and location. Now I drop one or two a month. Again, I have much better reception with my iP4 than I did with my previous iPhone. Stop the negative hype.

oliversl
Feb 8, 2011, 09:56 PM
bad focus, starts at 3 bars, inside a house, stupid video. This will happen with any other phone in the same situation

MacPhilosopher
Feb 8, 2011, 09:58 PM
In a startling discovery, we've discovered that if you seal the new iPhone 4 into a lead box, ALL signal is lost—ALL OF IT!!! We call this: the death box.

Also the nickname for my ex-wife.

ten-oak-druid
Feb 8, 2011, 10:05 PM
The antenna problems are blown out of proportion. The few people experiencing significant problems need to take their phones in for replacement. The rest of it is hype.

Pink∆Floyd
Feb 8, 2011, 10:14 PM
Also the nickname for my ex-wife.

Dude! I just like laughed my *********g ass off!

"death box"

How depressing...

Glad to know she's your ex now, rofl :D

mpfef
Feb 8, 2011, 10:33 PM
Seriously, who squeezes their phone like that? (Death Grip OR Death Hug)

I heard if you put the phone in a lead box, the signal attenuates too.

johnnymg
Feb 8, 2011, 10:38 PM
Just another hit whore blog. I'm only surprised that people pay attention to these JA's. :confused:

cheers
JohnG

Mobster Sauce
Feb 8, 2011, 10:46 PM
Seriously, who squeezes their phone like that? (Death Grip OR Death Hug)

I heard if you put the phone in a lead box, the signal attenuates too.

The first test was not squeezed like that and they lost a lot of signal and data slowed down.

The second test was to test WIFI signal loss and of course they're gonna test it by seeing if it can be done.

You guys don't understand what TEST means.

If I hold my iPhone "normally" I lose signal. I have to hold it "abnormally" for it to work right. By "abnormal" I mean I have to consciously remember not to touch that little black line on the side. So instead of using my iPhone comfortably, I have to make an effort to avoid certain areas when holding it. That's messed up.

tsolt
Feb 8, 2011, 10:46 PM
who cares about the "issue".. because its not really an issue. If you hold your phone like that and hug it with your palm that tight then I feel sorry for you.

MacCheetah3
Feb 8, 2011, 10:55 PM
Hi
It all depends on the strength level. Bars are not a unit of measurement, and every phone displays them differently. You're obviously in an area of good signal strength. If you take your phone to an area that has lower strength, but still enough to show full bars, then do the "hug" test, it will drop more than one bar.
Precisely! There's a lot of good info here but I'd like to highlight...

"When you are actually on a call, the phone doesn't have to guess the effective signal quality - it's in two-way communication, and is constantly exchanging bit error rate (BER) information with the tower. In other words, it knows how reliably it is receiving data from the tower, and it knows how reliably the tower is receiving data from it."

http://ask.metafilter.com/60227/What-do-cell-phone-reception-bars-mean#1199500

Makes a really good point. Not too many tested the iPhone 4 during a call. Of course, with VZ, it isn't possible to use data and voice simultaneously. Still some interesting tidbits.

elhungarian
Feb 8, 2011, 10:56 PM
refund of the $30 bumper i just bought? sweet lol

gkarris
Feb 8, 2011, 10:57 PM
refund of the $30 bumper i just bought? sweet lol

that, and $30 off your next bill... ;)

lPHONE
Feb 8, 2011, 10:58 PM
why do people insist on choking their phones?

peterdevries
Feb 8, 2011, 11:21 PM
The first test was not squeezed like that and they lost a lot of signal and data slowed down.

The second test was to test WIFI signal loss and of course they're gonna test it by seeing if it can be done.

If I hold my iPhone "normally" I lose signal. I have to hold it "abnormally" for it to work right. By "abnormal" I mean I have to consciously remember not to touch that little black line on the side. So instead of using my iPhone comfortably, I have to make an effort to avoid certain areas when holding it. That's messed up.

Give it a rest. I have the iPhone 4 too and always hold it in the death grip when calling and I have NEVER had a dropped call because of the signal degradation that does happen. None of my friends and colleagues that have it experience any problems.

This might be a shock to you but signals fluctuate ALWAYS especially when you are moving. If you would stop staring at those bars, hold your phone in a normal way and would just use it for what it's there for, then you would see that there is no problem!
:rolleyes:

Castiel
Feb 8, 2011, 11:37 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how fanboys get upset whenever people have legitimate complaints about functionality flaws in Apple products. I like my Apple products, but Apple really needs to stop compromising functionality in favor of form factor. In regards to designing professional and consumer electronics, functionality should always be prioritized as far more important than form factor.
Or it's just how you're looking at it. I think it's more people like this like to find such "flaws" in Apple products because it isn't particularly expected.
But come on, a "death hug" is a legitimate complaint? Hardly.

MacCheetah3
Feb 8, 2011, 11:39 PM
Hi

:: taps on Mobster Sauce's head :: Hmmm... Not quite ripe yet. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103060/quotes?qt0378072) ... I kid, I kid. :) On a serious note; if Apple has it down to just not touching those small antenna gaps, than that's pretty dang good. Please see:

Page 12 - http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/guides/Nokia_6300_UG_en.pdf

Page 34 - http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/guides/Nokia_X6-00_UG_en.pdf

Page 222 - http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201009/20100916050218046/SPH-D700_UG_DG27_PS_081710_F7_with_patent_fix.pdf

Page 13 - http://member.america.htc.com/download/Web_materials/Manual/DROID_ERIS_Verizon/DROID_ERIS_Verizon_English_UM_11_5.pdf

Page 10 - http://member.america.htc.com/download/web_materials/Manual/HTC_Touch_Viva/Opal_HTC_English_UM_1013.pdf

Must I continue, or are you picking up on the similarities? :)

MacCheetah3
Feb 8, 2011, 11:41 PM
Hi
why do people insist on choking their phones?
A longstanding habit. ;) ;)

arkhanjel
Feb 8, 2011, 11:45 PM
Come on! Who holds their phone like that in the first place? Sure if you let your hand have sex with your phone by totally molesting it, you will have signal issues. I have been using an iPhone 4 since the day it came out, and I have never encountered anttenaegate...

Seriously right?!? What's next for these idiots... "Well we stuck my iPhone 4 in a lead box and closed it and it lost all connectivity..." These guys seriously need to let it go already.

machewcoy
Feb 8, 2011, 11:48 PM
Oh dear God, not again.. I swear, who the hell holds their phone like that anyways??? Sorry if you do, I don't mean to be mean, but I PERSONALLY have to INTENTIONALLY hold the phone and grip INCREDIBLY hard to lose any signal at all..

I swear, I bet if we all say that the iPhone (or rather, any "new popular product" for that matter") makes bacon if you hold it upside down with the death grip/hug for longer than 10 minutes while doing jumping jacks and staring at a picture of Megan Fox, I can guarantee you people will try it, and then complain that it doesn't work.. :rolleyes:

Reach9
Feb 8, 2011, 11:49 PM
and because of this.. iPhone 5 will be totally redesigned to get rid of the antenna issue.

MacCheetah3
Feb 8, 2011, 11:51 PM
Hi
My daughter just dropped my Verizon iPhone three feet and the glass broke! Why didn't Apple fix this!

Oh wait she dropped my AT&T iPhone, so that explains why the glass broke.

Crap, she just dropped my Verizon iPhone three feet and the glass broke too!

I may need to file a glass-action suit against Apple, anyone want to join me?
You're a bit late, but maybe you can join in: http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/01/27/iphone-4-glassgate-spawns-a-class-action-lawsuit

ajohnson253
Feb 9, 2011, 12:17 AM
haha this is funny

mrochester
Feb 9, 2011, 01:06 AM
Hi

:: taps on Mobster Sauce's head :: Hmmm... Not quite ripe yet. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103060/quotes?qt0378072) ... I kid, I kid. :) On a serious note; if Apple has it down to just not touching those small antenna gaps, than that's pretty dang good. Please see:

Page 12 - http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/guides/Nokia_6300_UG_en.pdf

Page 34 - http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/guides/Nokia_X6-00_UG_en.pdf

Page 222 - http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201009/20100916050218046/SPH-D700_UG_DG27_PS_081710_F7_with_patent_fix.pdf

Page 13 - http://member.america.htc.com/download/Web_materials/Manual/DROID_ERIS_Verizon/DROID_ERIS_Verizon_English_UM_11_5.pdf

Page 10 - http://member.america.htc.com/download/web_materials/Manual/HTC_Touch_Viva/Opal_HTC_English_UM_1013.pdf

Must I continue, or are you picking up on the similarities? :)

The difference you haven't mentioned it that by touching the areas mentioned in these manuals you simply degrade the signal. With the iPhone 4, you can lose the signal completely by touching the spot on the left hand side. There's a very big difference between simply losing some bars and loosing all bars and having no connectivity at all. This is how it's a flaw in the iPhone 4 design as no one spot on a phone should be able to make you lose all connectivity completely. It should require a complete covering of an antenna to be able to get anywhere near to loosing all signal, yet the iPhone 4 will lose all single with just a fingertip on that spot. That's a major design and functionality failing.

djgamble
Feb 9, 2011, 01:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll just hold mine naturally and avoid all these self-imposed "problems."

ikir
Feb 9, 2011, 01:28 AM
Ohhh no this again... iPhone didn't have any issue as any phone on the planet lower signal is you cover antenna with hands (or other human body parts lol). I've tried like 30 phones and smartphones and all do the same, there is only one who drop much more signal and especially in normal usage: Samsung galaxy S... but all keep talking about iPhone 4 antenna, incredible.
It is completely normal with any phones especially smartphones !!!

ikir
Feb 9, 2011, 01:31 AM
The difference you haven't mentioned it that by touching the areas mentioned in these manuals you simply degrade the signal. With the iPhone 4, you can lose the signal completely by touching the spot on the left hand side. There's a very big difference between simply losing some bars and loosing all bars and having no connectivity at all. This is how it's a flaw in the iPhone 4 design as no one spot on a phone should be able to make you lose all connectivity completely. It should require a complete covering of an antenna to be able to get anywhere near to loosing all signal, yet the iPhone 4 will lose all single with just a fingertip on that spot. That's a major design and functionality failing.

tried with a lot on iPhones 4 in my shop with many operatros, without bumbers, tried with my, my girlfriend and friends one, iPhone 4 sometimes even didn't lose a single bar, covering with 2 fingers. My old Nokia n73 drops from 5 to 0 bars if you old in innatural way it where antenna is placed. Same room, same operator, iPhone drop 1 bar only (from 2 to one). I've bought iPhone4 on day one, so it is not different from others.

mrochester
Feb 9, 2011, 01:45 AM
tried with a lot on iPhones 4 in my shop with many operatros, without bumbers, tried with my, my girlfriend and friends one, iPhone 4 sometimes even didn't lose a single bar, covering with 2 fingers. My old Nokia n73 drops from 5 to 0 bars if you old in innatural way it where antenna is placed. Same room, same operator, iPhone drop 1 bar only (from 2 to one). I've bought iPhone4 on day one, so it is not different from others.

Completely the opposite here. It's my iPhone 4 that'll drop to 'searching' then 'no service' while other phones continue to hold onto the available signal. Combined with how many other people report the same issue on the iPhone 4, and how the issue wasn't present until I got the iPhone 4, I think it's fairly safe to say that it's the iPhone 4 that has the problem!

Can anyone actually name any other phone that can lose so much signal just from a fingertip on a single spot on the device?

inkswamp
Feb 9, 2011, 01:49 AM
This was a non-story on AT&T, and it's still a non-story on Verizon.

I wonder why this received so much attention. I can diminish the signal on my iPhone 3G and my wife's Droid Eris by holding both of them the same way. I wonder what prompted the widespread coverage of the iPhone 4 doing the same?