PDA

View Full Version : ABS and ethernet Mac = no internet

CTYankee
Feb 17, 2005, 01:39 PM
OK...I have the following:
powermac g3 400 (pismo) with airport
ibook g3 900 with airport...$500 at CUSA :)
Powermac G4 DP867 MDD ethernet
Graphite ABS
DIal up internet

I can connect all the computers together on the local network. However if I try to connect the PM to the internet it does not work. I have my settings correct (DHCP) but the PM just won't see the internet. I use the little java app to dial up the modem and it connects, but try to use ichat, mail, safari...nothing. Yet the Ibook and pismo can see get on line just fine. As a local network it works like a charm. Trying to get internet means my ethernet connected PM is blind.

Anyone know anything? Anyone have an airport card to sell?

hmmfe
Feb 17, 2005, 02:07 PM
OK...I have the following:
powermac g3 400 (pismo) with airport
ibook g3 900 with airport...$500 at CUSA :)
Powermac G4 DP867 MDD ethernet
Graphite ABS
DIal up internet

I can connect all the computers together on the local network. However if I try to connect the PM to the internet it does not work. I have my settings correct (DHCP) but the PM just won't see the internet. I use the little java app to dial up the modem and it connects, but try to use ichat, mail, safari...nothing. Yet the Ibook and pismo can see get on line just fine. As a local network it works like a charm. Trying to get internet means my ethernet connected PM is blind.

Anyone know anything? Anyone have an airport card to sell?

Hard to say off-hand without some more info, but usually when the LAN is fine but "the internet" is not I look first to DNS. Open terminal and type "dig www.yahoo.com" (no quotes) and see if you can resolve and also see what reports back as your DNS server (it will be towards the bottom).

hmmfe
Feb 17, 2005, 02:15 PM
oops...

CTYankee
Feb 17, 2005, 09:23 PM
Hard to say off-hand without some more info, but usually when the LAN is fine but "the internet" is not I look first to DNS. Open terminal and type "dig www.yahoo.com" (no quotes) and see if you can resolve and also see what reports back as your DNS server (it will be towards the bottom).

connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Thats all it said.

daveL
Feb 17, 2005, 10:16 PM
can you ping your ISP gateway (router) by IP address? If you can, it sounds like a DNS issue.

TEG
Feb 17, 2005, 11:09 PM
Make sure that your Airport is set as an Ethernet Bridge. Also set the "gateway" on the powermac to the IP address of the Base Station (Usually 10.1.0.0). I ran into the same problem with a snow BS a few years ago.

TEG

CTYankee
Feb 18, 2005, 08:29 AM
Make sure that your Airport is set as an Ethernet Bridge. Also set the "gateway" on the powermac to the IP address of the Base Station (Usually 10.1.0.0). I ran into the same problem with a snow BS a few years ago.

TEG

How do I do that? Also, where do I get the IP for the ABS? When I open airport admin I see a different number there. I'll take screen shots of all my ABS and network settings, maybe that will help.