Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaythebull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
I am getting ready to purchase my first Apple & have decided to go with the MBA 11". As a long time PC user - I've always purchased my PCs/laptops as refurbs from Dell. What is the consensus on a refurb MBA purchased from the Apple store online?

Thanks

jaythebull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
refurbs are great. my iMac, for instance, is one.

IMHO, refurbs are better than new units. if you can get a hold of a refurb, i'd go for it.

Thanks!

The ones that are listed as:
Refurbished MacBook Air 1.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Originally released October 2010

These are the most current ones correct?

Thanks again for your help.

rgs3

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2011
Thanks!

The ones that are listed as:
Refurbished MacBook Air 1.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Originally released October 2010

These are the most current ones correct?

Thanks again for your help.
Yes, these are the latest. +1 on refurbs..and you can pick one up for around $850!

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
Ive bought 2 refurb airs and have a refurb 24" monitor....there is absolutely nothing wrong with these products, and the fact that the warranty is no different than brand new products makes these machines worth it 100 fold. Only time I wont buy refurb is when im buying a "just released" product since refurbs dont exist at that point....

iNeko

macrumors regular
May 13, 2007
England
:D I get my 11" refurb tomorrow and I can't wait; I already have a 16gb usb flash drive full with updates for it so I don't have to download them! I love Apple refurbs, cheap(er than new) and fantastic as they've been tested to higher standards!

russianmob

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
Are you tempted to wait as new new MBA 11" may have larger SSD/RAM?
I'm in the same boat. I purchased the MBA 11" refurb, but upset the new MBA 11" might have 256GB/8GB. I really need the extra space, so i'm torn..

:apple:MBP 2010
:apple:iPad1
:apple:iPhone4
:apple:MBA 11" (for now)

iNeko

macrumors regular
May 13, 2007
England
Russianmob, probably not directed at me, but I'm not bothered about specs, it's ultraportable (what I need in a notebook these days, sadly) and from what I read, quite fast. 11" 128gb refurb cost me the same as the 64gb spec one new, so I'm very happy! :)

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
Are you tempted to wait as new new MBA 11" may have larger SSD/RAM?
I'm in the same boat. I purchased the MBA 11" refurb, but upset the new MBA 11" might have 256GB/8GB. I really need the extra space, so i'm torn..

:apple:MBP 2010
:apple:iPad1
:apple:iPhone4
:apple:MBA 11" (for now)

Doubt you'll be seeing 8GB RAM in MBA anytime soon so I wouldn't stress too much over that

sarends

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2009
We have bought 6 Macs over the past 2 years and all were refurbs. I really don't understand it but they are indistinguishable from new ones. You can buy a refurb with complete confidence.

kapolani

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
USA
I bought my first Mac.

It was a refurbished MacBook Air.

Visually you can't tell that it was used/returned etc.

I would be confident and buy another refurb. I would think that refurbs go through a thorough check (even moreso than a new comp) before being released to the wild.

Buy with confidence!

iNeko

macrumors regular
May 13, 2007
England
:D I got my refurb 11" today (I received the base mid spec one, 1.4/2/128) and it's -fantastic- it's tiny, weighs nothing at all (it weighs less than my iPad and I can't work out how!) and it's pretty damn speedy too! Mega pleased!

s2dio

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Riga, Latvia
I've bought an ultimate 13", new. The bottom makes creaking noises. Hate that. I think I'd better bought a refurb, because a double checked laptop (post-manufacturing quality control + another one before releasing it as a refurbished product) and a thus a solid build quality means a lot more for me, than the glory of opening the new box.

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
I've bought an ultimate 13", new. The bottom makes creaking noises. Hate that. I think I'd better bought a refurb, because a double checked laptop (post-manufacturing quality control + another one before releasing it as a refurbished product) and a thus a solid build quality means a lot more for me, than the glory of opening the new box.

Mine does this too. It also makes a popping noise occasionally. I plan to take it to a genius at some point to ask him to tighten the screws!

s2dio

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Riga, Latvia
guys, sorry for the offtopic.

Mine does this too. It also makes a popping noise occasionally. I plan to take it to a genius at some point to ask him to tighten the screws!

Yep, the popping noise as well. I've bought a pentalobe screwdriver from ifixit, and tried to tighten the screws properly. Didn't solve the problem, but messed up the heads of the screws - the screwdriver doesn't turn them anymore.

I've thoroughly researched this matter and found out that the screws should be put in a special order (the peeps here at macrumors helped me to find the whole macbook air technician guide, here's the link: http://is.gd/A30Ga3). So I ordered original replacement screws through ebay and plan to make it good this time, using the guide and the new screws. If it won't help - I'll take it to the Apple Service Center once again and ask to replace some parts or the whole computer (the first time they tightened the screws and made the creaking slightly less evident, but didn't solve the problem completely).

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
guys, sorry for the offtopic.

Yep, the popping noise as well. I've bought a pentalobe screwdriver from ifixit, and tried to tighten the screws properly. Didn't solve the problem, but messed up the heads of the screws - the screwdriver doesn't turn them anymore.

I've thoroughly researched this matter and found out that the screws should be put in a special order (the peeps here at macrumors helped me to find the whole macbook air technician guide, here's the link: http://is.gd/A30Ga3). So I ordered original replacement screws through ebay and plan to make it good this time, using the guide and the new screws. If it won't help - I'll take it to the Apple Service Center once again and ask to replace some parts or the whole computer (the first time they tightened the screws and made the creaking slightly less evident, but didn't solve the problem completely).

I would be interested in knowing how this works out!

s2dio

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Riga, Latvia
I would be interested in knowing how this works out!

I am currently waiting for the replacement screws to arrive from Hong Kong. It will take a week or two for the package to be delivered. I will then try to screw them in, and then write back about it.

jaythebull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Got the shipping notice last night - looks like it will be here Thursday. Pretty excited - this being my first Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.