Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2003
http://www.apple.com/macosx/

kSOGM.jpg

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I prefer they drop the Mac. Not really needed.

And I bet that sometime in the not-too-distant future, Apple drops the 'Mac' name in their hardware for something else.

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
I agree. It's the beginning of the end for sure. Apple said the we are in a post pc era.... no we aren't.

We just aren't. And if they really merge the iOS with Mac OS X, we can forget about gained marketshare... cause they will bomb.

Windows is now stable enough for me to use on a daily basis. IF more of this ***** continues, the will lose a hardcore grassroots supporter. Me, along with many more.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I agree. It's the beginning of the end for sure. Apple said the we are in a post pc era.... no we aren't.

We just aren't. And if they really merge the iOS with Mac OS X, we can forget about gained marketshare... cause they will bomb.

Windows is now stable enough for me to use on a daily basis. IF more of this ***** continues, the will lose a hardcore grassroots supporter. Me, along with many more.

And what will Apple do without people like you flipping a **** about "Mac" being put in front of OSX.

Here's the funny thing, Apple knows where the market is going and they will continue to kick ass. They've proven to have a wildly successful vision and roadmap with no signs of slowing down. You say the post PC world isn't coming, I say what the hell can you expect otherwise with these devices becoming more popular and third world's main access to the internet (by which I mean mobile devices).

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Anyone remember "System 7"? No "Mac" there either, but also no histrionics from crazed fans that think they're being abandoned. Deal with it.

jW

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2003
By the way, I'm fine with it personally. But I just know some people are gonna freak out over this really minor non-issue.

legolas9811

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Here's the funny thing, Apple knows where the market is going and they will continue to kick ass. They've proven to have a wildly successful vision and roadmap with no signs of slowing down. You say the post PC world isn't coming, I say what the hell can you expect otherwise with these devices becoming more popular and third world's main access to the internet (by which I mean mobile devices).

Well it is true that mobile devices are the most frequently used method to access the internet, last time I checked my imac is not at all a mobile device, and that is why I have it. We continue to use large computers because of the huge advantage they have over mobile computing power, and the operating system should reflect that. I am considering switching back to windows, just because I would prefer that my desktop operating system remains a desktop operating system that takes advantage of what it is, not a mobile operating system reflecting the way mobile devices or used.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I am considering switching back to windows, just because I would prefer that my desktop operating system remains a desktop operating system that takes advantage of what it is, not a mobile operating system reflecting the way mobile devices or used.

I agree

You better hurry though, Windows 8 doesn't look too promising either for us who like to have a little control over our machines.. instead of going wherever they lead us.:rolleyes:

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
I agree

You better hurry though, Windows 8 doesn't look too promising either for us who like to have a little control over our machines.. instead of going wherever they lead us.:rolleyes:

In fact, Windows 8 has put the normal desktop OS paradigm as far away as possible, where Lion only adds the mobile-like interface as an "extra". This means that Lion is better than Windows 8 in this respect. At least that's how I see it.

My first thought upon seeing "Mac" dropped was that the day is soon coming when Apple will be a mobile company only with no desktops.

Apple could release OS X to be installed on Intel hardware from other manufacturers for us dinosaurs that still want a desktop while they concentrate on iOS for "Arm" iDevices and OS X Lion for "Arm" based notebooks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think you're reading too much into it. I never say that I want Mac OSX 10.6 or Mac OSX 10.7. Most people don't put the word mac in front of it, so why should apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.