PDA

View Full Version : Making Lion Act More Like Snow Leopard

MacRumors
Jul 25, 2011, 09:00 AM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/25/making-lion-act-more-like-snow-leopard/)

Since Lion's release, we've been collecting tips on reverting changes found in Lion back to behavior found in Snow Leopard. Now some might argue its better to get used to the stock installation, but if that's not you, here are the tips we've seen.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/scroll1-500x398.png

(http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/scroll1.png)
- Natural Scroll: This change seems to have generated the most outcry. In Lion, Apple has reversed the normal scrolling direction for trackpads and scroll wheels. In the past, the metaphor has been that swiping down has caused the page to scroll up. Now, swiping down means scrolling down. It takes a few days to get used to, but if you can't there's an option to revert back.

- Key Repeat: @mikeindustries (http://twitter.com/#!/mikeindustries/status/94476146225324032) (requires Terminal):To turn off Lion's stupid ban on key repeating, quit apps and type "defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false" in Terminal.- New Window Animations: @tomasf (http://twitter.com/#!/tomasf/status/95231262624710656) (requires Terminal):Want to turn off window opening animations in Lion? defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO- Don't Save: @tomasf (https://twitter.com/#!/tomasf/status/95253317265010688) (requires Terminal): Restore ?D to mean "Don't Save" in Lion! defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSSavePanelStandardDesktopShortcutOnly -bool YES
- Resume: Disable resume (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/20/how-to-disable-lions-resume-feature/) in Lion.

- Spaces: Assigning apps (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/21/lion-assigning-apps-to-all-desktops-in-mission-control/) to one space or all spaces.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/classic-mail.jpg

- Classic Mail: Lion's Mail takes on a distinct iOS look, but the classic Mac OS X Mail look is available through a checkbox preference in Mail.

- Front Row: Mad Hatter (http://www.mac-hatter.com/blog/frontrowenablerforlion) has instructions on how to re-enable FrontRow on Lion, though we've heard some mixed results about it working.

- LimeiBook86 posts (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1192033) some instructions which duplicate ones we have shown here, but also includes restoring Finder Window's Path and Status Bar as well as turning off Dashboard as a space.

Article Link: Making Lion Act More Like Snow Leopard (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/25/making-lion-act-more-like-snow-leopard/)

adztaylor
Jul 25, 2011, 09:03 AM
Here's an idea, rather than make Lion act like Snow Leopard. Stick to Snow Leopard.

Nikos
Jul 25, 2011, 09:05 AM
Only thing that kind of bothered me was the lack of key repeat, thanks for that tip!

jelly
Jul 25, 2011, 09:06 AM
Anyone figure out how to make the mouse wake the computer from sleep? This is a major annoyance for me.

ukbandit
Jul 25, 2011, 09:08 AM
And you upgraded because.......

Tastydirt
Jul 25, 2011, 09:10 AM
Anyone figure out how to make the mouse wake the computer from sleep? This is a major annoyance for me.

Just requires a click instead of mouse movement for me, IMO this is much better as it greatly reduces the chance of accidentally waking your Mac up.

GSPice
Jul 25, 2011, 09:10 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here's an idea, rather than make Lion act like Snow Leopard. Stick to Snow Leopard.

Answers like this don't require any critical thinking or intellectual honesty. It's the kind of stuff people skip over in google's search results.

Dragonforce
Jul 25, 2011, 09:12 AM
... to have the most recent security updates and fixes.

adztaylor
Jul 25, 2011, 09:13 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Answers like this don't require any critical thinking or intellectual honesty. It's the kind of stuff people skip over in google's search results.

Why upgrade an OS only to search tirelessly to get it back to how it was before? Seems pretty pointless. Also seems your contribution to this thread is pretty limited too, the irony being that people would skip over your comment.

dustinsc
Jul 25, 2011, 09:13 AM
Anyone happen to know how to restore pinch-to-zoom in the finder (to resize icons) in Snow Leopard? I'm hoping Better Touch Tool can at least address this in a future revision.

iwan073
Jul 25, 2011, 09:14 AM
Some people really don't like change, now do they?

dustinsc
Jul 25, 2011, 09:15 AM
Why upgrade an OS only to search tirelessly to get it back to how it was before? Seems pretty pointless. Seems your contribution to this thread is pretty limited too.

Some people like the new features in Lion with a few exceptions. There are a few quirky things, but overall I like the new features in Lion. I do, however, want to fix those quirky things.

Luis Ortega
Jul 25, 2011, 09:15 AM
Is there any info on whether Lion has any actual performance improvements over SL, rather than pointless ios gimmicks?
Is it better at exploiting multiple cores, gpus, ram, etc.?
All I hear about is gimmicks that ape ios. With SL, they focused on making the os exploit the power of the computer better.

AAPLaday
Jul 25, 2011, 09:17 AM

Only if its for the better ;)

King Flamez1
Jul 25, 2011, 09:18 AM
Is there any info on whether Lion has any actual performance improvements over SL, rather than pointless ios gimmicks?
All I hear about is gimmicks that ape ios. With SL, they focused on making the os exploit the power of the computer better.

all of the applications are 64-bit supported (not 100% sure about this one), it would also be able to handle the "retina displays" in the future. and a big security update

talmy
Jul 25, 2011, 09:19 AM
I'd like to get Snow Leopard's full screen operation back since I've got multiple monitors. Also desire the old Spaces and Expose. Alas, I don't expect any of this. :(

nixonhead
Jul 25, 2011, 09:25 AM
The most stupidest things that i ever hear is articles "how make new thing work like old". Apple always was company with advanced technology. If Apple change something they always know why and because. The things like that "make new works like old" the same if you says: I hate new internal combustion engine! I want to make it work like steam-engine!! :rolleyes:

New scroll is offbeat only for 1-2 days maximum! Than it will becomes a habit.

"Turn off Lion's stupid ban on key repeating"?? I you kidding me?? :eek: This is the one of the small and useful function, than F.. Windows will never had.

"Disable resume in Lion"! :eek: Sure! Thank Steve, that you add disable function for your new great OS, now all people around the world can turn it off!! Btw who can tell me how to disable stupidest touchscreen on my iPad?

So, dear Mac users, if you are true :apple: user remember - all new functions is always look strange (because they new), but after some time, you will accustomed and THIS new functions became a great canyon between your Mac and others pfsht.

ChrisH3677
Jul 25, 2011, 09:27 AM
Anyone know how to stop the slide animation when switching desktops?

It used to be possible in previous Mac OS X with a defaults write.

nixonhead
Jul 25, 2011, 09:29 AM

FOR WHAT?? FOR WHAT you want disable all than HUGE Apple team is inviting for you?? I don't understand this people at all! :confused:

King Flamez1
Jul 25, 2011, 09:29 AM

like the 3 finger swipe on the trackpad?

RoelJuun
Jul 25, 2011, 09:30 AM

OpenGL upgrade? 64 bit iTunes?

talmy
Jul 25, 2011, 09:31 AM

Definite Real World performance improvement for users that make use of the auto-save and resume features by not quitting applications (use command W and never command Q). Everyone gets the more efficient 64-bit kernel code. It's up to applications to make use of the multiple cores and GPUs. Luckily I've got enough "Lionized" applications in my workflow that I can see definite productivity improvements already -- and productivity improvements beat out synthetic benchmarks of performance any day.

Kilamite
Jul 25, 2011, 09:33 AM
I want my 4 finger swipes back to the way they were. And I want CMD+H to properly hide an application by putting it the end of the CMD+TAB list.

Other than that, I'm happy with Lion.

RebootD
Jul 25, 2011, 09:33 AM

FOR WHAT?? FOR WHAT you want disable all than HUGE Apple team is inviting for you?? I don't understand this people at all! :confused:

Because for some people time = money and the less time spent with fancy animations means more productivity. Some people work on these machines.

nixonhead
Jul 25, 2011, 09:35 AM
Because for some people time = money and the less time spent with fancy animations means more productivity. Some people work on these machines.

If you have slow Mac don't install Lion! Or upgrade the Mac

Kilamite
Jul 25, 2011, 09:38 AM
"Turn off Lion's stupid ban on key repeating"?? I you kidding me?? :eek: This is the one of the small and useful function, than F.. Windows will never had.

It's a reasonable thing that people would want to turn again.

"Disable resume in Lion"! :eek: Sure! Thank Steve, that you add disable function for your new great OS, now all people around the world can turn it off!! Btw who can tell me how to disable stupidest touchscreen on my iPad?

Resume might be useful to some, but I don't want my last used things to reappear when I re-open that app. Might have personal stuff there, or open a document that you don't want to work on, so you end up having to close it anyway.

So, dear Mac users, if you are true :apple: user remember - all new functions is always look strange (because they new), but after some time, you will accustomed and THIS new functions became a great canyon between your Mac and others pfsht.

I'm not a 'true' Apple user by your definition, but I'm a power user. And small changes like ones described here can really interrupt my workflow. Whether I have to "re-learn" isn't always the case, I've got my workflow adapted to how previous OS X versions worked. Lion has changed a lot of that, some for the better, some of the worse.

AppleDroid
Jul 25, 2011, 09:39 AM

I had a witty reply but the block list seems a much easier solution.

utwarreng
Jul 25, 2011, 09:39 AM
I'd love to know how to do "Save As..." in Preview. Now when I look at a PDF from the web that I want to save in a different spot, I have to Duplicate, and then Save a copy.

Beforehand it was just "Save As..." and then rename.

Minor annoyance.

ChrisH3677
Jul 25, 2011, 09:43 AM
The most stupidest things that i ever hear is articles "how make new thing work like old". Apple always was company with advanced technology. If Apple change something they always know why and because.

The most stupidest things that i ever hear is people who blindly accept everything Apple does as the best way.

Just because Apple "know why and because" they've made a change, doesn't make it right. And certainly not right for everyone.

Check your EULA. There is no condition of owning Apple products that you must agree with and like everything Apple does.

pavcorr
Jul 25, 2011, 09:45 AM
ok, first of all, I really dig Lion... I can see some great improvement in their interface (except for natural scrolling).

The is one thing I dont know if its missing or its me who just cant find a workaround.... it worked on snow leopard.

The issue im talking about is:
Whenever working on finder, especially browsing folders, I could swipe (2 or 3) finger in order to go back or forward. Now I have to select the back key :(

anyone else find this annoying? I so got used to this shortcut that now I missed it.

Is there any workaround so to reapply this function?

Thanks guys!!

thepumpkinking
Jul 25, 2011, 09:47 AM
Unless you have machines that you cannot, for various reasons, upgrade to Lion. So now every time you get used to scrolling one way it's a pain to go work on the other machine.

There are many reasons people may ask for things that you don't see need for. Just because you can't understand doesn't mean you can pass judgement on people. Think before you type. :rolleyes:

thepumpkinking
Jul 25, 2011, 09:49 AM
Whenever working on finder, especially browsing folders, I could swipe (2 or 3) finger in order to go back or forward. Now I have to select the back key :(

I too would love to have that feature back. Not sure why it disappeared as it doesn't seem to have been replaced by anything else.

John.B
Jul 25, 2011, 09:50 AM
Maybe you didn't get the memo, but there are seriously cool security enhancements in Lion as well as that whole iCloud thing coming in iOS 5 in September, not to mention document revisions and a very cool new implementation of FileVault. Just to name a few.

I'll never understand people who insist on dictating how others should use their computers... :rolleyes:

talmy
Jul 25, 2011, 09:52 AM
Resume might be useful to some, but I don't want my last used things to reappear when I re-open that app. Might have personal stuff there, or open a document that you don't want to work on, so you end up having to close it anyway.

The "problem" is you need to adapt to the new paradigm. Don't close the application (command-Q), but instead close the window (command-W) and that personal stuff won't reappear.

I'd love to know how to do "Save As..." in Preview. Now when I look at a PDF from the web that I want to save in a different spot, I have to Duplicate, and then Save a copy.

Minor annoyance.

Having to Duplicate and then Save (or close the new window) to do a Save As does seem annoying at first, I must admit, but it is an understandable technique which matches what one already has to do in Finder. Particularly in editors there is a conceptual problem with "Save As" in that if you continue editing you are editing the new file and not the original file. With Duplicate this issue goes away as you have two windows, one for each document.

buckers
Jul 25, 2011, 09:54 AM
Interested to see if there'll be a follow up post on how to make Snow Leopard more like Lion.

ChrisH3677
Jul 25, 2011, 09:55 AM
like the 3 finger swipe on the trackpad?

Nah. I just don't like having the animation when I change desktops by app switching. I work on a 27" screen and it's very annoying, disruptive and causes eye strain. I'm developing the habit to look away when i switch apps that change desktops.

When you swipe, it's a slow transition so not as abrasive. But when i change apps and they're on different desktops, it zings across rapidly which is visually irritating.

On previous OS X, I had the animation when switching spaces disabled, which meant there's no visual interruption or disruption.

Mrguidogenio
Jul 25, 2011, 09:56 AM
I too would love to have that feature back. Not sure why it disappeared as it doesn't seem to have been replaced by anything else.

I use BetterTouchTool to enable this.

babby
Jul 25, 2011, 10:01 AM
When you shut down your computer or restart, there is an option checked by default to reopen your open windows when logging in. I have looked for a way to have that box unchecked by default but cannot find it.

I usually have a lot of windows open and it takes forever for them to all open up when I turn my computer back on. Most of the windows I don't need open. I know it is easy to uncheck the box, but I would rather have the box unchecked by default. If I want all the windows open when I resume working I just shut the lid on my macbook to put it to sleep.

I can see why this feature is useful and will make use of it from time to time but would be nice to have a default option either way.

dvasa
Jul 25, 2011, 10:03 AM
Maybe you didn't get the memo, but there are seriously cool security enhancements in Lion as well as that whole iCloud thing coming in iOS 5 in September, not to mention document revisions and a very cool new implementation of FileVault. Just to name a few.

I'll never understand people who insist on dictating how others should use their computers... :rolleyes:

this is exactly what apple does to us....annoys the cr*ap out of me!

parapup
Jul 25, 2011, 10:11 AM
Sadly there doesn't seem to be an "app" for fixing VPN that Lion broke by not recognizing my USB token.

Stella
Jul 25, 2011, 10:19 AM

For Magic Mouse - and probably other BT mice:
"Allow blue tooth device to wake up computer" - in BT preferences.

Additional:
iSync - copy your SL iSync.app to Lion, and you'll be syncing your non Apple phone once more.

nagromme
Jul 25, 2011, 10:21 AM
Be careful about changing that Command-D shortcut: it has always also been the shortcut for saving to Desktop, and now, since Lion has removed an extra step from the Save process, you might not want those two functions to share a key!

I’ll stick with Lion’s Command-Delete. It’s already a habit from the Finder anyway.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/07/21/save-sheet-shortcuts

the8thark
Jul 25, 2011, 10:21 AM
Anyone know how to remove/disable the rubber band scrolling effect in Lion?

slicecom
Jul 25, 2011, 10:23 AM
The only one I'll use is the key repeat one. Overall I'm happy with most of the changes in Lion.

the8thark
Jul 25, 2011, 10:25 AM
The most stupidest things that i ever hear is people who blindly accept everything Apple does as the best way.
Apple gave you the option to have things the new or the old way. Be grateful. Apple could have said "the new way, like it or lump it". But they did not. They gave you the choice. And I'm glad they did.

And the Apple way is the best way (this time). Cause Apple have you the choice (old or new).

GooMan
Jul 25, 2011, 10:28 AM
Stick to Snow Leopard.

Exactly what I am doing.

John.B
Jul 25, 2011, 10:29 AM
Did you even read the original article? :eek:

Skika
Jul 25, 2011, 10:30 AM
I like to move forward so i enjoy Lion as it is.

nagromme
Jul 25, 2011, 10:31 AM

Adds great features, charges very little for them, and lets you pick and choose the ones you want? :p

strabes
Jul 25, 2011, 10:31 AM
ok, first of all, I really dig Lion... I can see some great improvement in their interface (except for natural scrolling).

The is one thing I dont know if its missing or its me who just cant find a workaround.... it worked on snow leopard.

anyone else find this annoying? I so got used to this shortcut that now I missed it.

Is there any workaround so to reapply this function?

Thanks guys!!

Change the "Swipe between pages" gesture to "Swipe with two or three fingers"

strabes
Jul 25, 2011, 10:32 AM

See my above post.

xheathen
Jul 25, 2011, 10:36 AM
The main issue I have is that you can't go back to Snow Leopard with the new Mac Mini or Mac Book Air.

newagemac
Jul 25, 2011, 10:45 AM
Unless you have machines that you cannot, for various reasons, upgrade to Lion. So now every time you get used to scrolling one way it's a pain to go work on the other machine.

There are many reasons people may ask for things that you don't see need for. Just because you can't understand doesn't mean you can pass judgement on people. Think before you type. :rolleyes:

Instead of switching Lion to Snow Leopard's scrolling behavior, you could just switch Snow Leopard to Lion's behavior. I use BetterTouchTool for that. Then all your computers as well as any smartphones, iPods, and tablets you own will all have the same natural scrolling behavior.

raybo
Jul 25, 2011, 10:46 AM
I can't seem to figure out how to go from picture to picture - in iPhoto, or on a web page. With Snow Leopard I could use the Logitech forward and backward buttons on the side, or swipe left or right with the Magic Mouse. It appears that those options have been removed.

Ray

*LTD*
Jul 25, 2011, 10:49 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Pointless. Like the vampires in Twilight.

You get Lion..... only to make it work like SL.

chaosbunny
Jul 25, 2011, 10:52 AM

One day one has to upgrade because sooner or later one will want to use a program that only runs within Lion. I bookmarked this thread for that day. ;)

I have no use for full-screen stuff on my 27" and 30" monitors, I don't want stuff I do not need anymore to load when I boot my computer, I don't use a magic mouse or magic trackpad for input on my desktops so I don't want this reverse scrolling and I certainly don't want to use iCloud.

ghostlines
Jul 25, 2011, 10:53 AM
People don't like change, but I think they should just test out what Apple has brought to the table for a decent amount of time before they revert to SL settings. I love cmd tabbing or swiping through full screen apps. I can only focus one thing at a time any, Apple's implementation of full screen apps is great.

But at least Apple allowed some default write commands to mimic the behavior of their older OS. I guess they knew people would kick up about some features.

I'm liking the new features, and don't have any problems so far except the battery life issue. Oh and that stupid issue with full screen apps not revealing the dock fast enough when you go the the edge of the screen.

Lion isn't out even for a week and people are trying to go back to SL settings so quickly, WTF!

autrefois
Jul 25, 2011, 11:00 AM
The only one I'll use is the key repeat one. Overall I'm happy with most of the changes in Lion.

While I can understand people wanting the key repeat back, I'm very happy with the change.

Now if you want to insert accents or special letters (é, æ, etc.) all you have to do is press the letter and hold. Instead of the letter you're holding repeating, there's a menu that comes up where you can click on the character you want or type the corresponding number and it will fill it in for you.

Hadn't heard about this feature — it's very useful for people typing in foreign languages on a US keyboard and is reminiscent of the feature on the iPhone where you hold the letter to select accented letters.

Glad I read this article and tried it out to see what happened when you try to do key repeat. It's good that there's a way to revert to the old behavior for those who want to, but I'm happy with the new feature that replaces it.

adztaylor
Jul 25, 2011, 11:04 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Pointless. Like the vampires in Twilight.

You get Lion..... only to make it work like SL.

Exactly

One day one has to upgrade because sooner or later one will want to use a program that only runs within Lion. I bookmarked this thread for that day. ;)

That "one day" will be sometime off.

smallnshort247
Jul 25, 2011, 11:08 AM
Yeah, there are some things I really miss from Snow Leopard but I'm not going to try to make Lion be Snow Leopard. The only stock change I messed around with was the "normal" scrolling option.

the8thark
Jul 25, 2011, 11:14 AM

By that day we will have 10.8 and people will cry and want 10.8 to work like 10.7. Just like people back in the day wanted 10.5 to look and work like 10.4. The cycle never ends.

KennethS
Jul 25, 2011, 11:17 AM
While I can understand people wanting the key repeat back, I'm very happy with the change.

Now if you want to insert accents or special letters (é, æ, etc.) all you have to do is press the letter and hold. Instead of the letter you're holding repeating, there's a menu that comes up where you can click on the character you want or type the corresponding number and it will fill it in for you.

Hadn't heard about this feature — it's very useful for people typing in foreign languages on a US keyboard and is reminiscent of the feature on the iPhone where you hold the letter to select accented letters.

Glad I read this article and tried it out to see what happened when you try to do key repeat. It's good that there's a way to revert to the old behavior for those who want to, but I'm happy with the new feature that replaces it.

That is awesome -- thanks for pointing that feature out. I am glad to give up the key repeat for that!

bigmikeinnj
Jul 25, 2011, 11:20 AM
I ran into my first "speed bump" today.
I'm a retired chef (among other things) and over the years have written hundreds of recipes. While in Chef School I used WORD, then later switched over to Apple Works. Before Friday I had the latest version of Snow Leopard and all my Apple Works and WORD files worked - now when I try to open one I get a message telling me Lion does not support Power PC applications.
I figured my old copy of MS Office needed a replacement, but wow not being able to update all my Apple Works documents to the new version... OUCH

Can anyone help me out here. Yeah I found and am using I Works but what about all those old Apple Works Files ??

jb510
Jul 25, 2011, 11:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Re-enabling "Don't Save" makes me _very_ happy. That been driving me nuts. The rest are nice too.

It took me about an hour to get used to natural scrolling and it feels "right".

Getting used to the new mail interface tool a few days and I am not 100% settled on it, but have gone from generally disliking it to generally liking it... Might even try switching to sparrow now that it doesn't seem so different.

The one thing I do wish is that the scroll bars appeared on hover... I find it awkward that I have to start scrolling before they'll even appear.

shartypants
Jul 25, 2011, 11:39 AM
I really wish Apple didn't let you go back to the original scrolling direction. Now when I go over to someone else's machine, and they reverted back to the original direction, it will be quite frustrating. Come on people, don't be lazy, just take the few days hit, please, for the rest of us.

bigmikeinnj
Jul 25, 2011, 11:40 AM
I'm a retired chef (among other things) and over the years have written hundreds of recipes. While in Chef School I used WORD, then later switched over to Apple Works. Before Friday I had the latest version of Snow Leopard and all my Apple Works and WORD files worked - now when I try to open one I get a message telling me Lion does not support Power PC applications.
I figured my old copy of MS Office needed a replacement, but wow not being able to update all my Apple Works documents to the new version... OUCH

Can anyone help me out here. Yeah I found and am using I Works but what about all those old Apple Works Files ??

Well cudos to APPLE HELP. I figured out how to FIND a recipe file and change the application that would open it, at that time had a chance to change all old Apple Works files to do that automatically. PHEW...

That's great, I would have been very *crewed if I could not get at those files.
To read up on this check topic
CHOOSE AN APPLIATION TO OPEN A DOCUMENT...

MLayser
Jul 25, 2011, 11:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/25/making-lion-act-more-like-snow-leopard/)

Since Lion's release, we've been collecting tips on reverting changes found in Lion back to behavior found in Snow Leopard. Now some might argue its better to get used to the stock installation, but if that's not you, here are the tips we've seen.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/scroll1-500x398.png

(http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/scroll1.png)
- Natural Scroll: This change seems to have generated the most outcry. In Lion, Apple has reversed the normal scrolling direction for trackpads and scroll wheels. In the past, the metaphor has been that swiping down has caused the page to scroll up. Now, swiping down means scrolling down. It takes a few days to get used to, but if you can't there's an option to revert back.

- Key Repeat: @mikeindustries (http://twitter.com/#!/mikeindustries/status/94476146225324032) (requires Terminal):To turn off Lion's stupid ban on key repeating, quit apps and type "defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false" in Terminal.- New Window Animations: @tomasf (http://twitter.com/#!/tomasf/status/95231262624710656) (requires Terminal):Want to turn off window opening animations in Lion? defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO- Don't Save: @tomasf (https://twitter.com/#!/tomasf/status/95253317265010688) (requires Terminal): Restore ?D to mean "Don't Save" in Lion! defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSSavePanelStandardDesktopShortcutOnly -bool YES
- Resume: Disable resume (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/20/how-to-disable-lions-resume-feature/) in Lion.

- Spaces: Assigning apps (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/21/lion-assigning-apps-to-all-desktops-in-mission-control/) to one space or all spaces.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/classic-mail.jpg

- Classic Mail: Lion's Mail takes on a distinct iOS look, but the classic Mac OS X Mail look is available through a checkbox preference in Mail.

- Front Row: Mad Hatter (http://www.mac-hatter.com/blog/frontrowenablerforlion) has instructions on how to re-enable FrontRow on Lion, though we've heard some mixed results about it working.

- LimeiBook86 posts (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1192033) some instructions which duplicate ones we have shown here, but also includes restoring Finder Window's Path and Status Bar as well as turning off Dashboard as a space.

Article Link: Making Lion Act More Like Snow Leopard (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/25/making-lion-act-more-like-snow-leopard/)

Correction:
• Natural Scroll: This change seems to have generated the most outcry. In Lion, Apple has reversed the normal scrolling direction for trackpads and scroll wheels. In the past, the metaphor has been that swiping down has caused the page to scroll down. Now, swiping down means scrolling up. It takes a few days to get used to, but if you can't there's an option to revert back.

toogoodius
Jul 25, 2011, 11:47 AM
I too would love to get the old spaces back. Why would a new OS not support this feature and gratuitously replace it with an apparently less intuitive alternative?

Before anybody asks why I upgraded well it's because mail in my copy of Snow Leopard had bugs which made it just about completely unusable. My office system requires that I use an exchange server, which Snow Leopard was supposed to support, and the only way to cure the problems seemed to be by (paying to) upgrade to Lion (or go back to Leopard).

But, I positively hate the 'Mission Control' (who comes up with these stupid names?!) and would dearly love to be working back in 'spaces'...

ps, I am one of those heretic types that uses a proper mouse (with two buttons) and there was real functional advantages with using this sort of mouse in spaces. Mission control is just cumbersome in comparison.

HEEEEELP!!!! If anybdy can....

pavcorr
Jul 25, 2011, 11:58 AM
Change the "Swipe between pages" gesture to "Swipe with two or three fingers"

Thanks Strabes :)

Indeed, you are correct on the fix (not really a fix but a re-direction to enable the above functionality), I just tried it, and it does what I need.

Thank you... hope this works for anyone else trying to enable swiping within folders.

dukebound85
Jul 25, 2011, 12:00 PM

Pages can open appleworks files:) Just hit get info on an appleworks file and change all appleworks files to open with pages and you should be set

chaosbunny
Jul 25, 2011, 12:05 PM
I really wish Apple didn't let you go back to the original scrolling direction. Now when I go over to someone else's machine, and they reverted back to the original direction, it will be quite frustrating. Come on people, don't be lazy, just take the few days hit, please, for the rest of us.

Too bad not everyone wants to use his machine the way you like it to be. :rolleyes:

mph206
Jul 25, 2011, 12:06 PM
Anyone know how to remove/disable the rubber band scrolling effect in Lion?

Go to "System Preferences", "Universal Access", and in the "Mouse & Trackpad" tab click trackpad options and change the scrolling setting to "without inertia" :)

I don't know if this works equally for mice, as I'm using a trackpad.

Kilamite
Jul 25, 2011, 12:07 PM
The "problem" is you need to adapt to the new paradigm. Don't close the application (command-Q), but instead close the window (command-W) and that personal stuff won't reappear.

Good solution...

Apple gave us a way to turn Resume off, so I've turned it off. No problem anymore for me.

OllyW
Jul 25, 2011, 12:17 PM

If all of the computers that I use ran Lion I would probably give a chance but it's only loaded on my iMac. My MBP, PC and the 2 computers I use at work all have normal scrolling and it would be too confusing to use both styles.

TsunamiTheClown
Jul 25, 2011, 12:20 PM
mission control...the jury's still out here...i'll contact Steve and see what he thinks.

quatermass
Jul 25, 2011, 12:35 PM
Now if someone can tell me how to get Freehand to run in Lion, I'll upgrade. No more Rosetta = no Freehand = Bad Thing. That's the only part of Lion that I'd want to be like Snow Leopard - all the rest looks fine / bearable / easy to change.

And no, I don't want to "upgrade" to Illustrator instead - I enjoy being productive! I'd rather go back to scratching on the wall of my cave with a burnt stick than use that abomination!

RatherDashing42
Jul 25, 2011, 12:38 PM
Is there any way to disable the page turning animation in iCal? It's slow and annoying.

iBug2
Jul 25, 2011, 12:45 PM
Why upgrade an OS only to search tirelessly to get it back to how it was before? Seems pretty pointless. Also seems your contribution to this thread is pretty limited too, the irony being that people would skip over your comment.

Lion has tons of useful features and tons of stuff which irritates some people. Making some of the parts act like SL doesn't mean that you should stay with SL. Change things you don't like and use the rest.

Dagless
Jul 25, 2011, 12:50 PM
This thread makes me want to give Lion another go.

Before I installed Lion I backed up my whole Snow Leopard drive onto an external drive. Tried Lion for 2 working days and really didn't like how much they changed the little things I relied on so I restored the backup. A lot of them aren't even advancements - they're just sidesteps or they doused so much with iOS-style skins and animations that it just looks horrible and performs poorly.

By all means keep the new features. But give us options to adjust the OS, like what Windows does, that don't require going into Terminal.

The jump between previous Mac OS' and even my own leap from XP to Windows 7 were all fluid transitions. I'm used to change and I love upgrading. But this leap hasn't been so great.

RickyB
Jul 25, 2011, 12:58 PM

Minor annoyance.

Install Adobe Reader and set it as your default.

whooleytoo
Jul 25, 2011, 01:01 PM
The best thing about Apple is their willingness to reject old methods and technologies and replace them with something new and improved.

The worst thing about Apple is their tendency to reject old methods and technologies, and replace them with something new and 'improved'.

Most of us are pro-change, that is until Apple changes a feature we personally liked. No significant OS update is ever going to please everyone, so the best method is to give users the choice of how to configure their OS/apps.

Unfortunately "giving users the choice" isn't always Apple's way of doing things. Thanks a lot for this list, Macrumors!

DCJ001
Jul 25, 2011, 01:03 PM
Front Row: Mad Hatter has instructions on how to re-enable FrontRow on Lion, though we've heard some mixed results about it working. - Use at your own risk, we've heard it has caused problems.
So you heard from one person on Twitter that, once he used the installer to install Front Row in 10.7, Mission Control stopped working. That's a pretty small sample size; isn't it?

I used it, and I'm not having any problems.

Maybe he's something else that's causing the conflict.

GSPice
Jul 25, 2011, 01:34 PM

Why accept responsibility for your own posts? Classic.

For any slightly-above average user, there's a bit more to Lion than the touchy feely stuff. Quit projecting the micro to the macro.

frosty001
Jul 25, 2011, 01:53 PM
I too found all the changes a bit hard to get used to, but i disabled a few until i got to grips with reverse scrolling and mission control. Now i've enabled some more new features and the whole thing feels a lot easier. Reverse scrolling was maddening, but now using my girlfriend's laptop with natural scrolling is maddening...

One thing i think would also be useful to see implemented is a 'private' mode or 'clear history automaticaly' in Quicktime.

Now it gives you thumbnails of all your previously watched videos, which should be a choice. I know the first thing people with think of is porn, but more innocently you might watch PG+ films or shows that are not suitable for your kids, but no matter what folder you have tucked them away in, the app highlights them and gives easy access.

Like i said, it's neat feature and very useful for some, but how hard would it have been to have a preferences for Quicktime to set it to 'do not remember last viewed files'?

macphipsi
Jul 25, 2011, 02:10 PM
Why do so many people care about how others are using Lion?

I personally like it, it works for me. If it doesn't work for you, I completely understand and respect the fact that you aren't compromising. The OS should always be making your life easier. If it doesn't then change the settings.

But all the people condescending about how another user is implementing the OS needs to just get off their soapboxes.

JustinDaigle
Jul 25, 2011, 02:22 PM
Any way to enable Legacy FileVault without having to have SL installed first?

Once I get an iMac in a couple of months, I don't want to have to downgrade it to SL, then upgrade it back to Lion, just to enable this.

Also, don't ask me why I want to do this.
The new FileVault is a disaster on a multi-user system. The old FileVault allowed you to secure your data easily from the other users of your computer, but the only way to do that with Lion is to not allow the other users to boot the computer, which is a headache to say the least.

talmy
Jul 25, 2011, 02:22 PM
Now it gives you thumbnails of all your previously watched videos, which should be a choice. I know the first thing people with think of is porn, but more innocently you might watch PG+ films or shows that are not suitable for your kids, but no matter what folder you have tucked them away in, the app highlights them and gives easy access.

This is why you can set up multiple accounts -- to keep stuff private. And then you can use the parental controls to limit the kids accounts.

The new FileVault is a disaster on a multi-user system. The old FileVault allowed you to secure your data easily from the other users of your computer, but the only way to do that with Lion is to not allow the other users to boot the computer, which is a headache to say the least.

When you enable Lion's FileVault, you can enable access for other user accounts on the machine. Indeed, it would be pretty useless not to do that!

JustinDaigle
Jul 25, 2011, 02:29 PM
When you enable Lion's FileVault, you can enable access for other user accounts on the machine. Indeed, it would be pretty useless not to do that!

Yes, but that gives them access to the encryption keys, and therefore the ability to decrypt my files, which is a gaping security hole, and completely defeats the point of encryption.

Mavimao
Jul 25, 2011, 02:41 PM

Yes, but Macs have been able to do accents on US keyboards using very easy key combinations.

For example, to do é you just hit option+e and then E again. To do à, hit option+` and then A. I find this option to be a lot quicker than holding down and waiting for a menu.

But of course, I can understand how I'm a minority seeing as I speak and write in both English and French. And that I can imagine an American just wanting to add an accent to a word now and then (ex: fiancé) will find this method much more intuitive.

talmy
Jul 25, 2011, 02:49 PM
Yes, but that gives them access to the encryption keys, and therefore the ability to decrypt my files, which is a gaping security hole, and completely defeats the point of encryption.

As long as only you have an account with administrator privileges, the file system protection mechanism will protect you. For anyone with administrator privileges, even the older FileVault wouldn't provide protection because the files are accessible when the user is logged in. For really sensitive data where nobody can be trusted there is no real choice other than a private computer that only you can access and with an encrypted drive (either FileVault will do) for theft protection.

Morod
Jul 25, 2011, 03:24 PM

I really do want to stick to SL, but I also want MobileMe/iCloud access. They are mutually exclusive, so I need to upgrade to Lion.
I just wish I could pay for MM/iCloud access while keeping SL.

scottsjack
Jul 25, 2011, 03:27 PM
The "problem" is you need to adapt to the new paradigm.

OMG, what kind of nonsensical, brainwashed, psychobabble is that?

AppleDroid
Jul 25, 2011, 04:01 PM
Now if someone can tell me how to get Freehand to run in Lion, I'll upgrade. No more Rosetta = no Freehand = Bad Thing. That's the only part of Lion that I'd want to be like Snow Leopard - all the rest looks fine / bearable / easy to change.

And no, I don't want to "upgrade" to Illustrator instead - I enjoy being productive! I'd rather go back to scratching on the wall of my cave with a burnt stick than use that abomination!

Ok I know some of my fellow designers out there cannot let go of dead software but Freehand is your big issue? A piece of software that was abandoned over 8 years ago?

GenesisST
Jul 25, 2011, 04:08 PM
The most stupidest things that i ever hear is articles "how make new thing work like old". Apple always was company with advanced technology. If Apple change something they always know why and because. The things like that "make new works like old" the same if you says: I hate new internal combustion engine! I want to make it work like steam-engine!! :rolleyes:

I use 3 macs and a windows machine: MBP on Lion, home Imac (core duo), work iMac (which stays on SL until further notice). The different would cause me to be committed... :-D

Agreed, never noticed it had changed...

I haven't been encumbered, by it, but disabled for the time being. There are some apps, I don't what this (browser for "online banking" (wink wink) for example).

So, you are only a true :apple: user if you don't modify any of the default settings? So why bother with System Preferences then? Why a Command-, why "defaults"?

Probably the same philosophy that says that switchers are not real :apple: users... You're only a real user if you had the 1984 Mac...

dakwar
Jul 25, 2011, 04:28 PM

really? you have involuntary bowel movements when you're annoyed? sounds bad. ;)

knownikko
Jul 25, 2011, 04:40 PM
The issue I see with UI changes like arbitrarily reversing the scrolling behavior is the "installed base" problem.

I may work differently than most others, but throughout the course of the day I sit down and work at any variety of computers and devices, and there are certain things that my brain automatically "expects" to behave a certain way. Scrolling is one of those things. Keyboard would be another.

Yeah, you can get away with switching to a dvorak keyboard if 1) you pretty much only ever use your own computer, and 2) others pretty much never use your computer. I see scrolling behavior to be basically the same, if not to the same degree.

Maybe it will change in the future (though I strongly doubt it), but right now switching to the alternate scrolling behavior in Lion puts you and your workstation out on its own little island. You likely will be able to switch your own behavior in a couple of days, until you have to sit down at another computer to do something and override all of your newly conditioned behavior.

Too much of a pain for me to bother. Much the same as learning a more efficient keyboard layout.

Kid A
Jul 25, 2011, 04:58 PM

No. Because, iCloud.
(But thanks for playing).

iliria
Jul 25, 2011, 05:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

Correction:
• Natural Scroll: This change seems to have generated the most outcry. In Lion, Apple has reversed the normal scrolling direction for trackpads and scroll wheels. In the past, the metaphor has been that swiping down has caused the page to scroll down. Now, swiping down means scrolling up. It takes a few days to get used to, but if you can't there's an option to revert back.

Can I just clarify because I am getting confused about this scrolling issue. I use a Bamboo Pen and Touch trackpad using 2 fingers to scroll. When I move the two fingers down (towards me) the screen moves up (i.e. if I were reading post 1 in a forum I would be going toward post 9 for example). Is that not the case in Lion?

By the way I use SL at the moment.

cargath
Jul 25, 2011, 05:09 PM
Does anyone know how to disable the animation when opening folders in the Finder by clicking on that arrow beside their icons?

Kevin L.
Jul 25, 2011, 05:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)
The one thing I do wish is that the scroll bars appeared on hover... I find it awkward that I have to start scrolling before they'll even appear.

Easy fix: just go to the System Preferences and look under "General". You'll see "Show Scroll Bars" with three options, one of which is "Always". (This was one of the first settings I adjusted because I use the visual presence of the scroll bars to know if a finder window has icons that I have to scroll over/down to find.)

Kevin L.
Jul 25, 2011, 05:12 PM
Anyone have a link to an Apple-produced user guide for those upgrading to Lion... or something from a third party?

One change that I haven't found mentioned in this thread, or anywhere on the web is the lack of a hard drive icon in the finder sidebar. I see my bootcamp drive and external drives, but how do I open my local hard drive to access system files?

Luis Ortega
Jul 25, 2011, 05:26 PM
Definite Real World performance improvement for users that make use of the auto-save and resume features by not quitting applications (use command W and never command Q). Everyone gets the more efficient 64-bit kernel code. It's up to applications to make use of the multiple cores and GPUs. Luckily I've got enough "Lionized" applications in my workflow that I can see definite productivity improvements already -- and productivity improvements beat out synthetic benchmarks of performance any day.

Wouldn't keeping all programs open in the background eat up resources more?
And don't having all those ios features do the same, like the aero interface impacts windows performance?

jedijoe
Jul 25, 2011, 05:32 PM

How about when you have more than one computer, especially when one is not Lion. At work I have a Linux workstation, I also have a Core Duo Macbook Pro, so no Lion for it. I'd rather have them all the same, instead of switching back and worth depending on whether I'm on my MacPro with Lion or not.

Not every idea Apple has is awesome. LOL.

ELSORSO
Jul 25, 2011, 07:36 PM
works great. thanks @tomasf.

powers74
Jul 25, 2011, 08:09 PM

Unbelievable. I've already become used to the new scrolling and I'm still running Snow Leopard.

DCJ001
Jul 25, 2011, 08:14 PM
Anyone have a link to an Apple-produced user guide for those upgrading to Lion... or something from a third party?

One change that I haven't found mentioned in this thread, or anywhere on the web is the lack of a hard drive icon in the finder sidebar. I see my bootcamp drive and external drives, but how do I open my local hard drive to access system files?

You can drag any folder (including your HD) to the Finder sidebar. If you can't see your hard drive on your desktop, you can change that in Finder preferences.

bocomo
Jul 25, 2011, 09:22 PM
Wouldn't keeping all programs open in the background eat up resources more?
And don't having all those ios features do the same, like the aero interface impacts windows performance?

this review (http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/8#process-model) explains how the OS manages the open apps for better use of resources

the8thark
Jul 25, 2011, 09:22 PM
Correction:

Learn what natural scrolling is.

Natural scrolling = Screen fixed in position and the document is moved.
Snow Leopard scrolling = Document fixed in position and the screen is moved.

So both are just 2 different ways to think about scrolling. Both could be considered "normal". But it's nice the option is there to have it one way or the other.

*LTD*
Jul 25, 2011, 10:13 PM
For the first 10 seconds natural scrolling seemed odd - but only because it was unexpected.

Then the 3 years' experience with iOS (and now a few months with iOS on the iPad 2) kicked in, and it really does feel natural. In fact it makes more sense than the previous way.

Moving content (rather than scrollbars) *is* natural, partly because it's a very spatial thing to do.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 25, 2011, 10:34 PM
Learn what natural scrolling is.

Natural scrolling = Screen fixed in position and the document is moved.

So both are just 2 different ways to think about scrolling. Both could be considered "normal". But it's nice the option is there to have it one way or the other.
That is my though on it.
Personally if I am using a mouse wheel or a track bad then the scroll the way it is in SL is what I expect it to be. If I am touching the screen then iOS would be more natural.
For the first 10 seconds natural scrolling seemed odd - but only because it was unexpected.

Then the 3 years' experience with iOS (and now a few months with iOS on the iPad 2) kicked in, and it really does feel natural. In fact it makes more sense than the previous way.

Moving content (rather than scrollbars) *is* natural, partly because it's a very spatial thing to do.

It is if you are using touch screen but when you move it to an outside device (say a mouse) it is not natural. It goes against what you expect it to be and the way it has been for at least 15 years if not longer. At that point is more or less considered ingrained. If I am touching the screen like in iOS then scrolling that way is fine.

You need to remember many of us have to jump between windows and OSX so having this change is not welcomed and will want to be flipped right back.

ChrisH3677
Jul 25, 2011, 10:52 PM
Apple gave you the option to have things the new or the old way. Be grateful. Apple could have said "the new way, like it or lump it". But they did not. They gave you the choice. And I'm glad they did.

And the Apple way is the best way (this time). Cause Apple have you the choice (old or new).

Um.. Try telling that to the folks who want the old style Spaces. No choice. No options. Apple has said to them "the new way, like it or lump it."

Or try telling it to the ones who don't like Apple's move to all-grey icons. No choice. No options. Apple has said to them "the new way, like it or lump it."

tackyglue
Jul 25, 2011, 10:53 PM

Nixonhead. 3 things.

First, learn english. When you type unintelligible comments, no one takes you seriously.

Second, everyone likes their computer to work the way they want it to. Apple tries to make improvements/changes to the OS that most users will like. That doesn't mean every user has to accept every change. For example, certain cad software I use at work requires key repeats in order to utilise certain commands. I like snow leopard in general, but that one feature really slows me down (thank you macRumors for the fix!) You just have to accept that everyone is different. Window animations? Some people just don't like how it looks. How would you react if I said YOU MUST REPAINT THE WALLS OF YOUR ROOM BRIGHT ORANGE? I would love it, (orange is my favorite color) but you might not. That's why its perfectly reasonable to change the walls back to white.

Third, you are being rude. It doesn't matter WHY people want to know something, so if you have nothing constructive to say GET OUT.

tackyglue
Jul 25, 2011, 11:00 PM
Um.. Try telling that to the folks who want the old style Spaces. No choice. No options. Apple has said to them "the new way, like it or lump it."

Or try telling it to the ones who don't like Apple's move to all-grey icons. No choice. No options. Apple has said to them "the new way, like it or lump it."

I've already changed BOTH of those things back. What are you talking about?

ChrisH3677
Jul 25, 2011, 11:07 PM

You've changed Lion to use the old style Spaces? And for the Finder to use coloured icons in the Sidebar?

Please do share where you found that info, coz no one else here is aware there's a solution - short of switching back to SL.

EraqEE
Jul 26, 2011, 01:38 AM
People should learn the new features in Lion 'cause they will become the norm over time. Better get used to it sooner rather than later.

firetech
Jul 26, 2011, 01:56 AM
For those of you in favor of natural scrolling: Try zooming on Google Maps (or another scroll-zoomable map system). Then it ain't so natural anymore...

chrisflink
Jul 26, 2011, 05:44 AM
What I found most annoying with the new OS X gestures, is that it broke my "three-finger swipe navigation" to navigate back and forward in the browser history in Chrome.
I luckily found a solution. Set the page navigation from two-finger swype to two- or three-finger swipe!

Details:
http://www.chrisflink.nl/mac/restore-three-finger-gesture-navigation-on-os-x-lion

*LTD*
Jul 26, 2011, 06:31 AM
For those of you in favor of natural scrolling: Try zooming on Google Maps (or another scroll-zoomable map system). Then it ain't so natural anymore...

Pinch to Zoom. Treat it the same way as you do on iOS.

OllyW
Jul 26, 2011, 06:38 AM

With a mouse? :confused:

jephrey
Jul 26, 2011, 07:51 AM
I like these major changes... Better or worse, I always like trying to improve my workflow with the new tools given to me. More times than not, I'm finding a faster way to work. I use both a 3D modeling software and Autocad at work and zoom in/zoom out are opposite - maybe this made the transition to natural scrolling easier for me. (and I'll have to try that google earth thing) I do wish that classic pointing devices would revert to window scrolling, but if you have a magic mouse or touchpad type pointer, the two-finger swipe between "spaces" in pretty killer. I also have my G5 mac running Leopard set up right next to my Lion mini and going back and forth on mouse scrolling isn't a big deal. Us humans have an amazing ability to learn.

nerdo
Jul 26, 2011, 08:44 AM
To make my Lion act more like a Snow Leopard I hired Al Pacino, if he can't pull it off.. then we are all doomed!

Smits
Jul 26, 2011, 09:08 AM
Dont know if it was posted here - found a short manual, how to get iSync back http://www.feisar.com/isync_tips.html#Reinstall_iSync tested, working fine ;)

Smits
Jul 26, 2011, 09:37 AM
It might be possible to get rosetta and frontrow back the same way.

Voch
Jul 26, 2011, 09:41 AM
Hmm...I wonder if the lack of key repeating is why I'm having trouble with MouseKeys on my keyboard-only Mac mini that I use for a HTPC.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 26, 2011, 09:55 AM
With a mouse? :confused:

And before he says mighty mouse first thing a lot of people do myself included is toss the Apple mouse in a draw and use a third party mouse.

cargath
Jul 26, 2011, 10:05 AM
The "lack of key-repeating" is actually a feature: If you hold down a letter key, you will get a popup, enabling you to use variations of this letter. For non-US users this is pretty killer: I'm from Germany, and now it is possible for me to get a US-layout keyboard (which is a lot better for coding) without giving up on the ä, ö, ü and ß. In which situation do you need key-repeating anyway? The only one i can think of is the annoying repetition of exclamation / question marks!!!!!111 ;)

diamond.g
Jul 26, 2011, 10:14 AM
So you heard from one person on Twitter that, once he used the installer to install Front Row in 10.7, Mission Control stopped working. That's a pretty small sample size; isn't it?

I used it, and I'm not having any problems.

Maybe he's something else that's causing the conflict.

I have heard that Front Row doesn't work in Lion with iTunes 10.5 installed.

sauron34
Jul 26, 2011, 10:15 AM
Do Anyone knows how to zoom the desktop on Lion? In SL was Ctrl + scroll

slashlos
Jul 26, 2011, 10:27 AM
My trackpad dialog doesn't reveal such a reverse / normal scrolling option:

Anyone know how to accomplish this feat on my system? I typically use an external monitor, M$ scroll wheel mouse and wired keyboard.

Any help appreciated thanks in advance.

paulsalter
Jul 26, 2011, 10:31 AM
My trackpad dialog doesn't reveal such a reverse / normal scrolling option:

Anyone know how to accomplish this feat on my system? I typically use an external monitor, M$ scroll wheel mouse and wired keyboard.

Any help appreciated thanks in advance.

top option in your screenshot

gulfie
Jul 26, 2011, 10:44 AM

Some people just don't like having perfectly good features taken away from them for no clear reason (or benefit).

And as a user of OS X, Linux and Windows - interchangeably, every day - its actually quite useful to have them all behave in broadly the same way around something as simple as scroll bars.

Much as I am first and foremost an Apple (computer) user I find the phrase 'natural scrolling' a tad arrogant, and symptomatic of an approach that takes no heed of its customers. Versions is a particular headache for me as I work in a non-linear fashion and frequently open, modify and then close without saving, deliberately. Versions stops me working the way I've worked for over 20 years. Now I'm not saying the approach is (in the long term) the right one, but you can't introduce such a radical change overnight with no means of turning it off.

Respect the fact that not everybody will just sit there and be told how they can use the computer they paid for (that's why I quit using an iPhone two years ago), and might want a little more control over how they work.

firetech
Jul 26, 2011, 10:49 AM

You're doing it wrong. That will zoom the entire page, not the map view (and it will all be pixelated). At least in Google maps in Safari and Chrome.

After investigating further, it's a matter of preference, and both modes have the same 'naturality' as when scrolling a page. In 'natural' scrolling, you pull the map back and forward.

However, I use way too many non-Macs to be able to use 'natural' scrolling. The only Mac I use is my laptop. Otherwise, I'm a Linux guy and administrator.

'Unnatural' scrolling for me.

gulfie
Jul 26, 2011, 10:49 AM

I think you mean "natural scrolling as defined by anybody but Apple" and for people like me who use multiple operating systems every day, consistency is helpful.

batchtaster
Jul 26, 2011, 10:52 AM

What exactly was the critical thinking or intellectual honesty behind upgrading in the first place? It was there, it was shiny and I had to have it? It's a self-created problem.

"Doctor, it hurts when I go like this."
"Then don't do that."

What people skip over is other people selling a perfectly good Ford Flex to buy a Mustang, then complaining about the luggage space.

talmy
Jul 26, 2011, 11:06 AM
Versions is a particular headache for me as I work in a non-linear fashion and frequently open, modify and then close without saving, deliberately. Versions stops me working the way I've worked for over 20 years. Now I'm not saying the approach is (in the long term) the right one, but you can't introduce such a radical change overnight with no means of turning it off.

The change is indeed radical and involves relearning. I'm not at a Mac at the moment, but I seem to remember a "revert to last opened" that should do what you want, just differently.

The Economist
Jul 26, 2011, 11:08 AM
It's always good to have the option to enable or disable certain things.

I liked most of the new things, except Resume, it can be annoying as hell. Particularly with Preview and Safari; resume was disabled the very same day I installed Lion.

The new way of scrolling is okay for me; I already got used to it.

toogoodius
Jul 26, 2011, 11:12 AM

I could not agree with that more. Spaces was much quicker to use than mission control- esp with a two button mouse. I would change back to Snow Leopard right now if mine hadn't been full of bugs!

toogoodius
Jul 26, 2011, 11:19 AM

Hello,

i'd be extremely grateful if you could tell me how to revert back to the old style spaces....

thanks

accessoriesguy
Jul 26, 2011, 11:29 AM
I could not agree with that more. Spaces was much quicker to use than mission control- esp with a two button mouse. I would change back to Snow Leopard right now if mine hadn't been full of bugs!

yeah thats one thing i'm not excited for, i had a hand swipe using jgrasp to go through my spaces. Way faster than anything on mission control.

The only problem with spaces is that some programs did not always run well with it and it had some minor issues working across different spaces.

They seem to have fixed it now, but it looks more complicated. They should have an option to set up default amount of spaces, or can we already?

slashlos
Jul 26, 2011, 12:30 PM
top option in your screenshot

duh. :o

gugy
Jul 26, 2011, 12:47 PM
Resume: Disable resume (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/20/how-to-disable-lions-resume-feature/) in Lion.

This is not working for me. I did disable it on system preferences like it says above, but when I shut down the computer and start it again all my old windows and apps that I quitted last time the computer was on all come back.
Very annoying thing. I like to start every morning fresh. The only apps I assigned to open at login should do that, but this resume thing brings everything up.
Any ideas in how to fix that?
Thanks!

sauron34
Jul 26, 2011, 12:49 PM
Sorry, the universal zoom is like always, but you have to configure it.

paulsalter
Jul 26, 2011, 12:59 PM
This is not working for me. I did disable it on system preferences like it says above, but when I shut down the computer and start it again all my old windows and apps that I quitted last time the computer was on all come back.
Very annoying thing. I like to start every morning fresh. The only apps I assigned to open at login should do that, but this resume thing brings everything up.
Any ideas in how to fix that?
Thanks!

did you take the tick out of the box that comes up when you shutdown/restart, this is defaulted to on and cannot be changed as a default, you have to remove it every time if you want a fresh start

huntercr
Jul 26, 2011, 01:56 PM

You could try and reinstall Snow Leopard in a VirtualBox VM... then you shoul dbe able to use rosetta. I'm sure someone will also figure out a way to reinstall rosetta if you can wait for it...

Amazing Iceman
Jul 26, 2011, 02:04 PM
The "lack of key-repeating" is actually a feature: If you hold down a letter key, you will get a popup, enabling you to use variations of this letter. For non-US users this is pretty killer: I'm from Germany, and now it is possible for me to get a US-layout keyboard (which is a lot better for coding) without giving up on the ä, ö, ü and ß. In which situation do you need key-repeating anyway? The only one i can think of is the annoying repetition of exclamation / question marks!!!!!111 ;)

Very useful for those times when I fall asleep on top of the keyboard. now my documents don't get damaged.

Amazing Iceman
Jul 26, 2011, 02:09 PM

Well, if you want to save some bucks and get to your files qckly, just install OpenOffice so you could convert your files. Then when the time is right, get either iWork or MS Office or whatever you have in mind.

gugy
Jul 26, 2011, 02:35 PM
did you take the tick out of the box that comes up when you shutdown/restart, this is defaulted to on and cannot be changed as a default, you have to remove it every time if you want a fresh start

Thanks it did help on the apps and windows.
Do you know why Safari still bringing me the last pages I visited?

Also, I did notice when I try to shut down and restart again the box checks itself in again. Is there a way to make it permanent off?

I appreciate your help.

cargath
Jul 26, 2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks it did help on the apps and windows.
Do you know why Safari still bringing me the last pages I visited?

Also, I did notice when I try to shut down and restart again the box checks itself in again. Is there a way to make it permanent off?

I appreciate your help.

Safari seems to be very unpredictable. I quit it, thinking it would reopen my tabs, because i wanted to restart my computer. But it didn't work, my tabs where gone. I tried recreating the situation, quit Safari and restarted with and without remembering open windows, but this time, Safari always remembered my tabs.

What should work for you is quitting Safari while holding the Option-key. This way it should discard all information about open windows.

jonathandlopez
Jul 26, 2011, 03:59 PM
Anyone figure out how to get Mail to have the horizontal bars--where you have the Subject, sender, date ABOVE the message displayed? I hate how it is only used as a sidebar now.

jcheyne
Jul 26, 2011, 04:46 PM
The "lack of key-repeating" is actually a feature: If you hold down a letter key, you will get a popup, enabling you to use variations of this letter. For non-US users this is pretty killer … In which situation do you need key-repeating anyway? The only one i can think of is the annoying repetition of exclamation / question marks!!!!!111 ;)

I agree. Good feature for the diacritical marks. For me, key repeating is disabled only for A-Z and 0-9. !!!!!!!! ?????????? and so forth are still possible. We can still type "Donuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" as if our finger got stuck in some Donut-induced stupor. "Donuts! mmmmmmmmmmmm!" takes more commitment.

jcheyne
Jul 26, 2011, 04:58 PM
Do Anyone knows how to zoom the desktop on Lion? In SL was Ctrl + scroll

Not sure why it isn't working for you. It still works for me. On the trackpad, it's a 2-finger gesture (while holding Ctrl). With the trackball, same thing: scrolling while holding the Ctrl key.

Incidentally, in apps that accept the pinch gestures (such as Safari), zooming with the pinch gesture is superior to the scroll method because the pinching actually scales content, whereas scrolling only magnifies it. (The difference is resolution.)

Update: Mysteriously, after testing this and posting this response, the scroll/zoom stopped working for me, too. A simple reboot brought it back. Could be a bug.

ChrisH3677
Jul 26, 2011, 10:03 PM
What exactly was the critical thinking or intellectual honesty behind upgrading in the first place? It was there, it was shiny and I had to have it? It's a self-created problem.

Uhmm, there was like 250 new features, plus a raft of under-the-hood improvements... Why would anyone with any semblance of "critical thinking or intellectual honesty" not want to upgrade???

Just because there's a few features we don't like doesn't mean we shouldn't upgrade; nor does it mean we're not entitled to complain.

One way products are improved is people requesting new (or old) features. Sometimes those requests expressed as complaints.

Apple has demonstrated on many occasions a willingness to listen to people's complaints. (Albeit, at other times been exceedingly stubborn - the multi-button mouse only took 20 years; resize windows from any edge has taken 10 years)

Judging by the criticism of folks with a couple of gripes, it seems some people here have 100% liked everything about every product or service they've ever bought.

talmy
Jul 26, 2011, 11:05 PM
Apple has demonstrated on many occasions a willingness to listen to people's complaints. (Albeit, at other times been exceedingly stubborn - the multi-button mouse only took 20 years; resize windows from any edge has taken 10 years)

Technically the "multi-button mouse" never arrived! The mouse itself is the button and there are sensors to detect which side is being pressed. Is this being clever or just being stubborn?

ChrisH3677
Jul 26, 2011, 11:45 PM
Technically the "multi-button mouse" never arrived! The mouse itself is the button and there are sensors to detect which side is being pressed. Is this being clever or just being stubborn?

LOL! You're right. They still were stubborn about it, refusing to make it with physical buttons so therefore it's like they never did concede and make a two-button mouse. :D

ArcaneDevice
Jul 27, 2011, 12:09 AM

So I guess Apple should go back and remove the Apple menu completely and put a permanent non-functioning Apple symbol in the middle of the menu bar again?

Cole Slaw
Jul 27, 2011, 12:33 AM
Anyone figure out how to get Mail to have the horizontal bars--where you have the Subject, sender, date ABOVE the message displayed? I hate how it is only used as a sidebar now.
Open Mail preferences, click on "Viewing", then click the box "Use classic layout".

toogoodius
Jul 27, 2011, 05:32 AM

Over to the right, above the message, it says 'details' in blue. click on that abd sender etc drop down

toogoodius
Jul 27, 2011, 05:40 AM
LOL! You're right. They still were stubborn about it, refusing to make it with physical buttons so therefore it's like they never did concede and make a two-button mouse. :D

There are also one or two very useful things only possible by using both mouse buttons at once. Do apple not realise this?

toogoodius
Jul 27, 2011, 05:52 AM

Re changing back to the old style spaces, apparently possible according to the above,

please

PLEASE

somebody explain how

*LTD*
Jul 27, 2011, 06:19 AM
Ridiculous.

If you want to change over core parts of the UI to function like Snow Leopard, then what was the point of your purchasing Lion??

Just install SL.

Then we wouldn't need nonsensical threads like this.

OllyW
Jul 27, 2011, 06:27 AM
Ridiculous.

If you want to change over core parts of the UI to function like Snow Leopard, then what was the point of your purchasing Lion??

Just install SL.

So I shouldn't use Lion if I don't want my mouse wheel to scroll backwards?

*LTD*
Jul 27, 2011, 06:36 AM
So I shouldn't use Lion if I don't want my mouse wheel to scroll backwards?

That's an adjustable feature in System Preferences.

We have folks here wanting to do away with Mission Control, go back to the previous Spaces and Exposé, etc.

roadbloc
Jul 27, 2011, 06:38 AM

So you can run Lion apps. We all know how poor Apple's support is for their older products.

paulsalter
Jul 27, 2011, 06:40 AM

How will I use the upcoming iCloud features in Snow Leopard ?

ChrisH3677
Jul 27, 2011, 07:13 AM
That's an adjustable feature in System Preferences.

We have folks here wanting to do away with Mission Control, go back to the previous Spaces and Exposé, etc.

Yup! I've moved MC from the Dock, turned off all its options. It's now just like a tidier Exposé.

And you know what? My world didn't end. Lion didn't come crashing down in a big heap of UI-unusability.

Mission Control is hardly a core UI feature (as you indicated in your previous post). It's very easy to live without. And if we still had Spaces and Exposé we wouldn't be any worse off.

Besides a unified point-of-access, what real advantages are there of Mission Control over Exposé and Spaces? For most people who used Spaces in their workflow, the advantage was definitely in the Snow Leopard way. (But that doesn't mean they should go back to SL just because of one feature out of 250)

I've also removed LaunchPad from the Dock. What a waste of space it is! As application launchers go, it has got to be one of the crappiest ever.

Kebabselector
Jul 27, 2011, 08:07 AM
I've also removed LaunchPad from the Dock. What a waste of space it is! As application launchers go, it has got to be one of the crappiest ever.

+1

App launcher is a great idea for a iPhone/iPad but on a desktop it makes less sense, the old Applications folder worked faster for me.

I've removed the Mission control app as I can just use a gesture instead* Though to be honest Mission control is a replacement for expose. I rarely moved apps inbetween spaces so the combination of expose/spaces might work for me. At least the keyboard (Ctrl-left/right Arrow) still work in Spaces.

*Kept it on my old Macbook as I can't do gestures.

chaosbunny
Jul 27, 2011, 08:18 AM
Ridiculous.

Just install SL.

Because no one, not even your beloved fruit company, can make something that's 100% perfect for everyone. Because millions of people have millions of different needs. It's simply not possible. That's why there are system preferences - where Apple could easily do with a little more options.

toogoodius
Jul 27, 2011, 09:04 AM
Ridiculous.

Just install SL.

Can somebody please just answer the question without asking sm*rt*rse questions.

The reason I don't go back to Snow leopard is because it contained a bug (yes, God's own apple machines can have bugs too) that made mail unusable.

This is not a nonsense thread so why waste time answering it like that

cargath
Jul 27, 2011, 09:19 AM
App launcher is a great idea for a iPhone/iPad but on a desktop it makes less sense, the old Applications folder worked faster for me.

Does no one here have Apps in multiple folders? o.O I normally leave my /Applications folder alone (with the exception of StuffIt Expander and Apple Apps) and install everything into ~/Applications. Of course i can use Launchers like Alfred, but Launchpad gives me an overview of everything i have installed. It really helps keeping track of Apps in multiple folders. And it's really fun scrolling through it :P

iMarc845
Jul 27, 2011, 11:34 AM
Can somebody please just answer the question without asking sm*rt*rse questions.

The reason I don't go back to Snow leopard is because it contained a bug (yes, God's own apple machines can have bugs too) that made mail unusable.

+1 to that!

If this topic isn't to your liking, pass it by. There's really no need to insult people who have done you no injury.

Now back to the original question... Poster tackyglue stated that he'd changed Lion to use the old style Spaces and for the Finder to use colored icons in the Sidebar. Presuming that's accurate, would someone please be kind enough to tell us how to do this?

I've also noted another issue with my sidebar: it does not display the SHARED Menu and my Bon Jour available servers UNLESS I first connect to one. Yes, I do have those options set in the Sidebar tab of Finder Prefs.

Also, if I use Connect to Server... [Cmd-K] from the Go menu, I cannot connect using the [computerName.local] It will ONLY connect if I use the LAN IP address.

Has anyone else noticed these issues? If so, how have you fixed them? I'm doing the same things that worked fine in SL; but they're failing in Lion.

talmy
Jul 27, 2011, 12:02 PM
I've also noted another issue with my sidebar: it does not display the SHARED Menu and my Bon Jour available servers UNLESS I first connect to one. Yes, I do have those options set in the Sidebar tab of Finder Prefs.

Also, if I use Connect to Server... [Cmd-K] from the Go menu, I cannot connect using the [computerName.local] It will ONLY connect if I use the LAN IP address.

Not being to connect to computerName.local and not seeing a Bonjour available server are consistent since the .local domain is used by Bonjour. You won't see the shared menu if there is nothing to share (i.e. the Bonjour server isn't seen).

I've got an environment with 4 Lion systems and 3 Snow Leopard systems (one being Snow Leopard Server) and am not seeing this issue. If you have an external you can boot Snow Leopard from it would be interesting to see if it sees the server, then at least you would know if Lion was to blame.

The Phazer
Jul 27, 2011, 12:15 PM
Ridiculous.

Just install SL.

Except you can't install SL on the new Airs. Apple block it. And depressingly, that means within about a year you won't be able to do it on any machine that Apple sells.

Not to mention the amount of iPhone features that seem quite likely to require Lion going forward.

I have no intention of upgrading to Lion if I can possibly help it. But that doesn't mean that I'm stupid and don't recognise that I'm not going to be forced into it eventually or lose features on other devices.

Phazer

John.B
Jul 27, 2011, 12:57 PM

I answered it back in post #33 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13034982&postcount=33):

scottsjack
Jul 27, 2011, 02:56 PM
I got so tired of trying to remove or disable the juvenile iPad-looking trash from Lion that I swiped a single finger vertical gesture to Cupertino and reverted to SL. I just couldn’t stand the ugliness. SL Mail, Calendar and Spaces are so nice to have back again.

Cole Slaw
Jul 27, 2011, 03:49 PM
I wish Lion still had "Save As" in Textedit and Preview.
Why would they take that out? :confused:

cargath
Jul 27, 2011, 04:28 PM

Yeah, that's odd. I guess they think we don't need it anymore, because there's versions.

But what's even more annoying: When i opened TextEdit to see if you're right, i realized, that it still restored opened windows, although i deactivated this feature in System Preferences... it even reopened windows, when i reactivated Resume and explicitly choose "Quit and discard windows".

I think all this versioning and resuming is a great idea, but it seems it's still very buggy. I can't predict what my Apps will be doing anymore, no matter if i activate or deactivate Resume. Like this, it's just useless and annoying.

talmy
Jul 27, 2011, 04:54 PM

Quick question -- when you do a "Save As" what file are you left editing?

"Save As" has been replaced with "Duplicate" which opens a new window with the duplicate. So you can edit either one. You can also close either window when you are finished. If you close the Duplicate window it will ask for a file name. That's how you get the "Save As".

Cole Slaw
Jul 27, 2011, 05:11 PM

"Save As" has been replaced with "Duplicate" which opens a new window with the duplicate. So you can edit either one. You can also close either window when you are finished. If you close the Duplicate window it will ask for a file name. That's how you get the "Save As".

Ok I see what you're saying there, Talmy.
Using "Duplicate" seems to get Textedit to do what I need it to do.
Thanks.

ChrisH3677
Jul 27, 2011, 09:50 PM
+1 to that!

Now back to the original question... Poster tackyglue stated that he'd changed Lion to use the old style Spaces and for the Finder to use colored icons in the Sidebar. Presuming that's accurate, would someone please be kind enough to tell us how to do this?

It was only his second post and he hasn't been seen since. I suspect he was just a lying troll.

maprx
Jul 28, 2011, 12:45 AM
I upgraded 2 lion twice, but thanks to my time machine. I went back to the snow cat. Lion does not come with any audio on my imac. It does on my macbook, but no sound on the imac. Reseting smc, pram, nothing, even apple support acted like this never happens. I wasted $30 and have snow leopard to show for it. It reminds me of windows me, and vista. Apple really dropped the ball on this beta version (ie gold master, final,)

frankk
Jul 28, 2011, 01:01 AM
Liking many of the changes with Lion, although some of the changes will take a little time to get used to.

Major annoyances so far:

- Selecting the bottom item from a list when the slider appears is annoying, there is little 'grab' space.

- Full screen Safari is good, but I always want to see the bookmarks bar for fast navigation without having to make it appear by hovering the mouse at the top of the screen. Isn't that the whole point of a bookmarks bar?

- The magic mouse and touchpad seem to have subtle and annoying differences in the gestures they use (although maybe I haven't set them up correctly). Two finger horizontal swipe on the MM goes to a new space, I really like this feature and I'm using spaces more than I ever have in the past due to the ease of navigating. However, how do I do this on the TP? 2/3/4 finger horizontal swipe doesn't shift to a new space, is it even possible on a TP without going to mission control? (edit: okay, solved this in system prefs, somehow it had locked and didn't allow this in TP but reset when I changed settings)

cargath
Jul 28, 2011, 07:37 AM
- Full screen Safari is good, but I always want to see the bookmarks bar for fast navigation without having to make it appear by hovering the mouse at the top of the screen. Isn't that the whole point of a bookmarks bar?

When you go into fullscreen mode the "Show bookmarks bar" menu item will change to "Always show bookmarks bar". You have to select it, even if you made the bookmarks bar visible outside of fullscreen mode already.

autrefois
Jul 28, 2011, 08:43 AM
Yes, but Macs have been able to do accents on US keyboards using very easy key combinations.

For example, to do é you just hit option+e and then E again. To do à, hit option+` and then A. I find this option to be a lot quicker than holding down and waiting for a menu.

But of course, I can understand how I'm a minority seeing as I speak and write in both English and French. And that I can imagine an American just wanting to add an accent to a word now and then (ex: fiancé) will find this method much more intuitive.

Yes, I've been using the method you've described for years and will likely continue using it for at least the time being (it's second nature to me now). But it's good to point it out for people who don't know. (EDIT: This link (http://www.starr.net/is/type/mac.html) looks like it covers them well for people who don't know).

That's actually one of the reasons I prefer Macs over Windows machines. Windows' solutions for accents have gotten better over the years but still aren't as elegant and easy as Mac OS in my opinion.

But for someone just learning to type a language like French with accents for the first time, holding down an e for example as a "one-stop-shop" for e with accents aigu, grave, and tréma will be more intuitive as you said than having to remember option + e for aigu, option + ` for grave, option + u for tréma.

And maybe even people who aren't writing in French will be more likely to put the occasional French accent in borrowed words like your example of fiancé, for détente, and possibly even for résumé (instead of resume, resume' or resumé -- maybe I'm being too optimistic, though!). :)

frankk
Jul 29, 2011, 01:14 AM
When you go into fullscreen mode the "Show bookmarks bar" menu item will change to "Always show bookmarks bar". You have to select it, even if you made the bookmarks bar visible outside of fullscreen mode already.

Thanks, was looking in the wrong place.

palmerc
Jul 29, 2011, 04:38 AM

Time == Money. If you want to establish equivalency. Otherwise, you are assigning money to time and I'm pretty sure you need a cast.

The animation is there to visually clue you into the desktop transition. Without it you might not realize that the desktop changed. Apple uses animations to give you these visual hints to make the experience natural and intuitive. In general, Apple uses animation very sparingly.

if you write a simple iOS app with a navigation bar and a table that transitions to a subpage on click and disable the animation, it stops making sense. That animation is needed.

bocomo
Jul 29, 2011, 09:18 AM

but it does eliminate a quick way to save a copy in another place

i was working on a Pages doc and saved, then i wanted to save it in my Dropbox folder - which was fast and easy to just do a Save As

now, i have to hit Duplicate, Save As and then close two docs

bocomo
Jul 29, 2011, 09:20 AM
Time == Money. If you want to establish equivalency. Otherwise, you are assigning money to time and I'm pretty sure you need a cast.

The animation is there to visually clue you into the desktop transition. Without it you might not realize that the desktop changed. Apple uses animations to give you these visual hints to make the experience natural and intuitive. In general, Apple uses animation very sparingly.

if you write a simple iOS app with a navigation bar and a table that transitions to a subpage on click and disable the animation, it stops making sense. That animation is needed.

well said

i also wonder how much time is "wasted" on animations really?

seems like an overreaction

axcurtis
Jul 29, 2011, 10:40 AM
I understand the solution you found using Duplicate, but it seems a bit cumbersome. I write a lot of TextEdit files using the .html extension and this has added some extra steps when saving.

At least, Duplicate needs a keyboard shortcut.

bartzilla
Jul 29, 2011, 11:16 AM

Frankly, I respect the idea that people should give the new features more of a chance - for all that I find quite a few of them frustrating and the Lion bugs annoying the only thing I've disabled is the scrolling.

But I find your insinuation that people who change the defaults are not "true :apple: users" (whatever the hell that actually means, jesus are you twelve years old or something?) to be as offensive as it is idiotic.

This MBP I'm on right now is my computer and I'll use it as I please. As should every other person. It got nothing to do with whether or not we're "teh real might mac using power rangers" or whatever the hell you think other apple users are and everything to do with people using their property in the way that works best for them.

Sorry if that's a little difficult for you to understand.

neuromajor
Jul 29, 2011, 06:03 PM
Oh well, the worst case scenario is that I'll actually get used to it.

MacBookPro2,2

8aseem8
Jul 30, 2011, 08:03 AM
Uhmm guys, bit of a noob question here, but how do you reverse the "Don't Save" (Restore ⌘D to mean "Don't Save" in Lion! defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSSavePanelStandardDesktopShortcutOnly -bool YES ) command?

Copied and pasted into terminal, hit return, didn't like the end result and now I'm screwed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mrguidogenio
Jul 30, 2011, 09:31 AM
You mean how do you reverse it? Just enter the same command but first change the "YES" to "FALSE"

John.B
Jul 30, 2011, 09:57 AM
Uhmm guys, bit of a noob question here, but how do you reverse the "Don't Save" (Restore ⌘D to mean "Don't Save" in Lion! defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSSavePanelStandardDesktopShortcutOnly -bool YES ) command?

Copied and pasted into terminal, hit return, didn't like the end result and now I'm screwed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I haven't tested this myself, but did you try to reverse it by changing the YES to NO?

talmy
Jul 30, 2011, 10:26 AM
"Save As" has been replaced with "Duplicate" which opens a new window with the duplicate. ...

but it does eliminate a quick way to save a copy in another place

i was working on a Pages doc and saved, then i wanted to save it in my Dropbox folder - which was fast and easy to just do a Save As

But the problem with Save As is that if you continue to work on the document you will be editing the copy instead of the original (and I've done that by mistake many times!)

If you are only editing one file, you can do the Duplicate command followed by the close all windows (Option-Command-W) which will prompt for a location to save the duplicate file.

As an alternative in your situation, why not just command-drag the file icon in the title bar to the Dropbox folder? That will copy the current file and let you continue to edit the original if you wish.

I understand the solution you found using Duplicate, but it seems a bit cumbersome. I write a lot of TextEdit files using the .html extension and this has added some extra steps when saving.

At least, Duplicate needs a keyboard shortcut.

You can add one in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Application Shortcuts

8aseem8
Jul 30, 2011, 08:35 PM
You mean how do you reverse it? Just enter the same command but first change the "YES" to "FALSE"

I haven't tested this myself, but did you try to reverse it by changing the YES to NO?

Tried NO and FALSE. Still gives me a 'Do you want to save changes you made to the file "untitled"?' dialogue box every time I close TextEdit or Pages when I've made changes :P

:(

talmy
Jul 31, 2011, 11:56 AM
Tried NO and FALSE. Still gives me a 'Do you want to save changes you made to the file "untitled"?' dialogue box every time I close TextEdit or Pages when I've made changes :P

:(

You will always get that dialog box since it is there to prevent you from accidentally losing your work. The terminal command only enables command-D.

NYYankees
Jul 31, 2011, 11:58 AM
I'm not optimistic on this one yet, but previously in SL, if you did a three finger swipe up or down, it would act as Page Up and Page Down.

Is there any way at all to re-enable this option? Currently, three finger swipe up and down in firefox, etc does nothing.

This one is really frustrating, I was surprised I did not find it mentioned in this thread...

talmy
Jul 31, 2011, 06:13 PM
Is there any way at all to re-enable this option? Currently, three finger swipe up and down in firefox, etc does nothing.

Get BetterTouchTool. (free)

briansolomon
Jul 31, 2011, 08:11 PM
I'm going to have to upgrade to Lion one day because I need the features of MobileMe/iCloud. I don't necessarily want anything else to change.

cozmot
Jul 31, 2011, 10:34 PM

Why is this post voted down? Seriously, if you don't like Lion, don't buy it. Snow Leopard will be supported for a good while. If you hate change, stick with the status quo. Myself, I'm very happy with Lion, although I miss some things and am getting used to changes. But, good gawd, advances cannot always satisfy everyone. So for those of you who voted down this post, stick with the old. You'll have plenty of time to do so.

Wordperfect anyone?

8aseem8
Jul 31, 2011, 11:28 PM
You will always get that dialog box since it is there to prevent you from accidentally losing your work. The terminal command only enables command-D.

Well, before I ran the command, it didn't display the dialogue box. For example, I typed 'Hello' into TextEdit, and hit Command-Q, TextEdit closed without any prompt. Next time I launched TextEdit, I was given an 'untitled' window with the word 'Hello' still there. Presumably a new Lion feature?

The command I entered enabled this 'Would you like to save' prompt. I was just wondering if there was a way to reverse this.

EDIT: Whoops. My bad. Command-Q does quit the app without saving, and the next time I launch it, the text is still there. It's Command-W that prompts to save. Problem solved, haha.

Love
Jul 31, 2011, 11:47 PM

Indeed, I believe the Americans refer to them as "Republicans"

ghostshadow
Jul 31, 2011, 11:48 PM

Oh burn.

cozmot
Aug 1, 2011, 06:29 AM

Now, now, be nice (wink, wink).

cozmot
Aug 1, 2011, 06:34 AM

Thanks for the info. I ran into the same problem and couldn't figure out how to replicate the Save As function. You saved me some time!

itsalexaye
Aug 1, 2011, 07:01 AM
why dont you just buy lion or a new mac if lion cannot be supported on it.

talmy
Aug 1, 2011, 08:50 AM
EDIT: Whoops. My bad. Command-Q does quit the app without saving, and the next time I launch it, the text is still there. It's Command-W that prompts to save. Problem solved, haha.

Yep. The "trick" with Lion is you don't ever want to do Command-Q but instead use Command-W. Also puts an end to unpleasant surprises.

bobbyrae808
Aug 1, 2011, 12:16 PM
Guys for the F3 key on Lion is here any way to make it the same as it was on Snow Leopard? I loved having it to swap between say safari and iTunes etc.
Bar that I love the sleek quick system of Lion.

mr666
Aug 3, 2011, 11:59 AM
Initial post was very confusing. Did anyone understand what

• Don't Save: @tomasf (requires Terminal):
Restore ⌘D to mean "Don't Save" in Lion! defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSSavePanelStandardDesktopShortcutOnly -bool YES

actually means? Is this supposed to be Terminal commands mixed in with some sort of comments? Please clarify.

rj7766
Aug 3, 2011, 04:09 PM
OK I just wanted to point out that if most of these changes in Lion are the "new" way of doing things ... why did Apple give you the option to switch back.... clearly Apple intended to let the user pick. So the negative comments about how you should just stick to Snow Leopard are not logical. Users are just exercising Lion's feature to chose how you want to do it.

talmy
Aug 3, 2011, 04:30 PM
OK I just wanted to point out that if most of these changes in Lion are the "new" way of doing things ... why did Apple give you the option to switch back.... clearly Apple intended to let the user pick.

Clearly there was some disagreement at Apple, so they gave a choice (Jobs isn't as strong at the helm as he used to be). However they didn't give a choice to switch back on many disruptive features such as Mission Control instead of Spaces, autosave/resume, and inability to run Rosetta.

flarn2006
Aug 3, 2011, 11:26 PM
What about autosave/versions? I'm used to saving the old way.

mutantteenager
Aug 4, 2011, 03:56 PM
So these refinements in Lion actually make it less simple to use....

blow45
Mar 29, 2012, 04:50 PM
I swear to god I m starting to have revenge fantasies for the idiot who removed save as everytime I save a PDF off the net in my downloads folder and I have to do duplicate, pop then goes another window then save as to the folder I want then close both windows... What the hell where they thinking, from what wrapped mind default versioning and the moronic duplicate command stemmed from?

talmy
Mar 29, 2012, 06:22 PM
I swear to god I m starting to have revenge fantasies for the idiot who removed save as everytime I save a PDF off the net in my downloads folder and I have to do duplicate, pop then goes another window then save as to the folder I want then close both windows... What the hell where they thinking, from what wrapped mind default versioning and the moronic duplicate command stemmed from?

Save as won't move the file. Here's how to move it:
1. Open Download folder
2. Select file, Command-C
3. Go to destination folder
4. Option-Command-V

Or if you just want to copy and the PDF is open in Preview:
1. Open destination folder
2. Option-drag file icon in title bar of Preview to destination folder.

Both of these methods work in Lion or earlier.

blow45
Mar 29, 2012, 07:09 PM
Save as won't move the file. Here's how to move it:
1. Open Download folder
2. Select file, Command-C
3. Go to destination folder
4. Option-Command-V

Or if you just want to copy and the PDF is open in Preview:
1. Open destination folder
2. Option-drag file icon in title bar of Preview to destination folder.

Both of these methods work in Lion or earlier.

I don't want to move it or copy it with its existing name. I want to save it as something to the folder of my choice via a simple save as, put name of choice, choose folder to save it at. I will delete it from downloads in batches once a month or so.

Do you realise how cumbersome your four steps are in method a and you still have not renamed the file yet? Moving between finder folder. Why go to the original folder? I have already opened the file in preview.

Option b is three moves (1a is click finder window) plus another to rename the file.

Do you realise now how helpful save as has always been and why there was an original reason people much brighter than the current os x dev leadership used it? You click save as and you save a file with the name you choose in the folder you choose there and then in one dialog box.

Save as via keybaord shortcut then choose folder put name in and press return. You are already in preview, or any other app for that matter, why go to finder first, copy it then go to the other folder paste it, hope you be not put a lot of files there and they are sorted also by date added so your file comes on top, double click it, rename it, press return.

Duplicate is stupid much like os x 10.7 lion, a seemingly better way to do things that is actually worse and is badly thought by people who are following a great legacy but would like to think they are more clever than they really are. Clever in ui design means as simple as possible, clever on os's means not introducing one possibly useful function (say versioning) and over applying it to the point of ruining basic functionality (save as), adding redundant data when the user does not want it. This is not clever, it's bloatware. Clever in ui design is defaulting a simple great idea, not defaulting a functionality that messes up people's workflows and makes matters worse only because your ego thinks you have created something great which people should be forced to comply with.

I am not here to comfort the ego of federichi or any other millionaire dev at apple who wants me to do it one way, their way, but their way is **** or at least not useful for me to begin with. They should be giving me the option to do it they way I used, and they had implemented better, or at least best for me. No one is complaining that the top search should be optional, or that the search in menus for apps should be optional because these were great simple ui ideas that are usefull to a lot of people, and they are out to their way when unused. So our hot corners, so os colour coding, so are smart folders.

I don't want to be forced to version ALL my files and duplicate, wait for self same window to pop up then save. Why can't they get it that this isn't such a universally great or useful idea, and in the case of duplicate it's even worse, that they habpve to force it upon their users without an option to disable it. Just cause they spent a year or so developping it, doesn't mean users like it or want it, they can have it on their own macs and admire their "genius" design. It's not such a core os feature like the kernel, or cocoa that I want choice over. It's a ui feature. If they think it's great they can be my guests and use it on their macs, if I think it's crap I should be able to disable it on mine.

There a fine line between rightly enforcing one elegant correct way of doing things in the Jobsian ethos, and dictating crap ways of doing things.

There is also a fine line between good and great, sadly there's a fine line between good and crap too, and the os x team seem to have managed to make a great leap from close to great to crap with lion.