Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
I just thought it would be interesting to read some responses on this subject. I got a 11-inch ultimate back when the new models first came out, but I returned it. Now I'm looking to get an Air again for good, and I think I'm def. going to step down to a i5 processor.

The only thing I'm trying to determine is how much storage to get this time around. Some of my priorities have changed since July. So how big of a SSD did you get, and why? What do you have on your Air, do you plan to use iCloud, etc.

I don't need much space for applications/programs. I am pretty much your typical user. I'm a writer, so I do a lot of that. The occasional music listening but heavy video watching, and just surfing the web and all that.

I had even thought of ordering the 480GB SSD from OWC before, but decided 256 would be fine. I had never really looked into iCloud until recently, because I didn't think I would have a use for it. I've always been more of a have-it-locally-stored at all times kind of person, but iCloud sounds pretty cool and sort of changes my thinking on that.

I can either keep a lot of video stored on there at all times or just very little, so I think I may step down to 64 or 128GB. Probably 128 since it makes more financial sense. I will also be getting the iPhone 5, hopefully a 64GB version if they release one, and will be having a lot of my entertainment on there.

So are you going to use iCloud and did it influence your decision? I'm just thinking out loud here how I would use my Air in combination with the iPhone. Before I wanted to have everything on the Air, but I'm thinking going down to 128GB would be the best thing to do, and use it for mostly productivity and only some entertainment. And use iCloud, which seems like it will be really useful in my case.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
This is a matter of personal preference. Some folks leverage the cloud so they can store less on their local drive. Me, I'm not near a reliable wifi all the time, and my 4G hotspot has a 4GB cap, so I prefer to have as much as possible with me. Different philosophies, different needs.

I got the 256GB because Apple didn't offer a 1TB option....

RTiii320

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I got 256 because i have a lot of music & movie files. Also i really wanted a i7 and you can't get a 128gb with a i7 so it made the choice quit easy

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
128. I think it's the perfect solution. Most people that opted for the 256 will probably use all of that additional space anyway and will still need an external for their remainder of their media libraries.

summitRun

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
128...but only after I realized that my existing THinkPad 160 GB HDD had only 70GB full...after 8 years of use!

Storage is cheap, getting cheaper and getting faster. Too many options out there to spend big $$ on internal capacity, imo

StevenT42

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
256. Since I expect this MBA to last me several years, I decided to go with the largest stock drive available. It also helps that I got in on the Amazon deal, and effectively got a 13/256 cheaper at a discount than a 13/128 at retail.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I went with the i5 4GB 128ssd because it is the best bang for the buck.

I use iDisk, and plan on using the cloud. But even then I do not store movies anywhere. What's the point with all the available resources.

My other thought is I could upgrade to OWC down the road if needed. Also when will we see 64GB + thunderbolt sticks. hmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I went with the i5 4GB 128ssd because it is the best bang for the buck.

I use iDisk, and plan on using the cloud. But even then I do not store movies anywhere. What's the point with all the available resources.

My other thought is I could upgrade to OWC down the road if needed. Also when will we see 64GB + thunderbolt sticks. hmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

Were there ever even firewire flash drives?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
This is a matter of personal preference. Some folks leverage the cloud so they can store less on their local drive. Me, I'm not near a reliable wifi all the time, and my 4G hotspot has a 4GB cap, so I prefer to have as much as possible with me. Different philosophies, different needs.

I got the 256GB because Apple didn't offer a 1TB option....

That's a good thought. For some people iCloud won't work for them because they aren't surrounded by WiFi, or for other reasons. It is a personal preference, I guess it is whatever works for you.

Thanks for the responses, 128GB seems to be a good option if you don't have a lot of media to store or are going to use iCloud.

kim2272

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Sunshine State
Base 64GB 11" here, mainly because I have a 27" sitting at home and to save some extra cash. I loaded all of my apps and software on the air already and still have 40GB left. I usually use my air for surfing the web, email, and bringing to school to work on documents. When I need to save anything, I usually save it to my USB anyways. I'm happy with my choice! :)

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Good point! And the supply and demand would not make for a good business venture when giving any real consideration. OK, Just the OWC future upgrade then. :eek:

Don't get me wrong, I really want a thunderbolt flash drive. Imagine how small it could be. I hope that at least one manufacturer gives them a shot, but if I were a manufacturer, I wouldn't bother with them.

iphonsteve4ajob

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2011
I purchased the 128GB model. Specifically because I am an early adopter of cloud storage services and have nothing really to store on my physical hard drive. I'm currently standing at 99GB free.

But more importantly, I purchased the 128GB model because I asked myself if I would fully utilize the storage capacity of a 256GB if I were to go that route, before I ended up selling the computer for a new Air (ivy bridge or whatever it may be) and the answer was no. So therefore I could not justify the 256GB.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I got the 128. I had a first gen MacBook air with the SSD that was just 64Gb and it was a challenge managing the space; it just became something you think about all the time.

I think 128GB will be plenty. After all, you just need to store what you need on the go when you aren't near your desktop / network drive / cloud or wifi / etc. Which let's face it, for most people that ain't much.

Sure there are some people who need to feel like they always have everything preloaded, like digital hoarders, but those are the same people who bring the whole house on vacation with them.

So I think 256 is a bit overkill for a portable machine, unless it's your only computer.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
13 air i7 256. Always like having the best of the best even if I dont use it all. I figure its always better to have more to spare than to run out. I run a used car business online and my dealer paperwork app only works on windows (SMH). So I run VMWare for that. I store all my pics of my cars on the machines, although now am thinking I want to keep them on a external hard drive or maybe give this cloud stuff a try when it is available through apple.

I have a brand new mobile me package that I have not used yet, am I better off opening and using it now or once the cloud stuff is available?

My 13 i7 pro I used like 225gb of 500gb cause i kept all the pics and videos movies on the drive but I dont wanna do that to this air lol

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I got 256 because i have a lot of music & movie files. Also i really wanted a i7 and you can't get a 128gb with a i7 so it made the choice quit easy

This pretty much sums up my feeling on it - I went the same route.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
256, I believe in using the full capabilities of the computers I buy, so 256 is the proper size for my needs. I run a few VM's as well as requiring enough storage with room to grow. After setting it up, I've got 60GB remaing which is ideal.

Jordan9

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2011
Texas
I went with the 128GB SSD. I already had all of my iTunes and iPhoto libraries on a 1TB portable external drive before I got my Air. So when I need to take my movies or music on the road I will just take the external drive with me. I know most people with an Air don't want to carry an external drive, but it's small and carries everything I need on it.
So 128GB will be enough for programs, documents for school, and current projects I may be working on. I also keep most files for school synced between my iPad2, Air and other MacBook through DropBox.

litchblade

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2011
256 + i7

I also ordered the 256 because of 2 simple reasons:

1) I wanted the i7 and you cannot get it without buying the 256 SSD for the 13"
2) I just want more space because you never know how much you need and you also get more for the macbook when you sell it one day.

rosemary1

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
128GB

I bought mine with the 20% Amazon coupon, so even though I don't expect to get close to filling it, the upgrade cost was minimal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.