PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to ask - but 11 or 13?

Aneres11
Oct 7, 2011, 05:25 PM
Title says it all.
I know there are probably loads of these but I have a 11' on order (delivery in 4 weeks where I have ordered it from) - and something is just not sitting right with me.

Tomorrow I am taking a trip to my local store to look at both of the airs and try and make a decision, but before that I thought i'd see what you guys chose and if there was a particular reason why.

The Air will replace my 2009 MBP - 13'.
I use my MBP for general internet use, updating my iPod, downloading music, emails, etc. Nothing too heavy at all.

Anyway, I ordered my 11' a few days ago after debating for about 2 weeks. Now since I have ordered I just dont feel right about it. Not sure why. When I look at pictures of it I am not excited like I should be. The screen looks really small - and I am not a fan of how much is actually screen and how much is 'around the screen' - if you get me.

I don't have bad eyes, so eye strain and all the other things people have mentioned with the 11' is not really a factor - or certainly shouldn't be.

My plan here is to buy the macbook then get myself a thunderbolt 27' screen so I also have a desktop setup. I have a few HD movies downloaded to external storage and would like to add more from iTunes as I think they'd look fantastic on the 27' display. Also, I like that I can have a wired connection, more USB ports and a display that will hopefully be worth keeping for a good amount of years. So there's that.

My main issue I think, lies with the screen on the 11". The 13" never struck me when I first looked into the Air as it seemed too similar to my MBP. It is afterall the same kind of design - just not thin. The 11" almost feels like the true Macbook Air with the 13 being there for those who think the 11 is just too small.
What I think i'm trying to ask here is does the 13" lose the 'Air' charm because its not super small like the 11"?

Hopefully my questions will be answered tomorrow - I will post with my thoughts but until then, thought i'd gauge what you guys thought.
Any help or info would be great.

Cheers :o

hemorrage
Oct 7, 2011, 05:38 PM
Title says it all.
I know there are probably loads of these but I have a 11' on order (delivery in 4 weeks where I have ordered it from) - and something is just not sitting right with me.

Tomorrow I am taking a trip to my local store to look at both of the airs and try and make a decision, but before that I thought i'd see what you guys chose and if there was a particular reason why.

The Air will replace my 2009 MBP - 13'.
I use my MBP for general internet use, updating my iPod, downloading music, emails, etc. Nothing too heavy at all.

Anyway, I ordered my 11' a few days ago after debating for about 2 weeks. Now since I have ordered I just dont feel right about it. Not sure why. When I look at pictures of it I am not excited like I should be. The screen looks really small - and I am not a fan of how much is actually screen and how much is 'around the screen' - if you get me.

I don't have bad eyes, so eye strain and all the other things people have mentioned with the 11' is not really a factor - or certainly shouldn't be.

My plan here is to buy the macbook then get myself a thunderbolt 27' screen so I also have a desktop setup. I have a few HD movies downloaded to external storage and would like to add more from iTunes as I think they'd look fantastic on the 27' display. Also, I like that I can have a wired connection, more USB ports and a display that will hopefully be worth keeping for a good amount of years. So there's that.

My main issue I think, lies with the screen on the 11". The 13" never struck me when I first looked into the Air as it seemed too similar to my MBP. It is afterall the same kind of design - just not thin. The 11" almost feels like the true Macbook Air with the 13 being there for those who think the 11 is just too small.
What I think i'm trying to ask here is does the 13" lose the 'Air' charm because its not super small like the 11"?

Hopefully my questions will be answered tomorrow - I will post with my thoughts but until then, thought i'd gauge what you guys thought.
Any help or info would be great.

Cheers :o

personally if i were replacing my MBP with the air, i would get the 13'; i know for a fact i would get sick of the 11' size after a while.

Now if your in my situation and your just looking to complement your MBP with an air, i would get the 11'

bwhinnen
Oct 7, 2011, 05:42 PM
We have both models in the household. I have the 11" and the Wife the 13". Personally I prefer the 11" it is lighter, easier to use on my lap, on the couch, its even not bad on the desktop.

The screen size is fine, especially if your eye sight is ok, it does have a high DPI so you get a fair amount of real-estate on it compared to say the MBP 13".

I am really happy with both of the Airs but do prefer the 11".

nebulos
Oct 7, 2011, 05:44 PM

wrinkster22
Oct 7, 2011, 05:57 PM
It really depends. I mean the 11" is really portable and if you plan on getting the TD you will have a huge screen! So in effect you are getting a desktop with a huge screen and the portability of a netbook. I personally got the 13" but that is because it is my main computer and I could not afford the display.

vitzr
Oct 7, 2011, 05:59 PM

Mine also has 12GB of ram.

Aneres11
Oct 7, 2011, 06:03 PM
It really depends. I mean the 11" is really portable and if you plan on getting the TD you will have a huge screen! So in effect you are getting a desktop with a huge screen and the portability of a netbook. I personally got the 13" but that is because it is my main computer and I could not afford the display.

Interesting.

So, if you had the screen - or say did want to buy it - you would go with the 11" because of the portability?

And for the guy who said 12...? Yes, thank you.

wrinkster22
Oct 7, 2011, 06:05 PM
Interesting.

So, if you had the screen - or say did want to buy it - you would go with the 11" because of the portability?

And for the guy who said 12...? Yes, thank you.

Well maybe, I really like it because it is SO small. The problem is the lack of sd card reader for me. the 13" has a sd slot and I like the option to put a card in. If that is not a concern because you don't mind taking a usb to sd adapter with you or don't use cameras that often yes. Full screen mode makes the screen feel much bigger

bwhinnen
Oct 7, 2011, 06:17 PM
Well maybe, I really like it because it is SO small. The problem is the lack of sd card reader for me. the 13" has a sd slot and I like the option to put a card in. If that is not a concern because you don't mind taking a usb to sd adapter with you or don't use cameras that often yes. Full screen mode makes the screen feel much bigger

Or if your camera uses CF cards rather than SD :)

nebulos
Oct 7, 2011, 07:14 PM
the 11" is seductive, in a way that the 13" is not.

the 11" seems tiny, which makes it sort of magical. the 13" doesn't seem different enough to be special. the 11" is also still pretty new.

but really, the 11" and 13" are not that much different, in weight or in size, especially in width; it's more like the 11" is chopped off at the top.

but on the other, other hand, the difference can seem big when comparing the screens. (if you're going to use an ACD though, that may be moot.)

battery life, CPU, and screen real estate are better on the 13".

but the 11" is a tiny miracle. and the screen size is perfectly fine.

there's no right or wrong. both are great. it's just a trade off.

4 weeks sounds agonizing!

GekkePrutser
Oct 7, 2011, 07:26 PM
Funny, your story sounds very much like mine. I also sold my MBP to buy an Air (a few months ago but decided to wait for the new Air), I also disregarded the 13" because I thought it was too similar, and I also felt uneasy after ordering the 11". Turns out that was not without reason.

I ended up seriously trying it out for a week and returning it. It was just too small for me, really requiring the use of an external screen for anything serious. And plugging it in gets old soon. While I was waiting for the new Air to come out a few months ago, I ended up buying an old White 13" (2.5kg!) MacBook and I preferred working on that over the 11" Air for the bigger screen. And I found the DPI too high for the 11". I was always bending over too much to see it right. Mind you I mainly got it for programming. Not really general use.

I'm not sure what to do now. I'm sure I'll like the form factor of the 13" but the DPI is also very high (though not quite as much as the 11"). And it's just so expensive, for a portable that runs a high risk of being dropped or stolen. My 13" white book is so much more care free. But I think I'll end up going for it anyway because even the 11" was lightning fast!

XX55XX
Oct 7, 2011, 08:49 PM
I'd go for the 11. Same size as a netbook, actually.

VMMan
Oct 7, 2011, 10:16 PM
Get an MBP 17" and hook it up to an external 11" monitor.

thuglove
Oct 7, 2011, 10:46 PM
We have both models in the household. I have the 11" and the Wife the 13". Personally I prefer the 11" it is lighter, easier to use on my lap, on the couch, its even not bad on the desktop.

The screen size is fine, especially if your eye sight is ok, it does have a high DPI so you get a fair amount of real-estate on it compared to say the MBP 13".

I am really happy with both of the Airs but do prefer the 11".

It's the opposite here. I have the 13" and my gf has the 11". However, I too prefer the 11", it's just so much portable. Don't get me wrong, I love my 13" but I find myself asking my gf everyday if she'll switch with me :p

KPOM
Oct 7, 2011, 11:00 PM
i bought the first MacBook Air in early 2008, and while I liked the 13", the 11" design is just that much better for me, despite the lower resolution and smaller screen.

That said, it's a personal preference. There's no need to feel bad about preferring one over the other. That's why Apple makes both.

iSee
Oct 7, 2011, 11:56 PM
You're already doing the right thing: going to try out both in person. Envision yourself using each in a variety of likely situations and I think you'll know which one is right for you.

Personally, I'd get the 11" in that setup. They're both pretty much the same when connected to the 27" display. And the 11" has uber portability and does have a little bit more charm. The reason I'd go for the 13" is if I expected to use it a lot without the monitor for some reason. Then, the 13" screen might trump the portability of the 11" (it's not like the 13" Air is a slouch at portability).

Agnoslibertine
Oct 8, 2011, 04:13 AM
I have been trying my gf's new 11 inch, and it is pretty good. The screen does take some getting used to. But you can always pinch to zoom etc.
Still i think the 13 is better suited for my needs anyway. (I need the SD-slot and the bigger screen resolution AND size)

Macman45
Oct 8, 2011, 04:22 AM
Before deciding on the 13" my eyes aren't that great any more so the 11 was just to small.

It's a great device, but I also have a 27" iMac so the reduction in size is dramatic, but I love the look and feel of the MBA, and use it in situations where I used to use my iPad.

Aneres11
Oct 8, 2011, 06:24 AM
Hmm, it does seem that people are a little bit more drawn to the 11" purely for the portability.

My Air will never leave the house - in the 2 and a half years I have had my MBP - it's never gone outside! :p

However, the fact it will be hooked up to the thunderbolt display does seem like the 11" would be the way forward. If I need more screen then I can just plug it in and away I go. And 27" should just about cover it, right? :D Ha.

I am definitely more drawn to the 11" even before I have tried to compare them.
Still gonna go and have a look shortly to put my mind at rest though!
Watched some interesting videos on youtube last night - and the Air's are just so super quick!

Its quite frightening really!

Thank you for all your comments, i'll be sure to let you know what I decide.

And yes - 4 weeks is a very long wait! Ha.

Snesley Wipes
Oct 8, 2011, 06:24 AM
The difference in lightness and portability between the 11" and 13" is minimal. You would have to be a really weak dude if you consider the 13" non-portable. Go for the 13".

wrinkster22
Oct 8, 2011, 08:58 AM
Hmm, it does seem that people are a little bit more drawn to the 11" purely for the portability.

My Air will never leave the house - in the 2 and a half years I have had my MBP - it's never gone outside! :p

However, the fact it will be hooked up to the thunderbolt display does seem like the 11" would be the way forward. If I need more screen then I can just plug it in and away I go. And 27" should just about cover it, right? :D Ha.

I am definitely more drawn to the 11" even before I have tried to compare them.
Still gonna go and have a look shortly to put my mind at rest though!
Watched some interesting videos on youtube last night - and the Air's are just so super quick!

Its quite frightening really!

Thank you for all your comments, i'll be sure to let you know what I decide.

And yes - 4 weeks is a very long wait! Ha.
Enjoy! the 11" will be so nice and portable and when you want a bigger screen, BAM
Don't forget a keyboard and mouse :)

Aneres11
Oct 8, 2011, 09:21 AM
Enjoy! the 11" will be so nice and portable and when you want a bigger screen, BAM
Don't forget a keyboard and mouse :)

I'm already all over that one ha.

Going for the standard wireless keyboard and the track pad as it looks like it's amazing to use!

Also gonna go the whole hog and get me an iPhone docking station (for my new 4s :cool:) and a MBA dock too!

Not all at once mind - i'm not made of money unfortunately. Ha.

Abazigal
Oct 8, 2011, 09:22 AM
So I am not the only one who finds the small size of the 11' MBA hypnotically irresistible for some reason. :eek: I am still agonizing between the entry level 11' and 13' models. 2gb or 4gb ram? :confused:

mwhities
Oct 8, 2011, 09:26 AM
Go with the 13". Better battery life and better resolution. I love my Mid 2010 Macbook but, if I need to upgrade, I'm getting the 13" MBA.

cluthz
Oct 8, 2011, 09:33 AM
The biggest issue with the 11 inch is the screen height, only 768 lines compared to 900 on the 13 inch.
Why apple chose 16:9 instead of 16:10 like the 13 inch is a mystery to me.
The better battery life in the 13 inch is also welcome and the SD card slot is nice to have too.

I tried both on the apple store and I found the 13 inch much better, mostly because of the screen height.

KohPhiPhi
Oct 8, 2011, 09:39 AM
The 11" is more portable due to smaller size so you can use a smaller backpack, but it's more of a "niche" computer for ultra-mobile users.

The problem with the 11" is the screen resolution and the battery life, which are both significantly worse in the 11" compared to the 13".

So, if ultra-portability is your main (and only) concern then go for the 11". For a more solid and all-around more balanced computer that will be used both at home and on the go, I find the 13" a more sensible option.

Yes, the 11" is cuter, but the 13" makes more "sense" from an overall point of view.

PS: On top of that, I find kind of self-defeating to have an ultra-portable laptop (11") with a battery life of only around 3 hours under real life usage. So you cannot even get a whole afternoon worth of work done. That means that you have to carry the charger and seek out for an electricity plug, and that obviously hinders the mobility factor.

In my opinion, any machine that wants to be labeled as "mobile-friendly" needs at least a 5 or 6 hour battery life under real life usage (WIFI, YouTube, Skype, etc). And the 11" cannot do that.

jmpnop
Oct 8, 2011, 09:45 AM
I find 11" too small, 13" would be ideal. Also it has better battery, higher resolution and is equally portable. I'd recommend 13"

Stingray454
Oct 8, 2011, 11:49 AM
I've got an 11" and a 13" MBP, and I LOVE the Air. The 11" works great for working, surfing, movies and anything else I've tried to use it for. Sure, the 13" is nice too, but I find the difference from a 13" MBP to small - if I get something the size of a 13" Air, I might as well get a Pro - it's faster, has more ports and better screen, and it's the same size as the 13" Air (though a bit heavier, granted). The 11" is in a class of it's own - super light, can handle anything I need, big enough screen, and beautiful - basicly same size as an iPad, but does everything better. I'd recommend anyone to get the 11" over the 13".

Bye Bye Baby
Oct 8, 2011, 03:08 PM
Go the 11 inches.

hwrdrrk
Oct 8, 2011, 03:22 PM
As an owner of the new 11" Air AND the new 13" Air,

the clear winner (and my biggest recommendation) is the 11" Air.

I never could have believed this myself if I didn't own both.

DieterRams
Oct 8, 2011, 03:56 PM
As an owner of the new 11" Air AND the new 13" Air,

the clear winner (and my biggest recommendation) is the 11" Air.

I never could have believed this myself if I didn't own both.

Interesting to read bits of others' experiences here. I've also owned both sizes, as you have also done. Can you explain your thought process behind the 11" being better for you?

I was attracted to the 11" due to its sheer size, its footprint and just how awesome it is. However, I found it to be cramped. I'm not some huge guy either. Since I almost always rest my palms on the palm rest, I found it to be too short on the 11". And using the shorter trackpad was slightly frustrating almost half the time, if not more. I noticed that I would even reach below the trackpad with my fingers to do gestures, expecting it to be larger. When typing, I had to curl my fingers in a bit so that my wrists/palms wouldn't either drop off the edge or have the edge dig into them.

So I'm on my 13" now and it feels just about right. The comfort factor is fairly big. However, one thing is really interesting. I almost find the 13" screen to be too tall! Since the 11" screen is 16:9, it's shorter and wider so the 13" feels more squat and tall. Even though there are more horizontal pixels, it's the physical dimensions in relation to the vertical physical size that makes me feel that way. I think it's only because I owned the 11" for a full two weeks and got used to those screen dimensions. I'm sure it's only a passing thing.

So all in all, I'd ask if you are physically comfortable on either machine and decide that way. Both machines perform just about the same with the same specs custom configured so no real loss there (although battery is different and SD card). I never use SD so that'll likely go to waste but overall, I think the 13" was the better choice so I'm keeping it. Even though I will miss the overall smaller footprint of the 11" and being able to be just that much more comfortable using it in bed or resting it on just one thigh. Even just moving it around was noticeably lighter.

Aneres11
Oct 9, 2011, 12:44 PM
Well guys, I went and had a look at the 2 Air's today.

And I ended up coming home with one!
:D

The place I originally ordered from were stating delivery in 4 weeks - and I couldn't find one anywhere else.

Anyway, the store I went to (I'm in the UK), had it's own special Apple section - and had virtually everything in stock!

As soon as I seen the 11' and played with them both - there was only one I wanted.

Went for the 11" and am typing away on it now.

I absolutely love love love it.
Not only that, but the store also had a load of Thunderbolt displays with various macs hooked up.

All I can say about the display - is wow. It is fantastic. I personally think it looks loads better than the 27" iMac screen - not the display quality, just the surround etc.

Can't wait to get one of those to hook my new Air to it!

So yeah, decision made. Thank you all so much for your advice and comments. Really glad I went for the 11". :D:p

:apple:

Mr. McMac
Oct 9, 2011, 12:51 PM
Unfortunately my black macbook died a couple of weeks ago. So I was thinking about a 13" Air. I like the 16:10 screen over the 16:9 that the 11" has. Plus better battery life, more memory, larger storage. Just my personal preference..

VMMan
Oct 9, 2011, 02:22 PM
Unfortunately my black macbook died a couple of weeks ago. So I was thinking about a 13" Air. I like the 16:10 screen over the 16:9 that the 11" has. Plus better battery life, more memory, larger storage. Just my personal preference..

Sure, then why stop with 13". Get an MBP 17 with more more more of everything too.

DieterRams
Oct 10, 2011, 07:29 PM
Well guys, I went and had a look at the 2 Air's today.

And I ended up coming home with one!

The place I originally ordered from were stating delivery in 4 weeks - and I couldn't find one anywhere else.

Anyway, the store I went to (I'm in the UK), had it's own special Apple section - and had virtually everything in stock!

As soon as I seen the 11' and played with them both - there was only one I wanted.

Went for the 11" and am typing away on it now.

I absolutely love love love it.
Not only that, but the store also had a load of Thunderbolt displays with various macs hooked up.

All I can say about the display - is wow. It is fantastic. I personally think it looks loads better than the 27" iMac screen - not the display quality, just the surround etc.

Can't wait to get one of those to hook my new Air to it!

So yeah, decision made. Thank you all so much for your advice and comments. Really glad I went for the 11". :D:p

:apple:

So what made you decide firmly on the 11"? What reasons? I'd be curious to hear your thought process or what you specifically liked about the 11" over the 13"

I also thought you were saying you bought a Thunderbolt display to take home too... I was starting to get jealous ;)

----------

Speaking of 16:9 vs 16:10, I had an 11" MBA to play around with for two weeks and now I'm on the 13". I find that I almost find the 16:10 to be too tall. I don't quite get why I have this feeling. I've had the 13" for about two plus weeks now and still find myself thinking back to the 11" 16:9 display and how that seems more suitable. Maybe I miss the physical widescreen... but I can't imagine why. It's not like I watch a ton of movies on the computer... If anything there is more resolution in both horizontal and vertical here so I'm a bit puzzled as to why I almost miss it. I guess it doesn't matter how many pixels, as long as it's 16:9. Ultimately, I think I still made the right choice since I find typing and mousing around on this 13" to be more comfortable overall.

Aneres11
Oct 11, 2011, 04:37 PM
So what made you decide firmly on the 11"? What reasons? I'd be curious to hear your thought process or what you specifically liked about the 11" over the 13"

I also thought you were saying you bought a Thunderbolt display to take home too... I was starting to get jealous ;)[COLOR="#808080"]

Ha I wish - that is next on the agenda though - just need a desk and a comfy swivel chair... ;)

To be honest, I think what made me get the 11" was that it was next to a 13" and next to that was a 13" MBP (what I had).

The pro and the 13" air looked exactly the same when open - aside from the black / silver around the screen. It almost felt like the 13" Air was too similar to the Pro. I also don't think the 13" suits the slim form factor (just my opinion). As soon as I got a proper go with the 11" I just adored it.
I will say though - I wasn't blown away by the Air's when in store... Think it had something to do with them being firmly held down and alarmed up lol - so I couldn't get a proper hands on.

However, since I got my 11" home - I am just in love. It is my favourite (UK Spelling!) Apple product - maybe outside of my iPhone 4/4s (arrives soon) as I use that as my iPod, alarm, calendar, emails, phone, texts etc etc. But I love the Air.
I can't believe it runs as seamlessly as my Pro did for the same tasks. For instance, right now I have firefox open with 4 tabs - including a paused YouTube video, iTunes downloading podcasts, Spotify playing music out to me and emails open. There is no slow down, no lag, no overheating (yet ha) and it is just amazing.
Don't get me wrong, my Pro never slowed down either - but the difference in size between them makes me wonder how the Air does it!

It is a joy to use.

Cannot wait to hook it to a thunderbolt display! Will be sure to post pics and thoughts once I do that! :D

The displays they had set up in store were absolutely gorgeous - and as I previously said, I much prefer them to the 27" iMac's. The TD didn't look as big - and that was a good thing for me as I love the glossy black slim surround.

Damn Apple:apple: making me want all of this tech goodness.

Abazigal
Oct 11, 2011, 05:03 PM
Just to check, all these is on the basic 2gb version or the upgraded 4gb one?

entatlrg
Oct 11, 2011, 07:05 PM
Sure, then why stop with 13". Get an MBP 17 with more more more of everything too.

Which do you use more often, the 11 or 17". Which one do you enjoy using the most?

VMMan
Oct 11, 2011, 11:40 PM
Which do you use more often, the 11 or 17". Which one do you enjoy using the most?

I use my 2011 MBA 11" about 90% of the time over my 2011 MBP 17".

If I had an SSD in the MBP 17", then the ratio may be more 70:30 though 11":17".

LordVic
Oct 12, 2011, 09:14 AM
I love the 11".

for me, I'm not a power user when i'm mobile. I just like to sit, browse, chat on IRC, throw some emails together, maybe do a few small spreadsheets and databases.

The 11" is the dream portable computer. 13" might have been better for desktop real estate, But the size of the 11" is oh so wonderful. fits easily in one hand. easily sits on my lap when watching TV and working away.

Also: whomever said 3 hours of battery life needs to adjust their computing habits. I don't run any flash blocker or add-ons on my web browser. So my browsing is "pure". the odd flash sites, constant browsing. I have screen usually on the 3rd lowest setting with the keyboard lights out (i touch type and dont need to see it). Saturday night I watched the entirety of the Leafs hockey game (starts at 7 ends at 10ish) and still had 60% battery left.

Also "same size as a netbook". This is wrong. in reality, it's footprint is larger than your typical netbook. it is however thinner. Weight wise isn't that different. I upgraded from and Acer AspireONE to the Air 11". most netbooks are based around the same screen. 10.1" 1024x600 resolution. I can tell you, the Air's real estate is amazing. I can actually view typical websites now without having to side scroll!

hwrdrrk
Oct 13, 2011, 02:08 PM
Interesting to read bits of others' experiences here. I've also owned both sizes, as you have also done. Can you explain your thought process behind the 11" being better for you?

I was attracted to the 11" due to its sheer size, its footprint and just how awesome it is. However, I found it to be cramped. I'm not some huge guy either. Since I almost always rest my palms on the palm rest, I found it to be too short on the 11". And using the shorter trackpad was slightly frustrating almost half the time, if not more. I noticed that I would even reach below the trackpad with my fingers to do gestures, expecting it to be larger. When typing, I had to curl my fingers in a bit so that my wrists/palms wouldn't either drop off the edge or have the edge dig into them.

So I'm on my 13" now and it feels just about right. The comfort factor is fairly big. However, one thing is really interesting. I almost find the 13" screen to be too tall! Since the 11" screen is 16:9, it's shorter and wider so the 13" feels more squat and tall. Even though there are more horizontal pixels, it's the physical dimensions in relation to the vertical physical size that makes me feel that way. I think it's only because I owned the 11" for a full two weeks and got used to those screen dimensions. I'm sure it's only a passing thing.

So all in all, I'd ask if you are physically comfortable on either machine and decide that way. Both machines perform just about the same with the same specs custom configured so no real loss there (although battery is different and SD card). I never use SD so that'll likely go to waste but overall, I think the 13" was the better choice so I'm keeping it. Even though I will miss the overall smaller footprint of the 11" and being able to be just that much more comfortable using it in bed or resting it on just one thigh. Even just moving it around was noticeably lighter.

You make good points, and I'll answer the best I can: The 13" was the "right choice" and the "no brainer." More for the money, larger screen, two more hours of battery life, sd card slot, slightly faster processor, for only $100 more.

But the shape of the screen was awkward. Too tall. Rather than design a 13" macbook air as beautifully proportioned as the 11" macbook air, they just made an anorexic version of the 13" macbook pro.

As one person once said, the 11" is truly mobile. The 13" is portable. I didn't understand the distinction at the time (they'll both fit in my backpack easily!), but after owning both I understand. The 13" shape/size/weight made me still feel like I was dealing with a laptop... a far inferior laptop to the macbook pro. The 11" is like an iPad on steroids, an apple device in the palm of my hands that runs a genuine Mac OS X operating system.

Would I ever take a 13" macbook air over the 11"? No. Would I take a redesigned 13", possibly but unlikely. But I do sometimes miss the 500GB hard drive of my macbook pro.

2015 Dream: Macbook air 12.2" (Give me a little more room for my palms when I type!) 2TB SSD, 1080 High Def Screen, 16GB RAM, 24 Hour battery life.

----------

Afterthought:

I am able to appreciate this 11" macbook air as much as I do, because I also own an iMac. The iMac is my heavy hitter, my render-stuff-all-day computer while I'm out enjoying My air.

I would prefer to have one computer, and a 27" apple cinema display, but that's not in the cards right now financially (for me) and technologically (from Apple).

When apple releases a redesigned 3.6 lb 15" Macbook Pro/Air with a 512 SSD with a similar form factor to the 11" Air, I will most likely sell my iMac, sell my Air, and finally consolidate down to one device.

Spacely
Oct 13, 2011, 04:34 PM
I have old eyes and I need a new pair of glasses, but the 11" screen is still working fine for me, although I'll eventually hook the Air up to an external monitor for longer work sessions. Coming from a 2005 iBook, the screen seems ultra crisp.

The 11" form factor just makes it perfect for taking out to the porch or sitting on the couch. My old iBook spent most of its time on the desk at home, but the little Air just begs to be follow you around the house. It's also really easy to hide -- we have a lot of burglaries in my neighborhood and I like that I can just sneak it into a pile of stationery and it disappears.

nebulos
Oct 13, 2011, 05:40 PM
You make good points, and I'll answer the best I can: The 13" was the "right choice" and the "no brainer." More for the money, larger screen, two more hours of battery life, sd card slot, slightly faster processor, for only $100 more.

But the shape of the screen was awkward. Too tall. Rather than design a 13" macbook air as beautifully proportioned as the 11" macbook air, they just made an anorexic version of the 13" macbook pro.

As one person once said, the 11" is truly mobile. The 13" is portable. I didn't understand the distinction at the time (they'll both fit in my backpack easily!), but after owning both I understand. The 13" shape/size/weight made me still feel like I was dealing with a laptop... a far inferior laptop to the macbook pro. The 11" is like an iPad on steroids, an apple device in the palm of my hands that runs a genuine Mac OS X operating system.

Would I ever take a 13" macbook air over the 11"? No. Would I take a redesigned 13", possibly but unlikely. But I do sometimes miss the 500GB hard drive of my macbook pro.

2015 Dream: Macbook air 12.2" (Give me a little more room for my palms when I type!) 2TB SSD, 1080 High Def Screen, 16GB RAM, 24 Hour battery life.

----------

Afterthought:

I am able to appreciate this 11" macbook air as much as I do, because I also own an iMac. The iMac is my heavy hitter, my render-stuff-all-day computer while I'm out enjoying My air.

I would prefer to have one computer, and a 27" apple cinema display, but that's not in the cards right now financially (for me) and technologically (from Apple).

When apple releases a redesigned 3.6 lb 15" Macbook Pro/Air with a 512 SSD with a similar form factor to the 11" Air, I will most likely sell my iMac, sell my Air, and finally consolidate down to one device.

you can kiss that dream Air goodbye. i'm not sure it's even well-defined theoretically. a 15" with the same form factor as the 11"? meaning simply 16:9? it'll be a while before they can even build an ultra-thin quad-core, which is i guess what you want, but once they can, how much will it COST, with 512 SSD?! be realistic people! ... i mean, i think maybe their going this way, but it'll be a while ...

in fact, many, many people HATE 16:9, and find that the whole problem with the 11" is not that it has a small screen, but precisely that's its too short vertically, i.e., 16:9.

so, different strokes for different folks.

as for 'portability vs ultraportability', its been said many times, including in this thread, the weight and size difference is there, but its also almost insignificant, and portability should include battery life, where the 13" wins, though not, in practice, by the theoretical 2 hours, but by more like 40 minutes, which isn't a huge difference either.

GWagon
Oct 13, 2011, 05:58 PM
I was comparing the two models last week at the apple store, and I couldn't see myself getting used to the 11" screen. Everything just looked claustrophobic in comparison to the 13".

http://photos.appleinsider.com/11Air.001.jpg

It was almost like trying to look through a letter box. The battery life is also better on the 13", 7h vs 5h in the 11".

Another thing is, the i5 in the 11" is slower than that in the 13" and upgrading to the i7 in the 11" brings the price up higher than the i5 13".

I had to make no compromises with the 13", it was just better for me in every way.

Stingray454
Oct 13, 2011, 08:54 PM
I was comparing the two models last week at the apple store, and I couldn't see myself getting used to the 11" screen. Everything just looked claustrophobic in comparison to the 13".

The 11" in the picture does have a much larger dock than the 13". Anyway, I felt a little bit cramped on my 11" too, so I moved the dock to the right edge instead. Doing that, or setting the dock to auto-hide, gives you access to the entire screen for web browsing and such, and suddenly the screen feels a LOT bigger. I recommend anyone with an 11" to move the dock, it makes the screen dimensions perfect.

aery
Oct 13, 2011, 09:48 PM
The 11" in the picture does have a much larger dock than the 13". Anyway, I felt a little bit cramped on my 11" too, so I moved the dock to the right edge instead. Doing that, or setting the dock to auto-hide, gives you access to the entire screen for web browsing and such, and suddenly the screen feels a LOT bigger. I recommend anyone with an 11" to move the dock, it makes the screen dimensions perfect.

I completely agree with this. Moving my dock off to the side made quite a difference. :)

3dflyboy1
Oct 13, 2011, 10:32 PM
For those of you who are proud owners of the 2011 11" air, what kind of battery life are you getting? From what I've heard it's a max of 3hrs...? :eek:

Abazigal
Oct 14, 2011, 12:40 AM
For those of you who are proud owners of the 2011 11" air, what kind of battery life are you getting? From what I've heard it's a max of 3hrs...? :eek:

I think you can typically expect around 3 hours of typical usage. I suppose you could tweak various settings to reduce power consumption, but if it makes using the MBA such a pain in the behind, why bother? :(

NutsNGum
Oct 14, 2011, 04:23 AM
I owned both the 2011 models, 11" and 13". Returned the 11" due to the sub-standard battery life and lack of room on screen for Xcode.

If I didn't have a girlfriend however, I'd probably have kept both.

hwrdrrk
Oct 14, 2011, 11:19 AM
you can kiss that dream Air goodbye. i'm not sure it's even well-defined theoretically. a 15" with the same form factor as the 11"? meaning simply 16:9? it'll be a while before they can even build an ultra-thin quad-core, which is i guess what you want, but once they can, how much will it COST, with 512 SSD?! be realistic people! ... i mean, i think maybe their going this way, but it'll be a while ...

in fact, many, many people HATE 16:9, and find that the whole problem with the 11" is not that it has a small screen, but precisely that's its too short vertically, i.e., 16:9.

so, different strokes for different folks.

as for 'portability vs ultraportability', its been said many times, including in this thread, the weight and size difference is there, but its also almost insignificant, and portability should include battery life, where the 13" wins, though not, in practice, by the theoretical 2 hours, but by more like 40 minutes, which isn't a huge difference either.

Take pleasure in shooting down other peoples dreams? :roll eyes: I'm not going to "kiss dreams goodbye" or to "be realistic people!" but I will of course be patient for the next 3-9 years before the dreams are realized.

With regards to the 11", I was simply answering the gentleman's question who was curious why I liked the 11" over the 13". If you like the 13" more than the 11", I respect that. If the weight and size difference is "almost insignificant" to you, and you appreciate the extra 40 minutes of batter life, then the 13" is the way to go.

nebulos
Oct 14, 2011, 02:16 PM
Take pleasure in shooting down other peoples dreams? :roll eyes: I'm not going to "kiss dreams goodbye" or to "be realistic people!" but I will of course be patient for the next 3-9 years before the dreams are realized.

With regards to the 11", I was simply answering the gentleman's question who was curious why I liked the 11" over the 13". If you like the 13" more than the 11", I respect that. If the weight and size difference is "almost insignificant" to you, and you appreciate the extra 40 minutes of batter life, then the 13" is the way to go.

sorry. with the shards of so many of my shattered dreams permanently lodged in the souls of my feet, i guess i've become a bitter old man.
(b:(:(h:(:( for me.)

i understand you were only explaining your preference. hence the 'different strokes'.

i still don't know what you mean by 11" form factor, aside from just 16:9. and dreaming is fine, i just think a lot of people start expecting miracles and then get disappointed. i can tend to crush dreams as a public service, but i realize its never taken as such. (again, i'm just a bitter fool.)

11 v 13? ... as we've seen time and time again, its a personal choice. maybe:

13" = Betty
11" = Veronica

... or maybe not.