PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen iPod Nano Recall: battery overheating

Pedro Julio
Nov 12, 2011, 10:33 AM
So, I got the email today from Apple:

Dear iPod nano owner,

Apple has determined that, in very rare cases, the battery in the iPod nano (1st generation) may overheat and pose a safety risk. Affected iPod nanos were sold between September 2005 and December 2006.

This issue has been traced to a single battery supplier that produced batteries with a manufacturing defect. While the possibility of an incident is rare, the likelihood increases as the battery ages.

Apple recommends that you stop using your iPod nano (1st gen) and follow the process noted below to order a replacement unit, free of charge.

Note: This battery issue is specific to the iPod nano (1st gen) and does not affect any other iPod.

Replacement Process

You may order a replacement unit via the web. Click here to begin.

Your iPod nano serial number will be checked to verify that it is eligible for this program. You will receive a replacement unit approximately 6 weeks after we receive your current iPod nano (1st gen).

If you have a personalized iPod nano, you will receive a non-personalized replacement. Make sure to use iTunes to back up any data on your current iPod nano before sending it in for a replacement unit.

Additional Information

Identifying an iPod nano (1st gen):

It has a black or white plastic front and a silver metal back - later iPod nano models have a metal front and back.

If you need assistance with placing an order, please visit an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) and bring your iPod nano with you for serial number validation.

Your replacement iPod product is warranted to be free from defects for 90 days from the date of service.

Thank you for participating in this program.

Sincerely,

Apple

Does anyone know if they will send latest gen iPod Nanos as replacements?

wrinkster22
Nov 12, 2011, 10:46 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1274489
Join the discussion.
There is beliefs that they will refurb your existing unit and others think they will swap it for a newer model.

purpleplume
Nov 12, 2011, 11:08 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1274489
Join the discussion.
There is beliefs that they will refurb your existing unit and others think they will swap it for a newer model.

I received this email as well. It seems they are sending a different nano because it says if yours is personalized (mine is) the replacement will not be personalized. I'm not sure I want a new version. I prefer the form factor of the 1 gen nano I have now. Plus, mine is black and black is not a color in the current nano line.

Yes a longer battery life does appeal to me, but I am not eager to give up my black, classic form factor for the clumsy new nano in a color that I did not choose. Plus, I would lose my engraving.

I think I'll keep mine and take my chances!

MattA
Nov 12, 2011, 11:47 PM
More than likely they will replace them with refurbished 1st gen iPod Nanos. I seriously doubt they'd give brand new hardware for something like this.

loby
Nov 13, 2011, 12:08 AM
I too do not want to give up my Nano. I like the design and it has some sentimental value for me. Mine is also black and slick.

I received my notice via email today and went into the Apple Store to inquire. Apparently it is an online rebate only and from the email description, we will not get our original back. They did not have any information about whether we receive a new updated Nano or not.

My guess is that they will give us one of the 8 meg. Isn't there a special edition Nano?

I did notice on occasion that my Nano became extremely hot when charging up, but not to the point of a fire that was reported in the Japanese replacement rumors last year. Though we do not want to give up our Nano, it might be advisable to do so.

loby
Nov 13, 2011, 12:57 AM
Here is what Cnet is saying about the recall:

"...Apple is promising that a replacement unit, which is another first-generation iPod Nano, will be delivered about six weeks after customers send in an affected device..."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57323628-248/apple-early-ipod-nanos-can-overheat-send-in-for-free-replacement/?tag=cnetRiver

Thetonyk123
Nov 13, 2011, 09:13 AM
Wow, I guess they have a huge stock or refurbished units.

Hrududu
Nov 13, 2011, 09:55 AM
Wow, I guess they have a huge stock or refurbished units.
They're probably just taking in all these that are mailed back, replacing the battery and casing, then sending them back out. They probably do have some old stock laying around, but the 6 week turnaround makes it sound like they are going to be redistributing the returned units as they are refreshed.

wrinkster22
Nov 13, 2011, 10:33 AM
I received this email as well. It seems they are sending a different nano because it says if yours is personalized (mine is) the replacement will not be personalized. I'm not sure I want a new version. I prefer the form factor of the 1 gen nano I have now. Plus, mine is black and black is not a color in the current nano line.

Yes a longer battery life does appeal to me, but I am not eager to give up my black, classic form factor for the clumsy new nano in a color that I did not choose. Plus, I would lose my engraving.

They will re engrave them

EvanLugh
Nov 13, 2011, 10:38 AM

it says on the website that they won't.

ilovemyibook
Nov 13, 2011, 10:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It clearly states that they won't do that. They already have their hands full, they aren't going to add to it by engraving all the iPods again. If someone really wants to keep the engraving then they shouldn't send it in. The battery might have a chance of blowing up, but really it probably won't happen.

halfmonkey
Nov 14, 2011, 11:15 AM
We for sure won't be getting our original ipod nano back because the email clearly stated that if the ipod was engraved, we will lose that. So the question is if we'll be getting a brand new ipod nano or a refurbrished ipod nano. I believe it will be a refurbrished 1gen because of the lead time. I don't know what the different internal parts are between the 1gen and the current gen ipod nano but considering that it's 5 or 6 years old, there has to be some differences and I can't believe that Apple still has the tooling to remake the 1gen ipod when all of the manufacturering plants are building the current gen ipod nano.

Also, if they were to replace with a current gen, I'd think they would mention something in the email about color choice or memory capacity but it doesn't say anything about that so again, I think Apple is just going to send out a replacement nano from someone that sent their nano in for replacement.

Not complaining because they are fixing an issue but at the same time, they should find a way to allow us to keep our engraving. Considering that not many people still have a functioning 1gen nano, this could be a good faith gesture with positive PR results and the cost of doing all of this would really just amount to the cost of repairing any bad publicity that might come out of this if Apple choose not to do this.

I'll still wish for a brand new replacementnt though. I'll take an 8gb in black please. :D

Tigerdaly
Nov 16, 2011, 03:59 AM
Here in the UK it has been reported in the Daily Mail that every iPod nano 1st generation that is returned and part of the program will be replaced with the new up to date model currently on the market.

AnthonyFlower
Nov 16, 2011, 05:08 AM
Here in the UK it has been reported in the Daily Mail that every iPod nano 1st generation that is returned and part of the program will be replaced with the new up to date model currently on the market.

The Daily Mail said it, well in that case it's almost certainly going to be a refurbished 1st Gen iPod, can't stand that terrible paper!!

I've sent mine in as my 5 year old was using it and she likes her hands best when not on fire.

My wife has already declared if a new model comes back it's hers for running and she'll need Nike shoes for Christmas and if it's a refurbished 1st gen our daughter gets it back and wife will need an iPod and Nike shoes for Christmas :(

EvanLugh
Nov 16, 2011, 06:08 AM
The Daily Mail said it, well in that case it's almost certainly going to be a refurbished 1st Gen iPod, can't stand that terrible paper!!

I've sent mine in as my 5 year old was using it and she likes her hands best when not on fire.

My wife has already declared if a new model comes back it's hers for running and she'll need Nike shoes for Christmas and if it's a refurbished 1st gen our daughter gets it back and wife will need an iPod and Nike shoes for Christmas :(

Couldn't say it better myself. I am expecting the same model back, hence the 6-week turn around.

AndrewR23
Nov 16, 2011, 09:51 PM
They said I would get a box within 2 business days. Today was the 3rd.

mikehockenballs
Nov 17, 2011, 04:55 AM
I applied for the replacement and received my packaging fom Apple two days later.

This is what I received:-

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/dez16v/IpodNano1.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/dez16v/iPodNano2.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/dez16v/IpodNano3.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/dez16v/iPodNano4.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/dez16v/IpodNano5.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/dez16v/IpodNano6.jpg

and here is my iPod Nano:-

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/dez16v/IpodNano7.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/dez16v/IpodNano8.jpg

I was a little confused as to which poly bag I should put my ipod in and send off, because the instructions do not mention two different poly bags.
One of the poly bags looks like a standard Royal Mail bag with what I think is Apple's repair centre in the UK, the address is - 'Unipart Bay 22, Vulcan Point, Vulcan Way, Magna Park, Lutterworth, LE17 4XR.

The other poly bag has that same standard address printed on it and also a white label which shows the address of - 'Applecare UK DC, Vulcan Point, Vulcan Way, Magna Park, Lutterworth, LE17 4XR, United Kingdom, it also shows the sender's address (My Home Address).

So I contacted Applecare UK and asked the lady for guidance, she asked her supervisor and said there should not be two poly bags and to use the poly bag with the white label attached to it.

I also asked her which model iPod Nano that I would receive but she did not know for sure but kind of hinted that if they did not have any refurbished 1st gen iPod Nano's ( because they do not make them anymore ) then they would most likely send out a 2nd generation iPod Nano.

So I will wait for the replacement to arrive and post back with what I receive.

Hope that helps!

Hondo80
Nov 18, 2011, 07:53 AM
My Nano crapped out over a year ago(battery?). I found it in my desk drawer and come to find out the top casing was split open from the metal bottom casing along the side of the ipod. I hope when Apple receives it, it will still qualify for replacement. Worth a shot

ftaok
Nov 18, 2011, 08:38 AM
My Nano crapped out over a year ago(battery?). I found it in my desk drawer and come to find out the top casing was split open from the metal bottom casing along the side of the ipod. I hope when Apple receives it, it will still qualify for replacement. Worth a shotWhat caused the case to split open? Perhaps the battery "bulged" and caused the split. If so, I'd say that they should/would replace it.

Hondo80
Nov 18, 2011, 08:48 AM
What caused the case to split open? Perhaps the battery "bulged" and caused the split. If so, I'd say that they should/would replace it.

I cant for the life of me remember what happened to it. I pulled it out of the silicone sleeve and found it split open. Maybe it was the battery? Just have to wait and see.

Holdencommstra
Nov 18, 2011, 10:07 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/picture.php?albumid=373&pictureid=1291

http://forums.macrumors.com/picture.php?albumid=373&pictureid=1290

http://forums.macrumors.com/picture.php?albumid=373&pictureid=1289

will i be getting my one back in this condition,refurbished one or a beatup one with scratches on the back.cause i've kept my in pretiege condition with no scratches on the back and i do not want apple to sent me an scratched one back.

loby
Nov 19, 2011, 10:10 PM
Yes, my iPod 1st Generation is in excellent shape with minimal scratches. I will be very upset if I receive a used one that is beaten up. I seriously doubt that Apple would send scratched up models back etc. That would not sound like Apple.

If they will give us another ipod 1st generation, why don't they just update the one that we send them and send us our own back? Does not make sense.

We paid a large sum of money when it came out. I am still thinking that they will send us a new updated one to us. That sounds more like Apple's style.

But who knows now that Steve is gone...

loby
Nov 19, 2011, 10:31 PM
Whoops...Just check another post.

Looks like we get a refrubished 1st Generation 1pod.....:apple:

Pedro Julio
Nov 21, 2011, 08:24 AM
Reports have come in to various blogs that some replacement units have already been received and they are, in fact, 1st Generation Nanos that have been refurbed to like-new condition. No scratches, no dents. It's like a time warp. Serial numbers are different though, and, just like Apple said in the original email, custom engravings are not being reproduced.

RECAP:

You get....

1) 1st Gen Nano
2) Refurbed / Like-new condition
3) Identical specification (color, memory)
4) Not your exact original unit (different serial #)
5) No custom engravings

halfmonkey
Nov 21, 2011, 12:25 PM
I submitted my request on 11/14 and still haven't recieved my return box yet. I thought I was supposed to receive the return box in like 3 business days. Anybody else still not receive their box yet?

ecschwarz
Nov 21, 2011, 12:37 PM
I'm liking all the posts with pictures to see how the process differs around the world...I already sent mine off, otherwise I would've added the US version...

Holdencommstra
Nov 22, 2011, 02:05 AM
I'm liking all the posts with pictures to see how the process differs around the world...I already sent mine off, otherwise I would've added the US version...

in Australia it is Different.instead of Apple Senting the packaging to place the ipod nano inside Australian's have to go to an Australia Post store and just show them the paperwork and they will get an box and bubble wrap to place the nano inside.

i have sented mine to Apple Australia today and i went to the post office in Sydney CBD Queen Victoria building and they had ran out of small boxes so they place my nano inside a box that is the size of an A4 paper in width.it's like the size of two tissue boxes.

i saw another guy that was senting off his 1st gen nano as well.

sl33t
Nov 22, 2011, 04:39 PM
Reports have come in to various blogs that some replacement units have already been received and they are, in fact, 1st Generation Nanos that have been refurbed to like-new condition. No scratches, no dents. It's like a time warp. Serial numbers are different though, and, just like Apple said in the original email, custom engravings are not being reproduced.

RECAP:

You get....

1) 1st Gen Nano
2) Refurbed / Like-new condition
3) Identical specification (color, memory)
4) Not your exact original unit (different serial #)
5) No custom engravings
just out of curiousity, are they sending them back in original 1st gen nano packaging?

Resist
Nov 22, 2011, 08:57 PM
I would bet the replacement will be the current Nano version, not a refurbished 1st Gen Nano with a new battery. It's easier and less expensive for Apple to do it that way. Even though the new Nano costs less than the 1st Gen Nano did, it has more memory and this makes it a better deal.

However what sucks, is losing the personalized engraving (at an extra cost), some had done to their Nano's.

wordoflife
Nov 22, 2011, 09:09 PM
My shipping package was different from the first two pics posted on this thread. I guess I should mention that I'm from the US. The package included a label shipping to PA (different repair centers?).

I shipped it last night and got an email from Apple today, that my device has been received. Can't wait to get a completely scratchless version.

Btw black looks sick! I should have went with black instead of white.

yanki01
Nov 22, 2011, 09:22 PM
my box came from PA but the address it went to is in CA? i too received an email saying they've received it and all 3 steps were done. just waiting on getting it back now.

wordoflife
Nov 22, 2011, 11:00 PM
my box came from PA but the address it went to is in CA? i too received an email saying they've received it and all 3 steps were done. just waiting on getting it back now.

I just checked my status and it says "Diagnosing Product".
How long did it take for you?

mkjj
Nov 23, 2011, 10:49 AM
First Nano packed up ready to go back, just waiting for the second envelope to arrive! :D

yanki01
Nov 23, 2011, 08:56 PM
I just checked my status and it says "Diagnosing Product".
How long did it take for you?
they received my iPod on the 22nd, and did all 3 steps. it's still in step 3 and say "product replacement pending".

syxthelement
Dec 10, 2011, 05:32 PM
It took them 3.5 weeks to ship my shipment box :confused:

My screen is broken, hopefully that gets replaced

mikehockenballs
Dec 11, 2011, 01:37 PM
Has anyone got their replacement iPod back fromApple yet?

I am in the UK and have not got mine back yet, it shows as being at stage three.

It will be very interesting to see just what people do receive, it could even differ by country?

So if you have already got yours back then please post what version / colour you got.

ilovemyibook
Dec 11, 2011, 02:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Has anyone got their replacement iPod back fromApple yet?

I am in the UK and have not got mine back yet, it shows as being at stage three.

It will be very interesting to see just what people do receive, it could even differ by country?

So if you have already got yours back then please post what version / colour you got.

It's going to be a first generation Nano, same color and capacity as the one you sent in. That's what it'll be.

zed2
Dec 11, 2011, 02:13 PM
Well I posted mine back and they received it on the 12 November 2011... I'm is in stage three and has been since then..

So far 4 weeks it's been with apple with no sign of it moving!

How long does it take to post out a replacement unit!?!!?!?! :mad:

yanki01
Dec 11, 2011, 05:06 PM
Well I posted mine back and they received it on the 12 November 2011... I'm is in stage three and has been since then..

So far 4 weeks it's been with apple with no sign of it moving!

How long does it take to post out a replacement unit!?!!?!?! :mad:
per apple's email, up to 6 weeks for a replacement.

androiphone
Dec 12, 2011, 07:20 AM
can any UK people help me?

when you posted it at the post office, you got a receipt using the barcode does it actually track the package? also when apple receives the ipod does the apple repair site change to say the have got it?

also how long did it take for apple to get it when you sent it?

zed2
Dec 12, 2011, 07:27 AM
can any UK people help me?

when you posted it at the post office, you got a receipt using the barcode does it actually track the package? also when apple receives the ipod does the apple repair site change to say the have got it?

also how long did it take for apple to get it when you sent it?

It allows Royal Mail to track it.. it's just proof of postage.

Yes Apple sent me a mail to say they had received it and when I go to the support site I can see that it's updated. It took about 2 days to arrive with Apple.

3NV7
Dec 12, 2011, 08:06 AM
I filed on November 15, still haven't received my shipping box.

androiphone
Dec 12, 2011, 02:10 PM
It allows Royal Mail to track it.. it's just proof of postage.

Yes Apple sent me a mail to say they had received it and when I go to the support site I can see that it's updated. It took about 2 days to arrive with Apple.

much appreciated,
mine has been in the post for 10 days now with no update or indication where it is, starting to get a little worried :(

batch
Dec 13, 2011, 04:06 PM
much appreciated,
mine has been in the post for 10 days now with no update or indication where it is, starting to get a little worried :(

I'm also in the UK. I submitted the request on 15th Nov. Packaging arrived something like 26th Nov. Sent it back 28th November, status finally changed from "packaging sent" -> "Product Replacement Pending" on 12th December.

In short, I think they have a shed load being returned and have a bit of a backlog. I wouldn't worry. I think those with the quick turnaround were the ones that got in really quickly after the recall notice, now the queue is longer:)

Cursed
Dec 14, 2011, 10:12 AM
I'm in the UK and requested service on the 9th December. Received my jiffy bag today and took it to the post office. Now I have the fun of waiting for it to be returned. I'm just glad I haven't been waiting weeks for packaging like some people.

richardhunt
Dec 14, 2011, 11:31 AM
In the US, I applied for the replacement on Nov 17, got the box on Nov 30, sent it and apple received it on Dec 2nd. It has been in the "Product replacement pending" stage since Dec 2nd. I hope I get a new style Nano, but others have posted that they just get the same type Nano back.

androiphone
Dec 17, 2011, 07:24 AM
I'm also in the UK. I submitted the request on 15th Nov. Packaging arrived something like 26th Nov. Sent it back 28th November, status finally changed from "packaging sent" -> "Product Replacement Pending" on 12th December.

In short, I think they have a shed load being returned and have a bit of a backlog. I wouldn't worry. I think those with the quick turnaround were the ones that got in really quickly after the recall notice, now the queue is longer:)

many many thanks for that, mine has now arrived at apple :D and has moved onto step 3 ready for a replacement one to be sent out :D:D

Mr. Amiga500
Dec 17, 2011, 10:29 AM
I filed on November 15, still haven't received my shipping box.

I sent my request on Nov. 21 and haven't received my shipping box either. What the hell is going on? Did UPS lose the box? I better not get a notice saying the repair deadline has passed.

FL410
Dec 17, 2011, 10:51 PM
I happened to be online when the original Apple recall email was sent. I filled out the recall info immediately, received my boxes (I own 2) a couple of days later, and Apple received my Nanos on November 16. I received this email tonight:

Your service request has been completed and your IPOD NANO shipped on 2011-12-17. Please allow two business days for delivery.

Your product shipped via using tracking number XXXXXXXXXXX, which should be active within 24 hours.

Shipping address:
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
UNITED STATES

Serial Number of Original Product: YMXXXXXXXXXX

Serial Number of Replacement Product: DCXXXXXXXX

Please retain this email as a record that your product's serial number has changed as a result of this service request.

Repair ID: XXXXXXXXXX
Your repair status is available online.

Apple

Cursed
Dec 18, 2011, 03:15 AM
Have a check of the serial number. It seems some people are being sent 6G iPod Nanos.

kirsch92
Dec 18, 2011, 08:05 AM
I sent my request on Nov. 21 and haven't received my shipping box either. What the hell is going on? Did UPS lose the box? I better not get a notice saying the repair deadline has passed.

Me too. Since Nov 16th. Still stuck at Service Requested.

yanki01
Dec 18, 2011, 02:21 PM
Have a check of the serial number. It seems some people are being sent 6G iPod Nanos.
thats what my serial number comes to. we shall see.

mikehockenballs
Dec 19, 2011, 07:20 AM

It's going to be a first generation Nano, same color and capacity as the one you sent in. That's what it'll be.

Looks like you could be wrong going off what the posts above this one are saying, people could receive 6G versions in return for their 1G versions.

This is why my original post asked if anyone had actually received their replacement iPod yet to confirm what version they had received. Anyone could guess at what version could be sent out.

I am still waiting for my replacement, wonder if it will come in time for christmas?

Hiro32
Dec 19, 2011, 02:26 PM
I requested replacement on Nov 15 (US), and I haven't received a package yet...

ilovemyibook
Dec 19, 2011, 02:28 PM

Looks like you could be wrong going off what the posts above this one are saying, people could receive 6G versions in return for their 1G versions.

This is why my original post asked if anyone had actually received their replacement iPod yet to confirm what version they had received. Anyone could guess at what version could be sent out.

I am still waiting for my replacement, wonder if it will come in time for christmas?

Several people had already gotten back first generation Nano's when I posted that.

teebe69
Dec 19, 2011, 05:04 PM
Hi all. I'm in the UK.

I requested my box on the 19/11, it was sent on 24/11 and I received it and sent my iPod back on the 1/12. Since then nothing has happened. I've checked the status every couple of days and it still hasn't got to stage 2.

I've found my certificate of posting and put the barcode number in to Royal Mails 'track & trace' website and it says my package is being progressed through the network.

Where do I go now. Has anyone got a number for Apple that I can phone? It looks like my iPod has got lost in our wonderful postal service.

Dave

33man
Dec 21, 2011, 06:46 AM
Hi all. I'm in the UK.

I requested my box on the 19/11, it was sent on 24/11 and I received it and sent my iPod back on the 1/12. Since then nothing has happened. I've checked the status every couple of days and it still hasn't got to stage 2.

I've found my certificate of posting and put the barcode number in to Royal Mails 'track & trace' website and it says my package is being progressed through the network.

Where do I go now. Has anyone got a number for Apple that I can phone? It looks like my iPod has got lost in our wonderful postal service.

Dave

This is the original repair status when they shipped my empty box...
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3650/nanorepair1.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/nanorepair1.png/)

But as the box did come and i got no news after 10 days i called apple and they organized another pickup and repair id and it look like the following :
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/5791/nanorepair.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/nanorepair.png/)

batch
Dec 21, 2011, 07:25 AM
Hi all. I'm in the UK.

I'm in the UK. Mine took 2 weeks from posting it back to getting a status update change of "empty box shipped" -> "product placement pending".

I realise yours has been a bit longer, but this may be because of the normal Christmas slowdown, etc.

I wouldn't worry just yet, even if it is frustrating. At least you have the proof of postage.

seven654three
Dec 21, 2011, 08:11 AM
just got my replacement.

They replaced it with a 6th gen ipod nano!

MendotaMike
Dec 21, 2011, 08:54 AM
Woo Hoo! Just got an e-mail from Apple stating that my replacement has shipped, will arrive on Friday. Replacement serial number = 6th generation!:D

Mr. Amiga500
Dec 21, 2011, 10:30 AM
This is the original repair status when they shipped my empty box...

Fascinating. I just checked my repair status again and now see something identical. At least I know something is happening. Now I just have to worry about the UPS person screwing up.

Hiro32
Dec 21, 2011, 06:37 PM
Finally I received a padded envelope from Apple, CA.
I put my iPod Nano in the plastic bag, and sent it by UPS Ground (pre-paid label attached) today :)

Resist
Dec 21, 2011, 11:32 PM
I put my iPod Nano in the plastic bag, and sent it by UPS Ground (pre-paid label attached) today :)Me too!

Jazz2011
Dec 22, 2011, 07:50 PM
Hey i have my ipod sent but it has a cracked screen,
Just wondering does it make a difference?

yanki01
Dec 22, 2011, 08:43 PM
Hey i have my ipod sent but it has a cracked screen,
Just wondering does it make a difference?
nope, apple wants your iPod nano. send it in and wait for a 6th gen to go your way.

Hiro32
Jan 6, 2012, 01:39 AM
I put my iPod Nano in the plastic bag, and sent it by UPS Ground (pre-paid label attached) today :)

I received email from Apple today.
Apple shipped 6th generation iPod Nano today according to the new serial number.
It took about two weeks since I shipped my 1st generation iPod Nano to Apple.

lbur145
Oct 11, 2012, 10:32 AM
Can anyone confirm that they are still sending out 6G nanos to replace 1G?

I sent mine off recently when I found out about the program, still waiting for Royal Mail to process the shipment.

halfnhalf
Oct 12, 2012, 05:42 PM
Can anyone confirm that they are still sending out 6G nanos to replace 1G?

I sent mine off recently when I found out about the program, still waiting for Royal Mail to process the shipment.

I'm also wondering/waiting for when they start sending 7th gens...

lbur145
Oct 12, 2012, 06:36 PM
Well they've already started to ship the 7th gen models now, but I doubt they would be sending 7th gens out as a replacement for free... it would be nice if they did though :p

lbur145
Oct 13, 2012, 06:28 AM
Just checked the repair status of mine and it's estimated delivery says Monday 15th October! Huzzah!

lbur145
Oct 13, 2012, 09:33 AM
Email received from Apple, I can confirm that they're replacing my 1st Gen nano with a 6th gen :)

matneh
Oct 15, 2012, 02:53 PM
So when do you think will they start replacing the 1st Gen Nano's with 7th Gens?

spencer6891
Oct 15, 2012, 06:34 PM
So when do you think will they start replacing the 1st Gen Nano's with 7th Gens?

I'm curious about this as well. I have a 1st gen but would not be willing to send it in for a 6th gen replacement which is an inferior design.

spencer6891
Oct 15, 2012, 08:38 PM

I'm curious about this as well. I have a 1st gen but would not be willing to send it in for a 6th gen replacement which is an inferior design.

cameronfree
Feb 25, 2013, 02:52 PM
Has anyone requested a replacement recently? Just curious if they've switched to replacing with the 7th Gen iPod.

I thought I had lost my 1st Gen, just found it and requested replacement. Can't believe program is still going on.

vader_slri
Feb 25, 2013, 09:35 PM
Still 6th gen - received a couple of weeks ago. I doubt they will ever switch to 7th gen.

Has anyone requested a replacement recently? Just curious if they've switched to replacing with the 7th Gen iPod.

I thought I had lost my 1st Gen, just found it and requested replacement. Can't believe program is still going on.

cameronfree
Feb 26, 2013, 08:52 AM
Still 6th gen - received a couple of weeks ago. I doubt they will ever switch to 7th gen.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured. My imagination got the best of me :)

Brian Y
Feb 26, 2013, 01:45 PM

They won't.

eRondeau
Feb 26, 2013, 05:33 PM
I got two exchanged the first week of December (2012). The program was still in effect. I got two of the little square ones, 6G I believe.

pooleman
Feb 27, 2013, 02:09 PM
I had a first gen nano that had the battery explode. It must have overheated and just expanded and burst the case apart. I threw it away. Damn!

henry72
Mar 2, 2013, 08:51 PM
Email received from Apple, I can confirm that they're replacing my 1st Gen nano with a 6th gen :)

I wish they're replacing it for the latest 7th gen. I guess I can't complain with Apple is replacing it for free but still, the 7th gen is the BEST nano yet :D

cameronfree
Mar 6, 2013, 10:51 PM
Will they send new headphones/cord?

mdehoogh
Mar 7, 2013, 11:16 AM
Will they send new headphones/cord?

No, if I remember right, the instructions specifically tell you not to include them.

Schtumple
Jun 1, 2013, 06:02 PM
I wish they're replacing it for the latest 7th gen. I guess I can't complain with Apple is replacing it for free but still, the 7th gen is the BEST nano yet :D

Yeah I was hoping for 7th gen, the 6th is kinda lame, guess they've got a lot of them left over unsold...

Wreckie
Jun 2, 2013, 06:37 AM
Yeah I was hoping for 7th gen, the 6th is kinda lame, guess they've got a lot of them left over unsold...

Nope, they are sending out just manufactured iPods, last one I got was made in April according to S/N.