PDA

View Full Version : Spillt water on new laptop

vivithemage
Dec 8, 2011, 08:13 PM
5 hours of owning my new MBA, spillt water on it...only on the side, a lil in the thunderbolt/usb/keyboard (1/3 of it maybe). I got it out, it's still running, USB and keyboard/lights work...should I just wait it out? haha.... ****.

McGiord
Dec 8, 2011, 08:16 PM
Keep it off for 48 hours, put it inside a bag full of rice, it will absorb the moisture.
Or get some silica gel bags.

vivithemage
Dec 8, 2011, 08:16 PM
That's a lot of rice, haha.

Aimson
Dec 8, 2011, 08:19 PM
me personally? take it back get a refund and buy it again, just so you know its fine.

vivithemage
Dec 8, 2011, 08:21 PM
Hrmmmmmmmmmm, that seems ******. I just got the extended applcare, let that take care of any problems.

palpatine
Dec 8, 2011, 08:25 PM
Hrmmmmmmmmmm, that seems ******. I just got the extended applcare, let that take care of any problems.

nope. doesn't cover spills. and, as i understand it, they have sensors inside to detect water damage.

best solution? none for this poor gadget. i don't eat or drink anywhere near my gadgets. i couldn't take the heartache.

johnhurley
Dec 8, 2011, 08:26 PM
5 hours of owning my new MBA, spillt water on it...only on the side, a lil in the thunderbolt/usb/keyboard (1/3 of it maybe). I got it out, it's still running, USB and keyboard/lights work...should I just wait it out? haha.... ****.

Shut it down immediately and let it dry out for a really long time ... lots of threads here with relevant advice.

I think a week is about right ( seriously ) ... and get some ventilation ( fan ) blowing on it. Probably the bag of rice may work ...

The apple warranty does not cover abuse like water damage.

wpotere
Dec 8, 2011, 08:28 PM
me personally? take it back get a refund and buy it again, just so you know its fine.

Cause this is the honest thing to do... :rolleyes:

ERIC273
Dec 8, 2011, 08:31 PM

I really want to tell you to return it but then i'd get stoned by the rest of the forum! I hate to admit it, but if that happened to me and I got it all visibly dry and it worked perfectly I would return it, but that is only because I have bad Anxiety!

wpotere
Dec 8, 2011, 08:56 PM
I really want to tell you to return it but then i'd get stoned by the rest of the forum! I hate to admit it, but if that happened to me and I got it all visibly dry and it worked perfectly I would return it, but that is only because I have bad Anxiety!

Maybe it is just me, but if I damage something I don't think that a store or Apple should eat the damage. I would just own up to it and get it fixed. I would check to see if maybe my credit card would cover it but returning it is just dishonest and I can't fathom doing it. I would have bad anxiety from returning it and being dishonest.

This is who I am though...

interrobang
Dec 8, 2011, 09:06 PM
Your credit card may cover accidental damage to recent purchases; American Express (for example) will give you a replacement within the first 90 days.

AppleCare does not cover accidents, and you cannot return a product you damaged.

Neolithium
Dec 8, 2011, 09:08 PM
I'd go for the bag of rice option first, if it didn't auto-shutdown you may just need to dry everything out. Since it's water and not something like milk, booze, pop, etc, you could be ok as long as it's been dried out completely.

I won't advocate returning it and getting a new one.

ERIC273
Dec 8, 2011, 10:08 PM
Maybe it is just me, but if I damage something I don't think that a store or Apple should eat the damage. I would just own up to it and get it fixed. I would check to see if maybe my credit card would cover it but returning it is just dishonest and I can't fathom doing it. I would have bad anxiety from returning it and being dishonest.

This is who I am though...

Well, I've never had to experience something like that, I am also pretty sure I wouldn't do it if I was in the situation. the OP asked what could he do!

David085
Dec 8, 2011, 10:48 PM
I drink a full glass of water about everyday near my computer on a coaster and I never experience spilling anything on the computer I am very careful when it comes to my gadgets

I would exchange it or ask for a refund and re-buy it in case it does effect it

vivithemage
Dec 8, 2011, 10:54 PM
Amazon wont have them for 10-20 days they said...all out of stock. Returning it seems like a bad idea, karma would come back and get me somehow.

I mean, she runs fine, only got maybe 5~ keys on the right side..tipped it sideways, canned air'd it, blew on it really hard, seems to be running a-ok. I think i'll just keep it. It's not like it was pop or something sticky. I was surprised I had to get a few drops of water out of the thunderbolt/usb ports on the right side though.

Xikum
Dec 9, 2011, 05:57 AM
I don't see why people are taking moral stance against returning the laptop. Sure, it isnt 100% honest, but seriously, what the hell does it mean to Apple? Apple are a multibillion dollar company, who make incredible markups on their technology. Even though I buy and love Apple products, sometimes I feel like they are doing as much scamming against us as this guy would be to him if he returned his MBA, purely because of the "Apple tax".

Return the laptop and get a refund. I fail to see why anybody should feel sorry for "poor Apple, the second richest company in the world".

wpotere
Dec 9, 2011, 06:37 AM
I don't see why people are taking moral stance against returning the laptop. Sure, it isnt 100% honest, but seriously, what the hell does it mean to Apple? Apple are a multibillion dollar company, who make incredible markups on their technology. Even though I buy and love Apple products, sometimes I feel like they are doing as much scamming against us as this guy would be to him if he returned his MBA, purely because of the "Apple tax".

Return the laptop and get a refund. I fail to see why anybody should feel sorry for "poor Apple, the second richest company in the world".

Who cares what it means to Apple, that isn't the point. It is what it means to YOU! If you are willing to put your morales and values on the line then you really can't be mad when someone or some company takes from you.

OP, more than likely it is fine if it is still running. I would simply leave it still for now so that any residual water can dry up. If it wasn't a huge spill you should be ok. That being said, it still might be worth taking it to a computer repair place or even Apple and telling them what happened. They can then open it up and make sure that there is no water trapped in there.

DaLurker
Dec 9, 2011, 07:31 AM

Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking. Something we should all strive for.

Xikum
Dec 9, 2011, 07:36 AM
Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking. Something we should all strive for.

Don't give me that whiteknight bullcrap, Apple haven't always been honest to their customers (e.g. putting non-server grade HDDs in advertised server grade Mac Minis, over-use of thermal paste on very older MBP's, charging an absolute fortune for RAM upgrades), and I highly doubt that this guy returning his computer is going to cause Apple to go under.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple and their computers, but I am in no way in debt to them or owe them anything. If this was me, I would return it.

johnhurley
Dec 9, 2011, 07:42 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love Apple and their computers, but I am in no way in debt to them or owe them anything. If this was me, I would return it.

The liquid sensors inside the machine I am guessing will be checked if one attempts to return a machine.

Often you see a genius take a machine "into the back room" ... guessing that is one of the first things that is happening in the back room.

wpotere
Dec 9, 2011, 08:04 AM
Don't give me that whiteknight bullcrap, Apple haven't always been honest to their customers (e.g. putting non-server grade HDDs in advertised server grade Mac Minis, over-use of thermal paste on very older MBP's, charging an absolute fortune for RAM upgrades), and I highly doubt that this guy returning his computer is going to cause Apple to go under.

Lol, it won't cause Apple to go under. However, that cost will get passed on to you on your next purchase and as I said, it isn't about Apple, it is about you. If you like being dishonest then go for it but don get mad when people call you out for it.

palpatine
Dec 9, 2011, 08:10 AM

You have two claims here.

One, Apple is dishonest (according to you) and it is OK to be dishonest yourself. Even assuming the company (a collection of individuals) could somehow be dishonest (can an abstract concept lie?), following this logic I'd have to screw over my parents, friends, family, and colleagues, because they've all lied at some point in their lives. I doubt you are really OK with that.

Two, Apple has money, so they can afford to take the hit for your negligence. The premise here seems to be that you are allowed to screw over someone if you do a calculation and determine that they have enough money to handle it. It's not a question of right or wrong for you, but a question of cash, and the more cash someone has, the more entitled we are to screw them over. I don't know how you are OK with that.

The OP at least seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Dry it out and use it.

vivithemage
Dec 9, 2011, 08:12 AM
That's my plan. It works, i'll dry it out..and keep it. I don't feel it was Amazon's fault, or Apple's, haha.

If it breaks down the road, i'll pay for it.

GoCubsGo
Dec 9, 2011, 08:17 AM
QUOTE=David085;13983332]I drink a full glass of water about everyday near my computer on a coaster and I never experience spilling anything on the computer I am very careful when it comes to my gadgets

I would exchange it or ask for a refund and re-buy it in case it does effect it

Winners. :rolleyes:
Amazon wont have them for 10-20 days they said...all out of stock. Returning it seems like a bad idea, karma would come back and get me somehow.

I mean, she runs fine, only got maybe 5~ keys on the right side..tipped it sideways, canned air'd it, blew on it really hard, seems to be running a-ok. I think i'll just keep it. It's not like it was pop or something sticky. I was surprised I had to get a few drops of water out of the thunderbolt/usb ports on the right side though.
Returning it is wrong. But as per the below post, it is clearly not what you intend to do. :)

Return the laptop and get a refund. I fail to see why anybody should feel sorry for "poor Apple, the second richest company in the world".If it means nothing to Apple then Apple wouldn't have liquid sensors built in, champ.

That's my plan. It works, i'll dry it out..and keep it. I don't feel it was Amazon's fault, or Apple's, haha.

If it breaks down the road, i'll pay for it.

Good for you. Nice to see some people can still be honest. But skip the rice if you've already been using it. It seems fruitless now.

johnhurley
Dec 9, 2011, 08:17 AM
The OP at least seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Dry it out and use it.

Well that is kind of optimistic here given that the OP posted ...
"I just got the extended applcare, let that take care of any problems."

Unless one has actually done something dumb like this to an expensive machine it is fairly easy to try to guess how it should be handled. Once it has been done though many of us might be tempted to try to return it without noting what was done to it.

That is one of the reasons apple has liquid sensors right? Let them be the judge of what has occurred or not ( apparently ) happened?

vivithemage
Dec 9, 2011, 08:19 AM
What I actually did was run it for 1-2 hours after...and just turned it off, put it in the sleeve, with 3 of those silicon packs, figure i'll leave it there for a 24-48 hours.

Xikum
Dec 9, 2011, 09:51 AM
You have two claims here.

One, Apple is dishonest (according to you) and it is OK to be dishonest yourself. Even assuming the company (a collection of individuals) could somehow be dishonest (can an abstract concept lie?), following this logic I'd have to screw over my parents, friends, family, and colleagues, because they've all lied at some point in their lives. I doubt you are really OK with that.

Two, Apple has money, so they can afford to take the hit for your negligence. The premise here seems to be that you are allowed to screw over someone if you do a calculation and determine that they have enough money to handle it. It's not a question of right or wrong for you, but a question of cash, and the more cash someone has, the more entitled we are to screw them over. I don't know how you are OK with that.

Apple have been dishonest in their products in the past. I already said how it was shown that at one point in time they put non-server grade HDDs in some Mac Minis when they advertised it was server grade. There are also pictures of the production line of the G4 (I think?) MBP, and the amount of thermal paste they used is ridiculous. The money that Apple charge for RAM upgrades is absurd, and they also have a bad habit of telling their customer what they want; then, implementing missing features in future updates (even after arguing that you don't need them).

To compare the 'emotional' attachment to your family/parents/friends/whatever is ridiculous. Apple are a company out to make money, and boy do they do that. Their products have a certain amount of "Apple tax" that will never go away, and if Apple could, I'm 100% sure they wouldn't think twice about increasing their prices if they could get away with it. They also charge a fortune for repairs, and even simple stuff such as transferring your data over to a new computer.

I never said giving it back would be honest, a good deed, or anything like that. It isnt. Its lying, and its expecting somebody else to make up for your mistake. However, I'd rather that a multibillion company took the hit (its a drop in the ocean for them) rather than myself if I could. Certainly an egoist outlook on the situation, but hey. OP asked for advice and that is mine. I'd rather save my own money than line the pockets of shareholders.

KPOM
Dec 9, 2011, 11:18 AM
Water damage can crop up over time, and unfortunately the MacBook Air doesn't have water resistance like some notebooks. The best bet is to leave it off for a few days. Otherwise, there might still be a little bit of water in there that will short the logic board in a few days. If your credit card covers accidental damage, then take it to a Genius Bar and have them check it out. If you do have liquids nearby frequently, consider getting a keyboard cover for the future.

vivithemage
Dec 9, 2011, 11:23 AM
Water damage can crop up over time, and unfortunately the MacBook Air doesn't have water resistance like some notebooks. The best bet is to leave it off for a few days. Otherwise, there might still be a little bit of water in there that will short the logic board in a few days. If your credit card covers accidental damage, then take it to a Genius Bar and have them check it out. If you do have liquids nearby frequently, consider getting a keyboard cover for the future.

I don't, I never get liquids on my laptops....I have had laptops/computers for years, even water cooling desktops, and I have never gotten water on my components.

Except this month, I got water on my iphone, TWICE, and now this! HOrrible month for me and electronics.

old-wiz
Dec 9, 2011, 04:34 PM

And when they check the machine and find water damage you will be stuck with the bill.

Plus what you suggest is fraud, not to mention unethical.

sostoobad
Dec 9, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hi, maybe take it back to an Apple store, tell them what happened and see if a Genius bar gent or lady can take a look at it and hopefully give it a clean bill of health.

Kyllle
Dec 9, 2011, 04:50 PM
If you got it from Apple, just return it. I'm pretty sure they have to give you a refund if it's within 14 days of purchase.

Also, I wouldn't feel bad about doing this; Apple does extensive research, and they know the percent of customers who will return their machines within the 14 day window. It is factored into the price of the gadget, meaning that you pay a bit more, in theory, to be able to return it no questions asked within 14 days.

wpotere
Dec 9, 2011, 05:37 PM
If you got it from Apple, just return it. I'm pretty sure they have to give you a refund if it's within 14 days of purchase.

Also, I wouldn't feel bad about doing this; Apple does extensive research, and they know the percent of customers who will return their machines within the 14 day window. It is factored into the price of the gadget, meaning that you pay a bit more, in theory, to be able to return it no questions asked within 14 days.

Care to cite your source on this? What will and does happen is that Apple won't take the hit, you and I do on our next purchase. That is standard business practice as is monitoring returns and the reason for it.

Some good advice in this thread and some real daft stuff too. You could simply go to Apple and tell them what happened. They may be generous and look at it for you just to make sure it is OK. If it were me, I would just pull it apart to check it myself.

Xikum
Dec 9, 2011, 06:03 PM
Care to cite your source on this? What will and does happen is that Apple won't take the hit, you and I do on our next purchase. That is standard business practice as is monitoring returns and the reason for it.

Some good advice in this thread and some real daft stuff too. You could simply go to Apple and tell them what happened. They may be generous and look at it for you just to make sure it is OK. If it were me, I would just pull it apart to check it myself.

"Some really daft advice"

Yea, like opening your brand new laptop and voiding your warranty and Applecare.

goMac
Dec 9, 2011, 06:36 PM
I mean, she runs fine, only got maybe 5~ keys on the right side..tipped it sideways, canned air'd it, blew on it really hard...

People need to stop doing this. While you're blowing some water out, you're also blowing water deeper into the machine and complicating the problem.

Bag of rice. No blowing.

wpotere
Dec 9, 2011, 06:48 PM
"Some really daft advice"

Yea, like opening your brand new laptop and voiding your warranty and Applecare.

You spill water on it then it is voided anyway. :rolleyes:

As I said, this is me and I have been working on electronics for well over 25 years now. I have circuit level repair experience.

If you "read" (you should actually do this sometime) my post, I stated that he should take it in and tell them what happened. Let them look at it. :rolleyes:

808?
Dec 9, 2011, 06:56 PM
Except this month, I got water on my iphone, TWICE, and now this! HOrrible month for me and electronics.

You need to keep a few kilograms of dry rice and big plastic air-tight bags on hand as your emergency water spillage repair kit. I do this and also have a iPhone sized plastic ziplock bag full of dry rice, just in case. ;)

robinsmith1986
Dec 9, 2011, 07:15 PM
You need to keep a few kilograms of dry rice and big plastic air-tight bags on hand as your emergency water spillage repair kit. I do this and also have a iPhone sized plastic ziplock bag full of dry rice, just in case. ;)

Are you sure that dry rice technique will work as water spillage repair kit? If the spillage is on the external parts only then I think it will be working but if it goes on the Internal parts, I guess it will not work..

808?
Dec 9, 2011, 07:27 PM
The dry rice trick works if you leave whatever hardware in a sealed bag/box for many days, not just a few hours. More days = better chance of all the moisture being absorbed by the rice.

thekev
Dec 9, 2011, 07:34 PM
What I actually did was run it for 1-2 hours after...and just turned it off, put it in the sleeve, with 3 of those silicon packs, figure i'll leave it there for a 24-48 hours.

Why would you keep it running? You'd want it off, and not plugged in. If it was possible to remove the battery I'd suggest that too. I wish the macbooks had spill resistance built in like others (as other people can spill on them too), but seeing as they don't, keep beverages a few feet away. It takes a few days for moisture to dry internally, not 24-48 hours.

That is correct. It can be damaged without immediate symptoms.

bearsalley34
Dec 9, 2011, 08:31 PM
assuming he uses the bag of rice, how does he make sure to get all of the grains of rice out of the thunderbolt/USB/other ports?

goMac
Dec 10, 2011, 03:37 AM
assuming he uses the bag of rice, how does he make sure to get all of the grains of rice out of the thunderbolt/USB/other ports?

Rice is usually bigger than that, but honestly, if you've spilt water on your computer, you have bigger problems than a grain of rice getting in your USB port.