PDA

View Full Version : Is Facebooks app THAT bad?

DVC78
Dec 21, 2011, 03:24 PM
Facebook users I'm looking to you for answers here.

I've got an iPhone 4s sitting next to me just waiting to be activated X-mas day as a gift to my wife. She's big into Facebook so that functionality has got to be there or this gift won't go over well!

Playing with this thing (the 4s) I'm honestly surprised you can't upload pics to Facebook via the phones photo library or facebooks mobile site, both of which I do all the time on my HTC Incredible II. That leaves it up to the dedicated app...

So I want to know if Facebook's iPhone app is really that bad. According to Appstore reviews it's a total disaster, and I can't check for myself without first activating the phone (which of course can't happen till right before I give it to her as a gift).

Opinions would be appreciated! Oh, and if anyone has experience and can compare/contrast both Facebook app versions (iPhone & Android) that would REALLY be helpful, as I know how the Android version works (not great, but doable).

Thanks in advance!!

bruleke
Dec 21, 2011, 03:26 PM
I use facebook app and I don't see anything wrong with it!
Never crashed, its fast, good interface, you can upload photos. A good app. I dont understand why so many bad reviews. Lets leave this task for someone else!

MarkG21
Dec 21, 2011, 03:28 PM
you can upload pictures from the phones photo library.

Jmclark
It does have it's bugs, but it's still a good, solid application.

MacDawg
I would say it depends entirely on the functionality you are looking for

Following the news feed, checking in places, uploading a picture, posting a status are all fine for me

0dev
You can upload photos from the app - just hit "Photo" on the main screen or the + button inside albums.

The app itself, though, is utterly terrible. Very buggy and crashes a lot.

abijnk
Dec 21, 2011, 03:29 PM
I've never had any complaints... Also, the last time I used the android app, it was slightly worse than the iPhone version, but they are pretty darn close.

nepalisherpa
Dec 21, 2011, 03:29 PM
Facebook users I'm looking to you for answers here.

I've got an iPhone 4s sitting next to me just waiting to be activated X-mas day as a gift to my wife. She's big into Facebook so that functionality has got to be there or this gift won't go over well!

Playing with this thing (the 4s) I'm honestly surprised you can't upload pics to Facebook via the phones photo library or facebooks mobile site, both of which I do all the time on my HTC Incredible II. That leaves it up to the dedicated app...

So I want to know if Facebook's iPhone app is really that bad. According to Appstore reviews it's a total disaster, and I can't check for myself without first activating the phone (which of course can't happen till right before I give it to her as a gift).

Opinions would be appreciated! Oh, and if anyone has experience and can compare/contrast both Facebook app versions (iPhone & Android) that would REALLY be helpful, as I know how the Android version works (not great, but doable).

Thanks in advance!!

I'm confused! So, you are able to use the 4S to go to the mobile Facebook site but you cannot test the Facebook app because you have to activate the phone? That does not make any sense.

Anyway, the app seems to have gotten a little bit better with the latest update. Notification is still a hit or miss!

verwon
Dec 21, 2011, 03:30 PM
Yes, it crashes on a regular basis on both my 4S and iPad. It also freezes, so you can't do anything, such as commenting on a post, or liking it. Another issue is that if you click to view a photo someone has posted, it can take anywhere from 10 to 15 seconds to do anything.

I don't like it anymore than I did the Android one.

0dev
Dec 21, 2011, 03:31 PM
Another issue is that it doesn't even say "via iPhone" on my status updates anymore. How are people meant to know I'm better than them now? ;)

ZombiePete
Dec 21, 2011, 03:32 PM
Having just recently come from the Android platform, they seem virtually identical to me. I mean, literally they are almost exactly the same.

yly3
Dec 21, 2011, 03:32 PM
The Facebook app has just been updated. I really have no complaint about it really and I use it daily. I am not the type of guy with like a gazzilion friends and 1000 mobile uploads but I refresh the Wall every now and then.

The interface is smooth, it's simple and efficient. You can upload photos, tag persons,check-in and all that, you can also use Facebook apps it seems. I haven't done personally, but I see that I have some Facebook widgets/games installed so it must be something.

I'm sure that for the regular Facebook user is more than enough. I also do not understand the complaints. Maybe it's reviews from the v1.0 days who knows.

MacDawg
Dec 21, 2011, 03:33 PM
I have not had the crashes others have complained about
But I am not a power FB user either

sweetbrat
Dec 21, 2011, 03:34 PM
I do have to quit and restart the app sometimes because the app loads but the content doesn't. I get to the Facebook screen, and then it just spins and spins trying to load the news feed. It doesn't happen very often, though. Once in a while the app will start to load and then crash, so I have to start it again. But like I said, it's once in a while. Besides those two things, everything else I need it for works just fine. And it seems to have improved with the last few updates. It used to crash or freeze a lot, but now just occasionally.

wordoflife
Dec 21, 2011, 03:34 PM
I'm not sure if it's because I have a 3GS, but Facebook has some serious performance issues. Sometimes it doesn't load at all, sometimes it crashes, sometimes its so slow and laggy. Tried reinstalling it and nothing happened.

Starting to wonder if I need some more horsepower to run this app.

GraphicsGeek
Dec 21, 2011, 03:48 PM
The iPhone version has gotten 10x better with the last update for me. Notifications are hit or miss though. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. The iPad version is what sucks. It's extremely buggy and slow. I don't even use the iPad version.

bandofbrothers
Dec 21, 2011, 03:50 PM
I've had no issues on my iPhone 4

DVC78
Dec 21, 2011, 03:52 PM
I'm confused! So, you are able to use the 4S to go to the mobile Facebook site but you cannot test the Facebook app because you have to activate the phone? That does not make any sense.

Anyway, the app seems to have gotten a little bit better with the latest update. Notification is still a hit or miss!

Yep. When you turn the phone on for the first time you can skip signing into itunes/activating the phone, leaving you free to play with it and browse the internet via wifi. Of course without signing into itunes/activating you can't download apps, which is where I'm at.

dotme
Dec 21, 2011, 03:53 PM
The Facebook app is weak, but it works. It used to be better, and probably will improve again - given all the negative feedback they are getting on the app store.

In its present condition, it's merely "acceptable" in my book. Odd quirks plague the thing - for example, it likes to spin that data wheel long after everything is loaded. That's irritating. But overall it's good enough to read feeds and make posts and that's what most people are after.

Now that FB has decided to put ads directly in newsfeeds in 2012, people will soon have much more to complain about than a poorly executed app anyway ;)

I think your "Mrs" will be happy - the Facebook app won't be a major disappointment, and overall, I think the 4S is a pretty sweet phone.

DVC78
Dec 21, 2011, 03:53 PM
you can upload pictures from the phones photo library.

Really, how?

0dev
Dec 21, 2011, 03:55 PM
Really, how?

Look at my post, I explain how.

----------

FB has decided to put ads directly in newsfeeds in 2012

For real? Guess I need to make sure that AdBlock extension stays updated then :p

LapsangSouchong
Dec 21, 2011, 03:57 PM
I've used FB on various mobile devices. I think it's a good FREE app. And yes, as others have said, you CAN upload photos.

dotme
Dec 21, 2011, 03:58 PM
For real? Guess I need to make sure that AdBlock extension stays updated then :p
Yep: http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/20/sponsored-stories-news-feed/

0dev
Dec 21, 2011, 04:00 PM
Yep: http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/20/sponsored-stories-news-feed/

Can't say no one saw that coming, I guess. I use Twitter far more than Facebook these days anyway.

clumsythief83
Dec 21, 2011, 04:01 PM
What I don't like is that we can not choose to be online/offline in the chat anymore.

salacious
Dec 21, 2011, 04:16 PM
facebook app is one of the best facebook apps i have used, and iv used it on alot of devices, iv got the 4s and its never crashed on me once, saying that each person will have a different experience and iv yet to experience the new timeline layout :S

Devil Dog 21
Dec 21, 2011, 04:17 PM
I don't think it's that bad at all. The Android version is by far worse in my opinion as it's always getting frozen and force closed. So far no issues for me with the FB app.

Savor
Dec 21, 2011, 04:31 PM
I have the FB app for iOS, Android, and WP. I think they are all pretty bad or just mediocre at best.

The FB on iOS was better back in 2009. A better and easier to navigate layout. I hate the sidebar on the left. The Windows Phone is less cluttered to look out, but also very barren and doesn't update that much. And the Android is like the iOS version, but much worse. Keeps asking me to take a tour when I don't want to. I'd say iOS is the best followed by WP and then Android which is more of a poor man's version from the iOS' version. But they ALL need improvement. None are that good, but can still be useful. It is like the official Twitter app. Not my favorite or the best, but I can still use them esp on WP and Android.

Edge1978
Dec 21, 2011, 04:34 PM
I'm not too fond of the latest update. I like to read the status updates on my iPhone, but in the update it seems they removed the option (show Status Updates or Show ALL Updates) So it's quite a pain in the butt to have to find the status updates. :rolleyes:

PlaceofDis
Dec 21, 2011, 04:34 PM
Facebook in general isn't that great. their site doesn't work half the time so i don't expect the app to be perfect either. but it is certainly functional most of the time.

Badrottie
Dec 21, 2011, 05:20 PM
Facebook app is the worst than old Facebook..it does not always update feeds at all and the notification doesn't tell much!

Dhelsdon
Dec 21, 2011, 05:45 PM
I use both the iPhone (4S) and iPad (2) versions of the app, and I don't have any of the issues people are complaining about. I use both daily and if ever do I have crashes or anything like that.

I do miss not being able to 'post via iPhone' now, but thats not a big deal. I also really like the Facebook messages app (standalone chat) it is zoo much better then the old chat on the app.

HappyDude20
Dec 21, 2011, 07:56 PM
With the latest update, can we sign on and off from chat???

I can't seem to view that option in either my iPhone or iPad.

lovish
Dec 25, 2011, 01:36 PM
I loved the ios facebook app and then came my horrible decision of shifting to android... androids facebook app just sucks and ios app is trillion times better and faster then android...

Love is eternal - Albus dumbledore