PDA

View Full Version : What to call the new Intel Macs?

Lunja
Jun 6, 2005, 08:25 PM
By the sound of things on this forum, a lot of people are in shock, or getting too hot and bothered over something which hasn't happened yet, so here's something for a bit of relief...

We're gonna need nicknames for this new breed of macs, so let's hear some names! Sensible suggestions are invited, humourous ones will be applauded :D

I'll go first- Mintel (Mac / Intel)

Any others?

dotdotdot
Jun 6, 2005, 08:27 PM
Uh... Mac?

mad jew
Jun 6, 2005, 08:30 PM
I'll go first- Mintel (Mac / Intel)

Isn't that a name for umm... special kids?

zelmo
Jun 6, 2005, 08:31 PM
I've seen Mactel a few times, but I like InteliMac myself.

eva01
Jun 6, 2005, 08:54 PM
xMac

no not from xBox but from x86 >_>

the_mole1314
Jun 6, 2005, 08:57 PM
Bigger question, will they have those ugly damn logos all over the machies and TV ads?

dejo
Jun 6, 2005, 08:59 PM
Bigger question, will they have those ugly damn logos all over the machies and TV ads?

My guess is no, no ugly Intel Inside stickers.

mikemodena
Jun 6, 2005, 09:04 PM
Jobs would not allow Intel Inside all over his products. You ever see an IBM sticker anywhere? I haven't.

iris_failsafe
Jun 6, 2005, 09:11 PM
hypermac xeon 4?

hyperbook Pentium?

rowanhall
Jun 6, 2005, 09:14 PM
it seems that if the word intel or pentium is mentioned on a tv advert, it plays that 'dum dum dee dum' tune and has the logo somewhere in the procedings. i can't imagine this in a apple advert, they are too slick for all that caper! maybe intel has a clause that if you advertise it, you must show the logo?

rowanhall
Jun 6, 2005, 09:20 PM
just thinking, it'll put an end to the whole wintel thing! or maybe mactel will be introduced! haha

the mac fanboys will have to get rid of their 'intel outside' logos aswell! haha

my guess is powermac iPentium :p

Mr. Anderson
Jun 6, 2005, 09:25 PM
its just going to redefine the use of the 'i' in front of all the names...

ibook
imac
iPowerMac (don't think so)

My guess is that there won't be any change what so ever - at least for now.

D

dejo
Jun 6, 2005, 09:26 PM
You may wanna check out this thread:

The new age of Mac: Macintel (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=130655)

clayj
Jun 6, 2005, 09:37 PM
Mintel sounds too much like:

- The French "minitel" system.
- The "Mentel Corporation", the bad guys from the Fortress movies with Christopher Lambert ("you are now the property of the Mentel Corporation", etc.).

They'll not want to incorporate any part of Intel into the name of the new machines, so I predict no change in the machine names... except maybe to call them G6's to distinguish them apart from the G4 and G5 series.

rowanhall
Jun 6, 2005, 09:41 PM
You may wanna check out this thread:

The new age of Mac: Macintel (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=130655)

haha! well spotted! never realised! too much going on in macrumors today, havn't tried to keep up!

MontyZ
Jun 7, 2005, 02:07 AM
Jobs would not allow Intel Inside all over his products. You ever see an IBM sticker anywhere? I haven't.
Maybe this is why IBM told Apple to take a hike??

cube
Jun 7, 2005, 02:54 AM
Black machines called the "Apple Sith" or something like that. Pronounced by the connoisseur as the "Apple *****".

AmigoMac
Jun 7, 2005, 02:55 AM
Help! I'm not in my mac now... (Typing with a Dell :mad: ) Someone can make a photoshop of Darwin with an "Intel inside" logo ... :eek:

dhracer88
Jun 7, 2005, 03:31 AM
My guess is no, no ugly Intel Inside stickers.

Rats! I love those stickers; while you're waiting for a download or when Windows is frozen, you can slowly (and carefully) peel off sections. :p

I'm thinking:

MI (Mission impossible you say...think Mac+Intel :D )

inMac

Mackin' :p

If they did stray from Mac, inteliMac would be the best, although it'd be pretty old two years down the line...

Wes
Jun 7, 2005, 04:33 AM
The future...

homerjward
Jun 7, 2005, 05:33 AM
"Power Mac Extreme Edition Supporting Hyper-Threading Technology."
I just had a thought. If they want to keep having dual procs in Power Macs, aren't they going to have to use Xeon? I thought the P4 ended multi processor support in the pentium line. Does the pentium, being PIII based, support 2 processors?

dhracer88
Jun 7, 2005, 02:21 PM
The future...

You forgot all the other stickers! If they put an intel sticker on, they are required to put an ATI/Nvidea graphics sticker on, and in place of Designed for Windows XP, a Designed for MAC OSX. :D

miloblithe
Jun 7, 2005, 02:25 PM
Shouldn't it be Xtel?

Win(dows)+(In)tel=Wintel
(OS) X+(In)tel)=Xtel

Looks a little Aztec though.

Sun Baked
Jun 7, 2005, 02:28 PM
I'm sticking with Apple PC, because that is really what it is.

The Mac is dead, but the OS lives on.

Besides Mactel is a trademarked computer hardware name, and not one Apple owns.

jibberia
Jun 7, 2005, 02:50 PM
So what should we call these in conversation?

Macintel (with same accents as macintosh) seems easy and flows well.. but scares me because it's so close to Wintel.

I think my boss had the best idea - Intelitosh!

Any other good ones? What are you guys saying?

Nickygoat
Jun 7, 2005, 03:05 PM
Shouldn't it be Xtel?

Win(dows)+(In)tel=Wintel
(OS) X+(In)tel)=Xtel

Looks a little Aztec though.
Or Ostel - just for the Antipodeans :p
It won't be Mintel (http://www.mintel.com/) - they're a market research company

Calihafan
Jun 7, 2005, 03:10 PM
OSx86

iN8
Jun 7, 2005, 03:21 PM
xMac

Because we don't want to tie our name to another processor.

James Philp
Jun 7, 2005, 03:25 PM
This is by no means the first thread on this.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=130773&highlight=call

BornAgainMac
Jun 7, 2005, 03:29 PM
Celeron Mini and Celeron iBook
Dual Powermac Celeron (for gaming)

jibberia
Jun 7, 2005, 03:33 PM
This is by no means the first thread on this.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=130773&highlight=call

Whoops. I looked but missed it. Sorry!

stridey
Jun 7, 2005, 04:20 PM
I prefer Mintelac. Mac, with intel inside (insert obnoxious four note ditty).

Sun Baked
Jun 7, 2005, 04:34 PM
I prefer Mintelac. Mac, with intel inside (insert obnoxious four note ditty).Mintelac...

Sounds like something you either take for diarrhea and an upset stomach, or something to used induce vomitting.

iRachel
Jun 7, 2005, 04:47 PM
Mintelac...

Sounds like something you either take for diarrhea and an upset stomach, or something to used induce vomitting.

ROFLMAO - that's seriously the funniest thing I've seen all day.

What about Apptel?

MontyZ
Jun 7, 2005, 05:14 PM
I think the term "Macintel" has already been coined and used by Jobs. So, that would be the official moniker.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes Intelitosh.

mactastic
Jun 7, 2005, 05:31 PM
Compu-Global-Hyper-Mega-Net-intosh? :p

iBunny
Jun 9, 2005, 08:23 PM
I dont think they they will keep Powermac anymore... or Powerbook... I mean they might, but I would like to see a change.

They should call it the Intelli-Mac

:D

eric_n_dfw
Jun 9, 2005, 08:40 PM
I dont think they they will keep Powermac anymore... or Powerbook... I mean they might, but I would like to see a change.

They should call it the Intelli-Mac

:D
PowerBook can stay since it was in place before the PowerPC came around. (All Mac laptops aside from the original suitcase sized Mac Portables have been called PowerBooks)

For the non-iMac's, I'd vote for one of the following:

Macintosh III (my favorite)
Macintosh IV (in case you consider the PowerMac to be the "III" series)
NeXTintosh! :D

ajwitte
Jun 9, 2005, 08:50 PM
"PowerMac" may have originally been the opposite of the 'plain' Macintosh (PowerPC vs 68k), but over time it's become the opposite of the iMac (pro vs consumer), so I don't think Apple will have any trouble continuing to call its pro Macs "PowerMacs". As for the PowerBook, as someone pointed out already, it had that name even when there was a 68k inside so the name will probably remain the same.

By the way, if the PowerPC is III, (and I'm assuming 68k is II), what's number I? The Lisa?

jefhatfield
Jun 9, 2005, 08:57 PM
mac

homerjward
Jun 9, 2005, 09:19 PM
"PowerMac" may have originally been the opposite of the 'plain' Macintosh (PowerPC vs 68k), but over time it's become the opposite of the iMac (pro vs consumer), so I don't think Apple will have any trouble continuing to call its pro Macs "PowerMacs". As for the PowerBook, as someone pointed out already, it had that name even when there was a 68k inside so the name will probably remain the same.

By the way, if the PowerPC is III, (and I'm assuming 68k is II), what's number I? The Lisa?
i believe 68k is 1, 601-604 is 2, 750 etc. is 3, 7xxx is 4, and 970 etc. is 5.

eric_n_dfw
Jun 10, 2005, 09:40 AM
i believe 68k is 1, 601-604 is 2, 750 etc. is 3, 7xxx is 4, and 970 etc. is 5.
According to the old MacKiDo (http://mackido.com/) site (not still being updated, but a wealth of info that David K. Every keeps up to date):

G1 = PowerPC 601 series http://mackido.com/Hardware/G1.html
G2 = PowerPC 603 & 604 series http://mackido.com/Hardware/G2.html
G3 = PowerPC 7x0 series http://mackido.com/Hardware/G3.html
G4 = PowerPC 7x00 series http://mackido.com/Hardware/G4.html
G5 = PowerPC 970 series (Mackido is too old for real G5 info - there are some interesting predictions at http://mackido.com/Hardware/G5.html and http://mackido.com/Hardware/G5Redux.html, but they turned out to be wrong since Motorola never did a G5 chip)

cube
Jun 10, 2005, 09:59 AM
PC

m-dogg
Jun 10, 2005, 10:17 AM
mac

I second that.

macstudent
Jun 10, 2005, 10:41 AM
Apple + Intel = Nipple

weg
Jun 10, 2005, 11:05 AM
PC
:D Just wanted to post the same...

simie
Jun 10, 2005, 11:10 AM
I bet it won't be called Intelmac because of this company

http://www.intelmac.com/index.html

chibianh
Jun 10, 2005, 11:16 AM
I'm afraid they might resort to what other pc mfr do.. Power Mac 2140, 2150, etc, etc...

I really hope they don't though and come up with something creative. UltraMac. PowerMac Gigator.. i dunno.. lol

Powerbooks will keep the Powerbook name though.. Powerbook M?

mischief
Jun 10, 2005, 11:22 AM
PC

*Whap*Smack*Whap*Smack*Whap*Smack*

Feel better?

Please go check out the OS X On Intel Q&A.

BTW: Despite the fact that the press has made the term "PC" synonimous with Windows the term applies to all machines designed for use in the common market (Personal Computer) and was originally coined to describe the Apple.

If you are implying that Apple will now simply be producing yet another Windows machine minus the Window please check the threads in the technical section. There's enough bad info floating around without adding sarcastic one liners.

When Steve Jobs re-did the product lineup he made the monikers' current context quite clear: "Powerbooks and PowerMacs for the Professionals and Power Users, iMac and iBook for the consumer and casual users." The consumer side has since expanded via iPod, eMac and the Mac Mini and the Pro side has expanded with the xServe line.

Note that none of these prefixes have changed as various chips have cycled through them except in technical reference manuals where differentiating the iMac rev. A-D, the Slotloading iMac, the iMac G4 and the iMac G5 (for example) is significant because all their workings are different. All of these were marketed and packaged as "iMac" or "The New iMac" with the exception of the iMac DV Special Edition which was not a processor difference but one of features. All of the current monikers are about features.

The current monikers will stay, only the suffixes used by the techies will change.

law guy
Jun 10, 2005, 11:29 AM
maybe intel has a clause that if you advertise it, you must show the logo?

In general, You can contract for whatever you want assuming that you have some bargaining power. I second the notion that Apple used it's bargaining power (which is the result of Intel wanting to sign Apple up and Apple having the option to stay with PPC, go with AMD, figure out some other arrangement, [in general just not go with Intel]) in a manner that will not result in stickers on the machines unless Apple so chooses and further used that bargaining power so that there's no financial penalty (i.e., higher prices) for not doing so.

I have to second that these, like my old IIsi, will be called Macintosh computers, Macs for short.

jayscheuerle
Jun 10, 2005, 11:31 AM
Why in the world would Apple, one of the worlds' most recognizable brands, give Intel free advertising in terms of incorporating its name with theirs? And doing so would rule out any AMD chips in the future. I'm guessing that whatever they're called won't have a processor reference at all because other PCs are going to be using the same processors and processor speed is generally irrelevant these days. They might as well name them after their generation or year and focus more on the OS inside.

Xmac07
Xbook06
Ximac06, etc...

cube
Jun 10, 2005, 11:32 AM
If you are implying that Apple will now simply be producing yet another Windows machine minus the Window please check the threads in the technical section.

Do you prefer "PC with DRM"?

chibianh
Jun 10, 2005, 11:34 AM
Do you prefer "PC with DRM"?

too many syllables.. ;)

whocares
Jun 10, 2005, 11:35 AM
As long as it's not a standard PC motherboard, but an Apple specific logicboard, the Mac lives on. Hence:

iBook
iMac
eMac
PowerBook
PowerMac
Xserve

the i/e indicates consumer level, Power the pro level, and X the server level. Why should this change? Just a new suffix to replace the G3/4/5.

chibianh
Jun 10, 2005, 11:36 AM
What about pulling a 'Prince' maneuver and call it the Apple 'insert symbol here' and then each lineup can have a different symbol.. lol

the i/e indicates consumer level, Power the pro level, and X the server level. Why should this change? Just a new suffix to replace the G3/4/5.

But the question is, what will they replace the suffix with? a symbol! :p

jayscheuerle
Jun 10, 2005, 11:39 AM
As long as it's not a standard PC motherboard, but an Apple specific logicboard, the Mac lives on. Hence:

iBook
iMac
eMac
PowerBook
PowerMac
Xserve

Wasn't "Power" a reference to the PowerPC chip?

whocares
Jun 10, 2005, 11:42 AM
Wasn't "Power" a reference to the PowerPC chip?

As pointed out above, it was first used in the early PowerBooks before the PowerPC era, but were first used on desktops for the PowerPC. So I guess yes and no. It now clearly identifies the pro machines, whatever the chip.
_________

On a lighter note, I suggest
Granny Smith
or
Golden Mac :p :p

Remember, Macintosh is a type of apple (the fruit ;) ).

whocares
Jun 10, 2005, 11:48 AM
What about pulling a 'Prince' maneuver and call it the Apple 'insert symbol here' and then each lineup can have a different symbol.. lol

But the question is, what will they replace the suffix with? a symbol! :p

How 'bout: PowerMac Dual P5 EE DualCore 3.5GHz SSE3 w/ HT

Is that enough suffix? :p

jayscheuerle
Jun 10, 2005, 11:49 AM
As pointed out above, it was first used in the early PowerBooks before the PowerPC era, but were first used on desktops for the PowerPC. So I guess yes and no. It now clearly identifies the pro machines, whatever the chip.

If that's the case, I'd stick with the same names as well. Give the "business as usual. move along folks" nod to the transition, especially since they can't point to the processors as being special.

Doctor Q
Jun 10, 2005, 12:24 PM
For further discussion on this topic, see the MacPolls (http://www.macpolls.com/?poll_id=472) survey.