Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tweetbotlogo-150x151.jpg

Popular iPhone Twitter client Tweetbot has finally arrived on the iPad, with a user interface instantly familiar to any current Tweetbot user. Designed for the Twitter power-user, Tweetbot packs a lot of punch into an intuitive, slick interface, with unique functionality like Smart Gestures which give quick access to a variety of features through double or triple-taps.

The Next Web and Business Insider have more in-depth reviews.

The app is $2.99 and is a separate purchase from the iPhone app, a fact some users may dislike, but Tweetbot co-developer Paul Haddad explained his thoughts behind the pricing strategy to Business Insider:
People complain that it isn't $.99 or free. But we never said we'd make Tweetbot universal. If you look at the other paid universal Twitter clients they are for the most part $5 and I think we have more features than those, so we're comfortable with the pricing and having separate apps.
tweetbotscreenshot.jpg

Also released today was Tweetbot 2.0 for iPhone, bringing updated timeline, direct message, and reply views, as well as a number of other smaller changes. It's a solid upgrade that's free for current Tweetbot for iPhone users.

Tweetbot for iPad is available for $2.99 from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Tweetbot 2.0 for iPhone is available for $2.99 from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Tweetbot for iPad Hits The App Store

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I just wish there is a universal version. Sell it for $3.99. It feels wrong to have 2 separate apps. Oh well.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
At least they didn't call it "Tweetbot HD", something that always bugs me as iPad apps are lower resolution than iPhone.
I have no problem with this pricing, they make very nice apps, well worth the money and used daily, and I wont hesitate to buy this, as soon as I get home to my iPad.

xFenixKnightx

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A406)

Sweet! Buying right when I get home.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
At least they didn't call it "Tweetbot HD", something that always bugs me as iPad apps are lower resolution than iPhone.
I have no problem with this pricing, they make very nice apps, well worth the money and used daily, and I wont hesitate to buy this, as soon as I get home to my iPad.

1024x768

960x640

WAT

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
If it is as good as the iphone app it is worth another $3. But I just wish they could come up with a way to keep things in sync between the two (for example, read / unread, messages, etc).

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
If it is as good as the iphone app it is worth another $3. But I just wish they could come up with a way to keep things in sync between the two (for example, read / unread, messages, etc).

Tweetbot supports syncing through the Tweet Marker service.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
I just wish there is a universal version. Sell it for $3.99. It feels wrong to have 2 separate apps. Oh well.

Yeah, because people who own both an iPad and iPhone are obviously too poor to pay $4 for something.

And it certainly isn't for the "principle." The developer has to do extra work to make and maintain an iPad version.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Okay, I agree the iPhone app is great, but it feels kind of a ripoff even though its just $2.99.

Just make a universal app and sell it for $2.99.

How would making it universal and just bumping the price by a dollar (or keeping it the same price as the current iPhone app as dethmaShine suggests) cover their development costs for the iPad version?

Also, it's not like this is just a blown up version of the iPhone app. The folks at Tapbots actually seem to like putting out quality stuff, and if you want them to continue doing so, you can by simply purchasing the iPad app.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
I love Tweetbot on the iphone.
I have used Tweetings HD on the ipad up until now so don't know if I will switch but I am very tempted!

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Am I alone in thinking it's ugly? I tried to get away with the iPhone version but it reminded me of free forum skins from years back: a matter of personal preference, but a shame given the strong featureset.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I agree that a universal version is the way to go moving forward. Just increase the price to cover both the iPhone & iPad versions.

As for the developer's comments - I find it perversely amusing that people who will drop several hundred dollars on a device will then complain about spending $3 on quality software for it. Tapbots is an independent 2-man operation. They have to cover their development & push notification expenses somehow.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
As for the developer's comments - I find it perversely amusing that people who will drop several hundred dollars on a device will then complain about spending $3 on quality software for it. Tapbots is an independent 2-man operation. They have to cover their development & push notification expenses somehow.

Perfectly stated. We have no problem supporting Apple. So lets support quality developers, who help make the Apple ecosystem a reality.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I agree that a universal version is the way to go moving forward. Just increase the price to cover both the iPhone & iPad versions.

Why should the people that have one device subsidize the price for people that have both an iPhone and an iPad? :)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
At the end of the day, $2.99 is a good price, especially since the company offers major upgrades for free (e.g., Tweetbot 2.0 for iPhone is free update to previous users) and app offers push notification service at no extra charge.

That said, the app feels like a port of iPhone version than something that is optimized for iPad experience. Left side panel on landscape orientation is absolutely and unnecessarily very wide. Aside from iPad version having both landscape and portrait orientations, there's nothing exclusive nor different.

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
How would making it universal and just bumping the price by a dollar (or keeping it the same price as the current iPhone app as dethmaShine suggests) cover their development costs for the iPad version?

Also, it's not like this is just a blown up version of the iPhone app. The folks at Tapbots actually seem to like putting out quality stuff, and if you want them to continue doing so, you can by simply purchasing the iPad app.

I'm not saying bumping the price by a dollar. I'm saying, release this iPad app separately, but make this app a universal app that contains the iPhone version as well.

This would be the same price as both iPad and iPhone version currently combined.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I'm not saying bumping the price by a dollar. I'm saying, release this iPad app separately, but make this app a universal app that contains the iPhone version as well.

This would be the same price as both iPad and iPhone version currently combined.

:confused: So are you saying iPhone version $2.99, Universal version $5.99? That would just be odd. The same or more expensive for everyone. (Especially if you purchase the iPhone version first. aka Existing customers.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.