PDA

View Full Version : 10.8 All the Little Things!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

baryon
Feb 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
In honor of the "10.7 All the Little Things! (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1104112)" thread on the Lion forum, I'd like to start one for Mountain Lion!

So talk about small details, little things that don't really get mentioned anywhere. Even the slightest change from Lion deserves to be noticed!

I heard someone say that the Devices list in the Finder sidebar can now be moved back to the top, for example.

Joe HS
Feb 16, 2012, 04:52 PM
In Messages if you click the notifications bubble you can reply to an incoming message from it. Hoping that comes to iOS...

MrRoyksopp
Feb 16, 2012, 04:54 PM
I heard in a video on youtube that it's going to be a software update, somebody know about that?

ajvizzgamer101
Feb 16, 2012, 05:08 PM
Some new "Slideshows" for Screen Savers. They are pretty neat.

adamtheturtle
Feb 16, 2012, 05:09 PM
I'm not 100% sure that this wasn't in Safari 5.1 but you can add the address book to the bookmarks bar (I have links to Facebook for each contact for example).

kirky29
Feb 16, 2012, 05:10 PM
I know I've said several times today about the ability to move devices (or shared) to the top of the finder sidebar (finally!)

Also searching within Launchpad, instant filtering.

TheBen
Feb 16, 2012, 05:19 PM
In QuickLook, there's now a share button, includes Email, Message and one more thing I can't remember (not Twitter though).

Another thing I found is that using Messages, you can send files over, with no restrictions to certain types of files nor to size (for example, I was able to send the Messages beta dmg to myself over iMessage. It was pretty fast as well).

GoGa
Feb 16, 2012, 06:08 PM
My favourite 'little thing' is probably that safari tabs now sync with iOS via iCloud.

Unggoy Murderer
Feb 16, 2012, 06:10 PM
My favourite 'little thing' is probably that safari tabs now sync with iOS via iCloud.
OMG, awesome!

AdvocateUK
Feb 16, 2012, 06:12 PM

How does this work?

I have 6 tabs open in Safari on ML and on opening Safari on my iPad I don't see any of them.

GoGa
Feb 16, 2012, 06:21 PM
How does this work?

I have 6 tabs open in Safari on ML and on opening Safari on my iPad I don't see any of them.

I haven't actually installed ML yet, but I read it on The Verge, I'm guessing it will enabled in a iOS update (if it's not already enabled).

Cougarcat
Feb 16, 2012, 06:27 PM
Yes, Tabs and Document sync aren't enabled yet.

bushido
Feb 16, 2012, 07:19 PM
how would that work tho? if i have different tabs on 3 different devices open how will it decide which ones to sync or will each device end up with like 9 tabs

Joe HS
Feb 16, 2012, 07:27 PM
how would that work tho? if i have different tabs on 3 different devices open how will it decide which ones to sync or will each device end up with like 9 tabs

The second device will already be loading the tabs you had open on the first by the time you put the first one down, I would hope anyway.

Jagardn
Feb 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
I've been wondering how the two finger left swipe will work for Notification Center while Safari is in the foreground. Right now the two finger swipe is to go forward a page.

Joe HS
Feb 16, 2012, 07:55 PM
I've been wondering how the two finger left swipe will work for Notification Center while Safari is in the foreground. Right now the two finger swipe is to go forward a page.

Notification Center's swipe has to start from the very righthand edge of the trackpad.

rorschach
Feb 16, 2012, 08:32 PM
General
-Option to save directly to iCloud from Save dialog in TextEdit (and presumably any app that supports iCloud document syncing)

http://i.imgur.com/PUHel.png

-When a document that is using Versions is changed, the "Edited" in the titlebar of the document pulsates blue for a few seconds.

-"Duplicate" now has a keyboard shortcut: Cmd-Shift-S. When you select Duplicate, a copy of the current document pops out and the titlebar becomes an editable text field, allowing you to enter a new name, hit enter, and be done.

http://i.imgur.com/OWGVY.png

-Option to show the Displays menu item "Never," "Always," or "Automatically" (presumably only when you have a second display connected)

Safari
-New "Passwords" tab in Safari preferences

-"Tell websites not to track me" option

-Option to turn off Google/Bing/Yahoo search suggestions

http://i.imgur.com/NFkTa.png

-Websites can provide notifications in Notification Center

http://i.imgur.com/lS5NL.png

-"Display images when the page opens" option (default is obviously checked)

-Several sharing options when right-clicking on an image on a page: Email, Message, Twitter, AirDrop, and Flickr

-Ability to rename bookmarks directly in the Bookmarks Bar

http://i.imgur.com/DUtdl.png

Finder

-New "Share" submenu when right-clicking on a file: Email, Message, AirDrop

Dashboard

-The widgets bar along the bottom for adding new widgets has been replaced with a Launchpad-style picker - including the ability to search.

http://i.imgur.com/ZFlU3.png

QuickTime X

-Controls remain hidden when the movie is paused

pancakedrawer
Feb 16, 2012, 08:32 PM
In QuickLook, there's now a share button, includes Email, Message and one more thing I can't remember (not Twitter though).

Another thing I found is that using Messages, you can send files over, with no restrictions to certain types of files nor to size (for example, I was able to send the Messages beta dmg to myself over iMessage. It was pretty fast as well).

They have finally solved the issue that has plagued humanity since the invention of the internet.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/file_transfer.png

dweezle3
Feb 16, 2012, 08:59 PM
Some of these aren't "little things", but most are:
http://www.cultofmac.com/147043/30-new-os-x-mountain-lion-features-in-2-minutes-video/

ixodes
Feb 16, 2012, 09:10 PM
Oh, the thrill of it all...

bbhegedus
Feb 16, 2012, 10:10 PM
The new tabs in Safari look like the tabs on the iPad's version of Mobile Safari.

You can launch Notification Center via a circle with a black dot inside of it, in the menu bar on the far right corner.

Launchpad icons are smaller

Location Services are disabled by default. You'll have to reenable them in order to turn on Find My Mac in the iCloud settings.

lookmark
Feb 16, 2012, 10:22 PM
Awesome thread.

Favenris
Feb 16, 2012, 10:29 PM
I hope people can be kind enough to post screen shots for us. :) Particularly that Safari iPad tab new look, it sounds very interesting. Changing over to the Chrome-styled URL address bar is exactly, in my opinion.

ECUpirate44
Feb 16, 2012, 10:32 PM
You can search google right from the safari URL bar. About time!

Ddyracer
Feb 16, 2012, 11:14 PM
Does finder still have that ugly gray icons in ML? Or is it color again like SL?

Lukeit
Feb 16, 2012, 11:43 PM
I have downloaded ML but it is still "sitting" in the application folder waiting for tonight... One question though about installation process... is there an option to upgrade from 10.7 or a clean installation over Lion is the only way possible?

I'm shivering to the thought of having to reinstall ALL my applications, and passwords, and preferences ...

hidea
Feb 16, 2012, 11:49 PM
Anyone else notice the change in the text rendering in 10.8 when compared to 10.7?

Some texts (in various apps) appear "faint". Like they changed the aliasing method?

http://cl.ly/1G0b1P3x2C202I21193G

http://cl.ly/0i3Q0O3i2R1E2u3q0D0s

scottrichardson
Feb 17, 2012, 12:38 AM
Anyone else notice the change in the text rendering in 10.8 when compared to 10.7?

Some texts (in various apps) appear "faint". Like they changed the aliasing method?

Actually this is a good sign. Traditionally, Mac OS X has rendered fonts too thick and bold compared to other platforms.

As a web designer, when we mockup websites in Photoshop with custom fonts, they look great. But when you finally build them and load them in Safari, the fonts all look like you have set them to bold, even when they are not. Perhaps this will fix a much-complained-about font rendering issue on Mac.

hidea
Feb 17, 2012, 01:00 AM
Actually this is a good sign. Traditionally, Mac OS X has rendered fonts too thick and bold compared to other platforms.

As a web designer, when we mockup websites in Photoshop with custom fonts, they look great. But when you finally build them and load them in Safari, the fonts all look like you have set them to bold, even when they are not. Perhaps this will fix a much-complained-about font rendering issue on Mac.

That's got more to do with Photoshop's way of aliasing texts, though. I did a bit of digging around, it's a shift in CALayers.

CodeBreaker
Feb 17, 2012, 01:35 AM
Awesome thread.

If I end up buying ML (and I know for sure that I will), it will be because of this thread. Thanks to all the developers for keeping us informed about all the new goodies and annoyances. :)

Menopause
Feb 17, 2012, 01:57 AM
Is the searching in Launchpad initiated by just typing? Or do you need to move your cursor to the search field and click it before you type?

I know I've said several times today about the ability to move devices (or shared) to the top of the finder sidebar (finally!)

Also searching within Launchpad, instant filtering.

AndyMoore
Feb 17, 2012, 02:12 AM
Is the searching in Launchpad initiated by just typing? Or do you need to move your cursor to the search field and click it before you type?

You can just start typing.

Crzyrio
Feb 17, 2012, 02:12 AM

Just type away and it starts filtering, no need to click anywhere :)

Really Love the 2 finger slide for the notification centre. Although I am not sure how useful notification centre will actually be on a Laptop

AndyMoore
Feb 17, 2012, 02:15 AM
Finder still has the grey icons.

AndyMoore
Feb 17, 2012, 02:20 AM
Also, Firewall is OFF by default after installation . . . that's not great Apple.

djrod
Feb 17, 2012, 02:29 AM

It's a browser thing, you can fix it with CSS3. If you think your custom fonts looks fatty in Safari...try Firefox, they are megabold

----------

Also, Firewall is OFF by default after installation . . . that's not great Apple.

It's been always like that

AndyMoore
Feb 17, 2012, 02:29 AM
I've not seen this mentioned anywhere else but there's a new (to me) icon in the System Preferences pane called Ink that has something to do with hand writing recognition. Also, it's a 32-bit preference pane so requires a restart of System Preferences when selected.

shmonkus
Feb 17, 2012, 02:31 AM
Mountain Lion looks awesome, however I have 2 burning questions:

1. Will it make the tea, and do the dishes?

2. More importantly, will it incorporate better TRIM support for 3rd party SSD's without resorting to using 3rd party enabler apps?

AndyMoore
Feb 17, 2012, 02:37 AM
It's been always like that

Just because it's always been OFF by default doesn't mean that Apple shouldn't get with the times and have it ON by default.

Beavix
Feb 17, 2012, 02:49 AM
I've not seen this mentioned anywhere else but there's a new (to me) icon in the System Preferences pane called Ink that has something to do with hand writing recognition.

You probably have or had a tablet connected to your computer?

Crzyrio
Feb 17, 2012, 02:57 AM
I've not seen this mentioned anywhere else but there's a new (to me) icon in the System Preferences pane called Ink that has something to do with hand writing recognition. Also, it's a 32-bit preference pane so requires a restart of System Preferences when selected.

I believe thats a third part app, I used to have it installed on Lion.

AppleFanBoy888
Feb 17, 2012, 03:02 AM
The scroll bar is enlarges when you hover over it.

jayhawk11
Feb 17, 2012, 03:05 AM
Still no TRIM support for third party drives. I was hoping they would sneak that in.

simonthevillain
Feb 17, 2012, 03:24 AM
Can anyone tell me if it is still possible to scroll horizontally with two fingers although the two finger swipe gesture seems to be reserved for the Notification Center?
Is it possible to disable the gesture for the Notification Center?

AndyMoore
Feb 17, 2012, 03:39 AM

Strange, this was a fresh install of ML in a Parallels VM . . .

adamtheturtle
Feb 17, 2012, 03:53 AM
Can anyone tell me if it is still possible to scroll horizontally with two fingers although the two finger swipe gesture seems to be reserved for the Notification Center?

I'm not sure about disabling the gesture but Notification Center is only opened when you swipe from the right edge, something you're unlikely to do when horizontal scrolling.

jayhawk11
Feb 17, 2012, 03:54 AM

Already been answered several times.

Here's a fun one: The checkbox for "Reopen windows when logging back in" now remembers your selection. Uncheck it once and it stays off forever.

Cmd-the-World
Feb 17, 2012, 04:01 AM

It is not a third party app it is a systems preference that, as far as I can remember, has been present in Snow Leopard and definitely in Lion (and I think earlier as well). It only shows up when you connect a graphics tablet.

GoGa
Feb 17, 2012, 04:24 AM
This is now probably my favourite small thing: You can send any file to IOS or OS X with Messages! :D

Kariya
Feb 17, 2012, 04:32 AM
Mountain Lion looks awesome, however I have 2 burning questions:

1. Will it make the tea, and do the dishes?

2. More importantly, will it incorporate better TRIM support for 3rd party SSD's without resorting to using 3rd party enabler apps?

Still exclusive to Apple SSDs

Brendando
Feb 17, 2012, 04:33 AM
I could be wrong, but in the Accounts Pref-Pane when you go to change your picture, it has one of the new white "pop" pop-overs that offers 4 options: Defaults, Recents, Faces and Camera. Nice to see some more UI unification following their own new introductions in Lion, seems neater somehow. Also nice to see faces integration too.

danb77
Feb 17, 2012, 04:33 AM
Gmail webmail detects the notification centre and offers options for desktop notifications. They don't appear to work yet though (this is really a Chrome feature so may not mean much).

Brendando
Feb 17, 2012, 04:43 AM
Small one:
App Store finally has fullscreen mode. Was surprised that that wasn't incorporated into the release of Lion, to be perfectly honest. Would be nice to see it in a few others for consistency's sake- for example, in System Preferences.

hwojtek
Feb 17, 2012, 04:48 AM
It's there since PPC Tiger, appears if you have a tablet device connected (or the virtual machine makes the guest OS think it is connected) - and it seems to me by the screenshots, it hasn't changed a bit from the Tiger and the versions following.

Menopause
Feb 17, 2012, 05:14 AM
Just type away and it starts filtering, no need to click anywhere :)

Really Love the 2 finger slide for the notification centre. Although I am not sure how useful notification centre will actually be on a Laptop

You can just start typing.

Thanks guys, sounds great! :)

Bigtree
Feb 17, 2012, 05:19 AM
Small one:
App Store finally has fullscreen mode. Was surprised that that wasn't incorporated into the release of Lion, to be perfectly honest. Would be nice to see it in a few others for consistency's sake- for example, in System Preferences.

I wonder if it will support gestures?

east85
Feb 17, 2012, 05:27 AM

I actually prefer the bolder form factor. It's one of the first things I noticed upon switching from PC to MAC. The bold look is nice, makes things a bit easier to read and seems to smooth out the edges for a nice look.

I suppose this could bother people who are trying to design a uniform website, but just speaking personally I prefer it.

GoGa
Feb 17, 2012, 05:37 AM
I wonder if it will support gestures?

Just tested gestures, and it does! Its just like going back a page in safari :D

OS X Mountain Lion is pretty awesome.

plexdk
Feb 17, 2012, 05:43 AM
Does finder support gestures? (back gesture)

Donza
Feb 17, 2012, 05:57 AM
Does finder support gestures? (back gesture)

Nope.

JPOWA
Feb 17, 2012, 06:08 AM
Anyone tried to install and run vmware fusion 4 or parallels 7 on a mouton lion clean install?

Vmware doesn't run and parallels fail to open my xp virtual machine!

plexdk
Feb 17, 2012, 06:28 AM
hmm since notification center is a 2 finger swipe, i guess this means you wont be able to swipe forward in safari/app store .. ?

JPOWA
Feb 17, 2012, 06:32 AM
hmm since notification center is a 2 finger swipe, i guess this means you wont be able to swipe forward in safari/app store .. ?

Yes you can! The swipe for notifications it only works on left corner of the trackpad! ;)

djrod
Feb 17, 2012, 06:56 AM
When you install ML you can't create the main user with no password

DeckMan
Feb 17, 2012, 07:01 AM

Again, it only opens if you swipe from the right edge. Scrolling and swiping forward will still work.

----------

This is now probably my favourite small thing: You can send any file to IOS or OS X with Messages! :D

Wait, you can send files to iOS? How will they be stored, and can you later send them from there to another Mac?

yetanotherdave
Feb 17, 2012, 07:02 AM
My favourite new feature that will let me drop a $20p/a subscription to spanning sync is that iCal now lets you properly 2 way sync all your google calendars natively in the app, prefs, accounts, delegation. Previously it would only show your main account, or use CalDav which didn't work properly.

innominato5090
Feb 17, 2012, 07:09 AM
Already been answered several times.

Here's a fun one: The checkbox for "Reopen windows when logging back in" now remembers your selection. Uncheck it once and it stays off forever.

halleluja! that's an awesome thing!

Joe HS
Feb 17, 2012, 07:17 AM
When you install ML you can't create the main user with no password

I did.

----------

Large File transfers can be cancelled from the Files or Folders in the new location.
http://i44.tinypic.com/1564jgl.png

Joe HS
Feb 17, 2012, 07:31 AM
Chess actually supports full-screen now, as advertised an operating system ago, as well as Game Center. Oh, and it's got the worlds laziest backdrop behind the board.

http://i39.tinypic.com/4g41vb.png

bhillinger
Feb 17, 2012, 07:43 AM
Small one:

Also, the back and foward buttons are under the window control buttons.

----------

Another one: the font "Mac OS X / OS X" in "About this Mac" has changed; in Lion and previous versions it was Lucida Grande, in Mountain Lion it is Myriad Pro.

http://i42.tinypic.com/fz3mzn.jpg

mystera
Feb 17, 2012, 08:03 AM
Is the toolbar icon next to spotlight notification center? The target like icon.

CrzyCanuck72
Feb 17, 2012, 08:46 AM
My favourite new feature that will let me drop a $20p/a subscription to spanning sync is that iCal now lets you properly 2 way sync all your google calendars natively in the app, prefs, accounts, delegation. Previously it would only show your main account, or use CalDav which didn't work properly.
screenshot?

Blipp
Feb 17, 2012, 09:43 AM
I've been quite impressed with the performance and additional features so far with Mountain Lion. Though I was happy enough with Lion this does feel like what Lion was truly meant to be.

My single largest gripe is that they haven't fixed how dual monitor setups are handled with fullscreen apps. It's totally ridiculous that a full screen app on one monitor disables the second monitor from use. I can't fathom how they ended up with that being "working as designed". Giving us the ability to swipe between fullscreen apps on multiple displays independently, have one full screen (and swipeable) app on one and your desktop on the other, or just allow two unique desktops a la Spaces would all be amazing additions. That would really take this release to the next level IMO and add a lot of lost functionality from Lion and Mission Control back into Mountain Lion while enhancing it even further.

rorschach
Feb 17, 2012, 09:52 AM

That's actually been there since 2002 in Jaguar.

DeckMan
Feb 17, 2012, 10:37 AM
My single largest gripe is that they haven't fixed how dual monitor setups are handled with fullscreen apps.

So if there's a window on your secondary monitor, and you make it fullscreen, does it still get moved to the main monitor in the dev preview? :/

Cougarcat
Feb 17, 2012, 10:48 AM
Would be nice to see it in a few others for consistency's sake- for example, in System Preferences.

It would be pointless in System Prefs because you never scroll the window.

Joe HS
Feb 17, 2012, 11:45 AM
Drop shadows behind ML optimised apps are much smaller than third-party and first-party apps which are unchanged since Lion. I prefer the older ones, personally.

http://i40.tinypic.com/vdzjf5.png

Joe HS
Feb 17, 2012, 12:19 PM
There is no spinning circle under the Apple logo when booting.

AppleFanBoy888
Feb 17, 2012, 12:33 PM
The Audio Panel in System Profiler includes more info.

Kubus
Feb 17, 2012, 01:10 PM
Cool little loading bars

http://www.rlyslow.com/Random/loadingml.png

TheGdog
Feb 17, 2012, 01:20 PM
Gmail webmail detects the notification centre and offers options for desktop notifications. They don't appear to work yet though (this is really a Chrome feature so may not mean much).

I could be wrong, but I think this is a feature already present in gmail. I don't have chrome on my machine at the moment, but I recall seeing the ability to have desktop notifications. Don't think it has anything to do with notification center. I am not sure why you would want to do that, just get a good client and you want have to leave a browser window up.

Sound214
Feb 17, 2012, 01:52 PM
In Safari 5.2, everything after "/" is grey.

Also, you can now choose AirPlay under "Output" in system preferences.

Blipp
Feb 17, 2012, 02:05 PM
So if there's a window on your secondary monitor, and you make it fullscreen, does it still get moved to the main monitor in the dev preview? :/

You can fullscreen an app on either display but it will make only that single display usable.

sea stobble
Feb 17, 2012, 02:24 PM
Airplay output can also be accessed through option-clicking the audio from the top menu, though it doesn't seem to be working for me.

http://i.imgur.com/w0Jvo.png

jayhawk11
Feb 17, 2012, 03:32 PM
Here's another hidden one: Screen Sharing now has a lot more options, almost like a Remote Desktop-lite. You can see the new options in the top left.

Edit: After a ton of PM's and requests, here's the link for my wallpaper: InterfaceLIFT "Glowing Horizon" (http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/details/2823/glowing_horizon.html)

brdeveloper
Feb 17, 2012, 03:40 PM
A Finder with tab support would be really nice. I don't like to use Exposé to find all open windows on SL. Finder would look more like Safari. I also like the Windows Explorer view with left side showing folders and the right side showing folder contents.

I can find no arguments to defend Finder against Windows Explorer...

rorschach
Feb 17, 2012, 04:07 PM
The incredibly annoying "Force Reload" issue remains in Mountain Lion, but the error is "prettier" now:

http://i.imgur.com/2rPsF.png

baryon
Feb 17, 2012, 05:14 PM
Here's another hidden one: Screen Sharing now has a lot more options, almost like a Remote Desktop-lite. You can see the new options in the top left.

How do you do screen sharing? Is that an app or what?

DeckMan
Feb 17, 2012, 05:23 PM
You can fullscreen an app on either display but it will make only that single display usable.

Well that's an improvement, at least, though it's still not optimal. I'm hoping to see that behavior in 10.7.4, though.

damson34
Feb 17, 2012, 06:30 PM
For people worried about the two finger swipe affecting Safari page swipe, there is no need to worry. It was my first concern too. Apple uses the term swipe but its really not. Its just like on the iphone but instead of on top its on the right hand side. You put your two fingers on the edge of the trackpad and you pull it to the left, not swipe. It only works if you start on the very edge. I havent once accidentally activated it when swiping through safari, and i use the swipe heavily so I dont think it will be an issue at all.

Sound214
Feb 17, 2012, 07:16 PM
Airplay output can also be accessed through option-clicking the audio from the top menu, though it doesn't seem to be working for me.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/w0Jvo.png)

Isn't working for me either. I can't even see the menu for it.

AppleFanBoy888
Feb 17, 2012, 07:27 PM
Disk Utility doesn't show the drive's model anymore.

Takuro
Feb 17, 2012, 07:44 PM
Can anybody confirm whether the new Notification Center menubar item is relocatable, or is it statically assigned to the far-right as Spotlight had been? If it's static, are both Spotlight and Notification Center unmovable?

afin
Feb 17, 2012, 07:48 PM
How do you do screen sharing? Is that an app or what?

It's an actual app under CoreServices.

AppleFanBoy888
Feb 17, 2012, 07:50 PM
Can anybody confirm whether the new Notification Center menubar item is relocatable, or is it statically assigned to the far-right as Spotlight had been? If it's static, are both Spotlight and Notification Center unmovable?

Both are unmovable.

CarsonGallo
Feb 17, 2012, 08:19 PM
•New Chess Preferences

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-kd42g7crrd4jwssi52sw3712fp.jpg

•Integration with GameCenter
•So it therefore also has GameCenter Achievements

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-cgc91134a6drbms19wsjqrg9gi.jpg

----------

•The Purchases Category doesn't crash for people who've installed a lot of Apps, which I have, and I know cause it doesn't crash App Store for me anymore. :)

•You can now Remove Purchases from your Purchases list. (Thats a new one right? Hard for me to remember cause like I said, purchases category has been crashing on me for a while.)

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-esikw4u5fjhrgnkjibqmj7g5rk.jpg

•Theres also some new Options under the Store Context Menu.

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-tpprfa49jdbkegxt8twigg7ada.jpg

•OS X ML is also too new to install the latest version of Xcode from the Mac App Store.

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-mg4dxi82g6bqm6mibw7mbfp3xj.jpg

----------

The Unlock Button for unlocking locked options in the System Preferences Pane, has a nice new Blue Aqua color.

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-p8wyhbucb8earke4ce1mi6annh.jpg

Kaphis
Feb 17, 2012, 08:38 PM
You can review a video file even when its a thumbnail. Kinda cool but kinda useless xD

CarsonGallo
Feb 17, 2012, 08:42 PM
•You can now Manage iCloud Storage.

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-fkddan26ka7mkfn184mb4sq9dm.jpg

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-xqirs4tuh3b2kqcf4bkiy2rh6d.jpg

•You can choose which Data Plan right within System Preferences.

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-qk8sa1a4ripdynif2ia1ipshk8.jpg

•You can choose to Downgrade your iCloud Data Plan.

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-cch5taktj441fwsc8a3y7q6ws9.jpg

•You can view your iCloud Account Info directly in System Preferences. You can also edit it as well.

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-mem6rakbj4id4gir3d9595mby9.jpg

----------

You can review a video file even when its a thumbnail. Kinda cool but kinda useless xD

What do u mean Review?

jayhawk11
Feb 17, 2012, 09:57 PM

If you're talking about the tiny play button that shows up when you mouse over a video thumbnail, that's there in Lion, too.

MrAndy1369
Feb 17, 2012, 10:16 PM
That looks very different from what I'm currently showing in Disk Utility in Lion - where did the Restore, RAID, and Erase tabs go? Also, there's no SMART status anymore? :confused:

Disk Utility doesn't show the drive's model anymore.

eagandale4114
Feb 17, 2012, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=CarsonGallo;14342669]•You can now Manage iCloud Storage.

Image (http://img.skitch.com/20120218-fkddan26ka7mkfn184mb4sq9dm.jpg)

Image (http://img.skitch.com/20120218-xqirs4tuh3b2kqcf4bkiy2rh6d.jpg)

•You can choose which Data Plan right within System Preferences.

Image (http://img.skitch.com/20120218-qk8sa1a4ripdynif2ia1ipshk8.jpg)

•You can choose to Downgrade your iCloud Data Plan.

Image (http://img.skitch.com/20120218-cch5taktj441fwsc8a3y7q6ws9.jpg)

•You can view your iCloud Account Info directly in System Preferences. You can also edit it as well.

Image (http://img.skitch.com/20120218-mem6rakbj4id4gir3d9595mby9.jpg)[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

The iCloud preferences could be accessed in Lion too.

EEXOOO
Feb 17, 2012, 10:22 PM
Can anyone with a MBP 15 6490M connected to a 1440p display share if the Mission Control still lags?

Takuro
Feb 17, 2012, 11:42 PM
I installed 10.8 DP1 and I've already noticed a few rather dumb bugs after 15 minutes of use. For instance, if you go into "Expose" settings in System Preference and uncheck "Show dashboard as a space", you won't be able to manage widgets from dashboard anymore. It seems whoever redesigned widget management might have forgot this. :P

jayhawk11
Feb 18, 2012, 12:02 AM
I installed 10.8 DP1 and I've already noticed a few rather dumb bugs after 15 minutes of use. For instance, if you go into "Expose" settings in System Preference and uncheck "Show dashboard as a space", you won't be able to manage widgets from dashboard anymore. It seems whoever redesigned widget management might have forgot this. :P

Have you tried this (http://filearadar.com/)?

Peace
Feb 18, 2012, 12:06 AM

Have you tried this (http://filearadar.com/)?

In other words.

Don't complain if you're not a developer and if you ARE a developer submit a bug report.

superstrikertwo
Feb 18, 2012, 12:11 AM
•New Chess Preferences
•You can now Remove Purchases from your Purchases list. (Thats a new one right? Hard for me to remember cause like I said, purchases category has been crashing on me for a while.)

That is in Lion.

damson34
Feb 18, 2012, 12:20 AM
That looks very different from what I'm currently showing in Disk Utility in Lion - where did the Restore, RAID, and Erase tabs go? Also, there's no SMART status anymore? :confused:

Mine is still completely normal. I dont have an apple oem hd in either, upgraded to a wd 7200rpm a whille ago and it still shows up in my disk utility, as well as all the other tabs.

Peace
Feb 18, 2012, 12:31 AM
Mine is still completely normal. I dont have an apple oem hd in either, upgraded to a wd 7200rpm a whille ago and it still shows up in my disk utility, as well as all the other tabs.

Disk utility still shows the model of my OCZ Vertex2 SSD drive.

chrono1081
Feb 18, 2012, 12:35 AM

I'm upgrading just for this!

Thats been in there since at least Snow Leopard. I do it on my desktop all the time when rummaging through many video clips :D

JackieTreehorn
Feb 18, 2012, 04:29 AM
Installed ML on a separate FW drive and, apart from Evernote and VMWare fusion, most of the things I use on a day-to-day basis appear to work just fine.

If Evernote but particularly VMWare Fusion works properly in ML, I'll install ML on my MBA. I like these little changes in ML :)

AdeFowler
Feb 18, 2012, 04:33 AM
Love this thread.

2 of my favourite features are actually the return of thing from Snow Leopard, that were missing in Lion:

The return of the Groups panel in Contacts.
The return of the side bar in Calendars (showing calendar list and small month views). The faux leather has also been greatly toned down.

Also you can set default alarms in Calendar now.

I'm very happy about Apple adopting the iOS app names in OSX. I always thought iCal sounded more like a spreadsheet app. I wonder if System Preferences will become Settings?

MrAppleseed
Feb 18, 2012, 07:40 AM
The return of the side bar in Calendars (showing calendar list and small month views). The faux leather has also been greatly toned down.

Also you can set default alarms in Calendar now.

When creating a new event, can you tell if it’s still created in the default calendar (as seen in Lion), or (as in pre Lion) in the selected calendar? :)

Joe HS
Feb 18, 2012, 11:00 AM
It is now possible to right-click dock items whilst Launchpad is active:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2pzl5kw.png

Edit: Oops sorry, Lion does this too!

QuarterSwede
Feb 18, 2012, 11:09 AM
Curious to know if Mission Control now remembers your fullscreen app positions instead of putting them in order of loading. That drives me freaking crazy!

Also, can you "Show Desktop" while in a full screen app? Another one that slows me down.

I guess my biggest issue with MC is that it treats fullscreen apps like they're on an iPad connected to the right of your windowed desktops. I like to rearrange the order of my desktops and fullscreen apps and want it to remember where they are even if they crash or I restart.

maflynn
Feb 18, 2012, 11:17 AM
I like the notifications, either iMessage or emails that pop up from the upper left corner

Joe HS
Feb 18, 2012, 11:22 AM
Curious to know if Mission Control now remembers your fullscreen app positions instead of putting them in order of loading. That drives me freaking crazy!

If you mean after a reboot, yes, Resume now arranges Spaces in the correct order.

Also, can you "Show Desktop" while in a full screen app? Another one that slows me down.

Unfortunately, no. It sounds like it could be a helpful feature though.

I guess my biggest issue with MC is that it treats fullscreen apps like they're on an iPad connected to the right of your windowed desktops. I like to rearrange the order of my desktops and fullscreen apps and want it to remember where they are even if they crash or I restart.
This has been possible since 10.7.2.
For the most part this seems to have been fixed in ML; restarting a crashed app will load it in windowed mode, but entering Full-Screen will insert it between the two spaces it last was. In addition, apps that enter Full-Screen are now sent one slot to the right of the current Space, and not all the way to the far right as they were with Lion.

Takuro
Feb 18, 2012, 11:39 AM

A full-screen app is a standalone window with no underlying desktop. I'm not sure that it'd make much sense to implement this feature due to this UI design conflict. How is the desktop supposed to manage the windows that had been opened from behind a fullscreen app? They would be hidden out of sight, which could lead to major confusion.

HelveticaNeue
Feb 18, 2012, 11:57 AM
It is now possible to right-click dock items whilst Launchpad is active:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2pzl5kw.png

I can do this in Lion.

Krazy Bill
Feb 18, 2012, 12:28 PM
How is the desktop supposed to manage the windows that had been opened from behind a fullscreen app?Uh... the full screen app just moves out of the way? Like any other app?

I really don't understand why people here think a full screen app is so special when it comes to window management that it deserves it's own dedicated desktop. Maybe Apple brainwashing works?

It's amazing how other apps have implemented full screen capabilities without comprising consistency. I use a hot corner to show my desktop. Unfortunately... if I happen to be using a FS app at the time I'm screwed and now have more swipes/keystrokes to deal with just to get there. Can there be anything less intuitive than having one app behave differently than any other simply because it has no menu and title bar?

Full Screen apps let me use my dock... why not the desktop?

Pooshka
Feb 18, 2012, 12:44 PM
- Safari's unified Address & Search bar + clicking the bar highlights it entirely
- Unarchiving downloaded packages brings them to the foreground; OS's prior to Lion had the same behaviour, then Lion took it away, now it's back in Mountain Lion again

rorschach
Feb 18, 2012, 12:45 PM

If you are talking about what I think you are, you've been able to turn that off since Mission Control was introduced in Lion.

There's a checkbox in System Preferences: "Automatically rearrange spaces based on most recent use."

Skoopman
Feb 18, 2012, 12:57 PM
- Safari's unified Address & Search bar + clicking the bar highlights it entirely
- Unarchiving downloaded packages brings them to the foreground; OS's prior to Lion had the same behaviour, then Lion took it away, now it's back in Mountain Lion again

Does it still highlight if you click the favicon?

Joe HS
Feb 18, 2012, 12:59 PM
Uh... the full screen app just moves out of the way? Like any other app?

I really don't understand why people here think a full screen app is so special when it comes to window management that it deserves it's own dedicated desktop.

It's amazing how other apps have implemented full screen capabilities without comprising consistency. I use a hot corner to show my desktop. Unfortunately... if I happen to be using a FS app at the time I'm screwed and now have more swipes/keystrokes to deal with just to get there. Can there be anything less intuitive than having one app behave differently than any other simply because it has no menu and title bar?

A Full-Screen app is separate to a/the desktop possibly to make the user feel less reliant on there being a desktop (especially on more mobile, small screen devices), the concept is at least 30 years old after all. Eventually things will change.
I really don't understand how you can claim that before Lion/ML fullscreen apps didn't compromise consistency, however. Full-Screen was always a mess on any platform.
You could just drag ~/Desktop onto the Dock in the meantime anyhow, although I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that the Dock was only accessible when Full-Screen because not all users have access to a Multi-touch trackpad.

Pooshka
Feb 18, 2012, 01:00 PM
- Safari's unified Address & Search bar + clicking anywhere in the bar highlights it entirely

http://cl.ly/EJPN/img.png

In case you didn't know, two-finger swipe and menu icon are NOT the only ways to access Notification Center. Of course, there's also an option to assign a keyboard shortcut (my favourite). In my case, option+space triggers Notification Center, while command+space triggers Alfred. /tip

:)

----------

Does it still highlight if you click the favicon?
Yes.

GermanyChris
Feb 18, 2012, 01:01 PM
Can't get the VPN talking yet..

**Edit** Got PPTP talking but it just won't take the Certificates to make L2TP/IPSec

QuarterSwede
Feb 18, 2012, 01:05 PM
If you mean after a reboot, yes, Resume now arranges Spaces in the correct order.

Unfortunately, no. It sounds like it could be a helpful feature though.

This has been possible since 10.7.2.
I know, I meant I want them to be saved that way. They don't stay saved but that doesn't matter since you're saying that's fixed in ML.

For the most part this seems to have been fixed in ML; restarting a crashed app will load it in windowed mode, but entering Full-Screen will insert it between the two spaces it last was. In addition, apps that enter Full-Screen are now sent one slot to the right of the current Space, and not all the way to the far right as they were with Lion.
That's a definite improvement. Thanks!

Uh... the full screen app just moves out of the way? Like any other app?

I really don't understand why people here think a full screen app is so special when it comes to window management that it deserves it's own dedicated desktop. Maybe Apple brainwashing works?

Exactly! On the iPad it makes sense because you can't do any of that in the first place.

If you are talking about what I think you are, you've been able to turn that off since Mission Control was introduced in Lion.

There's a checkbox in System Preferences: "Automatically rearrange spaces based on most recent use."
That just turns off automatic space management. I want certain certain apps in certain places always. As a Snow Leopard Spaces power user nothing pisses me off more than a full screen app crashing and then restarting at the far right of the desktop/full screen app list.

I always want:
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5306/screenshot20120218at120.png

Pooshka
Feb 18, 2012, 01:10 PM
Guys, is this new?

When you're in Stacks (grid view) and navigate to a folder, now there's a keyboard shortcut to go back (out of the folder): command+arrow up.

PlaceofDis
Feb 18, 2012, 01:11 PM
Guys, is this new?

When you're in Stacks (grid view) and navigate to a folder, now there's a keyboard shortcut to go back (out of the folder): command+arrow up.

that has been there, at least in Lion if not SL.

PBP
Feb 18, 2012, 01:12 PM
Guys, is this new?

No it's not new

EDIT: BEATEN

jayhawk11
Feb 18, 2012, 01:41 PM
nvm

----------

That just turns off automatic space management. I want certain certain apps in certain places always. As a Snow Leopard Spaces power user nothing pisses me off more than a full screen app crashing and then restarting at the far right of the desktop/full screen app list.

I always want:
Image (http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5306/screenshot20120218at120.png)

You can in Lion, just not with an app that's in full screen.

Pooshka
Feb 18, 2012, 01:54 PM
Not sure if this is new:

In Safari, say, you go to a page with a nested URL: www.abc.com/folder1/folder2/folder3/index.html. If you secondary-click on the page title on top of the browser window, you'll get a list of URL's for each subfolder:
1. www.abc.com/folder1/folder2/folder3
2. www.abc.com/folder1/folder2
3. www.abc.com/folder1
4. www.abc.com

http://cl.ly/EJn7/img.png

baryon
Feb 18, 2012, 01:57 PM
A full-screen app is a standalone window with no underlying desktop. I'm not sure that it'd make much sense to implement this feature due to this UI design conflict. How is the desktop supposed to manage the windows that had been opened from behind a fullscreen app? They would be hidden out of sight, which could lead to major confusion.

Why would there be no underlying desktop? While you can have lots of desktops, their icon contents will be the same on each one. It would make complete sense for me to want to drag an image from Safari in full screen onto the desktop, but it's impossible because you can't show the desktop while in full screen.

The problems with full screen in Lion are:

Can't show desktop
Can't show dock with Wacom Tablet (because of absolute positionning)
Quitting and reopening an app will always bring it out of full screen mode
Full screen apps create more desktops, so if you already have loads, swiping from desktop 1 to desktop 5 is a huge pain with 3 full screen apps and 5 desktops in between
Slow animation that brings the app in and out of full screen
Activating Mission Control while in a full screen app will show Desktop 1 - why? I completely lose track of where the hell I am
Putting something in full screen places it on the far right if you don't check "Automatically Rearrange Desktops"

… so I never use Full Screen, I really hope ML addresses most of these...

QuarterSwede
Feb 18, 2012, 01:57 PM
You can in Lion, just not with an app that's in full screen.
I know. That's the issue!

hwojtek
Feb 18, 2012, 02:02 PM
Not sure if this is new:

In Safari, say, you go to a page with a nested URL: www.abc.com/folder1/folder2/folder3/index.html. If you secondary-click on the page title on top of the browser window, you'll get a list of URL's for each subfolder

It's present in Safari 5.1.3 on Lion for sure.

QuarterSwede
Feb 18, 2012, 02:06 PM
Why would there be no underlying desktop? While you can have lots of desktops, their icon contents will be the same on each one. It would make complete sense for me to want to drag an image from Safari in full screen onto the desktop, but it's impossible because you can't show the desktop while in full screen.

Can't show desktop
Full screen apps create more desktops, so if you already have loads, swiping from desktop 1 to desktop 5 is a huge pain with 3 full screen apps and 5 desktops in between
Activating Mission Control while in a full screen app will show Desktop 1 - why? I completely lose track of where the hell I am
Putting something in full screen places it on the far right if you don't check "Automatically Rearrange Desktops"

Someone else who knows my frustration!

However, "Quitting and reopening an app will always bring it out of full screen mode" isn't true. I know this because Safari 5.1.2 used to crash constantly for me and it always stole focus as it started back up in full screen (apps that have crashed and relaunch steal focus and that is another thing that pisses me off). Thankfully the crashing issue has been fixed in 5.2.

----------

Something else I just thought of, does Finder show a loading circle when it's loading a folder's contents like it does in Snow Leopard? That was removed in Lion (I think because of the rewrite). It's easy to show on a HDD based Mac when looking at the Applications folder.

MWPULSE
Feb 18, 2012, 04:42 PM

Can't show desktop

I'm confused by what you mean about activating Mission Control in Lion. Lion Mission Control, for me shows the 10 desktops that I have, plus dashboard to the left, n then fullscreen apps on the right including safari, mail, iCal, Spotify, iTunes etc etc..

About the more desktops issue...isn't that why they invented mission control? :s I tend to not have an issue with that :)

I could agree about desktop being shown n stuff.. although to be honest i don't find that an issue which i have noticed before you mentioned it. I tend to just switch apps (cmd+tab/swipe) where necessary ;)

this is funah
Feb 18, 2012, 04:43 PM
Small one:

also two-finger gestures are in the app store and itunes now, still not in finder though

baryon
Feb 18, 2012, 05:01 PM
I'm confused by what you mean about activating Mission Control in Lion. Lion Mission Control

I mean that say you're in a full screen app somewhere between desktop 9 and desktop 10. You do a four-finger-swipe-up, and the big desktop you see in the middle will be Desktop 1. I barely use Desktop 1 since it's not "surrounded" by other desktops. My main desktop is probably Desktop 3-4, so I don't want to see Desktop 1 each time I enter Mission Control from a full screen app.

Takuro
Feb 18, 2012, 05:06 PM

I guess that makes sense. If fullscreen apps had a desktop "peeking" feature that only allowed you to drag and drop items, that'd be fine. If you tried to launch an app while viewing the desktop, then that app would simply automatically switch you to the 1st available space, which akin to the behavior seen when you open a new app from the dock in a fullscreen app.

Yumunum
Feb 18, 2012, 05:20 PM
Was the Stickies app removed?

Joe HS
Feb 18, 2012, 05:25 PM
Was the Stickies app removed?

Nope! :D

Yumunum
Feb 18, 2012, 05:53 PM
Nope! :D

Sweet, more options are nice to have!

ajvizzgamer101
Feb 18, 2012, 07:40 PM

How do you do that?

Speedyparker87
Feb 18, 2012, 07:43 PM
Does Safari now have keyword searches too? So for example, I can type in "a iPad 3" and it searches Amazon for iPad 3?

One of the only things I miss from my days using Chrome. That and the ability to click on a folder in the bookmarks bar and then hover over to the next folder to see its contents, rather than click off the first folder and click on to the next. Btw, is that changed?

ajvizzgamer101
Feb 18, 2012, 07:49 PM
In Safari 5.2, everything after "/" is grey.

Also, you can now choose AirPlay under "Output" in system preferences.

They also killed http://

QuarterSwede
Feb 18, 2012, 07:51 PM
Does Safari now have keyword searches too? So for example, I can type in "a iPad 3" and it searches Amazon for iPad 3?
Yes, Safari 5.2 has an omnibar now.

mystera
Feb 18, 2012, 07:51 PM
Does Resume work for Grapher?

soco
Feb 18, 2012, 08:06 PM
Yes, Safari 5.2 has an omnibar now.

Oddly my favorite feature of ML lol

jayhawk11
Feb 18, 2012, 09:00 PM
Oddly my favorite feature of ML lol

It's a Safari feature. It's present in the Safari 5.2 beta for Lion, too.

thundersteele
Feb 18, 2012, 09:14 PM
I installed it on my old 2008 MBP with 2 GB of RAM. Of course, performance is not so great, but that's not a surprise. It's still usable though!

Little things:
- As mentioned above, Safari finally has a omnibar! Great! Hope this makes it into Lion and we don't have to wait for ML to get it.
- iCloud implementation has made a step forward. I love that I can save documents to the cloud directly.
- Notifications: Looks good!
- Notes: Looks much better than the Lion version of it

What is still missing:
- Finder option to browse the cloud
- Notes should accept handwritten notes (not gonna happen, I know)

Sorry if all of this has been mentioned before. I'm just excited.

rorschach
Feb 18, 2012, 09:18 PM
I installed it on my old 2008 MBP with 2 GB of RAM. Of course, performance is not so great, but that's not a surprise. It's still usable though!

Little things:
- As mentioned above, Safari finally has a omnibar! Great! Hope this makes it into Lion and we don't have to wait for ML to get it.
- iCloud implementation has made a step forward. I love that I can save documents to the cloud directly.
- Notifications: Looks good!
- Notes: Looks much better than the Lion version of it

What is still missing:
- Notes should accept handwritten notes (not gonna happen, I know)

Sorry if all of this has been mentioned before. I'm just excited.

You can do handwriting recognition if you have a tablet.

Unless you mean like just drawing on notes like a lot of iPad note apps.

Pooshka
Feb 18, 2012, 09:20 PM
They also killed http://
Except when it's a secured site, https:// will remain visible.

thundersteele
Feb 18, 2012, 09:23 PM
You can do handwriting recognition if you have a tablet.

Unless you mean like just drawing on notes like a lot of iPad note apps.

Yeah, I should have been more precise. I know there is handwriting recognition, which I don't think is very useful on a device that has a keyboard.

I want to be able to draw, or more precisely, write formulas and sketch diagrams, write on my keynote slides and sign documents. Support for that is very limited in OSX, compared to what is available on Windows - even Linux provides more sophisticated tools, which I am using right now through macports.

I don't think free-hand tablet input is a big priority for Apple right now unfortunately.

Maclver
Feb 18, 2012, 09:37 PM

Where did you get that picture?

exemos
Feb 18, 2012, 09:51 PM
If you pinch in and out in Launch Pad the apps will come closer or further apart.

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 18, 2012, 10:19 PM
(Mac) OS X displays this preference pane, if it does not know on which hardware it runs (Hackintosh, VMware and Parallels). I think even my 10.4.11 (Intel) within VMware Fusion v3.1.3 does this.

sea stobble
Feb 18, 2012, 10:20 PM
Definition search in Safari now only requires a single three finger tap.

Comeagain?
Feb 18, 2012, 10:24 PM
I don't know if this is new, but the Wifi icon in the menu bar has 4 lines instead of 3.

Or, I'm completely off...

madeofchalk
Feb 18, 2012, 10:30 PM
Only deal breaker for me ATM: Can no longer drag files into the Open File dialog box to select it.

Hopefully its just a bug and they will fix it. Reporting it ASAP ;)

jayhawk11
Feb 18, 2012, 10:40 PM

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/details/2823/glowing_horizon.html

Tmelon
Feb 19, 2012, 01:49 AM
What's this talk about Safari tab syncing between ML and iOS? I'm not seeing it.

Maxdr
Feb 19, 2012, 01:55 AM
Is there anyone having the same issue with the screen brightness going to maximum after a reboot?

Cinder6
Feb 19, 2012, 02:13 AM
Definition search in Safari now only requires a single three finger tap.

Ugh. There goes MiddleClick, then. Hopefully somebody figures out a way to make it a double tap again.

87racer
Feb 19, 2012, 02:35 AM
Anyone tried to install and run vmware fusion 4 or parallels 7 on a mouton lion clean install?

Vmware doesn't run and parallels fail to open my xp virtual machine!

Check this (http://bit.ly/ymaDT0) out to get Parallels working on Mountain Lion

Brendando
Feb 19, 2012, 05:06 AM
Just tested gestures, and it does! Its just like going back a page in safari :D

OS X Mountain Lion is pretty awesome.

Excellent. I don't really understand what the excuse is for not having this in Finder now. It's going to really frustrate me if they have incorporated these gestures into most, but not all of the apps. It's not good for the general consumers either- imagine how jarring they'll find it to suddenly have something that's been so consistent not work. That is of course, assuming that they aren't trying to de-emphasise Finder as much as possible in Mountain Lion, and encourage the single-task state that's used in iOS further. Not complaining, just observing/wondering.

kirky29
Feb 19, 2012, 05:53 AM
I don't know if this is new, but the Wifi icon in the menu bar has 4 lines instead of 3.

It has 4 lines on my Lion :)

applefortytwo
Feb 19, 2012, 06:51 AM
Some nice animations too

papalapapp
Feb 19, 2012, 08:01 AM
What is still missing:

Browsing the cloud in Finder wild be a step towards file syncing iCloud/Mac.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope I'm wrong, but how I understand the announcement from Phil is that file sync will only work via app-centric saving. E.g. you can only sync Pages documents if they are saved the optional "new way" in Pages but not if they are saved the "tradional" way in Finder.

DeckMan
Feb 19, 2012, 08:40 AM

I found out yesterday (after asking the same question :D) that you can use Google Image Search to find similar pictures, and therefore find wallpapers from screenshots, and sometimes higher-resolution versions of pictures you've downloaded :)

----------

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope I'm wrong, but how I understand the announcement from Phil is that file sync will only work via app-centric saving.

That's how I understood it too, sadly. Browsing it in the Finder would be iDisk all over again. Though you can technically achieve just that with Dropbox (http://deckman.de/dropbox) (probably minus the syncing-with-iWork-on-iOS-part, though)

JPOWA
Feb 19, 2012, 08:56 AM
Check this (http://bit.ly/ymaDT0) out to get Parallels working on Mountain Lion

QuarterSwede
Feb 19, 2012, 09:17 AM
Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope I'm wrong, but how I understand the announcement from Phil is that file sync will only work via app-centric saving. E.g. you can only sync Pages documents if they are saved the optional "new way" in Pages but not if they are saved the "tradional" way in Finder.
That would makes sense because it seems that Apple is trying to get away from the Finder and have apps handle all file management like they do on iOS.

Takuro
Feb 19, 2012, 09:23 AM

It's always been 4 lines.

DeckMan
Feb 19, 2012, 10:17 AM
That would makes sense because it seems that Apple is trying to get away from the Finder and have apps handle all file management like they do on iOS.

I would hope not. If they try to do that in a future OS, they will sell a lot less copies of that (and less future computers with it preinstalled), and I'm pretty sure they know that.

Skika
Feb 19, 2012, 10:31 AM
I would hope not. If they try to do that in a future OS, they will sell a lot less copies of that (and less future computers with it preinstalled), and I'm pretty sure they know that.

Yes, just look at all those iPads not selling because of not having a "proper" file system.

File system is passe, and will eventually go the way of the Terminal. Popular with more tech savvy but not so much with the average consumer.

alezziuz
Feb 19, 2012, 10:58 AM
new options in Anteprima! (Preview)

stueee123
Feb 19, 2012, 11:08 AM
Browsing the cloud in Finder wild be a step towards file syncing iCloud/Mac.

You have the option to drag files to the icloud window in any app from the finder or other apps.

rorschach
Feb 19, 2012, 11:44 AM
Yes, just look at all those iPads not selling because of not having a "proper" file system.

File system is passe, and will eventually go the way of the Terminal. Popular with more tech savvy but not so much with the average consumer.

I have to agree. Working directly with the file system like in the Finder will still be possible, and it will be as easily accessible as opening an app (like the command line is). But most people aren't going to bother because they won't need to.

----------

Only deal breaker for me ATM: Can no longer drag files into the Open File dialog box to select it.

You can drag them to the chrome of the open window or sheet (top or bottom). This is how it was in Lion initially, then they fixed it. It's probably a bug.

Also, you can't hit enter to select a file. Hitting enter renames it, like in the Finder.

baryon
Feb 19, 2012, 01:00 PM

This was the same in Lion, but in Lion you can drag the file onto the bottom or top part of the open/save dialog (where the "Cancel" and "Open" buttons are), see if it works in ML!

Excellent. I don't really understand what the excuse is for not having this in Finder now. It's going to really frustrate me if they have incorporated these gestures into most, but not all of the apps. It's not good for the general consumers either- imagine how jarring they'll find it to suddenly have something that's been so consistent not work. That is of course, assuming that they aren't trying to de-emphasise Finder as much as possible in Mountain Lion, and encourage the single-task state that's used in iOS further. Not complaining, just observing/wondering.

You can get the old Snow Leopard style 3-finger swipe to do back/forward in Lion, so that's also probably the case in ML. First, set "Swipe Between Full Screen Apps" to 4 fingers only, and then set "Swipe Between Pages" to "2 or 3 fingers". That way, you can use the 2-finger gesture in Safari (with the animation) or the 3-finger gesture (no animation) in either Safari or Finder (and also Preview and Pages I think).

notrack
Feb 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
You have the option to drag files to the icloud window in any app from the finder or other apps.

Saving directly to iCloud is good stuff. But unfortunately it's not syncing.

DeckMan
Feb 19, 2012, 02:07 PM

The iPad is mainly for consuming, there's no tasks on the iPad that would require sorting lots of documents - though I'm pretty sure power users get annoyed if they have to manage, say, 10 or more Numbers documents in one list without folders. iPads are selling because you can use them to read books or watch movies on the go, and do the things you need a file system for with the Mac.

Sure, most people might not bother with the file system anymore because they won't need it, like rorschach said. But if by Terminal you mean the Terminal application, there's little doubt that that's always going to stick around for people who like to use it, so I don't see how that supports an argument that the file system will get removed.

xxBURT0Nxx
Feb 19, 2012, 02:11 PM
he was using it as an analogy. computing used to require terminal/dos prompts to do tasks. Now it's not required, but still around for those who like to use it.

He believes the file system will be similar. He doesn't mean it will literally go away (it will always remain in the background and in finder for those who want to use it) but if you don't want to/know how to use a file system the app will take care of it for you.

CarsonGallo
Feb 19, 2012, 02:21 PM
VIPs button in Mail. Indicating possible Priority Inbox like feature coming to iCloud Mail.

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-gpsg7hd7iqchwkk8t4pg8r4y2i.jpg

DeckMan
Feb 19, 2012, 02:21 PM
he was using it as an analogy. computing used to require terminal/dos prompts to do tasks. Now it's not required, but still around for those who like to use it.

Thanks for clarifying. I misread QuarterSwede's post saying "Apple is trying to get away from the Finder" and interpreted it as "Apple is trying to do away with the Finder", as in get rid of it completely. Hence my response that a lot of people wouldn't accept that. My bad!

CarsonGallo
Feb 19, 2012, 02:29 PM
I know in Mission Control the icon has gone in bottom right since Lion, but in Dock, if you have this option off of course...

https://img.skitch.com/20120219-ncf5811t8yxu9skc35fic3j5cn.jpg

Minimized Apps in the Dock now show their icon in the bottom right corner of the Window Thumbnails.

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-e7u582ahhud98j1i17ucew4yy9.jpg

----------

I know this was mentioned before, but no screenshot was shown though, thought I would show you. O but also wasn't mention that the buttons (In Highlighted Circle) the one to the left when clicked triggers the Groups side-pane to be shown.

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-kr2e2fu5m3mwsfhcws9eibe9f5.jpg

----------

You can check off which fields you want to share in your Contact Card.

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-dfigwehtur1g19ewuk4dqgji6p.jpg

DeckMan
Feb 19, 2012, 02:29 PM
Minimized Apps in the Dock now show their icon in the bottom right corner of the Window Thumbnails.

That's already there in Lion :)

CarsonGallo
Feb 19, 2012, 02:37 PM
That's already there in Lion :)

Darn.

----------

Heres a screenshot of the New Calendar App Side-Pane mention before.

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-nrnxxpm9xb74645afaxt6ai3r5.jpg

CarsonGallo
Feb 19, 2012, 03:20 PM
When searching for an App or Widget (Yes, Widgets now has its own Launchpad with everything App Launchpad has) through Launchpad, you can drag an Apps icon out of the search results, and it will exit the search results, and bring you back to the last Launchpad screen you were on, with the Icon still being hold onto, good for when you want to find a specific App to move into a Folder.

And heres some more clarification on the Launchpad for Widgets. Like I said, it has everything the App Launchpad has. (Which by the way is a Good sign, that they'll be bringing Widgets to the Mac App Store, instead of the Web Distribution which hasn't added a new Widget in over a year, completely abandoned it after Apple completely redesigned the site, strangely, which they strangely never highlighted at all, nor did any of the news outlets pick up, that they redesigned the site. And also good sign they may be bringing Widgets to iOS in a future update) Anyway heres some more screenshots showing off everything App Launchpad can do, Widgets Launchpad can do.

Folders

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-fkkj2cy6trxppxfa8tp64xg1me.jpg

Which can of course be renamed.

Deletion, which holding down Option, or exclusice to the Dashboard Launchpad, clicking the Minus sign, will cause the Widgets to Wiggle, with X signs in their top left. And a confirmation window will even pop up asking you, "Are you sure you want to Delete Widget X"

And since theres no Mac App Store for Widgets you can delete ALL Widgets no matter where you downloaded them from using the X in the top left corner unlike Apps that you DIDN't download from The Mac App Store.

http://img.skitch.com/20120218-efe4ua28k9cu9p66ixeedcgpef.jpg

Preinstalled Apps & Widgets, and just like Preinstalled Mac Apps, Preinstalled Mac Widgets wont have an X in their top left corner to be deleted, (Which I don't get why people hate that on iOS)

https://img.skitch.com/20120219-8q513eegytnji1475sm7jcwqe.jpg

Search, you can start typing when in the Widgets Launchpad and search results will come up live. (Also forgot to mention search feature starts working even when start typing when you have a Launchpad folder open, regardless of whether in App or Widget Launchpad.)

https://img.skitch.com/20120219-rr9gd77ad85bppr6km4xskxmeb.jpg

----------

Share sheets is also supported in Contacts.

http://img.skitch.com/20120219-8thrgewnk8nq1asjbx9t68phue.jpg

----------

Theres a new New Built-In Contacts Finder. Doesn't work right now though.

http://img.skitch.com/20120219-nkheg31tx3rwnd6nnttbdy76bg.jpg

----------

Theres no a longer a MobileMe Preference Pane in OS X Lion, getting ready to totally phase it out.

https://img.skitch.com/20120219-j6nar3a513hjjkgs2j7ue8s19q.jpg

Pooshka
Feb 19, 2012, 04:21 PM
New in iTunes: when you buy a song, you can start playing it as soon as starts downloading without having to wait for the download to finish.

QuarterSwede
Feb 19, 2012, 04:29 PM

He believes the file system will be similar. He doesn't mean it will literally go away (it will always remain in the background and in finder for those who want to use it) but if you don't want to/know how to use a file system the app will take care of it for you.
Exactly. In the future using a file manager will be as foreign to most as using Terminal is nowadays.

DeckMan
Feb 19, 2012, 04:31 PM
Exactly. In the future using a file manager will be as foreign to most as using Terminal is nowadays.

That's a good thing though, right? People shouldn't have to learn how to use a file manager if there's an easier way that works for them. I mean, I can imagine a lot of people just drop everything in their Documents folder now - and it works, thanks to Spotlight and the likes.

QuarterSwede
Feb 19, 2012, 04:38 PM
That's a good thing though, right? People shouldn't have to learn how to use a file manager if there's an easier way that works for them. I mean, I can imagine a lot of people just drop everything in their Documents folder now - and it works, thanks to Spotlight and the likes.
Personally, I think it's a great thing. Apps can give you the ability to manage files much better. Think about iPhoto or iTunes and how much more powerful they are for photos and media.

jeb2u
Feb 19, 2012, 04:48 PM

So I assume since we've seen that Preview and TextEdit have the ability to save files directly to iCloud in ML, that in iOS 6 there will be Preview and TextEdit apps? Otherwise what's the point in saving to iCloud, except maybe to syncs across Macs. But with Apple pushing iOS devices, I assume they'll have native iOS apps which are equivalent to Preview and TextEdit (of course, iBooks already has the ability to save pdfs).

kirky29
Feb 19, 2012, 04:57 PM
One thing I have noticed, stacks seem so much more responsive, no lag or delay whatsoever, very impressed with that.

madeofchalk
Feb 19, 2012, 05:16 PM
So I assume since we've seen that Preview and TextEdit have the ability to save files directly to iCloud in ML, that in iOS 6 there will be Preview and TextEdit apps? Otherwise what's the point in saving to iCloud, except maybe to syncs across Macs. But with Apple pushing iOS devices, I assume they'll have native iOS apps which are equivalent to Preview and TextEdit (of course, iBooks already has the ability to save pdfs).

Wouldn't count on it. iCloud is still a handy way to have files backed up in another location. Just like how people with only iPhone still get value out of iCloud on their phones.

This was the same in Lion, but in Lion you can drag the file onto the bottom or top part of the open/save dialog (where the "Cancel" and "Open" buttons are), see if it works in ML!

No, I'm almost certain it worked properly. If you dragged a file into the file browser part of the dialog it would select the file, rather than copying it (which it did for me once in ML!) or denying it. Dragging the file into the bottom of the box selects the file. Interesting... I hope it is temporarily broken because of the changes they made with the iCloud file box.

DeckMan
Feb 19, 2012, 05:27 PM
Wouldn't count on it. iCloud is still a handy way to have files backed up in another location. Just like how people with only iPhone still get value out of iCloud on their phones.

I wonder - is it just a backup in another location, or is iCloud the only location then? Like, will copies of the files in iCloud be saved on the Mac for when you don't have internet access?

rorschach
Feb 19, 2012, 05:36 PM

No, I'm almost certain it worked properly. If you dragged a file into the file browser part of the dialog it would select the file, rather than copying it (which it did for me once in ML!) or denying it. Dragging the file into the bottom of the box selects the file. Interesting... I hope it is temporarily broken because of the changes they made with the iCloud file box.

It does work properly in Lion. But it didn't initially.

In 10.7.0, it was broken.
In 10.7.1, it was fixed and you could drag files to open/save dialogs to select them.

In 10.8.0 DP1, it's now broken again.

And I do consider it "broken."

Tom8
Feb 19, 2012, 06:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not sure about preview & TextEdit coming to iOS. Saving to iCloud from those Apps is an easy way to share across macs.

For example:
A group is working on a project. Rather than using Dropbox, they use iCloud and a single login to share files with each other instantly & also be able to see changes live as they happen (John Gruber who was at the Apple ML demo said Schiller showed him a demo of editing a document on a Mac & the changes being instantly reflected on the iPad when the file was saved to iCloud via the Mac. He said that the document on the iPad didn't need to be closed and reopen, the changes just appeared.)

yetanotherdave
Feb 19, 2012, 07:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not sure about preview & TextEdit coming to iOS. Saving to iCloud from those Apps is an easy way to share across macs.

For example:
A group is working on a project. Rather than using Dropbox, they use iCloud and a single login to share files with each other instantly & also be able to see changes live as they happen (John Gruber who was at the Apple ML demo said Schiller showed him a demo of editing a document on a Mac & the changes being instantly reflected on the iPad when the file was saved to iCloud via the Mac. He said that the document on the iPad didn't need to be closed and reopen, the changes just appeared.)

Data corruption potential means it wont happen. With simultaneous edits happening, how does iCloud decide which version is correct? iCloud is a single user sevice, not designed for you to be editing the same file in multiple places simultaneously.

Jagardn
Feb 19, 2012, 07:59 PM
Data corruption potential means it wont happen. With simultaneous edits happening, how does iCloud decide which version is correct? iCloud is a single user sevice, not designed for you to be editing the same file in multiple places simultaneously.

In cases with multiple users, It could simply tell "User1" that is going to edit the file, that it is checked out by "User2". It wouldn't allow simultaneous edits, but it would resolve the issue your talking about. It's not a perfect solution, but could work in some cases.

yetanotherdave
Feb 19, 2012, 08:39 PM
In cases with multiple users, It could simply tell "User1" that is going to edit the file, that it is checked out by "User2". It wouldn't allow simultaneous edits, but it would resolve the issue your talking about. It's not a perfect solution, but could work in some cases.

Microsoft's sharepoint does this. From experience
people never ever remember to check things back in. Ever. Leaving the file read only.
I'm sure apple would make a better job of it, if they wanted to. But it's not what the product is aimed at, so I don't see them trying to tackle this.

pmz
Feb 19, 2012, 09:25 PM
The second device will already be loading the tabs you had open on the first by the time you put the first one down, I would hope anyway.

Sigh. Goodbye what's left of battery life.

pmz
Feb 19, 2012, 09:47 PM
Mountain Lion looks awesome, however,

Nope.

----------

And you know that how? They've had the Finder and iDisk for years....no one cared...except a very small user base.

iOS is already better than OS X in a lot of ways, and Apple is addressing that beautifully with Lion and now Mountain Lion.

Don't even bother with further comments on the subject. The idea that archaic, rigid file manager has anything to do with the post-pc era is ludicrous. Its just not happening, and people don't care for it.

The average person does not care about or want to see files. You, the person who does care, knows where to find them. It works for all, so start getting used to it.

The way you used to do things, was the only way. Now there are better ways. Don't complain because you don't feel like changing. No one said you ever needed to update your machine past Tiger, or Leopard.

jayhawk11
Feb 19, 2012, 09:49 PM
VIPs button in Mail. Indicating possible Priority Inbox like feature coming to iCloud Mail.

Image (http://img.skitch.com/20120218-gpsg7hd7iqchwkk8t4pg8r4y2i.jpg)

It's not for priority inbox. It's so that you can choose to get alerts only from people that matter. There's an option in Mail preferences.

markrox7
Feb 19, 2012, 10:12 PM
Any info if Microsoft Office will come out to support 10.8 ML? It's been said they might release the next Office Suite on the Mac App Store but will they do it before ML or after its release?

Tmelon
Feb 19, 2012, 10:38 PM
Any info if Microsoft Office will come out to support 10.8 ML? It's been said they might release the next Office Suite on the Mac App Store but will they do it before ML or after its release?

A totally new version of Office (2013 or 2014) is a ways away, but they had promised a version that included versions and full screen. Of course that was many months ago, but that version will probably be submitted to the Mac App Store.

Joe HS
Feb 20, 2012, 12:11 AM
Sigh. Goodbye what's left of battery life.

Good point.. Didn't even think of that.
Maybe a better solution would just downlaod a list of the URL's on the other devices at any given time and load the actual content of the currently stored websites when Safari is (re)launched.
I just don't think that Apple is likely to prominently feature a "sync tabs" button in Safari's interface. Unless they reclaim space from adding an Omnibox?

Jaben3421
Feb 20, 2012, 12:17 AM
The Ability to encrypt drives via finder
http://jaben3421.org/EMAA

eagandale4114
Feb 20, 2012, 12:36 AM
UI Changes in Date & Time Settings.

Nevermind it is the same as Lion :p

MrAppleseed
Feb 20, 2012, 03:57 AM
UI Changes in Date & Time Settings.

That’s not very different from Lion, is it? Only the space between the date box and the calendar looks slightly different to me.

DeckMan
Feb 20, 2012, 04:26 AM
And you know that how? They've had the Finder and iDisk for years....no one cared...except a very small user base. ... The idea that archaic, rigid file manager has anything to do with the post-pc era is ludicrous.

Heh. You should've read my follow-up comment - the comment you're quoting was a response to the thought that Apple would remove the Finder and file system access, which wasn't even introduced by the comment before me, I just misread it.

But, are you seriously saying no one cared about the Finder? Because that would be weird. Sure, in Lion they made it a lot easier to live mostly without it, and that trend will probably continue - but people have this tendency to use archaic, rigid, USB pen drives. Sure, most start using services like Dropbox to share files - which they access using the Finder. Can you share your documents with the new iCloud? - Frankly, it would be weird and archaic if you couldn't, but as far as I know Apple didn't advertise that yet, so they might not include it in 10.8.0. But even if they do, that just leaves the significant number of people sharing files with Windows users, that will still have to use the file system. Just saying.

Don't get me wrong, I have zero problems with change. When I switched to the Mac in 2009, I was happy to use the file browser a lot less thanks to Spotlight, Stacks and such. So if Apple found a way to make people not have to use the Finder, ever, I would welcome that - I just don't see it happening.

87racer
Feb 20, 2012, 05:02 AM
Just figured out another solution to VMWare Fusion on a Mountain Lion host. Check this (http://bit.ly/zxz54H) out if you need it.

vixducis
Feb 20, 2012, 08:33 AM
So if Apple found a way to make people not have to use the Finder, ever, I would welcome that - I just don't see it happening.

I present you: Terminal :D

Apollo1111
Feb 20, 2012, 09:45 AM
Does anyone know if they fixed the functionality of the Archive button in Mail when you use it with a Gmail account?

It works as you'd expect in iOS, but in Lion it moves the message into a /Archive folder, which is super annoying.

notrack
Feb 20, 2012, 09:47 AM
Finder is sure not the ultimate solution but still the best available. I thing he will be around for quite a while even if something new will be introduced.

App-centric saving I don't consider as a good solution. Although iTunes and Aperture are named as good example, this is a technical approach. You are saving according to file types. And that is not the way to go making things simpler.

As we all know, everything moves to the internet and therefor to the computer. Doing homework, recieving invoices, preparing your holidays, plannign your wedding, calculating financials etc... All that is cumulating to a lot of stuff with different files. Try to do that with the iPad, it's very very inconvenient. Much easier on the Mac.

I don't think we need a fixed folder/file structure for placing data. We could do it the other way around so that files have their "location" attached similar to tagging. Two files with the attached info "wedding" would show up in a dynamically created (or virtual) folder "wedding". These folders could be everywhere you search for it. Remove the content and the folder will disappear again. (Maybe a finder-like function will make it into the apps.)

But just dumping all files into an app withour further care makes no sense at all. Sooner or later everyone has to deal with files/data.

DeckMan
Feb 20, 2012, 10:04 AM
Right. App-centric saving is essentially a very simple type of tagging that only allows the tag "open with application AppName". I can see the appeal of a sophisticated tagging system - if you really wanted to, you could achieve that now, either by creating aliases or with smart folders and Spotlight comments. On the other hand, if folders containing tags were allowed, you could emulate a folder structure with tags.

Just dumping stuff into an app might make sense with iTunes and iPhoto/Aperture - I say might, because there might as well be use cases where even that doesn't make sense. Like if you want to edit a photo with Photoshop and have to fire up iPhoto just for that, because you can't find the file without it.

I present you: Terminal :D

Nice :D

Peace
Feb 20, 2012, 01:01 PM
Like to copy folders ?

imcquill
Feb 20, 2012, 01:55 PM
In Calendar (iCal), if you're in 'month view', and you go to the "next month", does it show that page turning animation? That is the worst animation in history, because if you want to quickly move forward 5 months, it goes from taking 1s with no animation, to 20s when you have to wait for each animation to complete.

iGuardian
Feb 20, 2012, 02:23 PM
In Calendar (iCal), if you're in 'month view', and you go to the "next month", does it show that page turning animation? That is the worst animation in history, because if you want to quickly move forward 5 months, it goes from taking 1s with no animation, to 20s when you have to wait for each animation to complete.

There's no animation when you click the 'next' arrow, however it will animate if you use 2 finger scrolling on the trackpad.

Davalaus
Feb 20, 2012, 02:27 PM
they en't gonna change that back; its part of their new design and for some reason people like grey, just look at most cars.

imcquill
Feb 20, 2012, 02:31 PM
There's no animation when you click the 'next' arrow, however it will animate if you use 2 finger scrolling on the trackpad.

Well, I think that's a reasonable compromise. In Lion, it animates with the keyboard shortcut as well. Thanks.

MrAppleseed
Feb 20, 2012, 02:35 PM
Well, I think that's a reasonable compromise. In Lion, it animates with the keyboard shortcut as well. Thanks.

You might want to hold down the alt-key until then when clicking the buttons. That suppresses the animation in Lion as well.

tootall
Feb 20, 2012, 02:41 PM
Can anyone please explain me why or how Finder would disappear? I understand the principle of App-centric file saving but that does not make finder obsolete. In my case, and I am sure I am not alone, I save several files in folders according to a common characteristic such as a project name. In each folder, I have several different types of files (xlsx, docx, pptx, jpg, pdf, ...), opening files through the apps instead of finder would not be very efficient when one has hundreds or even thousands of projects.

Can someone please reassure me?

xxBURT0Nxx
Feb 20, 2012, 02:45 PM
settle down, nobody is saying there won't be a finder.

some people feel like apple is going to move away from requiring the user to create a file system with their own hierarchy. Finder will still be there for those power users who need/want this feature, but for those who don't, the apps will take care of the file system for you.

satkin2
Feb 20, 2012, 02:45 PM
A few quick questions on desktop behaviour.

1) In Lion, if you close the last window of a full screen Safari session and then open a new link with a shortcut (i.e.: ⌘2 will open my second bookmarks bar page) this opens in windowed mode. Is this still the case in ML or does it remember I was set to full screen mode and open the page in full screen?

2) Has the annoying "This Desktop" option work better in Lion. i.e.: If I've got an app open in Desktop 3 and set it to This Desktop, I do this so that I know pressing ^ 3 will take me to that desktop. If for some reason I close that desktop when the app is closed though, it forgets my setting an will open on desktop 1 when I relaunch the app. It would be much better if opening the app would create the required desktops again so that the app relaunched in Desktop 3 where I was last working on it.

3) Is there an option to set the desktop image for all desktops. If you only have desktop 1 open in Lion and change the desktop, this is reflected in any new desktops you create. However, if you've got more than one desktop open when the desktop image is set, it's just for the desktop you're on. A check box for apply to all desktops would be nice.

thundersteele
Feb 20, 2012, 03:21 PM
Can anyone please explain me why or how Finder would disappear? I understand the principle of App-centric file saving but that does not make finder obsolete. In my case, and I am sure I am not alone, I save several files in folders according to a common characteristic such as a project name. In each folder, I have several different types of files (xlsx, docx, pptx, jpg, pdf, ...), opening files through the apps instead of finder would not be very efficient when one has hundreds or even thousands of projects.

Can someone please reassure me?

A long time ago, the Terminal was the only way to interact with a computer. Now it's role in everyday use of a computer is very small - I'm sure there are many users that are not even aware of the Terminal.app in OSX, and wouldn't know what to do with it once it's launched.

For a while, the Finder (and it's equivalents on other OSs) was an integral part of everyday use: To start an application, you would navigate to its installation directory and launch it from there. Same for accessing a file.
These days, my use of the finder is much reduced, and I actually prefer whenever I don't have to use it. To launch an app, I use launchpad (one gesture, one click), to access a file I use an appropriate application and hope that the file is still in the "recent files."

They won't remove the finder. However it will loose it's importance for everyday use.

JohnDoe98
Feb 20, 2012, 03:27 PM
They won't remove the finder. However it will loose it's importance for everyday use.

I can only see this happening if they allow things like folders within folders from within apps' file interfaces. Without that ability the Finder remains essential for many of us. It would be nice to see Finder go the way of Terminal though.

DeckMan
Feb 20, 2012, 04:13 PM
To launch an app, I use launchpad (one gesture, one click), to access a file I use an appropriate application and hope that the file is still in the "recent files."

And if it isn't, there's always Spotlight :)

some people feel like apple is going to move away from requiring the user to create a file system with their own hierarchy.

Actually you're not even required to create a hierarchy now, are you? If you don't, apps will simply all save their stuff to ~/Documents. I don't know if anyone does that, but I think it could work - it's just kinda complicated for projects that require different file types and different apps.

thundersteele
Feb 20, 2012, 04:14 PM
I can only see this happening if they allow things like folders within folders from within apps' file interfaces. Without that ability the Finder remains essential for many of us. It would be nice to see Finder go the way of Terminal though.

My android phone has no finder by default, and iOS also comes without, as far as I know. Still people are able to store and access data on their smartphones and iPads. However they stop worrying where that data is actually stored, as long as they remember how to access it.

Also on the desktop it will be beneficial to move away from the "A file is in a folder is in a folder is in a folder" structure. If I open iTunes, I see all my music in a simple, organized way. I don't care that each song is stored in
/Users/username/Music/iTunes/Media/_name of artist_/_name of album_/artist.album.songname.mp3

When I got Lion, I thought "All my files" was the most stupid change they could ever make to Finder. Just right now I figured out how useful it is. I start keynote, click "Open", click "All my files", and immediately have the list of all presentations on my machine, and I can even preview them without opening them.

Right now I still have to worry about my files going into the dropbox folder, for backup purposes. In ML this will be easier, since I can decide to either have it somewhere on my filesystem, or on the cloud. I just hope that there will be a setting to keep a local copy of each cloud file, for when there is no internet.

scottsjack
Feb 20, 2012, 04:49 PM
Actually you're not even required to create a hierarchy now, are you? If you don't, apps will simply all save their stuff to ~/Documents. I don't know if anyone does that, but I think it could work - it's just kinda complicated for projects that require different file types and different apps.

If you're just going to use your Mac to buy Apple supplied content for iTunes or fiddle around on Facebook you're OK not knowing what a file system or user Library is. However if you intend to do real work on a Mac that involves dealing with documents or images it's nice to know how to use the file system. Offices have file cabinets and drawers for a reason.

TheGdog
Feb 20, 2012, 04:59 PM
Saving directly to iCloud is good stuff. But unfortunately it's not syncing.

So let me get this right, with ML you can save to iCloud, but there is still not a copy on my machine. So no internet, no files? I would have to save it both places and keep up with both of them? How is that helping anyone?

RoelJuun
Feb 20, 2012, 05:01 PM
That feature was useful back when you could zoom in on finder windows with two fingers. This disappeared on lion, along with the zoom bar at the bottom. I would really like to get that ability back.

I too want to be able to pinch-to-zoom in the Finder. The zoom bar is still there but Lion hides the 'Status bar' on default. Open a Finder window en press cmd + / to regain it. The slider is still bugged though…I find that really ridiculous and shameful.

xxBURT0Nxx
Feb 20, 2012, 05:07 PM
So let me get this right, with ML you can save to iCloud, but there is still not a copy on my machine. So no internet, no files? I would have to save it both places and keep up with both of them? How is that helping anyone?
why don't you just use dropbox? easy, cheap, been around for a while, syncs, can set up shared folders... really way better than iCloud in every way.

TheGdog
Feb 20, 2012, 05:12 PM
why don't you just use dropbox? easy, cheap, been around for a while, syncs, can set up shared folders... really way better than iCloud in every way.

I do use Dropbox, but its one extra step to open a file in iWorks on my iOS device and then sending it back. Why bother when you can have it all sync in the background. I'm not complaining, but it would be really nice to see syncing like between the iPad and iPhone/iPod touch. However I don't use pages on my iPod very much.

notrack
Feb 20, 2012, 05:25 PM
I do use Dropbox, but its one extra step to open a file in iWorks on my iOS device and then sending it back. Why bother when you can have it all sync in the background. I'm not complaining, but it would be really nice to see syncing like between the iPad and iPhone/iPod touch. However I don't use pages on my iPod very much.

Exactly the same thoughts I have. I use WUALA which syncs encrypted. But with 10.8 the iCloud file sync with Mac will probably not work from finder but from files stored within iWork apps (just like on the iPad).

madeofchalk
Feb 20, 2012, 05:37 PM
I wonder - is it just a backup in another location, or is iCloud the only location then? Like, will copies of the files in iCloud be saved on the Mac for when you don't have internet access?

They're synced to ~/Library/Mobile Documents/, just like Dropbox

thundersteele
Feb 20, 2012, 05:44 PM
If you're just going to use your Mac to buy Apple supplied content for iTunes or fiddle around on Facebook you're OK not knowing what a file system or user Library is. However if you intend to do real work on a Mac that involves dealing with documents or images it's nice to know how to use the file system. Offices have file cabinets and drawers for a reason.

Well, in the office you have two options, either you go and find the file yourself, or you ask your office assistant to fetch the file for you.

Given the choice, I would prefer finder to be my office assistant, not my drawer!

I'm not saying that we should get rid of hierarchical file systems. But I think that a OS that minimizes the interaction of the average user with the filesystem is not a bad thing.

ToddJ
Feb 20, 2012, 06:09 PM

Is there a way to use it with Pages or Numbers for iOs?

jacg
Feb 20, 2012, 06:11 PM
2) Has the annoying "This Desktop" option work better in Lion. i.e.: If I've got an app open in Desktop 3 and set it to This Desktop, I do this so that I know pressing ^ 3 will take me to that desktop. If for some reason I close that desktop when the app is closed though, it forgets my setting an will open on desktop 1 when I relaunch the app. It would be much better if opening the app would create the required desktops again so that the app relaunched in Desktop 3 where I was last working on it.

MS Office manages to disregard my desktop settings most of the time (without doing what you describe). Will Apple help them fix this because by the time MS offer a working version for Lion, ML will be out.

ECUpirate44
Feb 20, 2012, 06:45 PM
Why does messages make a folder in my documents called iChats?

MrAndy1369
Feb 20, 2012, 07:50 PM
Strange - when I booted ML on my MBP, there was the spinning gear under the Apple logo when booting. However, I had a multi-boot config with Lion so maybe the Lion boot loader was kept? Can anyone else confirm the missing spinning gear under the Apple logo when booting ML?

There is no spinning circle under the Apple logo when booting.

xxBURT0Nxx
Feb 20, 2012, 09:07 PM
Is there a way to use it with Pages or Numbers for iOs?
don't know about for iOS, i wasn't considering that. I use it to keep files in the cloud that i need access from multiple computers. Never had the need to try and edit a document in Pages on my phone, so never tried it.

Apollo1111
Feb 20, 2012, 09:53 PM
Anyone know if the ARCHIVE button in Mountain Lion's Mail app works the way it does in the iOS Mail app?

Referring to Gmail integration, does the Archive button finally archive emails, or does it still move them to a folder called /Archive?

Thanks!

pmz
Feb 20, 2012, 10:07 PM

There is no search function for file cabinets.

It irritates me when people suggest that creating hierarchy's of folders has anything to do with professional work. Ridiculous.

notrack
Feb 21, 2012, 04:54 AM

It irritates me when people suggest that creating hierarchy's of folders has anything to do with professional work. Ridiculous.

I guess that is because they (me too) can't picture any better alternative today. Finder in column view plus Spotlight is pretty powerful and really easy to use. It's by far not the ultimate solution but the best in terms of "quick and easy". Can't wait to see what Apple will come up with.

tootall
Feb 21, 2012, 07:49 AM

Personnally I don't know what is a professional computer user or a power user, I believe that I am neither, but I have been using a computer to teach classes at the university and do research for the past 20 years. As of now I have over 48 000 data files. The only efficient way to work with all that data is to have it organized with a file system (folders and subfolders organized by class and projects).

Using name search in spotlight does not work efficiently because there are so many different iterations of similar files. I may have a powerpoint for when I teach a specific subject at the undergraduate level and a similar (but more thorough) one for the graduate level.

IMHO, users can avoid finder when they have a limited number of files or when they mostly use the same files (so they find them in "recent files"). Otherwise it becomes cumbersome... in any case as long as there is different ways to open files (w and w/o finder), everybody will be happy...

GermanyChris
Feb 21, 2012, 08:13 AM
Personnally I don't know what is a professional computer user or a power user, I believe that I am neither, but I have been using a computer to teach classes at the university and do research for the past 20 years. As of now I have over 48 000 data files. The only efficient way to work with all that data is to have it organized with a file system (folders and subfolders organized by class and projects).

Using name search in spotlight does not work efficiently because there are so many different iterations of similar files. I may have a powerpoint for when I teach a specific subject at the undergraduate level and a similar (but more thorough) one for the graduate level.

IMHO, users can avoid finder when they have a limited number of files or when they mostly use the same files (so they find them in "recent files"). Otherwise it becomes cumbersome... in any case as long as there is different ways to open files (w and w/o finder), everybody will be happy...

I agree with you....but

If you save your files with some meta data you can just search..

I was in a share point class where I was treated as the slow kid because I have folders within folders it's just how I think and organize

t0mbola
Feb 21, 2012, 08:25 AM

Files should be saved under each app, then organised using smart folders. The same thing what we have been doing with our music for a decade thanks to iTunes. It is like SQL database, it doesn't have any folders or subfolders. You insert your data into appropriate tables and then get required data by querying the database.

It is so simple. Filesystem will end up where Terminal is now, great tool for power users and admins, but also something that normal user will never have to learn. Makes perfect sense to me.

xxBURT0Nxx
Feb 21, 2012, 09:07 AM
Files should be saved under each app, then organised using smart folders. The same thing what we have been doing with our music for a decade thanks to iTunes. It is like SQL database, it doesn't have any folders or subfolders. You insert your data into appropriate tables and then get required data by querying the database.

It is so simple. Filesystem will end up where Terminal is now, great tool for power users and admins, but also something that normal user will never have to learn. Makes perfect sense to me.
IDK anything really about SQL, but iTunes definitely creates folders and subfolders to keep your music organized.

user/music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Artist/Album/song_name.mp3

t0mbola
Feb 21, 2012, 09:13 AM
IDK anything really about SQL, but iTunes definitely creates folders and subfolders to keep your music organized.

user/music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Artist/Album/song_name.mp3

Exactly. There is alway going to be some sort of file system but user will not have to interact with it anymore. Like you don't have to interact with the iTunes file system, you use iTunes app to sync / play audio files.

xxBURT0Nxx
Feb 21, 2012, 09:21 AM
Exactly. There is alway going to be some sort of file system but user will not have to interact with it anymore. Like you don't have to interact with the iTunes file system, you use iTunes app to sync / play audio files.
yeah, i understand how that works, and i feel like every app is going to work this way sooner than later. People don't even understand what a file system does.

Can't even tell you how many times I will send a folder or file to someone, they click on it and Finder opens. They see two folders inside (one the program, one the readme, for example) and they get confused and don't know what to do.

People not familiar with computers don't need to have folders in folders trying to figure out how to get to what they want.