Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brendando

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
Popover

I could be wrong, but in the Accounts Pref-Pane when you go to change your picture, it has one of the new white "pop" pop-overs that offers 4 options: Defaults, Recents, Faces and Camera. Nice to see some more UI unification following their own new introductions in Lion, seems neater somehow. Also nice to see faces integration too.

Attachments

• New copy.jpg
    New copy.jpg
    709.7 KB · Views: 1,530

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Gmail webmail detects the notification centre and offers options for desktop notifications. They don't appear to work yet though (this is really a Chrome feature so may not mean much).

Attachments

• gmail.jpg
    gmail.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 831

Brendando

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
AppStore

Small one:
App Store finally has fullscreen mode. Was surprised that that wasn't incorporated into the release of Lion, to be perfectly honest. Would be nice to see it in a few others for consistency's sake- for example, in System Preferences.

Attachments

• AppStore.jpg
    AppStore.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 721

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
I believe thats a third part app, I used to have it installed on Lion.
It's there since PPC Tiger, appears if you have a tablet device connected (or the virtual machine makes the guest OS think it is connected) - and it seems to me by the screenshots, it hasn't changed a bit from the Tiger and the versions following.

Bigtree

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Small one:
App Store finally has fullscreen mode. Was surprised that that wasn't incorporated into the release of Lion, to be perfectly honest. Would be nice to see it in a few others for consistency's sake- for example, in System Preferences.

I wonder if it will support gestures?

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Anyone else notice the change in the text rendering in 10.8 when compared to 10.7?

Some texts (in various apps) appear "faint". Like they changed the aliasing method?

http://cl.ly/1G0b1P3x2C202I21193G

http://cl.ly/0i3Q0O3i2R1E2u3q0D0s

I actually prefer the bolder form factor. It's one of the first things I noticed upon switching from PC to MAC. The bold look is nice, makes things a bit easier to read and seems to smooth out the edges for a nice look.

I suppose this could bother people who are trying to design a uniform website, but just speaking personally I prefer it.

JPOWA

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Anyone tried to install and run vmware fusion 4 or parallels 7 on a mouton lion clean install?

Vmware doesn't run and parallels fail to open my xp virtual machine!

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
hmm since notification center is a 2 finger swipe, i guess this means you wont be able to swipe forward in safari/app store .. ?

JPOWA

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
hmm since notification center is a 2 finger swipe, i guess this means you wont be able to swipe forward in safari/app store .. ?

Yes you can! The swipe for notifications it only works on left corner of the trackpad! ;)

DeckMan

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011

Again, it only opens if you swipe from the right edge. Scrolling and swiping forward will still work.

----------

This is now probably my favourite small thing: You can send any file to IOS or OS X with Messages! :D

Wait, you can send files to iOS? How will they be stored, and can you later send them from there to another Mac?

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
iCal

My favourite new feature that will let me drop a $20p/a subscription to spanning sync is that iCal now lets you properly 2 way sync all your google calendars natively in the app, prefs, accounts, delegation. Previously it would only show your main account, or use CalDav which didn't work properly.

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
Chess!

Chess actually supports full-screen now, as advertised an operating system ago, as well as Game Center. Oh, and it's got the worlds laziest backdrop behind the board.

4g41vb.png

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
My favourite new feature that will let me drop a $20p/a subscription to spanning sync is that iCal now lets you properly 2 way sync all your google calendars natively in the app, prefs, accounts, delegation. Previously it would only show your main account, or use CalDav which didn't work properly.
screenshot?

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
I've been quite impressed with the performance and additional features so far with Mountain Lion. Though I was happy enough with Lion this does feel like what Lion was truly meant to be.

My single largest gripe is that they haven't fixed how dual monitor setups are handled with fullscreen apps. It's totally ridiculous that a full screen app on one monitor disables the second monitor from use. I can't fathom how they ended up with that being "working as designed". Giving us the ability to swipe between fullscreen apps on multiple displays independently, have one full screen (and swipeable) app on one and your desktop on the other, or just allow two unique desktops a la Spaces would all be amazing additions. That would really take this release to the next level IMO and add a lot of lost functionality from Lion and Mission Control back into Mountain Lion while enhancing it even further.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I've not seen this mentioned anywhere else but there's a new (to me) icon in the System Preferences pane called Ink that has something to do with hand writing recognition. Also, it's a 32-bit preference pane so requires a restart of System Preferences when selected.

That's actually been there since 2002 in Jaguar.

DeckMan

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
My single largest gripe is that they haven't fixed how dual monitor setups are handled with fullscreen apps.

So if there's a window on your secondary monitor, and you make it fullscreen, does it still get moved to the main monitor in the dev preview? :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.