PDA

View Full Version : How are you all installing mountain lion

cis4life
Feb 16, 2012, 04:54 PM
Hello,

I've been an iOS developer and been working with that for a while now, but today I decided to add a mac developer account to my account so I can beta test mountain lion and work some of it's features from a developer stand point. I was thinking I could install ML in VMWare Fusion as a VM, but I guess I can't at this point. So how are you all installing ML without messing with your Lion install.

This is my first time installing another Mac OS next to my Regular OS (outside of VMWare Fusion). So do I just run the install, and will it setup another partition for ML? and if so, is it kind of like bootcamp where I will have a choice of what OS I want to run at boot up?

Sorry if this seems newbieish, it is just my first time dealing with this type of install outside of VMWare.

Thanks

macbookman83
Feb 16, 2012, 07:39 PM
Hello,

I've been an iOS developer and been working with that for a while now, but today I decided to add a mac developer account to my account so I can beta test mountain lion and work some of it's features from a developer stand point. I was thinking I could install ML in VMWare Fusion as a VM, but I guess I can't at this point. So how are you all installing ML without messing with your Lion install.

This is my first time installing another Mac OS next to my Regular OS (outside of VMWare Fusion). So do I just run the install, and will it setup another partition for ML? and if so, is it kind of like bootcamp where I will have a choice of what OS I want to run at boot up?

Sorry if this seems newbieish, it is just my first time dealing with this type of install outside of VMWare.

Thanks

I'm curious too...... When you used VMware what error message did you get?

maflynn
Feb 16, 2012, 07:50 PM
Interesting, I did not even think of going that route.

I may have to investigate the feasibility of ML inside vmware, though I'd prefer the full version so performance can be at its best

cis4life
Feb 16, 2012, 07:55 PM
I haven't tried via VM yet. I saw in another post where a user was getting all kind of errors when he tried to run ML in VM 4.

So the way you all are installing ML, are you all just over writing your main OS with the test / beta OS?

Thanks,

grapes911
Feb 16, 2012, 07:56 PM
I boot from an external hard drive.

cis4life
Feb 16, 2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks,

I took your advice, and instead just partition a small piece of my HD and put ML on it.

Pretty Nice so far. This is going to be a great summer!

RaMaz07
Feb 16, 2012, 10:56 PM
I plan to install it on a new partition on my 11" MacBook Air on the SSD. Back when the first lion beta was available I also made a new partition for that but it was on my origial MacBook Air on its HDD. :apple:

maflynn
Feb 17, 2012, 06:51 AM
I boot from an external hard drive.
That's not a bad idea, it preserves your Lion partition but the only downside is that any apps that require installation may need to be reinstalled.

I cloned my internal drive to an external one, and I'll see if I can "upgrade" that with ML, that way I get apps and the new OS, leaving my Lion partition fairly untouched.

ChristianJapan
Feb 17, 2012, 06:27 PM
I upgraded my virtual Lion to 10.7.3 and got the redemption code for ML; but when I try to install it actually nothing happen; still trying ...

frunkis54
Feb 17, 2012, 07:06 PM
i just put it on my 2011 macbook air 13". No problems works fine.

daneoni
Feb 17, 2012, 08:59 PM
External HDD

nick7138
Feb 17, 2012, 09:14 PM
External HDD
Doing the same thing. I partitioned my TM backup drive for a second partition. Surprisingly, it runs flawlessly and there's little, if any, lag. This is definitely my favorite way also because I could simply unplug it and plug it into one of my other macs and pick up where I left off.

Killerbob
Feb 18, 2012, 03:03 AM
Created a new ML Parallels VM, and migrated my TC of Lion.

cambookpro
Feb 18, 2012, 03:14 AM
Thanks,

I took your advice, and instead just partition a small piece of my HD and put ML on it.

Pretty Nice so far. This is going to be a great summer!

How would you delete the partition when actual ML comes out? I was reading that you'd have to reformat your HD and then restore from a backup. Is this true?

Donza
Feb 18, 2012, 03:25 AM
Bravely (and foolishly) upgraded over 10.7.3 on my MacBook Air 11". Filevault was enabled and on the first boot it didn't accept my password needed instead type in the recovery key. Otherwise everything seems to work OK.

adztaylor
Feb 18, 2012, 04:09 AM
I cloned my internal drive to an external one, and I'll see if I can "upgrade" that with ML, that way I get apps and the new OS, leaving my Lion partition fairly untouched.

That is exactly what I've done. Works well.

DougieB
Feb 18, 2012, 07:44 AM
When I was running the developer builds of Lion I had a partition on my external HD for the dev OS. Runs very smoothly over firewire. Simply wiped that partition and have put Mountain Lion on it now.

Surprisingly stable for the first dev preview.

ChristianJapan
Feb 18, 2012, 08:00 AM
Finally worked on Lion-based VMWare Fusion to install; somehow took very long to download ...

jennyp
Feb 18, 2012, 08:52 AM
That is exactly what I've done. Works well.

Is it easy enough to choose the ext hd when you run the install app from your machine's hd?

merrickdrfc
Feb 18, 2012, 08:53 AM
I use it as the primary OS on my 2011 13" MacBook Air, my secondary machine, and my iMac is still running 10.7.3.

maflynn
Feb 18, 2012, 08:56 AM
My external hard drive crapped the bed, so after re-backing up my MBP (to a different drive) I just installed it directly. I'll restore the back up when I feel its time to go back to 10.7.

adztaylor
Feb 18, 2012, 09:07 AM
Is it easy enough to choose the ext hd when you run the install app from your machine's hd?

Yup it gives you the option to choose where you want to install it.

T4R06
Feb 18, 2012, 09:17 AM
i downloaded the dmg then went to disk utilities to put it on my 8g usb drive to then did fresh install

KPOM
Feb 18, 2012, 03:33 PM

That's my approach, as well. I've noticed that, although it adds some bugs, it actually fixes a few as well (e.g. Office 2011 seems to "forget" it is activated when I have a Thunderbolt device activated in Lion, but works just fine in 10.8).

GermanyChris
Feb 18, 2012, 03:46 PM
On a small 20GB partition..

OSX is back!

LGN
Feb 18, 2012, 03:48 PM
I've got it on a second partition on my Mac mini.

When I try the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, I guess I'll have a Triple Boot

Sdreed91
Feb 18, 2012, 07:01 PM
Anyone have any ML install issues? Bricked devices?

Or has everyone played it safe and installed on a seperate partition?

AndyMoore
Feb 19, 2012, 11:15 AM
Trying to install it to an external USB drive but it pauses at 18 minutes left . . .

BFW122083
Feb 19, 2012, 11:38 AM
I just made a second partition on my hd, and when installing used a time machine backup. Everything is good so far.

CodeBreaker
Feb 19, 2012, 01:08 PM
I have File Vault 2 enabled for my internal HDD. Can I just make a 20 GB partition and install ML on it? Or do I have to first disable File Vault and reconvert the disk to a normal one? Because AFAIK, you cannot resize FV enabled partitions.

MonkeyBrainz
Feb 19, 2012, 01:25 PM
I installed ML on a separate partition using a USB flash drive that I transferred the OS to via Disk Utility. I partitioned the drive with the Boot Camp Assistant (I'm lazy). Just remember if you use Boot Camp that you'll need to format the second partition again as FAT32 if you wish to merge the partitions as one again (if you're using the Assistant, otherwise iPartition works quite well).

Quotenfrau
Mar 20, 2012, 09:45 AM
I am planning to buy a developer subscription. Is Mountain Lion available in App Store? When final version will be released, do I need to rebuy Mountain Lion again?

ktappe
Apr 11, 2012, 12:26 PM
I'm curious too...... When you used VMware what error message did you get?

No error, but the VMWare "Installation Media" window won't let you drag ML onto it. Lion installer drags fine and gives the green "+" circle, but ML installer app is not recognized. So how are all of you getting ML into VMWare? I even tried renaming the ML installer app to match the Lion, but no-go. Seems like VMWare has a way of telling what is and isn't Lion, and Lion is all it will accept.

jabbawok
Apr 11, 2012, 02:50 PM
Its on its own HDD in my Mac Pro. Unfortunately I have to use Chameleon to boot it as my 1,1 Mac Pro doesn't have EFI64 support. I had to install it on the beta of VMware then mount the VMware HDD and used Superduper to copy the install to the HDD set up as MBR with Chameleon.
A lot of messing but it runs very well on my 5 year old Mac.

pdjudd
Apr 11, 2012, 06:33 PM
I am planning to buy a developer subscription. Is Mountain Lion available in App Store? When final version will be released, do I need to rebuy Mountain Lion again?

Yes, it is being distributed via the App store and, assuming that you get the GM, you almost certainly will not have re-buy the release. The GM is the final release. However nothing final has been announced but every other DP cycle that I have heard of has always offered a GM that works the exact same as the final release. My guess is that either you get the GM or a code for the retail version or both.

Just a theory though.