PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on the Dell XPS 13?

Kendo
Feb 28, 2012, 05:30 PM
I love my MacBook Air and one of the biggest challenges is finding a Windows laptop that has the beauty and design of an Apple computer. I honestly haven't been able to find a viable alternative although the HP Envy 15 came "somewhat" close (if MBP is a 10, I consider an Envy a 7). The reason why I need a Windows laptop is because of work reasons. I could install Windows on my MacBook Air but don't want to sacrifice space and also find it a pain to use hotkeys for certain Windows keys that I need on a regular basis like Pause Break.

I don't know how I never even heard of the Dell XPS 13 but today is the first time I even knew it existed. It looks similar to a MacBook Air but has carbon fiber underneath as opposed to being an all aluminum construction. What are everyone's thoughts on this laptop? I'm thinking I finally found a suitable Windows laptop to hang with my MBA. The only thing I will miss is the fact that no company can mimic Apple's absolute perfection of a trackpad. Scrolling in OS X is an absolute joy and I'm sad I can't get that experience on Windows 7.

Price-wise a 128GB model goes for $1000 while a 256GB model goes for $1300 so I'm definitely like that.

http://www.dell.com/html/global/xps13/xps-13-ultrabook.html?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&redirect=1

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57386936-1/dell-xps-13-review-is-this-the-ultrabook-youve-been-waiting-for/

KPOM
Feb 28, 2012, 05:35 PM
The Dell XPS 13 looks like one of the better Ultrabook efforts and has garnered praise from CNet and John C. Dvorak. It just came out, which is probably why you haven't heard of it until now. The larger screen is nice, but note that it is still just 1366x768. It has mDP and USB 3.0, but not Thunderbolt. It also has the same processor as the base 11" MacBook Air.

If you need a dedicated Windows PC it is probably a decent choice. Have you considered installing Windows in Boot Camp on your MacBook Air, though? The only real loss in speed will be slower boots and lack of TRIM support as Apple's Boot Camp drivers don't support AHCI mode for the SSD in Windows 7.

Jb07
Feb 28, 2012, 05:51 PM
The Lenovo U300s is by far my favorite Windows ultrabook. I also like the Envy 14 Spectre, just because I have had good luck with HPs in the past (not so much with Dell), but I think Dell has turned a new leaf with the XPS series. I would say go for it if you checked out all the competition and that is what you want.

jjfcpa
Feb 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
Its a very nice looking machine and I think Dell probably did this one right.

My problem is keeping it up to date with all my data. I've gotten used to running a Mac with Win7 installed in VMware JUST so I could keep everything on one computer. Love the way you can switch from Windows to Mac with a swipe.

I've always had a Windows laptop, just so I could say I had one, but a 3 or 4 year old Thinkpad currently fills that bill. Most of the time it just sits there.

I think I'll wait for the 15" MBA... maybe even a 17" MBA. Love it.

calvol
Feb 28, 2012, 10:18 PM
For business class machines, it's hard to beat Dell value. I've had a Latitude E4310 with an Arrandale i5/8MB/512GB, and it has near-desktop performance. So this XPS looks like an "Air" version of the Latitude.

One thing to note is the carbon fiber bottom, and the vented fan with a bottom intake, a design that I think the 2012 MPB and next-gen Air will go to, with a lot better cooling profile than the current Air has.

Buildbright
Feb 28, 2012, 11:27 PM
The Base is $999? Through Dell with tax for a $150 more you can get the 13 Air which is a better machine.

I think this is nice for someone who hates Apple without reason.

iAppl3Fan
Feb 28, 2012, 11:43 PM
I'm impressed. I hope Dell sticks with it and not drop it like their Amado line.

Consultant
Feb 29, 2012, 12:15 AM
All Things D review http://allthingsd.com/20120222/dell-goes-on-ultrabook-diet-with-slimmed-down-laptop/
this machine has a major downside: subpar battery life. In my standard test, it fell about an hour short of the longest-lived competing ultrabook I’ve tested and two hours short of the 13-inch MacBook Air.

Jobsian
Feb 29, 2012, 01:04 AM
As much as I'd love to see strong competition, when it really comes down to a decision, there's no serious competition, at least imo. There aren't many scenarios where I'd recommend a windows Ultrabook above an MBA, and that's not even talking about a 2012 revision.

All-round, in my eyes the closest two windows Ultrabooks would be Lenovo's Ideapad U300s and the Asus Zenbook UX31, both of which I'd recommend only if the person adamantly refuses OSX/Apple or absolutely needs a primary Windows machine.

Buildbright
Feb 29, 2012, 03:20 AM
As much as I'd love to see strong competition, when it really comes down to a decision, there's no serious competition, at least imo. There aren't many scenarios where I'd recommend a windows Ultrabook above an MBA, and that's not even talking about a 2012 revision.

All-round, in my eyes the closest two windows Ultrabooks would be Lenovo's Ideapad U300s and the Asus Zenbook UX31, both of which I'd recommend only if the person adamantly refuses OSX/Apple or absolutely needs a primary Windows machine.

**cough**

Boot Camp

**cough**

Jobsian
Feb 29, 2012, 04:26 AM
**cough**

Boot Camp

**cough**

*cough partitionsize/moreexpensiveevenwithoutbuyingWindows/usinglogiconmainstreamuser cough*

Trust me, despite the above, I try :D

HellDiverUK
Feb 29, 2012, 04:39 AM
I had a Dell XPS m1330. Then I had a Vostro 3350 (i5, ATI graphics).

The m1330 basically fell apart within a year, and it wasn't even my main computer. Then the motherboard burned out (8600GT issue).

The Vostro 3350 I got recently, it was a fast computer, but the shared video cards (ATI/Intel HD3000) was totally bugged and unusable. Returned the computer after a few weeks. Replaced with my little Lenovo, which is brilliant.

I wouldn't have another Dell laptop near me.

Xikum
Feb 29, 2012, 04:58 AM
They are very nice computers, most of the new ultra book range are. The Asus UX21 and Lenovo u3000 are my favourite.

People on here should actually be supporting Ultrabooks. Competition is NEVER a bad thing for the customer. If Ultrabooks were to fail horribly, then Apple could sit back, and let the money come rolling in without having to really improve their line. Competition will keep Apple on their toes and make sure they bring out the best they can, every year.

DVD9
Feb 29, 2012, 09:47 AM
The Base is $999? Through Dell with tax for a $150 more you can get the 13 Air which is a better machine.

I think this is nice for someone who hates Apple without reason.

This Dell machine - like almost all Windows machines now - supports USB 3.0

Apple, a company and it's fan-boys who claim that Apple is tops in technology, still supports the now archaic USB 2.0 only. Is Apple going to bring back the floppy?

Oh wait.

There's Thunderbolt.

Only there isn't. Unless you are willing to give Apple another $50 for a 25 cent manufactured cost cable to help drive Apple's stock price to $1,000 per share.

And oh yeah, you have to give Seagate $100 for the portable drive adapter too. $150- before you buy the drive.

Or you can use USB 2.0

Your choice from your friends at Apple.

Where does the hate come from?

KPOM
Feb 29, 2012, 11:09 AM
T
Oh wait.

There's Thunderbolt.

Only there isn't. Unless you are willing to give Apple another $50 for a 25 cent manufactured cost cable to help drive Apple's stock price to $1,000 per share.

At least get your facts straight. The Thunderbolt cable isn't a $0.25 cable at all, as it has advanced controllers on either end, unlike a simple USB cable. There is one third party supplier also making (black) TB cables, and they are also $50 right now.

We'll see the price drop when Ultrabooks start using Thunderbolt. Unfortunately, that likely won't be until the now-delayed Ivy Bridge chips come out, which is also when Apple will likely start using USB 3.0 since it will be native to Ivy Bridge.

Apple and Intel have never claimed Thunderbolt to be a replacement for USB 3.0. They have instead claimed it is complementary. USB 3.0 can't handle displays like the Apple Thunderbolt Display, and TB is overkill for things like flash drives and peripherals. TB will find usage in docking stations as well as enhanced displays and video in.

jsolares
Feb 29, 2012, 11:09 AM
All Things D review http://allthingsd.com/20120222/dell-goes-on-ultrabook-diet-with-slimmed-down-laptop/

I guess it has to do with it being smaller than most 13", it's almost a full inch shorter and half an inch narrower than the 13" MBA.

I wonder if it uses a blade SSD or a regular 2.5" which would leave even less space for the battery.

If i were to buy now i'm not entirely sure what i would get after looking at it.

LordVic
Feb 29, 2012, 11:27 AM
if i were in the market today,
this would likely be my laptop of choice.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the MBA. but the price for what you get here is pretty good.

Buildbright
Feb 29, 2012, 01:59 PM
*cough partitionsize/moreexpensiveevenwithoutbuyingWindows/usinglogiconmainstreamuser cough*

Trust me, despite the above, I try :D

Well thats what my dad does is run windows full time on his Air and he loves it. I have come to love Parellals.

Dells can be good laptops but they can be the worst piece of crap. Remember all those faulty motherboards they sold knowingly.

slj0085
Mar 6, 2012, 01:38 PM
I have bought a xps 13 as an alternative to try out to the air and with windows on it the air outperforms. But I have been using Ubuntu Linux and with that OS I must say its a wonderful machine. I just cant stand windows or MS!

orfeas0
Mar 6, 2012, 03:13 PM
The dell in the Cnet link you sent in the first post seems kinda fat for an ultrabook compared to the macbook air.
I say if you need an ultrabook, buy a macbook air and just put windows on it.
Or if you're not in a hurry, wait 2-3 months to see what the new macbook pros look like. It's said they're gonna be thinner (not like a macbook air, but if it's thinner than the current macbook pros it's gonna be kinda ultraportable).

Cheffy Dave
Mar 6, 2012, 04:53 PM
The Dell XPS 13 looks like one of the better Ultrabook efforts and has garnered praise from CNet and John C. Dvorak. It just came out, which is probably why you haven't heard of it until now. The larger screen is nice, but note that it is still just 1366x768. It has mDP and USB 3.0, but not Thunderbolt. It also has the same processor as the base 11" MacBook Air.

If you need a dedicated Windows PC it is probably a decent choice. Have you considered installing Windows in Boot Camp on your MacBook Air, though? The only real loss in speed will be slower boots and lack of TRIM support as Apple's Boot Camp drivers don't support AHCI mode for the SSD in Windows 7.

And it doesn't have OSX Snow Lion, or able to run Mountain Lion

Le Buzz
Mar 6, 2012, 05:31 PM
Looks like a nice machine... I especially like the edge to edge glass, which I'm hoping the next revision of the MBA will have.

Have you looked at the HP Folio 13? I've seen them for around $800.

2IS
Mar 6, 2012, 11:43 PM
And it doesn't have OSX Snow Lion, or able to run Mountain Lion

Thanks Captn Obvious.

You realize that's not a deciding factor for about 90% of the market?

tom vilsack
Mar 7, 2012, 02:20 AM
I don't like air vent along bottom (heat on lap?)...and one review i saw said it's somewhat noisy under load...

Ill wait for hopefully 15" air/macpro...but if i were in market for new computer i would give this dell a look over...

BornAgainMac
Mar 7, 2012, 07:07 AM
Windows laptops are only good if you can game on it. If you can't game on it, you might as well virtualize it on your Mac laptop.

pgiguere1
Mar 7, 2012, 08:17 AM
My thoughts:

- Pretty for a PC laptop but not as good-looking as a Mac
- Plasticky body
- 1366x768 display for 13" is poor for a PC this price
- Terrible viewing angles
- No SD card slot
- Sub-par battery life
- Thicker than MBA
- Crappy touchpad that can't detect multi-touch gestures properly

Ultrabooks are supposed to be high-end machines. Besides the weight and use of SSD, this laptop looks like a very cheap one. You'd be better off getting an Asus Zenbook if you want a Windows laptop that feels almost like a MBA, minus the backlit keyboard.

Boe11
Mar 7, 2012, 08:35 AM
Ultrabooks are supposed to be high-end machines.

I don't think that's true. They're marketed as mid-range machines, that's why if their price exceeds the 900-1200 range they're no longer considered ultrabooks by definition. Take the new samsung series 9 for example, Looks like an ultrabook but is actually a high end machine and not an ultrabook in class because of its price point.

pgiguere1
Mar 7, 2012, 09:05 AM
I don't think that's true. They're marketed as mid-range machines, that's why if their price exceeds the 900-1200 range they're no longer considered ultrabooks by definition. Take the new samsung series 9 for example, Looks like an ultrabook but is actually a high end machine and not an ultrabook in class because of its price point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrabook

Intel defines them as high-end subnotebooks. There is no maximum price for a laptop to be called an ultrabook, only minimum specifications.

The specifications, for a Sandy Bridge-based laptop, are:

- ULV processor
- Maximum 18mm thick for laptops 13.3" and smaller, 21mm for larger ones
- Minimum 5 hours of battery life
- Maximum 7 seconds to resume from hibernation

Ivy bridge-based laptops will also need a USB 3.0 port and SSD to be called ultrabooks.

The Samsung Series 9 is an ultrabook, while this Dell XPS 13 is not, according to Intel specifications, since it doesn't meet the battery life requirements.

EDIT: Actually, you can't get 5 hours of battery from a Samsung Series 9 either. I'm not sure if manufacturers need to prove it's possible for their "ultrabook" to have 5 hours of actual real-world usage, or they just need to claim it in their marketing.

Both get less than 5 hours of battery in reviews and are still listed on Intel's ultrabook list (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ultrabook/shop-ultrabook.html).

Boe11
Mar 7, 2012, 09:31 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/redesigned-samsung-series-9-laptop-announced/

engadget says the s9 isn't an ultrabook but rather a "premium, top-tier machine". You might be right, but I think we're in semantics territory. I've seen other videos reviews that indicated that the s9 isn't an ultrabook because of its higher price.

KPOM
Mar 7, 2012, 09:51 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/redesigned-samsung-series-9-laptop-announced/

engadget says the s9 isn't an ultrabook but rather a "premium, top-tier machine". You might be right, but I think we're in semantics territory. I've seen other videos reviews that indicated that the s9 isn't an ultrabook because of its higher price.

It's mostly semantics. Ultrabook is an Intel brand and they require use of a few Intel-specific technologies (such as some security technology that Apple does not use), as well as badging to qualify for the marketing support and use of the brand. The Series 7 and MacBook Air are Ultrabooks in all but name, and so is the s9.

Intel would like manufacturers to make Ultrabooks less than $1000, and to date there have been some, but it isn't a set requirement. Remember, they want to attract buyers to move up from the $350-$600 notebooks that are currently mainstream.

LordVic
Mar 7, 2012, 11:04 AM
EDIT: Actually, you can't get 5 hours of battery from a Samsung Series 9 either. I'm not sure if manufacturers need to prove it's possible for their "ultrabook" to have 5 hours of actual real-world usage, or they just need to claim it in their marketing.

Both get less than 5 hours of battery in reviews and are still listed on Intel's ultrabook list (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ultrabook/shop-ultrabook.html).

the battery thing is always going to be questionable.

Under certain usages you can definitely squeek longer times out than others. What' the criteria measured for battery usage. whats the standard testing?

for example, you claim that the XPS battery does not hit 5 hours. intel / Dell claim 8 hours. Engadget did a review yesterday and hit 4 hours and 58 minutes on their standard test, and managed around 6 hours while just using it normally with some battery tweaks.

The same issue even arises with the MBA. the 11 is quoted at what, 5 hours? somedays under heavy use i get 4, and when i'm just causually browsing / chatting while watching hockey i can easily get 6+ so which is it?

the other things such as measurements of chassis, processor limitations and the like make sense as they're easy to benchmark.

its that dang battery that just can't be done.

quite honeslty, aside from the glossy screen, and if i were in the market today for a $999 laptop (which i was in August 2011), i would likely have chosen the dell over the MBA.

if you comparison shop, the Dell at 999 provides more "bang for the buck" than the 11" MBA. the only real faulting of the Dell is again, that bloody screen. its the same resolution as the smaller 11" laptop at a bigger size.

- 1366x768 display for 13" is poor for a PC this price how do you figure? the 11" MBA is 999 and has the same resolution screen.

- No SD card slot the MBA 11" at the same price, yet again, does not have this either.

- Plasticky body It's a carbon fiber body. if you confuse carbon fiber for plastic, I question your knowledge of materials. unless of course, you're just judging based on look and not actually having one in hand, in which case, you're not really in place to say "plasticy body"

pgiguere1
Mar 7, 2012, 01:29 PM
the battery thing is always going to be questionable.
[...]

the other things such as measurements of chassis, processor limitations and the like make sense as they're easy to benchmark.

its that dang battery that just can't be done.

I agree, there is no standard battery measurement method, and it's not even possible to have one if two computers don't run the same OS.

if you comparison shop, the Dell at 999 provides more "bang for the buck" than the 11" MBA.
That's only true if you're only comparing the internals (CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD) for the price. Your productivity can also be determined by external hardware, like the screen resolution (more screen estate) and trackpad (time-saving gestures). The battery that lasts around an hour and a half more in the MBA should also make you more productive.

And considering the resale value of Macs, I'm pretty sure the cost of ownership of a MBA is lower than a Dell XPS 13 if you're gonna resell it, regardless of the original price.

how do you figure? the 11" MBA is 999 and has the same resolution screen.
1366x768 makes sense for a 11" screen, you have to consider pixel density. 1440x900 on a 11" MBA would have made text look so tiny than it would be pretty hard to read.

the MBA 11" at the same price, yet again, does not have this either.
In the 11" MBA's case, I'm pretty the limitation is not price, but room to fit a SD slot. I think it's more fair to compare the XPS 13 to the 13" MBA since it proves that it's possible to fit a SD card slot in a 13" thin laptop.

It's a carbon fiber body. if you confuse carbon fiber for plastic, I question your knowledge of materials.
Thanks for caring about my knowledge.

By the way, carbon fiber is reinforced plastic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon-fiber-reinforced_polymer

It's harder to break because of the fibers inside and the term sounds cool and all, but what you're touching is still plastic that scratches easily and feels like regular plastic.

Consultant
Mar 7, 2012, 04:16 PM
At least Dell XPS 13 has the best trackpad on the market:
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/03/06/dell-xps.php

PaulNI
Mar 7, 2012, 05:51 PM
I was all set to buy an Asus Zenbook UX21E, thankfully I had to contact Asus about a faulty graphics card I had.

It was like banging my head against the wall, passed around from person to person. Wasted hours getting nowhere, only wanted a RMA form to return the graphics card that was still under warranty.

That's my two cents, don't go with Asus because they don't have customer support plus they take days to reply to emails or just ignore you.

----------

You'd be better off getting an Asus Zenbook if you want a Windows laptop that feels almost like a MBA, minus the backlit keyboard.

But if you ever have a problem with the Asus Zenbook forget about sending it back because their customer support couldn't give a toss.

Kendo what about installing VirtualBox on your Macbook Air?

pesos
Mar 17, 2012, 08:39 PM
1366x768 nuff said. Too bad too, otherwise a decent machine. Sticking to the air for now.

jterp7
Mar 17, 2012, 09:17 PM
1366x768 nuff said. Too bad too, otherwise a decent machine. Sticking to the air for now.

yeah, right now the asus is the only pc that's worth talking about in the same sentence. The next gen is a worthy option especially with dedicated graphics plus 1080p IPS.

entatlrg
Mar 18, 2012, 12:32 AM
It's a poorly done, cheap knock off of the MacBook Air.

Really, the Air has been out three years or more? And this is the best competitors can do three years later, even when they had a working prototype to go by, LOL.

Nope, no innovating on Dell's behalf there, a few years of reverse engineering and mold making at best, what a joke.

If you see the XPS TV commercial at first glance you'd think it's for sure a MacBook Air.

Dell and most other companies should of been innovating designing their own thin and lights ... instead they all sit back and wait for Apple to innovate and a few years later out comes cheap, low quality copies. Pathetic isn't it.

Never buy the knock offs ... they always suck.

Riker88
Mar 18, 2012, 08:15 AM
I think you guys have missed one of the main selling points of this Dell. They have managed to minimise the screen bevel meaning that they have managed to fit in a 13 inch screen to a 11 inch chasis. I bought a MBA 11inch for portability but would be tempted to switch to the XPS if it means that I can have a 13inch screen for the same size as my MBA 11inch (I run OSX and Win 7).

Geekbabe
Mar 18, 2012, 10:42 AM
I'm most interested in getting my hands on one of the upcoming Ivy Bridge Zenbooks from Asus, the specs are drool worthy according to what I read over at the Verge. It will be interesting to see what product Apple responds with.

pgiguere1
Mar 18, 2012, 12:11 PM
I think you guys have missed one of the main selling points of this Dell. They have managed to minimise the screen bevel meaning that they have managed to fit in a 13 inch screen to a 11 inch chasis. I bought a MBA 11inch for portability but would be tempted to switch to the XPS if it means that I can have a 13inch screen for the same size as my MBA 11inch (I run OSX and Win 7).

That's pretty much BS. Look at The Verge's review (http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/6/2848346/dell-xps-13-review). Its dimensions are actually closer to the 13.3" MBA than the 11.6" MBA. More like "A 13 inch screen in a 12.5" laptop chassis". Also, its thickness make it heavier than the 13" MBA, and IMO the weight is what matters the most once it's in your backpack.

Kendo
Apr 30, 2012, 03:25 PM
I finally got to test drive one of these bad boys at Best Buy today and I learned never to judge a product via pictures or specs on paper. My enthusiasm from my original post is not quite as high anymore. The build quality feels cheap, it feels heavy compared to a MacBook Air (they weigh the same but since the Dell is smaller, it feels heavier since it is heavier per square inch), and it is noticeably fatter.

I was pretty pumped when I first researched the laptop but my excitement has waned. The MBA truly has no equal.

calvol
Apr 30, 2012, 06:41 PM
I never could figure out why the PC laptops can't get the touchpad right. It's like touchpad development is not coordinated between the ALPS and Synoptics development teams and the Win7 dev teams. Apple is light-years ahead.

aristobrat
Apr 30, 2012, 06:59 PM
Couldn't have said it better about the trackpad.

It amazes me how many of my coworkers disable the Dell trackpads completely and use that pointy stick thing in the keyboard because it's less irritating. :eek:

soupcxan
Apr 30, 2012, 07:39 PM
I like everything about it except the cheap-ass 1366x768 display. That is totally unacceptable for a "premium" product in 2012. And I hate 16:9 ratio displays as well.

Medic278
Apr 30, 2012, 11:36 PM
The dell xps actually seems like a decent machine. Me personally I prefer my MBA over a dell as I have heard bad things about dell. That being said Dell seems to have hit it on the head with the xps series and they generally get good reviews.

underblu
May 2, 2012, 04:37 PM
I would buy another MBA and just use it as a dedicated Windows machine.

The Dell isn't bad but it still falls slightly short of the MBA and the price difference is small between it and the air.

I'm a long time windows user and I actually like XP it's efficient relatively spartan OS and frankly it's all about the application. PS on my windows desktop looks pretty similar to PS on my MBP. Other than the terrible virus problem that afflicts windows machines I'm fine with either OS

With that said, I won't buy a windows laptop until they provide a design that is as elegant and functional as a Macbook Pro or Air and has similar levels of performance and utility.

The Macbook Air is the pinnacle of ultra books. I hope HP Dell and some of the other laptop makers catch up. It's like with few exceptions Windows laptops are stuck in the 90s with these heavy, bulky, plasticy low battery life clunkers. Billion dollar computer companies and they can't hire a design department capable of innovative designs. Amazing.

Sorry I've been ranting.

Yeah if you absolutely need Windows I'd go for the Dell you mentioned or the 14" envy which seems to have a bit less portability but a lot more performance.

Nova Sensei
May 2, 2012, 06:22 PM
The new Zenbook's look like the best alternative on the horizon.

But I'm willing to bet Apple will give another impressive bump to the MBA just to demoralize the opposition. Competing with Apple is like playing poker against someone with 10 times more money. They can just slowly strangle you.

polee
May 3, 2012, 02:03 AM
I finally got to test drive one of these bad boys at Best Buy today and I learned never to judge a product via pictures or specs on paper. My enthusiasm from my original post is not quite as high anymore. The build quality feels cheap, it feels heavy compared to a MacBook Air (they weigh the same but since the Dell is smaller, it feels heavier since it is heavier per square inch), and it is noticeably fatter.

I was pretty pumped when I first researched the laptop but my excitement has waned. The MBA truly has no equal.

Pictures can be very deceiving. Look at those beautiful and glossy pictures of most notebook brochures. However, you are face to face with one, reality sinks it and nothing can compare to the build and design of a macbook and macbook air. Really, most of the notebooks I have seen are clunky, plasticky and just carelessly put together. It is very disheartening... to the point of embarassment.

Ishmumrhmn
May 3, 2012, 02:30 AM
I love my MacBook Air and one of the biggest challenges is finding a Windows laptop that has the beauty and design of an Apple computer. I honestly haven't been able to find a viable alternative although the HP Envy 15 came "somewhat" close (if MBP is a 10, I consider an Envy a 7). The reason why I need a Windows laptop is because of work reasons. I could install Windows on my MacBook Air but don't want to sacrifice space and also find it a pain to use hotkeys for certain Windows keys that I need on a regular basis like Pause Break.

I don't know how I never even heard of the Dell XPS 13 but today is the first time I even knew it existed. It looks similar to a MacBook Air but has carbon fiber underneath as opposed to being an all aluminum construction. What are everyone's thoughts on this laptop? I'm thinking I finally found a suitable Windows laptop to hang with my MBA. The only thing I will miss is the fact that no company can mimic Apple's absolute perfection of a trackpad. Scrolling in OS X is an absolute joy and I'm sad I can't get that experience on Windows 7.

Price-wise a 128GB model goes for $1000 while a 256GB model goes for $1300 so I'm definitely like that.

http://www.dell.com/html/global/xps13/xps-13-ultrabook.html?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&redirect=1

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57386936-1/dell-xps-13-review-is-this-the-ultrabook-youve-been-waiting-for/

I am standing in front of an XPS 13, Acer 3830TG and a new MBA right now. The dell looks OK compared to the MBA, like 7.5/10 while MBA is a 10/10.

Then there's tge Acer Timeline X 3830TG-6415.
Doesn't look like ANYTHING close to an MBA but much better IMO. Design+Build quality is 9.5/10 and is loaded with a massive amount of power that kills the MBA

Matthew9559
May 6, 2012, 05:08 PM
I was looking into purchasing the Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook and I actually held off on my MBA purchase until it came out and users had their own reviews. Unfortunately, every Windows ultrabook I have read reviews and forums about has something about it that made it not quite as good as a MBA. For most of them, lack of a backlight keyboard. Others, terrible keyboards and touchpads that were beyond horrible with numerous driver issues.

For the XPS 13, it's mainly the fan. It always kicks on, even with little to nothing on the laptop running, and sounds like a lawn mower. I know first hand with the MBA that the fan kicks on rarely and when it does it is because I am watching flash videos or playing a game. Otherwise, it never turns on even with multiple tabs, iTunes, Mail, iCal, Evernote, Xcode, Sparrow, and a few other apps open. Notebookreviews.com forums are a great place to learn the in's and out's of laptops from users like us (tech nerds). I haven't checked the forum for a month or so but the fan issue was still very prevalent and even though a Dell rep was being active and working with users, no fix was ironed out even after 3 BIOS updates were built specifically to try and fix the issue.

I would love to get a Windows ultrabook but none have been quite as good quality wise as a MBA and most reviews would agree.

EDIT: Before the XPS 13 came out, I was really thinking that this would finally be the ultrabook that could compete with the MBA. I was all but sold but then when I read the forums, it did not seem like a good fit and most of the customers in the thread were so annoyed with fan noise (especially since it was always on) that they just returned it. Most all of them had a Dell tech come over and replace parts, or the entire laptop, only to get the same results. Lame.

clairefu
May 30, 2012, 04:24 AM
You will get the longest inspiron 1525 battery (http://www.canada-battery.ca/laptop-batteries/dell-inspiron-1525.htm) life out of a Dell Precision or Latitude. Theoretically you can somewhere to the tune of 19 hours of life with a 9 cell standard dell inspiron 1525 battery replacement (http://www.canada-battery.ca/laptop-batteries/dell-inspiron-1525.htm), a secondary dell inspiron 1525 battery (http://www.canada-battery.ca/laptop-batteries/dell-inspiron-1525.htm) in the optical drive bay, and the 12-cell battery slice that attaches to the bottom.