PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Moderators on this forum?

tonie
Apr 27, 2012, 11:32 AM
Where are all the moderators? This forum seriously need to promote some moderators because there are scammers and spammers everywhere even after reported.

mobilehaathi
Apr 27, 2012, 11:33 AM
Perhaps you underestimate just how many are deleted before you even see them.

GGJstudios
Apr 27, 2012, 11:33 AM
Where are all the moderators? This forum seriously need to promote some moderators because there are scammers and spammers everywhere even after reported.
Moderators are not always online, or they are online and busy with other moderation tasks. If you report a post, they will address it as soon as they're able. It may take some time, but they will get to it.

kpgh554
Apr 29, 2012, 06:49 PM

i think the moderators are doing a wonderful job here unlike some sites i've been on. stop knocking them if see anything iffy then report it.

Mac'nCheese
Apr 29, 2012, 06:56 PM

Right. Behind. You.

rei101
Apr 30, 2012, 08:59 AM

They are way too many I would say. Do not worry, they will show up.

SandboxGeneral
Apr 30, 2012, 09:06 AM
They are way too many I would say. Do not worry, they will show up.

Too many? There are 11 admins and 21 moderators (http://forums.macrumors.com/showgroups.php). Currently there are 601,819 registered users. That means there is 1 person (admin or mod) for every 18,806.84 users

Too many, I disagree.

maflynn
Apr 30, 2012, 09:08 AM
There are a number of moderators and administrators online at any given time.

The following link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showgroups.php)shows who they are and if they're online

If you see spam, or other rule violations then please report them. With over 10,000 posts daily its impossible for the moderators to review each and every post. We rely on the the members to be active in help us out :)

Macman45
Apr 30, 2012, 09:09 AM
Considering the amount of traffic this site attracts, and also taking into consideration the time zones etc. The Moderators here do a good job...If anybody thinks it's an easy job then think again...I speak from personal experience....(Awaits the usual flood of pointless down voting)

-aggie-
Apr 30, 2012, 09:09 AM
Too many? There are 11 admins and 21 moderators (http://forums.macrumors.com/showgroups.php). Currently there are 601,819 registered users. That means between the admins and mods, they have to watch over 18,806.84 users each.

Too many, I disagree.

Many of those registered users have either left the site long ago or never even posted after making their account. You'd need to figure out who the users are that have been on the site in the last year or so to get a more accurate number.

SandboxGeneral
Apr 30, 2012, 09:11 AM
Many of those registered users have either left the site long ago or never even posted after making their account. You'd need to figure out who the users are that have been on the site in the last year or so to get a more accurate number.

Yep, I know. Since I don't have those numbers, I used the phrase registered users, instead of active users. :)

GGJstudios
Apr 30, 2012, 09:12 AM
120,769 whose last post is within the last year.

rdowns
Apr 30, 2012, 09:17 AM
Too many? There are 11 admins and 21 moderators (http://forums.macrumors.com/showgroups.php). Currently there are 601,819 registered users. That means there is 1 person (admin or mod) for every 18,806.84 users

Too many, I disagree.

And how many of those users are active? Thousands, maybe tens of thousands never even posted once.

Moderating here is not good for ones longevity at the site. Many mods burn out and disappear within a year of being made a mod. Of the current list of mods, I havene't seen half of them online recently.

-aggie-
Apr 30, 2012, 09:21 AM
120,769 whose last post is within the last year.

Well, I did say "or so." I'd say an accurate number daily is around 20K.

GGJstudios
Apr 30, 2012, 09:26 AM
Well, I did say "or so." I'd say an accurate number daily is around 20K.
18,372 posted within the past month
7,316 posted within the past week
2,126 posted yesterday

But of course it varies greatly from time to time.

MacDawg
Apr 30, 2012, 09:28 AM
I'm here, whatcha need? :)

SilentPanda
Apr 30, 2012, 10:01 AM

Do you have a more specific complaint? Something that can be looked into?

MacNut
Apr 30, 2012, 11:05 AM
There are a number of moderators and administrators online at any given time.

The following link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showgroups.php)shows who they are and if they're onlineThe problem is a lot of them hide and never show up as being online.

Macman45
Apr 30, 2012, 12:04 PM
The problem is a lot of them hide and never show up as being online.

Moderating a web forum AND being an active poster is a fine balance...In short a hiding to nothing. For two years I moderated a Windows tech. forum, and found that my active participation dropped down a lot. It's required in many respects....I found it a tough job, and anybody who has done it will know what I mean.

More Moderators? How many here would stick up their hands I wonder? A bed of roses it's not I assure you. If you think the job isn't being done properly, take a look at some of the other forums....One in particular springs to mind, but I won't post it here. It has an almost 50% to 50% ratio of Moderators to members. Result? A dry, boring site which is also moderated in real time by Vbulletin....Type Hell, and you get ****....Try it if you do not believe me. The moderators here do a good job, but you can't be evywhere all of the time..Rant over.

maflynn
Apr 30, 2012, 12:08 PM
The problem is a lot of them hide and never show up as being online.

Some go to invisible mode so they can post and not moderate. Moderators are a volunteer staff, who also like to interact with the forum. So while there are some who "hide" There's usually a number of us who are active online at any given time.

tonie
Apr 30, 2012, 12:49 PM
I don't know what forums you guys visited but most of the ones I go to are pretty strict and well monitor. I have reported many spams and scammers but none or most are not taken care of. I understand it's a volunteer job but if you're going to do it then do it right.

problems could be?

1. perhaps only a few moderators care and some don't give a crap
2. not enough man power

Macman45
Apr 30, 2012, 12:54 PM
I don't know what forums you guys visited but most of the ones I go to are pretty strict and well monitor. I have reported many spams and scammers but none or most are not taken care of. I understand it's a volunteer job but if you're going to do it then do it right.

problems could be?

1. perhaps only a few moderators care and some don't give a crap
2. not enough man power

How constructive. I have reported many spam postings...especially in the early hours of the morning UK time. They have all been dealt with in five minutes or less. Other issues of more concern have also been dealt with quickly and efficiently. I don't know which postings you refer to, but if you take the trouble to report them, they will be dealt with. criticising for the sake of it is hardly a useful addition to the debate.

maflynn
Apr 30, 2012, 12:55 PM
I can say that every post that is reported is reviewed by the moderation team, if you see a post that is spam and nothing is done, then ask the question by way of the contact us form.

We don't discuss moderation actions, due to our privacy rules but the admins can answer some of your questions.

I will say that we get a lot of reported posts marked as spam when a software developer starts a thread in the application forums. Some members don't realize that developers can promote their apps, provided they follow the guidelines as documented in the rules.

tonie
Apr 30, 2012, 12:56 PM
How constructive. I have reported many spam postings...especially in the early hours of the morning UK time. They have all been dealt with in five minutes or less. Other issues of more concern have also been dealt with quickly and efficiently. I don't know which postings you refer to, but if you take the trouble to report them, they will be dealt with. criticising for the sake of it is hardly a useful addition to the debate.

I'm sorry if what i said is not what you observed and thanks for your sarcasm.

GGJstudios
Apr 30, 2012, 12:57 PM
I have reported many spams and scammers but none or most are not taken care of.
It may be that what you label as "spam" or "scammer" isn't really the case. If there is true spam and you report it, it is handled by the moderation team. If you're calling something spam that isn't, that's another matter. Care to post an example?

r.j.s
Apr 30, 2012, 12:57 PM

How about some links to spam still around the forum?

Note: Developers are allowed to promote their apps in the appropriate section - so if you've been reporting app threads in the iPhone and iPod Touch Apps or Mac Applications forums, nothing has happened because they are allowed to be there.

tonie
Apr 30, 2012, 01:02 PM
This is not a spammer but this one I think the Mod should step in and rectify the situation.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1352442

I'm wondering how are the moderators here monitor each section? Are you assigned to each section? If not I think that's an idea you guys should look into. I see there are many threads where members are insulted each other and nothing was done.

r.j.s
Apr 30, 2012, 01:11 PM
I'm wondering how are the moderators here monitor each section? Are you assigned to each section? If not I think that's an idea you guys should look into. I see there are many threads where members are insulted each other and nothing was done.

We monitor through what we see and post reports, but we cannot see every post made.

Assigning mods to separate sections would not work well, it has been discussed but the downsides outweigh the benefits.

If you see insults, you should report them.

----------

This is not a spammer but this one I think the Mod should step in and rectify the situation.

I don't know the details of that thread, but generally, there isn't much we can really do:

Marketplace rules
MacRumors does not and cannot evaluate sales, items, sellers, buyers, or prices. These rules are intended to maintain order and to assist, rather than impede, personal sales and trades among forum members, but cannot ensure that every offer is legitimate or fairly priced. MacRumors is not responsible for the actions of forum members in carrying out the terms of sales, purchases, and trades.

tonie
Apr 30, 2012, 01:11 PM
We monitor through what we see and post reports, but we cannot see every post made.

Assigning mods to separate sections would not work well, it has been discussed but the downsides outweigh the benefits.

If you see insults, you should report them.

I'm just wondering why it wouldn't work well? Pick moderators that are most involve/active in that section and assign them there. Can't have moderators to monitor sections that they don't often visit/no interested.

I understand MR is not responsible for members actions but least you can do is ban the bad traders/scammers.

OllyW
Apr 30, 2012, 01:12 PM
I've done a quick search of the posts you've reported and haven't managed to find one which hasn't been dealt with yet.

What time period are you talking about?

The last week, last month, last year?

Macman45
Apr 30, 2012, 01:14 PM

It's in the right section, what can you expect the Mods to do? Under existing rules it's legitimate. Of more interest are spam postings appearing in the middle of legitimate discussions...I had this happen this morning, I reported it, and the offending advertising was removed allowing the discussion to continue. Moderators can only apply the rules, they don't make them.

r.j.s
Apr 30, 2012, 01:15 PM
I'm just wondering why it wouldn't work well? Pick moderators that are most involve/active in that section and assign them there. Can't have moderators to monitor sections that they don't often visit/no interested.

It's far more complicated than that. Do users only post in one section? No, so why should mods be limited to one section?

The subsections of the forum are still part of the same forum, and since members post across the entire board, then mods need to be handle issues across the entire board.

tonie
Apr 30, 2012, 01:15 PM
I've done a quick search of the posts you've reported and haven't managed to find one which hasn't been dealt with yet.

What time period are you talking about?

The last week, last month, last year?

I don't recall but I have reported some and I still see them days later so I'm assumed they weren't taken care of so I just stop reporting them.

-aggie-
Apr 30, 2012, 01:16 PM
I'm sorry if what i said is not what you observed and thanks for your sarcasm.

He wasn't being sarcastic. The fact is, most spam gets deleted before most people can even open the posts. Your link wasn't spam, since it's in the marketplace. Perhaps it is abuse of the marketplace, but that's not spam.

BTW, GGJstudios posts are not spam.:) I just wanted to clear that up, if anyone wondered, since he has a lot of links usually.

r.j.s
Apr 30, 2012, 01:16 PM
I don't recall but I have reported some and I still see them days later so I'm assumed they weren't taken care of so I just stop reporting them.

Do you give us permission to discuss EXACT details of your reports to clarify somethings?

tonie
Apr 30, 2012, 01:18 PM
It's far more complicated than that. Do users only post in one section? No, so why should mods be limited to one section?

The subsections of the forum are still part of the same forum, and since members post across the entire board, then mods need to be handle issues across the entire board.

I'm not saying mods should be limited but don't you think it would be better if there are mods monitor that specific section/s if they are involved so much in that section? again, they can also monitor other sections.

Do you give us permission to discuss EXACT details of your reports to clarify somethings?

Sure... PM me?

GGJstudios
Apr 30, 2012, 01:18 PM
You might try tracking it for a while. When you report a post, bookmark it. Then go back and look at your bookmarks a day later and see if all of them have been addressed. I find that the only times a post isn't "dealt with" is when the moderation team disagrees with my assessment that a post is in violation of a forum rule. When there's a clear violation, the mods always deal with it as soon as possible.

r.j.s
Apr 30, 2012, 01:20 PM
I'm not saying mods should be limited but don't you think it would be better if there are mods monitor that specific section/s if they are involved so much in that section? again, they can also monitor other sections.

After discussing it in great detail, covering all the quirks and possibilites: No.

You might try tracking it for a while. When you report a post, bookmark it. Then go back and look at your bookmarks a day later and see if all of them have been addressed. I find that the only times a post isn't "dealt with" is when the moderation team disagrees with my assessment that a post is in violation of a forum rule. When there's a clear violation, the mods always deal with it as soon as possible.

It's ok, we got it from here. ;)

maril1111
Apr 30, 2012, 01:23 PM

This is where its handy to report it yourself and it does get taken care off, it has happened everytime i have done it so far in case the claim was valid and was done to me as-well.

Macman45
Apr 30, 2012, 01:26 PM
Off topic, but I can't resist...I've never seen so many Moderators appear in one thread....Is this a record..?:D

-aggie-
Apr 30, 2012, 01:30 PM
Off topic, but I can't resist...I've never seen so many Moderators appear in one thread....Is this a record..?:D

It's because r.j.s. is here and has threatened them with his guns.:)

r.j.s
Apr 30, 2012, 01:39 PM
It's because r.j.s. is here and has threatened them with his guns.:)

I did no such thing. :p

OP, are you satisfied?

rdowns
Apr 30, 2012, 01:42 PM

Wow, you really do that? Just make this guy a moderator already.

GGJstudios
Apr 30, 2012, 01:44 PM
Wow, you really do that? Just make this guy a moderator already.
It was a suggestion for the OP, who thinks that reported posts are not handled by moderators. I know that they are handled, so I don't need to do that.

Macman45
Apr 30, 2012, 01:46 PM
It was a suggestion for the OP, who thinks that reported posts are not handled by moderators. I know that they are handled, so I don't need to do that.

Amen to that.

tonie
Apr 30, 2012, 01:55 PM
I did no such thing. :p

OP, are you satisfied?

Sure :)

Cheffy Dave
Apr 30, 2012, 04:22 PM
Moderators are not always online, or they are online and busy with other moderation tasks. If you report a post, they will address it as soon as they're able. It may take some time, but they will get to it.

Make GGJ a Mod, he is straight up decent, and would be a definite asset;)

GGJstudios
Apr 30, 2012, 04:25 PM
Make GGJ a Mod, he is straight up decent, and would be a definite asset;)
That's very kind of you to say, but I have no interest in being a moderator.

balamw
May 1, 2012, 05:36 AM

You rang?

B

robbieduncan
May 1, 2012, 05:48 AM
Just to see if we can get a complete set in one thread...

carefreecork
May 1, 2012, 06:13 AM
As a relative newbie to this forum and a number of years spent as an Admin on a UK Football (Soccer) forum, I can happily state, considering the amount of members on Mac Rumors, that the Admins and Mods here do a cracking job. It is a thankless and tough role to play. I agree that Mods should operate globally across the whole forum - it makes no practicable sense to give individual sections to individual moderators. For any forum to be moderated correctly it is by the members reporting infractions. I am one member who finds this forum a pleasant place to visit - even the more livelier and verbal sections!

SumoHamster
May 1, 2012, 08:24 AM

It almost seems like I've seen this many in one thread recently.. I can't recall where though... ;)

Macman45
May 1, 2012, 08:31 AM
It almost seems like I've seen this many in one thread recently.. I can't recall where though... ;)

He he....I think it might have been around iPad release time...:D

rdowns
May 1, 2012, 09:10 AM

Quite amazing how mods you haven't seen for weeks or months seem to appear whenever a thread criticizing the mods appear. :D

Hastings101
May 1, 2012, 09:32 AM

You're right, MacRumors is falling apart. I think it's time we had a moderator that was responsible and dedicated to the job. I'm obviously the best choice.

Hastings101 2012!

pivo6
May 1, 2012, 09:47 AM
You're right, MacRumors is falling apart. I think it's time we had a moderator that was responsible and dedicated to the job. I'm obviously the best choice.

Hastings101 2012!

Can you use the word niggardly in a sentence?

Link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1275884&highlight=niggardly)

Hastings101
May 1, 2012, 09:59 AM

Well it's not that I can't use the word "niggardly" in a sentence it's just that I would choose to use an alternative word to that word. There are other ways to accomplish a sentence with that word without using that specific word by using words similar to it.

Hopefully that answers your question. I assume I've got your vote?

Hastings101 2012!

-aggie-
May 1, 2012, 10:01 AM

Interesting thread, to say the least.

----------

Well it's not that I can't use the word "niggardly" in a sentence it's just that I would choose to use an alternative word to that word. There are other ways to accomplish a sentence with that word without using that specific word by using words similar to it.

Hopefully that answers your question. I assume I've got your vote?

Hastings101 2012!

Yes, I vote to ban you. :D

Hastings101
May 1, 2012, 10:11 AM
Interesting thread, to say the least.

----------

Yes, I vote to ban you. :D

aww, meanie :(

Comeagain?
May 1, 2012, 10:25 AM

Don't get him started...

maril1111
May 1, 2012, 12:07 PM

Sorry couldn't resist :P

Swog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b79FTeeEemk)

tonie
Aug 21, 2013, 12:47 PM
After years, the moderators here are still horrible.

GGJstudios
Aug 21, 2013, 01:00 PM
Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that the moderators on this forum are excellent. They do a terrific job, despite the fact that they are human like the rest of us, and can make mistakes from time to time. Considering the volume of users and activity on this site, combined with some of the negative attitudes on the part of some members, I'm amazed that they continue fulfilling their moderation responsibilities, rather than just giving up and walking away.

Shrink
Aug 21, 2013, 01:09 PM
Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that the moderators on this forum are excellent. They do a terrific job, despite the fact that they are human like the rest of us, and can make mistakes from time to time. Considering the volume of users and activity on this site, combined with some of the negative attitudes on the part of some members, I'm amazed that they continue fulfilling their moderation responsibilities, rather than just giving up and walking away.

I agree with GGJ above...it's a thankless job, and one that keeps this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

To tonie...what is it about about the Moderators here that makes them horrible?

Sodner
Aug 21, 2013, 01:17 PM
Where are the Moderators on this forum?

At home I would assume. Where are you?

;)

I've had my hand slapped several times but have yet to be banned so I can't complain.

ucfgrad93
Aug 21, 2013, 03:25 PM

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific as to why the moderators are so horrible.

For the most part, I find this site to be well moderated.

liquidh2o
Aug 21, 2013, 04:50 PM
Out of the forums i visit/have visited through the years, this is definitely one of the best in terms of moderator involvement. What surprises me most is how long some of the moderators have been here, its been my experience that the job can often times be very time consuming while also being completely thankless. Glad to see so many mods that have been here for a good length of time, I'm sure it helps to have that kind of continuity.

Plutonius
Aug 21, 2013, 06:02 PM

Well, you are not supposed to feed them after midnight :D.

Actually, they do a great job seeing how much work they have to do. I bet they aren't even paid.

SandboxGeneral
Aug 21, 2013, 08:32 PM

I'm sorry you feel that way. We are volunteers, unpaid, and freely dedicate our personal time to helping make the forum a pleasant and enjoyable experience for as many people as possible.

robbieduncan
Aug 22, 2013, 02:28 AM

I echo what SandboxGeneral says above (and thanks to the posters who spoke up for us). Whilst I have no doubt that you will take this as more moderator horribleness could you try and help us improve? Instead of simply saying "we are horrible" demonstrate in what way we are horrible. Suggest improvements. And remember we only enforce the site rules: if you don't like the rules that's a whole different argument.

Kissaragi
Aug 22, 2013, 07:13 AM

Maybe its you thats more of the problem?

Mac'nCheese
Aug 22, 2013, 09:48 AM
I agree with GGJ above...it's a thankless job, and one that keeps this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

To tonie...what is it about about the Moderators here that makes them horrible?

You can't really say because discussing specific moderation is against the rules.

Shrink
Aug 22, 2013, 10:00 AM
You can't really say because discussing specific moderation is against the rules.

You are, of corse, right about that.

However, that suggests that opinion expressed relates to a particular member's personal experience (which cannot be discussed, except under particular circumstances). It leads me to question whether the issue is the general level of Moderation on the Forum, or the possibly negative experience of an individual which shouldn't be generalized to all the moderation on the Forum.

GoCubsGo
Aug 22, 2013, 10:08 AM

This would hold so much more weight if you actually provided some details.
To your original complaints, I see less spam and scams being ran on this site than many others I frequent. Spam posts are generally nailed before I even get to click and reply with something snarky.

Mac'nCheese
Aug 22, 2013, 11:27 AM
You are, of corse, right about that.

However, that suggests that opinion expressed relates to a particular member's personal experience (which cannot be discussed, except under particular circumstances). It leads me to question whether the issue is the general level of Moderation on the Forum, or the possibly negative experience of an individual which shouldn't be generalized to all the moderation on the Forum.

True. What's bad moderation to some is perfectly acceptable to others. I've been toed and warned; looking back, I've deserved some and some were, to me, beyond ridiculous. The banning of a certainlong time member (I know the details through shared messages) was way too harsh for me. I guess you can say though that the combined negative experiences of many members do equal bad moderation as long as its truly negative experiences and not just sour grapes. ;)

ucfgrad93
Aug 22, 2013, 12:30 PM
This would hold so much more weight if you actually provided some details.
To your original complaints, I see less spam and scams being ran on this site than many others I frequent. Spam posts are generally nailed before I even get to click and reply with something snarky.

Agreed. When I report spam, it is generally taken care of pretty fast. At least things aren't so bad here that they are eliminating anonymous commenting like Huff Po is doing.

GermanyChris
Aug 23, 2013, 06:50 AM
True. What's bad moderation to some is perfectly acceptable to others. I've been toed and warned; looking back, I've deserved some and some were, to me, beyond ridiculous. The banning of a certainlong time member (I know the details through shared messages) was way too harsh for me. I guess you can say though that the combined negative experiences of many members do equal bad moderation as long as its truly negative experiences and not just sour grapes. ;)

I don't know the details of that one but I question it too

tonie
Aug 23, 2013, 12:25 PM
There was a scam case in the FS forum and couple members including myself had reported to the mod and they didn't take action until a month and a half later. People been doing auction in the for sale forum and the moderators don't seem to care. If you are going to take upon the moderator title then you should put some effort in patrolling the forums. Just because it's volunteer doesn't mean you should slack off. If you feel like you can't patrol the forums then don't accept the position, simple as that.

roadbloc
Aug 23, 2013, 01:16 PM

In hiding. Waiting to stealthily wield the ban-hammer when the time is right.

thekingofnerds
Aug 23, 2013, 06:19 PM
In hiding. Waiting to stealthily wield the ban-hammer when the time is right.

All the moderators are part-time thor-inspired ninjas :D

annk
Aug 24, 2013, 02:33 AM
There was a scam case in the FS forum and couple members including myself had reported to the mod and they didn't take action until a month and a half later. People been doing auction in the for sale forum and the moderators don't seem to care. If you are going to take upon the moderator title then you should put some effort in patrolling the forums. Just because it's volunteer doesn't mean you should slack off. If you feel like you can't patrol the forums then don't accept the position, simple as that.

Any accusations of scams or Marketplace deals gone bad involve a lot of investigation on our part, which takes time. We don't moderate based on serious accusations such as this type without really looking into it, and that can't be done immediately. What appears to you to be "not acting" actually involves quite a bit of action.

Even though the Forum Rules specify that members make deals at their own risk, we do what we can to help clear up the mess when a deal goes wrong (and they are often cleared up). These cases are time-consuming, there's no way around that.

MacRumors does not and cannot evaluate sales, items, sellers, buyers, or prices. These rules are intended to maintain order and to assist, rather than impede, personal sales and trades among forum members, but cannot ensure that every offer is legitimate or fairly priced. MacRumors is not responsible for the actions of forum members in carrying out the terms of sales, purchases, and trades.

So I'd say the enormous amount of time these cases tend to take, time which we do spend despite the disclaimer I've quoted above, and time that takes away from dealing with other forum business, could hardly be called "slacking".

But you are of course free to use other sites for your buying/selling needs. That's not the focus of MR, something that's also clearly stated in the rules.

There are other websites more specifically devoted to buying, selling, and trading computer equipment, and to tracking buyer/seller reputations. The reason we have our own Marketplace is that it provides more focus on Apple products and is convenient for members who have had opportunities to learn to know each other.

tonie
Feb 20, 2014, 01:09 PM
Any accusations of scams or Marketplace deals gone bad involve a lot of investigation on our part, which takes time. We don't moderate based on serious accusations such as this type without really looking into it, and that can't be done immediately. What appears to you to be "not acting" actually involves quite a bit of action.

Even though the Forum Rules specify that members make deals at their own risk, we do what we can to help clear up the mess when a deal goes wrong (and they are often cleared up). These cases are time-consuming, there's no way around that.

So I'd say the enormous amount of time these cases tend to take, time which we do spend despite the disclaimer I've quoted above, and time that takes away from dealing with other forum business, could hardly be called "slacking".

But you are of course free to use other sites for your buying/selling needs. That's not the focus of MR, something that's also clearly stated in the rules.

Really? It seems like excuses to me. When did you ever investigate in a problem here in this forum? There's a scammer roaming freely and you guys don't seem to give a crap about what's going on. If you can't take on the responsibilities then don't volunteer at all. This goes for all the mods. BTW, there seem to be many people complaining about their posts being deleted. If you are deleting their thread at least PM them or state the reason why it's being deleted.

It's funny how you guys act quickly when there's a post about you guys and shy away when there's a problem.

ardchoille42
Feb 20, 2014, 01:38 PM
I'd like to chime in here. I hate spam, hate it I say! I hate it so much that I consider removing spam, and banning the useless spammers, a personal vendetta. I will go waaaay out of my way to report spam and I keep the Forum spy and New Posts pages active in my web browser.

Sometimes it's not as simple as a one touch ban and clean, sometimes further investigation is needed. And, for this investigation period it's sometimes beneficial to wait until the investigation is complete before "pulling the trigger".

I have served in admin and moderator roles on other forums and I feel the admins/mods here are doing a very good job given the amount of traffic this site attracts.

Just my $0.02.

tonie
Feb 20, 2014, 01:55 PM
I'd like to chime in here. I hate spam, hate it I say! I hate it so much that I consider removing spam, and banning the useless spammers, a personal vendetta. I will go waaaay out of my way to report spam and I keep the Forum spy and New Posts pages active in my web browser.

Sometimes it's not as simple as a one touch ban and clean, sometimes further investigation is needed. And, for this investigation period it's sometimes beneficial to wait until the investigation is complete before "pulling the trigger".

I have served in admin and moderator roles on other forums and I feel the admins/mods here are doing a very good job given the amount of traffic this site attracts.

Just my $0.02.

I definitely understand but check this thread out.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1695262

ardchoille42
Feb 20, 2014, 02:51 PM

I tried to read that thread, but was not allowed:
"ardchoille42, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. The Most Common Reason: You have not activated your account by clicking on the link in the email that was sent to you when you reigstered. This must be done to activate your account. If you would like the activation email resent, click here. If you would like to change your email address that you registered with, click here.

2. You might be trying to post in a restricted forum. Users can't create new threads in MacRumors News Discussion forum or other "official" forums. Please find the appropriate forum for your topic and post there. Marketplace and Political forums have a minimum post requirement.

3. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you still don't see a reason, read the FAQ for more details."

I feel these forums shouldn't have these types of limits if users are above 100 or so posts. Not only does it give the appearance of favoritism, but it limits the number of eyes that can catch spammers and bad posts. Maybe more spam could be caught if active reporters like me were allowed to view all posts?

:(

GGJstudios
Feb 20, 2014, 03:12 PM
"[I]ardchoille42, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:..."

I feel these forums shouldn't have these types of limits if users are above 100 or so posts. Not only does it give the appearance of favoritism, but it limits the number of eyes that can catch spammers and bad posts. Maybe more spam could be caught if active reporters like me were allowed to view all posts?
The link that was posted was to a thread in the MacRumors Marketplace, which isn't available to all members.

Marketplace Rules - Mac Guides (http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Marketplace_Rules) Before you can access the Marketplace forum, you need a minimum post count of 250, as displayed in your User Profile, and you must have been a MacRumors member for at least 180 days (about 6 months). If you start a "for sale" thread or make other Marketplace-type posts in another forum to avoid the minimum requirements, your thread/posts will be deleted. This may answer some questions about the policy: Announcement: Major changes for the Marketplace forum (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=497706)

ardchoille42
Feb 20, 2014, 03:19 PM
The link that was posted was to a thread in the MacRumors Marketplace, which isn't available to all members.

Marketplace Rules - Mac Guides (http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Marketplace_Rules) This may answer some questions about the policy: Announcement: Major changes for the Marketplace forum (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=497706)

I understand the reason, though I disagree with it whole-heartedly, but that doesn't change the fact that fewer eyes allowed in any area can mean longer times that spam is allowed to remain - if it's reported at all. Sometimes privileged people tend to feel too "privileged" to do any grunt work.

Shrink
Feb 20, 2014, 03:31 PM
I understand the reason, though I disagree with it whole-heartedly, but that doesn't change the fact that fewer eyes allowed in any area can mean longer times between reports and removals - if they're reported at all. Sometimes privileged people tend to feel too "privileged" to do any grunt work.

Let me suggest that as one of the "privileged", by dint of having run my mouth with some frequency (if not productively, just frequently:p), I have become more and more active in sending Post Reports over time, rather than less active.

Those who have been around for a while, and enjoyed learning and posting on MR, are more likely, IMO, rather than less, to want the Forum to a pleasant, interesting, and civil place to spend time.

Since I cannot back up my opinion with any facts about who are the most likely to help the Moderation team in their difficult task...take my observation for what it is worth.

As far as the Marketplace Rules go...it is my understanding that the idea is to require those posting there to have demonstrated some ongoing interest and commitment, if you will, to the Forum. Do scams occur? I'm sure that they do, on occasion. But the restrictions placed on Marketplace participation are an attempt to ensure, as much as is reasonably possible, that what transpires on that sub forum is honest and aboveboard.

I hope that my disagreement with your position has not given offense...none was intended.:D

ardchoille42
Feb 20, 2014, 03:42 PM
Let me suggest that as one of the "privileged", by dint of having run my mouth with some frequency (if not productively, just frequently:p), I have become more and more active in sending Post Reports over time, rather than less active.

Those who have been around for a while, and enjoyed learning and posting on MR, are more likely, IMO, rather than less, to want the Forum to a pleasant, interesting, and civil place to spend time.

Since I cannot back up my opinion with any facts about who are the most likely to help the Moderation team in their difficult task...take my observation for what it is worth.

As far as the Marketplace Rules go...it is my understanding that the idea is to require those posting there to have demonstrated some ongoing interest and commitment, if you will, to the Forum. Do scams occur? I'm sure that they do, on occasion. But the restrictions placed on Marketplace participation are an attempt to ensure, as much as is reasonably possible, that what transpires on that sub forum is honest and aboveboard.

I hope that my disagreement with your position has not given offense...none was intended.:D

I see no possible way offense could be derived from your post, good points are what I see there and I thank you for your input.

Though I still feel some of the limits in these forums are unnecessarily high.

840quadra
Feb 20, 2014, 03:43 PM
Really? It seems like excuses to me. When did you ever investigate in a problem here in this forum?

Since details of moderation regarding other members is always done in private, neither she, nor anyone on the moderation staff can, nor will answer this question.

There's a scammer roaming freely and you guys don't seem to give a crap about what's going on. If you can't take on the responsibilities then don't volunteer at all. This goes for all the mods. BTW, there seem to be many people complaining about their posts being deleted. If you are deleting their thread at least PM them or state the reason why it's being deleted.

I am really sorry you feel that way about the Moderation and Admin staff on MacRumors. Many of them spend more time on this site putting out fires on here, than they do with their other hobbies or personal interests. Since Moderating isn't a paid position on MacRumors, I personally feel your expectations of the team are unrealistic, and quite frankly, unfair.

As Ann referenced in her post, we do take reports of scams quite seriously, and deal with them as we gather information from people reporting them. Keep in mind that it is quite seldom that a moderator will act alone in such situations, and we rely on corroboration between members of the moderator and admin staff before a decision is made. That does, and will continue to take time as we endeavor to take both sides of the story into consideration before making a decision.

If you have reasonable suggestions on how we can streamline our rules, or the process, please pass them on using Contact us, or this section of the forum.

balamw
Feb 20, 2014, 04:10 PM
fewer eyes allowed in any area can mean longer times that spam is allowed to remain - if it's reported at all.
MOD NOTE: FWIW we're really not concerned with spam in the Marketplace. As cited in the Marketplace Rules and echoed by Shrink, people who earn the right to post in Marketplace generally want to be here and very few spammers will wait 6 months and 250 posts to drop their payload.

We do however monitor the Marketplace for all other violations of the Forum or Marketplace Rules.

When did you ever investigate in a problem here in this forum?
I'm actually more than a bit offended by this, since we mods and admins of this forum are constantly investigating and discussing problems on the forum, and annk is a core member of that team. There's rarely a time when I visit and find no ongoing investigation or controversy in the back rooms.

The discussions and investigations can be asynchronous and take a long time to resolve since we cover many time zones.

B

ardchoille42
Feb 20, 2014, 04:19 PM
MOD NOTE: FWIW we're really not concerned with spam in the Marketplace. As cited in the Marketplace Rules and echoed by Shrink, people who earn the right to post in Marketplace generally want to be here and very few spammers will wait 6 months and 250 posts to drop their payload.

We do however monitor the Marketplace for all other violations of the Forum or Marketplace Rules

Thank you very much, I stand corrected.

tonie
Feb 20, 2014, 06:17 PM
So it has been weeks and I don't understand why JOSE891 still can be actively on this forum. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the guy scammed another member. All it takes is couple of PM's. I understand sometimes it's best to discuss with another mod/s but you guys need to come to your own judgement and conclusion instead of depends on other mods. This is not a waiting game and if you can't judge for yourself then might as well abdicate from your position. Promote more admins/mods if you need to.

Carlanga
Feb 20, 2014, 06:28 PM
Really? It seems like excuses to me. When did you ever investigate in a problem here in this forum? There's a scammer roaming freely and you guys don't seem to give a crap about what's going on. If you can't take on the responsibilities then don't volunteer at all. This goes for all the mods. BTW, there seem to be many people complaining about their posts being deleted. If you are deleting their thread at least PM them or state the reason why it's being deleted.

It's funny how you guys act quickly when there's a post about you guys and shy away when there's a problem.
Welcome to replied to someone from 2013 in your own thread ;)

The member has not been remove because prob it's here one of the few places and pms that the other member can or could use to get it resolved.

"ardchoille42, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. The Most Common Reason: You have not activated your account by clicking on the link in the email that was sent to you when you reigstered. This must be done to activate your account. If you would like the activation email resent, click here. If you would like to change your email address that you registered with, click here.

2. You might be trying to post in a restricted forum. Users can't create new threads in MacRumors News Discussion forum or other "official" forums. Please find the appropriate forum for your topic and post there. Marketplace and Political forums have a minimum post requirement.

3. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you still don't see a reason, read the FAQ for more details."

:(
You are a newb, you can't see the marketplace. If you don't know what is linked don't assume. It's a bad trade that happened.

annk
Feb 21, 2014, 03:59 PM
So it has been weeks and I don't understand why JOSE891 still can be actively on this forum. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the guy scammed another member. All it takes is couple of PM's. I understand sometimes it's best to discuss with another mod/s but you guys need to come to your own judgement and conclusion instead of depends on other mods. This is not a waiting game and if you can't judge for yourself then might as well abdicate from your position. Promote more admins/mods if you need to.

You're bringing up a specific case, and the privacy policy means that you're not going to get any more information about the specifics. Only those directly involved in a dispute are kept abreast of what's happening, and why.

You misunderstand how moderation works. It's not realistic for moderators - or even administrators in most cases - to go rogue, taking action and making decisions alone in complicated situations. Working as a team keeps things as fair and transparent as possible. In addition, we get the benefit of more than one set of eyes on each case. I understand your frustration, but it comes from not knowing details. I know from experience that this sort of thing looks easy until you have to do it.

Reading through your posts in this thread, it sounds like you simply don't believe the answers you're getting. That's your prerogative, but it doesn't really lend itself to any sort of constructive discussion. In the end, either you trust the moderators and administrators to do a good job, or you don't.