Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
since installing 10.8, i've downloaded and installed a number of shareware apps (music app, customization apps).

isn't gatekeeper supposed to show up? or am i missing something...
haven't seen it yet (i have it to allow mac store and 'identified developers').
but seems it would show up on some shareware...?

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
since installing 10.8, i've downloaded and installed a number of shareware apps (music app, customization apps).

They have probably all been signed. Its why there are dev previews. Istat pro is an example of one that has not been signed.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England

Try installing Sneakpeek Pro... Gatekeeper throws up an alert.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Try installing Sneakpeek Pro... Gatekeeper throws up an alert.

installed without nearly a hiccup. not a warning, nothing... :confused:

----------

yikes. changed it to apple store ONLY, and am still able to download apps from ANYWHERE, and install... :eek:

any ideas, anyone?

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
anyone? i have yet to see this work. i've got it on 'mac apple store only' but i can download and open anything i try right now... :eek:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i'd prefer if it worked as advertised...and i chose to turn it off.
just concerned that it does not seem to work at all...

phobox

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007
Actually I noticed the same on my Mountain Lion install (upgrade over lion). I didn't get any alerts about unsigned software. I've not tried it in App Store only mode, I'll do that and see what happens.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Gatekeeper got in the way when I tried to install Soundflower. I turned off Gatekeeper after that. I don't see much point in it anyway.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Gatekeeper got in the way when I tried to install Soundflower. I turned off Gatekeeper after that. I don't see much point in it anyway.

I turned it on to App store downloads only. Yet I was able to download Filezila from their site and launch it.

So, it appears not to be working here either - not that I actually care. lol.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
is ANYONE else not seeing gatekeeper work?
or...anyone with ideas of what might be happening?

:(
How are you obtaining the applications? GateKeeper only works if the app was downloaded with the quarantine flags correctly set; for example, Safari has set these for a while now so that the Finder can display a warning when you attempt to open a newly downloaded application or file, which GateKeeper basically extends to also check for a valid signature.

If you're getting applications from some means that isn't setting these flags then it won't work, also, once the flag is checked it is cleared if you allowed it to run. So if you installed something in Lion, then used the same file in Mountain Lion, then it might not be flagged as being quarantined anymore.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
How are you obtaining the applications? GateKeeper only works if the app was downloaded with the quarantine flags correctly set; for example, Safari has set these for a while now so that the Finder can display a warning when you attempt to open a newly downloaded application or file, which GateKeeper basically extends to also check for a valid signature.

If you're getting applications from some means that isn't setting these flags then it won't work, also, once the flag is checked it is cleared if you allowed it to run. So if you installed something in Lion, then used the same file in Mountain Lion, then it might not be flagged as being quarantined anymore.

just downloading thru safari, places like macupdate. even tried downloading older apps from random sites...the places i'd WANT it running (if, LOL, i wanted it running). tander, glad i'm not alone.

just concerned why it's not working..

thanx all, will torture apple support with this (and report back).

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
figured it out. onyx! i had to uncheck (in general preferences):

"remove the alert message on first opening applications downloaded from the internet".

so now it works, and now, LOL, i can disable it. :D

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
glad i figured this out. but have shut it off anyway. it was telling me an app was damaged and should be moved to trash...even though that app worked fine all year (and certainly since installing 10.8).

:eek: :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.