PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake Paused/Stopped when Air went to Sleep?

bembol
Aug 14, 2012, 07:16 AM
Before I went to work last night, I ran Handbrake.

I just got home and found out it's only 20% completed?!?!

GoCubsGo
Aug 14, 2012, 07:18 AM
What OS? I've never had my mac go to sleep in the middle of handbrake. That is odd but I use a desktop. If you have scheduling assistant set up to sleep at a certain time, I believe that overrides everything else.

maflynn
Aug 14, 2012, 07:19 AM
Well if the MBA went to sleep, the app would stop working.

If I know I'll be doing some processing that will take hours, then I turn off the sleep, just to be safe

Stingray454
Aug 14, 2012, 07:20 AM
If you put your computer to sleep, it will (as the word "sleep" suggests) pause all current apps running. If you want to run something overnight, go into System Preferences -> Energy Saver and change it to never go to sleep when plugged in (display sleep is ok, but not computer sleep). Also, don't close the lid when you leave it, as that automatically sleeps your computer.

twintin
Aug 14, 2012, 07:34 AM
It can also be the other way around where handbrake for unknown reason stopped its work (perhaps due to a failure) and hence after a while of idle your computer went to sleep as it should.

Cuckoo
Aug 14, 2012, 08:42 AM
I've noticed the same thing with my mac mini since i've updated to 10.8...

AlanShutko
Aug 14, 2012, 09:47 AM
Mountain Lion no longer uses disk activity to delay sleep. Instead, it requires apps to make set power management assertions to keep it going.

There's a new command-line utility called "caffeinate" which will run a command and keep the system from sleeping while that happens.

bembol
Aug 14, 2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks. I made the changes and ran it again.