PDA

View Full Version : New iPod-Generation - when do you expect it to be released?

TobyM
Aug 16, 2005, 10:42 AM
sorry in advance...
i know that this is a question which has been asked a hundred times a day here...
but i really need your help guys.

my ipod photo 30gb fell on the floor today and doesnt work anymore... and itīs so sad...i bought it just one month ago.
iīd consider buying a new one with my last money ;) but you know how it is, everybody heard the rumors of a new generation coming soon.

what iīd like to know now is not when the 5gīs will come out (cause i know, nobody knows that)...but how it was in the past: after how many time were generation 2, 3 and 4 released? how long were the previous generations on the market?
as the 4g was released july 2004 and the photo last fall (right?), itīs been about a year without a new generation.

another question: what are the next dates where new generations could be presented?
i heard about the paris expo next month...are there any more dates?

iīll definitely wait for the next generation and would be very happy if it would be the ipod video...but iīll buy it anyways.
it would just be nice to know what you think, definitely more expert than me, when it could maybe be expected.

killuminati
Aug 16, 2005, 11:07 AM
I'm also waiting for the next generation so that I can replace my mini. I'd really like to have it before the start of the school year. I know that there is this Apple Expo in Paris sometimes in September. Maybe it will be released then?

TobyM
Aug 16, 2005, 11:17 AM
many people expect some ipod releases for the paris expo.
i also think that some new ipods will be released there, but maybe "just" minis with color display or some new shuffles.

what iīm waiting for (from today on :( ) is the real 5th generation.

does anybody know some other possible dates where steve could announce the "one more thing"?

also, iīd still like to know after which amount of time the new generations were released in the past. i havent found anything yet about that.

CubaTBird
Aug 16, 2005, 11:33 AM
5th gen... released at mwsf 06' :cool:

GilGrissom
Aug 16, 2005, 12:29 PM
also, iīd still like to know after which amount of time the new generations were released in the past. i havent found anything yet about that.
It's like everything else, no one knows for sure. It depends on how well the current iPod incarnation is doing and how well it is withstanding change and evolution. To be fair the current 4G iPod seems to be doing really well. In order to improve it something very big may have to come out, such as video etc (see other threads!), so I'm not sure when a big enough change will come out for the next iPods to be referred to as 5G. Some resellers are falsly branding the current iPod updates as 5G (the ones with colour screens in all of them now), when Apple has clearly stated its still 4G. I'm not sure what Apple can do to the current 4G iPod to make it better and class it as 5G without adding something big and different.

TobyM
Aug 16, 2005, 12:45 PM
thank you all for your replies so far.
it really seems hard to guess when the 5gīs come out, as ipod videos have been expected over and over again within the last months.

but it would be interesting for me to know how it was in the past, after how many months apple released a new generation, that the 3g was released 12 months after the 2g came out, for example.
just to see whatīs the average time of an ipod generation so far.
iīve been searching the web but didnīt find anything so far.
does anybody here know the release dates of the first 4 generations?

stridey
Aug 16, 2005, 12:46 PM
thank you all for your replies so far.
it really seems hard to guess when the 5gīs come out, as ipod videos have been expected over and over again within the last months.

but it would be interesting for me to know how it was in the past, after how many months apple released a new generation, that the 3g was released 12 months after the 2g came out, for example.
just to see whatīs the average time of an ipod generation so far.
iīve been searching the web but didnīt find anything so far.
does anybody here know the release dates of the first 4 generations?

Check out the Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/) for that information.

the_freddinator
Aug 16, 2005, 12:55 PM
It depends on how well the current iPod incarnation is doing and how well it is withstanding change and evolution. To be fair the current 4G iPod seems to be doing really well. In order to improve it something very big may have to come out, such as video etc (see other threads!)

I've gotta agree w/ Gil on the point that it all depends on how well iPods are doing.
Now, since currently iPods bring in about 1/3 (i believe) of Apple's income, there really is NO point in coming out w/ a new iPod in the near future. Apple may move to iPod VIDEO but that doesn't constitute calling it fifth generation. The trend w/ generations seems to be the overall DESIGN of the iPod, not the SOFTWARE.

At this point in time, seeing how well apple is doing w/ the 4gs, it's safe to assume that a fifth generation iPod will hit stores any time soon but RATHER a Videopod/color minis/shuffles with screens or whatever enhancements you want to give the current iPod line MAY be introduced to FURTHER BOOST or SUSTAIN profit. But there's no point in quitting while you're at the top.

As for a prediction for relative purposes, When MS or Sony or some other tech brand comes out w/ a SUPERIOR (popularity-wise) mp3 player, look forward to a new iPod

TobyM
Aug 16, 2005, 12:59 PM
thanks, thats exactly what i was looking for.

so it is:
07/2002: 2nd gen
04/2003: 3rd gen
07/2004: 4th gen

hope i got that right.

that means a new gen every year until now.
i hope there will be a new gen soon, it will be a very hard time ipod-less...already had a 4g before my photo which got broke today...i think i really got used to it :(

TobyM
Aug 16, 2005, 01:05 PM
As for a prediction for relative purposes, When MS or Sony or some other tech brand comes out w/ a SUPERIOR (popularity-wise) mp3 player, look forward to a new iPod

i thought that we maybe have this situation already, with creatives zen vision which made quite a good impression on me, especially when it comes to playing video, also with a quite nice design. sony seems to have improved too, regarding their latest hd-players.

donīt you think itīs appleīs turn again to react and build in some new features -> come out with a new ipod?
the photo- and color display-feature on the ipod is a year old and standard on almost any hd-colorscreen-player.
sure, nothing sells near as good as the ipod (and maybe never will), but i think itīs time for some innovation.
and not just because iīm waiting for a new ipod because i crashed mine today ;)

jamdr
Aug 16, 2005, 01:15 PM
Wait, what? New iPods were released just a month or so ago. Apple is not going to update them again anytime soon. Maybe the minis will be updated before the end of the year, but not the iPods. Why don't you just buy one now? It seems like the perfect time to me.

killuminati
Aug 16, 2005, 01:19 PM
Wait, what? New iPods were released just a month or so ago.

They didn't release new iPods, they just merged the iPod and the iPod Photo lines.

GilGrissom
Aug 16, 2005, 01:27 PM
They didn't release new iPods, they just merged the iPod and the iPod Photo lines.
Indeed. They could still easily bring out bigger updates.
i thought that we maybe have this situation already, with creatives zen vision which made quite a good impression on me, especially when it comes to playing video, also with a quite nice design. sony seems to have improved too, regarding their latest hd-players.

donīt you think itīs appleīs turn again to react and build in some new features -> come out with a new ipod?
the photo- and color display-feature on the ipod is a year old and standard on almost any hd-colorscreen-player.
sure, nothing sells near as good as the ipod (and maybe never will), but i think itīs time for some innovation.
and not just because iīm waiting for a new ipod because i crashed mine today
Yes you do raise a good point here. I brought my iPod photo the day it came out last year. It's not quite a year old just yet. Maybe they will release newer/better/improved/next gen ones in the November time again when the iPod photo first came out.

Apple has been stringing these, in comparison, "minor" updates/tweaks to the iPod line for a while, it would make sense (and help our cold turkey!) to bring out, as you say, something new and innovative. Personally I hope they do. I would really hope something big comes out the iPod before the year is out. I think the 2 biggest dates (unless anyone wants to throw some more in) for possible iPod updates will be upcoming September in Paris and the November time as last year with the iPod photo.

But as always, you never know with Apple. That's why we love 'em!

the_freddinator
Aug 16, 2005, 01:27 PM

and not just because iīm waiting for a new ipod because i crashed mine today ;)

The reason iPods are selling so well is no huge secret. All the 4g is is a high-capacity mp3 player w/ an ingenious design (<-- that's the seller). You look at the leading competitor (probably the dellpod) and it looks like CRAP. It's got this scrolling button thing in the middle of it which is no step up from anything. then their menu is extremely subpar relative to the iPod menu (it doesn't matter whether or not MS is trying to patent..it means crap). iPods do well becasue they look so freaking good. They're extremely user-friendly (except for when they break) and they came out w/ no competitor to begin w/. pre-iPod 4g, most people were still on CDs
Concerning Color/HD screens: I actually kinda liked the iPod w/out the color screen! I don't need a HIGH DEFINITION SCREEN to LISTEN to my music thank you very much. I'm fine w/out seeing the album art. In fact, sticking an HD screen in to an iPod right now would probably do WORSE than how they're doing right now.
HD+iPod= $$$+maintenance
Face it, HD is going to be more expensive than the LCD screens they have right now. Plus, since High definition viewing is still relatively new, it's VErY high maintenance.
iPods are mainly for MUSIC. If you want to watch shows/slideshows on your iPod, you still won't NEED HD. It's a 2x2" screen, you don't need HD for a 2x2 screen.

GilGrissom
Aug 16, 2005, 01:46 PM
The reason iPods are selling so well is no huge secret. All the 4g is is a high-capacity mp3 player w/ an ingenious design (<-- that's the seller). You look at the leading competitor (probably the dellpod) and it looks like CRAP. It's got this scrolling button thing in the middle of it which is no step up from anything. then their menu is extremely subpar relative to the iPod menu (it doesn't matter whether or not MS is trying to patent..it means crap). iPods do well becasue they look so freaking good. They're extremely user-friendly (except for when they break) and they came out w/ no competitor to begin w/. pre-iPod 4g, most people were still on CDs
Concerning Color/HD screens: I actually kinda liked the iPod w/out the color screen! I don't need a HIGH DEFINITION SCREEN to LISTEN to my music thank you very much. I'm fine w/out seeing the album art. In fact, sticking an HD screen in to an iPod right now would probably do WORSE than how they're doing right now.
HD+iPod= $$$+maintenance
Face it, HD is going to be more expensive than the LCD screens they have right now. Plus, since High definition viewing is still relatively new, it's VErY high maintenance.
iPods are mainly for MUSIC. If you want to watch shows/slideshows on your iPod, you still won't NEED HD. It's a 2x2" screen, you don't need HD for a 2x2 screen.
HD screens in an iPod??? Whooa there tiger! :eek:

I'm still a bit confused on the whole HD screen thing in general and there are quite a few threads about it, but I'm pretty sure you can't get a proper HD screen on an iPod, let alone want one! (**Ducks, anticipating the technical onslaught about HDs!**)

Yes HD is high maintenance and I don't quite think its reached the consumer level of the iPod just yet. Don't want the iPod too complex and, as you say, in for maintenance and repair constantly!

I agree with you about the colour screen saying some people don't need to look at the album art etc, but the main reasons why I like my colour screen so much is:
1. Photo capabilities: I do use it quite a lot
2. Improved interface: (Main point) The colour screen adds an extra sharp experience to using an iPod, even if its the same old navigation and usage you do with the old monochrome iPods, it just feels so much better and more enjoyable with a colour screen. (To me anyway)

I also agree with you about the reasons the 4G is doing so well, the design, interface and usage is simply superb, and why it makes it hard for us all to predict when a new one will come out, despite a yearly trend appearing to those previous dates.

the_freddinator
Aug 16, 2005, 02:08 PM
HD screens in an iPod??? Whooa there tiger!

I'm still a bit confused on the whole HD screen thing in general and there are quite a few threads about it, but I'm pretty sure you can't get a proper HD screen on an iPod, let alone want one!

I'm pretty sure that HD in an iPod is COMPLETELY do-able, looking at the future of mobile computers (roll-out computers w/ completely streaming data). but again, the monitary aspect (on the consumer AND the producer) and the maintenance strikes out HD for a while.

Actually, a thought just struck me.

My prediction for 5g iPod:
taking note of the up-and-coming switch from DVD to HD and blue-whatever it is, I'm thinking that iPods will move in the general direction of the PSP. That is, being able to watch movies, etc. Not only would there be an iTunes MUSIC store, but a MOVIE store, as well.
Think about it:

Apple has already proven that 60 gigabytes of storage in a sardine-case is POSSIBLE. If Apple were to offer MOVIES in a condensed Apple format- or at least an apple encoder for dvds/hds (perfect for viewing on a 2x2 screen), one would not only be able to have 10k songs at their fingertips, but their movie collection on there too! a DVD usually isn't much more than a couple gigs (and that's for Large-screen quality). A small version could probably fit under a gig a piece.

And everyone knows about apple working w/ google recently as well as google investing in Electric Outlet internet. I would'nt be surprised at all if video.google.com would somehow work in to a new 5g iPod fully capable of watching movies. Hell, throw in TV too! if verizon can do it on their phones, why not an iPod!

Damn, I started off reading this post as if nothing substantial would come for a while, but maybe we'll get and iPod w/ streaming video capabilities.

For now, though, I'll just keep dreaming :rolleyes:

zap2
Aug 16, 2005, 02:18 PM
a 5th g , not for a long time cuz the 4.5g juts came out, a new mini ,some time in jan becuz the first mini update look over a year, there is room for a "new iPod" at the 499 and 599 price perhaps a video iPod ( yes i know what Jobs said but!) i could see it , or an iPod that had a new feature and that one thing makes it VERY different from the current iPod, so different that it would have something else in its name with iPod.

TobyM
Aug 16, 2005, 02:22 PM
in my opinion, there are just a little too many rumors in the last time, regarding an upcoming release of new ipods, maybe with video support.
is that "normal", so many rumors about a new ipod release?

the patent thing, which is now including "video", then the rumors about an upcoming video store...you know them all, of course, better than me, i guess. i mean, thats the macrumor-site :)

i donīt accept the last ipod update as an update, they just merged the two ipods to one ipod, without the "photo", and i think they just freed up space for an new called ipod, maybe "video".
also, the gap between 20 and 60 gig seems way too big to me.
the first thing i thought was: īhey, a 40 and 80 gig "special-ipod" would perfectly fit in between.ī

so the next possible updates could be paris in september, then november (which event?) and then january (macworld?), right?

GilGrissom
Aug 16, 2005, 02:36 PM
I'm pretty sure that HD in an iPod is COMPLETELY do-able, looking at the future of mobile computers (roll-out computers w/ completely streaming data). but again, the monitary aspect (on the consumer AND the producer) and the maintenance strikes out HD for a while.
Ok, wasn't sure. But incase we're on about different aspects, I was referring to a HD screen on the actual iPod, not HD content inside the iPod and the iPod being able to stream HD content out of it to, say, an external display/TV. Just to clarify!

I agree with your prediction points, highly viable! Oh how Apple spins it's wheel!!
a 5th g , not for a long time cuz the 4.5g juts came out
Not sure if they class that as a 0.5G increase from 4G, if they even have decimal points in their generations!

I agree with TobyM, the last update wasn't really an update, more a line intergration and price shift, nothing new.

the_freddinator
Aug 16, 2005, 02:36 PM
in my opinion, there are just a little too many rumors in the last time, regarding an upcoming release of new ipods, maybe with video support.
is that "normal", so many rumors about a new ipod release?

the patent thing, which is now including "video", then the rumors about an upcoming video store...you know them all, of course, better than me, i guess. i mean, thats the macrumor-site :)

Wait, ITunes video store is a spreading rumor? Damn, I thought I was being original :(

TobyM
Aug 16, 2005, 03:37 PM
Wait, ITunes video store is a spreading rumor? Damn, I thought I was being original :(

oh...iīm not completely sure about that.
you already can buy music videos, right?
but some kind of a movie store would be nice :)

there just HAS to be something like that in itunes 5, which canīt be that far away.
also, itunes 5 has to be released together with ipod 5 :)

the_freddinator
Aug 16, 2005, 03:44 PM
oh...iīm not completely sure about that.
you already can buy music videos, right?
but some kind of a movie store would be nice :)

there just HAS to be something like that in itunes 5, which canīt be that far away.
also, itunes 5 has to be released together with ipod 5 :)

Wait, can you buy music videos? I thought they were used promotionally w/ purchase of cds off of ITMS...

GilGrissom
Aug 16, 2005, 03:50 PM
Wait, can you buy music videos? I thought they were used promotionally w/ purchase of cds off of ITMS...
Yes I believe they are, you are right. You can get them with some albums when you buy the whole album, not on their own and they're not that easy to find at the moment. But yes it would be nice to have a iTMVS.

Warbrain
Aug 16, 2005, 09:09 PM
The 5G will come out this year, without a doubt. You don't think Apple would wait until it was closer to Christmas time in order to maximize the profit a bit? Wouldn't surprise me at all. So what if they just merged the photo and iPod lines, that was a minor update like with just regular size updates with the 3G iPods. It's gonna happen before Christmas, but after iPod mini updates.

eXan
Aug 16, 2005, 09:30 PM
I think that 5th gen will be released around the same date the iPod photo and was released. I hope it will be video iPod! :D

cwright
Aug 17, 2005, 01:15 AM
The 5th Gen iPods will be released the day after I upgrade my 15gb 3rd gen iPod :rolleyes:

TobyM
Aug 17, 2005, 01:32 AM
i think there are many indications of an upcoming ipod release: the merging of the ipod lines, reducing "ipod photo" to just "ipod" to free up space for another "special" ipod (and of course the strange gap between 20 and 60 gig)...so that two ipods would exist together, a cheaper one for people who only want to listen to their music, and a more expensive one, maybe with video abilities.
i think video podcasts on the ipod would be very funny :)

also, itunes 5 will most apparently be released within the next months, and with that big version jump i really expect some major changes. a video store could be that change. i think it should be something big für version 5.
imo, itīs also likely that a new ipod is released with v5, as it was with the 3rd gen ipods and itunes v4. a new ipod that supports the new features of itunes 5.
maybe there are only some new color minis or new shuffles presented at the paris expo, and then in november itunes 5 and a new ipod...
iīm waiting...no ipod till gen 5 ;)

Elrond39
Aug 17, 2005, 06:25 AM
iīm waiting...no ipod till gen 5 ;)

I almost agree............

The 5th Gen iPods will be released the day after I upgrade my 15gb 3rd gen iPod

Which, more than likely, will be the same day that I update from my 3rd gen 15GB.

GilGrissom
Aug 17, 2005, 06:32 AM
The 5th Gen iPods will be released the day after I upgrade my 15gb 3rd gen iPod ;)
Which, more than likely, will be the same day that I update from my 3rd gen 15GB.
So it's you two's fault that we're waiting for a 5G iPod! Upgrade already! :p hehe....I jest. :o

Sharewaredemon
Aug 17, 2005, 06:39 AM
So it's you two's fault that we're waiting for a 5G iPod! Upgrade already! :p hehe....I jest. :o

Oddly enough I'm also waiting to upgrade my 15Gb 3G iPod to a 5th too.

Though I'm not upgrading till then .....
so....
no 5th gen iPod?

GilGrissom
Aug 17, 2005, 06:41 AM
Oddly enough I'm also waiting to upgrade my 15Gb 3G iPod to a 5th too.

Though I'm not upgrading till then .....
so....
no 5th gen iPod?
Darn it!
:p

Chundles
Aug 17, 2005, 06:44 AM

*slowly raises hand in a sheepish manner*

3G 15GB iPod owner also waiting to update.....

GilGrissom
Aug 17, 2005, 06:54 AM
*slowly raises hand in a sheepish manner*

3G 15GB iPod owner also waiting to update.....
The conspiracy deepens!

How much are Apple paying you then? Something you know about the 4G that we don't eh?! :p

No 5G iPod soon then!! Anymore?! :rolleyes:

Its a good job I'm happy with my iPod photo! :p

Chundles
Aug 17, 2005, 07:01 AM
The conspiracy deepens!

How much are Apple paying you then? Something you know about the 4G that we don't eh?! :p

I know I don't like the choice of sizes or that grey click wheel, but, Mr Grissom, I am sorry for delaying this well-needed update to the iPod line.

;)

GilGrissom
Aug 17, 2005, 07:27 AM
I know I don't like the choice of sizes or that grey click wheel, but, Mr Grissom, I am sorry for delaying this well-needed update to the iPod line.

;)
All is forgiven! ;) I hope you all enjoy your new 5G iPods when they come out! And let me know how much better they are to my photo! :rolleyes:

Spread the happiness!

Sharewaredemon
Aug 17, 2005, 07:34 AM
That's four of us now holding back the 5G update with our 3G 15gb iPods.

GilGrissom
Aug 17, 2005, 07:38 AM
...(***busily trying to convince Apple to stop support, iTunes and iTMS intergration for all 3G 15Gb iPods under the cover of darkness, for the good of all podkind***)...

:cool:

Sharewaredemon
Aug 17, 2005, 08:26 AM
...(***busily trying to convince Apple to stop support, iTunes and iTMS intergration for all 3G 15Gb iPods under the cover of darkness, for the good of all podkind***)...

Hahahahaha,

yeah we'll see about that.

Maybe a top secret underground community will emerge of people hacking theirr 3G iPods to work with iTunes and stuff after you succeed.

cwright
Aug 17, 2005, 10:13 AM
I'd love a 100gb photo ipod to replace mine. I have 100gb of music and would like to use the digital camera USB cable to download pics from my Digital Rebel XT as well. I figure 100gb would be a great size to hold more than plenty music, tons of pictures, and still have lots of left over space to use it as a portable hard drive...nowadays I tend to use it as a hard drive more than an mp3 player :eek:

But knowing Apple they'll probably top out at 80gb... and video would be kinda cool, but I don't know if I'd really use it that much. Besides, if I added a bunch of video to the mix, I might need a 200gb iPod! :)

m-dogg
Aug 17, 2005, 10:17 AM

+1 third gen 30GB owner. I'm waiting for 5th gen too, though a hard drive bigger than 60GB may sway me...

GilGrissom
Aug 17, 2005, 03:59 PM
Hahahahaha,

yeah we'll see about that.

Maybe a top secret underground community will emerge of people hacking theirr 3G iPods to work with iTunes and stuff after you succeed.
Maybe! But I run a tight little ship around here! A proper Apple mission, we're not talking Microsoft here! :p

Cwright, I agree with you about hard drive space. I have a friend with a 3G iPod, the 15Gb I think (Another none-upgrader! :mad: ***mumbles***! :rolleyes: .). He always said that anyone with a bigger hard drive was stupid and either didn't need it or was sad enough to have that much music. Well apart from my iPod being the lowest spec photo at the time of release (40Gb not 60Gb) he can't complain at me too much! But the space does come in handy! I've been approaching half full for ages, but now suddenly with the surge of holiday photos and other files I'm backing up I've almost ran out of space! I too would like bigger capacity iPods, they are just so versatile!

If I ever upgrade I would stoop to 80Gb perhaps (depends on what is on offer as you say), but would ideally like a 100Gb to make real nice use as a portable hard drive. Space has infinate uses! :)

the_freddinator
Aug 17, 2005, 04:26 PM
Originally I wanted a 4g 20gig. What I got was a 40 which suits me just fine considering I'm up to 2500 songs and over 10 gigs filled (this is STRICTLY music). And now that I'm getting my 40 replaced for a 60photo, i'll be unloading my camera on to the photo, as well. It comes in handy since I have a (relatively) high grade camera w/ a gig memorystick. On family vacations I'm going to have to switch over from unloading to the laptop and leaving them there as the laptop gets more and more heavily used. You're right-

Space has infinate uses!

In fact, when (I'm going on the -safe- assumption that apple WILL come out w/ a videopod) the video cmes out, I'll fill that sucker up too.

I'm pretty sure as time goes on storage capacity will grow while the actual size of the storage device will shrink. I posted in a thread about new shuffles that I believe pretty soon a shuffle will have the storage capacity of a 20gig (or something of the likes)

TobyM
Aug 19, 2005, 08:43 AM
i guess apple will fill up the gaps between the current ipods, when they release the 5gīs.

i recently heard there are new harddrives available soon, with 40 (single, thin) and 80gb (double, larger). is it toshiba who manucfactures the ipod hdīs? i think it was toshiba who was mentioned in that article.
so the new 40gbīs could be just as thin as the current 20gb 4gīs, that would be nice....

when i bought my ipod photo i had to choose between 30 and 60.
i mainly took 30 because it was a lot thinner...and 30gb were enough for me....but with an ipod video, i could need some extra storage ;)

Loge
Aug 19, 2005, 08:53 AM
i recently heard there are new harddrives available soon, with 40 (single, thin) and 80gb (double, larger). is it toshiba who manucfactures the ipod hdīs? i think it was toshiba who was mentioned in that article.
so the new 40gbīs could be just as thin as the current 20gb 4gīs, that would be nice....

Toshiba makes the current drives; this article talks about new ones, but no mention of whether Apple is a customer (I guess Toshiba are learning from past indiscretions :p )

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5045

the_freddinator
Aug 19, 2005, 08:54 AM
i guess apple will fill up the gaps between the current ipods, when they release the 5gīs.

when i bought my ipod photo i had to choose between 30 and 60.
i mainly took 30 because it was a lot thinner...and 30gb were enough for me....but with an ipod video, i could need some extra storage ;)

Nobody's making hd iPods. Somebody brought up an HD player earlier in the post, but that was dismissed as expensive, hard to maintain, and all-together useless (remember it's a 2"x2" screen)

I really don't think that the 5g is just going to be filling the gaps. It seems w/ updates to generation there are obvious design upgrades, as well as firmware. I would like a thinner, high-capacity iPod, though.

TobyM
Aug 19, 2005, 09:34 AM
i didnīt mean high definition, just hd for harddrive, sorry.
i got the same opinion as you, that it wonīt be just a capacity-update...what iīm expecting and hoping for is even the opposite: a design update, more capacity, and finally a big feature update with the possibility of playing video...we all heard about that :)

i just read an article about the new toshiba harddrives...sounded very interesting. (thanks for the link, thatīs also an interesting article)

TobyM
Aug 19, 2005, 09:36 AM
Toshiba makes the current drives; this article talks about new ones, but no mention of whether Apple is a customer (I guess Toshiba are learning from past indiscretions :p )

really, is that such a secret?
i often heard about toshiba manufacturing the ipod-drives...
hasnīt anybody opened his ipod yet...itīs surely written on the drive :)

the_freddinator
Aug 19, 2005, 09:42 AM

Well, I'm sure there'd be no objection (except from from you) to having you open yours up and informing us ;)

mrgreen4242
Aug 19, 2005, 10:39 AM

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5045

There is no doubt in my mind that Apple was waiting for these drives to be released before doing a 5G iPod. They were announced by Toshiba MONTHS ago to the public, so Apple must have know at least last year they were coming.

I am betting on higher res color screens, 40 and 80gb versions to start, with about 18hours battery life. There will be a video feature built in, but mainly to watch music videos and such on. There will be a seperate 80gb video iPod with a better/bigger screen, etc. They wil add a 120gb version abotu 8 months after the 5G are launched.

As soon as Toshiba gets a microdrive shipping based on the new HDD technology the mini's will get an upgrade. No more 4gb, but they will keep the 6gb version at $180-200. The new one will be, and this is just a guess based on the rough data density of the new Toshiba drives, 10gb and will have a color low res (same as now anyways) display. (6gb will keep the B&W).

5G regular iPods on the selves in 3 months (Holiday shopping) OR in January so they can clear out the current models (I'm guessing on 3 months, personally). New mini's next Spring is my guess as well.

Chundles
Aug 19, 2005, 10:53 AM
I'd like to see the following:

iPod mini 6GB $199

iPod mini 8GB (maybe colour screen, haven't really decided on that yet) $249

iPod 20GB (Higher res colour screen, better battery life, white click wheel with backlit controls in white, possibly video enabled) $299

iPod 40GB (As above but using the new perpendicular HDD's so the same form factor as the 20GB, possibly video enabled) $369

iPod 80GB (As above but in the same form factor as the old 40GB B&W iPods, the 60GB is just massive! Maybe with some sort of video playback either on the higher res screen or plug into a TV) $429

Yeah the pricing gets a bit weird at the higher end but I couldn't figure out which way to go, drop the prices across the board and bring the 80GB in at the same price point as the current 60GB or keep them similar and up the price at the top end. What do you lot think?

TobyM
Aug 19, 2005, 10:53 AM
nice, i hope youīre right.

i believe that apple was waiting for these drives, too.

i read that the size has also reduced very much, so that there would be more space for the battery, and so the battery life could be improved...what is really needed anyways, especially when it comes to playing video.

Loge
Aug 19, 2005, 11:04 AM

The fact that Toshiba make current drives is no secret. But for obvious commercial reasons it would be indiscreet for them to reveal if Apple were purchasing their next generation drives for use in future products. Toshiba have slipped up here before with the 60GB drive now used in the iPod.

GilGrissom
Aug 19, 2005, 03:07 PM
I'd like to see the following:

iPod mini 6GB $199

iPod mini 8GB (maybe colour screen, haven't really decided on that yet) $249

iPod 20GB (Higher res colour screen, better battery life, white click wheel with backlit controls in white, possibly video enabled) $299

iPod 40GB (As above but using the new perpendicular HDD's so the same form factor as the 20GB, possibly video enabled) $369

iPod 80GB (As above but in the same form factor as the old 40GB B&W iPods, the 60GB is just massive! Maybe with some sort of video playback either on the higher res screen or plug into a TV) $429

Yeah the pricing gets a bit weird at the higher end but I couldn't figure out which way to go, drop the prices across the board and bring the 80GB in at the same price point as the current 60GB or keep them similar and up the price at the top end. What do you lot think?
Very interesting.

I particularly like your ideas about the modifications in look and extras to the iPod that no one else has thought about, including the white click wheel and backlights etc. Hmmmmm, I wonder!

I read somewhere a while ago that the look of the classic white iPod may change, where the whole thing will become metal with a brushed metal finish. I personally don't think or hope it will happen, but having something similar done to the back chrome bit may be interesting, but I believe there will always be white iPods!

Loge
Aug 19, 2005, 07:39 PM

Why would there be backlit controls? The 3G had them, but once it became possible to place the controls in a more logical position (at least according to Apple) on the clickwheel the backlight was considered redundant.

ReanimationLP
Aug 19, 2005, 07:58 PM
I expect em to be released alongside the Powerbook and iBook G5. :D

Chundles
Aug 19, 2005, 08:07 PM
Why would there be backlit controls? The 3G had them, but once it became possible to place the controls in a more logical position (at least according to Apple) on the clickwheel the backlight was considered redundant.

Because it would look cool. :cool:

runninmac
Aug 20, 2005, 08:47 AM
Apple just updated/ (made it noticeable) its site to have free on all iPod accessories till the 25th of sept. so I think that should mean new 5th Gen iPods then :D (or it could be my overtired mind at work)

Chundles
Aug 20, 2005, 09:00 AM
Very interesting.

I particularly like your ideas about the modifications in look and extras to the iPod that no one else has thought about, including the white click wheel and backlights etc. Hmmmmm, I wonder!

I read somewhere a while ago that the look of the classic white iPod may change, where the whole thing will become metal with a brushed metal finish. I personally don't think or hope it will happen, but having something similar done to the back chrome bit may be interesting, but I believe there will always be white iPods!

I agree that they will be white for a very, very long time if not for the term of their existence. But the brushed metal or even anodised aluminium could be cool, same rounded cross section as the mini but with a white shiny front and an anodised back. Might be cool.

All I want from Apple is a reasonably priced (AUD$450 ish - yeah I know, that is in no way "reasonable" but hey, who cares) iPod with a capacity around 30 or 40GB with a good 18 hour battery life (they can get one in the mini, they can get one in the fullsized one too) and backlit controls. Yeah I know they're redundant but it would look so damn cool at night.

Yeah, I know it's for playing music but if you don't think that the iPod has become an image thing too you're kidding yourself and by god I want my iPod looking as cool as possible.

greenguy4
Aug 20, 2005, 09:04 AM
Apple just updated/ (made it noticeable) its site to have free on all iPod accessories till the 25th of sept. so I think that should mean new 5th Gen iPods then :D (or it could be my overtired mind at work)

Actually that is very interesting. The date posted is actually the 24th which is the last day of the Apple Expo in Paris!!!
Could this mean a redesign of the iPod? Not to mention Apple giving away iPods with their back to school promotion!

Lots of indicators...

GilGrissom
Aug 20, 2005, 09:17 AM
Hmm ye, sounds interesting. Where exactly does it say it? Sorry, I'm not very observant at the moment!

EDIT- Found it!!...Gosh, really REALLY wasn't being observant! Free shipping, nice!

TobyM
Aug 20, 2005, 10:37 AM
sorry, but...whatīs the indication of a new ipod generation when all ipod acessory shippings are free until a certain date at the paris expo?

i think i didnt get it :)

Chundles
Aug 20, 2005, 12:55 PM
sorry, but...whatīs the indication of a new ipod generation when all ipod acessory shippings are free until a certain date at the paris expo?

i think i didnt get it :)

On it's own it doesn't mean all that much but when you look at things happening all over (iPod has gone about a year since it's last major update, they're promoting iPods left right and centre) you start to build up a picture of Apple's plan.

So, this promotion could have two meanings:

1. - Apple's feeling particularly benevolent. (Hmmm...nup.)

2. - Apple is trying to clear as much inventory as it can that pertains to the current generation of iPod in preparation for a new form factor or some other sort of change that may render some or all of these accessories useless.

When you combine possibility 2 with the fact the the "Student Union" free iPod deal ends around the time of the Paris expo (not that it ever started here in Oz and yes, I know that it pertains more towards the iPod mini there are rumours of an update to this line as well although I don't see anything beyond perhaps a storage increase) and the timing of the free accessories shipping you can sort of put the pieces together that Apple is more aggressively than usual pursuing iPod sales ahead of a major change.

TobyM
Aug 20, 2005, 01:07 PM
okay, thanks.
now i understand what youīre meaning.
that really makes sense...selling out the accessories before the new product is released.

a 5 gen would be too nice...i really hope apple is releasing a new ipod soon.

what about the current resellersīsituation? are the ipods themselves getting rare slowly? i thought i heard something about that a few days ago, and thatīs always a good sign for some new products...

Chundles
Aug 20, 2005, 01:22 PM
okay, thanks.
now i understand what youīre meaning.
that really makes sense...selling out the accessories before the new product is released.

a 5 gen would be too nice...i really hope apple is releasing a new ipod soon.

what about the current resellersīsituation? are the ipods themselves getting rare slowly? i thought i heard something about that a few days ago, and thatīs always a good sign for some new products...

From what I've read on this forum, 4GB minis and 60GB iPods are in short supply, my local AppleCentre could cover a rugby field with all the iPod shuffle 1GB boxes they have but I can't see any 512MB ones anywhere. Have a look at my post to see what I think might be happening - it's always good to base any predictions you might have on those made by another person who is equally clueless as to what WILL happen but posted earlier than you. ;)

hyperpasta
Aug 20, 2005, 01:37 PM
It could come at three times:

- Apple Expo Paris (Late September): Highly Unlikely
- Special Event (Late October): Possible, as they would maximize profits for
the holidays.
- Macworld San Fran (Early January): If not before, definitly(sp?) here. It will
come with the new iTunes 5 in iLife 06.

the_freddinator
Aug 20, 2005, 01:43 PM

the holidays.
- Macworld San Fran (Early January): If not before, definitly(sp?) here. It will

I don't think it would come out at Macworld. That'd be AVOIDING the holiday season! Perhaps they unveil the 5g at macworld...but not bring it out to stores in early january. What would it become a gift for? Martin luther king jr's birthday? I think not!

TobyM
Aug 20, 2005, 01:48 PM

the holidays.

i agree with you.
paris expo would be nice, but maybe a little too soon.
possible that just some new minis (storage, color display) or shuffles are released there.

i think it could be in october or november, definitely before the holidays.
iīm convinved that itunes 5 will be released within this year, and that should be the perfect time for a new ipod generation.

greenguy4
Aug 20, 2005, 02:40 PM
I sure hope it comes out in the next month or two cause I can't wait any longer!!!!

TobyM
Aug 21, 2005, 02:49 AM
yes, itīs hard to wait :)
especially if youīd really like to buy an ipod right now (maybe cause your ipod doesnt work anymore, like in my case :( ), but you know that there are new ipods soon and you just better wait :)

indications like the free accessory shipping would indicate something for the paris expo, but i think more people are expecting new ipods for october or november.

i still hope there will be something big, like a "itunes media store" where you can buy music and music videos, and maybe movies. and a new ipod together with a new itunes.
should be worth the jump to itunes version 5 :)

GilGrissom
Aug 21, 2005, 04:43 AM
yes, itīs hard to wait :)
especially if youīd really like to buy an ipod right now (maybe cause your ipod doesnt work anymore, like in my case :( ), but you know that there are new ipods soon and you just better wait :)

indications like the free accessory shipping would indicate something for the paris expo, but i think more people are expecting new ipods for october or november.

i still hope there will be something big, like a "itunes media store" where you can buy music and music videos, and maybe movies. and a new ipod together with a new itunes.
should be worth the jump to itunes version 5 :)
I agree, and hope your predictions of iTunes 5 is correct! I need something new to play with!

Yes it is especially if you're waiting for an iPod, first time or replacement. This is exactly what happened to me last year with my iPod photo. I was not following the Mac scene as I should have been (i.e.: not at all!) and was talking myself into an iPod for ages, eventually I agreed to myself (:confused:) and waited till I had enough money. The day I checked my bank account to see I had enough I rushed onto the Apple site only to see the brand new "iPod photo - Why should your ears have all the fun?" page! Over the moon I went ahead and brought it, realising I still had enough! Just think how "annoyed" I would be if I had gone ahead and brought the normal iPod a day earlier??!! :p

BlizzardBomb
Aug 21, 2005, 06:29 AM
Here's some things I'd like to see:

Glow-in-the-dark clickwheel
Gapless playback
A battery that you can change yourself (similar to mobile phones)
Price held or dropped

I expect it would come out before Christmas. The regular iPod is due for an update... :) If it came out in the Paris Expo it would be one hell of a show with everything they're supposedly releasing on this date :D

podfuture
Aug 21, 2005, 08:58 AM

the holidays.

New Mini- Apple Expo Paris... yep, that's when it should be.

4GB Flash, with a display about the size of the present Mini. White top, metal bottom... just like the iPod. Thin, about the thickness of the Shuffle. Color display??? don't know.

Wipe out Creative, Sandisk, Rio, iRiver... certainly!!

So I will rush out and buy the an extra Mini cause we are coming up on the last chance. And get the new one too!!

TobyM
Aug 21, 2005, 10:17 AM
i just read that samsung made a very good offer to apple, to become the manufacturer of the 4gb-flash-memory in eventually upcoming ipod minis.
they say that usually flash memory is twice as expensive as a harddrive with the same capacity, but samsung offered apple their flash memory to the same price as the harddrives.
http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=23MDMWYYZ1RXIQSNDBCSKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleID=169400638

but....who cares about the minis :)
i want a new ipod....and as soon as possible :D

hyperpasta
Aug 21, 2005, 10:38 AM
I don't think it would come out at Macworld. That'd be AVOIDING the holiday season! Perhaps they unveil the 5g at macworld...but not bring it out to stores in early january. What would it become a gift for? Martin luther king jr's birthday? I think not!

My thinking is that iTunes 5 will come with the new generation, and since iLife comes during Macworld, we might see it then. If it doesn't come out by November, it will definetly come out at Macworld.

Chundles
Aug 21, 2005, 10:40 AM
i just read that samsung made a very good offer to apple, to become the manufacturer of the 4gb-flash-memory in eventually upcoming ipod minis.
they say that usually flash memory is twice as expensive as a harddrive with the same capacity, but samsung offered apple their flash memory to the same price as the harddrives.
http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=23MDMWYYZ1RXIQSNDBCSKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleID=169400638

but....who cares about the minis :)
i want a new ipod....and as soon as possible :D

That's a very interesting article... not too sure about the claims it makes but hey, anything is possible.

TobyM
Aug 21, 2005, 01:48 PM
My thinking is that iTunes 5 will come with the new generation, and since iLife comes during Macworld, we might see it then. If it doesn't come out by November, it will definetly come out at Macworld.

do you really think we have to wait for itunes 5 for 5 more months?
seems too long to me.
iīd love to see some new ipods in paris, but i guess theyīll maybe just present new minis, maybe based on flash memory.
but new ipods will definitely be released before christmas...they wonīt miss all the holiday business :)

TobyM
Aug 22, 2005, 04:41 AM
i just read some more about possible flash-based ipod minis.
sounds very interesting...with the extra space, they could have a battery integrated that lasts for so many hours...and they could be much slimmer and lighter, of course.

and they would be fully sports-compatible, what has been a reason to buy an ipod shuffle until now.
weīll see :)

GilGrissom
Aug 22, 2005, 06:15 AM
sounds very interesting...with the extra space, they could have a battery integrated that lasts for so many hours...and they could be much slimmer and lighter, of course.

and they would be fully sports-compatible, what has been a reason to buy an ipod shuffle until now.
Yes it does sound very interesting. Your point about the battery is also very interesting and true. With flash memory in wouldn't the original battery last longer as it is? Without a higher capacity or bigger one being put in?! So we may win on two fronts here. With this I feel the mini could become as thin, if not a lot closer, to the thickness of the current shuffle. That would be cool, almost razor thin. Now all we need is for a nice new 100Gb flash module to come along!! hehe! :cool:

Chundles
Aug 22, 2005, 06:49 AM

From what I've read the battery life on these NAND flash chips is not hugely different to that on a HDD based player. I'd really like to see what Sony is using - they can get 50 hours out of some of theirs, not sure if they use AAA's or if it's an internal rechargeable unit.

The current iPod mini is going in the right direction, I'd like to see a seriously huge bump in battery life on the new gen - like the jump from 1G to 2G mini was, 8hrs at minimal usage on the 1G to 18hrs at normal usage on the 2G was damned impressive.

Sorry to harp on about the battery but it's important to me, I use it mostly when traveling and down here, everything is a long way away.

I've already made my predictions but the two things I want are:

1. A model to plug the massive 20GB - 60GB gap
2. Battery life around the 20 - 25 hours.

GilGrissom
Aug 22, 2005, 07:51 AM
From what I've read the battery life on these NAND flash chips is not hugely different to that on a HDD based player. I'd really like to see what Sony is using - they can get 50 hours out of some of theirs, not sure if they use AAA's or if it's an internal rechargeable unit.

The current iPod mini is going in the right direction, I'd like to see a seriously huge bump in battery life on the new gen - like the jump from 1G to 2G mini was, 8hrs at minimal usage on the 1G to 18hrs at normal usage on the 2G was damned impressive.

Sorry to harp on about the battery but it's important to me, I use it mostly when traveling and down here, everything is a long way away.

I've already made my predictions but the two things I want are:

1. A model to plug the massive 20GB - 60GB gap
2. Battery life around the 20 - 25 hours.
Battery life is very important, and well worth keep mentioning. It's one of the "normal" specs of a music player that you can easily compare across the board and so should be one of the critical factors for purely competitive reasons, let alone better enjoyment and usage reasons! From what I hear the Sony battery life claims are never what they state on paper, although they still can last longer than most iPod batteries (on paper and in practice). I brought my girlfriend a 1Gb shuffle earlier this year and the battery life is superb, much longer than what it states it should be! It also seems to recharge itself! If you use it for a bit and it goes into orange for a while you can turn it off, leave it and it will go back to green. It will do this repeatidly on one charge!

Before you all say ye I know its not "actually" recharging! Humour me! It still has pretty good battery life in my opinion. Better than it states. I think they could make the shuffle have a huge leap in battery life very easily.

But yes, 20+ hours on the colour screens would be nice, perhaps a minimum increase in battery life for the 5G's, (ever optimistic of better!)

Chundles
Aug 22, 2005, 08:43 AM
Battery life is very important, and well worth keep mentioning. It's one of the "normal" specs of a music player that you can easily compare across the board and so should be one of the critical factors for purely competitive reasons, let alone better enjoyment and usage reasons! From what I hear the Sony battery life claims are never what they state on paper, although they still can last longer than most iPod batteries (on paper and in practice). I brought my girlfriend a 1Gb shuffle earlier this year and the battery life is superb, much longer than what it states it should be! It also seems to recharge itself! If you use it for a bit and it goes into orange for a while you can turn it off, leave it and it will go back to green. It will do this repeatidly on one charge!

Before you all say ye I know its not "actually" recharging! Humour me! It still has pretty good battery life in my opinion. Better than it states. I think they could make the shuffle have a huge leap in battery life very easily.

But yes, 20+ hours on the colour screens would be nice, perhaps a minimum increase in battery life for the 5G's, (ever optimistic of better!)

Yeah, I get about 15 hours out of my shuffle, not bad at all but I'm hoping for more from the new 5G although it probably doesn't matter and I'll be waiting a while till the cash flow gets back into the "useful" range ie. out of uni and working a real job. So 6G iPod here I come.....

GilGrissom
Aug 22, 2005, 10:29 AM
So 6G iPod here I come.....
Well we're all waiting for those 3G iPod owners to upgrade before we get our 5G, so the same could apply with upgrading 4G before we get 6G!! (Logical I think! :confused: .) so to be awkward I'm not gonna upgrade my 4G iPod photo so we don't get a 6G!! :p hehehe!

Chundles
Aug 22, 2005, 10:53 AM
Well we're all waiting for those 3G iPod owners to upgrade before we get our 5G, so the same could apply with upgrading 4G before we get 6G!! (Logical I think!:confused:) so to be awkward I'm not gonna upgrade my 4G iPod photo so we don't get a 6G!! :p hehehe!

Well, I'm one of those pesky 3G 15GB owners so :P

I'd still be tempted by a "Rolling Stones" Special Edition iPod but only if the capacity is right.....that'd be a mighty fine thing to have.

That 40GB gap is really starting to annoy me now....

GilGrissom
Aug 22, 2005, 11:26 AM
Well, I'm one of those pesky 3G 15GB owners so :P
Hehe! So it serves yourself right then! lol! :) I jest.
I'd still be tempted by a "Rolling Stones" Special Edition iPod but only if the capacity is right.....that'd be a mighty fine thing to have.
Rolling Stones? Wheres that from? Hmmm, never really thought about the future of the U2 iPod and chances of other limited editions. Cool though.

First things first, 5G iPods!! :D
That 40GB gap is really starting to annoy me now....
Ye but it helps with product differenciation and price justification! Think of it that way! But yes I know what you mean, I hope the 5G range brings about a consolidation of the capacities.

TobyM
Aug 22, 2005, 05:26 PM
i think i just canīt wait any longer...
it was so comfortable having an ipod in train, and at the morning on the way to the university...iīm missing that.
(as i wrote in my first post, i accidentally destroyed my ipod photo a week ago)

i was just calculating it...maybe iīll buy a 20 gb photo this weekend, and sell it again on ebay when the 5g comes out in a few months...might be about 80-100$ loss (about 30 per month)...but i think thatīs worth it for me.
i would immediately pay that for renting an ipod, without even thinking about it.
during the last year i got really used to listening to all of my music, anywhere..iīm really missing it right now.

TobyM
Aug 26, 2005, 06:12 AM
so, i really bought a new one, 20gb.
gonna sell my ipod photo the next days on ebay, there are surely some guys who want to put this thing in pieces, most of it is actually working, like hd, display and battery.
just no backlight, and thereīs a small 0,5mm gap on top between plastic and metal. but it is still completely closed. hope iīll get some bucks on ebay.

but no need to end this discussion, just cause i couldnīt wait :D
if the next ipod has really new outstanding features (like video playback on tv and screen), i still think iīll switch.
gonna lose some money again, but thatīs worth it to me.

the_freddinator
Aug 29, 2005, 04:55 PM
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2141594/apple-gears-ipod-unveiling

I guess it's sooner than I expected :D

GilGrissom
Aug 29, 2005, 05:03 PM
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2141594/apple-gears-ipod-unveiling

I guess it's sooner than I expected :D
We wait with baited breath!

berkleeboy210
Aug 29, 2005, 05:37 PM
I'd love if it had WiFi, and ItMS Built in so we could download right on the iPod, then sync up w/ the computers when we got home.

killuminati
Aug 29, 2005, 09:12 PM
I don't care what it has I just hope they release a new ipod. I hope they don't update the mini or the shuffle and I hope its not the itunes phone.

JD24
Aug 30, 2005, 01:00 AM
I don't care what it has I just hope they release a new ipod. I hope they don't update the mini or the shuffle and I hope its not the itunes phone.

I really hope it's a new ipod mini with flash instead of microdrive.
I don't care about the 'big' ipod since i like the mini a lot.
But time will tell...

JD

GuitarRocker
Aug 30, 2005, 08:06 PM
Well we're all waiting for those 3G iPod owners to upgrade before we get our 5G, so the same could apply with upgrading 4G before we get 6G!! (Logical I think! :confused: .) so to be awkward I'm not gonna upgrade my 4G iPod photo so we don't get a 6G!! :p hehehe!

WOW No 3g iPod user will upgrade to 4g. Trust me I own a 3gen. and the only reason I am getting a 5gen is because my 3rd gen didnt live through my experimentation.

GilGrissom
Aug 31, 2005, 04:39 AM
WOW No 3g iPod user will upgrade to 4g. Trust me I own a 3gen. and the only reason I am getting a 5gen is because my 3rd gen didnt live through my experimentation.
Hehe, ye was a little joke running through the thread!
Well I'm glad one 3G owner is upgrading!!
Experimentation? What experimentation?? Should I be worried for your iPods health?! :confused:

the_freddinator
Aug 31, 2005, 08:14 AM
I really hope it's a new ipod mini with flash instead of microdrive.
I don't care about the 'big' ipod since i like the mini a lot.
But time will tell...

JD

Don't get your hopes up...I've been reading lots of articles (well, the headlines at least) and for the most part, people are expecting the cellphone-ipod thing....