PDA

View Full Version : Wait on Powerbook or not?




broncoball
Sep 21, 2005, 10:16 PM
I am going to buy a 12 inch superdrive powerbook, but i hav waited for the last month, intisipating an update at the expo. should i go ahead and just buy it or do you think there will be an update in the mere future?
On a side note - i was wondering if i hav some songs on my itunes on a pc that might contain viruses could the viruses be transfered to the mac if i upload my songs to it?



bursty
Sep 21, 2005, 10:22 PM
Since there were no updates at the expo, I wouldnt expect any PBs until Christmas at the earliest. I say go ahead and buy it now.

dmw007
Sep 21, 2005, 10:35 PM
Since there were no updates at the expo, I wouldnt expect any PBs until Christmas at the earliest. I say go ahead and buy it now.

No updates so far, the last day of the Paris Expo is Saturday 9/24/2005. Although, I thought that they tried to release "important" things on the first day......

So there is still a slight chance of new PowerBook G4's. Maybe. :)

KittenKrusher
Sep 21, 2005, 10:43 PM
My vote is buy now.

Naimfan
Sep 21, 2005, 10:53 PM
I would echo the others--if you need one, just buy it. The fact that the Mac Minis are (apparently) in the process of being updated makes me think that Powerbooks won't be in the near future.

Best,

Bob

wako
Sep 21, 2005, 10:55 PM
Id say buy it till you actually need it. I mean if you waited out a month, its obvious you dont really need it anytime soon, if even at all. It wont hurt to wait, but it also wont hurt if you buy it now.

No matter when you buy it, you'll still be very happy with your purchase.

IMO if you really need to buy it, buy it next wednesday. So if there was to be any updates near the expo, you cant beat yourself saying you didnt wait.

Again if you really dont need it, dont bother. If you absolutely need it within 2 weeks, quickly get it and get acquinted

MacPassion
Sep 21, 2005, 11:07 PM
i would wait one week or so...does it make any difference to you having it tomorrow or in two weeks time? maybe not....

i'm waiting myself...com'on! there must be an update!

broncoball
Sep 22, 2005, 11:47 PM
Thanks i think i will wait till next week and see how things play out.

powerbook911
Sep 23, 2005, 12:27 AM
Yes, I would wait a week or two.

Apple does not make minor speed bumps during the big events. For example, the last Powerbook update came two weeks after MacWorld.

pagartimun
Sep 23, 2005, 01:45 AM
:cool:
tic...toc...tic...toc...

I am waiting for my pb update...

lexfuzo
Sep 23, 2005, 03:50 AM
I'm not going to buy a PB at its current pricepoint. I think there will be an update (nothing revolutionary, though) or a price cut after the end of that "Student Union"-Offer.

Nereus
Sep 23, 2005, 04:00 AM
I'm not going to buy a PB at its current pricepoint. I think there will be an update (nothing revolutionary, though) or a price cut after the end of that "Student Union"-Offer.

I'm going to wait until Tuesday, or perhaps the Tuesday after that, then I will place an order. Iím not in great need of a PowerBook; I have a decent PC, but I'm getting tired of waiting to switch - I just want one, basically.

lexfuzo
Sep 23, 2005, 04:27 AM
I'm going to wait until Tuesday, or perhaps the Tuesday after that, then I will place an order. I’m not in great need of a PowerBook; I have a decent PC, but I'm getting tired of waiting to switch - I just want one, basically.
In .at the student promo lasts until Oct 8th. This is considerably later than in the U.S. I hope for updates or price drops to be announced in this period. If there's nothing on the way, I'll get an iBook in the beginning of october.

broncoball
Sep 23, 2005, 05:43 PM
thanks for ur advice.
does anyone know the answer to my second question?

themacman
Sep 23, 2005, 05:57 PM
(JMF)
I guess i would just go for it if your really want it. I am in the same situation as you and i am waiting one or two more weeks then buying. Go with what u want, youll be happy with what you buy.

lexfuzo
Sep 23, 2005, 06:01 PM
On a side note - i was wondering if i hav some songs on my itunes on a pc that might contain viruses could the viruses be transfered to the mac if i upload my songs to it?

Viruses in your songs? :confused:
If that's the case they will be transferred but they won't affect your Mac.

AP_piano295
Sep 23, 2005, 06:22 PM
I say wate because the current powerbooks are monstrously overpriced especially when compared to other power laptops and even the ibooks.

i4k20c
Sep 23, 2005, 07:09 PM
Idk, i went ahead and got it and am on it right now, in fact, i just opened in 10 minz ago! hahaha, this thing is amazing and i'm in love, thas for sure! i'm glad i got it, i assume if there is a update, the latest i'd wait is this tues (reason i didnt is cuz my bro wanted a ipod, and we could use a photo printer,=) so i took advantage of both those rebates! if anything, if there is a upgrage, i will ask nicely for the upgrade, or ppl have told me that they got me 100 bux back...

tekmoe
Sep 23, 2005, 07:30 PM
Idk, i went ahead and got it and am on it right now, in fact, i just opened in 10 minz ago! hahaha, this thing is amazing and i'm in love, thas for sure! i'm glad i got it, i assume if there is a update, the latest i'd wait is this tues (reason i didnt is cuz my bro wanted a ipod, and we could use a photo printer,=) so i took advantage of both those rebates! if anything, if there is a upgrage, i will ask nicely for the upgrade, or ppl have told me that they got me 100 bux back...

i think there is a slim chance of getting an upgrade without having to pay the restocking fee. BUT, there is a good chance you could get $100 back, if not more, depending on how much this discount the previous models like you and i own right now. it'd pretty much be a pricematch.

i4k20c
Sep 23, 2005, 07:51 PM
i think there is a slim chance of getting an upgrade without having to pay the restocking fee. BUT, there is a good chance you could get $100 back, if not more, depending on how much this discount the previous models like you and i own right now. it'd pretty much be a pricematch.


yah, 100 bux to me would be fine..jus means i can upgrde in 3.5 yrs rather than 4 ;) idk, i dont think any major update wil happen, only thing i want? I guess compared to my roomate quoismo laptop, the screen could be nicer, and idk..it does get a bit warm.. but i can think of anything id honestly want... :o

generik
Sep 23, 2005, 08:10 PM
Normally.. when people posts threads like "Should I buy XXX now", it only means one thing.

Deep down in their hearts, beneath all the fanboism and the mutated brain cells from Steve's RDF, there lies a doubt.. a doubt that the current lines remotely resemble good value for money.

You'd be better off waiting. Nobody *needs* a computer, especially one that is barely faster than what you currently have. Just wait a few months. The superior Intel architecture will blow your socks off and make you regret your buying decision now.

drake
Sep 23, 2005, 11:12 PM
Get out there and buy....a Thinkpad. Then wait to add the OS X to it.

broncoball
Sep 25, 2005, 10:47 PM
Get out there and buy....a Thinkpad. Then wait to add the OS X to it.

will u really be able to do that?

KittenKrusher
Sep 25, 2005, 10:50 PM
Saying that you will be able to put OS X on a ThinkPad is no different than saying thew PowerBooks will be here on Tuesday.

broncoball
Oct 1, 2005, 03:19 PM
Would I be able to buy the current powerbook and if they do update it be able to return it for the new one? I know there is a restocking fee, but what are the details on that?

Macky-Mac
Oct 1, 2005, 03:59 PM
Would I be able to buy the current powerbook and if they do update it be able to return it for the new one? I know there is a restocking fee, but what are the details on that?
apple store refund policy (http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html)

mjstew33
Oct 1, 2005, 05:16 PM
I would wait 2 more weeks to be safe. The 12" PBs are great little machines. If they don't get updated between that time, just buy buy buy! :D

drake
Oct 2, 2005, 12:47 PM
Saying that you will be able to put OS X on a ThinkPad is no different than saying thew PowerBooks will be here on Tuesday.

People are already doing just that. But it doesn't work that well and very completed to install. I suspect this situation will improve faster than Apple producing an equivalent Powerbook.

Nereus
Oct 2, 2005, 04:10 PM
I would wait 2 more weeks to be safe. The 12" PBs are great little machines. If they don't get updated between that time, just buy buy buy! :D

I agree. I said that I would wait just 2 more weeks 5 weeks ago ;). But I will wait until the end of October just to be on the safe side. If no PB update by then, then I buy. Everything would be much easier if Apple just told us that there would be no updates until January or stated that yes an update is imminent, but we can't tell you the details.

themacman
Oct 2, 2005, 04:40 PM
i think its like 50 bucks or so. You should just wait two more tuesdaya and thats it. there will be new powerbooks within the next two weeks.

broncoball
Oct 2, 2005, 06:07 PM
i think its like 50 bucks or so. You should just wait two more tuesdaya and thats it. there will be new powerbooks within the next two weeks.

thanks for ur advice charlie or should i say shlomis

broncoball
Oct 3, 2005, 11:12 PM
im getting so tired of waiting does anyone think there'll be an update tomarrow

mjstew33
Oct 3, 2005, 11:34 PM
im getting so tired of waiting does anyone think there'll be an update tomarrow
I think it's very possible. Now, let's stay positive and keep our fingers crossed!

powerbook911
Oct 4, 2005, 12:56 AM
I think it's very possible. Now, let's stay positive and keep our fingers crossed!

I would love to be proven wrong, but I do not see it happening at all, for another 2 or 3 weeks. The fact that the majority of Powerbooks are still on 24 hours, for stock models doesn't point towards an update being likely this week.

However, if Apple changes their ways and releases one, I'd be happy. I don't expect it at all though.

broncoball
Oct 14, 2005, 03:12 PM
well now the 15 and 17 inch powerbooks are at 3-5 days shipping but the 12 is still at 24 hours. i knew i shouldnt have waited.

macbaseball
Oct 14, 2005, 03:16 PM
Definitely wait for the Invitation Only Special Event in NYC on October 19. It will most likely be some update either the Power Mac or Powerbook, or even better both.

broncoball
Oct 14, 2005, 03:29 PM
Could the reason that there is 24 hours on the 12 be because of a 13.3 widescreen in the making? :)

this is funah
Oct 14, 2005, 04:55 PM
signs are pointing to PB updates the 19th(most recent macrumors news post). id at least wait that long.

GeorgeTheMonkey
Oct 14, 2005, 09:20 PM
Hi all,

I'm currently the owner of the latest 17" Powerbook, 1.67 Mhz. I use it constantly and love it, but I'm tempted greatly by these rumors of a new High Definition/higher density screen, as well as DDR2 RAM.

I'm an educator, so I qualify for educational pricing, but would probably be able to sell my old PB at the regular price for used PBs. Highest I've seen is about $2200; a new 17" PB at edu pricing is $2399.

My question is: should I sell my current 17" PB to buy a (rumored) new 17" PB? I'm completely open to input; I haven't made up my mind yet at all. My next question would be, should I sell (likely on eBay) before or after the event next Wednesday then, if I did indeed decide to?

Thanks.