Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barthrh

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
Whyren said:
Hmm, this could be interesting. Camera add-on for the iPod perhaps? Or simply an Apple-branded image-editing software (one more pro-useful than iPhoto/PhotoBooth).
A while back there was a rumor about "Photo Pro". My guess is that this is what it is. Very timely, because I was just getting irked at how iPhoto manages files when you use Photoshop as your editor (i.e. thumbnails not updating, photo not being found if PS saves as .jpg but iPhoto has .JPG, etc...)

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
Cool article. I have mild interest in the new Powerbooks, but the process of relocation sounds interesting and probably. It wouldn't be logical to keep huge PowerPC teams, but I guess I never thought about Apple dismantling the teams. Thanks for posting.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
From AppleInsider
Each new PowerMac will boast two of the PowerPC 970MP processors for a total of four cores of processing power. Improved PCI-E-based graphics and dual-layer SuperDrives are also a lock, sources added.
This should get our juices flowing! After so many disappointments the PM crowd deserves something as sweet.

The new PBs, however, will be less intriguing if there is to be no upgrade to the CPU. Nevertheless, higher resolution screens, possibly PCI-E graphics, and new SuperDrives will still be welcome.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
We did have predictins of a dual core Powermac at the time of the last revision. I suppose there's a greater chance of one this time......... but i'm not sure people should get their hopes up too much. :confused:

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
MacSA said:
We did have predictins of a dual core Powermac at the time of the last revision. I suppose there's a greater chance of one......... but i'm not sure people should get their hopes up. :confused:

Well I hope that they do come out with a dual core Power Mac next week because I need one.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
barthrh said:
A while back there was a rumor about "Photo Pro". My guess is that this is what it is. Very timely, because I was just getting irked at how iPhoto manages files when you use Photoshop as your editor (i.e. thumbnails not updating, photo not being found if PS saves as .jpg but iPhoto has .JPG, etc...)

I remember this- and it wasn't about editing images either, it was about organizing them. A professional version of iPhoto, not a Photoshop competitor. Contact sheets, RAW support, etc.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
PowerMac users gonna get what they wanted but portable crowd is going have to wait just a bit more.

vrabz

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
Madison, WI
Lame Duck PBs?

with the reports of bugs as they are, I may as well wait for the mactel PBs. just seems like a lame duck laptop.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Glad I bought my 12" PB when I did (January). I'm looking forward to the photography stuff. Hopefully, it will be something of use.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Powerbook and PowerMac Updates - October 19th?

Appleinsider provides a report in which they describe the much anticipated Powerbook and PowerMac updates.

According to the rumor site, the Powerbook G4 updates have been delayed due to several small issues. At the heart of the Powerbook updates are updated display resolutions for High Definition displays, DDR2 memory, larger hard drives, and a new chipset. Processor speed may not be upgraded at all with this Powerbook revision. The date for the update is reported to be October 19th.

PowerMacs are also expected, possibly on the same day. The systems are expected to be based on the Dual Core IBM 970MP processor which was announced in July. The new PowerMacs are said to feature Dual processors (for a total of 4 processor cores), PCI-E, and dual-layer SuperDrives.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Good timing - my company needs 2 new PowerMacs - credit card is waiting. PowerBooks? whatever. I'll be waiting for Rev B/C Intel.

fklehman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Newark, DE
The last PPC PB revision can be summed up as a skeleton crew manning a sinking ship: not enough manpower, not enough resources to solve the problems. Now we're not even upgrading to the 7448???!!! Apple apparently was waiting all this time for the 7448 to be available in quantity, but I'm betting they've done nothing else productive with all that time. No attempt to do PCI-express, etc. So we'll end up with the same updated components that we could have had weeks ago--ATI 9800, 7200rpm HHD, etc.--and not even a 7448, for all the extra waiting. If Apple still gave a crap about the PB maybe they would have had enough people and resources to overcome the apparent 7448 reliability problems and maybe even do PCI-express. Now, however, we're looking at getting the same sucker bump we could have had weeks ago, since Apple didn't even put enough resources into making a pin-compatible CPU upgrade work. Apple has somehow managed to be both shortsighted and too forward thinking (think Intel) at the same time. The 7448 was the one part of the PB revision everyone pretty much took for granted, but Apple has proved so negligent, and thus so incompetent, that now we are stuck at 1.67 gHz with the current 7447A and its 166 FSB.

If Appleinsider is right about the 7448, I'm calling this debacle the 2005 PowerBook Speed Dump. That being said, let's not le the PB anger flood the thread--the new PMs sound awesome and I am now seriously considering buying one of those instead. I'll go have some kool-aid and calm down.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
The PowerMac is now the last best hope for mankind...or something like that.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
hell, i'd still be happy with a new 17" just for the fact of a higher res display. everything i do with my powerbook suits my needs just fine and dandy. if you need something that has some balls, definitely go with a powermac.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
It's not gonna happen. Powerbooks will never be updated again, can't you all see? We're gonna be stuck with these models for THE REST OF ETERNITY!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.