Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
This will most likely be the last update until they swap out the procs so whats the big deal if theres not going to be a speed bump. If they had a better GPU, higer res, bigger harddrive and keep it at the same price thats awesome news. Why even bother with a 5% speed boost on a chip your going to get rid of in a few months.

This update is all about the gravy. :cool:

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
ipacmm said:
Well I hope that they do come out with a dual core Power Mac next week because I need one.

me too, i've been waiting a while. I wish they'd make a widescreen 12" PB too, then i'd ditch my 15 incher and get a powermac and that. But i'm happy with just a DUAL DUAL CORE PM, SWEET!

fklehman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Newark, DE
Dr. Dastardly said:
This will most likely be the last update until they swap out the procs so whats the big deal if theres not going to be a speed bump. If they had a better GPU, higer res, bigger harddrive and keep it at the same price thats awesome news. Why even bother with a 5% speed boost on a chip your going to get rid of in a few months.

This update is all about the gravy. :cool:

I agree to an extent...my biggest wish is PCI-X graphics, but I somehow doubt the PB will get it. More likely we'll get an ATI 9800 that doesn't require additional R&D. I still would have liked to see the 7448, because although the actual gHz increase is pathetic the chip does have a 200 mHz FSB compared to the 167 FSB in the 7447A. The 7448 also reportedly uses much less power, which bodes well for heat and battery. It also would make slightly better use of the DDR2 ram, although even the 7448 wouldn't be able to use it to its full advantage. The DDR2 seems overkill to me, like something Apple threw in because it was easy and because it made the update look a little more "full," especially if we find ourselves stuck at 1.67 gHz 7447As until Intel.

PowerBook Speed Dump 2005

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Music_Producer said:
I mean, seriously.. don't all of you know that Apple will launch PBs with Intel chips in 2006..
Apple actually announced that they will come out in 2006.

Since when did Apple announce that PB's would have Intel chips in 2006.

They said they were transitioning to Intel and that the first Intel based Macs would be in the market by June 2006. Could be any Mac not necessarily PB. I don't doubt that Apple will release an Intel PB in 2006, but it could be 4th qtr 2006 if they want to use the next gen Intel chips.

Also video, graphics, and scientific professionals will need native x86 software. So when will that be released. I doubt that major vendors are all fired up about spending money and time to re-write for x86 Mac code for a miniscule market in 2006. Besides rosetta will be able to emulate a G3 processor, that should satisfy the pro until native x86 code is released. "Yeah Right"

There are many reasons to want or need an updated PPC PB, being a whinny baby is not one of them. After all the current PPC PB is extremely long in the tooth and is in need of an update or at least a big price drop.

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Face it. Apple knew quite a while ago that the IBM stuff just wasn't going to cut it. Since then, they stopped working on new pro hardware designs for obvious reasons.

What is unfortunate for the PowerMac is that it seems to have been designed as big as a barn with a gazillion square feet for cooling equipment. There was a tremendous engineering effort to account for the sun like heat creation of the G5. We really never got to see just why the PM was made to be so big and I kind of think in the end this was a good thing.

I look forward to the Intel switch if for no other reason than Apple will again be able to showcase a new case design for the PM. The PB's already look great but I am still excited by what surely will be thinner and sleeker looks and possibly the most current processor.

It will be difficult to see a new speed bump for one more iteration (at least) for the PM. The switch can't happen soon enough in my opinion.

spade

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2005
Bear Flag Republic
I'll pipe in and say I'm also a proud owner of the last rev 12 inch 1.5. I for one hope it'll be the last, I've always wanted a smaller Powerbook, maybe 10 inch. I want a very portable machine with some power. The 12 inch has been wonderful and really a very good machine.

If Apple keeps coming out with new products, what will they show at MWSF?

gorbster

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2005
Of course...

In an impatient fury, I bought a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz last night, after waiting / expecting them to update the pro models this week (and being disappointed).

Here's to hoping I'm eligible to any price adjustments should these machines be updated within 14 days, knocking the model I just purchased off retail shelves.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
This latest AppleInsider rumor sounds bogus. If Apple were stealing personel from the PPC lines to work on the Intel lines then how do you explain the substancially updated iMac.

New housing, isite, remote, PCI-E bus, ATI X600 gpu, etc.

Also Apple would not go through all the trouble to fit the PB with an Intrepid 2 chipset, convert to DDR2, and leave the same processor. I thought that the intrepid 2 chipset was the chipset that incorporated a PCI-E bus.

So they go through all of this major engineering and leave the CPU alone. I don't buy it!

Apple knows this is the last update before Intel and that it needs to be relatively stout to keep sales up for the next 9-12 months.

WRXHokie

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
Gotha, FL
Havnt we learned from this weeks mess that all these rumor sites know ***** about what really is going on.

They'll be updates when there are updates. This is why the lord created release dates :D . Thus this madness would stop. I dont know why apple only updates their machines once a year, its a backwards way to do things.

ajwitte

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
digitalbiker said:
Apple would not go through all the trouble to fit the PB with an Intrepid 2 chipset, convert to DDR2, and leave the same processor. I thought that the intrepid 2 chipset was the chipset that incorporated a PCI-E bus.

Now that you mention it, this sounds a little fishy:

...plagued by bugs in the Intrepid 2 chipset that were causing systems to underperform...

followed by:

...the new PowerBooks are said to sport DDR2 memory (and the Intrepid 2 chipset)...

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
ajwitte said:
x86 minis.
EDIT: or iBooks.
The iMedia Center. The "Little Black Box" that does EVERYTHING.

WRXHokie said:
Havnt we learned from this weeks mess that all these rumor sites know ***** about what really is going on.

They'll be updates when there are updates. This is why the lord created release dates :D . Thus this madness would stop. I dont know why apple only updates their machines once a year, its a backwards way to do things.
And there will be rumors because there are rumors, rumor sites and people who love them and hate them. This type of marketing and advertising cannot be bought at any price. Microsoft wishes they had anything similar to what Apple enjoys in these forums.

fklehman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Newark, DE
WRXHokie said:

Yeah but but <sputters> without rumors sites how would we know when we should wait indefinitely?! :eek:

iQuit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
Los Angeles
It is coming...

New Powerbooks are coming, as to when is questionable. Why is it taking so long? They want to make the last and final PPC PowerBook a hit, and to make a hit right when the holidays come. They want to perfect it so that it will be a great machine for say a year until the Intel PowerBooks are released. Steve said himself "Great PPC products in the pipeline." The new iMac was just released which was a lot of development and they aren't going to give up due to technical standbacks by the processor. The Freescale is in fact not a faster processor in GHz, but it has a faster frontside bus...which will increase speeds I'd say 5-15%. Not to mention it is cooler, and has less power consumption which would make a longer lasting PPC PowerBook; especially with a better battery. The PowerBook also incorporates DDR2 memory which with the current processor cannot be taken advantage of. Why did they do this? Because they WILL update it sooner or later and the new processor will be able to take more advantage of the memory and with a speedier frontside bus. I have also been told by some people that the current PowerBook is fully capable of a PCI-X graphics card and therefore an HD PowerBook may come. I also think Apple is perfecting the HD aspect and form factor, as well as adding new features that we may not know about. I want a PowerBook too, I have been waiting since March. The truth is, it will come...just we have to be patient. An iSight built into the upper part of the display wouldn't be such a bad idea either. :p

(Edit)

The iPod is now available in a regular edition as black, something we thought would never hit the production lines...thinking about a PowerBook in black?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Impatient

gorbster said:
In an impatient fury, I bought a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz last night, after waiting / expecting them to update the pro models this week (and being disappointed).

Here's to hoping I'm eligible to any price adjustments should these machines be updated within 14 days, knocking the model I just purchased off retail shelves.

I also gave in and ordered yesterday, a Dual 2.0 from the Refurbished Store. Down from £1349 to £979. It landed in the UK earlier today, hopefully I'll get it tomorrow.

If anything really special comes out next week I suppose I could cough up the £40 re-stocking fee.

Talcott

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2005
illegalprelude said:
man I would love a new PowerMac G5. please apple? gimme more juice so its worth for me to upgrade.

I've been waiting to upgrade my sawtooth 400 for a year. I wanted to so

bad at the last revision, but it was terribly dissapointing. Soo....

here I wait again....... :rolleyes:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Talcott said:

I know what you mean about being disappointed. IF they do release dual dual core systems, I'll be ordering one as soon as the Apple store web site lets me.

darwin022

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
DC
I have heard, yes, just heard, from a seemingly reliable source (he was right last week when he said "Oct 12 will be summed up with 1 word: video"), that we won't get powerbook updates.

Apparently whatever has been in the works is about to go into production and they are trying to get rid of the normal rev-A plague. He claims: "no powerbook upgrades until January, then, whoa"

That's all he'd say and I'd LOVE to prove him wrong, but I fear he is probably right.

I asked him for a no-BS answer as to whether or not he knew when the update would come as I need to get a new pbook very very soon (like this week).

jedijoe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Boulder, CO
PowerMac: Estimated Shipping

Anyone notice @ the apple store,

Estimated Ship: 3-5 business days

on all PowerMac models....

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
If they are not gonna give us a decent update then they should at least drop the price significantly!! The current prices are ridiculous, yes there is the apple premium but $2299 for the top PB 15" ??? with that specs? I really wanna see a sales report about PB's, am sure they are piling up unwanted in some warehouse. :rolleyes:

Also about the rumored new monitor resolutions, 1920x1200 on a 17"?? Are they nuts? Am using 1920x1200 on my 23'' cinema and sometimes i really strain my eyes when i especially have to focus on small objects. The resolution is fine, just make them brighter!!

Yes, i understant that Apple wants to sell me a PB more than i want one and that there is a good reason that we don't have them. The real reason am abit pissed is because is the first time am being limited by technology and is affecting my work. The PB as great as it is just aint got the balls to do what i want, and since i don't see any more coming out of the G4, am basically stuck without a laptop till the transition :(

And no!!....i aint buying some kind of vaio crap just to make a statement of how pissed i am or i don't know what, as some fellow users have said in some forums... because then i'll calm down and realize am stuck with it :eek: :D ! patience.... :cool:

ArizonaKid

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
Arizona
I'll Wait Till x86

Lame Update.

I am glad I traded my PowerBook in for a ThinkPad. If these updates are true, then this is a very very lame system.

It's really a shame, such a great computer, good OS, but crappy crappy insides.

As far as Apple is concerned. I won't be back on the platform until the move to x86 is matured. Just wake me up when the Yonah PowerBooks are ready.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Talcott said:

Well the waiting could be worth it if they are dual core dual processors all around. That would be one fast computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.