Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
ajwitte said:
There had better be serious price drops if the specs change so little.
Apple won't drop the price when they are upgrading the resolution, bigger hard drive, DDR2 memory, etc., regardless of the lack of speedbumps. The lack of speed increases, however, may very well explain why they were not included in the previous special event. Seems wiser on the part of Apple to keep it a lower-key introduction.

fklehman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Newark, DE
ajwitte said:
Known fake.

Yup. Notice there's still an nVidia symbol next to the ATI symbol, even though the alleged GPU upgrade is X800s across the line. Looks like the reflections from the screens don't match either, although I could be wrong. Wow, wouldn't an X800 make the 12" a monster though. That little b***ard would be drunk with power.

ajwitte

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Mr Maui said:
Apple won't drop the price when they are upgrading the resolution, bigger hard drive, DDR2 memory, etc., regardless of the lack of speedbumps. The lack of speed increases, however, may very well explain why they were not included in the previous special event. Seems wiser on the part of Apple to keep it a lower-key introduction.

DDR2 is NOT an upgrade. At least not a substantial one. Sure it uses slightly less power, but even plain DDR is too fast for the G4 with the 167MHz bus. It will not provide any speed increase. Plus, AFAIK, DDR2 RAM upgrades cost more.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
If you read the Appleinsider article, you will see they expect minimal (maybe no) updates to the 12-inch. I am pretty disappointed in this.

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
ajwitte said:
DDR2 is NOT an upgrade. At least not a substantial one. Sure it uses slightly less power, but even plain DDR is too fast for the G4 with the 167MHz bus. It will not provide any speed increase. Plus, AFAIK, DDR2 RAM upgrades cost more.
I understand this, but Apple will not lower the price with things that are different, or better, in the new lineup. JMO ;)

powerbook911 said:
If you read the Appleinsider article, you will see they expect minimal (maybe no) updates to the 12-inch. I am pretty disappointed in this.
Rumors may be right when they hint that the 12" is on the verge of being EOL'd. The 12" iBook and 14" iBook are too competive with the 12" Powerbook. They probably outsell it too. Won't swear to that one though.

fklehman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Newark, DE
pdpfilms said:
It's not gonna happen. Powerbooks will never be updated again, can't you all see? We're gonna be stuck with these models for THE REST OF ETERNITY!

LOL...if you were to die now and go to Hell, Satan would be grinning amidst the brimstone, holding out a 15" 1.67 gHz in his big red claws, and promising a .03 gHz sucker bump every 9 months. Oh, and Satan would be wearing a black turtleneck and spectacles even though its like 900 million degrees down there.

On a serious note--the USB dongle modem on the new iMac kind of pissed me off...they wouldn't do that with the PB would they?

Edit: changed .3 gHz to .03 gHz.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Mr Maui said:
I understand this, but Apple will not lower the price with things that are different, or better, in the new lineup. JMO ;)

Rumors may be right when they hint that the 12" is on the verge of being EOL'd. The 12" iBook and 14" iBook are too competive with the 12" Powerbook. They probably outsell it too. Won't swear to that one though.

It is so disappointing, for me. The 12-inch Powerbook allows me to have a light machine, but at my desk I can have a 20-inch display. You cannot do this, with the iBook.

Do you think a smaller than 15-inch Powerbook will return, when the Intel Powerbooks arrive?

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
fklehman said:
LOL...if you were to die now and go to Hell, Satan would be grinning amidst the brimstone, holding out a 15" 1.67 gHz in his big red claws, and promising a .3 gHz sucker bump every 9 months. Oh, and Satan would be wearing a black turtleneck and spectacles even though its like 900 million degrees down there.

On a serious note--the USB dongle modem on the new iMac kind of pissed me off...they wouldn't do that with the PB would they?
People would love a .3 GHz upgrade ... methinks you meant the .03 GHz that is being rumored as a small possibility. :D

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
powerbook911 said:

i bought my gf the same powerbook you have right, the 12" 1.5 superdrive. it is an awesome little computer. in fact, i am using it because i sold my 15" and am waiting for the new powerbooks to be released so i can buy my 17" FINALLY! =)

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
Whats up with the PB whinning and the power hungry freaks?

I mean, seriously.. don't all of you know that Apple will launch PBs with Intel chips in 2006.. I cannot believe how many people just cry and cry "Waaaahhh no powerbooks!" The main reason why they are moving to Intel (besides pricing) is the heat issue.. and thats why there will be no powerbook updates!! So relax..geez..comments like "Thats it.. i am not waiting for a powerbook anymore" are so stupid because, hello.. Apple actually announced that they will come out in 2006.

In my profession, we have been using powerbooks that are 2-3 years old and they are more than adequate for all kinds of audio/video work.. you have to have good peripherals like SCSI drives to make it rock. So I am curious as to what kind of power users are out here.. who keep lusting for the latest powerbook. Same with the PMG5.. studios still use G4 powermacs ..maxed out and they handle audio/video applications with ease.

So, are you lusting for a power increase in the PBooks/PMs because of.. what? Its like a bunch of people who look at the newest Porsche and go "Oh yeah!! nice update!!!" and if you ask them "Are you going to buy this?" they go "No, we just like to comment and whine..."

Or are you just a bunch of super rich kids who dump their current computers as soon as a new update comes out and splurge..

:)

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
powerbook911 said:
It is so disappointing, for me. The 12-inch Powerbook allows me to have a light machine, but at my desk I can have a 20-inch display. You cannot do this, with the iBook.

Do you think a smaller than 15-inch Powerbook will return, when the Intel Powerbooks arrive?
Some rumors have talked about a 13"-13.3" wide possibly appearing, but can't even begin to presume that at this time. Steve will do what he believes will continue to make Apple lots of money.

dberg

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2005
same old rumor

we have been hearing this every week from a different rumor site and they are *never* right. Its getting tiresome already. Every week "sources" claim to have information on a "soon to be released" PPC upgrade.

Enough already , talk is cheap !

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Apple, the iPod company

cgundlach said:
Apple makes computers?! I just thought they made iPods.

:eek:

Apple has stoped their work on great computer designs years ago. Every once in a while they appear to come out of their shell. The original G5 PowerMac was great, but they basically have left it where it was 2+ years ago. The iMac G5 has been a good idea, but it is being held back so that it stays slower than the PowerMac. The PowerBook was was great when it first came out years ago. Then Apple basically let it die. They've made some good looking PowerBooks since then, but the current design shows that they do not care for the higher end Mac Users, other than for the premium price they are willing to pay for a product that generally is not a premium item.

This high end that Apple has basically only supported in price is the reason Steve Jobs gave for cancelling the Mac Clones years ago. The only possible advantage of having Intel Macs will be that maybe someone will be able to make a Mac Clone whether Apple likes it or not. I'm sure that IBM didn't like all of those IBM Clones. The main problem we'll have will be because of tghe small market share the Mac has will keep most companies from doing the Mac Clone thing.

And who wants the new iPod with the no FireWire connector, the smaller capacity video iPods compared to the regular iPod & the smaller capacity iPod nano compared to the iPod Mini that it replaced in price but not size?

Bill the TaxMan

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
Mac_Freak said:
Lets take a look at my avatar to see what direction those rumors are going. ;)
Stop it pointing downward and we'll be CLOSE. :D (along with most Powerbook rumors)

Speaking of Avatars, what program can I use to create an animated Avatar. Are they animated GIFs? Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to some of this stuff. Just got my Avatar-ability yesterday. YAY!

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
generik said:
1. 2Ghz
2. Increased screen rez
3. Built in iSight possibly...

Or maybe just one big disappointment :(
1. Doubt it.
2. Possibly to likely.
3. Doubt it.

Last ... Probably ... :D

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
isight

Maybe an isight for the new PB??? :D :D
I'd really like to see a stellar PPC PB before the intel switch.

What if..... Apple is holding back on it's pro line until the intel switch.

This will encourage more pro users to enjoy the intel machines when they are available - and the upgrades the pros are dying for are available (faster processors, cooler machines...). Could be a very shrewd move on Apple's behalf.

Of course in the mean time lots of folks are frusterated.

EDIT: generic beat me to the punch on the stupid isight joke.

fklehman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Newark, DE
Mr Maui said:
People would love a .3 GHz upgrade ... methinks you meant the .03 GHz that is being rumored as a small possibility. :D

My fault, my fault, forgot the PLACEHOLDING ZERO that makes the whole thing a cruel joke...yeah, we're all waiting with baited breath. Please Apple, come through with our .03 gHz sucker bump!

To sucker bump or speed dump, that is the question...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.