Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Sorry for reposting, but here is the new survey. This way here we can look at individual responses and analyze. Funny thing is my % is at 100 standby after 50 minutes where as before it would be 96% ...

Alright here it is. I know Im going to get blasted for reposting!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WGR6F68

Last edited:

ajt1995

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Don't mean to be a pain, but there should be an option for "I left all of my location settings on".

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Yes definitely .. Just wanted to wait until more people responded but what the hell :) I will post a link in a sec on my Mac

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Results based on users who reported bad battery life

View attachment BadBattery.pdf

Basically whomever reported bad battery life, this summary will show you other things they are currently doing/ using on a regular basis that might have an effect on these results

Last edited:

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
The survey has four issues.

1) It doesn't account for dynamic battery usage. Some people's phones are fine when in standby, but start going down rapidly once the screen is being used, even if it's just light surfing. And don't get me started on using the camera - a 15 minute photo session will see a drop of 20% or more. I know this is because the phone is being pushed more, but I have seen people go through a day of light surfing and tweeting and arrive home with around 80% battery, whereas I'm usually down to 35% or so.

2) There is no option for "I have location services disabled in general" only for individual apps, what am I supposed to answer?

3) Signal strength varies from place to place, the question is a bit limited.

4) Why am I required to answer a question that begins "If NO to the previous question..." when I answered yes to the previous question? This may distort results as some people may appear to have enabled a feature when in fact they disabled it.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Right now based on finding results are a little wishy washy, like for instance..60% of people who reported bad battery life made a clean install! It has been said that if you clean install battery life will be better as apposed to someone who didnt. But within the same report, if you look at signal strength, 50% of those people said that there signal strength was medium and 60% said that they don't disable automatic app updates. Some of those could be factors, or maybe not!

Last edited:

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012

1) It doesn't account for dynamic battery usage. Some people's phones are fine when in standby, but start going down rapidly once the screen is being used, even if it's just light surfing. And don't get me started on using the camera - a 15 minute photo session will see a drop of 20% or more. I know this is because the phone is being pushed more, but I have seen people go through a day of light surfing and tweeting and arrive home with around 80% battery, whereas I'm usually down to 35% or so.

2) There is no option for "I have location services disabled in general" only for individual apps, what am I supposed to answer?

4) Why am I required to answer a question that begins "If NO to the previous question..." when I answered yes to the previous question? This may distort results as some people may appear to have enabled a feature when in fact they disabled it.

Ok so I looked it over and changed most of the things you addressed, the only thing is not many people look at their signal strength, if they are anything like me..so thats why I didnt expand on that question. It is hard to come up with a reliable answer to that question. You are right about the signal strength..it changes from time to time and that can definitely effect things.. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Ok so I looked it over and changed most of the things you addressed, the only thing is not many people look at their signal strength, if they are anything like me..so thats why I didnt expand on that question. It is hard to come up with a reliable answer to that question. Any suggestions?

"When you are using your phone most, are you in an area of...
a) Extremely low signal strength (No Service - 1 bar)
b) Low signal strength (1 - 2 bars)
c) Medium signal strength (around 3 bars)
d) High signal strength (4 - 5 bars)"

I do look at my signal strength, really. I know the deadzones at my college.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012

Because I cant change the question and add an "all" (my bad) people will just have to click all the apply. So for example if they have all services disabled, they would click camera, maps, siri etc...

----------

"When you are using your phone most, are you in an area of...
a) Extremely low signal strength (No Service - 1 bar)
b) Low signal strength (1 - 2 bars)
c) Medium signal strength (around 3 bars)
d) High signal strength (4 - 5 bars)"

I do look at my signal strength, really. I know the deadzones at my college.

Perfect! I will add! :)

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
3) Signal strength varies from place to place, the question is a bit limited . . .

I don't see how this point is relevant.

Of course I understand that signal strength affects battery life as the device will continue to poll to search for a better signal.

Aren't we over complicating this whole battery thing, however?

Surely it should be more simple. For example, running the latest release of iOS 6, I was able to get through a full day without charging 90% of the time anyway.

Now, with the same usage patterns, I need to charge twice a day.

So I need to investigate whether there are any user settings I can change to improve this, ideally without losing the functionality I've always enjoyed to date.

Other external factors such as signal strength were a slight issue for me before the beta and continue to be now, so are not relevant for the comparison as nothing has changed.

[I realise some apps may perform differently under iOS 7 and could require an update to address glitches that may affect power consumption]

Last edited:

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
I don't see how this point is relevant.

Of course I understand that signal strength affects battery life as the device will continue to poll to search for a better signal.

Aren't we over complicating this whole battery thing, however?

Surely it should be more simple. For example, running the latest release of iOS 6, I was able to get through a full day without charging 90% of the time anyway.

Now, with the same usage patterns, I need to charge twice a day.

So I need to investigate whether there are any user settings I can change to improve this, ideally without losing the functionality I've always enjoyed to date.

Other external factors such as signal strength were a slight issue for me before the beta and continue to be now, so are not relevant for the comparison as nothing has changed.

The thing is, its not that simple. Maybe for you the signal strength hasnt changed your battery life. And yes, you for example, may need to charge twice a day but another person may have to charge 3 or maybe just once. The thing is it depends on variable factors. Ive noticed from many threads, especially ones with people that have battery issues, their outcomes are all over the place.

Some people will have great battery life with high usage, and others will have bad battery life with low usage! So I do once again..understand that this is a beta and there are many factors that come into play here..but thats what the survey is for.

It may mean s*** really, but it was just something I wanted to try out and give insight to others wondering about it. It started when I noticed my battery was drained by me doing practically nothing. Ive tried other betas, but they never had this many inconsistencies when comparing a wide variety of people!

Funny thing is, my battery life is way better today than it was earlier...maybe its because I changed my diagnostics and usage to NOT send. My signal strength has been "low-medium" this whole time.. I have 85% battery, 4 hours standby and 1.5 hours light usage! That can also change by tomorrow, given the same circumstances. Who knows.

----------

I will report back here tomorrow on the findings. Right now there are 29 people who have taken the survey!

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Also for the first time in the history of my ownership of an iDevice, I have to make sure I have a charger with me when I leave the house... too many scary reports of people's iPhone bricking after dying at 0% battery.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Also for the first time in the history of my ownership of an iDevice, I have to make sure I have a charger with me when I leave the house... too many scary reports of people's iPhone bricking after dying at 0% battery.

What do you mean??? Ive never heard of these reports. Dont scare me now LOL

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Yes but my phone died and I wasn't able to turn it on using the on button. What I had to do was press the on and home button at the same time and it finally worked! I almost have myself a heart attack because I thought my new iPhone 5 was finished!! But it's probably a bug obviously! I haven't read all these posts and maybe some of them did something wrong or whatever the case may be!

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Yes but my phone died and I wasn't able to turn it on using the on button. What I had to do was press the on and home button at the same time and it finally worked! I almost have myself a heart attack because I thought my new iPhone 5 was finished!! But it's probably a bug obviously! I haven't read all these posts and maybe some of them did something wrong or whatever the case may be!

Indeed that has been an oft-posted solution. Still, I'm not taking any chances!

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Indeed that has been an oft-posted solution. Still, I'm not taking any chances!

Oh I hear you! These phones aren't cheap and after being with android for a short time, And flashing beta roms all the time, I feel safer doing it with iPhone than I did with android.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
The thing is, its not that simple. Maybe for you the signal strength hasnt changed your battery life. And yes, you for example, may need to charge twice a day but another person may have to charge 3 or maybe just once . . .

It doesn't matter if a person charges 1, 2 or 3 times a day.

My belief is that for the majority, however many times they charged, if they are using the device the same way and visiting the places they usually go, they will be experiencing worse battery life under the beta than before.

One setting I've been using, as it's a new feature of iOS 7, is the Auto Update of Apps.

Being a new feature, I want to be able to take some advantage of it. So, having had it on for a few days, I'm now going to change patterns and only enable it when I'm charging my phone.

See how much difference that will make.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
It doesn't matter if a person charges 1, 2 or 3 times a day.

My belief is that for the majority, however many times they charged, if they are using the device the same way and visiting the places they usually go, they will be experiencing worse battery life under the beta than before.

One setting I've been using, as it's a new feature of iOS 7, is the Auto Update of Apps.

Being a new feature, I want to be able to take some advantage of it. So, having had it on for a few days, I'm now going to change patterns and only enable it when I'm charging my phone.

See how much difference that will make.

Yah that's a good idea, primarily it's just mapping out and looking at patterns. No one uses their phone the exact same way!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.