PDA

View Full Version : Looking Forward to the 17th

Shrek
Jan 11, 2003, 05:19 PM
Ok, it's been little more than a year since the release of the new flat-panel iMacs. When do you all think that the iMac will updated again? I'm thinking on the 17th, approximately 6 months after the announcement of the 17-inch iMac. What kind hardware do you think it will have and what features do you think it will be loaded with? Here is my prediction:

On upcoming iMacs I would like to see:

1GHz and 1.25GHz clock speeds respectively
Support for DDR
Up to 2GB of RAM
167 MHz Bus Speed
Up to 120GB Hard Drive
19" Screen Option
Expandable AGP Graphics Card Slot
Expandable PCI Sound Card Slot
Bluetooth Built-In
Support for 802.11g Airport Card
Gigabit Ethernet
Firewire 800 & USB 2.0

That would sell a lot of iMacs! A lot more iMacs. This would actually make the iMac line a very profitable one once again (and attract a lot of PC users! :D), but I don't think that it will disrupt sales of PowerMacs too much. PowerMacs will still have many features that iMacs don't have (such as dual processors, support for dual displays, and support for up to four 120GB hard drives).

Personally, I would like to see two 17" models with 1GHz and 1.25GHz processors and two 19" models with 1GHz and 1.25GHz processors respectively and all with Superdrives. And maybe one 15" model with a Superdrive.

EDIT: Though some may say that "if you want all those options a PowerMac would be better" I don't believe that consumers should have to pay $4,000-$5,000+ to get it. I can see the possibility of a $3,000 iMac, but hey, there are many prosumer PCs that cost that much, too. ;)

Feature packed iMacs is the name of the game! :D

Now I'm going to go back and finish watching the Titans game. You just know that I have to watch. ;)

edesignuk
Jan 11, 2003, 05:30 PM
I think that if they did offer the specs you are predicting the iMac would cut a BIG hole in PowerMac sales which wouldn't be good IMO.

benixau
Jan 11, 2003, 05:45 PM
1.25Ghz
dual 1.25Ghz

this is how the people percieve it and how apple markets it. the umbes matter,

but we need those speeds in the imacs to be relfected in higher pmac speeds. oh well., we can only hope .... :)

orthodoc
Jan 11, 2003, 06:15 PM
Shrek: I think these specs would be great. Like I've said before, I don't believe that these specs would hurt pmac sales for several reasons. One, the pmacs have dual processors. Two, they are upgradeable. And three, the pmacs will probably receive faster processors shortly after the iMac update. So, 1.25 GHz would be a sufficient bump after over 1 year of waiting.

I may be asking too much, but I would like to see a faster FSB than 167 MHz. Don't the new 12 inch pbooks have a 233 MHz FSB? Maybe the iMacs could use the same board, while the upgraded pmacs could get 333 MHz FSB from the 17 inch pbooks. (I may have these specs wrong?)

Lastly, I'm not sure Apple would have two 19 inch models only separated by processor speed. People that are willing to pay for 19 inch iMacs will most likely want the faster processors.

Just my opinion. :D

MacUser1
Jan 11, 2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Shrek
Now I'm going to go back and finish watching the Titans game. You just know that I have to watch. ;)

Go Pittsburgh!! :D :D :D

mac15
Jan 11, 2003, 06:54 PM
it must be something with iMacs, on apple.com.au store they have an 8 day wait, I smell and update.
I think upto 1ghz with bluetooth and Airport Extreme. And 17inch screens across the board

Shrek
Jan 11, 2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by MacUser1

Go Pittsburgh!! :D :D :D

Too bad. Titans won by the skin of their teeth in overtime. But I have to say that that was the most exciting football game I have ever seen! GO TITANS!!! ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPERBOWL!!! :D :D :D

Wardofsky
Jan 11, 2003, 07:36 PM
The iMacs are generally aimed at the home user, I agree that it would be cool if all those options would be avaliable but the iMac, and the ones before it were meant to be simple enough to use for someone who has not used one before.

Don't hate me for this.

If you need something with all those options, you'll be a pro user so a G4 Quad Exhaust would help.

I'm open for comments that kick me to the ground.

iJon
Jan 11, 2003, 07:55 PM
Expandable AGP Graphics Card Slot

Expandable PCI Sound Card Slot

exactly how will you go about doing this in that flat panel imac.

iJon

edesignuk
Jan 11, 2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Wardofsky

If you need something with all those options, you'll be a pro user so a G4 Quad Exhaust would help.
Just FYI, the new PowerMac is known better as an MDD (Mirrored Drive Doors) PowerMac :)

Wardofsky
Jan 11, 2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk

Just FYI, the new PowerMac is known better as an MDD (Mirrored Drive Doors) PowerMac :)

Yeah I know that, but quad exhaust sounds cool, so I'm sticking with what I said.

Wardofsky
Jan 11, 2003, 08:15 PM

Yeah I knew, but how much better does Quad Exhaust sound?

Shrek
Jan 11, 2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by iJon

exactly how will you go about doing this in that flat panel imac.

Easy. Build a bigger base. ;)

MacPorter
Jan 11, 2003, 08:24 PM
If you build it, they will come....

edesignuk
Jan 11, 2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Wardofsky

Yeah I knew, but how much better does Quad Exhaust sound?
er...it doesn't IMO, but each to their own.

Shrek
Jan 11, 2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by MacPorter
If you build it, they will come....

Yeah, PC users will come! Especially, uh, PC users like me. :p

Wardofsky
Jan 11, 2003, 08:31 PM

Easy. Build a bigger base. ;)

Then hide it under your desk!!

MacPorter
Jan 11, 2003, 08:34 PM
Speaking of the sound of quad exhaust -

I hope they aren't as loud as some have described. My new DP867 is somewhere in the back of a truck on the way to my house from CA.

I can barely contain myself waiting for the big day. I already have the 15" Studio Display, which is making the wait 10x harder.

My iMac DV 400 is retiring to easier days as a email/kids station.

Mal
Jan 11, 2003, 09:30 PM
We call them the G4 Wind Tunnel or Mirror, but you're right, the extra noise is greatly exaggerated. It is much louder, but still not too bad. Certainly not enough to cut down on speaker quality like some people have said.

Those iMac specs are not too likely, and frankly, I'd rather see cheaper iMacs with similar spec to what they have now than extra power iMacs.

JW

rjrufo
Jan 11, 2003, 09:52 PM
edesignuk, how in the hell do you expect people to concentrate on the thread when you have a 'tar like that?

Wardofsky
Jan 11, 2003, 11:29 PM
Call it what you call it, I'll call it what I call it.

8thDegreeSavage
Jan 12, 2003, 12:55 AM
I like "Quad Nostril" better

Shrek
Jan 13, 2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by 8thDegreeSavage

lol

Ambrose Chapel
Jan 13, 2003, 01:40 PM
Don't the new 12 inch pbooks have a 233 MHz FSB?

The 17" has a 167 bus and the 12" has a 133 bus.

JupiterZen
Jan 13, 2003, 01:53 PM

I thought they were addressed as "Windtunnel" ...

Because the fannoise experience was quite similar

:rolleyes:

imamacguy17
Jan 14, 2003, 09:07 AM
more likely imac solutions

15"
800 MHZ
Nvida GeForce 4 MX
256 MB RAM
133 MHZ FSB
40 Gig HD
CD-RW
($1099)

15"
800 MHZ
Nvida GeForce4 MX
256 MB RAM
133 MHZ FSB
40 Gig HD
Combo drive
($1299)

17"
933 MHZ
Nvida GeForce4 MX
256 MB RAM
133 MHZ FSB
60 Gig HD
Super Drive
($1699)

17"
1GHZ
Radeon 9000
512 MB RAM
133 MHZ FSB
80 Gig HD
Super Drive
FW800
($1899)

As pricing goes this is the only scale i see. I dont see them continuing with a top of the line 15 that is identical the 17 I think the will add an addition top of the line and bring the 17 incher more along.

cubist
Jan 14, 2003, 10:47 AM
imamac...17, I agree with you. Right now inventory is such that they are adding models, not replacing models. So it makes sense to add the 17" 1GHz Superdrive as a new top end, and drop the prices on the others.

Same thing could happen on the eMac, but it's less likely.

As for cannibalizing Power Mac sales, I doubt it's much of a concern. Sales are very slow anyway, and people buy towers because they want to add cards and drives. Even if the iMac were faster than the PM, it wouldn't make much difference.

Shrek, your tar seems to have changed to a Titans helmet! I love Steve McNair and Eddie George as much as the next guy (and I loved that 'sunday morning' commercial, but they didn't run it this season), but the Raiders' continued success is worrisome.

Approx
Jan 14, 2003, 02:07 PM
I need a new power mac now... I am returning my MDD because of the noise. And i hoping for a new powermac in feb march, with lower noise.

I only need a computer with low noise and it has to be a mac, i dont want to switch back to pc hell.

I love my MDD but i hate it when i dont play music on it. ;)

Wardofsky
Jan 20, 2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by 8thDegreeSavage

I'd hate to see it sneeze...

4x the damage

JustAGuy
Jan 20, 2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Approx
I need a new power mac now... I am returning my MDD because of the noise. And i hoping for a new powermac in feb march, with lower noise.

I only need a computer with low noise and it has to be a mac, i dont want to switch back to pc hell.

I love my MDD but i hate it when i dont play music on it. ;)

You could always go and do what this guy did: http://home.tiscali.no/hkrabye/G4noise/G4MDDnoise1.html

Personnally, I don't think anyone could make a computer that's quiet enough for my tastes. I have a cube and I've replaced the default HD with a fluid bearing model and I still find it kind of loud. So my next step will be to get a full blown model and put it on the other side of the wall, like this guy did.

Of course, if the next MDDs have a noise level that approached normal, this task would be easier...

JupiterZen
Jan 20, 2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by JustAGuy
You could always go and do what this guy did: http://home.tiscali.no/hkrabye/G4noise/G4MDDnoise1.html

Funny how this guy moved the G4 into his bedroom, while I try to get the noise it makes out of my bedroom. So I can leave it on during the night.

:D :rolleyes: ;)

JupiterZen
Jan 20, 2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Approx

I'm considering getting a Cube to replace my dual 800 Quicksilver. And max the Cube out with the dual 1Ghz or 1.2Ghz upgrade card from Powerlogix.

Biggles
Jan 20, 2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel

The 17" has a 167 bus and the 12" has a 133 bus.

wrong. look for yourself:

JustAGuy
Jan 20, 2003, 09:08 PM
Looks like the image you attached basically sez that the 12" has a 133 bus and the 17" has a 167 bus. Unless there's something I'm missing?

Biggles
Jan 20, 2003, 09:17 PM
where do you see 133 and 167? I see 266 for the 12" model and 333 for the 17"

Unless I'm looking at the wrong specs, I don't even see the number 167 come up (and 133 is only for the 15" model). Correct me if I'm wrong

WannabeSQ
Jan 21, 2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Biggles
where do you see 133 and 167? I see 266 for the 12" model and 333 for the 17"

Unless I'm looking at the wrong specs, I don't even see the number 167 come up (and 133 is only for the 15" model). Correct me if I'm wrong

the 266 and 333 are the DDR ram speeds, the FSB is not DDR capable, so the effective speed is half that of the DDR Ram.

Biggles
Jan 21, 2003, 03:07 PM
i stand corrected