PDA

View Full Version : Failed a drug test and lost job and home

Chacala_Nayarit
Jan 19, 2006, 01:24 PM
I was working and living on a boat, and upon getting accepted full-time into the engineering department the computer pulled three "lucky contestents" to go for drug tests - my name was on the list. :mad:

So now I am camping outside and jobless. Going to check into a shelter tonight. :o

Bottom line: don't smoke crack, it's bad stuff. :eek:

buryyourbrideau
Jan 19, 2006, 01:25 PM
I was working and living on a boat, and upon getting accepted full-time into the engineering department the computer pulled three "lucky contestents" to go for drug tests - my name was on the list. :mad:

So now I am camping outside and jobless. Going to check into a shelter tonight. :o

WTF. that sucks

eva01
Jan 19, 2006, 01:30 PM
what the frack

iGary
Jan 19, 2006, 01:43 PM
Errr??

Cooknn
Jan 19, 2006, 01:53 PM
So, was it crack or heroin (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2008073#post2008073)? If you've done both within the last 30 days, then maybe this will be a lesson hard learned. Time to grow up :cool:

ITASOR
Jan 19, 2006, 01:54 PM
After everything that your brother Alan went through, seeing how devastating it was when he life was cut short, you would still make a terrible choice and smoke crack? Sorry, but you're an idiot. I hate being so blatantly mean to people, but wow, you're a freaking idiot.

And you're camping outside jobless, yet you find time to post something on MacRumors? With what internet connection? And you haven't sold your computer yet to buy some more drugs?

You need serious help, man.

Cooknn
Jan 19, 2006, 01:56 PM
And you're camping outside jobless, yet you find time to post something on MacRumors? With what internet connection?Heh. Yeah, something doesn't add up...

freeny
Jan 19, 2006, 02:11 PM
There goes my smoke more crack to move up in this world plan:confused:

R.I.P. Allan:(

LethalWolfe
Jan 19, 2006, 02:15 PM
Funny. Similar thing happened to me recently. Although I didn't fail a drug. I lit the office on fire. And I wasn't high on crack. I was drunk on vodka. And I didn't camp outside to post on the internet. I posted from my jail cell w/my Treo that I smuggled in up my rectum.

So, I guess in retrospect, it's really not similar at all.

Lethal

eva01
Jan 19, 2006, 02:15 PM

R.I.P. Allan:(

oh you just have to do a better job at smoking crack than he did, thats it.

iBlue
Jan 19, 2006, 02:20 PM
umm? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll) what is the motivation for posting this? i mean really?! most "real" drug addicts i know don't openly admit it... let alone post about it on an internet forum. (and after losing a job or home to boot) :rolleyes:
get help, for whatever your issues are: get help.

Cooknn
Jan 19, 2006, 02:29 PM

R.I.P. Allan:(Freeny your 'tar always puts me in a trance :eek: What a babe!

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 19, 2006, 02:40 PM
Why cant people just be happy with weed.:cool:

freeny
Jan 19, 2006, 02:40 PM
Freeny your 'tar always puts me in a trance :eek: What a babe!
Thanks. Its not that she's all that hot, its all about her expressions.

floyde
Jan 19, 2006, 02:41 PM
Freeny your 'tar always puts me in a trance :eek: What a babe!
Join the club! Apparently, she has her own MySpace account (http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=1326928&Mytoken=20050314125249). You can add yourself to the list of stalkers ;) :D

Anyway, sorry about the thread-jack, back on topic...

freeny
Jan 19, 2006, 02:48 PM
Join the club! Apparently, she has her own MySpace account (http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=1326928&Mytoken=20050314125249). You can add yourself to the list of stalkers ;) :D
:eek:

DUDE THATS AWESOME!
here are a few pics I grabbed from her site.
here is the original tar too

Okay now back to the thread:o

LethalWolfe
Jan 19, 2006, 02:51 PM

DUDE THATS AWESOME!
here are a few pics I grabbed from her site.

Okay now back to the thread:o

No, I like this version of the thread much better.

Lethal

Chaszmyr
Jan 19, 2006, 02:58 PM
Who else thinks this thread is BS? First of all he's "camping outside" but is posting on MacRumors, and then there's the post he made a few weeks ago about doing heroin all day and night but will never do it again.. Who does heroin all day and night and then never does it again, really? And even if they did, then they're gonna turn around and smoke crack?

aquajet
Jan 19, 2006, 03:05 PM
Sorry, but you're an idiot. I hate being so blatantly mean to people, but wow, you're a freaking idiot.

As a former drug abuser myself, and with a long family history which includes various excesses, I can say that you're entirely incorrect. Even the brilliant can succumb to the evil grip of addiction. This is especially true of crack, a highly addictive drug. The reasons for drug abuse run much deeper than idiocy.

Why cant people just be happy with weed.

But haven't you heard? Marijuana is a gateway drug. :rolleyes:

kainjow
Jan 19, 2006, 03:06 PM
Who else thinks this thread is BS? First of all he's "camping outside" but is posting on MacRumors, and then there's the post he made a few weeks ago about doing heroin all day and night but will never do it again.. Who does heroin all day and night and then never does it again, really? And even if they did, then they're gonna turn around and smoke crack?
yeah it goes from drugs to a hot asian girl... wastelanded? :p

aquajet
Jan 19, 2006, 03:07 PM
Who else thinks this thread is BS?

The OP could be in a public library.

xsedrinam
Jan 19, 2006, 03:07 PM
yeah it goes from drugs to a hot asian girl... wastelanded? :p
Yep...

floyde
Jan 19, 2006, 03:08 PM
No, I like this version of the thread much better.

Lethal
I think it's time for freeny's 'tar to have it's own thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2073257#post2073257). Maybe even its own subforum? :D

freeny
Jan 19, 2006, 03:13 PM
I think it's time for freeny's 'tar to have it's own thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2073257#post2073257). Maybe even its own subforum? :D
Dude I just pissed my pants!:p

CompUser
Jan 19, 2006, 05:04 PM

I have no sympathy for you. Well, acutally I hope that you grow out of your addiction or need to try drugs.

What do you expect?

thedude110
Jan 19, 2006, 05:41 PM
Is there a point to debating whether the OP is being honest? Either way this thread is an obvious call for help -- not just for attention, but for community. Not everyone can reach out plainly and frankly.

Know that there are people here who will listen, Chacala, whatever your story may be.

obeygiant
Jan 19, 2006, 06:39 PM

dude, WTF are you smoking crack? smoke pot, but not crack. c'mon

btw, if youre camping, you must be using your $3000 mac laptop and logged in wirelessly on the $50/month EVDO verizon service to post here right?.... Try not to burn the keyboard with your crack pipe, bra.

reberto
Jan 19, 2006, 06:46 PM
You know what, I don't feel sorry for you. If you do drugs, bad stuff will happen. You brought this on yourself, don't expect sympathy from me.

mac-er
Jan 19, 2006, 07:01 PM
I guess that's karma for someone that advocates shooting police.

aquajet
Jan 19, 2006, 07:06 PM
Way to pile it on, people.

I feel sorry for you, Chacala. But I hope you realize how terrible your situation is. You've lost your job, and your home. And now you've got no place to go beside a shelter. You've really ****ed yourself over. I hope you can get help for yourself. You owe it to yourself and the people around you to take responsibility and get this problem fixed.

PlaceofDis
Jan 19, 2006, 07:07 PM

I feel sorry for you, Chacala. But I hope you realize how terrible your situation is. You've lost your job, and your home. And now you've got no place to go beside a shelter. You've really ****ed yourself over. I hope you can get help for yourself. You owe it to yourself and the people around you to take responsibility and get this problem fixed.

couldn't have said it better myself. thank you aquajet.

ITASOR
Jan 19, 2006, 07:22 PM

Sorry, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but posting on MacRumors about your drug addictions is just plain stupid. No matter who you know on here, how close you feel to them, etc. It's just dumb. This site isn't your counselor. Yes people give advice here and there and help each other out with life issues, yet...did we see the original poster post that he needed help with his life from us? Suggestions from us? Places to reach help from us? No.

I just don't see the point. If you post that you're a drug addict and just screwed up your life on a public forum, what do you expect? People to say "congratulations"? And I mean why? If I was stupid enough to do this to myself, I would feel embarrassed to post it publicly...especially when my "I'm a drug abuser" post has absolutely no point other than to inform us a person we've never met and are probably never going to meet just screwed up his life because he abused drugs. Seems like after what's happened to you, I would have a few things a little higher on my priority list than posting on MacRumors, no matter how much I love it.

Do you see where I'm going? I don't mean to offend you, any other drug abusers, or any former drug abusers that are currently on MacRumors. Had a drug abuser posted, say, a post asking for places to go in their hometown city to get help with their problem, or asked for suggestions on how to mend their life, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I think that's totally fine. We have some great people here on MR and I think they could all put something in and help the person. Yet, what's going to come of publicly denouncing yourself on a forum and posting a topic which you can almost guarantee you're going to get things "piled on".

To me, it sounds like a cry for attention. If that's what's going to help you (attention), than I think you would be better off making some friends around your city that are "clean" and start hanging out with them. Once they get to know you they'll probably try to keep you off the drug...oh...wait a minute...you didn't ask for my help, you just wanted to tell me about your screwed up life so that readers could comment on it? I know that sounds harsh, but it's reality. It really is. I mean what is the person looking for? I just don't understand it. I can read, I can see the remarks suggesting that I'm not making anything better, but seriously...how can you? Like anything some Mac user says on a website is going to influence his decision anyway. If that was true, he would have stopped the drug a long time ago after seeing TV commercials, various anti-drug ads, hearing stories about other drug related tragedies, etc. So, please, think about what I'm saying...like I said, not meant to offend anyone or put anyone down. Just something to think about.

Anyway, that was pretty fun to write, and the best I can do is wish that the OP would get better ASAP and get back onto his life, not addicted to anything.

Ryan

quigleybc
Jan 19, 2006, 07:23 PM
Damn, doesn't crack and coke leave your system within 24 hours?

I don't touch the stuff but that's what I thought.

If that's true then you must of been huffin on the crack pipe before work or the night before.

Weak dude..weak..

Hope things turn around for you.

mjstew33
Jan 19, 2006, 07:28 PM
Some people. I'm an effing 13 year old and even I wouldn't do that... :rolleyes:

aquajet
Jan 19, 2006, 07:29 PM
There's some truth to what you write, ITASOR. But have you ever considered the possiblity that one could get at least some consolation by an anonymous post on the internet?

CanadaRAM
Jan 19, 2006, 07:31 PM
I guess this pretty much obsoletes the thread about who was wrong, the OP for using inappropriately complex language, or the ships engineer who called the OP a jerk for using inappropriate language.

zap2
Jan 19, 2006, 07:32 PM
How does homeless person a a computer with internet
?
(i know it very possible but i want to know how HE has it)

2nyRiggz
Jan 19, 2006, 07:33 PM
sorry to hear man.....and FORREAL....do not smoke crack or any drug. check yourself in to a center.

Bless

ITASOR
Jan 19, 2006, 07:38 PM
There's some truth to what you write, ITASOR. But have you ever considered the possiblity that one could get at least some consolation by an anonymous post on the internet?

Yes, I can see how he would get help. I feel bad about giving the impression that I think it was a total waste to post this. It's just the way he phrased it...it seems more of...like...he's...proud or something, rather than sad and disappointed in himself. It seems like he's almost blowing it off like it's nothing...maybe that's just the way I understood it though.

I guess this pretty much obsoletes the thread about who was wrong, the OP for using inappropriately complex language, or the ships engineer who called the OP a jerk for using inappropriate language.

Is that directed at me? Sorry if you feel that way, but I was just trying to get my point across that I think a help/suggestion thread would make more sense than an announcement thread.

PlaceofDis
Jan 19, 2006, 07:42 PM
Is that directed at me? Sorry if you feel that way, but I was just trying to get my point across that I think a help/suggestion thread would make more sense than an announcement thread.

naw thats pointed at another of th OP's threads no worries there.

ITASOR
Jan 19, 2006, 07:46 PM
naw thats pointed at another of th OP's threads no worries there.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was or not. :o

Counterfit
Jan 19, 2006, 07:51 PM
Actually, it's a Dell drug (http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/02/10/deli.dude.arrest/) :p
ho does heroin all day and night and then never does it again, really?
Good point. If you do that much heroin, you don't really have a choice if you do it again or not, your body will want it either way.

Abstract
Jan 19, 2006, 07:55 PM
Maybe you should start dealing or something to make some money.

It's bad advice, but it sort of fits with what has been said in this thread so far. ;)

aquajet
Jan 19, 2006, 08:06 PM
Actually, it's a Dell drug (http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/02/10/deli.dude.arrest/) :p

Indeed it is. :D

2nyRiggz
Jan 19, 2006, 08:08 PM
So Topic starter, have you sold your computer as yet for that extra cash?

Bless

bousozoku
Jan 19, 2006, 08:42 PM
It's a bit sad that you've lost your job but, considering the circumstances, you probably weren't doing your job well because you were pre-occupied.

Perhaps, it is a great lesson that will save you from further foolishness.

sushi
Jan 19, 2006, 08:42 PM
So, was it crack or heroin (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2008073#post2008073)? If you've done both within the last 30 days, then maybe this will be a lesson hard learned. Time to grow up :cool:
Agree.

Also add Mary Jane to the list. It can linger in your body much longer.

Doing drugs is simply stupid.

LethalWolfe
Jan 19, 2006, 09:49 PM
So Topic starter, have you sold your computer as yet for that extra cash?

Bless

If he did I don't think he's going to be posting back anytime soon...

Lethal

mjstew33
Jan 19, 2006, 10:11 PM
Heh. Yeah, something doesn't add up...
I think you're right.

What if this was a joke . . . . .

If it is . . . I don't even know what to say. :eek: :rolleyes:

Backtothemac
Jan 19, 2006, 10:40 PM
I think you're right.

What if this was a joke . . . . .

If it is . . . I don't even know what to say. :eek: :rolleyes:

Then he should be throttled with a wet hose in a dark alley :)

If it is for real, then I will add you to my prayer list and keep you in my thoughts that you get help and over your problem.

maestro55
Jan 19, 2006, 10:48 PM
I am not going to judge the original poster, but really the context makes me wonder about the whole story. The fact that the OP made a post in another thread about how he had been doing drugs and then posting this. As ITASOR pointed out, it is almost as if the OP is proud of the fact that is he does drugs. Now like I said I won't judge the OP, and frankly I don't care what he does or what he posts here, etc. I just thought this was a strange thread.

I guess we have seen stranger.

macartistkel
Jan 19, 2006, 11:31 PM
I agree that this thread has to be total ********, but I will give my opinion because I am in a really bad mood right now and considering what I went through tonight I have about zero tolerance for idiots. :mad: So if anyone is honestly stupid enough to be a crack smoker, they get what they deserve. It takes about 2 seconds of being around a crack head to figure that out. I don't think society fails these people and I don't feel sorry for them either (and I am a person that feels sorry for almost everything that struggles in this world) but crack heads are a waste of space!

So this is great news, I am happy you lost it ALL....now I can rest a little easier that you have almost nothing to your name. That might make your chances of going out and ****ing up someone else's life a little harder without any vehicle to drive when you are high on crack!

Anyway, on a less serious note...does anyone think Dave Chappelle does the best impressions of a crack head??!!! :D

Thomas Veil
Jan 20, 2006, 12:14 AM
Well, assuming the thread is genuine, I'm not gonna pile on either, because if he already knows how stupid his actions were, what's the point?

And to reiterate...he could've been posting from a library. On the one hand, this thread might be BS; on the other, he hasn't posted again, which makes it seem that he doesn't have that much access to a computer. Who the hell knows?

On a totally unrelated tangent: ITASOR, who is that in your avatar? It looks like Art Modell. :eek: :confused:

Blue Velvet
Jan 20, 2006, 12:27 AM
There's a lot of ugly gloating in this thread.

Jovian9
Jan 20, 2006, 01:00 AM
Damn, doesn't crack and coke leave your system within 24 hours?

I think it's half-life is 24 hours....so it takes more than a day to get it out of your system.

iBlue
Jan 20, 2006, 01:22 AM
I think it's half-life is 24 hours....so it takes more than a day to get it out of your system.

nope, half-life much shorter than that. the total elimination life is about 72 hours though. (for cocaine, heroin, meth, etc) so if one cannot go 3 days without, (amount of time to safely pass a drug test) one is with problem.

Lau
Jan 20, 2006, 03:11 AM

You summed up exactly what I was thinking. :(

macartistkel
Jan 20, 2006, 08:56 AM
You summed up exactly what I was thinking. :(

Oh give me a break....I expressed my true feelings and pure facts about crack heads. Hell I understand people make mistakes....Oprah even admitted to "trying" it.

I realize I might have sounded mean or like I was "gloating" in my post but I was really frustrated last night with other things. Crack heads ruin their own lives and the people around them. ITS SAD, but feeling sorry for them doesn't help because they are sick and need help, but once they are hooked on the stuff there is usually no hope. Ok fine then, lets just blame society instead of the person WHO CHOSE TO DO IT. I personally know a crack head who threw away his family and millions of dollars (not to mention his voice and teeth) to smoke crack all day and night. He was a really nice guy too but I am not going to give sympathy for anyone who doesn't genuinely act like they screwed up or at least admits their shortcomings. This dude is just angry cause he got caught and he needs to hear the truth that unless he stops smoking crack he life will be over. Who knows, maybe that is what he wants??!! Everyone wants to tip toe around people and their issues like that actually helps or something.

Anyway, not my problem, but if ANYONE is going to post personal stuff like this on a message board, then they know damn well that have to read what others think!

Blue Velvet
Jan 20, 2006, 08:58 AM
I realize I might have sounded mean or like I was "gloating" in my post but I was really frustrated last night with other things.[/B]

I don't recall referring to your post.

macartistkel
Jan 20, 2006, 09:04 AM
I don't recall referring to your post.

Ok, thats cool....I am little out of sorts today and I took that comment personally. Its probably because I already felt like I posted something too mean last night anyway! :)

Dagless
Jan 20, 2006, 09:18 AM
I have no sympathy for drug users. Like its been said here, its highly addictive and anyone can succumb to it, which may be true but if you're smart/have morals or anything like that then you just avoid it.

My brothers a huge drug addict, he must be. he's only 16 but on weed, poppers, speed. soon as he gets a full time job he'll be on crack. no question about it. shame as well. he was so smart as a kid, total genius when it came to puzzles. But he took drugs, dropped out of school and now has a job as a panel beater for a garage. no qualifications no future no anything.
not a day goes by that he doesn't scream the house down asking for money, if my parents don't give him money he'll only end up stealing again. lesser of 2 evils and that.

whole point of this post is that I can relate to drugs as its affected my close family. which can only help my opinion more so.

bottom line; drugs are ****. I suspect only users themselves will say otherwise. If you take them regularly then you probably need to find the underlying cause of why you need to be out of reality.

Lau
Jan 20, 2006, 11:25 AM
Oh give me a break....

No, I also wasn't targeting you in particular, hence the agreement to BV's comment of "a lot of" rather than "so-and-so's post is". :confused: <shrugs>

mpw
Jan 20, 2006, 11:42 AM
It sounds as though, while he's done drugs recently, the OP at least realises it's something he shouldn't be doing if he wants to do the things he seems to want to do. Hopefully he'll find the 'strength' to pull himself back and achieve what he wants from life. As for why he posted, maybe he's trying to help out people like the earlier 13year old poster who hasn't done drugs, letting them learn through his mistakes.

No gloating in my post, not like all those other negative posters. I rock!

Sdashiki
Jan 20, 2006, 11:52 AM
I take it NO ONE on this thread attends MIT?

Do you believe to attend MIT you are probably smart?

So you would think that they wouldnt do something stupid?

You know that a percentage of every college study body does drugs of one type or another, right?

My point is, I know for a fact MIT has TONS of drugs coursing thru its veins. I know people who study high, take the test high, and get high scores.

Its not drugs that make you stupid, only you can be stupid.

If you cant "handle" drugs, i.e. cant function as a normal facet of society, and still get along, then you do deserve to be labeled a LOSER.

But dont ever put people who use drugs, and drug addicts in the same category. Plenty of people do drugs, and plenty still function perfectly well.

xsedrinam
Jan 20, 2006, 12:13 PM
Here's what d' Nile looks like from high up. :p

Xacent
Jan 20, 2006, 12:22 PM
While I think that it seems strange to post on MR after losing your job/home/etc after failing a drug test seems strange I am still sympathetic towards the plight of individuals who have a drug problem. Regardless of the veracity of his original post he clearly needs some form of help, though more from the real world and less from our online rantings.

I've had many experiences with drugs in my life starting from heavy drinking at an early age (12). Very heavy drinking and smoking throughout high school and pot and mushrooms throughout my undergraduate career. Smoking pot both before and after (nearly during ;) exams didn't seem as strange then as it does now. I quit smoking pot and doing mushrooms when I started my grad school more as a personal decision than because of trouble with school/work. However even 4 years later I still feel the urge to indulge. This past year I had some health issues that necessitated quitting smoking and abstaining from alcohol. While at the same time I was on strong pain killers (demerol and oxycontin), and I found it very hard to get off them when I didn't need them for pain control anymore. I wouldn't consider myself a drug addict but I can see how easy it would be to slip into a major dependance.

I don't have anything against those who choose to use drugs recreationally and I think that the only real difference between illicit drugs and tobacco and alcohol is their respective legalities. Its my belief that falling into a cycle of drug use and abuse is not as difficult as some would think. If you've never done drugs or had a problem with substance abuse you should count yourself lucky but you shouldn't think that those with these problems are much different from you other than their circumstance. Certainly choice plays into it but sometimes people pay more for their mistakes than the mistake should warrant.

Good luck to the original poster and I hope he finds the help he needs and manages to find a way to escape his habit.

rdowns
Jan 20, 2006, 12:24 PM
Having gone and read a bunch of the OP posts here, all I can do is shrug and move on.

aquajet
Jan 20, 2006, 12:26 PM

You know that a percentage of every college study body does drugs of one type or another, right?

My point is, I know for a fact MIT has TONS of drugs coursing thru its veins. I know people who study high, take the test high, and get high scores.

If you cant "handle" drugs, i.e. cant function as a normal facet of society, and still get along, then you do deserve to be labeled a LOSER.

But dont ever put people who use drugs, and drug addicts in the same category. Plenty of people do drugs, and plenty still function perfectly well.

I'm guessing you're one of those perfectly functioning drug users?

floyde
Jan 20, 2006, 01:22 PM
Here's what d' Nile looks like from high up. :p
It ain't just a river in Egypt, you know...

Thomas Veil
Jan 20, 2006, 02:08 PM
We certainly do have an interesting range of responses, from neutrality to condemnation to justification.

thedude110
Jan 20, 2006, 02:37 PM
It's interesting to me the way our language can actively repress basic, ethical instincts. People say "I have no sympathy for you" because the "you" in this case is almost entirely abstract -- if the "I" spent a day in the life of the "you" (whether that "you" is addicted to drugs or simply desperate for any semblance of attention, I'm just trying to imagine this as concretely as possible), I wonder how this would (and if it would) influence how much sympathy the "I" feels. Ethics here is between two people, but what happens to ethics when one of the people seems less than real -- or worse, less than human?

Same with the cliche "drug addict." There's a huge difference between dismissing someone as a "drug addict" and having to face them as a "person who is addicted to drugs." Our language only grants explicit personhood in the latter case. This is not to challenge anyone's personal experience, but to try to think through why we're using the language we're using.

"I think ... this is what is essential in the human conscience: all men are responsible for one another, and 'I more than anyone else.' One of the most important things for me is this assymetry: all men are responsible for one and another, and I more than everybody." (http://home.pacbell.net/atterton/levinas/)

Speaking of language, I guess it's pretty obvious that Levinas (in the quote above) was an ethicist but not much of a feminist ...

macartistkel
Jan 20, 2006, 03:34 PM
Plenty of people do drugs, and plenty still function perfectly well.

Oh that is funny, they are truly delusional--I have met plenty of druggies that CLAIM they have their s*hit together, (however eventually they **** up something...odds are against them usually). I do believe there is a big difference between certain drugs of choice. I am only discussing crack heads in this particular thread and i have seen nothing but it ending tragicically for them.....now I have a completely different view on potheads. But either way, people can do whatever they want as long as they don't **** with my life or anyone's lives I care about.

Also I meet very few people these days that don't self-medicate themselves in some way. For myself I stay away from all of it! (I am the occassional drinker and even in those cases I don't necessarily get drunk all the time because alcohol makes me crazy and stupid at times as well).

PlaceofDis
Jan 20, 2006, 03:37 PM
(however eventually they **** up something...odds are against them usually).

everyone f-ups at one time or another in their life. thats life.

Lau
Jan 20, 2006, 03:47 PM

Absolutely. And whatever the intentions/situation of the original poster (I haven't come across his posts much before), I would imagine that a lot of people slating him would want a break if they f-upped at some point. For whatever reason. Even if you personally don't agree with drug use, that's not to say you couldn't get into a similar situation due to debt, a relationship/marriage breakup, physical illness, mental illness, crime, stupidity, bad judgement, and a million other reasons that may or may not be your fault. Bad stuff can happen to or be caused by anyone.

That's not aimed at anyone in particular, by the way....

kretzy
Jan 20, 2006, 04:36 PM
I think we all may have been had seeing as the OP has not commented again. Regardless of its genuineness, it has spurred an interesting debate.

I personally feel very little sympathy for drug users. They, like everybody else have the ability to CHOOSE whether they ever try drugs or not. If they end up becoming addicted, then that is truly unfortunate as it has the potential to complete destroy their life. But that initial choice to try drugs was theirs, and nobody else's. If today, with all the education provided to people about drugs and the high exposure of the negative effects of drugs constantly being portrayed in the media, and you still choose to try drugs, you are an idiot. I know several people that grew up in good homes, with loving and caring parents, that got into using drugs and it has really screwed up their lives. This is why I don't buy into the argument of a person's social situation determining their choice to use drugs.

This is just my opinion, and I completely understand that many people who have lived through using drugs will completely disagree. I suppose that is just ignorance on my part, seeing as I've never used anything, but this is what I see from my perspective.

If you really do have a problem, go and get yourself some help and get your life back on track!

pseudobrit
Jan 20, 2006, 07:57 PM
Sorry, and I don't mean to offend anyone...

Yeah. Except the original poster. But he's a ****ing crackhead, so **** him, right?

I just don't see the point...

Then why post here? The guy's down and you kick him some?

Seriously. Some people here are really ****ing sick. I'm gonna go stroke myself now because I've never smoked crack, gone bankrupt, gotten a DUI, wrecked a car, been arrested or sired an illegitimate child. There's so many losers out there and -- look! -- I'm not one of them!

belvdr
Jan 20, 2006, 10:19 PM
<snip>
because I've never smoked crack, gone bankrupt, gotten a DUI, wrecked a car, been arrested or sired an illegitimate child
</snip>

It seems each of those has a choice involved, and bad choices are made. Maybe some are not taught any better, but some turn from those things parents and others tried to teach us, because they think they know more. Ironically, they are just showing their ignorance.

So, if you make bad choices, you experience more trouble and problems.

Thomas Veil
Jan 20, 2006, 10:50 PM
It seems each of those has a choice involved, and bad choices are made. Maybe some are not taught any better, but some turn from those things parents and others tried to teach us, because they think they know more. Ironically, they are just showing their ignorance.

So, if you make bad choices, you experience more trouble and problems.Yeah, but I have to agree with those who say we need to stop being so snotty about it. As someone else pointed out, we all f-up at some time or other.

Kicking other people when they're down...well, if you believe in karma, you know that stuff like that eventually comes back and bites you in the ass.

I do want to make clear I think doing hard drugs is monumentally dumb. But I know some people who've gotten over habits and have stayed clean and are actually very worthwhile people. They just made that one monumentally dumb mistake.

...(I haven't come across his posts much before)...He hangs around the political forum, but in short spurts. Sometimes he'll post three topics in one day, and then nothing again for several weeks.

macartistkel
Jan 20, 2006, 11:06 PM

Oh my gosh, really?? I didn't know that! :rolleyes:

At least I always admit when I **** up---this guy is posting angry faces...he is just mad cause he got caught. I realize when its my own fault and sometimes I am lucky and in most cases I suffer the consequences. I think choosing to smoke crack is just asking for bad things to happen to you.

One of my favorite quotes about MISTAKES is: "It could be the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others!" :D

http://www.despair.com/mis24x30prin.html

maxterpiece
Jan 21, 2006, 12:15 AM
The people who internalize their own fear of making decisions, use those who have made poor decisions as outlets for that internalized frustration.

mac-er
Jan 21, 2006, 12:16 PM
Yeah. Except the original poster. But he's a ****ing crackhead, so **** him, right?

Hell Yeah!

Xacent
Jan 21, 2006, 12:19 PM
<snip>
I personally feel very little sympathy for drug users. They, like everybody else have the ability to CHOOSE whether they ever try drugs or not. If they end up becoming addicted, then that is truly unfortunate as it has the potential to complete destroy their life. But that initial choice to try drugs was theirs, and nobody else's.
<snip>

Unless of course they became dependant on drugs by using perscribed pain killers that they really did need to function while they were ill and then were physically and psychologically addicted too by the time they no longer needed them for pain.

That sort of greys the arguement of, its your fault because you chose to try it.

Its hard to truly understand why someone would make the choice to use drugs unless you've been in their shoes. Probably more so if you're so intellectually and morally superior that you would never do it in the first place.

sushi
Jan 21, 2006, 05:31 PM
Unless of course they became dependant on drugs by using perscribed pain killers that they really did need to function while they were ill and then were physically and psychologically addicted too by the time they no longer needed them for pain.

That sort of greys the arguement of, its your fault because you chose to try it.
Uh no.

Crack, Cocaine and Heroin are drugs of choice.

Being addicted to a prescribed pain killer is another issue.

Nice try.

sushi
Jan 21, 2006, 05:35 PM
True. We all do.

But how we handle these situations is what counts. ...and shows our character.

Those who turn to drugs do it by their own choice.

Dagless
Jan 21, 2006, 06:00 PM
Oh that is funny, they are truly delusional--I have met plenty of druggies that CLAIM they have their s*hit together, (however eventually they **** up something...odds are against them usually). I do believe there is a big difference between certain drugs of choice. I am only discussing crack heads in this particular thread and i have seen nothing but it ending tragicically for them.....now I have a completely different view on potheads. But either way, people can do whatever they want as long as they don't **** with my life or anyone's lives I care about.

Also I meet very few people these days that don't self-medicate themselves in some way. For myself I stay away from all of it! (I am the occassional drinker and even in those cases I don't necessarily get drunk all the time because alcohol makes me crazy and stupid at times as well).

Valid point there. I know drug users who say they have everything sorted but really just have no clue.

Another drug story... My dad caught somebody at work taking drugs over his dinner break. He gave him a second chance, thinking that hey, maybe he won't be so retarded to take drugs in a major printing centre... y'know with about 10 newspapers being produced in a second (one of my dads Australian mates had his whole arm ripped off by a printing press). you gotta be on the ball. Anyways! My dad finds him on drugs AGAIN! so he sacks the bugger :D if something had gone wrong with him drugged up then it'd be my dad in for the blame.

point being... If you're gonna take drugs at work then become an artist, actor or musician or another less-dangerous job.

kretzy
Jan 21, 2006, 06:26 PM
Uh no.

Nice try.

Thanks, I was going to say the same thing.

Its hard to truly understand why someone would make the choice to use drugs unless you've been in their shoes. Probably more so if you're so intellectually and morally superior that you would never do it in the first place.

Yes it is truly difficult to understand, but ultimately it comes down to common sense. Even if I am intellectually and morally superior ( :rolleyes: ), you can't tell me people don't know taking drugs is bad.

emmawu
Jan 21, 2006, 10:31 PM
I think people do drugs like heroin and crack to quell their emotional pain, then become addicted and caught in a bad justice system instead of being offered treatment. I don't like to judge anyone. It's a shame if anyone is wasting their life because they don't get a chance to get straight. Anyway, just my opinion.

Counterfit
Jan 22, 2006, 03:13 AM
point being... If you're gonna take drugs at work then become an artist, actor or musician or another less-dangerous job.
Try telling that to Chet Baker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chet_Baker), or Charlie parker, or Billie Holiday...

And those are just the Jazz people that died from it. Never mind Miles Davis locking himself in a room in his father's barn for a week as self-imposed detox. Or Coltrane.

bemylover
Jan 22, 2006, 04:23 AM
Yeah, it leads to other stuff. Mostly junk food :D

Half Baked is a great movie :)

sushi
Jan 22, 2006, 09:40 AM
Another drug story... My dad caught somebody at work taking drugs over his dinner break. He gave him a second chance, thinking that hey, maybe he won't be so retarded to take drugs in a major printing centre... y'know with about 10 newspapers being produced in a second (one of my dads Australian mates had his whole arm ripped off by a printing press). you gotta be on the ball. Anyways! My dad finds him on drugs AGAIN! so he sacks the bugger :D if something had gone wrong with him drugged up then it'd be my dad in for the blame.
Your dad is more kind than me.

In my old position, if I caught you with drugs you were history...yesterday. Career ended. Try another profession.

The aviation field has no room for drugs of any kind by any of the personnel involved. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

It amazes me the people who try to justify drug use by saying that it will not affect their judgement. BS on that. It's like the drunk who says that they were acting normal when everyone around them knows different.

The use of drugs are a personal choice and a bad one at that.

Sdashiki
Jan 22, 2006, 09:54 AM
Yeah, it leads to other stuff. Mostly junk food :D

Half Baked is a great movie :)

i think some people on here are way too general when they refer to "drug-addicts". they seem to think doing something that is labled illegal makes you a loser or an addict.

many consider marijuana, and sometimes plain ol cocaine, to be recreational drugs. and users dont feel they are "addicts" in the sense people here seem to think about crackheads.

So just understand that its QUITE OBVIOUS from comments on here that considering MARIJUANA a NARCOTIC, is friggen stupid.

eva01
Jan 22, 2006, 10:02 AM
Uh no.

Nice try.

hmmmmm when i was on drugs Cocaine and pain killers were drugs of choice.

I just did pain killers just like i did cocaine.

It was no different between them.

greatdevourer
Jan 22, 2006, 10:16 AM
hmmmmm when i was on drugs Cocaine and pain killers were drugs of choice.

I just did pain killers just like i did cocaine.

It was no different between them. The difference is that you can be prescribed pain killers, and then keep on taking them afterwards, and get into it that way, almost by accident. No-one will prescribe you cocaine

dornoforpyros
Jan 22, 2006, 10:20 AM
And this is why I would never choose to live in staff accommodations (I live in a resort town with lots of employers providing it). Because I feel what I do on my own time, is just that, my own time and none of the employers business.
As long as I show up sober & ready to work how I spent my off time is none of their concern.

greatdevourer
Jan 22, 2006, 10:29 AM

But dont ever put people who use drugs, and drug addicts in the same category. Plenty of people do drugs, and plenty still function perfectly well. Is it just me, or are you condoning drugs? While there may be those who can take it (I'm like that with alcohol - 3 pints, 14 years old and not tipsy :D - may have summat to do with my grandfather's family working at breweries), but just because some can doesn't mean that it's OK

yoak
Jan 22, 2006, 10:44 AM
Uh no.

Nice try.

Uh no

People often find themselfes in abstinence when their prescription runs out, then start to experiment with self medication to ease the pain.

Good luck to the original poster.

RndmAxess
Jan 22, 2006, 11:07 AM
deleted

thedude110
Jan 22, 2006, 11:10 AM
Well said, yoak.

While no one will dispute that drug use is a choice (holy backlash of existentialism), I'm blown away by the fact that no one seems to want to consider the context of the choice that's made.

If people want to argue "You have free choice. Drugs are stupid. You made a stupid choice," fine. But those who would make that argument must grant that it's reductive -- are drugs always a stupid choice, and if so, why are there so many people on drugs?

If we grant that drug use is a choice, we have to grant that people choose to use drugs (i.e. have reasons), despite the likelihood of addiction. Too often this means that they are making this choice because the other choices they could make seem far worse.

There are people in situations who see cocaine or crack as the best possible choice of a set of choices. That you may not be able to imagine yourself in such a situation does nothing to negate not only its day to day reality, but also the day to day desparation of many of those around us.

devilot
Jan 22, 2006, 11:17 AM
I do want to make clear I think doing hard drugs is monumentally dumb.Alcohol isn't typically considered a 'hard drug' and neither is tobacco... but whaddya know, they both kill hundreds if not thousands of people each year.

eva01
Jan 22, 2006, 12:42 PM
Alcohol isn't typically considered a 'hard drug' and neither is tobacco... but whaddya know, they both kill hundreds if not thousands of people each year.

and i believe it is alcohol that is the only drug that can kill people from withdrawal.

Go figure, those legal drugs kill more people in america than narcotics.

And when i first did drugs i didn't think it was a stupid choice.

And even after i stopped doing drugs I still don't think it was a stupid choice.

BakedBeans
Jan 22, 2006, 01:05 PM
Easy to point the finger when your Typing from your £2000 Powermac, sitting on your £300 Executive chair with your central/underfloor heating on in your nice house isnt it?

Drug addiction isnt something you just 'choose' to do..... you know what - forget it

Look, if the OP wants any advice just give me a PM anytime.

pseudobrit
Jan 22, 2006, 05:26 PM
So just understand that its QUITE OBVIOUS from comments on here that considering MARIJUANA a NARCOTIC, is friggen stupid.

Marijuana is not a narcotic.

sushi
Jan 22, 2006, 05:43 PM
Drug addiction isnt something you just 'choose' to do.....
Doing drugs is a personal choice. Period.

And a bad one at that.

You try to make it sound like someone is strapped down and forced to take drugs -- like they have a gun to your head.

We all make personal choices in our lives. Not all choices are good ones. We all make mistakes and must accept responsibility for our actions (mistakes) and get help when we need it.

To recover from a drug problem including alcoholism, one must first accept responsibility for their actions and want to change.

belvdr
Jan 22, 2006, 07:56 PM
Marijuana is not a narcotic.

I always wondered about that as I see police officers on COPS discussing narcotic violations when they were dealing marijuana.

However, it looks like the Merriam-Webster dictionary says it is a narcotic (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/narcotic).

MacEffects
Jan 22, 2006, 08:30 PM
But haven't you heard? Marijuana is a gateway drug. :rolleyes:Marijuana a gateway drug :confused: I know people that have smoked it 2-7 times a week, for over 20 years, and never did anything else... And this not to mention all of those high School kids now of days experimenting with Dope, but they are not all crackheads, actually very few of them try other drugs... But... Well, safe your self the trouble don't use Dope, it really does cause problems, like Anxiety (I have Severe Anxiety its SCARY Stuff), Depression, Mood swings, etc... Drugs are not worth it... No matter what the drug. But yes the smartest of the smart can fall pry to the drugs of this world and its very scary and dangerous.

Lau
Jan 22, 2006, 08:41 PM
I've known people turn into a gibbering wreck from smoking pot.
I've also known people try heroin and do it once or twice, and move on, and not touch it for 20 years.

My point is, that the substance isn't the problem, the person is. If I have sugar, I turn into a irritable aggressive loony. If I smoke pot, I get a bit stoned for a while.

Should I then tell everyone in the world to avoid sweets, sugar, white bread and rice? No, because that's what affects me. I try to avoid them, because they send me crazy, but everyone is affected differently by different substances.

BakedBeans
Jan 23, 2006, 01:33 AM
Doing drugs is a personal choice. Period.

And a bad one at that.

You try to make it sound like someone is strapped down and forced to take drugs -- like they have a gun to your head.

We all make personal choices in our lives. Not all choices are good ones. We all make mistakes and must accept responsibility for our actions (mistakes) and get help when we need it.

To recover from a drug problem including alcoholism, one must first accept responsibility for their actions and want to change.

DOING drugs in the first place - of course, but its not all ways as clear cut as you make out to sound, there is often a huge amount of pressure to take drugs, I have felt that pressure myself but Im a very very strong personality and can handle that pressure - some are not that strong.

ADDICTION on the other hand is something else all together.

pseudobrit
Jan 23, 2006, 07:35 AM
I always wondered about that as I see police officers on COPS discussing narcotic violations when they were dealing marijuana.

However, it looks like the Merriam-Webster dictionary says it is a narcotic (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/narcotic).

Then M-W and you are both wrong.

The term narcotic, derived from the Greek word narkotikos, meaning "benumbing or deadening", originally referred to a variety of substances that induced sleep (such state is narcosis). In the U.S. legal context, narcotic refers to opium, opium derivatives, and their semisynthetic or totally synthetic substitutes. Cocaine and coca leaves, which are classified as "narcotics" in the U.S. Controlled Substances Act (CSA), are chemically not narcotics.
Because the term is often used broadly, inaccurately and/or pejoratively outside medical contexts, most medical professionals prefer the more precise term opioid for all natural, semi-synthetic and synthetic substances that behave pharmacologically like morphine, the primary constituent of natural opium.

Cops will tend to refer to any drugs offence as a "narcotics" violation because the traditional "narcotics" agencies, departments or divisions are/were tasked with enforcing more than just opiates.

That doesn't make cannabis an opiate.

quigleybc
Jan 24, 2006, 01:43 PM
I wish the original poster would post something again..cuz frankly I think it was a B.S thread...He is probably cracking up at the big discussion he started...Let's let this thread die, cuz it's based on a bunk topic, at least that's my theory.

freeny
Jan 24, 2006, 01:53 PM
Easy to point the finger when your Typing from your £2000 Powermac, sitting on your £300 Executive chair with your central/underfloor heating on in your nice house isnt it?

Drug addiction isnt something you just 'choose' to do..... you know what - forget it

Look, if the OP wants any advice just give me a PM anytime.
This coming from one who's avatar is a rave girl with her tongue.. yea just forget it.
Fricken hypocrites.

Blue Velvet
Jan 24, 2006, 02:14 PM
This coming from one who's avatar is a rave girl with her tongue.. yea just forget it.
Fricken hypocrites.

What the hell is a 'rave girl'? One with yellow eye-shadow?
What weird conclusions are you drawing from an avatar?

iBlue
Jan 24, 2006, 03:33 PM
Fricken hypocrites.

i think that's adriana lima, you know the model (victoria's secret included her quite a bit) models tend to get made up with some outrageous stuff... but what would an avatar have to do with anything anyway?
take a pill man.
:p

Temujin
Jan 24, 2006, 04:31 PM
Iím really surprised of how cynical some of you guys can be.
We can only assume that this guy is telling the truth, and take his problems seriously.
I guess sympathy is something you guys just have to look up.

If a poster told you he was going to kill himself, would you then call him a liar and just let it pass? From what Iíve read here it seems you would.

Calling drug users idiots is just plain idiotic. First of all you are generalizing, and second you donít now **** about why people start using.
It can all start because of peer pressure or maybe from consoling your self, which might evolve into a regular addiction. Addiction is ďnormallyĒ caused by an emotional imbalance.

Some Russian orphans living on the street of Moscow inhale glue fumes to forget they are hungry. Are these children idiots too, or just unlucky being born the wrong place and time?

Some people just arenít as strong as some of you guys seem to be.
So get of your high horse, or just stay away from threads as these.

freeny
Jan 24, 2006, 04:47 PM
What the hell is a 'rave girl'? One with yellow eye-shadow?
What weird conclusions are you drawing from an avatar?
One sticking out their tongue with a pill on it has long been part of the rave culture and is representative of being on lsd.:rolleyes:
Even if its not a pill it is certainly in reference to being a pill.
Claiming that it is not a drug reference is just like Calvin Kline saying he wasnt glorifying heroin or child porn in the 90's.

Definately not Adriana Lima.

superbovine
Jan 24, 2006, 04:50 PM
I have no sympathy for drug users. Like its been said here, its highly addictive and anyone can succumb to it, which may be true but if you're smart/have morals or anything like that then you just avoid it.

i'd withdraw the moral and smart comment on drug use. some kids raised by parents who try and push "good values" on their kids and expect a lot from them might actually rebel against there parents and do drugs. Also, there is very intelligent people (ivy league educated) in rehab and sometimes very successful goal driven people in rehab as well. Drug abuse is a great equalizer and it doesn't just pick the poor, uneducated, and immoral. your view on drug abuse, even though your brother has gone through it is a bit naive.

Lau
Jan 24, 2006, 04:51 PM
One sticking out their tongue with a pill on it has long been part of the rave culture and is representative of being on lsd.:rolleyes:

I thought it was a grape. :confused: Maybe she's some crazy fruit addict, popping grapes and blackcurrants till she can't take the vitamin C any more, man. ;)

Stampyhead
Jan 24, 2006, 05:03 PM
I thought it was a grape. :confused: Maybe she's some crazy fruit addict, popping grapes and blackcurrants till she can't take the vitamin C any more, man. ;)
Ha ha, that's what I thought too. Glad I wasn't the only one...

Flowbee
Jan 24, 2006, 05:15 PM

It *is* a grape, isn't it?

Lau
Jan 24, 2006, 05:23 PM
It *is* a grape, isn't it?

Yeah, I think so. Either that or it's the biggest LSD tab ever known to man.

I think it's a grape, which is supposed to, you know, draw attention to the mouth area, which is like, hot, or something. Apparently.

skunk
Jan 24, 2006, 05:46 PM
Wow! Rarely have I seen so many self-righteous prigs collected in one thread.

vniow
Jan 24, 2006, 07:09 PM

I thought it was a giant tongue barbell. :confused:

skunk
Jan 24, 2006, 07:12 PM
I thought it was a giant tongue barbell. :confused:That had crossed my mind...:p

Blue Velvet
Jan 24, 2006, 11:15 PM
Claiming that it is not a drug reference is just like Calvin Kline saying he wasnt glorifying heroin or child porn in the 90's.

Having been at one stage part of the 'rave culture' with more than a passing acquaintance to many forms of drug use, I think you're talking through your hat.

And unlike you who seems rather fond of doing so, I shall resist the temptation to add a pathetic rolleyes to this because no smiley can convey my reaction to your outlandish and ridiculous claims.

iBlue
Jan 24, 2006, 11:32 PM

Definately not Adriana Lima.

i have heard him mention that it is a grape - but thanks for playing anyway.

freeny
Jan 25, 2006, 08:22 AM
Having been at one stage part of the 'rave culture' with more than a passing acquaintance to many forms of drug use, I think you're talking through your hat.

And unlike you who seems rather fond of doing so, I shall resist the temptation to add a pathetic rolleyes to this because no smiley can convey my reaction to your outlandish and ridiculous claims.
Yes its true. You are officially superior. Blue Velvet has spoken.
:Pathetic rolleyes:

several links to Blue Velvets use of pathetic rolleyes- ;)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2084686#post2084686
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2082659#post2082659
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2077512#post2077512

aquajet
Jan 25, 2006, 08:52 AM

Bah. The Good Doctor always preferred fine artwork:

vniow
Jan 25, 2006, 12:00 PM
Yes its true. You are officially superior. Blue Velvet has spoken.
:Pathetic rolleyes:

several links to Blue Velvets use of pathetic rolleyes- ;)

What is the point of this taunt again?

freeny
Jan 25, 2006, 01:02 PM
Apparently Blue Velvet has disagreed with my suggestion that BakedBeans avatar is a reference to someone taking acid. She claims that through her own experience with "raves" and personal drug use she has never encountered this reference, and therefore has strongly determined that I am wrong, ignoring the fact the there are more people and opinions in this world than herself. This of course has prompted her to make a personal attack on my "pathetic" use of the rolleye smiley. I then decided to point out several instances where she too has chosen to use the dreaded pathetic rolleyes smiley, showing that I do not hold a monopoly on this horrible social faux pas.

You are correct, pointless...:rolleyes:

mpw
Jan 25, 2006, 01:58 PM
Apparently Blue Velvet has disagreed with my suggestion that BakedBeans avatar is a reference to someone taking acid...
Just to add some more fuel to the fire...
One sticking out their tongue with a pill on it has long been part of the rave culture and is representative of being on lsd.
Claiming that it is not a drug reference is just like Calvin Kline saying he wasnt glorifying heroin or child porn in the 90's...
In your previous post your suggestions seem to be more definite statements.

I don't see any tongue or pill, the girl is clearly holding a grape in her teeth so your argument is pretty flawed. And I don't know what the kiddie porn and smack references are for, didn't Calvin Klein sell pants? Maybe you just see what you want to see in pictures?

yellow
Jan 25, 2006, 02:02 PM
I've always kinda figured the OP for a troll of sorts..

Blue Velvet
Jan 25, 2006, 02:10 PM
What is the point of this taunt again?

I'm not exactly sure but it sure is entertaining. :D

freeny
Jan 25, 2006, 02:19 PM
I love you Blue..

2nyRiggz
Jan 25, 2006, 02:25 PM
^this turn into the love battle '06? maybe the thread needs to be renamed The Drug Thread '06.

Drugs are bad........except ganja:)

Bless

sjpetry
Jan 25, 2006, 02:31 PM
This is why you shouldn't study for a drug test.;)

risc
Jan 25, 2006, 02:39 PM
All this anti drug stuff pisses me off no end. If you look at the creativity of Apple versus Microsoft what do you actually think the original difference was? Steve Jobs was a flower child, and Bill Gates was a poker playing, drinking geek.

Don't even get me started on music I think Bill Hicks said it best "See I think drugs have done some good things for us. If you don't think drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor. Go home tonight and take all of your records,tapes and all your CD's and burn them. Because, you know all those musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal f$cking high on drugs, man."

What I love most about the anti-drug types is all drugs are the same they are all evil, people who take them are all evil, or idiots, oh and of course the cigarettes, coffee, and alcohol aren't drugs! The only thing worse is someone telling us that marijuana isn't a drug when it is well proven that it is one of the best drugs out there for causing psychosis.

All of you anti drug types need to grow up the reality is there are actually drugs out there like LSD, and Ecstasy that people take because they feel good, are they bad for you yes, but then so are those cigarettes, coffee, and alcohol. There are also drugs out there made to keep you addicted and to make drug dealers rich, like speed, heroin, crack, cigarettes, coffee, and alcohol.

If the OP is being open and honest why do you feel you need to tear him down? All this thread has done has proven that some of you are pretty clueless, and not very nice people. How the OP came to take crack isn't at issue here, getting help to get off one of the worlds most addictive drugs is. Sometimes people need to hit rock bottom to start moving up, and here's hoping if this story is true that it does happen.

I'll leave you with something that happened at work yesterday. One of the notebook break fix engineers I work with was telling me how pissed off he was, and how he wanted to kill his neighbour because she is addicted to heroin. She has recently moved in to the flat under his, put there by the Red Cross so she has somewhere to live, and hopefully get her life around. Anywho I asked him why he wants to kill her, and he said well it's a pain in the butt everytime he needs sleep she's up playing music all day, and I asked why that was a pain in the butt? BECAUSE I'VE ALWAYS GOT A HANG OVER WHEN IT IS HAPPENING. Like some of the not so caring people here he spends his time telling me how she deserves to be chucked out in the street, hopefully she will die, he wants to bash her to shut her up, so he can enjoy his hang overs. What is the definition of irony again?

</useless rant>

freeny
Jan 25, 2006, 02:50 PM
And I don't know what the kiddie porn and smack references are for, didn't Calvin Klein sell pants? Maybe you just see what you want to see in pictures?
here are some links to help you on the Calvin Klein issue, perhaps this was a U.S. only thing;

http://www.nationalfamilies.org/publications/about_nfia/klein_ads.html
http://store.soliscompany.com/kpoco.html
http://archive.salon.com/mwt/feature/1999/03/12feature.html
http://www.caseplace.org/cases/cases_show.htm?doc_id=81952

aquajet
Jan 25, 2006, 03:00 PM
If the OP is being open and honest why do you feel you need to tear him down? All this thread has done has proven that some of you are pretty clueless...

I couldn't help but think the same thing. After reading through all the posts, I can only speculate that most, if not all of those who posted negative reactions have never dealt with drug addition, either for themselves or someone close.

mpw
Jan 25, 2006, 03:01 PM
All this anti drug stuff pisses me off no end. If you look at the creativity of Apple versus Microsoft what do you actually think the original difference was? Steve Jobs was a flower child, and Bill Gates was a poker playing, drinking geek.

Don't even get me started on music I think Bill Hicks said it best "See I think drugs have done some good things for us. If you don't think drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor. Go home tonight and take all of your records,tapes and all your CD's and burn them. Because, you know all those musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal f$cking high on drugs, man."

What I love most about the anti-drug types is all drugs are the same they are all evil, people who take them are all evil, or idiots, oh and of course the cigarettes, coffee, and alcohol aren't drugs! The only thing worse is someone telling us that marijuana isn't a drug when it is well proven that it is one of the best drugs out there for causing psychosis.

All of you anti drug types need to grow up the reality is there are actually drugs out there like LSD, and Ecstasy that people take because they feel good, are they bad for you yes, but then so are those cigarettes, coffee, and alcohol. There are also drugs out there made to keep you addicted and to make drug dealers rich, like speed, heroin, crack, cigarettes, coffee, and alcohol.

If the OP is being open and honest why do you feel you need to tear him down? All this thread has done has proven that some of you are pretty clueless, and not very nice people. How the OP came to take crack isn't at issue here, getting help to get off one of the worlds most addictive drugs is. Sometimes people need to hit rock bottom to start moving up, and here's hoping if this story is true that it does happen....
I'm not totally anti-drugs but your arguments don't hold a lot of weight.

Are you seriously saying that Jobs being high was what made/makes Apple great? That only drug taking musicians can write good music?

As for your charming co-worker, what's the story supposed to convey, pro-drugs? pro-stupid? irony? He says to you that he wants to kill someone because they use heroin, so you ask why he wants to kill her (didn't he just tell you?) so he says 'cause she plays loud music. So which is it noise or heroin use he's got a problem with? Would he be fine living over a quiet cocaine user? Would he kill a sober opera singer? He's an idiot plain and simple, not an example of the anti-drug argument.

iBlue
Jan 25, 2006, 03:05 PM

<snip>

good points. i love bill hicks and that is a priceless quote. --- his whole bit about drugs was hysterical. - "not all drugs are good.... some are great!" :p indeed. ;)

skunk
Jan 25, 2006, 03:06 PM
most, if not all of those who posted negative reactions have never dealt with drug additionOh, I've added plenty of drugs. It's the addiction you've got to watch for.

But seriously, all those po-faced "I've never touched anything in my life" types should reflect on the nature of addiction, not the substances themselves: how many "straight" people are addicted to money, power, sex, cruelty, religion and so on? Drugs are in some ways the least destructive addiction. Get off your high horses....(as it were).

aquajet
Jan 25, 2006, 03:08 PM
Are you seriously saying that Jobs being high was what made/makes Apple great? That only drug taking musicians can write good music?

I agree. That is pretty ridiculous.

Not to say that many great musicians didn't take drugs. Berlioz was a musical genius and had an opium addiction. Then again, Paul McCartney used drugs, and I don't believe he's particularly talented.

skunk
Jan 25, 2006, 03:09 PM
Then again, Paul McCartney used drugs, and I don't believe he's particularly talented.They were probably crap drugs....;)

aquajet
Jan 25, 2006, 03:26 PM
They were probably crap drugs....;)

Huh...I guess Lennon must have had a different dealer. :D

Peterkro
Jan 25, 2006, 03:34 PM

The gathering included a discussion of how early computer pioneers used LSD for inspiration. Douglas Englebart, the inventor of the mouse, Myron Stolaroff, a former Ampex engineer and LSD researcher who was attending the symposium, and Apple-cofounder Steve Jobs were among them. In the 2005 book What the Dormouse Said, New York Times reporter John Markoff quotes Jobs describing his LSD experience as "one of the two or three most important things he has done in his life."

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70015-0.html?tw=wn_tophead_1

Did Jobs experience have anything to do with Apple? I haven't got a clue,its seems to have effected his outlook though.

jefhatfield
Jan 25, 2006, 04:00 PM

two things:

1) as many have said, seek help for your addiction...i hope this works out well for you and there are a lot of resources

2) having studied labor and employment law, i agree with the lawyers who contend that drug tests are illegal and unconstitutional...and dr. dean edell also backs up the argument against drug testing on medical and ethical grounds

actually i have not heard a lawyer or legal expert of any kind (judge, law professor, human resources professional/legal side) say that drug testing is legal or ethical, but many an employer feels it's important to know the status of an employee

let's say i owned and operated a busing operation that picked up kids that went to private schools (who don't follow the same number strict laws in many areas that a public school would)...i would want to cover my legal butt and make sure none of those people did drugs, legal or illegal, or drank to excess in such a way it would make their job dangerous to the children being transported

i fully know and understand the law to forbid the invasion of privacy of the unethical practice of drug tests, but i can see where an employer finds themselves in a quandry

when i worked for a non profit corporation, and chaired another on the board of directors, and worked for the federal government in two different capacities, drug tests were not done or even mentioned and maybe in california there are some laws to that effect

there are some gray areas in law, even when it seems obvious that one side or the other is correct and has the documentation and consensus to prove it

i truly believe personal injury attorneys, in bad taste but legal, have made employers seek drug testing for their employees

watching the confirmation hearings of would be conservative judges all the way back to the days of president reagan strongly proclaiming their views on personal freedom, and being against drug testing in general does not change the fact that in our society, drug testing of employees will go on, and also unlawful search of employees and their belongings, and have most instances left unreported because of the employee's need to get and retain a job/career

in one landmark case in my area, my friend's father, who used to watch over us and do a good job, rose to the postition of ceo of a company and performed unlawful and even sexual searches of female (not male) employees as well as having had sex with a number of illegal alien women who knew it could mean deportation (in their minds/fears) if they ever spoke up...he basically broke a whole boatload of labor and employment laws and got away with it for years until his (forced) retirement where he remained free of charges

so if an employer could invade a person's (employee) to that level in this day and age, it is doubtful that the shameful, unethical, and illegal practice of drug testing remains

now i will play devil's advocate on my legal/ethical argument

let's say that drug testing does become law and generally accepted by doctors and lawyers (both liberal and federalistic conservatives)

it would have to be accurate and not mix up legal presription medications and foods (such as poppy seed muffins) with illegal drugs

it would have to isolate illegal drugs such as heroin from legal pain killers under prescription (such as oxycontin and mscontin) and never fail in its analysis of the blood or urine work

an employer would have to agree to take the test(s) himself/herself

an employer would not be allowed to give the drug tests to some employees and not others in a show of favoritism

only then would these drug tests hope to convince a large enough amount of doctors and lawyers

yellow
Jan 25, 2006, 04:10 PM
I'm sure he was made aware that his employer tested for drugs when he was hired.

jefhatfield
Jan 25, 2006, 04:18 PM
I'm sure he was made aware that his employer tested for drugs when he was hired.

yeah, and i am sure the usa and president bush warned iraq before unilaterally attacking them and taking out saddam...but later feeling the wrath of the western world's legal scholars and legislative leaders who were largely with us on the "first" iraq war, but not on board on this current one

the point i was making was the basic illegality of drug testing

but of course common sense would be not to do drugs in a culture that tolerates drug testing

belvdr
Jan 25, 2006, 04:20 PM

If the OP is being open and honest why do you feel you need to tear him down? All this thread has done has proven that some of you are pretty clueless, and not very nice people. How the OP came to take crack isn't at issue here, getting help to get off one of the worlds most addictive drugs is. Sometimes people need to hit rock bottom to start moving up, and here's hoping if this story is true that it does happen.

I'll leave you with something that happened at work yesterday. One of the notebook break fix engineers I work with was telling me how pissed off he was, and how he wanted to kill his neighbour because she is addicted to heroin. She has recently moved in to the flat under his, put there by the Red Cross so she has somewhere to live, and hopefully get her life around. Anywho I asked him why he wants to kill her, and he said well it's a pain in the butt everytime he needs sleep she's up playing music all day, and I asked why that was a pain in the butt? BECAUSE I'VE ALWAYS GOT A HANG OVER WHEN IT IS HAPPENING. Like some of the not so caring people here he spends his time telling me how she deserves to be chucked out in the street, hopefully she will die, he wants to bash her to shut her up, so he can enjoy his hang overs. What is the definition of irony again?

</useless rant>

Next billboard we'll see is:

COFFEE KILLS!

yellow
Jan 25, 2006, 04:38 PM
yeah, and i am sure the usa and president bush warned iraq before unilaterally attacking them and taking out saddam...but later feeling the wrath of the western world's legal scholars and legislative leaders who were largely with us on the "first" iraq war, but not on board on this current one

I wasn't aware that iRaq was in the employ of the USA? :confused:

eva01
Jan 25, 2006, 05:46 PM
we all know old poets wrote damn nice poems when on Opium

Samuel Coleridge anyone? Kubla Khan

Counterfit
Jan 25, 2006, 05:51 PM
Well, too bad he was wrong. Charlie Parker would have made amazing music without the heroin (which actually wasn't an addiction of choice in his case. He became addicted at 15 while in the hospital). Duke Ellington didn't use anything other than alcohol or the help of Billy Strayhorn, who didn't use them either. Miles Davis and John Coltrane made some of their best music (Sketches of Spain, Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew for Miles, Giant Steps, My Favorite Things, A Love Supreme for 'trane) AFTER they kicked heroin. Clifford Brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_Brown) suffered from two addictions: bebop and chess. I guess it helps if you're experienced with music made before 1960...

Edit: damn typos...

jefhatfield
Jan 25, 2006, 07:19 PM
I wasn't aware that iRaq was in the employ of the USA? :confused:

actually, they are in george w. bush's wrangler jeans coin pocket to be precise...it's really lodged in there and hard to get out ;)

macartistkel
Jan 25, 2006, 08:48 PM

I really wanted stop coming back to this thread but anyway, to start, I totally agree to the poster "Counterfit" who made a great post earlier on this part. Anyway this whole rant basically stating "DRUGS+ARTIST = BREAKTHROUGH music, films, etc." In some cases that has been true, but it wasn't all because of drugs...THAT MY FRIEND IS TALENT---most true leaders and talented people in this world are usually born with that factor. And most of the great ones ended up throwing it all away because of too much drug use so please give it a rest that drugs brought all of the great music to us.

Well I didn't say all drugs were the same and I didn't bash all drug users. There is a damn difference...and Steve Jobs was not a crack head. And alcohol is one of the worst drugs for some people in my opinion (and once again this thread should have been all about crack users since that is what the poster said he was on.)

I am sure crack is one of the best highs and that is why so many people get hooked BUT its most definitely going to screw up your life. Its just a fact.

The guy is pissed off cause he got a drug test and lost everything, the best thing for the guy is a dose of truth----if he was my boyfriend or friend I would have beat his ass already for doing this to his life. But fine, I take back what I said the other day about not feeling sorry for him..I feel sorry for people with any kind of bad problems.....BUT they are being stupid and if he is going to come on a message board and post personal stuff then its everyones right to post how they feel. STOP TELLING US WE CAN'T.

</useless rant>

Yes I agree with you now, very useless rant, but just wait until you have a neighbor that is LOUD and ANNOYING...you probably would complain too.

jefhatfield
Jan 25, 2006, 09:34 PM
I really wanted stop coming back to this thread but anyway, to start, I totally agree to the poster "Counterfit" who made a great post earlier on this part. Anyway this whole rant basically stating "DRUGS+ARTIST = BREAKTHROUGH music, films, etc." In some cases that has been true, but it wasn't all because of drugs...THAT MY FRIEND IS TALENT---most true leaders and talented people in this world are usually born with that factor. And most of the great ones ended up throwing it all away because of too much drug use so please give it a rest that drugs brought all of the great music to us.

i do think drugs and alcohol played a part of, let's say, the breakthrough music of the sixties (stuff i grew up on), but an equal, or even bigger part of the need for breakthrough music was the turbulent times that spawned it...for instance (vietnam war, generation gap, sexual experimentation, college riots, civil rights movement, women's liberation movement)

i am sure there are some talented people who were actually made less creative by the use of drugs and alcohol

overall, the music of the sixties i love so much would have been vastly different if drugs did not play a part but i am glad that i didn't get caught up in drug and alcohol abuse

i am starting to get more into bebop jazz and i was astounded to find out how much substance abuse was in those circles, too

macartistkel
Jan 25, 2006, 09:44 PM
i do think drugs and alcohol played a part of, let's say, the breakthrough music of the sixties (stuff i grew up on), but an equal, or even bigger part of the need for breakthrough music was the turbulent times that spawned it...for instance (vietnam war, generation gap, sexual experimentation, college riots, civil rights movement, women's liberation movement)

i am sure there are some talented people who were actually made less creative by the use of drugs and alcohol

overall, the music of the sixties i love so much would have been vastly different if drugs did not play a part but i am glad that i didn't get caught up in drug and alcohol abuse

i am starting to get more into bebop jazz and i was astounded to find out how much substance abuse was in those circles, too

I still think there is an "IT" factor with some people and maybe the whole thinking different thing drives them to use drugs as well. I never disagreed that the experiences some musicians had with drugs definitely impacted their music. The band I loved from the sixties is the Doors and I have always been interested in Jim Morrison's life story. I love reading about it and his relationship with Pam Courson too. Damn, it ALL involved drugs though! But exciting to read about!

jefhatfield
Jan 25, 2006, 09:50 PM
I still think there is an "IT" factor with some people and maybe the whole thinking different thing drives them to use drugs as well. I never disagreed that the experiences some musicians had with drugs definitely impacted their music. The band I loved from the sixties is the Doors and I have always been interested in Jim Morrison's life story. I love reading about it and his relationship with Pam Courson too. Damn, it ALL involved drugs though! But exciting to read about!

imagine if jim morrison, janis joplin, jimi hendrix, brian jones of the rolling stones, and many others didn't die from drugs/alcohol...and were still around

for all brian wilson of the beach boys went through, i am amazed he is still alive

CanadaRAM
Jan 25, 2006, 09:53 PM
To return to your original programming for just a moment

Chacala: Glad to see you are posting again. Did you find a place to live?

Chacala_Nayarit
Jan 26, 2006, 06:29 PM
To return to your original programming for just a moment

Chacala: Glad to see you are posting again. Did you find a place to live?

My employer got me a hotel room for the week. I am just drinking Merlot these days.

Peterkro
Jan 26, 2006, 06:39 PM
My employer got me a hotel room for the week. I am just drinking Merlot these days.

Welcome back Chacala.

Chacala_Nayarit
Jan 26, 2006, 06:45 PM
Welcome back Chacala.

Thank you :)

skunk
Jan 26, 2006, 06:57 PM
Easy on the Merlot.:)

Jovian9
Jan 28, 2006, 12:00 AM
Drugs are an amplifier.....
they do not make people good or bad......
they merely bring out the good or bad that is already in people......
everyone has a good and a bad side

RndmAxess
Jan 28, 2006, 03:19 AM
deleted

Counterfit
Jan 28, 2006, 10:35 PM
That's a pretty sad part in the history of jazz (well, not considering the music). Many many musicians of the time thought that in order to play like Bird, you had to live like Bird. That didn't work for the vast majority of them. Thankfully (well, not really), the death of Charlie Parker and the (sadly shortened) life of Clifford Brown helped change that. When Parker died, the coroner estimated his age at 55-60. He was 34. Those didn't stop everyone though, as seen in the death of Chet Baker.

jefhatfield
Jan 28, 2006, 11:16 PM
When Parker died, the coroner estimated his age at 55-60. He was 34.

if any of the rolling stones had died at 34, they would also have looked to be senior citizens in the 55+ range...especially keith richards

Counterfit
Feb 2, 2006, 11:51 PM
if any of the rolling stones had died at 34, they would also have looked to be senior citizens in the 55+ range...especially keith richards
A few years ago, I heard about a toxicologist (I think) who predicted how many years some famous rockers had left. Ozzy had about 3-5, a couple other guys had 10-20, and Keith Richards had...

-7. He should have died 7 years prior to the "study". Maybe he really does get blood transplants... :rolleyes:

Thomas Veil
Feb 4, 2006, 08:15 AM
Drugs are an amplifier.....
they do not make people good or bad......
they merely bring out the good or bad that is already in people......
everyone has a good and a bad sideReminds me of an old Bill Cosby joke.

"Guy told me he was doing drugs. I asked him, 'Why do you take those things?' He said, 'Because it makes you feel everything more. It intensifies your personality.' And I said, 'Yeah...but what if you're an ***hole?'"

SpaceMagic
Feb 4, 2006, 08:50 AM
I have no sympathy with people who require drugs to make them feel good.

Go to a shelter, stop taking drugs, grow up.

pseudobrit
Feb 4, 2006, 09:12 AM

Maybe you should volunteer at a shelter and try being a little more human. No sympathy?

mpw
Feb 4, 2006, 09:58 AM

I have little sympathy for people who choose to take drugs just for kicks, but those who require drugs to feel good I do.

David L.
Feb 4, 2006, 04:22 PM
Welcome to the USA! http://www.filmmusikwelt.de/Oliver/Smilies/biggrin.gif

SpaceMagic
Feb 4, 2006, 04:50 PM
Maybe you should volunteer at a shelter and try being a little more human. No sympathy?

OK, you're right. I do have some sympathy. I feel sorry for the fact that one requires drugs to be happy. I also have sympathy for people who want to get out of an addiction, people who realise they're ruining their lives. I don't have sympathy for people who snort coke at parties, take ecstacy for a high, smoke dope until they're unsociable just so they can get a high, the list goes on. There is a reason they're illegal.

pseudobrit
Feb 4, 2006, 05:49 PM
OK, you're right. I do have some sympathy. I feel sorry for the fact that one requires drugs to be happy. I also have sympathy for people who want to get out of an addiction, people who realise they're ruining their lives. I don't have sympathy for people who snort coke at parties, take ecstacy for a high, smoke dope until they're unsociable just so they can get a high, the list goes on.

That's quite a different class of people than the one you originally attacked.

Most people I've known in the "partying" category aren't/weren't physically addicted.

cwedl
Apr 27, 2006, 07:02 PM
YOU know what the answer is to that question is dont you:????? dont take drugs!!!!!!! love macs for what they are, without the influence of drugs!!!! ~~~

peace out man.

vniow
Apr 27, 2006, 07:10 PM
peace out man.

Was there any particular reason for bringing back this thread from almost 3 months ago?

IndyGopher
Apr 27, 2006, 07:56 PM

The only logical distillation of what you said, is "some people are "better" than they would be otherwise, in some way or another, because they are taking illegal drugs." Are you serious??

jadekitty24
Apr 27, 2006, 08:12 PM
Aw jeez...the beast has been awakened. :rolleyes:

pseudobrit
Apr 27, 2006, 08:12 PM
Was there any particular reason for bringing back this thread from almost 3 months ago?

No, but now it will probably be strung along for another three pages by those who didn't get to participate in it last Christmas.

Stridder44
Apr 27, 2006, 08:24 PM
Holy eff man Im very sorry....but well...yeah....

EDIT: After going from page 1 to page 8 I realize something's changed....we're not in Kansas anymore Toto.

Dagless
Apr 27, 2006, 08:30 PM

*toasts* Here's to a good few weeks having some excited discussions.

mpw
Apr 28, 2006, 12:36 PM
YOU know what the answer is to that question is dont you:????? dont take drugs!!!!!!! love macs for what they are, without the influence of drugs!!!!
:confused: So you've given the answer but I'm not clear what the question was, the last question in the thread befor you anser was 'No sympathy?', to which the answer makes no sense as far as I can see.

*ZIP*
Sorry I didn't realize my iSight was on!:o