PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired of waiting for my MacBook Pro and there's still a month to go :(

jacobj
Jan 20, 2006, 02:38 PM
OK, I know I have no right to complain and in all fairness I am not. I am just biting at the bit here.

I keep coming here for new news on the MBP, but it is thin on the ground because there is nothing really new to report.

Anyone else as pathetic as me?

NeuronBasher
Jan 20, 2006, 03:56 PM
Oh yeah, I'm pretty pathetic too. I should know better than to order things like this, I do not handle waiting well. My productivity is going to be shot for the next month as I browse these (and other) forums incessantly for the tiniest tidbit of information. It's sad. :o

dops7107
Jan 20, 2006, 04:02 PM
I keep coming here for new news on the MBP, but it is thin on the ground because there is nothing really new to report.

Possibly because everyone else is in the same boat as you... waiting inexorably for their latest gadget. Not much we can to to ease your "pain". All good things... those who wait.

T-Stex
Jan 20, 2006, 05:48 PM
I think everyone here who ordered a new Intel Mac and hasn't gotten it yet is in the same boat as you. It's inevitable that we're going to be going crazy waiting for our new computers.

Either that, or I'm just as pathetic as you, and most other people are normal.

jholzner
Jan 20, 2006, 07:50 PM
OK, I know I have no right to complain and in all fairness I am not. I am just biting at the bit here.

Anyone else as pathetic as me?

Well at least you are getting one :p I'm still stuck with my PowerMac G4 400 and it's killing me! the thing is getting pretty darn slow. The good news is that when I do replace it my new Mac will be a speed deamon compared to the G4 that even under Rossetta it'll feel like a huge performance increase.

excalibur313
Jan 20, 2006, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty bad too. I come to this site so much checking for news that some might think that it's my job. It will all be worth it seeing that sexy, sexy machine in my hands in about a month.

matperk
Jan 20, 2006, 08:49 PM
lol we're all so pathetic...i'm waiting for my macbook as well.

T-Stex
Jan 20, 2006, 09:00 PM
Anyone else go to the Apple website and check the pictures/reports of the MacBook Pro even though you've seen them all ten times already?

amin
Jan 20, 2006, 09:18 PM
Nope.

:)

T-Stex
Jan 20, 2006, 09:37 PM
Yeah... I don't either... just wanted to make sure no one else did either... because that would be weird...

noelister
Jan 20, 2006, 10:18 PM
Anyone else go to the Apple website and check the pictures/reports of the MacBook Pro even though you've seen them all ten times already?

I think only crazy people do that.........:eek: :rolleyes:

I have been there countless times!

:D

Anonymous Freak
Jan 20, 2006, 10:41 PM
My order is set to ship on Feb 15th, and to arrive by the 23rd. (Blast me for accepting the free shipping!)

I'm just as bad as you. And I have the side problem of a PowerBook G4 that's dying, so I really can't wait. I'm hoping my PowerBook lasts just one more month. (It's been dropped a few times, so it's not really surprising that things are dying.)

entropy1980
Jan 20, 2006, 11:22 PM
Ummm yeah I definitely don't do that, and ummm I definitely don't *ahem* check my order status page like 5 times a day just to see if has been updated....:D

jacobj
Jan 21, 2006, 04:18 AM

EVERY DAY :)

surroundfan
Jan 21, 2006, 08:17 AM
At least most of you folks already have a Mac. I have to keep using Windows for another month...

boombashi
Jan 21, 2006, 08:46 AM
Ummm yeah I definitely don't do that, and ummm I definitely don't *ahem* check my order status page like 5 times a day just to see if has been updated....:D

Yeah, and I wouldn't recommend scouring news sites podcasts and every forum on the internet looking for someone with new info. And looprumors.com might think that they might ship early. But I wouldn't know that because I'm not looking. :rolleyes:

kwajo.com
Jan 21, 2006, 11:18 AM
this reminds me of when I ordered my G5 last year and had to wait a few weeks before it shipped. I'd visit the website everyday, reading all the stuff that I'd read a hundred times before. I read tech manuals, looks at other people's setups, learned about the machine inside and out, I was obsessed! but the scary thing is that none of that prepared me for the excitement of when it arrived at my door and I tore open the box with a feverish hand. :D oh boy such mac-fanatical fun!

T-Stex
Jan 21, 2006, 11:30 AM
Although it might be bordering on obsessive, I think it's a normal Mac thing. I'd say that, on the whole, Mac users love their computers a lot more than others. And especially with a brand new computer coming out that no one has really even tested or wrote about, I'd almost expect this. I can't imagine ordering a new Dell and going crazy waiting for it to get delivered...

schmidp
Jan 21, 2006, 11:57 AM
I'm tired of waiting as well!

My order status says shipped by 15th but nothing about delivery. I've ordered the day after the keynote because in Austria it started at 7pm local time.
The Apple guy on the phone promised I'll get it in February.

In the meantime I'm looking for a decent backpack:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=174983

verbose
Jan 22, 2006, 10:43 AM
I have a ship date of Feb 15 also, but I'm thinking of canceling it, in light of the not insignificant savings I'd get from ordering from Amazon -- with a rebate and no sales tax. Their ship date is posted as March 23, but they always ship earlier. In any event, if I can be paid about $400 to wait a month, I will.

NeuronBasher
Jan 22, 2006, 12:05 PM
I took the opportunity to join the ADC at the Select level for $500 and use the hardware discount I got from that toward the MacBook. Turns out the discount on the MacBook was $500, so I basically got a free ADC Select membership out of the deal. :D

NeuronBasher
Jan 24, 2006, 07:36 PM
I'm so pathetic that I got my old 500MHz G3 iBook out of a drawer and hooked it up to see if would still run. Unsurprisingly, it booted right up, though it took it a little while. If it weren't for the teensy 10GB HD and the pseudo-broken display (have to have the hinge at the right angle +/- about 5 degrees or it doesn't work) I'd play with it a little more just for nostalgia's sake, but even looking at the UI makes me more impatient for my MBP since it's the only Mac I have.

Truly pathetic.

mac4drew
Jan 24, 2006, 08:32 PM
I'm so pathetic that I got my old 500MHz G3 iBook out of a drawer and hooked it up to see if would still run.

I'm waiting for a MacBook Pro as well... I've actually been using a 600 MHz iBook G3 as my primary computer since 2001... so I'm MORE than ready for an upgrade.

It's really slow and the HD is really lame because it's always full and I'm too lazy to actually clean it out because I'm getting a new computer. So it's just getting worse and worse every day and I'm just hoping that the day it dies will be well after February is over and I have my new mac in my hands. :D

Dammit why did they have to announce a month ahead of time!?

alep85
Jan 25, 2006, 04:39 PM
Seriously, this waiting game sucks. Sold my iMac G5 right before the convention cuz I just had that feeling. Bought a new MacBook Pro standard configuration except with a 100 GB 5400 HDD. You guys think it'll ship a little earlier than Feb 15th? Generally, with most PC makers, the PC ships earlier than the estimated date. Let's just hope this is the case with MacBooks and not the other way around.....:eek:

Mord
Jan 25, 2006, 04:47 PM
i'm in the same boat, but i'm not ordering one yet, i'm going to pick one up at the london apple store

this 600MHz ibook is still going strong

boombashi
Jan 25, 2006, 05:44 PM
i'm in the same boat, but i'm not ordering one yet, i'm going to pick one up at the london apple store

this 600MHz ibook is still going strong

I had an 800mhz iBook G4 (recently departed to the sea of eBay), and from the day I got it, I don't think I would say it was ever "going strong" ;) I have a Dual G4 450mhz tower that is faster than that ever was. It was very reliable, a great computer, and never ever crashed, but it was no "screamer" :p . I can only attribute the speed difference to the built in process sharing of OS X with the dual processor. I have a sneaking suspicion us never before G5 owners are going to by super happy with the speed, even in rosetta, of our newly acquired MBPs - bahhh can't wait anymore, I've been waiting for years for this thing ;)

jacobj
Jan 26, 2006, 12:56 AM
... I have a sneaking suspicion us never before G5 owners are going to by super happy with the speed, even in rosetta, of our newly acquired MBPs - bahhh can't wait anymore, I've been waiting for years for this thing ;)

I agree. Everytime I read something about someone not being impressed the the duos it is because they are running applications under Rosetta and then comparing it to a G5. I've got a 1GHz PB and it is slooooooooooooow. So for me the MBP (maybe even under Rosetta) will be "screaming".

I've waited 2 years now for this machine and then Apple make me wait another 6 weeks...how unfair is that! ;)

LastLine
Jan 26, 2006, 01:12 AM
I'm floating around looking for information on a 12" model ;) That'd sell itself to me :P

SiliconAddict
Jan 26, 2006, 07:03 AM
I'm actively trying to forget about it or mentally justifying the wait with being able to read through O'Reilly's The Missing Manual for Mac OS X Tiger Edition.

That and I'm still trying to decide on a bag for the thing. currently I'm eyeing WaterField's Cargo Mambo Combo bags. (http://www.sfbags.com/products/mambocombos/cargosuite.htm) Then there is trying to figure out how to migrate my iTunes music over to the MacBook. I found out the Apple geniuses aren't all that smart when it comes to how to migrate iTunes from Windows to OS X. They couldn't tell me if I could migrate the iTunes Music Library.xml and iTunes Library.itl and if it would "just work" nor could they tell me if I could go into the xml file and move the pathings of music files outside the iTunes folder and point it to the location on the MacBook. The problem being that on my desktop I have the following drives for music
D:\My Music\MP3 <--- All MP3's in there
D:\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music <-- All AAC files in there.

Dropping the iTunes Music folder into the iTunes Music folder on the MacBook should work. But there is the problem of what to do with the MP3 folder.
Thankfully I only have a couple hundred MP3's but its going to suck if I have to rate everything from scratch. :(

Anyways I have a bit of work ahead of me so there is more then enough to do to take my mind off the hardware itself. However I'm going to be pissed as hell if the date changes from Feb 15th to something later. There is rumors of serious MacBook shortages. I doubt just because I ordered mine 5 minutes after Jobs's keynote doesn't mean that I'm going to get mine before someone who ordered theirs a day later.

ekenny
Jan 26, 2006, 07:04 AM

LOL I thought I was the only one! I guess not. I also check the order status to see if the estimated ship date changes.

Im hoping to sell my iMac G5 (maybe on ebay or something) to put some of that money towards the MBP.

Other than that, I'm just waiting and counting the days in my countdown day widget.

TBi
Jan 26, 2006, 08:22 AM
Make's you wish Apple would do a hard launch with the MBP like they did with the iMac and the iPod nano. Imagine if you could have walked into an Apple store the day after they were announced and buy a standard model.

Actually don't imagine that or you'll get depressed :). I hate even waiting 3 days for something if it's ordered. However i'm not buying an Intel Apple until i can boot and run windows on it.

cal6n
Jan 26, 2006, 08:54 AM
Then there is trying to figure out how to migrate my iTunes music over to the MacBook.

This (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173) should enlighten you! :cool:

SiliconAddict
Jan 26, 2006, 09:39 AM
This (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173) should enlighten you! :cool:

Yah I saw that article while browsing Apple's support pages and forums.

Doesn't really resolve many of my questions.

-I don't want to consolidate my library so I'm not going to select that option. I like keeping the MP3's out of my AAC stuff because I've been slowly replacing the MP3's as I purchase or "find" the tracks.
-I'm going to do a gb crossover cable and transfer the files that way. (Plus I'd have to delete everything on my 60Gb iPod to get the music to fit anyways since I only have 11GB free.

What I did get off the article was that I can at the very least move the xml and itl files are compatible (I didn't see that the first time because I was skimming so thanks.)

The real question I need answered is if there is any way of editing the xml and itl files to point to the new location for my MP3 folder. My guess is no. So I'm prob going to have to delete all the MP3 files in itunes and readd the folder. . . prob under the iTunes Music folder. :( Its not a deal killer in any way just a PITA.

Bitteroot
Jan 26, 2006, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=SiliconAddict]I'm actively trying to forget about it or mentally justifying the wait with being able to read through O'Reilly's The Missing Manual for Mac OS X Tiger Edition.

That and I'm still trying to decide on a bag for the thing. currently I'm eyeing WaterField's Cargo Mambo Combo bags. (http://www.sfbags.com/products/mambocombos/cargosuite.htm)

As a quick sidenote, A friend bought a sleeve for his 12"PB from WaterField and has said noting but good things. I received my MacBook Pro sleeve from WF the other day. The Sleeve I purchased looks like it will offer great protection and the folks at WF could not have been provided better customer service.

ALoveSupreme
Jan 26, 2006, 10:22 AM
Hi,

I've also ordered a MacBook Pro shortly after it's release and I am also checking my order status again and again... But this has come to an end...

This is the perfect widget for everyone who is awaiting their new MacBook Pro or Imac Core Duo... :D :D

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/shopping/appleorderstatus.html

TBi
Jan 26, 2006, 10:24 AM
When i got my Mini i just plugged it into my iBook via firewire and let the apple wizard copy everything across. Why not let it do it that way? Unless you don't want to have everything go across.

The way i do it on the PC is to copy the itunes folder from one computer to another, putting it where it should be. As long as all your songs seem to be where they should be then iTunes should work perfectly. I.E. if your AAC's are in iTunes folder and your MP3's are in "your music folder"\MP3 and you put them in the same folder on the new computer everything should work.

Also there is an import and export function in iTunes but i've never used this.

ekenny
Jan 26, 2006, 12:03 PM
Hi,

I've also ordered a MacBook Pro shortly after it's release and I am also checking my order status again and again... But this has come to an end...

This is the perfect widget for everyone who is awaiting their new MacBook Pro or Imac Core Duo... :D :D

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/shopping/appleorderstatus.html

Awesome!

Anonymous Freak
Jan 26, 2006, 02:21 PM
As for the comment that non-G5 owners will be happy? Well, if reports are true, and Rosetta runs apps at the equivalent of 1/2 the Intel's processor speed, I'll be happy. I'm running an 867MHz 12" PowerBook G4 as my 'main' machine now. That means that for PPC apps, I'll be a little faster, and for native Intel apps, I'll be WAY faster.

Let's see:
Processor: Two procs, each 2.1 times as fast as the single I have now: 4.2x total. (867 MHz -> 2x1.83 GHz)
Cache: Eight times the cache (256 KB -> 2 MB,) again, running at 2.1 times the current speed. (867 MHz -> 1.83 GHz)
Processor bus: Five times as fast. (133 MHz -> 667 MHz)
Memory: A little over three times the amount (640MB -> 2 GB,) running at 5 times the speed (266 MHz DDR -> dual-channel 667 MHz DDR-2)
Hard Disk: Two and a half times the capacity (40 GB -> 100 GB,) at 1.7 times the spindle speed (4200 RPM -> 7200 RPM,) with four times the cache (2 MB -> 8 MB) (total throughput should be more than double.)

Yeah, I should see a major improvement.

Oh, and the only non-native apps I ever use on my notebook are MS Office v.X, AppleWorks, iWork '05 (don't see a need to upgrade,) and the occasional downloaded free game. (Google for Spinvaders, an addictive take on Space Invaders.)