PDA

View Full Version : What's your surgery?

floriflee
Feb 21, 2006, 12:02 PM
It seems nigh impossible to go through this life without having some run in with a broken bone or some body part gone awry. So.... what's happened to you? What surgeries have you had? What accidents/events have lead to strained or broken body parts?

Me?

My surgeries:
-Adnoids removed and tubes in ears when I was two years old. I don't remember it, but it's in my medical history.
-In-grown toenail removal. I was awake, but they still had to cut into me and use local anesthesia.
-ACL replacement surgery. I was completely out, thank goodness. Next Tuesday is the 3rd anniversary of the surgery. Tore it snow skiing down a hill where I caught an edge mid-turn. I shouldn't have done that last run of the night.... Rehab was a BEAST!

No broken bones, but a couple of sprained ankles.

Edit: Stitches when I was about two or three after cutting my thumb on some glass (three stitches).
Wisdom teeth removal

w_parietti22
Feb 21, 2006, 12:11 PM
I haven't had any surgeries.

I haven't broken any bones.

Is there something wrong with me?

pseudobrit
Feb 21, 2006, 12:22 PM

You're young.

ibook30
Feb 21, 2006, 12:22 PM
I had a fold added to my ear when I was young. Apparently- if it my ear had not been folded - it would have grown away from my head instead of beside it... probably not a good look!

floriflee
Feb 21, 2006, 12:27 PM

Do you get out much? Maybe you're just extremely lucky. If so, please spread the luck. :)

stonyc
Feb 21, 2006, 12:27 PM
Hmm...

Meniscus (cartilage) tear in my left knee from practicing Tae Kwon Do, this was around age 17.

Meniscus and ACL tear in my right knee playing street hockey, also strained the MCL... around age 20.

Elective custom waveform LASIK (20/10 in left, 20/15 in right) last year.

No broken bones, well unless you count a chronic stress fracture in my right foot from excessive running (has since healed, ie. no recurrence in the past 6 years or so).

eva01
Feb 21, 2006, 12:39 PM
8 ingrown nail surgeries

1 lateral release surgery

1 broken nose

1 ****ed up knee and shoulder.

w_parietti22
Feb 21, 2006, 12:40 PM
Do you get out much? Maybe you're just extremely lucky. If so, please spread the luck. :)

Well I play Lacrosse. One of the more dangerous sports. :) But I am 14 so I still have a long life of bone breaking and surgeries ahead of me.

miloblithe
Feb 21, 2006, 12:45 PM
Knee arthroscopy when I was 17. Initially a basketball injury, pre-surgury reinjury was playing soccer.

XNine
Feb 21, 2006, 12:50 PM
I banged my head on a wooden stare chasing my sister when I was three. Still have a scar on my forhead (and received stickes)

I had a hockeys tick go through my lip in 7th grad ein Gym class. I could fit my pinky finger through my chin and touch my teeth and tongue. Stupid girl didn't even get called for High Sticking! - 7 stiches

I had a cist removed from my right thigh when I was 15. - 5 stiches

I've broken my left big toe twice, once when I was 12, once when I was 13..

I had major reconstructive surgery on my left knee. Minimal stiches, 6 months recovery, had to learn how to walk again.

Months after my return from work, some illegal immigrant left chicken wire under the drop off from the house into the garage. I was carrying a spool of wire, didn't see it, stepped down, and sliced my right calf open. - 8 stiches.

iBlue
Feb 21, 2006, 01:00 PM
had a subdural hematoma evacuation (they removed a blood clot from my brain) it was the result of a skull fracture. honestly it wasn't that bad; i had a root canal that was more troubling to me than that surgery. i just didn't like having to be awake for it. all is well now, my hair grew back and i have a little tiny scar. the whole thing sounds worse than it was.

i had my wisdom teeth removed surgically as well (4 full bone impaction) and the complicated delievery of my son, but i don't wish to discuss that in detail.
i've had MANY MANY injuries but since this is about surgery :p

Blue Velvet
Feb 21, 2006, 01:18 PM
Well... ;)

Just went in for the 2nd time a couple of weeks ago and got an email from my surgeon on Sunday saying that a 3rd procedure will be necessary.

Joy.

BTW: Routers rock, USB modems suck... as I've just discovered in the last 30 mins. Netgear, I love you.

rdowns
Feb 21, 2006, 01:22 PM
Breast implants. :eek:

Ugg
Feb 21, 2006, 01:31 PM
Gallbladder removed and surgery to reattach the retina in my left eye. The last wasn't very fun as I was under but awake during the process. I'll never, ever forget the feeling of clanking instruments in my eyeball.

emw
Feb 21, 2006, 01:34 PM
My only set of surgeries was as a 6 week old baby. I had to have a part of my intestine removed (along with the added bonus of losing my appendix). Legend has it that the odds of my survival weren't exceptionally good (according to doctors), and that since I did survived, I played the "I could have died" card for most of my childhood (according to my brothers).

Since then, so far so good, as I've had no other surgeries.

mcarnes
Feb 21, 2006, 01:38 PM
I had to have penis reduction surgery. The damn thing was just too big.

floriflee
Feb 21, 2006, 01:43 PM
After all the kids have come I'd like to get lipo to get rid of the big butt that just won't go away no matter how hard I try. Depending on what else changes after kids... may need to add a few more things to that list.... :D

edge540
Feb 21, 2006, 01:44 PM
I had a broken fibula / slight break in the tibia. Had to go under completely and get a plate and 8 screws in my leg. Happened last October and still cant run perfectly or anything, takes time to heal i guess. Happened a month after i broke 3 bones in my foot too, so that semester completely sucked. I also had my 4 wisdom teeth out last summer.
Thats it for me...

floriflee
Feb 21, 2006, 01:46 PM
I had a broken fibula / slight break in the tibia. Had to go under completely and get a plate and 8 screws in my leg. Happened last October and still cant run perfectly or anything, takes time to heal i guess. Happened a month after i broke 3 bones in my foot too, so that semester completely sucked. I also had my 4 wisdom teeth out last summer.
Thats it for me...

How did you have all this breakage is such a short period of time??

Jaffa Cake
Feb 21, 2006, 01:46 PM
I've been lucky enough never to require any surgery. I've never broken any bones, either.

I'm probably tempting fate by saying that and will no doubt come a cropper at some point tomorrow... :p

nbs2
Feb 21, 2006, 02:45 PM
When I was 2 I split my big toe in half. It got stitched back together. When I was 19 I had a fatty cyst removed from the back of my leg (by an OB/GYN....long story). And last year I had my wisdom teeth removed.

All in all, a rather boring life for me.

(oh, broken bones? one thumb and one wrist - both playing soccer :))

XNine
Feb 21, 2006, 02:47 PM
When I was 19 I had a fatty cyst removed from the back of my leg (by an OB/GYN....long story).

Was it because you have a vagina on your leg?

Abulia
Feb 21, 2006, 02:52 PM
Broke a leg (left femur) but no surgery.

Had LASIK on both eyes.

Had two sinus surgeries to "clean me out" and correct a deviated septum.

Had my stomach scoped for possible ulcers, but that was outpatient and I was awake.

Two oral surgeries to remove wisdom teeth. I was out. Also two root canals that I was also out for. Dental work is the bane of my existence, it seems. :(

MacRy
Feb 21, 2006, 03:22 PM
Broken:

Left Femur
Left Ankle
Right wrist
Three fingers
Two toes
Neck
Back
Nose
Ribs

All but the neck and back seperately (car accident) and the rest through skateboarding and general accidents :)

Surgery:

Bridge put it nose
Tonsillectomy
Fatty tissue removed from chest
4 wisdom teeth out
2 ingrowing toenails removed
Lots of stiches for cuts and scrapes.

nbs2
Feb 21, 2006, 03:26 PM
Was it because you have a vagina on your leg?
Ok, now I have to explain it....it involves religion, but not to the point that this thread shouldn't get moved :D
Anyhow, I was on my mission (I be Mormon) in Chile. We had a mission Dr, and you have to remember that going on a mission is something that a person volunteers to do. Anyhow, this Dr. was retired and he and his wife were assigned as mission Drs. He was an OB/GYN by trade, but now he was responsible for helping about 1600 young adults deal with various ailments, from headaches to anything that didn't require hospitalization (we went to the hospital for that...). Anyhow, I developed a small fatty cyst no the back of my leg. When I would bump into it, it didn't hurt, but it would let me know it was there. I had two options - remove or let it be. I figured why not take it out. So he did. Real simple outpatient, local anestethic type thing.

iSaint
Feb 21, 2006, 03:33 PM
- Undescended testicle at age 12
- Broken collarbone at age 13
- Wisdom teeth at age 22
- Laser surgery for a virus on my retina at age 23 and again at 26

fairly lucky so far in life...

bodeh6
Feb 21, 2006, 03:45 PM
Sprained ankle was I was a kid
Nose surgery too stop excessive bleeding
5 wisdom teeth removed
Hernia - before I had that done my right testicle was much larger then my left for a few months.

Lau
Feb 21, 2006, 03:49 PM
I've escaped any sort of breakages and surgery. I've been very lucky not to have either - particularly the lack of breakages as I was always up to stupid stuff, and was a right tomboy when I was a kid.

Somehow survived jumping off my mates bungalow roof repeatedly, jumping off a train while it was still moving (albeit slowly), falling out of trees, ending upside down in a hedge on my bike, etc, etc. Somehow through all that I've got a few scars, a dent in my head (fortunately under hair!) and had a lot of twists and sprains, but somehow no breaks.

These days I'm a bit less insane, which is probably a good thing. :)

nomad01
Feb 21, 2006, 03:59 PM
I had grommets fitted in my ear when I was younger to treat Glue Ear.

Had my little finger relocated after bashing it out of place on somebody's head in a fight... I was about 13 at the time and screamed like a girl. :o

Hmmm... think thats about all though.

edge540
Feb 21, 2006, 04:41 PM
How did you have all this breakage is such a short period of time??

Well... the foot injury occured when a douchebag ran into me on his skateboard, and that tore my tendons taking some bone with it. The leg breakage occured when I rolled off a skateboard going down a half pipe. We really dont know how it happened as it was a clean fall and all. Guess im not going back to a skate park or getting on a skateboard. Ill stick to longboarding from now on!

mad jew
Feb 21, 2006, 04:57 PM
It started with copper extraction when I was a baby. Mum left me in front of the coin jar and I ate too many.

Then I had a cyst cut out of my eye when I was five. That was my unhygienic stage, everyone's gotta go through it...

Then I dislocated my knee and have had a few key-hole jobs done, which are always fun.

And relatively recently I swallowed a pin by accident and had to have it removed (yes, they used a giant magnet, no joke).

Coming up is some heart surgery I've been avoiding. Meh, so long as I get ice-cream after, I don't really mind. :cool:

CanadaRAM
Feb 21, 2006, 05:00 PM
You're young.
And that will change...

CanadaRAM
Feb 21, 2006, 05:01 PM
- Laser surgery for a virus on my retina at age 23 and again at 26

That would explain the patch...

ToddW
Feb 21, 2006, 05:08 PM
lets see,

stitches (30 back of head, 10 upper lip, 5 right eye, 5 left leg)
right hand broken (3rd knuckle)
right middle finger dislocation
various sprains and other dislocations (very minor)

various busted noses, and busted lips and other cuts scraps, strains.

mariahlullaby
Feb 21, 2006, 05:08 PM
Let's see...

-Tonsils removed at 2. According to my mother, I was a mess; I couldn't even breathe they were so inflamed. I remember getting there and that the OR seemed very out in the open to me. They told me I was going to be a pilot, gave me the little mask, and I conked out. Woke up and started yelling at th nurses for lying to me :o They also sent me home early because I was somewhat hyperactive...I err spent hours running up and down the halls with my mom running after me, pushing the IV.

-Broken arm at 5. That was pretty bad too. I fell off the slide at school on my head and had amnesia for a day or so (not full-blown, but enough that I had no idea what happened that day). They thought my bone had popped through the skin and had me in the OR, ready to cut me open and disinfect it -- then they changed their minds. But the arm had just about broken clean in half.

Strangely enough, I had been left handed up until that point (we were of course learning how to write, and I ate with my left hand, etc.) but since I broke my left arm, I switched to my right. Today, I write with my right hand, eat with my left, brush my hair with my left, brush my teeth with my right. It's sort of weird.

-Broken nose at age 5. Fell face first onto a basement floor. Bloody.

-This summer I'm scheduled to get my wisdom teeth out and get a deviated septum in my nose corrected (a deviation that resulted from the broken nose...we'd thought all these years I'd had seasonal allergies but it turned out it was the nose all along).

vniow
Feb 21, 2006, 05:39 PM
Nothing yet, not even a broken bone. My most intense experience in a hospital was getting stitches from a dog bite when I was little (don't even remember).

Some major reconstruction planned for about a year and a half from now, been waiting a long time for this although the recovery will take quite awhile...

iGary
Feb 21, 2006, 05:43 PM
Right-sided Laminforaminotomy and discectomy at L5-S1, L4-L5.

I rule. :D

floriflee
Feb 21, 2006, 05:50 PM
Right-sided Laminforaminotomy and discectomy at L5-S1, L4-L5.

I rule. :D

You make it sound so easy. :D

iGary
Feb 21, 2006, 05:56 PM
You make it sound so easy. :D

I decided to leave out the discograms and selective nerve root blocks.

I'd actually rather have surgery than get those done. Think 2-foot-long needles.

StokeLee
Feb 21, 2006, 06:00 PM
Two visits to A&E,
The first was a busted lip.

The second was a broken ankle.

For photos have a look here (http://homepage.mac.com/leebarryrichardson/PhotoAlbum11.html)

A broken ankle, in three places, not sure which bone, but one of the ones going down into the foot, knocked a weird bit off too, like the actual bit that goes into the foot :(
Had three operations. One to put a plate and 5 screws in, then another cuz of the weird knocked off bit, which meant one more temp screw, and then 3 months later another op to remove that screw.
So now im left with 5 pins and a plate in my ankle. And 9 months later, its still not right.

cycocelica
Feb 21, 2006, 06:10 PM
I have had no surgeries or broken bones.

I have been stabbed in the hand (9 stiches)

I have had multiple concussions.

I have smashed my head on a car windshield (9 stiches)

I have had shin splints

I have scoliosis (nothing major enough to have surgery or anything)

I have twisted my ankle multiple times (thanks volleyball)

I am 19

yippy
Feb 21, 2006, 06:40 PM
At 6 months old I think I had to have my tear ducts cleared because they clogged.

3rd grade (8 yeas old I think) I buckle fractured my left wrist.

At 10 I had a funny cyst thingy (forgot the name of it) removed from my neck...twice because it grew back the first time.

At 15 I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed.

17 I had a wart frozen off of my foot.

That is it and I am 20.

iSaint
Feb 21, 2006, 08:35 PM
That would explain the patch...

And it's on the correct eye, too.

Or is it?

*squint*

*squint*

yes, it is...

Oh yea, I had nickel extraction at age 5. Coinage is fun to mouth around with.

njmac
Feb 21, 2006, 08:46 PM
2 C-Sections
4 wisdom teeth removed
1 lipoma removed

wow, there are a lot of accident prone people on Macrumors!

GoCubsGo
Feb 21, 2006, 09:02 PM
Nothing yet, not even a broken bone. My most intense experience in a hospital was getting stitches from a dog bite when I was little (don't even remember).

Some major reconstruction planned for about a year and a half from now, been waiting a long time for this although the recovery will take quite awhile...
Reconstruction? Are you altering appearance to hide from the law?

Dale Sorel
Feb 21, 2006, 11:21 PM
Arthroscopic Knee surgery here ;)

Clix Pix
Feb 21, 2006, 11:25 PM
Due to being born with a craniofacial syndrome, Treacher Collins Syndrome, I've had, oh, I guess twenty or more surgeries in my lifetime. Not all of them were due to that, though: along the way I had the "routine" appendectomy and tonsillectomy, too, and then about twelve years ago went under the knife for surgery on a herniated lumbar disc at L5-S/1. My most recent surgery, back in 2001, was to implant tiny screws on each side of my head in the mastoid process area so that a few months later I would be able to start wearing bone-anchored hearing aids (BAHAs). Pretty darned cool! That was one of the easiest surgical procedures I've had, too....in fact, I found it less traumatic than going to the dentist for a routine filling or root canal procedure.

nospleen
Feb 21, 2006, 11:32 PM
Three surgeries for me, hernia, wisdom teeth, and I think everyone can guess the third. ;)

bemylover
Feb 22, 2006, 12:36 AM
I had no surgeries or broken bones for the firs 25 years of my life. 1 surgery after that.

Leareth
Feb 22, 2006, 01:25 AM
broken bones:
Nose x 4
Jaw
cheek bones
Skull fracture from falling object
Skull fracture from axe in head
Ribs 4, and 3
Fingers , all except left thumb, and middle fingers
Toes, big toe on right, pinkies and fourth toes on both
right ankle x 4 , sprain x 8+ awaiting complete reconstruction surgery so I can walk properly
left ankle x 1
Back - lumbar 5 and sacrum fractured in two places
No long bones yet...

Dislocations:
right shouder - volleyball
right hip x 2 hit by car both times by same car exactly a year apart...
fingers
jaw

Surgeries
removal of adenoids - 1986
removal of tonsils - 2001 ( ouch)
reallignment on nasal bones
awaiting a few...

Ok that is it...
;)

ejb190
Feb 22, 2006, 01:37 AM
Let's see...

Stiches in the palm of my hand from a home made lead rope while breaking a steer to lead.

Trip to the hospital (and ambulance ride) for x-rays after being kicked in the jaw by a steer. (Nothing broke, but I did get a wopping concussion).

And about a year and a half ago I had a pinched nerve in my neck from a ruptured disk. It still amazes me that they could get to my spine through the front of my neck... Took a few months to get the feeling back in my left arm.

Oh, I had a ingrown toe nail cut out, but I watched the Dr. do it and have cut all the rest of them out myself.

KC9AIC
Feb 22, 2006, 02:27 AM
I'm rather uninteresting in this regard. I've only had a couple wisdom teeth removed. I did catch fire while welding once and got second degree burns on my chest. Having skin removed in sheets is fun.

MacsomJRR
Feb 22, 2006, 02:42 AM
spays and neuters mostly but I also do...

oh, MY surgeries.

oh...

*slowly backing away*

bousozoku
Feb 22, 2006, 03:34 AM
The only surgery I had was optional and it was a septoplasty/rhinoplasty. No broken bones unless they were in my nose. So boring.

jalagl
Feb 22, 2006, 04:15 AM
Lasik eye surgery (20/20 baby!!)
Been stitched up a couple of time after falling while playing soccer as a kid (on some pipes once and against a wall the other time). Still have the scars on my head.

No emergency surgery nor broken bones, though.

Shaun.P
Feb 22, 2006, 06:39 AM
I have broken both my arms (on separate occasions) and years later fractured and broken my wrist - whilst falling down stairs at school. My mums friend (a nurse) insisted it was merely staved. 3 days later, I was taken to the hospital and it was fractured and broken! When I rotate my arm, my wrist now makes a clicking noise lol.

When I was around 10, 11, I fell off the top of a old fashioned bin, outside someones house, and slit open the inner side of my left forearm. When I fell, my arm never felt sore. I felt a sort of tingly feeling, and I looked at my arm to discover I could see inside it. It required 7 stitches - well I think only 6, the nurse said 'I may as well give you a stitch for each day of the week - wtf!

Lastly, I was stupid and managed to tie my 2 arms together with those plastic ties you get (the ones where you put the little bit of plastic through, and pull - and they don't get any looser you can only tighten them). My grandmother was watching me then and she started to panic. She got scissors and ended up cutting the skin between my thumb and forefinger. It required butterfly stitches, but I could see my bone!

kretzy
Feb 22, 2006, 06:58 AM
Nothing all that exciting here.

A few stitches in the back of my head when I was about 4. I fell backwards through a glass door. :o

Tonsils and adenoids out/grommits when I was about 8. And 4 wisdom teeth out last year.

njmac
Feb 24, 2006, 06:32 PM
broken bones:
Nose x 4
Jaw
cheek bones
Skull fracture from falling object
Skull fracture from axe in head
Ribs 4, and 3
Fingers , all except left thumb, and middle fingers
Toes, big toe on right, pinkies and fourth toes on both
right ankle x 4 , sprain x 8+ awaiting complete reconstruction surgery so I can walk properly
left ankle x 1
Back - lumbar 5 and sacrum fractured in two places
No long bones yet...

Dislocations:
right shouder - volleyball
right hip x 2 hit by car both times by same car exactly a year apart...
fingers
jaw

Surgeries
removal of adenoids - 1986
removal of tonsils - 2001 ( ouch)
reallignment on nasal bones
awaiting a few...

Ok that is it...
;)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

axe in head? hit by by car 2X.... Oh man, you have bad luck!

Patmian212
Feb 24, 2006, 06:46 PM
Well where to start!

1.I was 2 my sister broke my arm, she was swinging me by them lol.

2.I was 5, tricycle accident, no breaks, hit a fence 18 stitches near my right temple.

3.I was 10, I burned the inside of my right leg on a muffler, the scar is still huge about 6cm long 2.5 cm wide, just a huge patch of soft smooth skin with no hair.

4.I was 12. Got hit in the head by a guy skipping rocks at the beach, 5 stitches. The rock MISSED MY EYE BY 0.6 CM. :eek:

5.I was 14 broke my right wrist playing rugby, someone stepped on it.

6.Broke my index finger on my right hand, stubbed in basketball, I was 15.

7.15. Concusion my friend BY MISTAKE punched me in the head.

8.My 18 year old friend was driving me(he was tipsy not really drunk) on a scooter at like 2 am, hit some dirt backwheel lost traction, we crashed at about 30-40 km/h, I slid about 5 meters lost A LOT of skin on my right hand and couldnt touch anything for about a week(is it possible for finger prints to change?). We werent wearing helmets so thank god we are ok! My ipod survived perfectly since it was in my left pocket. Last year.

9.I was driiving my bike and hit the front break by mistake and flipped off, but I was only going like 10 km/h. Only some bruises.

10.I over worked out and had a SEVERE case of DOMS couldnt walk for over a week. Couple of months ago(dont know if you remember the thread I made).

11.Got a tatto, it was nasty and infected for like a week. About a 2 months ago aswell.

Aarow
Feb 24, 2006, 06:54 PM
I'm lucky enough to have never had surgery, but I have been to the hospital on a few occasions due to asthma attacks when I was younger (5 and 6).

mjstew33
Feb 24, 2006, 08:51 PM
I got my tonsils removed, if that counts. :o

I've never broken a bone... knock on wood. :o

jadekitty24
Feb 25, 2006, 09:18 PM
When I was 16 I had a large piece of glass removed that had been there for a few years and was finally starting to work it's way into my bone. My heart stopped for a bit during surgery but I got over it. A few years ago I had 2 wisdoms and 2 molars removed. The meds were nice. And about a year ago I lost the tip of my finger to an injection molding press, surgery would have been attempted if the ER staff hadn't lost my chart for a few hours. Funny thing, I had the tip of my finger in my freezer for 3 weeks without knowing it...I found it one day cleaning. It stayed pretty fresh...

dogbone
Apr 28, 2006, 10:47 PM
Bones:
Comminuted tib/fib, distal third clavicle and cracked scaphoid. A nurse T-Boned me while leaving a hospital driveway in a hurry. I got thrown up in the air and landed some distance away. I knew my leg was broken straight away which really pissed me off, but it didn't hurt much. Later the accident investigators told me that if I wasn't on a bmw I'd have lost my leg.

Surgery:
Had a tibial nail inserted and two screws no plaster, they only developed the technology to do this a few month prior. Woke up in hospital on a self administered morphine drip.

Unfortunately the nail was impinging on my kneecap. To check they pressed my knee down to see how much I would scream. gf was waiting outside.

So it was back in to surgery to cut my knee open again remove the screws and hammer the nail down a bit further.

Then it was back in again to remove the bottom screw, later it was more minor surgery to remove the top screw. Eighteen months later the nail came out. Eighteen months after that some keyhole surgery in my ankle to scrape away a build up of glob, (they gave me a video of that one.)

Sirin
Apr 28, 2006, 10:52 PM
I had to have a Brain transplant. Wasn't very pleasant. :(

xsedrinam
Apr 28, 2006, 10:54 PM
Meniscus tear, running, right knee: arthroscopic surgery.

vniow
Apr 28, 2006, 11:03 PM
Since this thread was brought back, I might as well mention that my first surgery aside from stitches is next Wednesday. My wisdom teeth grew in funny and they can't just pull them out, they're going to have to cut into the gum and jaw and break it up before they remove it. I have four that need to come out eventually but there's two that are really a bother. :o

According to the doctors I talked to it'll put me out for at least a day, apparently its kinda invasive. I've never had anything quite like this done before so I don't know how I'll react to it. I guess it'll give me an idea about how my body recovers, I still plan on having some more intense and invasive work done (not in the mouth thankfully) in about a year to a year and a half from now so this can be seen as sort of prepatory.

Geez, my mouth is going to have the most action in the past month than it has since my ex-girlfriend. :rolleyes:

freeny
Apr 28, 2006, 11:05 PM
appendix removal
lots of stitches when I was younger from being very accident prone.
cut off my left index finger through the top knuckle on a table saw. Reattached.:o

blackfox
Apr 29, 2006, 02:41 AM
...A disturbing amount of various injuries +
...Skull fracture from axe in head

;)

I have to ask how one finds an axe in his head?

There must be a decent story in there somewhere...

risc
Apr 29, 2006, 03:01 AM
The only major damage I've done to myself was smashing my face in to a tree while riding a down hill track on my moutain bike a few years back. Not much to tell here other than a nurse picking bits of plastic from my glasses and tree out of my eye.

dogbone
Apr 29, 2006, 03:13 AM
Since this thread was brought back, I might as well mention that my first surgery aside from stitches is next Wednesday. My wisdom teeth grew in funny and they can't just pull them out, they're going to have to cut into the gum and jaw and break it up before they remove it. I have four that need to come out eventually but there's two that are really a bother. :o

Just make sure it's done by a surgeon, and get the best. Also get them all out. Mine only needed a local and I didn't even notice. I had three at first but later had to have the final one out (as I'd been warned). My dentist said he'd do it but I didn't trust him although he'd excellent and went to a surgeon instead who did it in his office. He took it out sideways by cutting the gum removing it and stitching it up. Didn't hurt at all even after he anasthetic wore off. I asked him what would have happened had I gone to a dentist and he said the dentist would have tried to take it out normally and it would have broken into pieces and it would have been a terrible mess.

tangerineyum
Apr 29, 2006, 03:37 AM
i think injuries make for great stories, but i feel bad for my mother. mom is a teacher and most injuries involve her getting calls to the office which she has learn to dread the loud speaker.

1 year old attacked by a dog, 36 stitches. Saved by my corduroy overalls.

9 years old at school my head corner of concrete wall. 4 stitches

16 years old. Football-- hard collision with concussion. Also took one to the chin, bit down hard 10 stitches to reattach lip to chin. mom in the stands.

17 football-- broken fibula with some chewed up tendons in my ankle. mom also in the stands, this ones caught on tape.

22 in 2 weeks gonna have 2 wisdom teeth removed. again i must repeat, my poor mother.

Queso
Apr 29, 2006, 03:41 AM
Two operations on my right leg following a motorbike accident in 1994.

Broke a knuckle trying to punch someone in the face when I was 17, but they turned their head at the last minute and I hit their skull just behind the ear instead (ouch)

Oh yeah and two crowns on my teeth. Fighting again :rolleyes:

Deepdale
Apr 29, 2006, 04:23 AM
Tarsal tunnel procedure on right ankle (to relieve heel pain caused by pinched nerve in ankle socket) ... hernia repair ... ingrown toenail.

.Andy
Apr 29, 2006, 04:26 AM
I've;
* broken a bone in my wrist. It hurt heaps for a long time but no surgery.
* Had a broncoscopy as I was coughing up blood. Nothing wrong though.
* Had a cyst removed from my epididymus. Great fun. Also had the honour of meeting my scrub-nurse (she washed and shaved me) out of the blue at the shop I worked in a couple of weeks later - bonus!

janey
Apr 30, 2006, 06:25 AM
In regards to broken bones, just my nose.

Otherwise, I've slipped while doing martial arts and did some godawful twisting to elbow/wrist/ankles, and dislocated a few fingers playing basketball/football much to the dismay of my piano teacher and anyone who sees me type with 8 fingers. Also fell on my ass and hit the back of my head really hard on the ground a few times, for some reason usually snowboarding or playing ultimate, probably the most painful that I can remember. Once had a perforated eardrum, but that healed on its own. And I have my fair share of ER visits.

I only have 2 wisdom teeth, yay. Need to get them out someday.

But, I got 4 teeth extracted back when I was 11 or something for braces. Jaw's too small to accomodate all the teeth.

DrStrangelove
Apr 30, 2006, 07:24 AM
6 knee surgeries.

My last being a ACL reconstruction/full replacement-- patella tendon graft.

Painful but my knee has never been better. It's been 9 years since. I wonder how long these things last for?

iSaint
Apr 30, 2006, 09:11 AM

According to the doctors I talked to it'll put me out for at least a day, apparently its kinda invasive. I've never had anything quite like this done before so I don't know how I'll react to it. I guess it'll give me an idea about how my body recovers, I still plan on having some more intense and invasive work done (not in the mouth thankfully) in about a year to a year and a half from now so this can be seen as sort of prepatory.

Geez, my mouth is going to have the most action in the past month than it has since my ex-girlfriend. :rolleyes:

LOL!!!

I had three cut out when I was 23 or so. It was done by a dental surgeon on an outpatient basis. I slept for a day and a half and was fine after that. You won't remember anything in all probability.

Saluki Alex
Apr 30, 2006, 01:58 PM
4 wisdom teeth removed, and that's it for surgery.

I did have braces for almost 3 years, maybe that counts for something? :D

Oryan
Apr 30, 2006, 02:03 PM
I'm having all four of my wisdom teeth removed in two weeks. It's the first time I've had surgery.

Lyle
Apr 30, 2006, 05:22 PM
Colon resection at age 17, and a handful of other minor surgeries since then, for Crohn's Disease. Oh, and of course, arthroscopic knee surgery around age 20.

I had my wisdom teeth removed at some point in my youth, but I guess I never thought of that as surgery.

P.S. Resection = cut out a foot or so in the middle and then stitch the two loose ends back together.

Jay42
Apr 30, 2006, 05:52 PM
Chronologically:

Took off a mole next to my eye. I was 2, could have interfered or something

Stitches for hitting my head on something-don't remember.

Broke left humorous

Broke off most of my 2 front teeth. Had to be reconstructed.

Broke radius completely-car door opened into me while biking. Couple pins to set it correctly. Cast from my wrist to arm pit for 8 months.

Skiing accident (on a warm up run before a race): Fractured bone bellow eye socket. Hyphema (int. bleeding) in left eye. Had to reattach retina. Major road rash on the face. Had to keep still (sitting up) with eyes patched for 2 weeks straight in order to get the bleeding to stop. No TV, reading, movement of any kind. I slept sitting up. That was fun.

Cracked a rib and minor fracture in hand playing lacrosse. The usual.

Other than that though, I have been pretty lucky. Clearly the skiing accident was the worst, but I am very fortunate to still have vision in the left eye (20/20 actually). I do still see small black spots from debris though-but have learned to ignore them.

killuminati
Apr 30, 2006, 09:20 PM
Snapped my left arm twice,
Fractured hip,
A bunch of sprained ankles,
Many broken fingers/toes and many other minor injuries.

floriflee
May 1, 2006, 01:25 PM
6 knee surgeries.

My last being a ACL reconstruction/full replacement-- patella tendon graft.

Painful but my knee has never been better. It's been 9 years since. I wonder how long these things last for?

According to my doctor, you'll have arthritis in that knee in about 21 more years. Lucky us.... :)

floriflee
May 1, 2006, 01:28 PM
Colon resection at age 17, and a handful of other minor surgeries since then, for Crohn's Disease. Oh, and of course, arthroscopic knee surgery around age 20.

I had my wisdom teeth removed at some point in my youth, but I guess I never thought of that as surgery.

P.S. Resection = cut out a foot or so in the middle and then stitch the two loose ends back together.

The sister-in-law has Crohn's. Man, after all the graphic retellings of her worst episodes (not to mention her descriptions of the internal workings of her colon) I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I guess, though, supposedly once it's diagnosed it's one of the more manageable diseases, right?

Lyle
May 1, 2006, 02:22 PM
The sister-in-law has Crohn's. Man, after all the graphic retellings of her worst episodes (not to mention her descriptions of the internal workings of her colon) I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I guess, though, supposedly once it's diagnosed it's one of the more manageable diseases, right?Heh. Yes, I purposely left out the gorey details of the "handful of other minor surgeries." It's not one of your more glamorous diseases. ;)

I'm currently enrolled in a drug study which has really helped me out in the disease-management department, but for a majority of my life it was a real struggle to have a normal-ish life. I hope that your SIL is doing well.

SilentPanda
May 1, 2006, 02:45 PM
Ahhhh I can't even read this thread it makes me squirm.

So far not surgeries... thank goodness! No stitches, no wisdom teeth removed, no tonsils removed, no appendix removed. Far as I know I'm whole.

GanChan
May 10, 2006, 01:17 PM
I have a bunch of permanent metal screws (and a plate) in my right foot after a shattered heel had to be corrected surgically. It's taken the better part of 2 years to regain full function, and even now my flexibility/balance isn't 100 percent and I occasionally feel a little ache or pain in there, and some ongoing tingly/numb nerve sensations. But since I'm not an athlete or anything, my life is essentially back to normal and I'm grateful for that. I can't imagine what people did in previous centuries when this surgery wasn't possible. I guess they just wheeled themselves around....

count chocula
May 10, 2006, 07:23 PM
i'd never broken a bone until april 20th. i was playing basketball, and i'll explain how it happened if anybody wants, but to put it as short as i can: the ligament got pulled off the bone in my ankle, ripping the bone apart and taking chunks of bone with it. an avulsion fracture. i havent been able to play basketball (which is what i do during almost all of my free time). i find out next wednesday if its healed. its really annoying for me because i was soooo close to dunking for the first time, and i'm sure if i hadnt broken my ankle, i would be able to dunk right now. :( :mad:

gammamonk
Jun 5, 2006, 11:04 PM
Gallbladder removed and surgery to reattach the retina in my left eye. The last wasn't very fun as I was under but awake during the process. I'll never, ever forget the feeling of clanking instruments in my eyeball.

OMG. That has got to be the most horrible thing I've ever heard.

I had a dental surgery while awake. (you should floss everyday-- just trust me) And that was the most horrible thing I've been thru. Just like you feel the waves on land after spending a day boating, I felt the numb knife into gum and bone feeling for 2 days. I can't imagine the feeling of that happening to my EYE!

Dale Sorel
Jun 5, 2006, 11:46 PM
6 knee surgeries.
Arthroscopic knee surgery here too.

wrc fan
Jun 6, 2006, 12:22 AM
I've had one real surgery... but it's something I never talk about.
I've had a total of 8 teeth removed in 2 oral surgeries (1st for braces, 2nd time wisdom).
I need to have surgery on my right shoulder to fix loose tendons or something (I've dislocated it 6 times).
Never broken any bones
I've had stitches too many times to list.

Boggle
Jun 6, 2006, 07:34 PM
Two abodominal tear repairs, one operation (basically a really high-up hernia) '05
Scope left shoulder '93
Break and reset right ankle '94
Exploratory surgery after a rock climbing accident. '92

Edit: Having just gone back to start of thread...
every single finger and toe, at least once.

exeterbohemian
Jun 6, 2006, 11:27 PM
well, the only real 'surgery' i've ever had was when they took my wisdom teeth out. i found the swiftness of the anaesthesia to be overwhelmingly fascinating. 'am i supposed to feel tire...(?)'. next thing i know i'm in another room sitting up with a mouth full of gauze and a head full of painkillers. what a fun week that turned out to be. :cool: